PDA

View Full Version : Glen Johnson - Right Wing?

Pages : [1] 2 3

YoungJedi
13-6-09, 19:16
Seen a lot of lads saying that Johnson is suspect defensively - is Rafa planning to make him into a right winger? Has he got that in his locker?

Rod19ers
13-6-09, 19:18
Doubt it, Kuyt is doing really well now as our right winger, I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson did go right wing in a few games in the season, like Dossena on the left and Riise used to, but he will mainly be played right back if we get him.

Fowi
Why can't we just sign a winger instead? It's not like we're getting Johnson for 2mil either.

RafaLaBamba
Errrrrrrrrrr not in our formation;).

rutilus
I'll stick my neck out and say no. He's a bit too big and cumbersome to be a proper winger. I'm sure he could do a job out there but it wouldn't be what he's best at, imo.

MickeyLove
13-6-09, 19:19
Spending 15 million on Johnson is bad enough.....

Fowi
13-6-09, 19:20
Spending 15 million on Johnson is bad enough.....

16mil. :p

YoungJedi
13-6-09, 19:21
Just trying to figure out why Rafa would be spending that on him... does he see other options with him?

Sneets
13-6-09, 19:22
I was just discussing this with a mate of mine today as his defensive ability has always been his weak point. He is fast enough, has good close control, can cross well and has the knack of getting in behind defences, he also has a venomous shot. It is not such a daft idea.

Fowi
13-6-09, 19:23
Just trying to figure out why Rafa would be spending that on him... does he see other options with him?

I doubt the figures are accurate even if we do sign him. Don't forget that Pompey apparently owe us some money from the Crouch deal. Who knows, maybe we had some sort of first option on Johnson as well.

I just don't see Rafa spending 16mil on Johnson. Not even a rich club would do that.

-Tintin-
13-6-09, 19:23

Yes, Right back, sell Arbeloa for 8m

Rod19ers
13-6-09, 19:26

Rafa want's attacking full backs.
We need the best players in this moment in time.
We want more English/ British players, and need them for the CL registration.
We need a Right Back to compete with Arbeloa and to add depth into the squad.

I just think Johnson is the only player that fits all of these. And I can't see anybody else that does and that will be cheaper/younger than this. There maybe better players out there, but at the moment theres no better English Right back than Johnson.

AdoptedScouser1010
Hmm, an interesting thought, but I don't think so. I think anyone who watches the trends of European football (and our side as well) will realize that full backs are becoming more and more important to a side's attacking game by providing width and impetus down the flanks. We all know Rafa likes two sitting midfielders in the center, and if that's the case, you need serious attacking fullbacks. Insua is developing into one of those down the left, and Johnson fits the bill down the right.

Insua very much changed our play and made us much more fluid, and I think Johnson will add a similar dimension to our play from RB.

RedBaros
Seen a lot of lads saying that Johnson is suspect defensively - is Rafa planning to make him into a right winger? Has he got that in his locker?

What have we been lacking? An attacking RB and competition for Arbeloa.
Rafa will sort out his defensive side and then we'll have the complete package.

Don't forget the 20m bid for Lavezzi..;)

Trebor1985
13-6-09, 19:30
i dont know why your knockin glen johnson Fowi, he's probably the best right back in the premier league and is suited very well to our team, seeing as we like to push our fullbacks forward often. Kuyt is the perfect foil for johnson and that will help on the slight weakness in defence. On the other hand he will be training with carra, who will most likely provide him with a fair few pointers, and in a better team, hes more likely to improve quickly to strengthen his weak areas. As it is, hes not a terrible defender, hes just as good as arbeloa, if not better, at the back.

Fowi
13-6-09, 19:33
i dont know why your knockin glen johnson Fowi, he's probably the best right back in the premier league and is suited very well to our team, seeing as we like to push our fullbacks forward often. Kuyt is the perfect foil for johnson and that will help on the slight weakness in defence. On the other hand he will be training with carra, who will most likely provide him with a fair few pointers, and in a better team, hes more likely to improve quickly to strengthen his weak areas. As it is, hes not a terrible defender, hes just as good as arbeloa, if not better, at the back.

I wouldn't mind him at Liverpool. Just not for 16mil or anything close to that.

EskilJehn
13-6-09, 19:43
I think 8-10 million would be fair for Glen Johnson.

Anyway we'll see. I'm sure Rafa wants English players, but not at any cost.

He he has to pay double the price because it's an English player, then he might as well just buy foreign and put 4 reserves in the squad - e.g. Spearing, Darby, Kelly and Irwin.

RedBaros
13-6-09, 20:06

This summer more than ever prices are getting out of hand.
We have to keep up and that means forking out for the right player.

If GJ is worth that now, what will he be worth after sorting out his defensive side and playing for a top 4 side as the first choice RB?

Give it 2/3 years, especially with him being English, he'll be equivalent in value to Ramos today.

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 20:07

If it doesn't stop us from signing whichever attacking player we want, I don't mind if we overpay for Johnson.

kopitecrash
13-6-09, 20:29
no. rafa will just improve him defensively. hes not actually as bad at defending as he has made himself look recently. i think hed be a good signing, not to mention of benefit to darby.

DanLFC92
13-6-09, 20:31
I still think Arbeloa may be on his travels in the transfer window.

fernandothelegend
13-6-09, 20:36
How about kuyt right back and johnson right mid:)

kopitecrash
13-6-09, 20:42
I still think Arbeloa may be on his travels in the transfer window.

same. i think he wanted to move last summer, and of all the players, i think hes among the most likely to leave.

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 20:43
Glen Johnson - Right Wing?

I think he's a Lib Dem.

DanLFC92
13-6-09, 20:44
same. i think he wanted to move last summer, and of all the players, i think hes among the most likely to leave.

Rumours were that he was homesick. And seeing him at the last game of the season he had a very young child, possibly wants to go back to Spain to bring it up over there. Also his reaction to Carra was very interesting, i think most players know there is a line with him and Arb crossed it. I think that was a sign of him just of having enough.

LFC_Fan_1_2
13-6-09, 20:47
Gee its like everyone thinks we've signed him already :rolleyes:

To be honest I'll believe it when I see it. I still think Man City or Chelsea could be in the box seat if they've bid against us

charlesbukowski
13-6-09, 20:50
Rumours were that he was homesick. And seeing him at the last game of the season he had a very young child, possibly wants to go back to Spain to bring it up over there. Also his reaction to Carra was very interesting, i think most players know there is a line with him and Arb crossed it. I think that was a sign of him just of having enough.

If anyone crossed the line it was definitely Carragher in my opinion. But have to agree, especially if he stays for one more season we won't get a lot of money because his contract expires in 2011. I really like him and he is a great servant but it would probably the best for everyone.

LFC_Fan_1_2
13-6-09, 20:56
I think it would be a big mistake letting Arbeloa leave. Firstly he's our only established right back at present, has the ability to play left back which I know probably isn't that important, and better still can play centre back, which if Rafa doesn't want to go out and buy another centre back, will be useful for next season. If its the 3 centre backs and Arbeloa next season, then that wouldn't be so bad

DanLFC92
13-6-09, 20:57
If anyone crossed the line it was definitely Carragher in my opinion. But have to agree, especially if he stays for one more season we won't get a lot of money because his contract expires in 2011. I really like him and he is a great servant but it would probably the best for everyone.

No i agree Carra did cross the line but I think most people would have walked away but Arb gave him a gobfull back and it seemed to me as he had just had had enough.

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 20:58
I think it would be a big mistake letting Arbeloa leave. Firstly he's our only established right back at present, has the ability to play left back which I know probably isn't that important, and better still can play centre back, which if Rafa doesn't want to go out and buy another centre back, will be useful for next season. If its the 3 centre backs and Arbeloa next season, then that wouldn't be so bad

I would prefer to keep Arbeloa, but there have been stories for a while now that he isn't entirely happy over here. They may not be true, but it's not entirely impossible.

Redhead
13-6-09, 20:59
If Rafa signs Johnson, is he planning 3 5 2 next season? Just a thought?

DanLFC92
13-6-09, 21:02
I would prefer to keep Arbeloa, but there have been stories for a while now that he isn't entirely happy over here. They may not be true, but it's not entirely impossible.

I think he's generally hacked off with England. I mean this is a poor example but against Spurs on the last day he came through the turnstile in the corner linking Anny Road and Centenury Stand and wished to go across the pitch with his wife and new born kid. The Steward, being a right jobsworth, didn't let him and to say he wasn't happy is an understatement.

Homesick at a guess and I think its becoming more apparant.

LFC_Fan_1_2
13-6-09, 21:02

If he stays I think our defensive problems could be saved by 1 signing, a new right back.

If he goes I think our defensive problems may have be solved by 3 signings = more disruption

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 21:05
If he stays I think our defensive problems could be saved by 1 signing, a new right back.

If he goes I think our defensive problems may have be solved by 3 signings = more disruption

If he goes I guess we would have to have Darby as reserve right back and Kelly or San Jose as reserve centre back. Could be a gamble. If we sign Johnson though, he may think that he will hardly get any grass time next year, and as such may wish to leave.

LFC_Fan_1_2
13-6-09, 21:08
If he goes I guess we would have to have Darby as reserve right back and Kelly or San Jose as reserve centre back. Could be a gamble. If we sign Johnson though, he may think that he will hardly get any grass time next year, and as such may wish to leave.

Martin Kelly maybe, but I wouldn't want to call up Darby, that would stink of desperation. We'd literally have to give Degen a chance providing he stays injury free. Now that really would be cutting costs.

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 21:10
Martin Kelly maybe, but I wouldn't want to call up Darby, that would stink of desperation. We'd literally have to give Degen a chance providing he stays injury free. Now that really would be cutting costs.

I guess it's all down to Arbeloa. I would be surprised if Rafa wanted to sell him.

DanLFC92
13-6-09, 21:13
I guess it's all down to Arbeloa. I would be surprised if Rafa wanted to sell him.

Spot on.

sevenman
13-6-09, 21:15
I hope we don't sign Johnson. For the price quoted and the fact he isn't that much better if he is at all than Arbeloa I fail to see what the logic is behind it.

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 21:17
I hope we don't sign Johnson. For the price quoted and the fact he isn't that much better if he is at all than Arbeloa I fail to see what the logic is behind it.

The fee suggested is way too expensive, but if it doesn't stop us signing the attacking player(s) we want, I don't mind what we pay. I think he'd be an improvement, and I don't mind overpaying if we still get our other target(s).

LFC_Fan_1_2
13-6-09, 21:18

I have this idea, and I hope Rafa does to, that we'll be a much better side if we have a more effective right wing. Johnson is pacy, incisive and can cross very well. We're crying out for someone who can do that, and while 15m would be a silly price for any right back, it would make that much of a difference I feel. Also I feel you'd see Kuyt get into the box with more confidence.

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 21:20
I have this idea, and I hope Rafa does to, that we'll be a much better side if we have a more effective right wing. Johnson is pacy, incisive and can cross very well. We're crying out for someone who can do that, and while 15m would be a silly price for any right back, it would make that much of a difference I feel. Also I feel you'd see Kuyt get into the box with more confidence.

Agree - Riera adding balance has already enabled Kuyt to spend more time as a kind of inside right forward. Johnson as right back would allow Kuyt more opportunities to be a threat in the box.

LFC_Fan_1_2
13-6-09, 21:23
Agree - Riera adding balance has already enabled Kuyt to spend more time as a kind of inside right forward. Johnson as right back would allow Kuyt more opportunities to be a threat in the box.

Kuyt and Torres both have a lot of aerial prowress for want of a better cliche. And we saw against Andorra how well Johnson can cross a ball from right back. Its probably the only area in the pitch along with whoever plays left wing at the club be it Riera, Babel etc. where a like for like replacement will improve the side without changing the way we play. If there was only going to be two signings for the first team this season it would be right back and left wing.

sevenman

I see our left as more of a priority. I'd rather add another however much million and get Maicon who we all know is world class, assuming we would be of interest to him. Johnson does have qualities, I don't deny that but I don't see him as the answer, I also think some are getting carried away simply because he's English.

Early on in the season Kuyt looked much more comfortable when El Zhar played on the right, it allowed Dirk to float inside and he really did quite well.

Em-inLeam
It doesn't matter that Johnson is weak at defending, we have Masch and Alonso to cover for the full backs when they bomb formard.

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 21:26
I see our left as more of a priority. I'd rather add another however much million and get Maicon who we all know is world class, assuming we would be of interest to him. Johnson does have qualities, I don't deny that but I don't see him as the answer, I also think some are getting carried away simply because he's English.

Early on in the season Kuyt looked much more comfortable when El Zhar played on the right, it allowed Dirk to float inside and he really did quite well.

I think we may struggle to get Maicon, as Real are rumoured to be interested. That would free up Ramos, but they paid 20 million for him in the first place :crying

Em-inLeam
13-6-09, 21:27
On a side note; why aren't there any compilation videos of Johnson? Is it only Liverpool fans who bother to make them for their players?

sevenman
13-6-09, 21:28
I think we may struggle to get Maicon, as Real are rumoured to be interested. That would free up Ramos, but they paid 20 million for him in the first place :crying

I'm currently thinking it would be more beneficial to us to blow our entire budget on Maicon, not so much Ramos but I would for Maicon, he'd completely change our right hand side.

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 21:29
When talking about Johnson's value, we have to remember that he is the starting right back for the national team ranked 6th in the world. People saying he should cost 8 million should realise that no 24 year old starter for the 6th best team in the world would be that cheap.

sevenman
13-6-09, 21:31
When talking about Johnson's value, we have to remember that he is the starting right back for the national team ranked 6th in the world. People saying he should cost 8 million should realise that no 24 year old starter for the 6th best team in the world would be that cheap.

Also when stating such facts, there is a worldwide shortage of quality right backs, especially in this country.

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 21:31
I'm currently thinking it would be more beneficial to us to blow our entire budget on Maicon, not so much Ramos but I would for Maicon, he'd completely change our right hand side.

I would be happy if we only signed him, and nobody else - but I just have a feeling that we may not appeal to him. If he's available, every team in the world will want him :( Also, if we blew over 20 million on a right back, didn't sign anyone else, then didn;t win the league, Rafa would be leaving himself very open to criticism.

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 21:32
Also when stating such facts, there is a worldwide shortage of quality right backs, especially in this country.

True. There's the big 2 in Brazil, then Ramos and perhaps someone like Srna that are well known. Right backs are at a premium.

sevenman
13-6-09, 21:32
I would be happy if we only signed him, and nobody else - but I just have a feeling that we may not appeal to him. If he's available, every team in the world will want him :( Also, if we blew over 20 million on a right back, didn't sign anyone else, then didn;t win the league, Rafa would be leaving himself very open to criticism.

Ultimately though, if United were to grab the likes of Ribery and Benzema it would be incredibly difficult for anyone to beat them.

sevenman
13-6-09, 21:34
True. There's the big 2 in Brazil, then Ramos and perhaps someone like Srna that are well known. Right backs are at a premium.

I was a massive fan of Sagna and actually quoted him before as being world class, but he seems to have disappeared from the radar completely and looks nothing like the player he did a few seasons ago.

LFC_Fan_1_2
13-6-09, 21:35
Its not about getting Maicon or Dani Alves or whoever. Get Johnson and give him a chance to play in a great side and in the CL and he may prove himself to be great.

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 21:36
I was a massive fan of Sagna and actually quoted him before as being world class, but he seems to have disappeared from the radar completely and looks nothing like the player he did a few seasons ago.

He looked brilliant 2 seasons ago, has he been injured though? Maicon and Sagna were both discovered in the French League and cost peanuts. There are probably players out there that we don't know about, but maybe Rafa does (fingers crossed).

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 21:37
Its not about getting Maicon or Dani Alves or whoever. Get Johnson and give him a chance to play in a great side and in the CL and he may prove himself to be great.

I am hopeful he would be a very good player. If we can still afford a top attacking player then i hope we go for it.

SweetCarrollNine
13-6-09, 21:37

I think top quality full backs in general are in short supply.

On Johnson's price, he did pompy a huge favour by signing a new contract in Jan and it will give him a handy wedge from whoever buys him too.

As for him being a right winger, not for me but if he comes here he'll spend a fair bit of time ahead of Dirk after bombing on I'd hope.

sevenman
13-6-09, 21:38

The same could be said about Stuart Downing.

sevenman
13-6-09, 21:39
He looked brilliant 2 seasons ago, has he been injured though? Maicon and Sagna were both discovered in the French League and cost peanuts. There are probably players out there that we don't know about, but maybe Rafa does (fingers crossed).

He's played in other 3/4 of the league games. Rafa won't get a sniff on those players, Wenger probably already has these guys on board.

LFC_Fan_1_2
13-6-09, 21:43

Yes you could. But right backs are more obscure than left wingers and thus its hard to judge on how effective they are going forward.

Anyway, we all know Downing is rubbish.

SweetCarrollNine
13-6-09, 21:44

:fishing

ReubenStuddard
13-6-09, 21:44
Yes you could. But right backs are more obscure than left wingers and thus its hard to judge on how effective they are going forward.

Anyway, we all know Downing is rubbish.

Can't we just get Gerrard to play in both positions at the same time?

fernandothelegend
13-6-09, 21:46
Where has the downing talk came from.

sevenman
13-6-09, 21:48
Where has the downing talk came from.

About 8 posts up in this thread.

fernandothelegend
13-6-09, 21:50
About 8 posts up in this thread.

What about as he is not good enough to take us forward and would be an improvement on riera.

Just seen him going into Hope St hotel.

Happy days. from echo forum which is strange as i thought johnson was on holiday. Crazy time is well upon us and i for one can't wiat until we start playing football again.

Graggster
13-6-09, 22:04
Kuyt and Johnson would have very good balance.

fernandothelegend
13-6-09, 22:05

You have evrything with those two pace,power,skill,work-rate,assists,goals.

sevenman
13-6-09, 22:06

We want football players, not players who would be better of at a circus.

jamiechloe
13-6-09, 22:06

he spend 20 mill on Robbie keane!!!!!!!!

Graggster
13-6-09, 22:07
You have evrything with those two pace,power,skill,work-rate,assists,goals.

I agree... Its more than good enough.

Also kuyt covering johnson will be essential in their partnership.

fernandothelegend
13-6-09, 22:08

Kuyt has said he'd play right back if rafa asked him and both can cover each other. Going forward johnson would provide width and kuyt can get in the box for near post crosses.

Graggster
13-6-09, 22:10
Kuyt has said he'd play right back if rafa asked him and both can cover each other. Going forward johnson would provide width and kuyt can get in the box for near post crosses.

Indeed

YoungJedi
13-6-09, 22:16

That was my earlier point about Kuyt covering him if he adopts a more wingback type attacking position...?

Stan85
13-6-09, 22:23
I think the price for Johnson is high, but with the current market and the with him being young and English etc, it's just the way it is. If we pay 16m for Johnson and improves our right-side which I think he will then it will be worth it.

I think he is definitely better than Arbeloa going forward and that could be a way of turning 1 or 2 of them draws against "park the bus" teams into wins.

Personally I hope we sign him and soon before Man City get stuck in.

Graggster
13-6-09, 22:24
That was my earlier point about Kuyt covering him if he adopts a more wingback type attacking position...?

No doubt that his attacking side is his best side to his game at the moment so i expect thats why rafa wants him...

Mike90
13-6-09, 22:26
Graggy would you be willing to sacrifice Arbeloa to make this possible?

Graggster
13-6-09, 22:28
Graggy would you be willing to sacrifice Arbeloa to make this possible?

Defo..if its true madrid are offering 8mil then we should take it.. Dont get wrong i dont think arbeloa is a bad player but i think johnson can make us better and its all about improving and moving forward.

Goalrush09
9-11-09, 22:52
Beating 2 to 3 players at a time, winning the ball back, tackling, passing....immense.

Thought his crossing could have been a little better...at times he hit and hoped rather than any pinpoint accuracy but after an attacking display like that I'm left wondering if maybe it's not the craziest idea to play him on the wing.

But who do you play in behind him?

Degen?
Kelly?

Would it be worth giving him the freedom to focus on just attacking knowing that he had defensive cover behind him?

Thoughts???????

Kloppaberg
9-11-09, 22:54
I agree with you here. Perhaps Degen is too attack-minded to play RB but I'd consider Darby at RB. GJ is superb going forward plus he has the experience to help out an inexperienced defender like Darby

fernandothelegend
9-11-09, 22:56
He might not get the same time on the ball he gets at right back to run at defenders. Its an idea but i like him at right back.

tobitrice
9-11-09, 22:57
Im fine with him at right back. he was more space to run unto at RB. that said he would be a better option than kuyt for right midfield.

Lenny-and-Carl
9-11-09, 22:58
To me he suits playing RB with something like the old diamond formation in midfield.

caple
9-11-09, 23:00
Not for me.

We saw how great he can be when he has a winger in front of him moving defenders away to give him more space to run into. If you move him forward, there's no one to do that.

dreams-come-true
9-11-09, 23:00
Most times when he got the ball .... I felt he was our danger man .... the one who was going to open up the opposition. Great to see him playing for us!

Goalrush09
9-11-09, 23:01
He might not get the same time on the ball he gets at right back to run at defenders. Its an idea but i like him at right back.

Fernando...look at all the time and space Kuyt had to run at people and take them on but it's about skill on the ball.

Johnson has it....Kuyt ...mmmm..not so much.

I hate moaning about any of our players and Kuyt has been good and wants to do well but sometimes he just doesn't have it and we've seen a lot of those times this season.

He needs a rest and Rafa needs to see that soon...but even if we didn't have anyone injured Kuyt plays. I don't to single him out...it's more about Johnson being more productive in that position.

KanyeWest
9-11-09, 23:03
Nah! Johnson does better coming from deep, it gives the team an extra 'dimension'. Playing him right wing would limit our attacking threat.

SerRenely
9-11-09, 23:03
I thought he was great up front tonight, but the question I ask is how would he do not running into the play as backs always do.

I think his vision on when to join in is an underrated strong point in his game.

Still thought him at wing and Kelly at back might work...

caple
9-11-09, 23:04
Fernando...look at all the time and space Kuyt had to run at people and take them on but it's about skill on the ball.

I hate moaning about any of our players and Kuyt has been good and wants to do well but sometimes he just doesn't have it and we've seen a lot of those times this season.

He needs a rest and Rafa needs to see that soon...but even if we didn't have anyone injured Kuyt plays. I don't to single him out...it's more about Johnson being more productive in that position.

Kuyt only got any space once Birmingham were all pinned into their area. They went very narrow which left space.

Johnson needs a winger like Benayoun, or for a brief period Riera, to pull players away to give him space to attack the flank.

Ness23
9-11-09, 23:05
Johnson at Right Wing and Kuyt at Right Back where he belongs with the other defenders

caple
9-11-09, 23:10
Johnson at Right Wing and Kuyt at Right Back where he belongs with the other defenders

I'm really hoping that that isn't a serious suggestion.

AdY
9-11-09, 23:13
I'm really hoping that that isn't a serious suggestion.

It's not but he isn't far right at the moment, our right full-back is better going forward than our right winger and our right winger is better at defending than our right full-back :D

4thofficial
i,ve been thinkin that for a while now. great thinkin op. johnson would be much more effective on the right and kelly or degan behind

Mike90
Kuyt only got any space once Birmingham were all pinned into their area. They went very narrow which left space.

Johnson needs a winger like Benayoun, or for a brief period Riera, to pull players away to give him space to attack the flank.

Benayoun isn't a winger(at least not in the typical sense)who'll stick to the byline and put crosses in though, he's an attacking midfirlder who drifts inside and out to find space and pick his eye of a needle passes.

fernandothelegend
9-11-09, 23:17

Yes later on but unfortunately johnson looked quite tired in the last 15. He does really well with benayoun or even babel but at the moment he will continue behind kuyt with our injuries.

caple
9-11-09, 23:17
Benayoun isn't a winger(at least not in the typical sense)who'll stick to the byline and put crosses in though, he's an attacking midfirlder who drifts inside and out to find space and pick his eye of a needle passes.

Sorry, poor choice of words. I meant a player in front of him that will, as you say, cut inside and thus take a central player with him. This leaves space for Johnson to run into to.

Benayoun and Riera did this brilliantly.

jamiechloe
10-11-09, 07:46
I keep banging this drum because i think this is whats needed, If we play Jonno furthur up the field I beleive we will have the needed creativity up the pitch plus we have a bloke who can defend and help out the RB. At the moment we have Dirk who is very willing and works his b's off but he very rarely goes past players..whereas glen can

myhomeisskrtbysea
10-11-09, 08:02
I don't know that it would change too much because even from right back, Johnson is always the one getting forward and weaving into the box, putting in the crosses anyway.

jamiechloe
10-11-09, 08:11
I don't know that it would change too much because even from right back, Johnson is always the one getting forward and weaving into the box, putting in the crosses anyway.

Yes but it would stop us leaving great big holes when he bombs on..or stop rafa nullifying him going forward when we play better opposition

charlesbukowski
10-11-09, 08:24
I'd like to see this on various occassions but mainly just because I think we have a real gem in Martin Kelly. This shouldn't be a long term solution tho as Glen Johnson may be class going forward in terms of beating his man and putting crosses in but I don't think he will offer the creativity nor the goal threat a right midfielder playing for Liverpool FC should do.

Another question: It may be a little harsh as he did really well last season but do you think Dirk Kuyt would be pleased with a role where he would get just the odd game as a super sub?

jamiechloe
10-11-09, 08:47
I'd like to see this on various occassions but mainly just because I think we have a real gem in Martin Kelly. This shouldn't be a long term solution tho as Glen Johnson may be class going forward in terms of beating his man and putting crosses in but I don't think he will offer the creativity nor the goal threat a right midfielder playing for Liverpool FC should do.

Another question: It may be a little harsh as he did really well last season but do you think Dirk Kuyt would be pleased with a role where he would get just the odd game as a super sub?

Creativity? he's one of our moast creative players at the mo

I think its time to put dirk back up top with fernando on occasions

Eloader
10-11-09, 09:30
I'm willing to try anything atm.

And good shout for Kelly at RB, I've been thinking he's ready for the bigger for quite a while now.

GoatApocalypse
10-11-09, 09:34
Kelly behind Johnson is a terrible idea.

A modern attacking full-back is at his best when getting ahead of play - adding an extra something to the attack from deep. If you stick Johnson in right midfield, then Kelly or Degen won't ever be able to get beyond him because Johnson will be picking the ball up and running with it. So then Kelly will just be defending and Johnson, like the second half last night, will pick the ball up much higher and struggle to get in behind full-backs because of it.

beanred
10-11-09, 13:20
Kelly behind Johnson is a terrible idea.

A modern attacking full-back is at his best when getting ahead of play - adding an extra something to the attack from deep. If you stick Johnson in right midfield, then Kelly or Degen won't ever be able to get beyond him because Johnson will be picking the ball up and running with it. So then Kelly will just be defending and Johnson, like the second half last night, will pick the ball up much higher and struggle to get in behind full-backs because of it.

yeah but atleast it won't leave a gapping hole in defense, id rather be secure at the back and not let dodgy goals in also it would be good for degen and kelly to battle it out to win the place of rb coz with johnson our first choice rb they will have no chance also think that kelly is ready and is a better defender than johnson and he is homegrown. I think johnson would bring lots more attacking balls and goals from rw, without him worrying about the hole in defense. i think its a good idea. Think rafa thought that when he bought him

RedGlosTaffy
10-11-09, 13:21
More dangerous as an attacking full back, harder to pick and will get more space. He just needs someone half competent in front of him. I've got a right downer on Kuyt at the minute. Sick of defending his garbage performances this season.

misterbigstuff
10-11-09, 13:25
I keep banging this drum because i think this is whats needed, If we play Jonno furthur up the field I beleive we will have the needed creativity up the pitch plus we have a bloke who can defend and help out the RB. At the moment we have Dirk who is very willing and works his b's off but he very rarely goes past players..whereas glen can

Glen Johnson is fast, very fast in fact..and that's why he goes past defenders so often. The problem is not that we need to move GJ to RM; but that we need a RM player who has similar pace and attacking ability.

In conclusion - Kuyt works very hard for the team; but he lacks pace; so we need to buy someone with pace. i.e. Valencia (would have been good)

misterbigstuff
10-11-09, 13:31
Glen Johnson is fast, very fast in fact..and that's why he goes past defenders so often. The problem is not that we need to move GJ to RM; but that we need a RM player who has similar pace and attacking ability.

In conclusion - Kuyt works very hard for the team; but he lacks pace; so we need to buy someone with pace. i.e. Valencia (would have been good)

I will add that one of our main problems is a general lack of pace and attacking ability. Riera has some pace, but not a lot actually; he also lacks what Rafa refers to as "game intelligence".

That's why we need Juan Mata.

The main reason Voronin is awful in the Prem, but not so in the Bundesliga is again down to pace; of which Andrei has very little.

Pace is now a crucial (if not minimum) requirement for attacking players; either midfielders, wingers or forwards. Football in the Premiership is faster than in any other league in the world.

Carragher said something similar last season

WY4EVER
10-11-09, 13:33
That's not Johnson's fault. By nature, a good full back will get forward and take out players and wing one in. It's up to the ptoecting players like Mascherano and Lucas to cover the gap that's made by the full back going forward.

scousertommy-86
10-11-09, 13:49
I disagree.

We always have a holding midfield player covering when he bombs on to cover.

Johnno and Dirk could form an excellent partnership, playing little 1-2's to get to the byline and get some quality in the box.

GoatApocalypse
10-11-09, 15:09
Think rafa thought that when he bought him

I seriously doubt that, given his love for Kuyt. On paper, it's an excellent balance - Mascherano to cover the gap or Kuyt to drop back when Johnson overlaps.

Just sticking Johnson on the right flank with another defender behind him won't change anything, in my opinion.

jamiechloe
10-11-09, 16:22
I seriously doubt that, given his love for Kuyt. On paper, it's an excellent balance - Mascherano to cover the gap or Kuyt to drop back when Johnson overlaps.

Just sticking Johnson on the right flank with another defender behind him won't change anything, in my opinion.

Why wont it? I dont understand this theory that if you had him as RM then Kelly cant bomb on, they would work it out

Graggster
10-11-09, 21:36
He could certainly do it... reminds abit of Kanchelkis when hes in the mood.

Yet keep him at RB and look to get new right sided player if Kuyt is not up to the job.

sizlack
11-11-09, 15:29
been saying this since game 2 of this season. hes wasted at right back. he is litrelly leagues ahead of kuyt. give kelly a go or darby. one way or another we need kuyt on the bench

-Deano-
11-11-09, 15:37
Glen Johnson is not a right winger, changing his position changes his game simple as that

fernandothelegend
11-11-09, 15:39
been saying this since game 2 of this season. hes wasted at right back. he is litrelly leagues ahead of kuyt. give kelly a go or darby. one way or another we need kuyt on the bench

Darby and kelly playing right back is a big risk. Johnson is better at right back more space to run in and take players on. I agree that right now dirk kuyt is in very bad form and in an ideal world benny and riera would play wide but they are injured so we have to support dirk and hope he gets his form of last season that made him so important to our good form last season.

sizlack
11-11-09, 15:40
Darby and kelly playing right back is a big risk. Johnson is better at right back more space to run in and take players on. I agree that right now dirk kuyt is in very bad form and in an ideal world benny and riera would play wide but they are injured so we have to support dirk and hope he gets his form of last season that made him so important to our good form last season.

im not supporting a player who is not top ten standard

Hansenisagod
11-11-09, 15:45

Kuyt may be having a poor run of form but he is top ten standard and will get over it.

You should support any player when they are on the pitch for Liverpool, that is what supporting your team is about, not picking and choosing.

-Deano-
11-11-09, 15:46
Kuyt may be having a poor run of form but he is top ten standard and will get over it.

You should support any player when they are on the pitch for Liverpool, that is what supporting your team is about, not picking and choosing.

:scarf:scarf:scarf:scarf:scarf

slimman
11-11-09, 15:48
No -- for me he's fine at RB

sizlack
11-11-09, 15:49

i disagree. would you support ade akinbeye if he came to our club despite not being good enough!? or a non league player rafa suddenly started up front for example. what you are suggesting is blind faith

fernandothelegend
11-11-09, 15:50

If he is a liverpool player you should support him. He is a liverpool standard player. His work-rate is briliant he is a great character in the dressing rooms. Good crosser and scores goals. He is off form but i would still rather have kuyt over valencia or nani.

sizlack
11-11-09, 15:52
If he is a liverpool player you should support him. He is a liverpool standard player. His work-rate is briliant he is a great character in the dressing rooms. Good crosser and scores goals. He is off form but i would still rather have kuyt over valencia or nani.

over valencia or nani? no chance. they arent great but they are footballers not long distance runners like kuyt

-Deano-
11-11-09, 15:54
i disagree. would you support ade akinbeye if he came to our club despite not being good enough!? or a non league player rafa suddenly started up front for example. what you are suggesting is blind faith

Be realistic do you really think rafa would buy non league and stick 'em straight into the first team i know the guys had a lot of stick over transfers but lets not jump on the band wagon and start writing bull.
If you really are a liverpool supporter then do just that.

fernandothelegend
over valencia or nani? no chance. they arent great but they are footballers not long distance runners like kuyt

Both also don't have the number of goals and assists dirk has this season even with him well below par.

KeemI
This is like converting Alves,Maicon,Ramos,Cafu,Lizarazu,Carlos,Cole,Evra etc to wingers...It would fail...They are more accustomed to coming from deep and patrolling the whole wing...

lfc-davy
11-11-09, 17:08
anything is better then that dope kuyt

Snippes
11-11-09, 17:26
Beating 2 to 3 players at a time, winning the ball back, tackling, passing....immense.

Thought his crossing could have been a little better...at times he hit and hoped rather than any pinpoint accuracy but after an attacking display like that I'm left wondering if maybe it's not the craziest idea to play him on the wing.

But who do you play in behind him?

Degen?
Kelly?

Would it be worth giving him the freedom to focus on just attacking knowing that he had defensive cover behind him?

Thoughts???????

No.

He is a RB for a reason....he is best attacking from deeper and you would lose some of his effectiveness if you locked him down to the RW where a FB would be assigned to stick like glue to his hip pocket. Its the same with Danny Alves, Maicon, all these great attacking RBs. There is a very good reason why they are not asked to play RW even though they are such superior players coming forward.

nuggs
11-11-09, 17:37
This is like converting Alves,Maicon,Ramos,Cafu,Lizarazu,Carlos,Cole,Evra etc to wingers...It would fail...They are more accustomed to coming from deep and patrolling the whole wing...

No.

He is a RB for a reason....he is best attacking from deeper and you would lose some of his effectiveness if you locked him down to the RW where a FB would be assigned to stick like glue to his hip pocket. Its the same with Danny Alves, Maicon, all these great attacking RBs. There is a very good reason why they are not asked to play RW even though they are such superior players coming forward.

indeedy

leave Johnson where he is and find a better option than Kuyt at RM

Speshhh
12-11-09, 22:46
What a fantastic player this lad is. For me, in a number of very good performances on Monday night, he was absolutely outstanding. For a first season in a red shirt, in a struggling team, he has been sensational.

I do think he's a good defender but going forward he's the best winger we've had since Barnes (always thought Macca was an attacking midfielder). He's got the same quality as Digger.........he knows what he's going to do, the defender knows what he's going to do.......but he still does it anyway because he's so fast, strong and skilful.

With our forward injury crisis I think we should consider moving the lad up on the right, with Carra behind him as right back, and just let him attack.

Kuyt can move up alongside Ngog or, perhaps better still, drop him and let him practice until he rediscovers how to control a ball and find a team-mate. Gerrard can play up front with Ngog anyway.

Paullfc1976
12-11-09, 22:48
You do realise this has been done to death this discussion and it is a big fat no for me.

fernandothelegend
12-11-09, 22:49
Carra won't play right back for the rest of the season. Prefer him at right back with benny ahead of him.

Speshhh
12-11-09, 22:50
No I didn't..........don't get on that often, can't take the abuse. :rolleyes:

M-I-G-H-T-Y-REDS
12-11-09, 22:53
I completely agree, have been thinking the same thing for a while now...it's pretty obvious playing him at right-back has been 'a' factor in us conceeding goals... and once you start conceeding the confidence of defenders drops slightly...

However, I think the fact that he overlaps kuyt gives him the ops he's een getting....i.e - running at left backs, my only concern in playing him at right mid is that he may not get the same space going forward....if you get me

:scarf

Speshhh
12-11-09, 22:56
I completely agree, have been thinking the same thing for a while now...it's pretty obvious playing him at right-back has been 'a' factor in us conceeding goals... and once you start conceeding the confidence of defenders drops slightly...

However, I think the fact that he overlaps kuyt gives him the ops he's een getting....i.e - running at left backs, my only concern in playing him at right mid is that he may not get the same space going forward....if you get me

Good point. Yes I do and it's a risk but it feels like a risk worth taking given our injury concerns. It's not like Rafa hasn't played others out of position.

gedzredz
12-11-09, 22:57
He was sensational on Monday night, if we're going to persist in playing someone as slow Dirk on the right we need a defender who can take on players, and Glen is that player.
I was sceptical given the price tag but I think he'll turn out to be a bargain.

Benny-Noons-Ghost
12-11-09, 22:59

He's probably been our best defender defensively this season though.

I say keep him at right back - you hint at the problem if we play him as a winger - he won't get the space he does from our current winger cutting inside.

Plus, Carra at right back is a massive NO for me.

stevieNnandoNpepe
12-11-09, 23:01
NO!:)
On that note, Good Night all!:)

TheVulture
13-11-09, 01:15
What a fantastic player this lad is. For me, in a number of very good performances on Monday night, he was absolutely outstanding. For a first season in a red shirt, in a struggling team, he has been sensational.

I do think he's a good defender but going forward he's the best winger we've had since Barnes (always thought Macca was an attacking midfielder). He's got the same quality as Digger.........he knows what he's going to do, the defender knows what he's going to do.......but he still does it anyway because he's so fast, strong and skilful.

With our forward injury crisis I think we should consider moving the lad up on the right, with Carra behind him as right back, and just let him attack.

Kuyt can move up alongside Ngog or, perhaps better still, drop him and let him practice until he rediscovers how to control a ball and find a team-mate. Gerrard can play up front with Ngog anyway.

Spot on. Couldnt agree more.

RyanBabylon
13-11-09, 02:06
IF, and this is a big if, martin kelly is able to prove a defensively stable right-back and an effective (enough) attacking threat as a right back, this would be a viable option. Until then, I'd say no.

elasticman
13-11-09, 16:19
IF, and this is a big if, martin kelly is able to prove a defensively stable right-back and an effective (enough) attacking threat as a right back, this would be a viable option. Until then, I'd say no.

yup kelly or degen right back lets have a proper footballer on the right side of midfield.

GoatApocalypse
13-11-09, 16:21
I'd love this to be the last time I say this, but there's no chance, is there?

For Johnson to be as effective as he is, he needs to overlap. How is he going to overlap if he's already starting high up the pitch?

Paullfc1976
13-11-09, 16:27
I'd love this to be the last time I say this, but there's no chance, is there?

For Johnson to be as effective as he is, he needs to overlap. How is he going to overlap if he's already starting high up the pitch?

Is right.

People don't realise this and think "ooo play Johnson on the RW", it's never going to happen, just like Maicon and Alves don't play RW, both play overlapping RBs for their respective clubs and very effectively.

Speshhh
13-11-09, 19:45
I'd definitely be up for it whilst we've got a lack of width and flair going forward. I'd be happy enough with Carra at right back leaving Johnno to focus on all out attack.

NewtonsAppo
13-11-09, 19:58
How about Gerrard on the right with Johnson overlapping and aqua/yossi/babel/kuyt in the "hole"?

jimthekopite
28-11-09, 10:39
I have given this a lot of thought and have come to the conclusion that Glen Johnson should be given the right midfield slot once Martin Kelly is back from injury. I think a right side of kelly and Johnson would be formidable ! This combination has everything ! Speed, skill, workrate and extra height for set pieces. This in turn would allow Dirk Kuyt to either be rested while he tries to rediscover some form, or alternatively to play as a striker, which to be fair is the original position he was bought for - and paid a large sum of money !! Any thoughts ?

PeaTearGryphon
28-11-09, 10:44
Just get Benayoun there with Johnson. That would be better

Diggersleftfoot
28-11-09, 10:44
I totally agree with you. Was just wondering this morning what is happening with Kelly, is he still injured ? I thought he was our best player against Lyon at home. At the minute Kuyt is terrible and simply has to be dropped. Kelly at right-full and Johnson pushed further up the right wing sounds good to me(Never gonna happen though).

Eggz
28-11-09, 10:47
If i had 18 mill to spend on a Winger - my choice would not be Johnson

Sneets
28-11-09, 10:50
I have given this a lot of thought and have come to the conclusion that Glen Johnson should be given the right midfield slot once Martin Kelly is back from injury. I think a right side of kelly and Johnson would be formidable ! This combination has everything ! Speed, skill, workrate and extra height for set pieces. This in turn would allow Dirk Kuyt to either be rested while he tries to rediscover some form, or alternatively to play as a striker, which to be fair is the original position he was bought for - and paid a large sum of money !! Any thoughts ?

Agree completely. That performance by Kelly against Lyon was exceptional for a first game. We would then have two extremely dangerous crossers of the ball on the right and both with physical presence.

Diggersleftfoot
28-11-09, 10:57
If i had 18 mill to spend on a Winger - my choice would not be Johnson

Nor mine either, but if it was your choice would you have signed Dirk Kuyt as a right winger ?

Eggz
28-11-09, 11:02
Nor mine either, but if it was your choice would you have signed Dirk Kuyt as a right winger ?

No and this i have issue with people over Rafa

Diggersleftfoot
28-11-09, 11:04
No and this i have issue with people over Rafa

Me too, I just think Johnson would be a better option there at the minute as every time one of our moves reaches Kuyt it breaks down. We definitely need to try something different to freshen it up as our season has gone completely stale and I really can't see us getting more than a point tomorrow.

PeaTearGryphon
28-11-09, 11:04

Did we sign him as a winger?

caple
28-11-09, 11:05
Would we not be back in the position of before we signed Johnson?

We would need an attacking full back, but now we wouldn't have one again.

Diggersleftfoot
28-11-09, 11:07
Did we sign him as a winger?

No, thats my point.

jambags
28-11-09, 11:08
thingis, we have spent the last few years searching for a right back who can attack, then when we find one, we wanna stick him right mid!

kuyt certainly isnt the answer on the right, but neither is johnson!

BUT, kuyt will work well with johnson, as they have shown whenever they have played this season, because kuyt allows johnson to overlap, creating an extra man, but kuyt can also cover for him, something a natural winger may not do!

Diggersleftfoot
28-11-09, 11:09

Kelly put more good crosses into the box against Lyon than Kuyt has done all season, I thought he did really well going forward.

Sneets
28-11-09, 11:10

We would have an attacking winger and still have a full back that can cross the ball.

PeaTearGryphon
28-11-09, 11:12
No, thats my point.

D'oh! Missed it. :D

I agree with your sentiments that Kuyt needs to be dropped. He's been abysmal this season

caple
28-11-09, 11:14
We would have an attacking winger and still have a full back that can cross the ball.

What full back? Kelly?

And Johnson isn't a winger, he's a full back. The reason he can make the runs into space that he does, is because the player in front of him usually comes out of it and drags a defender with him.

Diggersleftfoot
28-11-09, 11:16
D'oh! Missed it. :D

I agree with your sentiments that Kuyt needs to be dropped. He's been abysmal this season

No probs, I know its not ideal playing a right back on the right wing but Dani Alves can pull it off for Barca and I think Johnson is every bit as good. It drives me crazy at the minute to see Kuyt starting every game given his current form.

Mike-91
28-11-09, 11:16
Kellys a talent I know he plays CB too but he's better at RB it's a good idea but johnson really is a RB .

But how does kelly get into the team ahead of him he did cost 18m?

Diggersleftfoot
28-11-09, 11:19
Kellys a talent I know he plays CB too but he's better at RB it's a good idea but johnson really is a RB .

But how does kelly get into the team ahead of him he did cost 18m?

He won't be in ahead of him, they will both be playing, Kuyt will be dropped. Johnson may really be a RB but Kuyt really is a striker (poor one at that).

Sneets
28-11-09, 11:24
What full back? Kelly?

And Johnson isn't a winger, he's a full back. The reason he can make the runs into space that he does, is because the player in front of him usually comes out of it and drags a defender with him.

Johnson played right midfield for Portsmouth last year and was outstanding, he can beat a man, Kuyt cannot. Yes Kelly at right back, the bloke who put two stunning crosses into the box against Lyon and looked as if he was a seasoned professional in his first game at senior level and was voted man of the match.

jambags
28-11-09, 11:24
What full back? Kelly?

i agree totally, johnson would be less effective at right wing, and then we would need a right back, for when kelly has a bad game and people on here slate rafa for playing a rookie!!!

like the people crying out for spearing, then slating rafa because the lad didnt shine!!!

PeaTearGryphon
28-11-09, 11:25
The best option is to have Benayoun fit, and have him playing ahead of Johnson. That would be lethal

Eggz
28-11-09, 11:29
Johnson played right midfield for Portsmouth last year and was outstanding, he can beat a man, Kuyt cannot. Yes Kelly at right back, the bloke who put two stunning crosses into the box against Lyon and looked as if he was a seasoned professional in his first game at senior level and was voted man of the match.

I thought Pompey played 3 at the back and Johnson was an attackin full back/wing back

caple
28-11-09, 11:32

I wasn't aware Johnson played Right mid for Pompey last year. However I don't see how he could be effective when he doesn't have so much space to run into.

And Kelly played well once. That doesn't mean he should be our right back from now on.

HicksJnr
28-11-09, 11:32
4-1-3-1-1

Reina

Kelly
Carragher
Agger
Aurelio

Mascherano

Johnson
Aquilani
Benayoun

Gerrard

Torres

Subs - Cavalieri, Skrtel, Insua, Lucas, Riera, Kuyt, Ngog

caple
28-11-09, 11:33
The best option is to have Benayoun fit, and have him playing ahead of Johnson. That would be lethal

That's the one.

Benayoun likes to cut inside, Johnson likes to hit the byline. They compliment each other very well.

Diggersleftfoot
28-11-09, 11:35
And Kelly played well once. That doesn't mean he should be our right back from now on.

Isn't it worth a gamble given how terrible Kuyt is playing at the minute, we have to try soemthing to stop this awful run.

Paullfc1976
28-11-09, 11:36
That's the one.

Benayoun likes to cut inside, Johnson likes to hit the byline. They compliment each other very well.

Yup.

Johnson is your typical modern day Fullback, like Maicon, like Alves, he is better suited as an attacking RB and NOT a winger, we have discussed this before and reason for him to not play as a winger have been given.

Diggersleftfoot
28-11-09, 11:36
That's the one.

Yes, this also a much better option than Kuyt, would like to see this.

Eggz
28-11-09, 11:37
Isn't it worth a gamble given how terrible Kuyt is playing at the minute, we have to try soemthing to stop this awful run.

I dont think rafa likes playing full backs on the wing ;)

Diggersleftfoot
28-11-09, 11:38
I dont think rafa likes playing full backs on the wing ;)

Thats rite forgot about that, back to the drawing board then LOL

Yehez
28-11-09, 11:40
If we put Johnson on the right, we will have less attacking impetus on the right. Kelly/Degen are lesser players than Johnson, and Kelly is not that attacking either. so we would have Johnson alone.

Eggz
28-11-09, 11:42
It also makes me laugh that people are already giving Kelly as a defo starter

! game dont mean jack, give the lad time and he will be perfect sub for Johnson

Paullfc1976
28-11-09, 11:44
If we put Johnson on the right, we will have less attacking impetus on the right. Kelly/Degen are lesser players than Johnson, and Kelly is not that attacking either. so we would have Johnson alone.

this

It also makes me laugh that people are already giving Kelly as a defo starter

! game dont mean jack, give the lad time and he will be perfect sub for Johnson

and also this

nuggs
28-11-09, 11:54
I'll just add my vote for the please stick Yossi on the right with Johnson campaign.

Oh and give aquilani some pitch time please.

jimthekopite
28-11-09, 12:07

The other reasoning I have for this idea is the flexibility it would give the side. Bearing in mind that Kelly can play full back or centre back, this would mean we can swap between 4-4-1-1 to 3-5-1-1 when circumstances dictate.

4-4-1-1

Reina

Kelly Carragher Agger Aurelio

Johnson Mascherano Aqualani Benayoun

Gerrard

Torres

3-5-1-1

Reina

Kelly Carragher Agger

Johnson Mascherano Gerrard Aqualani Aurelio

Benayoun

Torres

Anyone like the look of these line-ups and the flexibilty they allow us ?

Paullfc1976
28-11-09, 12:09
The other reasoning I have for this idea is the flexibility it would give the side. Bearing in mind that Kelly can play full back or centre back, this would mean we can swap between 4-4-1-1 to 3-5-1-1 when circumstances dictate.

4-4-1-1

Reina

Kelly Carragher Agger Aurelio

Johnson Mascherano Aqualani Benayoun

Gerrard

Torres

3-5-1-1

Reina

Kelly Carragher Agger

Johnson Mascherano Gerrard Aqualani Aurelio

Benayoun

Torres

Anyone like the look of these line-ups and the flexibilty they allow us ?

Not with you on this one sorry dude.

PerpetuallyInjured
13-8-10, 23:31
Why?

I think Kelly is ready for first team football and can be trusted at RB - he's versatile, fast, strong and intelligent.

We should play Glen on our right-wing. I know it's been discussed before but I genuinely think that he can give us more on the wing than Maxi, Babel or Kuyt can.

Babel

Babel is too inconsistent and lacks game intelligence. He's fast but he has no end product. Babel is better as an impact sub due to his pace and he has a pretty good shot.

Johnson isn't as quick as Babel, but that's not something to be ashamed of. Johnson is no slouch himself though. He has a good shot, two good feet, and a very good cross. He also links up with our midfielders well. Johnson has more end-product than Babel.

Maxi

He's our only genuine out-and-out winger, and he did well last season with a number of good performances, a goal and a few assists. But he's a bit lacking in pace. However he's not a bad passer of the ball and gets into decent positions. He has a good understanding with Torres too which has been evident imo, this has probably developed due to their time together at Atletico.

However, I observed in pre-season that Jovanovic (who I believe will be a certain starter on our LW) likes to switch wings. Jova cuts in from the right-wing to shoot on his left-foot or pass to the midfielders. Babel cuts in but has no end-product, Yossi used to cut in and he proved that it can be pretty successful. If Maxi was playing that'll mean he'd have to, at times, play on the left. I am not a fan of him playing on the left-wing. He lacks trickery and can't really get past people.

Johnson however often cuts in from the right-wing and either shoots or plays through-balls. On a number of occasions Johnson has cut in and has dribbled with his left-foot and shot with his left. He definitely has a good left-foot (remember goal of the season 2008/09).

A perfect example of him cutting in and shooting on his left-foot is his goal for England in the friendlies before the WC; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj5gEdgUrtQ&feature=fvw (see 3:21 into the video).

Therefore taking into account that Johnson has a pretty sweet left-foot, trickery, pace and good passing, him switching sides with Jovanovic wouldn't be a bad idea. He'll certainly do better on the left than Babel and Maxi.

Kuyt

Dirk is a useful player, he gets goals, but he is not a winger. He is a forward, a goal-poacher. He has no pace whatsoever, he isn't very technical and he doesn't have a particularly good strike on him. However he has a good cross, decent link up play and is great at tracking back and working hard for the team. However I'm sure that Johnson would track back, him being a natural RB and all, and help out.

Facts

- In 35 appearances last season (all competitions), Johnson claimed 3 goals and 5 assists for us from right-back. But if he was to play in a more advanced position, I'm sure he'll get at least 7 goals and possibly in excess of 10 assists too (in all comps).

- From a more advanced position, in 17 apps, Maxi claimed 1 goal and 3 assists. However to his defense it was his first (half) season in the Premier League.

- Babel, in all comps played 38 games and claimed 6 goals 2 assists. However he played as a striker in some of those games (e.g. his goal vs. Burnley away). Also one of his goals was a total fluke (Riera's shot rebounding off of him).

- Kuyt (11 goals 5 assists) claimed quite a few goals as striker (e.g. his brace vs. Spurs) so we can't really compare him to Johnson.

But what I'm trying to get at here is that if Johnson was played on the wing, he'd get into more attacking positions than normal and put in more crosses/through-balls and have more shots (than the other contenders because hes a better, more versatile player) and therefore getting more goals and assists. Moreover, it gives Kelly a chance to develop into the class player we all know he will become.

Moreover, it'll mean that 5 of our starting XI are English, which would be quite refreshing for English football if you know what I mean.

I know that this whole post is a bit long, and you've heard it all before, and I'm clutching at straws a bit, but I think that if we play with the following formation, then we could really do well this season (at least top 4).

Formation:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Reina -
Kelly - - - - - Carragher - - - - - - Agger - - - Aurelio -

- - - - - - - - - - Gerrard - - - - - Lucas -
Johnson - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Jova. -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - J.Cole -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Torres -

Cavalieri, Skrtel, Poulsen, Aquilani, Maxi, Babel/Pacheco, Ngog/Kuyt/New striker..

I repeat, Johnson will be good for at least 7 goals and at least 10 assists in all comps providing he stays fit.

Bewdleyfan
13-8-10, 23:33
Nah mate. What makes Johnson so dangerous is his ability to attack from the back four, he is a top class right back but if moved on the wing I am pretty sure he would be an average wide man.

stano123
13-8-10, 23:35
Id like to see if he can do it because he is an average defender but great going forward, but not sure if he could actually do the winger role.

PerpetuallyInjured
13-8-10, 23:36
Id like to see if he can do it because he is an average defender but great going forward, but not sure if he could actually do the winger role.

Precisely. I forgot to mention in my post that he's a bit suspect at defending. His positioning isn't great at all.

Carlton Facepalmer
13-8-10, 23:38
He may be ready to pilot a nice Audi A5, but he ain't ready for PL left wingers, he body checks enough during friendlies and ressies!!!

Really hope the lad gets a call soon though, he still lives 200 yards from me! :scarf

EskilJehn
13-8-10, 23:40
I'm sure Johnson would perform better than most on the right wing, but we haven't seen near enough of Kelly yet. And when you have the best right back in the league, you don't play him out of position.

Bewdleyfan
13-8-10, 23:41
I'm sure Johnson would perform better than most on the right wing, but we haven't seen near enough of Kelly yet. And when you have the best right back in the league, you don't play him out of position.

Exactly!

stano123
13-8-10, 23:43
Precisely. I forgot to mention in my post that he's a bit suspect at defending. His positioning isn't great at all.

many people say he is good, but ive seen on too many occasions he allows the ball to be crossed in, thats basic defending IMO, and as you said his positional problems cause others to come out place.

There is a case that players who have to drive forward will always have this problem, but i don't see a confident defender at all, a see a player unsure of his role, and scared to pass in his own half, the amount of balls played back to the keeper show this.

Top right backs defend first and their attacking prowess is an advantage, it appears to me anyway that this is opposite with GJ.

Carlton Facepalmer
13-8-10, 23:44
many people say he is good, but ive seen on too many occasions he allows the ball to be crossed in, thats basic defending IMO, and as you said his positional problems cause others to come out place.

There is a case that players who have to drive forward will always have this problem, but i don't see a confident defender at all, a see a player unsure of his role, and scared to pass in his own half.

Top right backs defend first and their attacking prowess is an advantage, it appears to me anyway that this is opposite with GJ.

This.

Bewdleyfan
13-8-10, 23:48

There is a case that players who have to drive forward will always have this problem, but i don't see a confident defender at all, a see a player unsure of his role, and scared to pass in his own half.

Exactly!

EskilJehn
14-8-10, 00:10

The only defender we have who is any good at stopping crosses coming in is Carragher. Johnson is no worse at that than our other defenders. But he has an edge when it comes to using his strength to push the opposition player off the ball and shield it.

I see more top right backs out there than not, who don't defend first - e.g. Alves, Ramos, Bosingwa, Sagna etc.

EskilJehn
14-8-10, 00:13
Bewdleyfan, what is your actual opinion on the matter? You replied with "Exactly!" to both me and Stano's posts, yet they are pretty much the opposite of each other.

stano123
14-8-10, 00:13
The only defender we have who is any good at stopping crosses coming in is Carragher. Johnson is no worse at that than our other defenders. But he has an edge when it comes to using his strength to push the opposition player off the ball and shield it.

I see more top right backs out there than not, who don't defend first - e.g. Alves, Ramos, Bosingwa, Sagna etc.

i class them in the same mold, great going forward but not great defenders, well especially alves, it can depend on the team you are in, if your successful in that role.

EskilJehn
14-8-10, 00:15
i class them in the same mold, great going forward but not great defenders, well especially alves, it can depend on the team you are in, if your successful in that role.
So you don't class any of them as top right backs?

stano123
14-8-10, 00:22
So you don't class any of them as top right backs?

yes, but not as great defends ie Alves.

If you put GJ in a weaker team, would he prove his worth as a defender or just for his attacking quality?

Mapeke
14-8-10, 00:35
No, Johnson is a right back.

He's effective because he makes runs from deep which makes him harder to pick up, which means when he gets the ball he has more space to run into and more time to decide what to do. He'd find it alot harder if he was the winger and was given the ball with a defender in front him that he'd be expected to beat every time.

Only in England would we take probably the 3rd best right back in the world, criticise their defensive abilities and suggest playing them on the wing.

EskilJehn
14-8-10, 00:38
yes, but not as great defends ie Alves.

If you put GJ in a weaker team, would he prove his worth as a defender or just for his attacking quality?
Ahah! A contradiction :D

His attacking qualities would stand out, as they did when he was at Portsmouth, and as they do here at Liverpool.

I'm not disagreeing with you about Johnson not defending first, because you're right, he doesn't do that. I'm disagreeing with you about him not being a top right back. He doesn't defend first, but I think he's good enough for the role he plays.

Besides we can't all have a Maicon or Lahm in our team (I'm secretly dreaming that the takeover goes through within days and we sign Lahm as our new left back)

Mapeke
14-8-10, 00:41
Johnson is no worse in regards to defensive work than Maicon or Alves, he just gets criticised more because he's English and not Brazilian.

stano123
14-8-10, 00:42
Ahah! A contradiction :D

His attacking qualities would stand out, as they did when he was at Portsmouth, and as they do here at Liverpool.

I'm not disagreeing with you about Johnson not defending first, because you're right, he doesn't do that. I'm disagreeing with you about him not being a top right back. He doesn't defend first, but I think he's good enough for the role he plays.

Besides we can't all have Maicon or Lahm in our team.

Chelsea got rid for a reason, and i understand that reason. catch ya later bud

:)

stano123
14-8-10, 00:43
Johnson is no worse in regards to defensive work than Maicon or Alves, he just gets criticised more because he's English and not Brazilian.

i agree, but i dont believe alves is a great defender either.

Mapeke
14-8-10, 00:44
If Johnson spent more time defending then he'd spent less time attacking and then he'd get criticised for the same reasons as Arbeloa. Sometimes you just can't please idiot fans.

EskilJehn
Chelsea got rid for a reason, and i understand that reason. catch ya later bud

:)
Good night Stan :p

stano123
If Johnson spent more time defending then he'd spent less time attacking and then he'd get criticised for the same reasons as Arbeloa. Sometimes you just can't please idiot fans.

see earlier post, its an opinion, dont be a ***** about it.

stano123
14-8-10, 00:45
Good night Stan :p

good night

Mapeke
14-8-10, 00:45
see earlier post, its an opinion, dont be a ***** about it.
Didn't name names, but if you think that you're an idiot that's fine.

Bewdleyfan
14-8-10, 00:46
Bewdleyfan, what is your actual opinion on the matter? You replied with "Exactly!" to both me and Stano's posts, yet they are pretty much the opposite of each other.

Ye sorry I was just being purposefully silly and hypocritical.

Basically I feel Johnson should stay at right back. I understand peoples qualms with his defensive capabilities, but the way he attacks from deep is a key asset and one I am sure he will utilise more in this coming season.
I would much rather have Kuyt/Maxi at right wing and Johnson at right back to Kelly at right back and Johnson at right midfield.

stano123
14-8-10, 00:50
Didn't name names, but if you think that you're an idiot that's fine.

I think he is a good player but not a great defender, is that hard to grasp.

Mapeke
14-8-10, 00:52

bell end.
Well, if Johnson isn't a great right back then there can't be many that are. I rate him as one of the best in the world.

-Gola-
14-8-10, 00:58

bell end.

tbh mate ive been saying that on here meself since before we signed him but people will only focus on the negative and say how much you hate a player

its like the other day i said given was overrated, i said he was a good goalie but not world class

many posted about how i thought he's poor, i never said such a thing but still thats how it works on here

Sunraged
14-8-10, 00:59
He always saw himself as a right winger, but was told he wasn't good enough.

His current position is perfect.

Mapeke
14-8-10, 01:05
tbh mate ive been saying that on here meself since before we signed him but people will only focus on the negative and say how much you hate a player

its like the other day i said given was overrated, i said he was a good goalie but not world class

many posted about how i thought he's poor, i never said such a thing but still thats how it works on here
That's because you are focusing on the negative. We have one of the best attacking fullbacks in the world and you talk about how he's not a great defender.

stano123
14-8-10, 01:54
Well, if Johnson isn't a great right back then there can't be many that are. I rate him as one of the best in the world.

I sorry, im wrong for saying that. I'm a **** and i apologise.

Defo-skitso
14-8-10, 01:56
He's better attacking from the back once the rm has moved inside to generate the space. As a rw, I think he wouldn't be as effective. We just need him to improve his defensive capabilities and awareness.

PerpetuallyInjured
14-8-10, 04:35
I agree that one of his strengths is attacking from deep and overlapping our winger and then putting in crosses. But I made this thread because I think that he's good at running at defenders, cutting in and putting in crosses, something that all good wingers can do.

I think we should at least give him a few games there. Not against the big teams but perhaps against mid-table teams such as Fulham, Bolton, Sunderland etc.

Goalrush09
14-8-10, 13:49
Simple answer and that's if Johnson keeps attacking then we won't have to worry about his defending!!

Seriously...I love him going forward as he's strong, tricky and can shoot with either foot and there's no doubt that he could play on the right side of midfield.

But he's a good defender (still needs to work on his positioning) and we need him to continue to play as RB until Kelly shows that he can consistently perform there (Kelly will have to show us this in cup runs etc)

Right now I'm happier with Johnson attacking from RB and linking with either Kuyt or Maxi and hopefully he'll have a strong season both attacking and defending.

Having said all that look at Bale playing left mid for Spurs today....WORLD CLASS and he's been mostly a full back in his career...maybe Johnson can be moved forward too..

Paullfc1976
14-8-10, 13:57
NO.

Gazza74
14-8-10, 13:58
I'd rather have him at right back as it makes us more attacking as a team, which is what we want.

Graggster
14-8-10, 14:44
Johnson is the best option we have anywhere on the right...

Said it many times.

Really dont mind seeing him RW or RB.

JoeFirth
14-8-10, 15:00
I think he'd be really good RW, I already made a topic about it myself.

Especially because he's awesome on each foot and its sort of doubling up defensively also on the right.

Bale played well today, and hes a LB playin LW. I think johnson is just as good as bale if not better.

festinho
14-8-10, 15:06
Ah those fashionable words: 'Game intelligence' :rolleyes:. Lazy journalism.:)

stano123
14-8-10, 15:31
We haven't really got any one better or with enough experience at the moment to play right back, so it wouldn't be too clever to put him on the wing, but i defiantly think he could do a great job their because his best attributes are when he is going forward.

MacadamiaNut
27-8-10, 00:09
Like the title suggests I think he would do very well on the wing (similar to what happen to Gareth Bale).

I don't think his defensive positioning is the best at time and I assume he would love to take on a more attacking responsibility and run at defenses for 90mins.

He is also one of the more creative players in the team.

I Would love to see his ponytail bouncing up and down as he gallops along the touchline.....

Obviously this change wouldn't occur immediately as we don't have the cover (although Kelly could play RB) - but over time during the course of the season.

would anybody agree? :)

-Monk-
27-8-10, 00:13
Like the title suggests I think he would do very well on the wing (similar to what happen to Gareth Bale).

I don't think his defensive positioning is the best at time and I assume he would love to take on a more attacking responsibility and run at defenses for 90mins.

He is also one of the more creative players in the team.

I Would love to see his ponytail bouncing up and down as he gallops along the touchline.....

Obviously this change wouldn't occur immediately as we don't have the cover (although Kelly could play RB) - but over time during the course of the season.

would anybody agree? :)

I LOVE your imaginative idea. Truly. It's like you read nearly everyone's mind.

But yeah, GJ for right wing :)

MacadamiaNut
27-8-10, 00:20
Haha yeah I actually only just thought of this morning......

-MabelMeister-
27-8-10, 00:22
Glen Johnson for rb.

Darrren1
27-8-10, 00:24
I'd stick him in the hole.

Ness23
27-8-10, 00:24
Bale was a winger before he went to Spurs, and Arry tried to play him left back because he couldnt settle at left wing. But being the good player he is he took his chance when asked to play on the wing again.

The Johnson situation is completely different, he's has not played right wing. But i do understand what you mean, trying him would do no harm. But to be honest i can never see anybody dislodging Kuyt from that position, because it looks as if most LFC fans think he's as good any of the top right wingers in Europe, because he of his "work rate" :rolleyes:

Jaylfc
27-8-10, 00:27
I have continually resisted this idea as I hate the way we have made do with forwards like Kuyt at right wing and other players being pushed out of position. However the more and more I watch Johnson struggle at the back and excel going forward I think it may be the way to go.

Darrren1
27-8-10, 00:28
Bale was a winger before he went to Spurs, and Arry tried to play him left back because he couldnt settle at left wing. But being the good player he is he took his chance when asked to play on the wing again.

The Johnson situation is completely different, he's has not played right wing. But i do understand what you mean, trying him would do no harm. But to be honest i can never see anybody dislodging Kuyt from that position, because it looks as if most LFC fans think he's as good any of the top right wingers in Europe, because he of his "work rate" :rolleyes:

He played a lot of his time at Portsmouth at right-wing.

-Monk-
27-8-10, 00:37

Thank you for proving that, I am sure to take your word. Plus your name is disgraceful.

jjcole07
27-8-10, 00:50
was it you asking aldo the question in lfc tv phone in thing....?

MaradonaTheGreatest
27-8-10, 00:52
Glen for right wing is the way to go. Has pace, skill and imagination. I think he would enjoy that role but most importantly it would ensure that a lot more balls would reach the box. Come on, Roy, get this done!

MaradonaTheGreatest
27-8-10, 00:55

Really?

MacadamiaNut
27-8-10, 01:03
was it you asking aldo the question in lfc tv phone in thing....?

no, I don't live in England

GordonBennett
27-8-10, 01:05

Enough about your sexual intentions ;)

44red
27-8-10, 01:35
as one of the original advocates of this GJ for RW idea, i am now getting tired of so many posters copping on to this concept:p although the naysayers would still stand their ground but i think the idea of johnson being moved up is one that wont go away until one manager tries it. just in the way agger was tried at LB (and hasnt been a great success) or riise at LW (did well enough there) or gerrard as a RW (resounding success).. you just never know with these things. but trying it or advocating for it shouldnt be met with demeaning or empty responses like ''johnson is a RB'' and ''is only effective from overlapping runs''.. when its clear he's one of the few players in our team who can beat opponents from a STANDING start, 2 or even 3 at a time

Luis07LP
27-8-10, 01:40
Thought he had a really good game tonight and if we played Kelly at RB and him on the wing I really think we could get some results.

Hobbes.
27-8-10, 01:43

If I remember correctly, he's played a variety of positions, even striker. May be confusing him for someone else though

Hobbes.
27-8-10, 01:44
Thought he had a really good game tonight and if we played Kelly at RB and him on the wing I really think we could get some results.

Not wanting to be pessimistic, but I can imagine quite a few goals creeping in behind that side...

-MabelMeister-
27-8-10, 01:49
Not wanting to be pessimistic, but I can imagine quite a few goals creeping in behind that side...

I can too.

And imagine the criticism Roy would get for playing Kelly there and Johnson out of position, should it fail.

slimman
27-8-10, 01:59
I think he's fine at right back.

PolarBearClub
27-8-10, 03:13
What's all this talk of putting Kelly in at RB.

Straight swap, Johnson to RW, Kuyt to RB

:D

MacadamiaNut
27-8-10, 05:34
What's all this talk of putting Kelly in at RB.

Straight swap, Johnson to RW, Kuyt to RB

:D

hahah yeah I thought of that :D

MacadamiaNut
27-8-10, 05:36

Is that because of Kelly? because Johnson will definitely track back

WineForMyMen
27-8-10, 08:12
can't we just have one semi-permanent thread for this one?

It crops up around every fortnight.

Like the threads on Babel ("now he's ready to shine")

chaz
27-8-10, 08:24

that's nice for you ;)

KOPGIRL1971
27-8-10, 08:33
I have continually resisted this idea as I hate the way we have made do with forwards like Kuyt at right wing and other players being pushed out of position. However the more and more I watch Johnson struggle at the back and excel going forward I think it may be the way to go.

I said ages ago you could swap johnson and kuyt around, as kuyt is a great defender

JoeFirth
27-8-10, 08:43
A commentator from last nights game made a good point of saying that if Glen was on the right wing, the oppositions fullback could track his run better and we woudlnt look as effective.

Though Gareth Bale has made the transition beautifully I may add.

If Kuyt was just a bit faster, it wouldnt be a problem for either of them to track back once they've overlapped.

I still think glen is defensively weak compared to his offensive skill.

Klopportunity
27-8-10, 08:47
A commentator from last nights game made a good point of saying that if Glen was on the right wing, the oppositions fullback could track his run better and we woudlnt look as effective.

If he couldn't beat a man, I might agree with you. But Glen is awesome at beating his man and going on runs that most RB's dream of.

I think it's worth a go.

sparkycufc
27-8-10, 09:20
I think the point behind the Johnson signing (and Dossena) was to have overlapping full backs and 'wingers' who liked to cut inside thus providing both width and bodies in the area. The two defensive midfielders were meant to cover the holes the full backs left.

It didn't work though.