PDA

View Full Version : The Lavezzi Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Fowi
8-10-08, 09:46
Napoli striker Ezequiel Lavezzi has told Chelsea that he is not interested in joining them as he is happy at the San Paolo and the glitz and glamour lifestyle in West London doesn't appeal.

Reports in both Italy and England suggest that the billionaire club are ready to throw a suitcase at Napoli director Pierpaolo Marino in an attempt to convince him to part-company with his star man.

The transfer Guru said there was no chance of that happening and now El Pocho has backed him up by revealing he has no intention of swapping Naples for London.

"Chelsea? They are not in my plans," Lavezzi told Positano News.

"I am enjoying the sun and life here in Campania. I have nothing against London or England but here it's marvelous."

The English side are keen on the hit-man and saw him as an interim replacemement for injured striker Didier Drogba.

However, Lavezzi is loved by club and fans. Always being described as the new 'Maradona', it's highly unlikely that the player will be released from the shackles in the port city.

Good man. :D:D

RickJC
8-10-08, 09:52
I thought Sergio Aguero was the new Maradona :confused: will Argentina play with 11 Maradona's at the world cup?

Fowi
8-10-08, 09:53
Lavezzi = new Tevez
Messi = new Maradona
Aguero = new Messi

That's the current status. :)

grenny158
8-10-08, 10:00
Lavezzi = new Tevez
Messi = new Maradona
Aguero = new Messi

That's the current status. :)

You forgot one:

Torres = new God

RickJC
8-10-08, 10:00
Got ya ;)

I think he'd make a good replacement for Kuyt, he's strong, skillful, good shot on him, can use both feet and quick which is what we need on the right.

ThirdPaul
8-10-08, 10:02
ready to throw a suitcase at Napoli director

Interesting negotiating ploy :)

poolneverdie
2-11-08, 22:49
The next prince in Napoli, after Maradona is "Ezequiel Lavezzi".....OOW I say. Did anybody see the match between Milan vs Napoli tonight....this lad was incredible to watch.....I hope Liverpool scout him and get him before chelsea do.

LordJamieOfCarragher
2-11-08, 22:53
Happy at Napoli though, has already said no thanks to Chelsea.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
2-11-08, 22:56
He's too lightweight for the premier league, where has he been until now, i'd rather have keane yak yak yak yak...

Fowi
3-11-08, 10:15
Fantastic player.

bono
3-11-08, 11:01
Well I am happy you saw him yesterday...Been watching him since last year and he's one hell of a player. Thing is that he won't move... And if you think no one has heard of him (clubs) let me tell you that half europe is raving about the guy. Him and Hamsik are doing a fantastic job at Napoli.

Fowi
3-11-08, 11:16
Well I am happy you saw him yesterday...Been watching him since last year and he's one hell of a player. Thing is that he won't move... And if you think no one has heard of him (clubs) let me tell you that half europe is raving about the guy. Him and Hamsik are doing a fantastic job at Napoli.

Agree with that. He began playing well when Napoli were in Seria B but has taken his game to a whole new level now.

bono
3-11-08, 11:19
Agree with that. He began playing well when Napoli were in Seria B but has taken his game to a whole new level now.

And to be honest yesterday was the only player of Napoli who wasn't shy/Afraid to beat a player and half a pop at goal. All Napoli suffered from one thing yesterday 'Big match factor'

Fowi
3-11-08, 11:20
And to be honest yesterday was the only player of Napoli who wasn't shy/Afraid to beat a player and half a pop at goal. All Napoli suffered from one thing yesterday 'Big match factor'

They did but the ref was not generous either. He sent off Maggio and then didn't send off Kaka. The penalty was a disgrace as well. They would have held on if it wasn't for the stupidity of Denis. What was he doing there? Nobody even pressuring him.

bono
3-11-08, 11:23
They did but the ref was not generous either. He sent off Maggio and then didn't send off Kaka. The penalty was a disgrace as well. They would have held on if it wasn't for the stupidity of Denis. What was he doing there? Nobody even pressuring him.

Sending off of Maggio was right imo... same as Kaka to be honest. Could easily have been a straight red. The penalty is debatable but I/We have seen worse given. For me it wasn't as the player was a yard away from the ball and jumped with his hands almost behind his back...

What was Denis doing?? ask Carra.. On a serious note... that what happens when you have a striker defending that kind of ball...He scores:)

Fowi
3-11-08, 11:26
At least Carra was under pressure. There was nobody around Denis for 2 meters. He should have been taken off sooner as well as he was just standing around doing nothing.

I do think the sending off was fair but then Kaka should have been sent off as well.

What about Pato's chance? It was easier to score than to miss.

Liverdinner
3-11-08, 11:28
wow he looks good i hope we sign him however unlikely

crobra
3-11-08, 11:30
He played really well yesterday!!

Liverdinner
3-11-08, 11:31
hed leave us short defensively but hed be a huge new weapon in our armoury

all efforts ust be to sign him

bono
3-11-08, 11:33
At least Carra was under pressure. There was nobody around Denis for 2 meters. He should have been taken off sooner as well as he was just standing around doing nothing.

I do think the sending off was fair but then Kaka should have been sent off as well.

What about Pato's chance? It was easier to score than to miss.

True true... as for pato's chance... seen better chances gone wide than that to be honest

Fowi
3-11-08, 11:35
Pato has been underwhelming. It seems he's going backwards in his development. Maybe Italy was not right for him seeing how he relies mostly on his pace.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
6-5-09, 09:50
Juventus have come to an agreement with the agent of Argentine striking star Ezequiel Lavezzi, according to Press reports.

The Old Lady will look to strengthen their squad this summer after their 2008-09 campaign fizzled out.

Sporting director Alessio Secco has a vast number of alleged targets, but a long-term ambition has been to bring Lavezzi to Turin.

The man known as 'El Pocho' has become a hero in Naples over the last two years and even has a pizza named after him in the city.

However, with the Vesuviani destined for mid-table, Lavezzi may look to relocate to one of the peninsula's giants.

According to Turin-based newspaper Tuttosport, a deal has already been agreed between Lavezzi's agent and Juve that will see the player net nearly £2.5m per season for five years.

However, the two clubs must still reach an agreement and Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis is unlikely to accept an offer short of £15m.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Not seen much of him myself, but i know others on here cream about him.

bono
6-5-09, 11:02
Very very good player. Been watching him every week for 2 years now. Sorry to tell you that the reports are rubbish. Nothing concrete yet

Fowi
6-5-09, 11:05
He plays with so much passion and determination. You have to admire that. He is one of those players admired by both his own and opposition supporters.

sevenman
6-5-09, 11:05
I'd like to add that the Italian league is about as interesting as watching a snail slowly swish across the garden path, I find it very dull these days and a struggle to watch. Maybe it's down to the lack of real class players perhaps.

bono
6-5-09, 11:07
He plays with so much passion and determination. You have to admire that. He is one of those players admired by both his own and opposition supporters.

Yep..in certain ways I do compare him with Tevez

-Monk-
6-5-09, 11:09
Very very good player, on pro evo :p

Can't say I've seen him play to be honest.

Fowi
6-5-09, 11:10
I'd like to add that the Italian league is about as interesting as watching a snail slowly swish across the garden path, I find it very dull these days and a struggle to watch. Maybe it's down to the lack of real class players perhaps.

The class players are there. The problem is the financial situation which makes the club only focus on class player and neglecting "water carriers". These support players are considerably weaker than in England, which is why Italian clubs have failed in Europe. The very best players can't even get a chance to shine in European games because the support players are eaten alive in games.

welshypool
6-5-09, 11:20
The class players are there. The problem is the financial situation which makes the club only focus on class player and neglecting "water carriers". These support players are considerably weaker than in England, which is why Italian clubs have failed in Europe. The very best players can't even get a chance to shine in European games because the support players are eaten alive in games.

Agree totally about the support players

Not sure on the financial thing, at the top end at least, the Milan clubs are paying massive wages on some of their star names.
Seems they have no trouble attracting big names, as you say its the lack of support around these players...and the fact that tactically maybe they're in increasing danger of falling years behind.

Inter for example looked better at Old Trafford after they were behind in the 2nd leg and could of grabbed some goals there , seems a few italian clubs are far better when they have to chase and play with energy and purpose, but its often too late after they've gone behind and they're own tactics seem to stifle them.
Also becomes a mental block or problem as the seasons go by.

sevenman
6-5-09, 11:21

Yeah maybe you're right. It seems a lifetime ago that the likes of Batistuta, Vieri and the like were ripping it up in Italy. It seems as though nobody has stepped in the shoes of these players to the same level with Ibrahimovic being the main man who scores for fun.

Gazza74
6-5-09, 11:43
Cool

I like Juve in Italy so another very good player to add to there squad and team of course as he'll play for sure.:)

Liverdinner
6-5-09, 12:54
Juve are my italian team , but how stupid are Napolit selling best player and revenue magnet.

Fowi
6-5-09, 13:22
Juve are my italian team , but how stupid are Napolit selling best player and revenue magnet.

Napoli are a mid-table club. If Lavezzi wants to go then there is not much they can do.

Liverdinner
6-5-09, 13:23
Napoli are a mid-table club. If Lavezzi wants to go then there is not much they can do.

Boost wages-free sexual favours, anything to keep him there he has a contract and make him stick.

If he is prepared to go to Juve then we should table a bid.

takingmeballhome
8-5-09, 12:57
Anyone seen this? Looks interesting. Haven't heard much about him. Anyone seen him play.

Got me thinking - see below copy.

- Liverpool have been told to forget about launching a €20 million summer bid for Napoli’s Ezequiel Lavezzi.

Rafa Benitez is desperate to add a world class attacking talent to play alongside Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard next season, following the failure of Tottenham's Robbie Keane.

Lavezzi is the current Napoli number seven, a man dubbed ‘the new Maradona’ during his time at Boca Juniors although his style of football has also drawn comparisons to Carlos Tevez.

Benitez wants to find a man who can ‘float between the lines’ and, while seven league goals in 28 appearances in not prolific, Lavezzi has creativity in abundance.

Reports suggest Liverpool would be ready to match the €20 million they spent on Robbie Keane to land the Napoli star, but club director Pierpaolo Marino insists both Lavezzi and Marek Hamsik will not be sold.

"He and Hamsik will not move, so write it on a sign," Marino told Calciomercato.

Liverpool visit West Ham live on Setanta Sports on Saturday afternoon. Click here for details on how to sign up to Setanta Sports on Satellite, Freeview or Setanta-i.

A Team of 'the new'

So far I have Cheryou (Zidane), Sissoko (Viera), Babel (Henry) and Lavezzi (Maradona) - can anyone complete my team?
Just players who have played or linked with Liverpool (just about everyone then)
It's Friday afternoon afterall.

jezthered82
8-5-09, 12:59
He is mentioned on here quite regularly...I would like us to take a punt on him...he has the ability to go past people, something i think we lack.

KarlAgathon
8-5-09, 13:05
there have been so many new maradonas I'm pretty sure you could fill an entire team..

liverpoolfanaticccs
8-5-09, 13:10
Anyone know how good this guy is?

Napoli No7 dubbed as "the new maradona"!

We are apparently interested.....:rolleyes:

ORLY-YARLY
8-5-09, 13:15
I remember when we signed the new Zidane and the new Vieira.

GoatApocalypse
8-5-09, 13:17
If at first you don't succeed, search, search again.

Target-Man
8-5-09, 13:20
Lavezzi is OK, but I personally prefer Illy for my espresso. ;)

As for new "insert big star name" players, that kind of branding usually just serves to illustrate how good the old one was. If you really are the new Maradona, the comparison will quickly cease and you will be known simply by your own name.

liverpoolfanaticccs
8-5-09, 13:21
at 20m euro he would seem to have a price tag that could bring quality but dont know much abot him.....

KarlAgathon
8-5-09, 13:23
at 20m euro he would seem to have a price tag that could bring quality but dont know much abot him.....

you could try and look through one of the two other threads on the front page talking about him.

LLS
8-5-09, 14:10
I have seen him a few times and think he is great, not sure exactly where he could play for us though, and from the little I have seen of him he is not worth moving Gerrard out from behind Torres (but who is?!)

I am pretty sure that Napoli wouldn't sell him to us though, he is like a god in Naples.

Liverdinner
8-5-09, 14:29
That would be amazing especially if we got silva too.

Quality little player but not as young as i thought.

charlesbukowski
8-5-09, 16:13
I'm not a mod and I don't want to put on my Mod hat from Ebay. But could we please just accept that the majority "New xxx" brands are ***** and stop mentioning in every thread that we had the new Zidane, Vieira and so on?

LIVERBIRDMX
8-5-09, 18:11
I'm not a mod and I don't want to put on my Mod hat from Ebay. But could we please just accept that the majority "New xxx" brands are ***** and stop mentioning in every thread that we had the new Zidane, Vieira and so on?

Rather have Silva to be honest and Kuba on the right or SWP or Ashley Young.....

bestituta
8-5-09, 21:06
Please noooooooooooooooo.

The new Maradona???? I haven't heard one person speak of him like that and he's def' not worth £20m.

This better be a wind up.

ReubenStuddard
8-5-09, 21:14

The new Maradona???? I haven't heard one person speak of him like that and he's def' not worth £20m.

He's been spoken about in this way for over a year. The fact that he is Argentinian and a Neopolitan hero means it is inevitable.

Fowi
8-5-09, 21:19
Lavezzi's take on people comparing him to Maradona: "Maradona was a genius. I'm just a man running behind a football".

HeyMacaReina
8-5-09, 21:54
Franco Zuculini - New Javier Mascherano
Nigel Clough - New Kenny Dalglish
Le Tallec - New Michel Platini

bestituta
8-5-09, 21:57

I have to disagree. I spend 12 weeks in Argentina every year as I have family there and if I told anyone there this they'd p iss themselves with laughter.

He is an alright player but he wouldn't get in out team let alone be the next Maradona.

Carrie-25-xox
8-5-09, 21:59
Lavezzi's take on people comparing him to Maradona: "Maradona was a genius. I'm just a man running behind a football".

Quality :D

ReubenStuddard
8-5-09, 21:59
I have to disagree. I spend 12 weeks in Argentina every year as I have family there and if I told anyone there this they'd p iss themselves with laughter.

He is an alright player but he wouldn't get in out team let alone be the next Maradona.

It isn't opinion, it is fact that the Italian press, and particularly the Neopolitan press have likened both him and his impact in Naples to Maradona.

bestituta
8-5-09, 22:05
It isn't opinion, it is fact that the Italian press, and particularly the Neopolitan press have likened both him and his impact in Naples to Maradona.

I have no idea what they are saying in Naples but as I said above, I wouldn;t go saying this around Buenos Aires or the men in white coats might arrive on the scene.

No offence to you just the Italians seem to a bit over the top here.

Em-inLeam
8-5-09, 23:27
Lavezzi is very similar to Tevez, except with more pace. Napoli would be unstoppable if they had a clinical finsiher to partner Lavezzi as he creates that many chances on his own. Lavezzi and Torres? :eek:

RedBaros
19-5-09, 10:04
There needs to be a thread for this guy. There's been 5/6 about Tevez lately.
Lavezzi is more versatile, cheaper and we would be doing our own thing by signing him. I really could do without any association with Utd or controversy about signing one of their ex players, this would tarnish the next campaign before it begins and is all we'd hear about.

This I think is our best option in the summer. Silva could be more expensive and isn't an all out striker which Lavezzi is, but who can also play 3 other positions.

For what you'd pay for Tevez we'd get Lavezzi plus Barry/Johnson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezequiel_Lavezzi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cK62Q5aac&feature=related

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/19302/Benitez_ready_to_swoop_for_Lavezzi.aspx

he has my vote anyway..could be our best number 7 since Dalglish?!

johnlfcynwa11
19-5-09, 10:06
Thought Juventus had agreed a deal for him?

Mapeke
19-5-09, 10:08
Napoli have already said they won't be selling Lavezzi or Hamsik this summer. So it looks like a no-go.

SuperJC23
19-5-09, 10:09
He looks stronger and more direct than Silva, which could suit him to the Premiership more.

RedBaros
19-5-09, 10:09

That was Diego, I seriously hope not anyway, I'd be upset!

RedBaros
19-5-09, 10:11
Napoli have already said they won't be selling Lavezzi or Hamsik this summer. So it looks like a no-go.

Of course they'd say that, but the lad wants to play CL..

Fowi
19-5-09, 10:12
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XyT5QoDnf3U/SZ32h-u8eEI/AAAAAAAACpE/PVLJUxBKg2c/s400/img235dc8.jpg

johnlfcynwa11
19-5-09, 10:12
He does seem a fantastic player, seems like a good team player too, a quality which we all know Rafa like's. TBF I best not comment too much I've heard more than I've seen.

SuperJC23
19-5-09, 10:15
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XyT5QoDnf3U/SZ32h-u8eEI/AAAAAAAACpE/PVLJUxBKg2c/s400/img235dc8.jpg

He could be friends with Agger.

dalglish-07
19-5-09, 10:15
I know nothing about him except seeing his name crop up on the boards, but have we actually been linked with him or is he just on some posters wishlists ?

Mapeke
19-5-09, 10:16
We need more pin up boys in our team. Who's that young Croatian lad that all the Croat ladies love?

RedBaros
19-5-09, 10:18
I know nothing about him except seeing his name crop up on the boards, but have we actually been linked with him or is he just on some posters wishlists ?

Thanks for asking, I should have put this in the OP, will do...

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/19302/Benitez_ready_to_swoop_for_Lavezzi.aspx

Stoney79
19-5-09, 10:29

Tuttosport, the pro-Juve newspaper, reported last week that he was close to joining Juve. I heard reports on forums that we're definitely interested but I think Juve will be his first choice. They have also been linked with Lahm recently. Where do they get all their money from?

Not-Too-Xabi
19-5-09, 10:33
Tuttosport, the pro-Juve newspaper, reported last week that he was close to joining Juve. I heard reports on forums that we're definitely interested but I think Juve will be his first choice. They have also been linked with Lahm recently. Where do they get all their money from?

They're saving a fair bit from no longer bribing refs....

Simo429
19-5-09, 10:51

they sacked ranieri yesterday so their plans may now be different

RedBaros
19-5-09, 10:56

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may6l.html

Jodzo
19-5-09, 12:47
We need more pin up boys in our team. Who's that young Croatian lad that all the Croat ladies love?

Slaven Bilic... ;)

DirtySuarez
19-5-09, 14:07
Now I know he is Argentine I definately think there might be some interest from Rafa.

Surely Insua would know him from the olyimpics and under 21's, sign him up!

RedBaros
19-5-09, 14:10
I wish I had a better link but....http://www.tribalfootball.com/lavezzi-agents-wait-liverpool-sevilla-contract-offers-245550

Stoney79
19-5-09, 14:19
I wish I had a better link but....http://www.tribalfootball.com/lavezzi-agents-wait-liverpool-sevilla-contract-offers-245550

Interesting-ish. No mention of Juve. I would guess that Silva is our first choice wide man with Downing and Pranjic as backup options. Tevez is first choice forward with Lavezzi as backup. Alonso will be replaced by Barry if we need extra funds and Glenn Johnson is already secretly a done deal.

Could it really be this simple?!

jezthered82
19-5-09, 14:21
I d like him. Ive posted several times that I think this sort of player is one type that we are lacking - great at running at defences with a good touch - I think Babel runs at defences but doesn t quite have the intinuity of Lavezzi. I think he could learn to play LAM RAM or in the "Gerrard role"

Mike90
19-5-09, 14:25
Interesting-ish. No mention of Juve. I would guess that Silva is our first choice wide man with Downing and Pranjic as backup options. Tevez is first choice forward with Lavezzi as backup. Alonso will be replaced by Barry if we need extra funds and Glenn Johnson is already secretly a done deal.

Stoney79 it seems like your one of few people who believe anything that is said by journalist's or ITK's like atk. What is about atk that makes him so reliable, has he got anything right before?

RedBaros
19-5-09, 14:28

Tevez=Lavezzi + Barry/Johnson

Thread going about Downing out for 6months
so either Silva/Pranjic/Gourcuff is most of the talk so far

any links about Johnson?

Dousty
19-5-09, 14:38
he has my vote anyway..at last a decent number 7 since Dalglish?!

In their defence Beardsley and McManaman didn't do too bad when wearing the famous number 7 after the King. Others have failed since, though Vladi vacated it in spectacular style :scarf

That said, I agree that we should be looking at someone like Lavezzi and if he's available then we should be in the running for him. However, Tevez has proven that (when picked! ;)) he can do a job in the Premier League, and there's always a risk that Lavezzi might not do so well... however, you have to speculate to accumulate and if he takes to our league well it will have been a risk worth taking.

I don't know about you lot, but with all the pieces of the jigsaw nearly in place and hopefully the more important pieces of the puzzle here to stay (ref: Xabi!) this transfer window is shaping up to be very exciting, albeit exceptionally important for our future. We cannot afford another 2002. Please deliver the goods Rafa :)

Dousty
19-5-09, 14:39

Rakitic?

And no I'm neither female nor gay. I just seem to remember some ladies on this board swooning over him :D

RedBaros
19-5-09, 14:52
In their defence Beardsley and McManaman didn't do too bad when wearing the famous number 7 after the King. Others have failed since, though Vladi vacated it in spectacular style :scarf

That said, I agree that we should be looking at someone like Lavezzi and if he's available then we should be in the running for him. However, Tevez has proven that (when picked! ;)) he can do a job in the Premier League, and there's always a risk that Lavezzi might not do so well... however, you have to speculate to accumulate and if he takes to our league well it will have been a risk worth taking.

I don't know about you lot, but with all the pieces of the jigsaw nearly in place and hopefully the more important pieces of the puzzle here to stay (ref: Xabi!) this transfer window is shaping up to be very exciting, albeit exceptionally important for our future. We cannot afford another 2002. Please deliver the goods Rafa :)

oops, of course they were class, I think I meant the best since Dalglish, Kewell might have worked but its high time we had a new no.7
Lavezzi looks perfect, little guy running rings around confused defenders.
From watching his clips his style does remind me a lot of how Maradona played, and that is the one thing that's missing from our team. Silva's very similar as well, the thought of having two players like that signed is almost too much! :P

Lavezzi--------Gerrard--------Silva
---------------Torres-------------

The opposition would fear and loathe us! :D

Dousty
19-5-09, 14:59
Lavezzi--------Gerrard--------Silva
---------------Torres-------------

The opposition would fear and loathe us! :D

That, my friend, is what I call interchangable heaven! :D Think of the options. All players who can mix it up and comfortable on the ball. Wow. And then if we needed proper width we'd still have it on the bench with Riera and Kuyt (though not a proper winger he has shown he can add 'width' to our play).

Like I said above I'm really looking forward to this window. Minor surgery only is required. Let's hope there's no fatal slip-ups! ;)

Stoney79
19-5-09, 15:02
Stoney79 it seems like your one of few people who believe anything that is said by journalist's or ITK's like atk. What is about atk that makes him so reliable, has he got anything right before?

To be honest most of what I was saying was tongue in cheek, hence the last sentence and I, like all of us have no idea what Rafa is going to do this summer. As for so called ITKs I think we all know to take their info with a pinch of salt.

Stan85
19-5-09, 21:27
I am really hoping we sign Lavezzi! I just think he is nearly the perfect player for us. He won't cost the earth, he's young, strong, good work-rate, possibly quicker than Tevez and can score goals and play in a few positions.

If this is our main signing of the summer, I will be happy! Also need a RB imo too.

Grrr the season hasn't even ended and I'm already wanting the rumours and all that tripe that goes with it to be over. I just want our signings sorted and for them to be decent after the disappointment of last summer.

RedBaros
19-5-09, 21:31
I am really hoping we sign Lavezzi! I just think he is nearly the perfect player for us. He won't cost the earth, he's young, strong, good work-rate, possibly quicker than Tevez and can score goals and play in a few positions.

If this is our main signing of the summer, I will be happy! Also need a RB imo too.

Grrr the season hasn't even ended and I'm already wanting the rumours and all that tripe that goes with it to be over. I just want our signings sorted and for them to be decent after the disappointment of last summer.

Same here ;)

Snippes
19-5-09, 21:32
There needs to be a thread for this guy. There's been 5/6 about Tevez lately.
Lavezzi is more versatile, cheaper and we would be doing our own thing by signing him. I really could do without any association with Utd or controversy about signing one of their ex players, this would tarnish the next campaign before it begins and is all we'd hear about.

This I think is our best option in the summer. Silva could be more expensive and isn't an all out striker which Lavezzi is, but who can also play 3 other positions.

For what you'd pay for Tevez we'd get Lavezzi plus Barry/Johnson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezequiel_Lavezzi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cK62Q5aac&feature=related

he has my vote anyway..could be our best number 7 since Dalglish?!

You are absolutely obsessed with this guy Baros :D

Hey...am not complaining.:scarf

-Gola-
19-5-09, 21:33
lavezzi, barry and an attacking right back and that would be a perfect summer for us

Stan85
19-5-09, 21:34
lavezzi, barry and an attacking right back and that would be a perfect summer for us

Agreed! Providing we keep Alonso too ;)

RedBaros
19-5-09, 21:34
You are absolutely obsessed with this guy Baros :D

Hey...am not complaining.:scarf

I know :D

I wasn't going to start a thread but enough was enough when the 7th Tevez thread turned up so I felt the point needed making....again! :D

IRWT
:scarf

Snippes
19-5-09, 21:41
I know :D

I wasn't going to start a thread but enough was enough when the 7th Tevez thread turned up so I felt the point needed making....again! :D

IRWT

I agree totally...the Tevez thing is done to death already.

I would join your lakalaka dance except for the fact that you keep bringing up Barry ;)

Barry in = Alonso out....and I just can't sign up for that.

-Gola-
19-5-09, 21:50

I would join your lakalaka dance except for the fact that you keep bringing up Barry ;)

barry needs to be brought in too help with the depth of the squad

looks at the mancs midifeld options or chelsea, then look at ours, we need to add a few quality players

lavezzi
barry
an attacking right back

that solves all our problems

RedBaros
19-5-09, 21:56

looks at the mancs midifeld options or chelsea, then look at ours, we need to add a few quality players

lavezzi
barry
an attacking right back

If that's who we bought there should be funds left for Dzeko as well

-Gola-
19-5-09, 21:58

you keep going on about him but i haven't a clue who he is

give us some basic detail on him please, like club, how much etc

thanks

ReubenStuddard
19-5-09, 22:01

Lavezzi would probably cost around 20 million, Barry around 8-10, and a decent right back around 8-10 too. Dzeko is allegedly 15 million euro, so we would have to sell a few players.

RedBaros
19-5-09, 22:02

Only if Rafa really does want to buy Tevez, otherwise we can afford to keep him.
Posted a (not great)link earlier saying they were waiting for our offer for Lavezzi..http://www.tribalfootball.com/lavezzi-agents-wait-liverpool-sevilla-contract-offers-245550

RedBaros
19-5-09, 22:04
you keep going on about him but i haven't a clue who he is

give us some basic detail on him please, like club, how much etc

thanks

few links in the OP, he'd be around £18-20m

RedBaros
19-5-09, 22:05
Lavezzi would probably cost around 20 million, Barry around 8-10, and a decent right back around 8-10 too. Dzeko is allegedly 15 million euro, so we would have to sell a few players.

Add up potential sales plus £20m from yanks, which could even be £30m

Its doable

(plus we get a few extra mil this year for runners up)

ReubenStuddard
19-5-09, 22:08
Add up potential sales plus £20m from yanks, which could even be £30m

Its doable

I'd be surprised of we got anything from them. I just assume we will have the 12-15 mil from Keane, plus player sales.

Voronin - 4 mil
Babel - 8 mil

Maybe either Dossena or Lucas for 5 mil ish.

Not who I want to sell, just who I assume we will sell.

RedBaros
19-5-09, 22:16
I'd be surprised of we got anything from them. I just assume we will have the 12-15 mil from Keane, plus player sales.

Voronin - 4 mil
Babel - 8 mil

Maybe either Dossena or Lucas for 5 mil ish.

Not who I want to sell, just who I assume we will sell.

Voronin 4
Babel 8
Dossena 5
El Zhar 1
Hobbs 1
Anderson 1?
Keane 12

We also lose Pennant, Hyppia and Itandje saving us wage bills

That's a minimum you'd expect from those sales = 32m
20 from yanks = 52
if they don't contribute then Alonso will probably go so its still 52m

This would cover all four players mentioned to come in.

There's also the option of paying installements?

Something along those lines is what we need to happen anyway..

Whatusmoking
19-5-09, 23:01
Whats stopping us from getting Tevez on a loan deal like the mancs did for 6million and still get Lavezzi, Barry, Silva and Johnson, then we can buy Tevez permanently in the future. Imagine that for an attack and options which Rafa really likes.

Also no more problems if Gerrard ot Torres get injured!!

Come on Rafa get em all in, really rub it into the mancs that we are going to rip it out of ther filthy dirty hands next season.

Em-inLeam
19-5-09, 23:10
Whats stopping us from getting Tevez on a loan deal like the mancs did for 6million and still get Lavezzi, Barry, Silva and Johnson, then we can buy Tevez permanently in the future. Imagine that for an attack and options which Rafa really likes.

Also no more problems if Gerrard ot Torres get injured!!

Come on Rafa get em all in, really rub it into the mancs that we are going to rip it out of ther filthy dirty hands next season.

I doubt Kia would take £6m for a player on loan, than take a straight £30m bid from elsewhere.

Whatusmoking
19-5-09, 23:17
I doubt Kia would take £6m for a player on loan, than take a straight £30m bid from elsewhere.

Thats what the mancs paid for him isnt it for a two year loan, i would say pay 6 million for a one year loan and pay up the rest next summer or in january, whenever we have the funds. It would be an answer to the problems with the financing part of the deal and to be honest it wouldnt surprise if if Kia went for it just to naff off the mancs after they were looking to get him for a free.

Em-inLeam
19-5-09, 23:19
Thats what the mancs paid for him isnt it for a two year loan, i would say pay 6 million for a one year loan and pay up the rest next summer or in january, whenever we have the funds. It would be an answer to the problems with the financing part of the deal and to be honest it wouldnt surprise if if Kia went for it just to naff off the mancs after they were looking to get him for a free.

They accepted that because they thought the Mancs would definitely buy him for another £25m in 2 years time. They've burnt their fingers once, so I doubt they'll do it again.

Snippes
19-5-09, 23:58

lavezzi
barry
an attacking right back

For the 700th time....will Barry want to come in as depth in a WC year??? I would be concerned for him if he did.

RedBaros
22-5-09, 08:54
This looks like Liverpool have offered 20million euros for Lavezzi..:)

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/?action=read&id=151822

£4m a year contract for him?

charlesbukowski
22-5-09, 09:00
Rakitic?

And no I'm neither female nor gay. I just seem to remember some ladies on this board swooning over him :D

Well, Croatian lasses do love every Croatian football player that is half decent, even Olic but I think that he was speaking about Anas Sharbini.

Fowi
22-5-09, 09:11
Gazzetta is a very reliable source tbh.

RedBaros
22-5-09, 09:28
There was another report saying they'd want at least 16m for him (involving Juve)
I like the way Gazzetta call it a mega offer...promising..

Stoney79
22-5-09, 09:50
This looks like Liverpool have offered 20million euros for Lavezzi..:)

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/?action=read&id=151822

£4m a year contract for him?

Several newspapers have been reporting that Rafa has realised that Tevez is out of our price range. I guess Lavezzi would be a good alternative.

RedKite
22-5-09, 09:57

Well, we might go for Middlesbro's Huth then.

RedBaros
22-5-09, 09:58
Several newspapers have been reporting that Rafa has realised that Tevez is out of our price range. I guess Lavezzi would be a good alternative.

better alternative imo, although "unproven" in the prem.

his quality speaks for itself though and can't imagine him having a problem,
it's good we don't already have a no.7, extra incentive if he needed one..

Seanosdelgardo
22-5-09, 10:02
They accepted that because they thought the Mancs would definitely buy him for another £25m in 2 years time. They've burnt their fingers once, so I doubt they'll do it again.

Was it not Kia who we purchased Masch from, or was it MSI / another third party?

Either way he would see that we have experience in dealing with such matters, and actually go through with the deal, so I dont think that loan option would be totally dead.

Seanosdelgardo
22-5-09, 10:04
Sod it, blow the budget on Tevez and Lavezzi and just promote Darby to rival Arbeloa.

Lavezzi----Gerrard----Tevez

-----------Torres----------

And just have the 3 behind Torres rotate.

(yes i know....... but i'm allowed to dream)

RedBaros
22-5-09, 10:07
Sod it, blow the budget on Tevez and Lavezzi and just promote Darby to rival Arbeloa.

Lavezzi----Gerrard----Tevez

-----------Torres----------

And just have the 3 behind Torres rotate.

(yes i know....... but i'm allowed to dream)

I've said the same before, only with Silva instead of Tevez.

We do need a more attacking RB but with Lavezzi in front of you all you need is a good pass, Darby's fine!

Stoney79
22-5-09, 10:20
www.thesoccerblog.org/premiership/mega-bid-from-Liverpool-for-new-maradona-rejected/

Sounds like they think the clubs might be meeting up for discussions. Interesting.

Fowi
22-5-09, 10:22
We have to do this deal quickly because many clubs are ready to pay more than 20mil Euros for him.

RedBaros
22-5-09, 10:31
20m rejected? ffs they're pushing it, they said they'd want a minimum 16m from Juve and now 20m isn't good enough. Come on Rafa!

Fowi
22-5-09, 10:33
Rafa should offer Voronin to sweeten the deal.

RedBaros
22-5-09, 10:35
Rafa should offer Voronin to sweeten the deal.

Or Babel (+£15m?)

Stoney79
22-5-09, 10:47
I've only see Lavezzi play once plus some you tube vids. For those of you who know him am I right in thinking that he'd probably be better than Tevez out wide? Could he replace torres and play up front on his own like Tevez probably could?

RedBaros
22-5-09, 10:59
I've only see Lavezzi play once plus some you tube vids. For those of you who know him am I right in thinking that he'd probably be better than Tevez out wide? Could he replace torres and play up front on his own like Tevez probably could?

Absolutely! Read his wiki page, he started off as a midfielder and can play 4 positions, so even better than Carlos.

(btw Tevez is banned from this thread, there was about 20threads about him so I started this one! :D)

JoeRedLabo
22-5-09, 11:05
Report: Napoli Reject Liverpool’s €22m Bid For Ezequiel Lavezzi
The Vesuviani have turned down the Reds’ initial offer for ‘El Pocho’, however, the parties could meet again next week.
22 May 2009 10:10:37

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has rebuffed a €22 million bid from Premier League giants Liverpool for Argentine star Ezequiel Lavezzi.

The 24-year-old has been frequently associated with a move away from the San Paolo in recent weeks, with the Italian press suggesting that his agent, Alejandro Manzoni, has been in talks with Juventus.

It is claimed the Vesuviani were approached by an unnamed emissary on behalf of the Merseyside outfit, however, De Laurentiis said no to the initial bid.

Things could change at the start of next week, though. Manzoni is reportedly arranging a direct meeting between the two clubs for Monday.

Lavezzi is tied to the Campani until 2013 but there have been reports his representatives will seek a considerable pay rise at the end of the season.

The former San Lorenzo man, who has netted seven goals in 28 league appearances this season, currently earns €1.3m per season at the San Paolo. Liverpool are allegedly prepared to offer him a salary of €4m to lure him to Anfield.

Lavezzi has been sidelined with a muscular problem since Napoli’s 1-0 win over Inter last month but he could be back in action against Catania this weekend.

Vince Masiello, Goal.com

RedBaros
22-5-09, 11:18
22m now :eek:

It is euros so I'd offer them 25m, and throw in Voronin as Fowi said

JoeRedLabo
22-5-09, 11:24
I have not seen too much of him play, whats his best posistion and who do people feel is the better option him or silva

RedBaros
22-5-09, 11:28
I have not seen too much of him play, whats his best posistion and who do people feel is the better option him or silva

I think he's a better option seeing as he could play up front, both would be perfect.

Vid and info in the OP

MiroTheRed
22-5-09, 11:33
I team full of Argentinians and Spainish lads... and English Lads... :)

fernandothelegend
22-5-09, 12:10
La Gazzetta dello Sport has reported that Liverpool’s mega bid for Napoli’s striker Ezequiel Lavezzi has been rejected.

Liverpool is interested in signing the future Argentine star to complete their dream striker formation. Lavezzi, also nicknamed the ‘New Maradona‘, was signed by Napoli in the summer of 2007, when he signed a five year-deal.

Napoli’s president De Laurentiis has rejected Liverpool’s bid of around twenty million euro’s, but he is not excluding the fact that the clubs will meet in the next few days and that a deal might be agreed.

It seems unlikely Napoli will be able to keep Ezequiel Lavezzi, since several English clubs have already gave him an indication that he could sign a contract for four million euro’s a year.

Kev-is-Red
22-5-09, 12:11
La Gazzetta dello Sport has reported that Liverpool’s mega bid for Napoli’s striker Ezequiel Lavezzi has been rejected.

Liverpool is interested in signing the future Argentine star to complete their dream striker formation. Lavezzi, also nicknamed the ‘New Maradona‘, was signed by Napoli in the summer of 2007, when he signed a five year-deal.

Napoli’s president De Laurentiis has rejected Liverpool’s bid of around twenty million euro’s, but he is not excluding the fact that the clubs will meet in the next few days and that a deal might be agreed.

It seems unlikely Napoli will be able to keep Ezequiel Lavezzi, since several English clubs have already gave him an indication that he could sign a contract for four million euro’s a year.

Link please...

is it a reliable source?

And does anyone have a good Lavezzi goals compilation?

YoungJedi
22-5-09, 12:12
What do people know about this player, i don't watch much foreign footy?

The Vesuviani have turned down the Reds’ initial offer for ‘El Pocho’, however, the parties could meet again next week.

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has rebuffed a €22 million bid from Premier League giants Liverpool for Argentine star Ezequiel Lavezzi.

The 24-year-old has been frequently associated with a move away from the San Paolo in recent weeks, with the Italian press suggesting that his agent, Alejandro Manzoni, has been in talks with Juventus.

It is claimed the Vesuviani were approached by an unnamed emissary on behalf of the Merseyside outfit, however, De Laurentiis said no to the initial bid.

Things could change at the start of next week, though. Manzoni is reportedly arranging a direct meeting between the two clubs for Monday.

Lavezzi is tied to the Campani until 2013 but there have been reports his representatives will seek a considerable pay rise at the end of the season.

The former San Lorenzo man, who has netted seven goals in 28 league appearances this season, currently earns €1.3m per season at the San Paolo. Liverpool are allegedly prepared to offer him a salary of €4m to lure him to Anfield.

Lavezzi has been sidelined with a muscular problem since Napoli’s 1-0 win over Inter last month but he could be back in action against Catania this weekend.

Vince Masiello, Goal.com

Wowbagger

well thats a start. It might be a rumour but quite a big rumour if a bid has been menitoned.
I mean even if it was rejected, it still shows that Rafa is very quick in these matters. I dont think i have ever seen a bid by liverpool this early for a prime target ?

AdY
cool nickname

KingLuisNo7
22-5-09, 12:13
Not another "the new maradona". :rolleyes:

WindyShepherdHenderson
22-5-09, 12:15
And does anyone have a good Lavezzi goals compilation?

Why does that matter?

GoatApocalypse
22-5-09, 12:16
Lavezzi doesn't score good goals :D

Kev-is-Red
22-5-09, 12:19
Why does that matter?

I have never seen a goal scored by him:p

Can't stand watching Italian football:D

WindyShepherdHenderson
22-5-09, 12:20
Can't stand watching Italian football:D

Erm, why?

*awaits "stale negative Catenaccio" reply*

Carminati
22-5-09, 12:20
Well you can see how much Napoli want to keep hold of him and credit to them, but I can't see him staying.

Kev-is-Red
22-5-09, 12:24
Erm, why?

I like watching interesting football.

KloppBoy
22-5-09, 12:24
Erm, why?

To be fair the quality in Italian football has significantly diminished in the last 4 years or so.

The tactical, defensive side of football over there used to be fantastic to watch, but even this side of the game has suffered.

Nonetheless, you still get some very good games occasionally.

Oh and whilst I'm here, despite what some think, this guy would be a wonderful signing. Wonderful.:scarf

Liverpoolforme
22-5-09, 12:27
To be fair the quality in Italian football has significantly diminished in the last 4 years or so.

The tactical, defensive side of football over there used to be fantastic to watch, but even this side of the game has suffered.

Nonetheless, you still get some very good games occasionally.

Oh and whilst I'm here, despite what some think, this guy would be a wonderful signing. Wonderful.:scarf

i think its more to do with the great strides english football has made and in patiqular barcalona (for spain).

Mike-91
22-5-09, 12:28
Don't think rafa would bid 22 million euros and think he's not that good.

bribrit
22-5-09, 12:32
Erm, why?

Maybe they don't get much coverage of Serie A where he is from it's not abundant in the u.k. now as it was when C4 had it, I'll watch it if its on a normal channel but i won't go searching for it, its not a patch on what it as 5 years back.

Plus all the match fixing scandals you never know if your watching a fair match.

Catenaccio is dated it was first introduced in the 30's and not by the Italians and even when it did hit Italy in the late 50's early 60's it was by an Argentine coach, it is not used in the modern game, when was the last time you seen a sweeper used in football? closest you'd get is the more updated version named 'parking the coach in front of the goals' system used by many a weaker team coming to Anfield. :D

-Gola-
22-5-09, 12:34
i thought 22m would have been well enough, shouldn't go higher than that really.

lavezzi would be ideal for us but i dont want him costing any more than we've already bid

Liverpoolforme
22-5-09, 12:36
i thought 22m would have been well enough, shouldn't go higher than that really.

lavezzi would be ideal for us but i dont want him costing any more than we've already bid

that was euros though wasnt it, whts that converted in £s

Chris-Ninis
22-5-09, 12:38
Erm, why?

I like watching interesting football.

Brilliant!

-Gola-
22-5-09, 12:38
that was euros though wasnt it, whts that converted in £s

not much different at the mo, pound is weak

think it'll be about £19m, i think thats fair

JoeRedLabo
22-5-09, 12:39
I think alls we truly lacj in our team is a top player who can play anywhere out wide or up front and can change flank during a game and bring us an unpredictable edge. He seems to fit the bill

Chris-Ninis
22-5-09, 12:39

I'd still go a little higher for him.

Anyone got the source of the article yet?

markusB
22-5-09, 12:40
[QUOTE=Higginz;1932165]Not another "the new maradona"QUOTE]

Every time a club wants to make more money it will be the new maradona, pele, best or whoever.

That means he had a good season in Italy, and he wants to come to england to earn some money.

I have not seen him, but i'm sure dossena (sorry the new baresi) had a good season before he joined us !!!

Liverpoolforme
22-5-09, 12:42

damn recession :p

JoeRedLabo
22-5-09, 12:42
I'd still go a little higher for him.

Anyone got the source of the article yet?

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2009/05/22/1279744/report-napoli-reject-liverpools-22m-bid-for-ezequiel-lavezzi

Chris-Ninis
22-5-09, 12:43
I have not seen him, but i'm sure dossena (sorry the new baresi) had a good season before he joined us !!!

Lavezzi is the real deal. He's no Maradonna obviously (nor will he ever be) but he's yet to hit his peak and is a brilliant player to watch.

-SP7-
22-5-09, 12:44
If Goal don't have direct quotes then its usually a load of crap.

welshypool
goal.com?

That's the end of that story then:D

Chris-Ninis
http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2009/05/22/1279744/report-napoli-reject-liverpools-22m-bid-for-ezequiel-lavezzi

Cheers mate

RedBaros
22-5-09, 12:49
My Lavezzi thread is no more :crying

RedBaros
22-5-09, 12:52
I started this thread because of the 20 tevez threads, 20 Lavezzi threads next?

truered1984
22-5-09, 12:57
I never read Goal.com but in fairness it quotes that the article comes from Gazetto dello Sport which seems to be to Italy what AS and Marca are to Spain

PEAB
22-5-09, 13:02
I don't watch Italian football so know nothing about Lavezzi. That youtube video wasn't eactly dazzling though. Showed a lot of misses, blocks, fouls etc but few amazing goals. I'm not saying he can't do it, he may be exceptional, but when youtube makes Titus Bramble look good (almost!) there must be better of him. I'm going to look for some more.

markusB
22-5-09, 13:04
Lavezzi is the real deal. He's no Maradonna obviously (nor will he ever be) but he's yet to hit his peak and is a brilliant player to watch.

Chris-Ninis have a look at this

Yes he does the real deal, and the clips show him going past people, with open spaces.

Remember, he will need to run like that week in week out in the Premier League. We had Mark Gonzales whocould run past people at will. And what happened to him.

I think rafa should not gamble. This guy look simular to Tevez.

Then we should go for Tevez. Tevez is recognised, and has 3 successful Premier League seasons under his belt. Why Gamble on the unknown.

Wowbagger
22-5-09, 13:08
Chris-Ninis have a look at this

Remember, he will need to run like that week in week out in the Premier League. We had Mark Gonzales whocould run past people at will. And what happened to him.

I think rafa should not gamble. This guy look simular to Tevez.

Then we should go for Tevez. Tevez is recognised, and has 3 successful Premier League seasons under his belt. Why Gamble on the unknown.

I dont know about everybody else, but i actually remember mark gonzales only going past one player in his whole liverpool career. Its was rio ferdinand on the wing and he whipped in a delightful cross and thats it.

I dont know why people think mark was fast or skillfull. I never really saw those things in him. he was quick but not quick enough to beat on pace alone. His accelaration was abysmal for a small guy.

RedBaros
22-5-09, 13:08
I don't watch Italian football so know nothing about Lavezzi. That youtube video wasn't eactly dazzling though. Showed a lot of misses, blocks, fouls etc but few amazing goals. I'm not saying he can't do it, he may be exceptional, but when youtube makes Titus Bramble look good (almost!) there must be better of him. I'm going to look for some more.

I've been told his finishing needs some work, Fowi knows more about him than I do. I was mostly impressed by his agression and the runs he makes, doesn't just take on a defender he takes on 3! That's what we need in the team.
I know nobody likes players being called "the new" whoever, but Lavezzi's style does remind me a lot of Maradona and can see where the nickname comes from.
I have a feeling he could be the star signing of the league, and hope to Fowler that Rafa doesn't give up on him.

Chris-Ninis
22-5-09, 13:10
Mark Gonzalez was an abomination.

markusB
22-5-09, 13:14
Gonzalez was hyped before he joined us. He had a good season (forgot where he played before)

The point is we need to be careful. I remember that season we had plenty of promise. Nothing happen and he was shipped out.

Similar thing for Babel, he has gone past people. But he doesn't seem to like to rough and tumble of the premier league. Possibly the same with Lavezzi.

PEAB
22-5-09, 13:15
I've been told his finishing needs some work, Fowi knows more about him than I do. I was mostly impressed by his agression and the runs he makes, doesn't just take on a defender he takes on 3! That's what we need in the team.
I know nobody likes players being called "the new" whoever, but Lavezzi's style does remind me a lot of Maradona and can see where the nickname comes from.
I have a feeling he could be the star signing of the league, and hope to Fowler that Rafa doesn't give up on him.

Hmm fair enough. I have to say I'm always sceptical when i hear that a player is the new this or the new that. Invariably they never are and i wish people would avoid describing promising youngsters like that.

From the videos alone, and i fully admit that is nowhere near enough to judge a player, i'd say he looks promising. I liked the fact he tried to stay on his feet, that he chased everything down and that he had the guts to take people on. I'd also say is finishing looks more hit and hope than placement and that sometimes he would do better looking up than running down a dark alley.

However those that know him more might think that's an unfair assessment. I'd love us to sign a dogged flair player and if that's what he is then good stuff. Naturally though i have reservations about how he would fit in and cope in the Premier League.

Wowbagger
22-5-09, 13:20
Gonzalez was hyped before he joined us. He had a good season (forgot where he played before)

The point is we need to be careful. I remember that season we had plenty of promise. Nothing happen and he was shipped out.

Similar thing for Babel, he has gone past people. But he doesn't seem to like to rough and tumble of the premier league. Possibly the same with Lavezzi.

Babel has been ten times the player mark ever was. And this is when i dont rate babel too much.

You can see that bable beats players with ease. That he has pace and strength to go past people and dominate games.

mark was not even a promise from the moment he ran to his full speed which was still not enough to beat lucas neil :D.

MyOpinionIsFact
22-5-09, 13:22
He's the best alternative to Tevez, so i'd love him here.

I'd bid upto about £24 million (including any players chucked in a la voronin etc.) for him.

RedBaros
22-5-09, 13:26
Hmm fair enough. I have to say I'm always sceptical when i hear that a player is the new this or the new that. Invariably they never are and i wish people would avoid describing promising youngsters like that.

From the videos alone, and i fully admit that is nowhere near enough to judge a player, i'd say he looks promising. I liked the fact he tried to stay on his feet, that he chased everything down and that he had the guts to take people on. I'd also say is finishing looks more hit and hope than placement and that sometimes he would do better looking up than running down a dark alley.

However those that know him more might think that's an unfair assessment. I'd love us to sign a dogged flair player and if that's what he is then good stuff. Naturally though i have reservations about how he would fit in and cope in the Premier League.

That's exactly what he looks like. The bit that impressed me most was when he ran through two players to get to the ball, barging them out of the way. There's no doubt in my mind he'll cope here, he looks like a warrior.
Sammi Hyppia said he was surprised with the physical side of Torres's game, he didn't realise until he trained with him. I expect Lavezzi to have the same impact as Torres, maybe not scoring so many goals, but announcing his arrival in style.
It his creativity, flair and aggression that we need at Liverpool, if he scores about the same as Kuyt I'd be happy, but see him creating a lot more, not just by assists, but creating spaces by drawing defenders to try and stop his runs as well.
I think Silva would do the same for us and the perfect scenario for me would to sign both, one for each wing, would cause so much chaos for the opposition, Gerrard and Torres steaming through the middle as well!

markusB
22-5-09, 13:38
Don't get me wrong, I think babel has everything to be a great player, but he needs to stand up and to the dirty stuff every week. Most players from abroad can't deal with it. This is my point with Lavezzi.

The best would be to stick with someone already successful in the Premier League.

So if we can afford it Tevez is the one we shout move heaven and earth to bring to Anfield.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
22-5-09, 13:41
The best would be to stick with someone already successful in the Premier League.

Like Robbie Keane.

PEAB
22-5-09, 13:44
Like Robbie Keane.

Exaclty...wait - i see what you did there.

RedBaros
22-5-09, 13:48
Don't get me wrong, I think babel has everything to be a great player, but he needs to stand up and to the dirty stuff every week. Most players from abroad can't deal with it. This is my point with Lavezzi.

So if we can afford it Tevez is the one we shout move heaven and earth to bring to Anfield.

Torres joined from Spain
Tevez arrived from Argentina, as did Masch

Your point is moot I'm afraid.

If you had a point, mostly (95%) English players would play in the Prem

I think its more to do with the person than the nationality

markusB
22-5-09, 14:02
Torres joined from Spain
Tevez arrived from Argentina, as did Masch

Your point is moot I'm afraid.

If you had a point, only English players would play in the Prem

I think its more to do with the person than the nationality

My point is still a fact. Yes Torres came from spain. But I think we all know he is an exception. Tevez and Masch both came from Argentina. Remember neither set the world alight at the beginning of their West Ham careers. Granted Tevez was given a chance.

One thing all these guys are true international class players with experience.

Lets bring on other names

babel
Arby
Reina
Lucas

Gents, my point is still valid.

Again, the point is with any new signing there is potential for failure. I think we have had more failures than successes. We can't afford that.

Robbie Keane wasn't a failure because he was no good. He was a failure because of

1. Internal politics
2. Somehow wasn't fancied by Benitez.

I'm sure the same mistakes would be made with the next big signing (hopefully Tevez)

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
22-5-09, 14:03
Robbie Keane wasn't a failure because he was no good.

Yes he did.

markusB
22-5-09, 14:07
That's a divided opinion.

He was Premier league material. But not Liverpool

Dilinja
22-5-09, 14:24
Yes he did.

No I'm doesn't!

markusB
22-5-09, 14:28
I'm sure the whole Keane thing has been dragged up time and again, I don't really want to go all over it again.

Simply, my point was why spend £19m on someone, who is not even a regular Argentina international. And yes, he will need to get past Messi and Tevez and whoever else. We can't wait for 2 seasons to pass before he comes good.

For £19m we should get the finished article. (No offence to Robbie Keane intended)

50P-WSTB-Head
22-5-09, 14:30
Would prefer him over Tevez

GoatApocalypse
22-5-09, 14:32
markusB has a point; if the money's the same for both players, I'd be naturally inclined towards Tevez. Lavezzi is a great player though, no doubt.

jezthered82
22-5-09, 14:33
Getting Lavezzi would be a step forward. It doesn t matter whether he is a regular international for the Argies. He is the type of player we need. If either him or Tevez came I would be happy.

Mapeke
22-5-09, 14:59
I'd rather have Lavezzi than Tevez, he has the potential to be a superstar. The main reason I'd want Tevez would be to **** off the Mancs, not so much for football reasons.

YoungHOV
22-5-09, 15:11
id rather have mauro zarate to be honest ! im more impressed by him than lavezzi but both of them can be as lethal in a big team

Mapeke
22-5-09, 15:13
id rather have mauro zarate to be honest ! im more impressed by him than lavezzi but both of them can be as lethal in a big team
How much would Zarate cost? Because he's been outstanding for Lazio recently.

shody1976
22-5-09, 15:15
All I'm hearing at the moment is 'he has the potential to do this' and 'he has the potential to do that', which is all well and good, but if you're talking about a straight toss-up between lavezzi and tevez, then IMO, tevez wins hands down everytime. However, if we're talking about tevez and lavezzi, that is completely different, though I would still rather have Silva than lavezzi

GoatApocalypse
22-5-09, 15:17
Zarate signed a contract at Lazio about 2 weeks ago, so he'd probably cost about £50m.

RedBaros
22-5-09, 15:24
My point is still a fact. Yes Torres came from spain. But I think we all know he is an exception. Tevez and Masch both came from Argentina. Remember neither set the world alight at the beginning of their West Ham careers. Granted Tevez was given a chance.

babel
Arby
Reina
Lucas

Again, the point is with any new signing there is potential for failure. I think we have had more failures than successes. We can't afford that.

Robbie Keane wasn't a failure because he was no good. He was a failure because of

1. Internal politics

I'm sure the same mistakes would be made with the next big signing (hopefully Tevez)

The point you are making is too much of a sweeping generalisation for me, and seems to be based on your preference of Tevez.

Babel had a better season last season but has been dire most of this one, each player is a special case all on their own.

You can look at the type of player that Lavezzi is and instantly recognise his strengths and how he would be suited to this league.

He looks to have a lot more in his locker than Tevez, with some sharp shooting practise and practising with Torres he can only improve, not that there's that much further for him to go to reach an outstanding level.

Tevez is a slightly better version of Kuyt, he'll work hard all day and might bring a spark to a game, almost anyone can do that, and I don't see what Tevez does to be that much more than Kuyt.
There's a big difference in the way Lavezzi plays, different kind of player altogether. I think he'll learn a lot from Torres and Torres would learn a trick or two from him.

I can't believe I'm adding to this hybrid thread (Fernando you hijacked my Lavezzi!! :crying)

YoungHOV
22-5-09, 15:35
Zarate signed a contract at Lazio about 2 weeks ago, so he'd probably cost about £50m.

im sure he would have been imense with us !! we need to get a good dribbler to unlock defence...but when i think of dribble the only one that comes in mind are ribery messy & ronaldo thats 50mil each on the real market!

because none of them are better than zinedine zizou!

--XerXeS--
22-5-09, 15:40
Lavezzi will eventually join us, Napoli are just trying to get more money from us by waiting and watching how much we bid.Its natural that theyd want to get the most for their player .However, if Lavezzi WANTS to join us , he will and nothing can stop that , however if he doesnt and Tevez does, then Tevez will.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
22-5-09, 15:41
Lavezzi will eventually join us, Napoli are just trying to get more money from us by wating and watching how much we bid. If Lavezzi WANTS to join us , he will and nothing can stop that , however if he doesnt and Tevez does, then Tevez will. However I'd rather have Lavezzi though.

Run that by me again....

KeemI
22-5-09, 15:41
"why go for an unknown"

worst comment of all time on these forums....going by your logic,we should have signed Bent,not Torres last season...:D

slimman
22-5-09, 15:42
It's hard to get excited by anything from goal.com as usually they talk absolute pap, but if any of this could be true I would love it.

I think he is the exact type of player we need and the guy would run through a brick wall for us.

Of course because of the fee, people think of trying to potentially signing Tevez but that might be too complicated a deal and maybe Rafa's thoughts are to conclude transfers nice and early and quickly this off season.

KeemI
22-5-09, 15:46
it's funny how no one talks about Aguero anymore...

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
22-5-09, 15:47
it's funny how no one talks about Aguero anymore...

Did you see his dive? :D

KeemI
22-5-09, 15:48
nah,not been watching much tv lately,so not seen any matches except ours....

Mapeke
22-5-09, 15:49
No one talks about Aguero because he'd cost about £40m.

KRegg
22-5-09, 15:52
"why go for an unknown"

worst comment of all time on these forums....going by your logic,we should have signed Bent,not Torres last season...:D

sometimes a young, unproven but hungry player is what a team needs. You can argue experience is more important, but perhaps the players has already won things and is complacent? I think signing a young Argentine who knows he'll have to work his ******** off to get games for the national team is a good thing for us. He'll be hungry to succeed and improve.

RedBaros
22-5-09, 15:56
"why go for an unknown"

exactly

It's hard to get excited by anything from goal.com as usually they talk absolute pap, but if any of this could be true I would love it.

I think he is the exact type of player we need and the guy would run through a brick wall for us.

Of course because of the fee, people think of trying to potentially signing Tevez but that might be too complicated a deal and maybe Rafa's thoughts are to conclude transfers nice and early and quickly this off season.

This subject was already up and running in the "first" Lavezzi thread.
The report I found was from Gazzette which Fowi said is usually trustworthy.

As I said in my last post, we don't need a slightly better version of Kuyt, we need a completely different kind of player with a different style.
Lavezzi has what we are looking for, Tevez doesnt and he's ex manc.

(Damnit why do I keep adding to this thread, you stole my baby fernando! :crying)

:D

AdoptedScouser1010
22-5-09, 15:56

babel
Arby
Reina
Lucas

1. Internal politics

Your point is neither a fact nor is it valid. The "proven in the Premiership" argument just doesn't hold water at all, when you look at the fact that the league is dominated by Ronaldo, Torres, Drogba, Van Persie, and the list goes on. You can say, "these are exceptions", but at what point do the exceptions become the rule? When I look at the Premiership, I see fewer dominant English players and more dominant foreign imports, which proves that just because a player doesn't play in the Premiership doesn't mean he won't do very well here.

Lavezzi is different to Tevez and is more of what we need right now, in my opinion. He's more creative and can play anywhere across the supporting three, which is perfect for us. Tevez would be a square peg in a round hole playing wide, and we need a player comfortable out there.

I also think that Benitez's transfer record is excellent given the money he's spent on players, but that's for another thread.

Lastly, this idea that internal politics and Benitez colluded to cause Keane's downfall is wrong. Was it internal politics that caused him to miss chance after chance and add almost nothing to our attacking game? Also, how can you say Benitez "didn't fancy him" when he started almost every game? Most players would kill for that kind of a chance at Liverpool, yet everyone banged on about how he was never given a chance.

Put it this way, Rafa gave him more chances than I would've given him, and he did nothing. Keane, a proven Premiership player, was not good enough and was not what we needed, full stop.

RedBaros
22-5-09, 16:14
Your point is neither a fact nor is it valid. The "proven in the Premiership" argument just doesn't hold water at all, when you look at the fact that the league is dominated by Ronaldo, Torres, Drogba, Van Persie, and the list goes on. You can say, "these are exceptions", but at what point do the exceptions become the rule? When I look at the Premiership, I see fewer dominant English players and more dominant foreign imports, which proves that just because a player doesn't play in the Premiership doesn't mean he won't do very well here.

Lavezzi is different to Tevez and is more of what we need right now, in my opinion. He's more creative and can play anywhere across the supporting three, which is perfect for us. Tevez would be a square peg in a round hole playing wide, and we need a player comfortable out there.

I also think that Benitez's transfer record is excellent given the money he's spent on players, but that's for another thread.

Lastly, this idea that internal politics and Benitez colluded to cause Keane's downfall is wrong. Was it internal politics that caused him to miss chance after chance and add almost nothing to our attacking game? Also, how can you say Benitez "didn't fancy him" when he started almost every game? Most players would kill for that kind of a chance at Liverpool, yet everyone banged on about how he was never given a chance.

Put it this way, Rafa gave him more chances than I would've given him, and he did nothing. Keane, a proven Premiership player, was not good enough and was not what we needed, full stop.

"full stop" ;):D

*steam coming out of ears* :D

well said that

*applause*

:)

Yankfield
22-5-09, 16:51
Lavezzi is not proven in the Prem.....................:rolleyes:

Simo429
22-5-09, 16:56

outstanding post

and you didnt feel the need to call your opinion fact unlike certain posters

KOPGIRL1971
22-5-09, 16:59
at this rate we'll soon have enough Argies here for another offensive against the Falklands, this time from the Mother Land! :D

Simo429
22-5-09, 17:03
at this rate we'll soon have enough Argies here for another offensive against the Falklands, this time from the Mother Land! :D

we'd just dig up the bones of maggie thatcher to scare them off (wishful thinking that the ***** is dead)

Gibz
22-5-09, 17:06
Its like Rafa says, its not about buying the most expensive leg for the table (Tevez) its about buying the right leg to balance it (hopefully Lavezzi?). The question is though, will he be the right player or will he dissapoint like Dossena for example? I honestly dont know that much about Lavezzi, not watching any games with him playing so I'm just going to have to go along with the hype...

KOPGIRL1971
22-5-09, 17:06
we'd just dig up the bones of maggie thatcher to scare them off (wishful thinking that the ***** is dead)

and ask prince edward to lead the allied forces :)

Yankfield
22-5-09, 17:08
and ask prince edward to lead the allied forces :)

What a gay day...................................

KOPGIRL1971
22-5-09, 17:09
Its like Rafa says, its not about buying the most expensive leg for the table (Tevez) its about buying the right leg to balance it (hopefully Lavezzi?). The question is though, will he be the right player or will he dissapoint like Dossena for example? I honestly dont know that much about Lavezzi, not watching any games with him playing so I'm just going to have to go along with the hype...

just type his name into youtube for a goals compilation and to read some comments from excited LFC fans

Simo429
22-5-09, 17:13

i personally havent seen that much of him but plenty of people whos opinion i respect think he's a better choice than tevez because he has more strings to his bow

he's certainly not a bad player but whether he is the player for us is a different matter

KOPGIRL1971
22-5-09, 17:15
he's a bit chunky - you could fit 2 bennys in that shirt!

quite a tasty player though, strong AND agile

Speshhh
22-5-09, 17:16
Anyone remember the last player we signed from Italy :eek:

Simo429
22-5-09, 17:17
Anyone remember the last player we signed from Italy :eek:

anyone remember that little bloke that chelsea signed from italy?

KOPGIRL1971
22-5-09, 17:19
wow, they are quick on wiki:

On May 22nd Liverpool had a bid of £18m rejected by Napoli for Lavezzi but the two clubs are holding talks over a £20m deal

LFC_Fan_1_2
22-5-09, 17:21
I very much doubt we'll be signing Ezequiel, although I'm sure he'll be off somewhere, probably Juventus. Rafa wants to buy Gareth Barry, and he'll surely arrive. He also has to buy a stiker as we are desperately short in this department. Only then will he look at luxury signings, of which I don't Lavezzi will be one. Its more likely he'd go for what I'd call not a no-mark, but not a superstar, from Spain at some point. Oh, and he'll definitely go for a centre back of variable (not guaranteed) quality.

Simo429
22-5-09, 17:23
I very much doubt we'll be signing Ezequiel, although I'm sure he'll be off somewhere, probably Juventus. Rafa wants to buy Gareth Barry, and he'll surely arrive. He also has to buy a stiker as we are desperately short in this department. Only then will he look at luxury signings, of which I don't Lavezzi will be one. Its more likely he'd go for what I'd call not a no-mark, but not a superstar, from Spain at some point. Oh, and he'll definitely go for a centre back of variable (not guaranteed) quality.

but the point with lavezzi isnt just a striker

he can play a number of different roles

Gibz
22-5-09, 17:27
Well from what I have seen on Youtube it looks like he will be winning us plenty of free kicks and penaltys. The compilations I've seen are just basically fouls on him as oppossed to goals. But like I said earlier, if he's the right player for us then its all good.

I personally dont feel Tevez is the the right player for us though at this moment in time as he doesnt play on the wings much and he isnt good enough to oust Torres or Gerrard up front. He is like Crouch in that he is an excellent impact player so he'll have the same problems here as he what he moans about at Man U. The main reason I see people wanting Tevez is just to annoy the mancs but it would annoy me more if we got bent over a barrell by his pimp just to spite Fergie.

LFC_Fan_1_2
22-5-09, 17:28

Exactly, so he's not that striker that we need. And with our (I believe) limited finances, we're more likely to buy Barry --> a striker --> a centre back --> a right back, before we even contemplate any flair players.

Simo429
22-5-09, 17:29
Exactly, so he's not that striker that we need. And with our (I believe) limited finances, we're more likely to buy Barry --> a striker --> a centre back --> a right back, before we even contemplate any flair players.

so you'd rather sign an average player than sign a potential world class player who wont just sit on the bench?

right oh :rolleyes:

LFC_Fan_1_2
22-5-09, 17:32
so you'd rather sign an average player than sign a potential world class player who wont just sit on the bench?

right oh :rolleyes:

I'm not saying what I'd like to see happen, I'm saying what I think will happen.

Simo429
22-5-09, 17:35
I'm not saying what I'd like to see happen, I'm saying what I think will happen.

i don agree

lavezzi would solve a multitude of problems we would have the flair player for the wide roles and have cover for torres in case of injuries

he's also a fantastic player who can develop

LFC_Fan_1_2
22-5-09, 17:36
i don agree

lavezzi would solve a multitude of problems we would have the flair player for the wide roles and have cover for torres in case of injuries

I'm not denying any of this, but Rafa works under many constraints, one being that there are specific positions that he needs to fill first, and also the fact that he really wants Gareth Barry.

RedBaros
22-5-09, 17:36

This makes no sense whatsoever. We play a 4231 with Torres main man, and you don't want to sign a versatile striker?

Before we even contemplate any flair players?

Just because there's a lot of talk about Barry doesn't make him priority number 1. The first thing we should do is sign a flair player, and yes that does mean Lavezzi, and that might have something to do with Rafa offering 22m euros for his services.

Completely got your theories upside down there fella

MutantSpaceMonkeys
22-5-09, 17:38

i don agree

Literacy not a strong point, is it?

Simo429
22-5-09, 17:38
Literacy not a strong point, is it?

you failed to read i failed to spell check

know who id rather be

nightninja56
22-5-09, 17:48
No one talks about Aguero because he'd cost about £40m.

i still say forlan > aguero

but maybe that's just me

LFC_Fan_1_2
22-5-09, 17:51
i still say forlan > aguero

but maybe that's just me

Maybe you're right, but he is nine years older.

And all this Lavezzi jazz, if we were to sign anyone for such crazy money, I think we should be going for someone more established than this Joe. Lets be honest, @ 23 he's hardly made a stir in world football, or made a name for himself on the international stage. I'm sure AndyFagan and NNNNNNNNick would like to see Wesley Sneijder over Ebeneezer Lavezzi

nightninja56
22-5-09, 17:56
Maybe you're right, but he is nine years older.

And all this Lavezzi jazz, if we were to sign anyone for such crazy money, I think we should be going for someone more established than this Joe. Lets be honest, @ 23 he's hardly made a stir in world football, or made a name for himself on the international stage. I'm sure AndyFagan and NNNNNNNNick would like to see Wesley Sneijder over Ebeneezer Lavezzi

as much as i'm thinking lavezzi is a good buy, for that price a more established player might be better for us. if he was cheaper or we can work out a trade deal (dossena and 5m?) it would be a much better idea

Simo429
22-5-09, 17:58
as much as i'm thinking lavezzi is a good buy, for that price a more established player might be better for us. if he was cheaper or we can work out a trade deal (dossena and 5m?) it would be a much better idea

the problem is world class players become available so rarely

we did luck out with torres and masch

so if we are going to improve the numbers of world class players in our side we need to invest in this sort of lad with the potential to be great

nightninja56
22-5-09, 18:01

so if we are going to improve the numbers of world class players in our side we need to invest in this sort of lad with the potential to be great

oh yeah, i totally agree that he would be a great investment. or at least i hope he would be. we just don't want to have another keane mistake, just in case.

RedBaros
22-5-09, 18:06

It seems Lavezzi has no chance of becoming world class because he isn't established, and hasn't caused a stir in world football.

what else was there?

unproven in the prem
we shouldnt sign him because he's versatile

I can't carry on with this crazy talk, I'm glad my Lavezzi thread went out of sight before all this uunska came along.

Good luck Simo, you'll need it here I reckon :)

Simo429
22-5-09, 18:07
It seems Lavezzi has no chance of becoming world class because he isn't established, and hasn't caused a stir in world football.

what else was there?

unproven in the prem
we shouldnt sign him because he's versatile

I can't carry on with this crazy talk, I'm glad my Lavezzi thread went out of sight before all this uunska came along.

Good luck Simo, you'll need it here I reckon :)

can you not continue because your z button is broke?

RedBaros
22-5-09, 18:16
can you not continue because your z button is broke?

:D exactly

some of the dross I've witnessed today is outstanding

I withdraw wo fight another day

Fowler be with you on this one comrade ;)

IRWT (that means I think we can trust Rafa with his 22m offer for El Pocho)

wish my sidways N still worked

Good luck signing LaveNNI Rafa, hit them with 25m and Voronin!

:D

Stoney79
22-5-09, 18:22
For those of you who follow Italian football what has happned to Roma's Vucinic his season? This time last year he was hot property and looked a decent versatile striker. Has he had a bad season?

Snippes
22-5-09, 18:58

End of thread...thanks.

However, Lavezzi would be a tremendous buy.

LIVERBIRDMX
22-5-09, 19:47
Lavezzi is a wonder kid.....massive addition, rather have him than Silva to be honest...and if we land him, we might not need Tevez, however, both Lavezzi and Tevez would do wonders....

Lavezzi, Barry and Johnson would do my summer. 22 million Euros is not bad, under 20 million quid

In Rafa we Trust

markusB
22-5-09, 19:48

AdoptedScouser1010 Thanks for your points. Thats the thing with football, it will always envoke opinion.

The exceptions you mentioned are indeed quality players. But they did not show their quality from day on. In Van Persie's case, whilst he is quality, he still needs to show over the season (my opinion),

And yes Tevez is a busy player. my opinion again, Tevez is a skillful striker, he opens up defences. Granted i can't see him deployed anywhere other than up front or behind the main striker. I have only seen Lavezzi on You Tube, but he looks like somebody that goes past people, with the potential to score goals. I cannot confirm if they are truly different players.

Last point Robbie keane. I agree he did miss more chances than he scored, but who signs a player and gives them half a season. I know the argument about the offer being to good to turn down. Could Keane have won us more games. Truly we will never know. And if Lavezzi does the same then will he also go at the mid point of the seaon. Remember Peter Crouch couldn't score for what 10 or 15 games, so the argument about strikers missing chances is weak.

Just my thoughts...

AdoptedScouser1010
22-5-09, 20:13
AdoptedScouser1010 Thanks for your points. Thats the thing with football, it will always envoke opinion.

The exceptions you mentioned are indeed quality players. But they did not show their quality from day on. In Van Persie's case, whilst he is quality, he still needs to show over the season (my opinion),

And yes Tevez is a busy player. my opinion again, Tevez is a skillful striker, he opens up defences. Granted i can't see him deployed anywhere other than up front or behind the main striker. I have only seen Lavezzi on You Tube, but he looks like somebody that goes past people, with the potential to score goals. I cannot confirm if they are truly different players.

Last point Robbie keane. I agree he did miss more chances than he scored, but who signs a player and gives them half a season. I know the argument about the offer being to good to turn down. Could Keane have won us more games. Truly we will never know. And if Lavezzi does the same then will he also go at the mid point of the seaon. Remember Peter Crouch couldn't score for what 10 or 15 games, so the argument about strikers missing chances is weak.

Just my thoughts...

Good thoughts, and I'll take them one by one. Yes, foreign players take time to settle on certain occasions, but that is no reason not to buy them, especially when Lavezzi is 24 (I think, maybe 23). Then again, look at Torres and Drogba as counter-examples to Van Persie and Ronaldo. Also, you never know when a "Premiership proven" player will take just as long to settle, as you so aptly point out with Keane taking time to settle here (I'll deal with that when I come to it though). The fact is, any player is a gamble, whether they're from a foreign league or the Premiership. Some players take time to settle no matter what league they're from, others don't. The league you come from has no bearing. I don't think being a Premiership player makes you any more likely to succeed at Liverpool as a new signing. I think Lavezzi will have no problems settling in here, especially if we get him early.

Okay, now regarding Tevez. He is a great player, and I've always said that. As you say, his work ethic is great, he's skillful, and he adds a lot to the team when he's on the pitch. However, great player that he is, he is not the player for our team, in my opinion. As you say, he can't play wide, and wide positions are where we need to spend our money and improve. Lavezzi can play wide and also can play second striker, and that's what we're crying out for. You are right that he goes past people for fun, gets into the box and sets up chances.

On Keane, it wasn't as though he was performing great and just missing chances. During Crouch's barren spell, he added a lot to our team's play and helped us win a lot of games. Keane quite simply did not. He slowed down our attack, lost the ball, and generally looked like a passenger.

However, that's not the thing that got me angry at Keane, and at the supporters who took his side. I would've stuck with him, as you rightly say, if he had put his head down and tried to get out of his bad run of form. The thing that irked me was his attitude of blaming Benitez or him getting subbed for his lack of form. The look on his face, the snide remarks, really got to me. Keane was given ample chances, did absolutely nothing, and then chose to blame it on lack of playing time, when he got more starts and minutes than most players at this club. To be honest, if I was the manager, the first time he pulled one of his, "You can't be serious" faces when his number came up on the board, I would've given him the hair-dryer treatment and benched him for 2 weeks. If he didn't sort himself out from there, I would've sold him on January 1st.

Keane was a prima donna without any skill to warrant his attitude. The only person to blame for his poor spell at Liverpool is himself. For a 28 year old man, he acted like an absolute baby. I don't care about how good the deal was, I would've taken a lot less for him. He's a decent striker for a decent side (Spurs) and that's his level. He was found out at a higher level and chose to blame everything and everyone but himself.

As to your question, if Lavezzi has that attitude and puts in those performances, I'll want him gone in 6 months too. I do think Rafa's scouts are too meticulous to buy another of those kinds of players, however.

markusB
22-5-09, 20:40
Well said. Yes, I also saw Keane's attitude when substituted.

Can you blame him for wanting to play on. Not too sure about Keane slowing down the attack. I remember the West Brom game. Even with their defence he seemed to move fast, but I take your point.

Back to Lavezzi, he's welcome if he will add to what we already have. The wings appear to be the most difficult position to fill, because only Kuyt seems the only constant. Whoever comes in needs to be on the same wavelength as Gerrard/Torres/Kuyt. I would say Benny has done a good job when asked, and Reina is getting better.

The game intelligents is something you wont know until you have signed them. Lets hope he's the missing link.

Cheers

RedBaros
22-5-09, 20:43
to add to that if I may... Lavezzi can play 4 positions, Keane was a second striker only.

which also means Lavezzi won't solely be judged on goals scored, he will be brought to the club to create chances and cause havoc with defences.

Lavezzi will prosper and is the right man for the job.

Most people here see that

and more importantly, Rafa sees it.

It comes as no surprise to me that our first serious offer on the table is for him, and what an offer, go on Rafa lad, sign him up!!

tegs
22-5-09, 20:46
i think tevez would be a better buy than lavezzi... premiership experience,built like a tank and opens up play and links well with uniteds other players... just what we need.... that does not mean lavezzi is a bad buy he has potential to become world class but will we take another risk after the keane fiasco?

RedBaros
22-5-09, 20:50
i think tevez would be a better buy than lavezzi... premiership experience,built like a tank and opens up play and links well with uniteds other players... just what we need.... that does not mean lavezzi is a bad buy he has potential to become world class but will we take another risk after the keane fiasco?

All the answers to your questions are above you tegs..

markusB
22-5-09, 20:52
[QUOTE=Redbaros;1933955]

QUOTE]

The jury is out on that one.
If he comes, and goes down the Mark Gonzales/Ryan Babel road I know where you live.

-Pace-
22-5-09, 21:02
What's a "mega bid" for us is what Man Utd pay for squad players, some who hardly play...Anderson, Hargreaves, Nani etc etc were all near enough the £20 million mark, yet weren't mega bids because we're poor in comparison :crying

nightninja56
22-5-09, 21:08

some might disagree, but i think he's just not consistent enough. sure, he's proven in the premiership, but wouldn't it be better to invest in someone like lavezzi who seems to be a little more versatile and consistent?

RedBaros
22-5-09, 21:19
[QUOTE=Redbaros;1933955]

QUOTE]

If he comes, and goes down the Mark Gonzales/Ryan Babel road I know where you live.

I understand your point but...

I'm only recently acquainted, Fowi who's an old dog on this forum has been saying the same about Lavezzi for the last 2years he says.
That would mean Lavezzi was 21 back then.

Sometimes you see a player and you get a buzz, that's the guy we need.
I was all for Silva until I saw Lavezzi, Silva is a close second now.

To add to my conviction is today's news about Rafa offering 22million for him.

I knew we were linked but I didn't think my favourite player was to be our first serious offer of the summer. I was (in an uncomfortable way) expecting to hear more about Tevez.

Time will tell but I think this guy could make a big impact.
Roll on Monday for part 2
IRWT

Simo429
22-5-09, 21:38

Stuttgart?

tobitrice
22-5-09, 21:50
This guy sounds like a deep-lying striker/winger, and we already have too many of those. Apart from torres we dont have anyone that can lead the line, so we need a back-up centre forward, not another 'hole' striker.

Simo429
22-5-09, 21:53
This guy sounds like a deep-lying striker/winger, and we already have too many of those. Apart from torres we dont have anyone that can lead the line, so we need a back-up centre forward, not another 'hole' striker.

name me a player that will do the job that torres does that is willing the sit on the bench?

we need to look for players like lavezzi and switch our system if torres isnt fit

and since when do we have to many wide players (i wont use the word winger because we only have one of them and lavezzi has never been a winger)
wide players we have

riera
kuyt (who is really a centre forward)
yossi (who again is better in another position)
babel (who may not be here next season)
el zahr (who is a back up)
stevie (who doesnt want to play there)

Stan85
22-5-09, 21:53
So pleased that these rumours/news are appearing! Seems like Rafa might want to move things quick and get on with it this summer with no Parry about.

I think Lavezzi could be an amazing player for us. He is versatile which we know Rafa likes and our formation/squad needs. He is quick, strong, agile and can go past people and also, he looks like he will run his arse off which you often don't get with "flair" players.

I don't know a great deal about him, but he looks like one of the best options around and it could actually happen!

I will be over the moon if we sign him! :D

Lavezzi, Johnson, Barry and keep Alonso will be an awesome summer for me.

tobitrice
22-5-09, 22:01
name me a player that will do the job that torres does that is willing the sit on the bench?

we need to look for players like lavezzi and switch our system if torres isnt fit

and since when do we have to many wide players (i wont use the word winger because we only have one of them and lavezzi has never been a winger)
wide players we have

riera
kuyt (who is really a centre forward)
yossi (who again is better in another position)
babel (who may not be here next season)
el zahr (who is a back up)
stevie (who doesnt want to play there)

If torres isnt fit, we have no one else to lead the line. Dont you agree? Can lavezzi lead the line if torres is unavailable?

And yes, i meant to say wide midfielder instead of winger.