PDA

View Full Version : players we sold which ended up being dumb business

FromOz
24-4-09, 13:10
Would a fit Kewell have meant a better left hand edge in 2009?

Would Guthrie have been a better foil then Lucas?

Could Baros have shone with Stevie in support?

Who have we sold that we all wish we should have kept in the last 5 years??

Andyfagan
24-4-09, 13:11
All of those were smart sells.

dickiesboy
24-4-09, 13:11
Luis Garcia & Djib

-RedRafa-
24-4-09, 13:12
A fit Kewell??

There is no such thing.

I've read a couple of your posts today, are you drunk or something?

Andyfagan
Keeping on track with the thread, I'm sure Anelka will get a mention.

I'd argue Cissé may have been useful this season, but his sale meant we could afford Torres, so it wasn't really that bad a bit of business...

GoatApocalypse
Over the past few years, only Warnock springs to mind.

Andyfagan
24-4-09, 13:13
Luis Garcia & Djib

García's done nothing since he left us, it could be that we sold him just at the right time.

fernandothelegend
24-4-09, 13:14
Crouch if he had of settled as backup for torres and would of loved to have seen bellamy and torres together.

Andyfagan
24-4-09, 13:15
Crouch if he had of settled as backup for torres and would of loved to have seen bellamy and torres together.

Nah, selling Crouch was a good bit of business. He didn't want to stay here and I'd rather have the £9m we got for him than have him sulking on the bench.

FromOz
24-4-09, 13:16
A fit Kewell??

There is no such thing.

I've read a couple of your posts today, are you drunk or something?

why...its not like i said we should have kept Cheyrou....or worse...Sissoko!

dickiesboy
24-4-09, 13:17
I don't think getting rid of luis and djib was bad business, just maybe nice to still have them in the squad.

Luis had that ability to pop up in important champions league games.

Still though if selling those 2 gave us Torres then it's a no brainer.

fernandothelegend
24-4-09, 13:17
Nah, selling Crouch was a good bit of business. He didn't want to stay here and I'd rather have the £9m we got for him than have him sulking on the bench.

With torres injured he would of been great to leed the line and for a goal in the last 30 mins. It was great buisness to get close to 12 million but if we could of i would of kept him.

KryptonKop
24-4-09, 13:18
we should never have sold steve staunton first time round....man that WAS stupid.

Andyfagan
24-4-09, 13:19
With torres injured he would of been great to leed the line and for a goal in the last 30 mins. It was great buisness to get close to 12 million but if we could of i would of kept him.

I guess so. Having said that, there was no way of predicting Torres' lengthy injury spells.

I also seem to remember despising the football we played with Crouch in the team.

fernandothelegend
24-4-09, 13:22
I guess so. Having said that, there was no way of predicting Torres' lengthy injury spells.

I also seem to remember despising the football we played with Crouch in the team.

We still play the same way with carra hoofing towards torres who at times his service is dreadful. Hindsight is wonderful and i was so excited when keane signed so what do i know. I don't believe we have sold anyone that we are devestated to lose.

Mountainman
24-4-09, 13:24
Crouch, willing to be back up.

Ganymede
24-4-09, 13:26
We should have kept Garcia & Crouch.

Andyfagan
24-4-09, 13:26
We still play the same way with carra hoofing towards torres who at times his service is dreadful. Hindsight is wonderful and i was so excited when keane signed so what do i know. I don't believe we have sold anyone that we are devestated to lose.

We don't play the same way. Carragher will always hoof the ball, but with Crouch on the pitch ALL of our players were doing it.

baglanboy
24-4-09, 13:28
Dean Saunders
Ray Houghton
Peter Beardsley

better than
Ronnie Roz
Mike Marsh
Paul Stewart

dickiesboy
24-4-09, 13:30
In more recent times the worst bit of business is definately not signing Anelka and briging in Diouf and Cheyrou instead.

Seanosdelgardo
24-4-09, 13:33
I was always a bit miffed when we sold Beardsley.

fernandothelegend
24-4-09, 13:33
In more recent times the worst bit of business is definately not signing Anelka and briging in Diouf and Cheyrou instead.

You mean the new zidane.

Wowbagger
24-4-09, 13:36

"A fit kewell". A good oxymoron if i ever saw one.

dickiesboy
You mean the new zidane.

Yeah thats the one.The original new Zidane!

aylesbyred

Garcia was incredibly frustrating; brilliant and cack all in the space of ten minutes. He gave the ball away more the Kuyt and that's saying something.

fernandothelegend
24-4-09, 13:39

We got the better version of garcia in the best jew in the world israels captain yossi benayoun.

RedBaros
24-4-09, 13:39

I also think it was a shame Bellamy left, Carra spoke highly of him in his book.
A winning mentality, heart on sleeve and a funny guy, good for dressing room morale. Carra highlighted this with the golf swing goal celebration.
We'd probably have a minimum 2 more points if he'd stayed..

fernandothelegend
24-4-09, 13:42
I also think it was a shame Bellamy left, Carra spoke highly of him in his book.
A winning mentality, heart on sleeve and a funny guy, good for dressing room morale. Carra highlighted this with the golf swing goal celebration.
We'd probably have a minimum 2 more points if he'd stayed..

Agree mate he would of been brilliant when torres was injured and as i said i would of loved to see bellamy and tores together. They're pace who scare any defender in world football. Bellamy cause vidic havoc at anfield two years ago and torres we know what he done to vidic.

waittillmay
24-4-09, 13:43
Garcia was incredibly frustrating; brilliant and cack all in the space of ten minutes. He gave the ball away more the Kuyt and that's saying something.

???:confused: WTF

truered1984
24-4-09, 13:48
why...its not like i said we should have kept Cheyrou....or worse...Sissoko!

Personally I think Sissoko would've been handy to have when Masch wasn't available. Problem was he wanted regular football and when you have the best defensive mid in the world ahead of you you're not gonna get games.

aylesbyred
24-4-09, 13:54
???:confused: WTF

whats up ?

Cossey
24-4-09, 16:04
going back a few years but we never should have sold Dean Saunders or Steve Staunton. Closer to now we defo should have held on to Anelka.

-SP7-
24-4-09, 16:09
I don't think I'll ever jump on the we should have kept Anelka bandwagon.

FlabbyAlonso
24-4-09, 16:23
going back a few years but we never should have sold Dean Saunders or Steve Staunton. Closer to now we defo should have held on to Anelka.

Staunton ! He was simply average in a good team. His main aim was to launch the ball towards the centre of the oppositions penalty area from the left hand side.

50P-WSTB-Head
24-4-09, 16:25
Biscan springs to mind.

GordonBennett
24-4-09, 16:27
Sinama-Pongolle definitely!!

Luis Garcia was also good at changing games a la Benayoun.

GordonBennett
24-4-09, 16:28
also arguably Danny Murphy I suppose!

FlabbyAlonso
24-4-09, 16:52
Michael Owen :eek:

Cossey
24-4-09, 16:54
Staunton ! He was simply average in a good team. His main aim was to launch the ball towards the centre of the oppositions penalty area from the left hand side.

Staunton was solid and a great footballer with a sweet left foot. I remember him scoring for Ireland twice from corners. Brilliant player in the dennis irwin mould.

Also agree about Sinama Pongolle, I never really though he was given enough chances, but when he did always looked good.

Stevieq3
24-4-09, 16:54
Steve Finnan would have been good to keep in my opinion. Don't know how he's getting on now though, he was a solid worker.

Cossey
24-4-09, 16:58
Sorry also I agree with Danny Murphy, i know we won the champions league that year but I can't help thinking our league form would have been better with Danny there, a hell of alot better than Nunez anyway.

christhered
24-4-09, 17:46
Garcia was never cut out for the weekly grind of the premiership, sick of hearing how we shouldnt have sold him, even thou he was a fanatstic player to have for the big occasions.

matismith14
24-4-09, 17:55
Riise, as then we wudn't hav signed Dossena and *** hav sold Riise at the end of this season now that Insua is ready

KopiteCal
11-4-12, 02:16

3 Years on and Kewell is un-heared of, Guthrie is ok but not as good as Lucas. Baros is playing abroad somewhere and is hardly ever heared of. Should have kept Crouch. Totally pointless getting rid of him

prredhouse
11-4-12, 02:20
navel gazing