PDA

View Full Version : young rather than silva?

kop96lfc
17-6-09, 19:35
Any one else doubtful about Silva as our big signing,would he be much better/differnt to Yossi.
The thing we've been missing is pace skill and dribbling in wide positions,a ronaldo type.
Babel never looks confident and end product is mostly poor,Reira provides more quality,but lacks pace.
Although I like silva,he plays more like Benayoun, Ashley Young is exactly what we need.
Whether he is avalible is up for debate,though linked to Spurs and said to want a move since Barry left.
Stick in a bid of 20 million,but with O'Neill hatred of us he'd want 100!
Seriously when Ronnie goes to live his dream expect Young to replace him.

Simo429
17-6-09, 19:37
young is very over rated

he did nothing during the second half of the season other than displaying a lack of intelligence at Old Trafford

kop96lfc
17-6-09, 19:47
young is very over rated

he did nothing during the second half of the season other than displaying a lack of intelligence at Old Trafford

With the rest of the villa squad after they crashed out of europe,and I think some bottled their 4th place.

Simo429
17-6-09, 19:48
With the rest of the villa squad after they crashed out of europe,and I think some bottled their 4th place.

players that are truly rated as good as young is by some should have stepped up and made the difference

tobitrice
17-6-09, 19:50
young is very over rated

You're a harsh critic. We need someone new on the left midfield, is there anyone that you think is good enough?

aldboy
17-6-09, 19:50

as stated earlier he is very very overated and goes to ground too easily for my liking so no thanks the overated irish manager can keep him

Carramac
17-6-09, 20:13
3 player of the month awards for last year + young player of the year

Aston Villa stats as follows

Played 93 Goals 17 Assists 30

How is he overated ... Cmon he's playing for a mediocre team too. And yes he's got room for improvement. But the many Silva lovers out there(yes that includes me :D) really need to compare where both players are plying their trade.

Simo429
17-6-09, 20:15

How is he overated ... Cmon he's playing for a mediocre team too. And yes he's got room for improvement. But the many Silva lovers out there(yes that includes me :D) really need to compare where both players are plying their trade.

second half of the season name me a match in which he shined?

he is overrated because some including his manager believe he will soon be as good as a certain mr messi

ReubenStuddard
17-6-09, 20:15

He's overrated because people judge him on stats rather than from what they see with their own eyes (I'm not talking about you).

He's a good player, but not as good as many seem to think. He would also be vastly overpriced, making him a risk we can't afford.

Carramac
17-6-09, 20:17
And Young can't be held at fault for having a lack lustre end to the season. O'neil made a huge ****** up in the Uefa back in Feb and I can't blame the players not being able to push on afterf an unforgivable mistake !

Simo429
17-6-09, 20:18
And Young can't be held at fault for having a lack lustre end to the season. O'neil made a huge ****** up in the Uefa back in Feb and I can't blame the players not being able to push on afterf an unforgivable mistake !

did he make a player who is judged to be world class by some forget how to make intelligent decisions?
big players turn up when the chips are down, if we were on a downward spiral we would be looking towards stevie and torres to turn it around not make excuses for them

YouKnowMyIdeas
17-6-09, 20:19
Young is a good player but would cost far too much. Villa weren't willing to sell Barry to us last year for less than 18m so i doubt we'd get Young for less than 25m.

Also, i think Mata would be a better option than Silva. If anyone is over rated it's Silva. Mata has far more potential.

Carramac
17-6-09, 20:30
did he make a player who is judged to be world class by some forget how to make intelligent decisions?
big players turn up when the chips are down, if we were on a downward spiral we would be looking towards stevie and torres to turn it around not make excuses for them

Iv'e never said he's world class. But I do think he's the sort of player who can come to Liverpool and make a step up ala Alonso, Skrtel or Dagger. Its amazing how well players can develop in the right environment and I think Liverpool is that sort of place.

Simo429
17-6-09, 20:32
Iv'e never said he's world class. But I do think he's the sort of player who can come to Liverpool and make a step up ala Alonso, Skrtel or Dagger. Its amazing how well players can develop in the right environment and I think Liverpool is that sort of place.

i never said that you had, but some do

such as

O’Neill: Young Is As Good As Messi And Ronaldo
Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has lavished praise on winger Ashley Young.
Dec 13, 2008 2:23:24 AM
EPL: Ashley Young and Martin O'Neill, Everton v Aston Villa (PA)
Photo Gallery
Zoom
EPL: Ashley Young and Martin O'Neill, Everton v Aston Villa (PA)
Related Links
Players

* Ashley Young

Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill has hailed the recent displays of Ashley Young and admitted he feels his player can go on to be as good as Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Whilst Young has been quietly impressive ever since moving to Aston Villa from Watford back in 2007, he hit the headlines last week with a match-winning brace against Everton last weekend.

Speaking to The Guardian, his manager reveals exactly how highly he rates his young winger.

“I think Ashley’s a word-class performer I really do,” said O’Neill, “I don’t use [those words] too often but he’s absolutely class. And he’s far from reached his peak. If you look at other top quality players who are 22 or 23 and who are absolutely brilliant … you look at people like Ronaldo and Messi and ask how they can improve, but they do, they just get better.”

His manager also admitted that the winning goal Young scored at Goodison Park last weekend in injury time to complete the victory over Everton, proved his quality.

“Could you name me two dozen players in the world who could have scored the second goal that he scored against Everton?” asked the Villa boss, “I can’t. To have the presence of mind … in the last minute of a game in which he had worked tirelessly … to have the energy to do it was remarkable. To have that poise was world class.”

The young winger has proved a vital member of the Villa squad that has surged up the table this season and look to be in with a chance of finishing in the top four.

The former Watford man has four Premier League goals to his name already this season and O’Neill is clearly expecting plenty more from the 23-year-old. He concluded: “I watch a lot of football and you see a lot of players playing the game who are very functional. Some are decent, some are more than decent and some are very good. And then you have players who are absolutely exceptional and Ashley Young is absolutely exceptional.”

jezthered82
17-6-09, 20:40
Stick in a bid of 20 million,but with O'Neill hatred of us he'd want 100!

What are you guys on about??? Definitely young, especially if we can get the guy for 100!

I tell you what, I'll do a whip around to save G and H some money:D:D

Carramac
17-6-09, 20:41
Young is a good player but would cost far too much. Villa weren't willing to sell Barry to us last year for less than 18m so i doubt we'd get Young for less than 25m.

Also, i think Mata would be a better option than Silva. If anyone is over rated it's Silva. Mata has far more potential.

I like your name have some rep ;)

BadgersAnonymous
17-6-09, 20:48
^^^^^
At no point does O'Neill (as the headline says) say or imply that Young is as good as Messi or Ronaldo. Shocking headline :p

ReubenStuddard
17-6-09, 20:49
^^^^^
At no point does O'Neill (as the headline says) say or imply that Young is as good as Messi or Ronaldo. Shocking headline :p

"If you look at other top quality players who are 22 or 23 and who are absolutely brilliant you look at people like Ronaldo and Messi"

BadgersAnonymous
17-6-09, 20:51
"If you look at other top quality players who are 22 or 23 and who are absolutely brilliant you look at people like Ronaldo and Messi"

Doesn't say or imply that Young is as good as either of them.

ReubenStuddard
17-6-09, 20:53
Doesn't say or imply that Young is as good as either of them.

It implies that they are all brilliant, inclusive of Young. He even maintained the stance when he was asked about it in the following week (In the Evening Mail, I hope there are some Brummies who can back me up on this :D).

BadgersAnonymous
17-6-09, 20:56
It implies that they are all brilliant, inclusive of Young. He even maintained the stance when he was asked about it in the following week (In the Evening Mail, I hope there are some Brummies who can back me up on this :D).

The headline says O'Neill says that Young Is As Good As Messi And Ronaldo.

He doesn't.

:p

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
17-6-09, 20:57
I like Young a lot.

kop96lfc
17-6-09, 21:23
Half a season of being off form in a nose-diving team does not make
Him a bad player . End. Of

Liverdinner
17-6-09, 21:27
I agree with Simo and don't want him, he is a speed merchant who puts crosses in. Neither desirable traits for our team.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
17-6-09, 21:28
I he is a speed merchant who puts crosses in.

:D

Liverdinner
17-6-09, 21:33
:D

If you disagree, a simple contradictory statement would be more effective than a derisively smilie icon :mad:(:rolleyes:)

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
17-6-09, 21:34
If you disagree, a simple contradictory statement would be more effective than a derisively smilie icon :mad:(:rolleyes:)

:crying

ReubenStuddard
17-6-09, 21:36
For what he'd cost he'd be too big a risk for us.

Liverdinner
17-6-09, 21:39
:crying

I win then.

YouKnowMyIdeas
17-6-09, 21:42
So, if money wasn't an issue who would you rather have, Silva or Young?

KanyeWest
17-6-09, 22:06

Id pretty much agree with that... though id also add that even taking potential out of it, Mata is better than Silva now.

Ive been shocked that all the talk regarding valencia has been just around villa and silva pretty much, havent heard a thing about Mata even though hed be cheaper and would command far smaller wages:confused:

kop96lfc
17-6-09, 22:07
So, if money wasn't an issue who would you rather have, Silva or Young?

Messi

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
17-6-09, 22:12
I win then.

:(

Liverdinner
17-6-09, 22:15
:(

:deadhorse: oh yeah first ever use and almost suitable for the moment.

YouKnowMyIdeas
17-6-09, 22:21
Id pretty much agree with that... though id also add that even taking potential out of it, Mata is better than Silva now.

Ive been shocked that all the talk regarding valencia has been just around villa and silva pretty much, havent heard a thing about Mata even though hed be cheaper and would command far smaller wages:confused:

Exactly. I think Mata's as good, if not better than Silva right now, but he also has far more going for him. Not sure how much more Silva can improve, whereas Mata has age on his side in that department. I don't think Mata would cost any more than Silva, if at all and in the long run he'd be a much better acquisition.

I don't think Silva or Young would be much of an improvement on Riera either. Just don't think Valencia would be willing to sell Mata just yet.

SurreyLiverpoolFan1983
18-6-09, 00:47
i tell you what with regards silva and mata

its shows how good Riera really is

Riera attacks full backs and is always positive thinking, even if every so often his decisions arent the best

Mata constantly controlled the ball and stopped and went backwards, he was frustrating the life out of me and by the looks of it Torres as well

anyone notice how poor Spain were because Cazorla and Mata took so long on the ball and always cutting backwards and allowing Iraq to settle meaning Ramos and Capdevila were marked out when they did raid forward

Andyfagan
18-6-09, 02:49

He's not on colossal wages and like you said, would be cheaper.

Valencia can therefore afford to keep him.

Andyfagan
18-6-09, 02:50
i tell you what with regards silva and mata

its shows how good Riera really is

Riera attacks full backs and is always positive thinking, even if every so often his decisions arent the best

Mata constantly controlled the ball and stopped and went backwards, he was frustrating the life out of me and by the looks of it Torres as well

anyone notice how poor Spain were because Cazorla and Mata took so long on the ball and always cutting backwards and allowing Iraq to settle meaning Ramos and Capdevila were marked out when they did raid forward

Mata is already a better player than Riera and he's only 21.

---D-C---
18-6-09, 04:48
I'd definitely rather sign Young than Silva. It's not something that's going to happen though.

keviv6
18-6-09, 10:22

I agree that he can develp here and i believe he will fit on perfectly.. BUT ALA ALONSO ????????? IM SORRY but did you not know xabi alonso was very popular way before he joined us?? he took real sociedad to second place in La liga one season.. make no mistake.. alonso was as good when we bought him

Andyfagan
18-6-09, 10:38
I'd definitely rather sign Young than Silva. It's not something that's going to happen though.

Indeed. Young would probably cost double what Silva would.

Darrren1
26-6-12, 21:26
I enjoyed reading this thread.

kickthetyres
26-6-12, 22:03

Thanks for raising it from the dead, had me thinking this was current stuff until I looked at the dates.

Liverdinner
26-6-12, 23:29

You're welcome.

:scarf

-tattybojangles-
26-6-12, 23:50

:scarf

Oh-Bout-Tree-Fiddy
27-6-12, 10:43
Ahh the great football knowledge of football fans raises its head once again