PDA

View Full Version : Ian Rush scores and loses....

Darrren1
5-4-10, 14:15
Today, April 5th, is a sad anniversary of the first time that we lost when Ian Rush scored. It was 23 years ago - April 5th 1987 - when we played Arsenal in the Littlewoods Cup final. It's a date that is permanently etched into my brain and shall never be forgotten. The record had stood for nearly 6 years and had become one of the most famous stats in football: 'whenever Ian Rush scores, Liverpool never lose!'.

Rush had scored in 145 games for Liverpool at that point and in all those games we were unbeaten.

But all good things must come to an end - what a shame it had to be in a final though. Rush had given us the lead, but then Arsenal came back and equalised through Charlie Nicholas. With just 8 minutes to go, Charlie Nicholas scored again, to win the cup and end the record.

As a 14 year old I was distraught and inconsolable. I had to go for a walk to clear my head. I remember walking aimlessly through the streets trying to take it all in. My world didnt make sense anymore. Maybe Rushie wasnt infallible after all.

Then of course, 6 days later we played Norwich and lost 2-1, the scorer.... Ian Rush. The run had well and truly come to an end....

gedzredz
5-4-10, 14:31
I remember it well to mate, I was the same age. Charlie Nicolas and his silly mullet and Perry Groves I think. I remember dreading school the next day when I'd have to suffer the ribbing from the mancs. Back then was the opposite to now where all they had to celebrate was our failings. Who would have thought back then how much the tide would turn?

Darrren1
5-4-10, 14:41
I remember it well to mate, I was the same age. Charlie Nicolas and his silly mullet and Perry Groves I think. I remember dreading school the next day when I'd have to suffer the ribbing from the mancs. Back then was the opposite to now where all they had to celebrate was our failings. Who would have thought back then how much the tide would turn?

I know its incredible how badly things have turned round. Given how we were winning the title every other year and pulling further and further away from Utd, it should have taken at least 50 years before they even got close to catching our titles haul. The last 20 years just couldnt have gone much better for them really.

Darrren1
5-4-11, 01:50
Well, its April 5th again - can't believe how quickly it's come round.

I can't hear the date April 5th without thinking of that match and of Rush losing that record...

Blazt3roidz
5-4-11, 03:08
I never knew that :)

Thank you for sharing these delightful [ or unlucky in this instance ] stories :)
Sucks being a young fan :(

StevieBaros17
5-4-11, 03:26
Wow. 2 in a row. As they say. When it rains, it pours.

Remember the Arsenal invincible side who went 49 unbeaten? Then lost to united, scored injury time equaliser against Southampton in the next game, followed by Neil Mellor's thumper in that game!

Darrren1
5-4-11, 04:43
I never knew that :)

Thank you for sharing these delightful [ or unlucky in this instance ] stories :)
Sucks being a young fan :(

:) Well now that the King is back, Im sure you'll soon have your own stories to tell the future generations! :D

Wow. 2 in a row. As they say. When it rains, it pours.

Remember the Arsenal invincible side who went 49 unbeaten? Then lost to united, scored injury time equaliser against Southampton in the next game, followed by Neil Mellor's thumper in that game!

Yeah, it must be a mental thing. What price Mourinho loses his next home league game? :D

Edit: Actually its pretty likely as Real Madrid's next home game is against Barcelona...

Blazt3roidz
5-4-11, 04:52
:) Well now that the King is back, Im sure you'll soon have your own stories to tell the future generations! :D

Yeah, it must be a mental thing. What price Mourinho loses his next home league game? :D

Edit: Actually its pretty likely as Real Madrid's next home game is against Barcelona...

Let's hope so too mate :D

Barca trashing Real at Bernabeu = **** yeah ;)

StevieBaros17
5-4-11, 05:40
Defininitely a mental. I was so proud of beating Chelsea at Anfield this season, but it turned out in the next few weeks they were dropping points against everyone too

LordJamieOfCarragher
5-4-11, 07:19
I was there as well. :(

Perry Groves changed the match for Arsenal when he came on as sub.

bondred
5-4-11, 07:55
And we lost the league to the bitters :(

But on the up side we went all season unbeaten at home the following season :D

redhoops
5-4-11, 08:04
didnt rush have to wait something like 20 odd games before he scored in game against the mancs?

his never losing when scoring record was remarakble.still,a glorious sunny sunday at wembley not a bad place to lose it,****** charlie....

Dousty
5-4-11, 09:51
I couldn't believe this result. It was probably the first time I'd ever missed a Liverpool match on telly - my brother was playing in a football tournament and I went along to support him - got Mum to record the game... but of course being a football tournament it was impossible not to know the score of our game. Happy that we went 1 up but then heard of Charlie Nicholas's "double" that won it for Arsenal...

Every time I see that Scotsman on Sports Saturday I think of that day. The git :D

I can't believe I actually decided to watch the whole game after that. Ah well - guess I wanted to see what went wrong.

But anyway, Tosh. Of course he then left that Summer for what seemed to him "like a foreign country". :D It was like the dream was over... that was until Kenny brought him back a year later and we won some more trophies including our last league title in '90 where Rushie scored in the game that won it for us. :scarf

Dousty
5-4-11, 09:53
didnt rush have to wait something like 20 odd games before he scored in game against the mancs?

his never losing when scoring record was remarakble.still,a glorious sunny sunday at wembley not a bad place to lose it,****** charlie....

Yeah you're right and I think, though I'm not sure, that he finally broke his duck when he got 2 at Old Trafford (must've been about 92/93?) but Mark Hughes also got 2 for them in a 2-2 draw.

Rush also scored a corker at Anfield against United (on my birthday) but they came back to win 2-1. This year I had a more pleasing birthday when United came to Anfield :scarf

RebelRed80
5-4-11, 09:57
Rushie never scored an 'official' goal against Mancs until end of '91/'92 season. Last game I think it was and it ended Utd's title hopes (leeds went on to win it). However I was at a testimonial in Belfast August 1983 and saw Ian Rush score twice against Utd. We were 3-1 up at HT after Souness also scored a beauty - guess what - those mankers came back and won 4-3. So back then they were even coming from 2 goals behind and in friendlies. Much as I hate them I also admire the teams spirit - apparently they've had that since Busby. We're the only other team who has a history of comebacks from seemingly hopeless situations. Anyway talking of strikers on a drought - I will be cheering on Judas tomorrow night. He has to break his duck sometime soon - bet Vidic is dreading it. Hope he scores hat-tricks in both these CL games and then goes back to being unable to hit a barn door.

redhoops
5-4-11, 20:24
Yeah you're right and I think, though I'm not sure, that he finally broke his duck when he got 2 at Old Trafford (must've been about 92/93?) but Mark Hughes also got 2 for them in a 2-2 draw.

Rush also scored a corker at Anfield against United (on my birthday) but they came back to win 2-1. This year I had a more pleasing birthday when United came to Anfield :scarf

yeah,thought so,remarkable.

cause the mancs were RANK back then

:D:scarf:D:scarf

4thofficial
5-4-11, 22:32
That was my first time at Wembley. When Rushie scored I thought it was game over. Damn you Charlie Nicholas :mad:

co2
5-4-11, 23:00
Blimey... I was distraught after that game. To this day though, I always thought it was Perry Groves who scored the goals! Wasn't it the season Rushie was off to Juve as well? Was like the end of something special for me that day, he was my hero.

Darrren1
5-4-13, 22:15
26 years now. I still cant think of April 5th without thinking of that match...

Graggster
5-4-13, 22:18
Rush had scored in 145 games for Liverpool at that point and in all those games we were unbeaten.

thats an unbeleivable record

christhered
5-4-13, 22:18
I watched it in Saudi Arabia on 14" portable and picked up by arsing about with the aerial, changed days. Charlie Nicholas, ******.

Darrren1
5-4-13, 22:23
thats an unbeleivable record

It really was. I think I was more gutted about the record ending than I was about losing the cup final. The junior statto that I was. :D

And then to do it twice in 6 days... amazing.

Defo-skitso
5-4-13, 22:40
I was a similar age, remember it so well. Was a reflected shot that crept in. Thought Brucie was going to get it.

Defo-skitso
5-4-13, 22:41
Deflected

longstebe
6-4-13, 00:36
I dont recall the date but I do remember that stat very well.

redhoops
6-4-13, 02:05
I loved Charlie, if he'd moved here he would have been an all time great,and stayed fit. Stupid move to the London scene killed a truely great talent.His final 18 months at Celtic were better than Larsson at his best. IMO.

Wasted.

aylesbyred
6-4-13, 08:54
26 years now. I still cant think of April 5th without thinking of that match...

Apart from 2012 :)

Darrren1
6-4-13, 20:59
Apart from 2012 :)

I think I was too busy that day to post - but it would have been in my thoughts. :crying

Darrren1
5-4-14, 03:35
Just who does Charlie Nicholas think he is?

redhoops
5-4-14, 04:00
Listened to it live on radio 2. Was a strange one for me as in after Kenny , Charlie was favourite ever player . Why he picked Arsenal over us still annoys me. Was gutted we lost but pleased for him.

Wish I remember which former player of ours who played that game and said that was when our decline started. It was a fascinating take on things too. I will investigate.

gedzredz
5-4-14, 07:43
I can't believe it's 4 years ago that I replied to this thread, back then I lamented United's dominance, hopefully the tide has turned in our favour again!:scarf

aylesbyred
5-4-14, 20:11
What happened to 2012s bump lol??

SuarumanTheRed
5-4-14, 20:44
I was born 2 days later.

Darrren1
6-4-15, 04:37
It's a few hours late as I was too busy to post yesterday... but the anniversary has come round once again.

God, I really hate Arsenal at the moment. :(

Defo-skitso
6-4-15, 07:43
I hate them too. But bad things need to happen for good things to occur.

I remember it well, we had won the double the season before and then won nowt losing to arsenal in the final of the league cup.

But we then signed Barnes, Aldridge, Beardsley and Houghton which is still the best LFC team I have seen from a footballing sense.

redhoops
6-4-15, 07:58
It's a few hours late as I was too busy to post yesterday... but the anniversary has come round once again.

God, I really hate Arsenal at the moment. :(

You ok this morning ? It's looking like interweb self harming.

Darrren1
6-4-15, 23:51
You ok this morning ? It's looking like interweb self harming.

:D

Yeah it felt a bit like that.

Darrren1
4-4-16, 23:32
The fateful day is almost upon us once again.

29 years now...

Mrs He..eghhhh
4-4-16, 23:42
The fateful day is almost upon us once again.

29 years now...
And how old and worn out are you Now table man?

Did you even know you were going to be a table man and good at it?

Darrren1
4-4-16, 23:59
And how old and worn out are you Now table man?

Did you even know you were going to be a table man and good at it?

You really must stop flirting with me like this.

And you need to improve your chat-up lines.

Eggz
5-4-16, 00:08
I was sat in a row in front of Russ Abbot in Wembley

Rubbish result but oh what an atmosphere

Mrs He..eghhhh
5-4-16, 00:09
You really must stop flirting with me like this.

And you need to improve your chat-up lines.

Trust me,the attraction is natural.

Darrren1
5-4-16, 03:04
I was sat in a row in front of Russ Abbot in Wembley

Rubbish result but oh what an atmosphere

:D

Trust me,the attraction is natural.

Natural, but certainly not mutual.

Daymo68
5-4-16, 07:20
Remember it very well.

Was there at Wembley as an 18 year old couldn't believe it. This was a big football news event.

Sad day :(

Defo-skitso
5-4-16, 07:24
It then happened a few weeks after I think against morwich

Darrren1
5-4-16, 12:49
It then happened a few weeks after I think against morwich

Read the final line of the OP.

Defo-skitso
5-4-16, 22:02
Read the final line of the OP.

Yes indeed. We all knew rushie was going end of season. I remember losing that record felt epic at the time.

LordJamieOfCarragher
5-4-16, 22:38
I was there as well. :(

Perry Groves changed the match for Arsenal when he came on as sub.

Sad times :(

Darrren1
6-4-16, 00:56
Yes indeed. We all knew rushie was going end of season. I remember losing that record felt epic at the time.

It was like we had a super-power - if Rush scored we couldn't lose. And then... we did.

Oh well, the record has now passed over to another Welshman.

Whenever Danny Ward scores, we never lose. Actually, whenever Danny Ward plays, we never lose. :)

Sad times :(

Yeah. Rushie record RIP.

Darrren1
5-4-17, 00:30
It's now 30 years of hurt...