PDA

View Full Version : Ian Callaghan's record

kopitejim
27-6-09, 23:49
Do you think his record of most games played for Liverpool ever be broken?

I think it was something like 860.

LFC_Fan_1_2
27-6-09, 23:52
Its like saying, do you think there'll ever be a player as good as Maradona again?

kopitejim
27-6-09, 23:54
Its like saying, do you think there'll ever be a player as good as Maradona again?

No it isn't, not at all.

JurgenKlopp
27-6-09, 23:55

Who knows. It's possible but I doubt it.

LFC_Fan_1_2
27-6-09, 23:56
Will there ever be a player as good as Maradona again?

Who knows. It's possible but I doubt it.

Redhead
28-6-09, 00:05
I know Gerrard said he'd consider retiring at 33 but if he chose to do a maldini and carry on he is the only player out of the current crop who has the slightest chance of matching cally's record. Personally I think if we win a couple of premier leagues in the next three or four years he would definitely carry on. I could see him playing full back into his mid / late thirties as I feel he has the drive provided the environment is right to go on and become Liverpool's most successful player.

Jannno
28-6-09, 00:06
Who's the closest to his record atm, with how many? Anybody know?

ForkHandles
28-6-09, 00:08
I know Gerrard said he'd consider retiring at 33 but if he chose to do a maldini and carry on he is the only player out of the current crop who has the slightest chance of matching cally's record. Personally I think if we win a couple of premier leagues in the next three or four years he would definitely carry on. I could see him playing full back into his mid / late thirties as I feel he has the drive provided the environment is right to go on and become Liverpool's most successful player.

it's stupid when someone says they'll consider retiring at xx because how can they have any idea of what the deal will be then. WHat if he's feeling as good as he does now and we're winning and there's a place for him in the side- basically people should just say they'll keep going until they can't play at the level they'd like to anymore

(still bitter that fergie hasn't retired :D)

JurgenKlopp
28-6-09, 00:09
Carra has 577 appearances. He won't catch up but i'd like to see him get as close as possible

Jannno
28-6-09, 00:11
Carra has 577 appearances. He won't catch up but i'd like to see him get as close as possible

wow - and Carra has been playing for us since he was a lad - makes you wonder how Cally got to 800, perhaps he played until he was 36 or something?

ForkHandles
28-6-09, 00:11
is callys record games in every comp plus friendlies?

Luchadeer
28-6-09, 00:13
Ian Callaghan 857
Ray Clemence 665
Emlyn Hughes 665
Ian Rush 660
Phil Neal 650
Tommy Smith 638
Bruce Grobbelaar 628
Alan Hansen 620
Jamie Carragher 567
Chris Lawler 549

I think Carragher will struggle to even reach Hansen's total. Quite amazing the difference between first and second.

LFC_Fan_1_2
28-6-09, 00:14
is callys record games in every comp plus friendlies?

No. He played for about 18 seasons, compared to Carra's 12ish.

Ian Callaghan 857
Ray Clemence 665
Emlyn Hughes 665
Ian Rush 660
Phil Neal 650
Tommy Smith 638
Bruce Grobbelaar 628
Alan Hansen 620
Jamie Carragher 567
Chris Lawler 549

I think Carragher will struggle to even reach Hansen's total. Quite amazing the difference between first and second.

Carra will definitely get another 50 apps. He'll probably end up 2nd.

kopitejim
28-6-09, 00:14
Cally was at LFC from 1960-78, age 18-36.

He then went on and played for 4 more years until he was 42.

Redhead
28-6-09, 00:15
wow - and Carra has been playing for us since he was a lad - makes you wonder how Cally got to 800, perhaps he played until he was 36 or something?

I think the answer to that one is he played continuously for over 12 seasons, was hardly ever dropped and never really suffered any proper injuries, bit like Giggs in a way for United. Remember, carra broke his leg and was in and out of the team in his early career

ForkHandles
28-6-09, 00:17
No. He played for about 18 seasons, compared to Carra's 12ish.

sorry i meant does the total include cup games and friendlies as qwell as league games

Cally was at LFC from 1960-78, age 18-36.

He then went on and played for 4 more years until he was 42.

what was he doing when he was 36-38?

kopitejim
28-6-09, 00:20
what was he doing when he was 36-38?

Trying to tutor me, we had a lot of problems with the difference between 2 and 0 lesson.

ForkHandles
28-6-09, 00:22
Trying to tutor me, we had a lot of problems with the difference between 2 and 0 lesson.

:D thought you were gonna say he was a sub or quit then came back or something

Redhead
28-6-09, 00:25
it's stupid when someone says they'll consider retiring at xx because how can they have any idea of what the deal will be then. WHat if he's feeling as good as he does now and we're winning and there's a place for him in the side- basically people should just say they'll keep going until they can't play at the level they'd like to anymore

(still bitter that fergie hasn't retired :D)

I know what you're saying here, however I think of him as just another guy. Ok he is one of the best footballers in the world but he may have set his sights on a retirement date just as much as I have!

The only thing that will keep him going at 33 I believe if he realistically thinks he has a odds on chance of winning more premier league and champions league titles. He's not going to move to another club now, he'll retire at his peak if he doesn't think the setup around him isn't upto scratch to win more titles.

ForkHandles
28-6-09, 00:31
I know what you're saying here, however I think of him as just another guy. Ok he is one of the best footballers in the world but he may have set his sights on a retirement date just as much as I have!

The only thing that will keep him going at 33 I believe if he realistically thinks he has a odds on chance of winning more premier league and champions league titles. He's not going to move to another club now, he'll retire at his peak if he doesn't think the setup around him isn't upto scratch to win more titles.

yeah but the reason it's different for footballers imo is because mid-30's is so young and any player would be out of their mind to quit when they've still got a couple of years in them, so it's moot for a player to state when he thinks he'll quit. It's universally known that early to mid-30's is the usual retirement age(from top-level) for a footy player but there's sometimes exceptions. Will be a sad day when that does come round but looking at Giggs still playing at 35 gives me hope that Gerrard can at least equal that even if he won't be as effective as he is now

Redhead
28-6-09, 00:44
Great point Mr handles and I do agree with you but for every Giggs (and there are only a handful of that quality) there is a Cantona (again only a handful who can say they retired at the top of their game). Surely Gerrard would assess his future at the end of his current contract and be realistic that as he enters his mid thirties there is no way he could carry the team like he has done for the past god knows how many years! If he looks around him and sees players capable of doing the job he currently does and he still feels he can contribute to the team i'm sure he'll stay and I hope he does!

TheVikingMushroom
28-6-09, 00:47
Ah Stevie could eventually move to sweeper like the great Lothat Mattheaus. He was quality he was

ForkHandles
28-6-09, 00:49
redhead, yeah agree, it's just a gripe when players mention their retirement age so far in advance....anyway let's hope Gerrard plays into his 50's like Stanley Matthews :D

ForkHandles
28-6-09, 00:50
Ah Stevie could eventually move to sweeper like the great Lothat Mattheaus. He was quality he was

Stevie could move into a less demanding roll yes, good point

Euro-77-78-81-84-05
28-6-09, 00:53
What's the most games any one player has played for anyone club. Maldini did 901 for Milan, has anyone done 1,000 for one club.

Redhead
28-6-09, 00:54

Do you know what pal, I could seriously see that happening! And I hope it does. And agree with you, what a player Mattheaus was

ForkHandles
28-6-09, 00:54
What's the most games any one player has played for anyone club. Maldini did 901 for Milan, has anyone done 1,000 for one club.

hmm, peter shilton played over a thousand but i doubt for one club

LFC_Fan_1_2
28-6-09, 00:55
Do you know what pal, I could seriously see that happening! And I hope it does. And agree with you, what a player Mattheaus was

If anything Gerrard will become and finish as a striker, not a sweeper.

Luchadeer
28-6-09, 01:01

True, and I could see him doing a good job there. I reckon he could still be brilliant for us during his mid-thirties in a defensive midfielder role.

Redhead
28-6-09, 01:05

Do you think so underdogg? I just think there is still a place in the modern game for a sweeper type player or holding player who has exceptional reading ability of the game like Gerrard does. The modern day striker appears to be as much about pace and power as all the other factors. Can you name a current top drawer striker who isn't quick? There doesn't appear to be a bergkamp or Zola anymore?

LFC_Fan_1_2
28-6-09, 01:08
Do you think so underdogg? I just think there is still a place in the modern game for a sweeper type player or holding player who has exceptional reading ability of the game like Gerrard does. The modern day striker appears to be as much about pace and power as all the other factors. Can you name a current top drawer striker who isn't quick? There doesn't appear to be a bergkamp or Zola anymore?

Gerrard is more about pace and power than reading the game. But he could do both, which will enhance his longevity.

Redhead
28-6-09, 01:18
Gerrard is more about pace and power than reading the game. But he could do both, which will enhance his longevity.

It is now because his body allows him to, but could you really see him repeating that level of intensity at 35? Surely he would be more comfortable in a position in his 'twilight' years in a part of the park that doesn't rely on power and pace? I'm not disagreeing with you I just don't see that old pro role up front in the premier league anymore. I think it died when shearer retired

ThievingMagpie
28-6-09, 01:23

pele for santos maybe?

LFC_Fan_1_2
28-6-09, 01:24
It is now because his body allows him to, but could you really see him repeating that level of intensity at 35? Surely he would be more comfortable in a position in his 'twilight' years in a part of the park that doesn't rely on power and pace? I'm not disagreeing with you I just don't see that old pro role up front in the premier league anymore. I think it died when shearer retired

No it didn't "die" its just no one has been anywhere near the level of Shearer since. Players like Shearer and Ferdinand were banging them in until a late age, and look at Sheringham too. Now I'm not saying Gerrard is like these players, but he can learn, he's only 29, he's already an accomplished finisher and is good with his head and left foot, but needs to be better.

When he's old, I see him up front with a zippy young strike partner.

LFC_Fan_1_2
28-6-09, 01:25
pele for santos maybe?

Nah but he was one of just five people in the history of professional world football to have scored 1000 goals. And no, Romario is not one of them.

ThievingMagpie
28-6-09, 01:27
well i know he played 1120 games during his santos career, just dont know how many of the were int.

Redhead
28-6-09, 01:30
I hope so underdogg. You make some great points and I hope that young whippy striker is Torres for at least the next five years!

ThievingMagpie
28-6-09, 01:33
pele had 97 caps

Kev-is-Red
28-6-09, 05:17

Messi.... hopefully.

:scarf

Kev-is-Red
28-6-09, 05:18
Gerrard could easily get up to 700. Probably not much more than 750 though if he gets there.

partlydave
28-6-09, 06:39
hmm, peter shilton played over a thousand but i doubt for one club

The most he played for 1 team was Leicester, 286 times, and 1005 in total for 8 different teams.
I appreciate he was a great keeper, but didnt like that he was around when Clem was, and prevented Clem from many more England caps

CharlieManson
1-1-13, 20:18
Seen Ian Callaghan today walking past my Uncles house in Lydiate ;)

Little Phil C
1-1-13, 20:21

No sure but Javier Zanetti might have

MignoLetItBe
1-1-13, 20:21
No sure but Javier Zanetti might have

Zanetti is on 823 for Internazionale, he's played 1,000 in total.

christhered
1-1-13, 20:23
Lots of blasts from the past in this thread.

Little Kev. bless.

karius home
1-1-13, 20:31
Callaghans record was total appearances and i think Carraghers current apearances record is 710 though i maybe a few games out during last season he celebrated 700 appearances.

Gut feeling no one will break that record though stevie may if he plays till hes 36 or 37

WineForMyMen
1-1-13, 20:36
It's a ridiculous figure and the chances of it being broken are probably decreasing all the time given the demands of the modern game and the nature of the transfer/scouting networks.

I mean, we're talking 50 games a season for 17 odd years.

Best chance would come from a prodigiously talented keeper. Even then...

DiscoDjimi
1-1-13, 20:48
Won't be broken the same way Rush's goalscoring record will never be broken.

reallash
1-1-13, 20:50

Ian went from ythe second division as a 17 year old, to the champions of Europe, never to be equaled

carraforcaptain
1-1-13, 20:59
Whoever beat it would need to play virtually every game for 15-16 seasons or most games over 18-20 seasons. Highly unlikely that we'll ever have another player who will merit being in the team for that long. If someone does beat it it'll be a world class keeper who gets an early break.

Captain Mauser
1-1-13, 21:37

Hopefully not... Cally deserves to keep that as he was a special kind of red.

ever-red-e
1-1-13, 22:29
A player for whom the title 'legend' could have been created - a truly remarkable player AND man. I agree with you PaoloMossy, I hope Cally's record stands forever. :scarf

Locutus
1-1-13, 22:59
Cally started to be phased out in the last 2 seasons of his career.
I think most of his last 100 appearences might have been as a sub ( we only had one in those days).
Late on in games if we were in a narrow lead teams used to 'go for the throat' and we could find clearances coming straight back at us (Sexton was at man U).
Bob used to put him on the centre of the pitch to hold up play and bring others in.
Despite not having the 'legs' anymore he still had a presence and was a good ball player.

Of course at the time fans complained of him 'taking the ball and always playing a back pass'.:rolleyes:

KOPGIRL1971
1-1-13, 23:30

857 over 18 years, phenomenal

I doubt very much it will be broken

NJNorm
2-1-13, 00:14

No rotation 42 league games a season plus Europe and he was young when he took over from Liddell seldom injured never suspended

Locutus
2-1-13, 01:46
No rotation 42 league games a season plus Europe and he was young when he took over from Liddell seldom injured never suspended

Cortisol injections
Play through the pain

johnamiri
2-1-13, 12:27
Cortisol injections
Play through the pain

and only booked I think once. H lived in the same flats as us in Caryl Gardens Liverpool 8. Very unassuming man. A lot of the Big Time Charlies around now could learn a thing or 2 from the likes of him and Billy Liddell.

Dashmundo
2-1-13, 12:28
If we sign Jack Butland, and he's a first team starter by the start of next season, and then proceeds to stay for nearly 20 years, then it may well be broken.

An outfield player? Highly unlikely. Not in my lifetime at least, I don't think.

ForzaAdorjan
2-1-13, 12:45
Wikipedia makes Zanetti out to have played 1067 games (Inc Internationals) which by my maths, if he plays 28 more games he will have had 3 years of his life dedicated to match days in which he was involved at a senior level.

Locutus
2-1-13, 13:03
and only booked I think once. H lived in the same flats as us in Caryl Gardens Liverpool 8. Very unassuming man. A lot of the Big Time Charlies around now could learn a thing or 2 from the likes of him and Billy Liddell.

Was introduced to him in a 'members' club in Rumford place, just after he hung up his boots and started his insurance company, by a mutual acquaintance.
He visibly shrank when he found out I was a big Liverpool fan. (He just wanted a quiet drink).
I left him alone.