PDA

View Full Version : hodgson wants young to lead anfield revival

bonou2
3-7-10, 20:36
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1291775/Roy-Hodgson-wants-Ashley-Young-lead-Anfield-revival.html

fernandothelegend
3-7-10, 20:39
Really talented player but you'd be talking 25 million.

B-o-B
3-7-10, 20:41
if he didn't come with the O'Neil/Aston Villa inflated transfer fee he'd be a really good signing.
As it is, we'd be better off looking to spend that money elsewhere on a similar kind of player for a fraction of the money

kopitecrash
3-7-10, 20:42
Not happening.

brummiered01
3-7-10, 20:43
No chance of that happening

jonsonos
3-7-10, 20:44

Thats my hope...

RhysLFC1495
3-7-10, 20:46
Again, theres Gilberto Silva in that article, I think we will get him

Young? Hmmm

If they are quotes from Roy, then you never know

Mike90
3-7-10, 20:47
Football manager signing this.

Never going to happen in real life.

bonou2
3-7-10, 20:52
only way i can see this happening is when we sell masch and use the money for young

lizred
3-7-10, 20:54
Again, theres Gilberto Silva in that article, I think we will get him

Young? Hmmm

If they are quotes from Roy, then you never know

Goodness I thought he was a carthorse when he played for Arsenal - how old is he??

Yesil-ver Linings
3-7-10, 21:00
Goodness I thought he was a carthorse when he played for Arsenal - how old is he??

That was Willie Young :rolleyes::D

KopWaa
3-7-10, 21:01
Goodness I thought he was a carthorse when he played for Arsenal - how old is he?? Yes me too, i think we can do better than G.Silva but his name seems to be popping up everywhere, i'm worried think its crazy unless he's free and doesn't demand a massive wage but surely he'll need replacing in a year:confused: Rather Scott Parker. Ha only re reading the thread name i thought it was young as in youth Embarrassing!

RhysLFC1495
3-7-10, 21:04

32/33?

I think he'll be a good, cheap, solid option in our financial mess, and maybe he'll teach Lucas a few tricks?:scarf

Jaylfc
3-7-10, 21:06
Think young is a cracking player, but like others cant see this happening any time soon.

KopWaa
3-7-10, 21:10
32/33?

I think he'll be a good, cheap, solid option in our financial mess, and maybe he'll teach Lucas a few tricks?:scarf if he comes in then hope we sell Lucas, i know he busts his chops for us but my god he is poor.

RhysLFC1495
3-7-10, 21:11
if he comes in then hope we sell Lucas, i know he busts his chops for us but my god he is poor.

We did see the real Lucas Leiva against Benfica

Attacking, won a penalty, and scored. (or against Atletico)

But I think we're converting him into a CDM

KopWaa
3-7-10, 21:11
Think young is a cracking player, but like others cant see this happening any time soon. If we have the money Young will come i believe, its not as far off as people reckon. i would rather James Milner. I know its Aston Vlla again but what do people think of John Carew, i'd like him good goalscorer and holds play up well.

ToTaLxTc
3-7-10, 21:12
They obviously mean Will Young - he's probably the only one we can afford :D

RhysLFC1495
3-7-10, 21:12
If we have the money Young will come i believe, its not as far off as people reckon.

Me too

If you believe we have 15m, plus 5/6 from Yossi

Masch looks to be going

Think it may be true?

KopWaa
3-7-10, 21:15
We did see the real Lucas Leiva against Benfica

Attacking, won a penalty, and scored. (or against Atletico)

But I think we're converting him into a CDM Yet another player played out of position so? we will see a completely different set of players in their proper positions:D

RhysLFC1495
3-7-10, 21:16
Yet another player played out of position so? we will see a completely different set of players in their proper positions:D

I'd like to see people's views of Dirk next season

KopWaa
3-7-10, 21:18
Me too

If you believe we have 15m, plus 5/6 from Yossi

Masch looks to be going

Think it may be true? Thats my thinking too.

KopWaa
3-7-10, 21:20
I'd like to see people's views of Dirk next season i want to see Roy's view, i'm not Dirk's biggest fan on the right mid but i think he is good upfront and wins alot in the air, i think we could possibly see the best of him.

Jaylfc
3-7-10, 21:21

Clean slate for everyone next season for me..... except riera.

RhysLFC1495
3-7-10, 21:21
Clean slate for everyone next season for me..... except riera.
Indeedy
:scarf

KopWaa
3-7-10, 21:22
Clean slate for everyone next season for me..... except riera. Yea i like that, clean slate is true. Add itandje to the Riera list.

RhysLFC1495
3-7-10, 21:23
Yea i like that, clean slate is true. Add itandje to the Riera list.

And Voronin...:tumbleweed

fernandothelegend
3-7-10, 21:28

I'm hoping to see the Dirk that arrived in 06 who drew early comparisons with mark hughes.

KopWaa
3-7-10, 21:31
And Voronin...:tumbleweed Sorry to burst your bubble but Voronin is in Russia(with love i don't think so:D)

RhysLFC1495
3-7-10, 21:34
Sorry to burst your bubble but Voronin is in Russia(with love i don't think so:D)

Noooo:crying:D

ScouserHU
3-7-10, 21:35
It's really interesting to see Hodgson sharing his views. I'm really used to Rafa's talking and now finally we can hear some important things from our new manager.

King7Dalglish
3-7-10, 21:41
he does say about adding more homegrown players which is a plus even if we may not get young

RhysLFC1495
3-7-10, 21:44
he does say about adding more homegrown players which is a plus even if we may not get young

Zamora?:eek:

Fowi
3-7-10, 21:47
I fully endorse the idea of selling a few defensive players, replacing them with cheaper options and spending money on attacking players.

That being said I think Young will cost a whole lot, but I've always been a fan and I think if you play him on the left he will perform. He's also at that age where you can expect him to work towards his peak couple of seasons.

Though Roy never really mentions Young. He only speaks of the importance of having more British players.

Carramac
3-7-10, 22:06
I fully endorse the idea of selling a few defensive players, replacing them with cheaper options and spending money on attacking players.

That being said I think Young will cost a whole lot, but I've always been a fan and I think if you play him on the left he will perform. He's also at that age where you can expect him to work towards his peak couple of seasons.

Though Roy never really mentions Young. He only speaks of the importance of having more British players.

I concur, you can look at Spain with Biscuits. He's by no means a top draw DM but Spain get by as a unit. You can say the same about many other teams to be honest.

I like Young in the Premiership for sure and think for that reason alone hes worth paying perhaps 15m for, but at the top level he's a real bottler. looked awful for England, not sure how well he would cope in the CL too not that were in it :D

KopWaa
3-7-10, 22:11

Though Roy never really mentions Young. He only speaks of the importance of having more British players. I think its best to have more British players to get us back to basics and restore our traditions and we don't have half of our playing staff heading off on long flights to play for their national team. i think any idea people had of what players we were possibly after when Rafa was in charge, those ideas need to be shelved, possibly more british and european players, i would love 1 or 2 Germans their discipline is incredible.

Stan85
3-7-10, 22:12
Would be very happy if we got him, but he will most likely be out of our price range unless his contract is running out soon or something?

Maybe we could trade a player with them to get him.. We are definitely going to have to buy at least one winger though.

B-o-B
3-7-10, 22:13
Football manager signing this.

Never going to happen in real life.

why does every transfer suggestion instantly have to be compared to video games for some people?? :confused:

Did we really pick up Jovanovich and Maxi on frees, or were those just FM transfers also?? :eek:

shody1976
3-7-10, 22:52
I was thinking about this one the other day, young on the left and Maxi on the right with Aquilani in the hole behind Torres - perfect.

B-o-B
3-7-10, 23:45
I was thinking about this one the other day, young on the left and Maxi on the right with Aquilani in the hole behind Torres - perfect.

Maxi on the wing is not 'perfect'... :tumbleweed

Mr-Rager
3-7-10, 23:52
I do like Ashley Young - he's been a bit streaky while he's been at Villa and didn't have a great season but I still think he could excel at Liverpool under Roy Hodgson. I think he's as good a crosser of a ball - static or moving - as there is in the Premier League and can do it on either wing, and Torres would really benefit from having more than one wide player capable of putting the ball on his head. He'd also fit our counter attacking style.

Money is certainly an issue for us, but like I said before he's coming off an underwhelming season and, after sales, I certainly don't think he'd be out of our price range (especially since the big boys are more inclined to go after Milner). The loon of a manager that he's working under may be an issue, but if he has the balls to hand in a transfer request, who knows?

JWhitelaw
4-7-10, 00:25
if he comes in then hope we sell Lucas, i know he busts his chops for us but my god he is poor.

Gilberto silva is not an ideal addition to the squad.

Never-Boycott-Alone
4-7-10, 00:43
Aston Villa winger Ashley Young is top of Roy Hodgson's wishlist as he tries to add British players to his Liverpool team.

Hodgson, who has strongly denied that he is not a big enough name to persuade Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres to stay, will try to find out this week if Villa manager Martin O'Neill is willing to let Young leave.
Liverpool bound?: Ashley Young is a target for Roy Hodgson at Liverpool
The winger, who celebrates his 25th birthday on Friday, made a big early impact at Villa following a 10million move from Watford in 2007.
But inconsistency last season meant he missed out on going to the World Cup with England.
Liverpool have sold Yossi Benayoun to Chelsea for 6.5m and replaced him with 29-year-old Serbia World Cup player Milan Jovanovic, a free agent. Hodgson could also sell Javier Mascherano to Barcelona for 25m and bring in Brazil's Gilberto Silva at a fraction of the price.

He said: 'We would be foolish not to be aware of the importance of homegrown players with the way UEFA and Premier League rules are going. Otherwise we're going to struggle to get our squad numbers together.

'I think the club have been trying to do that already with younger players like Jonjo Shelvey and Raheem Sterling but it takes time for them to come through so we might have to go into the transfer market.'
Hodgson is anxious to sort out the futures of Torres and Gerrard but if the Liverpool and England skipper decides to join Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid, Liverpool want Holland forward Rafael van der Vaart in part-exchange.
The manager turned down the chance to sign Jovanovic for a fee when he was at Fulham but sees him as a good capture on a free transfer.

He said: 'We have furnished the World Cup with more players than any other team but looking at the squad at Melwood, it did seem very small in terms of seniors.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1291775/Roy-Hodgson-wants-Ashley-Young-lead-Anfield-revival.html#ixzz0sfLZG11k

Typical daily mail. No direct quotes, no sources, nothing but a title..

Mike90
4-7-10, 00:44
http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=181282

RedBaros
4-7-10, 00:48
Please put the Daily Mail link at the top next time so I know not to bother, thanks.

Daily ****** Mail, what's with people posting that garbage? :confused:

Paullfc1976
4-7-10, 00:52
Please put the Daily Mail link at the top next time so I know not to bother, thanks.

Daily ****** Mail, what's with people posting that garbage? :confused:

Boredom?

tobitrice
4-7-10, 00:52
I think ashley young is alright, but i hope this link isnt true. 1. I never want us to cross transfer swords with o'neill ever again. 2. Young will be massively overpriced.

RedBaros
4-7-10, 00:54
Lack of being breast fed?

Ah right!

Never-Boycott-Alone
4-7-10, 00:55
Boredom?

Lol. the edit wasnt needed. It wasnt an attack, was it?

I can take a joke.

Anyhow. Its news, regardless. so why not post it - I didnt see a duplicate thread though. sorry

RedBaros
4-7-10, 00:59
Lol. the edit wasnt needed. It wasnt an attack, was it?

I can take a joke.

Anyhow. Its news, regardless. so why not post it - I didnt see a duplicate thread though. sorry

It's not news if the Daily ****** Mail reports it, it's ****, usually with no quotes or **** all worth knowing. I might sound angry with all the expletives but I'm not, I just don't get why so many people use links to that asswipe rag, then say at the end there's no quotes or anythin so it's probably crap.
Seriously, why bother?

Mike90
4-7-10, 01:02
This thread should have been merged by now.

All there no MOD's around?

Never-Boycott-Alone
4-7-10, 01:03
This thread should have been merged by now.

All there no MOD's around?

Prob clubbing.

Yesil-ver Linings
4-7-10, 01:14
Prob clubbing.

Seals...

RedBaros
4-7-10, 01:17
Seals...

Nice!

:D

slimman
4-7-10, 02:04
:rolleyes:

Like the Barry transfer, Villa would love to do business with us. Just never going to happen.

GordonBennett
4-7-10, 02:28
we got two chances:

1. None

and

2. **** all

RyanBabylon
4-7-10, 02:51
Would be awesome. Even better, replace Maxi with Arda ;)

FistofRage
4-7-10, 03:30
Seals...

Prefer it if they were clubbing Seal instead.

FistofRage
4-7-10, 03:31
we got two chances:

1. None

and

2. **** all

If we didn't have bad luck, we'd have no luck at all.:D

LiverpoolRealist
4-7-10, 03:39

Thats my hope...

Jonsonos, I'm with you on this one.

LiverpoolRealist
4-7-10, 03:57
I concur, you can look at Spain with Biscuits. He's by no means a top draw DM but Spain get by as a unit. You can say the same about many other teams to be honest.

I like Young in the Premiership for sure and think for that reason alone hes worth paying perhaps 15m for, but at the top level he's a real bottler. looked awful for England, not sure how well he would cope in the CL too not that were in it :D

I agree with the bolded area.

I am not the biggest fan of Young. He's a one dimentional pacey winger. Run down the left, cut onto his right and cross. Don't get me wrong, he's decent, but at the highest level, I'm not sure.

I look at players' performances against the top teams and I've never seen him put in a good performance against the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Manure or even Spurs or City.

I remember in the 08/09 season when Mecheda scored the winner for Manure. In the last 25/30 mins the game was wide open. He and Agbonlahor had so many opportunities to kill the game but didn't have the ability to do so. It's an attackers dream to have games like that but I was so disappointed (although not surprised) with their performance. He has pace to kill but not the ability to get past the grandad that is "Ratboy" Gary Neville.

I'm not the biggest fan of Milner either but I'd much prefer us to spend our money on him. Or even use the transfer money (20-25m being quoted...ouch) on Joe Coles wages.

50P-WSTB-Head
4-7-10, 04:05

I am not the biggest fan of Young. He's a one dimentional pacey winger. Run down the left, cut onto his right and cross. Don't get me wrong, he's decent, but at the highest level, I'm not sure.

I look at players' performances against the top teams and I've never seen him put in a good performance against the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Manure or even Spurs or City.

I remember in the 08/09 season when Mecheda scored the winner for Manure. In the last 25/30 mins the game was wide open. He and Agbonlahor had so many opportunities to kill the game but didn't have the ability to do so. It's an attackers dream to have games like that but I was so disappointed (although not surprised) with their performance. He has pace to kill but not the ability to get past the grandad that is "Ratboy" Gary Neville.

I'm not the biggest fan of Milner either but I'd much prefer us to spend our money on him. Or even us the transfer money (20-25m being quoted...ouch) on Joe Coles wages.

Anyone in there right mind would take Young over Cole if only because of his age he is still learning the lad has great potential.

LiverpoolRealist
4-7-10, 04:12
Anyone in there right mind would take Young over Cole if only because of his age he is still learning the lad has great potential.

I'm not sure about that. If both were out of contract it'll be interesting to see who the big clubs go for first.

Baring his injuries last season, Joe Cole is proven at the very highest level. His technical ability is much better than that of Young. I've always thought, if Cole was a player born in South America or the continent we'll be looking at a world beater. I just don't think he's ever reached his potential. That's another story all together.

Mr-Rager
4-7-10, 04:31

I'm not the biggest fan of Milner either but I'd much prefer us to spend our money on him. Or even use the transfer money (20-25m being quoted...ouch) on Joe Coles wages.

While I generally agree with a lot of what you say, he played key roles last season against us at Anfield and against United at Old Trafford. I also think that having players like Torres and Gerrard around can bring the best out of players. Last season he was disappointing but he was absolutely brilliant in 2008/09; perhaps things are getting a little bit stale for him at Villa. He has a good combination of speed and technical ability and does a lot of work tracking back for Villa. At 24 there's certainly time to develop his game and I think that he'd be worth a gamble at, say, 20m. I wouldn't want to see MON bully us into paying over the odds though (given the Barry saga it might seem likely, but perhaps he'd be less stubborn in doing business with Roy than Rafa).

jamiechloe
4-7-10, 06:48
Have the Daily Mail ever got a transfer scoop correct????

brummiered01
4-7-10, 11:14
when he is on form he is a great player, but he was very average last season.

I think his game is a bit limited if i'm honest. He would be an improvement on what we already have, but I don't think he'd be worth the 25-30 million that he would cost

StainableKeepo
4-7-10, 11:48
I can definitely see the transfer of Ashley Young to Liverpool taking place.

Our manager has publicly declared that our team needs more British players. Liverpool clearly need more pace and invention in the final third of the pitch, especially following the sale of Yossi Benayoun to Chelsea. When you look at the British players who tick the boxes, who are you left with that could feasibly be available?

Joe Cole? James Milner? Ashley Young? I really can't think of any other British players that have either the quality or potential to make the step up to Liverpool.

Personally, I hope it does happen. I think when you take into account the chronic lack of pace throughout our team it makes it so much harder for us to break stubborn and compact defences down. If you have a player capable of travelling with the ball at speed and committing defenders then it creates so much more space. Also, this particular player happens to deliver real quality into the box for his striker(s). I consider him to be a little inconsistent (based on last seasons performances) but a big move to a big club with a manager like Roy might just help develop the mental part of his game. I think if he was given the opportunity to make this move he would do without any hesitation.

Speaking of inconsistency, some of our players displayed far more of that last season that the aforementioned Young.

Graggster
4-7-10, 12:06
I believe we stand a good chance of signing Young for around the 20mil mark.. If we get Cole aswell it will be the added quality attacking players we are looking for.

Liverdinner
4-7-10, 12:08
I really hope not.

Might as well throw 20 mil down the drain.

jonsonos
4-7-10, 12:16

Just out of interest how old do you think Ashley Young is?

TwoDogsRichard
4-7-10, 14:08
Have the Daily Mail ever got a transfer scoop correct????

My thought precisely!

fernandothelegend
4-7-10, 14:23
If we could get him for 20 million or less i'd be for it btu after MON called him up there with messi and ronaldo i expect he will be massively over priced.

tonylet
4-7-10, 14:32
One very very important thing we always seem to forget. We need pace! I'm tired of watching Kuyt, Riera, Lucas and similar. There's no pace in this team. I'd take Ashly Young anyday. He didnt have his best seaosn last year, but he is still young and was magnificent in his first season. The potential is there and I am of the opinion we have the manager who can get the best out of a player like him. Bad season means realistic price if we do decide to go for him.

Stan85
4-7-10, 14:32
If we could get him for 20 million or less i'd be for it btu after MON called him up there with messi and ronaldo i expect he will be massively over priced.

MON didn't do that did he? :D

brummiered01
4-7-10, 14:35

He sure did, said Young is in the same bracket as those two

irishYNWA

He sure did. Was quiet funny when he did to be fair. :D

Stan85
One very very important thing we always seem to forget. We need pace! I'm tired of watching Kuyt, Riera, Lucas and similar. There's no pace in this team. I'd take Ashly Young anyday. He didnt have his best seaosn last year, but he is still young and was magnificent in his first season. The potential is there and I am of the opinion we have the manager who can get the best out of a player like him. Bad season means realistic price if we do decide to go for him.

We do need some pace! You never know they might let him go for 20m or like I said earlier, trade a player with them.

Regarding the pace thing, Babel springs to mind and it will be interesting to see how he performs next season under Roy.

Stan85
4-7-10, 14:38
He sure did, said Young is in the same bracket as those two

He sure did. Was quiet funny when he did to be fair. :D

Hahaha, that just confirms my initial thoughts, that he is off his trolley.

We'll never get Young now haha.

irishYNWA
4-7-10, 14:39

I would rather Milner but he will probably look for 40 million for him :eek:

Stan85
4-7-10, 14:47
I would rather Milner but he will probably look for 40 million for him :eek:

I do like Milner, but I'm not sure about playing him on the left side. Ashley's two footed-ness is a bonus.

Plus like you say Milner at the present time will probably cost a lot more. I'd prefer Young if we had the chance.

If we did have 20m to throw at a winger, how about Lennon? SWP might be available cheap too...

LLS
4-7-10, 14:51
when he is on form he is a great player, but he was very average last season.

I think his game is a bit limited if i'm honest. He would be an improvement on what we already have, but I don't think he'd be worth the 25-30 million that he would cost

This is what I think.

Would definitely be better than what we already have, but nowhere near value for money. Surely we could get Mata or Krasic for that sort of money.

FernandoNo9
4-7-10, 14:53
Yes me too, i think we can do better than G.Silva but his name seems to be popping up everywhere, i'm worried think its crazy unless he's free and doesn't demand a massive wage but surely he'll need replacing in a year:confused: Rather Scott Parker. Ha only re reading the thread name i thought it was young as in youth Embarrassing!

I'd rather take a part ex for Mascherano... something like 20 + Cambiasso .. similar player, but better on the ball. However, i'd love it if Masch stays

brummiered01
4-7-10, 15:08

i'm sure Phil Thompson then referred to him as Cristiano Messi on Soccer Saturday :D

Themessangernr1
31-3-12, 00:37
interesting that Roy also wanted Young here.

Captain Mauser
31-3-12, 00:38
interesting that Roy also wanted Young here.

Why?

Themessangernr1
31-3-12, 00:42
Why?

and Carroll as well. so that possibly means that our scouts are the ones who adviced the Carroll and Young deals rather than Comolli or Kenny.altough we never signed Young offcource

-Monk-
31-3-12, 00:45
and Carroll as well. so that possibly means that our scouts are the ones who adviced the Carroll and Young deals rather than Comolli or Kenny.altough we never signed Young offcource

This means **** all.

Full of **** as always.

Kenny ********** up with Carroll deal with it.

Young rejected us, deal with it.