PDA

View Full Version : Are Man City actually THAT good?

MiraclesArePossible
20-9-09, 13:55
They've recruited very, very well recently as is obvious. Tevez, Adebayor and Robinho are world class players for example, but is the team all that? I'm not convinced personally. There are a number of their players who I don't believe are conducive to a world class team that can challenge for the title - Barry (controversially I suppose), Bridge, Bellamy and De Jong, among others, are examples for me. It seems to me as if the hyperbole surrounding Man City's "title credentials" has gone much too far. I think they will be found out very soon in the league because I don't thinkk they have that little something extra that they're going to need to make a great impact in this league, title challenge or not...

brummiered01
20-9-09, 13:58
I don't think they've got a title winning team or manager at the moment, but they are certainly capable of a top 4 finish

Vladtheimpaler
Quite simply, no, they're not.

Title credentials? They won't finish in the top four, let alone come anywhere near winning the title.

GoatApocalypse
I think they've got Europa League-strength defence and midfield, and a Champions League-strength forward line. I think they're very strong.

De Jong and Kompany are very good midfielders, Ireland too. Maybe they lack a bit on the flanks and at full-back.

Bobbypeck
they are good enough to challenge for the top 4. Not for the title IMO.

PeaTearGryphon
20-9-09, 13:59
Their attacking talent is outstanding.

Certainly got a squad able to break the top 4

MiraclesArePossible
20-9-09, 13:59
Quite simply, no, they're not.

Title credentials? They won't finish in the top four, let alone come anywhere near winning the title.

I agree my friend, hence the inverted commas around the words "title credentials".

Graggster
20-9-09, 14:00
They have a fanstastic sqaud.. im not sure if they will challenge this season but they will certainly have their say season but defo next season.

Vladtheimpaler
20-9-09, 14:04
The top four at the end of this season will feature the same teams as last season: Arsenal, United, Chelsea and ourselves. Only the order will change... hopefully with us on top of the tree.

Liverdinner
20-9-09, 14:04
Tevez is overrated and they are too imo.

A squad of good player, not top players.

Vanoord
20-9-09, 14:05
Hughes has built a squad which should be capable of a decent finish in the league - he's bought players who are proven in the league.

The alternative would have been to buy some stars from foreign leagues for a fortune, but it looks like Citeh's owners have learned from last summer's star buy and realised that that Premiership-proven is the way to go.

The squad is not necessarily going to work in the CL, but they've got to get there first.

The interesting thing to watch will be whether the team has the ability to cope towards the end of this season and snatch a CL place - I reckon it'll be a close-run thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took another season.

GoatApocalypse
20-9-09, 14:07
Tevez is overrated and they are too imo.

A squad of good player, not top players.

Tevez is over-rated, fair enough, but the general strength and depth they have throughout the squad is impressive. I'd love to have de Jong here, for example.

Liverdinner
20-9-09, 14:14
Tevez is over-rated, fair enough, but the general strength and depth they have throughout the squad is impressive. I'd love to have de Jong here, for example.

Meh.

I think only Robinho would get into our full strength side, though id love Adebayor who imo is world class.

Obviously atm our midfield could do with a number of their players but, i dont see top quality there. Theyre like SPurs.

Castro-33
20-9-09, 14:17
would kill to see stephen ireland in our team

Snippes
20-9-09, 14:19
They've recruited very, very well recently as is obvious. Tevez, Adebayor and Robinho are world class players for example, but is the team all that? I'm not convinced personally. There are a number of their players who I don't believe are conducive to a world class team that can challenge for the title - Barry (controversially I suppose), Bridge, Bellamy and De Jong, among others, are examples for me. It seems to me as if the hyperbole surrounding Man City's "title credentials" has gone much too far. I think they will be found out very soon in the league because I don't thinkk they have that little something extra that they're going to need to make a great impact in this league, title challenge or not...

Am not sure I would classify Tevez, Adebayor and Robinho as world class just yet. Very talented players with mad skillz, yes. But especially Adebayor and Robinho, they have consistency problems that don't quite make them world class IMO.

Everything else you say though in your post, is pretty accurate.

changeaname
20-9-09, 14:22
I would like to see them put down a peg maybe by someone like Barcelona if an english team can't do it. Maybe if they get in the CL.

To be honest it's kind of hard to **** up when you've spent what over 200 million since the new owners came in? Even if Mark Hughes is in charge.

Red-And-Proud
20-9-09, 14:23
They need to get Mourhinio in then I'll start to worry

GoatApocalypse
20-9-09, 14:27
I would like to see them put down a peg maybe by someone like Barcelona if an english team can't do it. Maybe if they get in the CL.

They beat Barca in a summer friendly.

Mr-Rager
20-9-09, 14:31

If an English team can't peg them, surely they'll win the league?

19-UNDER-[B-ROD]
20-9-09, 15:17
Well they're losing 3-2 to the scum at this moment.

Fizzle
20-9-09, 15:23
Well they're losing 3-2 to the scum at this moment.

No way come on Citeh!!!!:mad:

cheep-cheep
20-9-09, 15:28
get in there yipeeee

ha ha ha ha ha

he he he he he

there is only one team in manchester and that is manchester city because United is in salford

Fizzle
20-9-09, 15:29
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess ssssssssssss

19-UNDER-[B-ROD]
20-9-09, 15:30
It's 3-3 now, perfect result as I hate both clubs.

cheep-cheep
20-9-09, 15:30
four minutes of added time turned into six or seven minutes

dirty cheating mancs

19-UNDER-[B-ROD]
20-9-09, 15:32
Oops I've talked too soon, that scumbag traitor Owen has scored in injury time 4-3.

darrenm1832000
20-9-09, 15:41
There not a bad side to be fair. Have some very good players, but there defending is worse than ours, is it not a coincidence that they mark zonely.

Fizzle
20-9-09, 15:42
No way

Fizzle
20-9-09, 15:46
at least citys 100 percent record is gone

KanyeWest
20-9-09, 15:48
They have a fanstastic sqaud.. im not sure if they will challenge this season but they will certainly have their say season but defo next season.

Dont forget our bet:)

Graggster
20-9-09, 15:51
Dont forget our bet:)

Like im gonna forget:rolleyes:. bye bye shaps

Ihaveadream
20-9-09, 15:55
said it last season and im still right

City will push us all the way

:scarf

WHEELS1974
20-9-09, 16:10
City have good players but they'll still struggle as a team, they were battered by the Scum in the 2nd half and Arsenal had them on the ropes too last week. Their pretty good but not exceptional and look shaky at the back. They should have taken a point today though.

rcsc1
20-9-09, 17:53
I think they looked quite a handfull today going forward even without adabayor, united had to stretch themselves to win.

I hope we can sort out our defensive frailties and also get Aqualani playing.

Mountainman
20-9-09, 17:59
The shape of the Premier League is becoming clear. Chelsea and Man U are the teams to beat. City, Arsenal, Villa and Spurs will challenge for third and fourth, especially City and Arsenal.

So where do we fit in? I hope for the best. If we don't find the form of the end of last season, we will be in a fight with City and Arsenal for third/fourth.

Ayub
20-9-09, 18:10
someone said that had we had Barry we would have won the PL - well, if you go by that then no doubt they will win the PL!

Overall, they have a very good team but dont think they have the manager to win trophies - Hughes is a good manager at clubs that dont have the pressure to win major trophies - like someone said earlier if they get jose then I reckon they will win the PL within two years

Andyfagan
20-9-09, 18:12
Man City won't win the league.

They'll put up a fight for fourth, though.

U-Know-Who
20-9-09, 18:13
Man City won't win the league.

They'll put up a fight for fourth, though.

Hopefully not with us.:scarf

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
20-9-09, 18:13
someone said that had we had Barry we would have won the PL - well, if you go by that then no doubt they will win the PL!

*yawn*

Ayub
20-9-09, 18:22
*yawn*

Pity that is the only thing you can commnet on!

CharlieManson
27-10-12, 19:43
No...

-Lucas--Leiva-
27-10-12, 19:46
No...

As they are current champions of England I would lean towards yes.

CharlieManson
27-10-12, 19:47
As they are current champions of England I would lean towards yes.

I just watched them play and i say no.

-CADS-
27-10-12, 19:48

They're only 1 point off the top tbf...

CharlieManson
27-10-12, 19:50
They're only 1 point off the top tbf...

Its early days... They have just been awfull v Swansea and were terrible through the week aswell.

-CADS-
27-10-12, 19:54
Its early days... They have just been awfull v Swansea and were terrible through the week aswell.

They've not been impressive I agree. Shocking defence.

-SilkySkills-
27-10-12, 19:56
Mancini shouldn't have tinkered with the side and changed to the 3-4-3, if it's not broke then don't fix it.

I do think they have a very good side though.

purejam
27-10-12, 19:58
No...

If that's the case, how on earth would you describe us? Maybe you should look at the PL table before answering.

-Lucas--Leiva-
27-10-12, 19:59

Which makes it fact.

CharlieManson
27-10-12, 20:00
If that's the case, how on earth would you describe us? Maybe you should look at the PL table before answering.

I have the PL table in my favourites, Also i dont look at the table and say "no.1 is the best FFS"

I judge teams on actual play and not by a table.

You should try it sometime.

SweetSilverSeven
27-10-12, 20:01
I still think they're a great side - in terms of quality, style of football, strength of character.... pretty everything you's expect from champions
Okay, they're not at their best, but still a top side!

CharlieManson
27-10-12, 20:03
I still think they're a great side - in terms of quality, style of football, strength of character.... pretty everything you's expect from champions
Okay, they're not at their best, but still a top side!

They are virtually out of the CL, look poor in the league, they arent great at all. We are Great, they are not.

They may have bought the PL title but that doesnt make them a great side.

purejam
27-10-12, 20:03
I have the PL table in my favourites, Also i dont look at the table and say "no.1 is the best FFS"

Are you going to answer my question?

CharlieManson
27-10-12, 20:06
Are you going to answer my question?

see post #52 for a description of Liverpool FC on my part.

SweetSilverSeven
27-10-12, 20:07
They are virtually out of the CL, look poor in the league, they arent great at all. We are Great, they are not.

They may have bought the PL title but that doesnt make them a great side.

To win the title, they have had to had great players...... whether bought by billionaires or bought the the accademy system, the players must've been top quality.
There's a different between a "Great Team" and "Great Club".

CharlieManson
27-10-12, 20:09
To win the title, they have had to had great players...... whether bought by billionaires or bought the the accademy system, the players must've been top quality.
There's a different between a "Great Team" and "Great Club".

They bought the title, yes, but they are not the same this time around. They are poor and big sides will expose them.

Wheres their 5 European Cups?

Thats right..

kickthetyres
27-10-12, 20:19
They ahve a bunch of quality players but are not a cohesive team IMHO. They are too easily exposed at the back amd in recent games have relied on Joe Hart to keep them in matches. Mourinho would fill his boots there.

domino
27-10-12, 20:24
I don't rate Mancini that highly and never have.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
27-10-12, 20:36

hahahah what the **** :D

ceredred
27-10-12, 21:11
They are still grinding out results and have a habit of coming back and grabbing wins in the league this season.

'Stim
27-10-12, 21:31
I think they are very efficient rather than good. They seem to have exactly all the right players in the right places to do their job when required. I suppose having most of the World's wealth at their disposal has got them this attribute. In Europe,I'd say their manager is seriously lacking,he does seem to struggle in these tournaments setting a team up right,but having said that,you don't win a premier league title by fluke. When they aren't having a mmeltdown on the pitch (which is rare) or internally with player staff,I'd say they are efficient,nothing more. For the money that they've spent they should be better,in my opinion.

CharlieManson
27-10-12, 21:36
hahahah what the **** :D

Ya what ?

'Stim
27-10-12, 21:43
Would it be fair to say that City are less good than they were last season? They just seem to have gone backwards a little bit,to me. Especially in those european games,I think they could be missing De Jong in those kind of games to be behind Toure a sure everything up for the two centre halves. They've been ripped apart in a couple of games,very un-City like when compared to last season. I was surprised when De Jong left. If it weren't for a definitely more busy Joe Hart,they'd be bang in trouble,I think.....Mancini especially.

ceredred
27-10-12, 21:52
Would it be fair to say that City are less good than they were last season? They just seem to have gone backwards a little bit,to me. Especially in those european games,I think they could be missing De Jong in those kind of games to be behind Toure a sure everything up for the two centre halves. They've been ripped apart in a couple of games,very un-City like when compared to last season. I was surprised when De Jong left. If it weren't for a definitely more busy Joe Hart,they'd be bang in trouble,I think.....Mancini especially.They do miss De Jong and at present miss Silva when he is not playing, the problem with city is they are carrying passengers such as Milner and Barry who are being found out in games.

DAN83DAN
27-10-12, 21:58
I don't think they've got a title winning team or manager at the moment, but they are certainly capable of a top 4 finish

Lol, with all due respect they won the league with the "team" & "manager" so stop talking ********, as much as it pains me to say it they could do it again.

KeemI
27-10-12, 23:42
Lol, with all due respect they won the league with the "team" & "manager" so stop talking ********, as much as it pains me to say it they could do it again.

That post was made when Mark Hughes was still City's manager.

King Kop
28-10-12, 00:38
Until we get ourselves together i want city to win every game,except us obviouslY.The choice of city,united ,or chelsea to win the league,City every day of the week

Dioltas
28-10-12, 00:44
Until we get ourselves together i want city to win every game,except us obviouslY.The choice of city,united ,or chelsea to win the league,City every day of the week

Absolutely. It's sad to say out loud because we should be focusing on ourselves but it's hard to argue with not wanting United to gain even more titles over us or for other rivals to strengthen.

In order of who I'd want to win the league if not us: City, Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Newcastle, Spurs. Most of them have no chance but still. I've lead with the sugar daddies who will always be thereabouts and are artificially strong so they may as well win in terms of keeping our long term competitiveness. Followed by United for obvious reasons. Then Arsenal, NUFC and Spurs because if they were to win the league it would help them strengthen massively and make top 4 even more difficult for us, so I would rather United won the league than them - because it would be best for Liverpool's own drive for future success.

-SilkySkills-
28-10-12, 00:59

I'm with you on this, who do these whoppers in first place think they are!!! :mad:

CharlieManson
28-10-12, 01:34
I'm with you on this, who do these whoppers in first place think they are!!! :mad:

Well it isnt City FFS.

AnfieldPoots
28-10-12, 05:52
I think they can be really good but they are currently buying a little too much into their own hype...and are being found out a little

Also I don't think Mancini really gets the best out of them and seems to make a ton of bad calls...dzeko for instance has saved them 3 times this season and he still doesn't get a sniff in the opening 11...what does that say to the rest of the team? Also atm Nasri, Aguero, Kompany and Hart have all underperformed (by their standards) and that has hurt them

Em-inLeam
28-10-12, 09:32

Fail

phuzz
28-10-12, 09:44
Yeah they are light years ahead of us.

-SilkySkills-
28-10-12, 09:55
Fail

Do do realise it's an old thread right?

phuzz
28-10-12, 09:56
Do do realise it's an old thread right?

In 2009 it was debatable if they were any good. It's not anymore.

-SilkySkills-
28-10-12, 09:57
In 2009 it was debatable if they were any good. It's not anymore.

yep