PDA

View Full Version : I`m worried.I think we all should be.

SWD262
19-7-10, 15:34
I like Roy Hodgson.I think he is a very good manager.But i feared when Purslow hired him as manager that he was just a yes man.This past week my fears have grown.

Remy deal is by all accounts is a done deal.Yet Roy has admitted he hasn`t even seen him play.Only a couple of days ago Roy said he has only had a brief chat with Cole and no approach had been made.Today we sign him.

Yossi was sold before Roy had sat down and the Insua deal has been more or less done for a few weeks.

I gather Purslow is handling transfers.What does this mean? Does Roy tell him who he wants and Purslow gets them or is it like Real Madrid where Purslow is just buying who he thinks we should buy?

At the end of the day Purslow is a banker.He has no football background.Do the Mancs have a window cleaner buying players for them?

I`m sorry but i`m not going to fall for a media signing.The sooner the cowboys and their hanger ons go the better.

YNWA

Whatusmoking
19-7-10, 15:37
I get the feeling that Roy was playing the media. I think he knows exactly who he is getting and what sort of player they are.

He's not going to say oh yes we want him and Joe Cole and whoever else, cos it might alert other clubs

SixYardBoxer
19-7-10, 15:38
I get the feeling that Roy was playing the media. I think he knows exactly who he is getting and what sort of player they are.

He's not going to say oh yes we want him and Joe Cole and whoever else, cos it might alert other clubs

this. totally.

jamiechloe
19-7-10, 15:38
I like Roy Hodgson.I think he is a very good manager.But i feared when Purslow hired him as manager that he was just a yes man.This past week my fears have grown.

Remy deal is by all accounts is a done deal.Yet Roy has admitted he hasn`t even seen him play.Only a couple of days ago Roy said he has only had a brief chat with Cole and no approach had been made.Today we sign him.

Yossi was sold before Roy had sat down and the Insua deal has been more or less done for a few weeks.

I gather Purslow is handling transfers.What does this mean? Does Roy tell him who he wants and Purslow gets them or is it like Real Madrid where Purslow is just buying who he thinks we should buy?

At the end of the day Purslow is a banker.He has no football background.Do the Mancs have a window cleaner buying players for them?

I`m sorry but i`m not going to fall for a media signing.The sooner the cowboys and their hanger ons go the better.

YNWA

Your not serious are you...You honestly think Roys gonna come here and just get what he's given...and if purlow is picking then so far he aint done a bad job..Give him the england job!!!!!

:D

TwoDogsRichard
19-7-10, 15:39
Not the first thread on this subject for a start. Secondly Roy is being very cagey when questioned about transfers but is almost certainly involved in identifying targets. Obviously there was some carry over from Rafa's time (Benayoun, Insua etc) but that doesn't mean that Purslow is calling the shots. Perhaps you'd prefer our manager to conduct his business via the press all the time like Mr Redknapp?

Brego
Call it a media signing all you want but he is still a ****** top player.

Lets give Roy time to make his personal mark before jumping to conclusions about his input

nash
this. totally.

^^

Can we all be happy just for a day and not read too much into stuff, we have signed a very good player for free in front of two clubs offering CL football!!!

That's a massive statement of intent imo and has relieved allot of my fears

SWD262
19-7-10, 15:40

What just in case they didn`t know Cole was available? lol

I would agree if there was a transfer fee involved but Cole is a free agent.Clubs who wanted would of been in touch with his agent by now.

Stevie Jesus
don't be silly.. Roy knew exactly what he saying =D

BoDiddley
Your not serious are you...You honestly think Roys gonna come here and just get what he's given...and if purlow is picking then so far he aint done a bad job..Give him the england job!!!!!

Yowser, great suggestion

Con-Con
19-7-10, 15:41
well at the end of the day purslow isnt a football manager and big roy isnt a banker..so roy tells purslow who his targets are roy might ring that player up tell him this then purslow deals with the numbers

done

BoDiddley
19-7-10, 15:42

YNWA

Ah the ego,

it's over mate - time to move on

Mountainman
19-7-10, 15:42
Roy Hodgson may have the demeanour of an old English uncle in the country side. But he is no fool. He is a massively experienced manager and able to handle himself in these matters, including avoiding creating media focus on what he is really after.

jamiechloe
19-7-10, 15:43
[/B]

What just in case they didn`t know Cole was available? lol

I would agree if there was a transfer fee involved but Cole is a free agent.Clubs who wanted would of been in touch with his agent by now.

So what would you have him do..send in a list of all the players he wants to skysports news and ask if it can be read as part of the headlines at the top of every hour!!!!

SWD262
19-7-10, 15:43
Not the first thread on this subject for a start. Secondly Roy is being very cagey when questioned about transfers but is almost certainly involved in identifying targets. Obviously there was some carry over from Rafa's time (Benayoun, Insua etc) but that doesn't mean that Purslow is calling the shots. Perhaps you'd prefer our manager to conduct his business via the press all the time like Mr Redknapp?

No but i want the manager to decide who comes and goes.So far it seems Purslow is making these decisions.

And on the Joe Cole signing i feel he could become another Harry Kewell.Hope i`m wrong but the last 2 years he has hardly played.

Signing names don`t make you better.

josiewales
19-7-10, 15:44
Not often I'd say this, but that's basically a stupid post imo.
Of all the issues at this club that are currently worth worrying about, this isn't one.
The very idea that we'd let CP source and buy players is stupid and I fail to see why anyone would arrive at that conclusion, based on recent events.

It really is time for people to stop spouting this kind of rubbish imo.

Seanosdelgardo

YNWA

If Rafa did that you'd be saying he was playing the media....Roy denies all knowledge and he's being kept in the dark and doesnt know what going on.

Anyone ever thought that in the time that Hodgson was a candidate before he took the job, he assesed possible weakness's and identified players he might like, and when given the job he said "go get me these players"?

LordJamieOfCarragher
[/B]

No but i want the manager to decide who comes and goes.So far it seems Purslow is making these decisions.

And on the Joe Cole signing i feel he could become another Harry Kewell.Hope i`m wrong but the last 2 years he has hardly played.

That's the spirit! :rolleyes:

kotkansiipi
19-7-10, 15:45

YNWA

If we are waiting until Roy sees possible transfer targets play then we will not be able to get team together in time ahead next season.

Seanosdelgardo
19-7-10, 15:47
If we are waiting until Roy sees possible transfer targets play then we will not be able to get team together in time ahead next season.

Its not like he's been in the game for 30 years or anything, probably knows a lot about most players, and has been at the world cup watching players all summer at all is it.

Nope, its a conspiracy theory I tells ya........

Sneets

YNWA

I think you are quite thick.

Stevie Jesus
ridiculous post

Hodgson is in complete control, players aren't being sold against his will, and while Jovanovic wasn't his signing, I'm sure he is happy with it.

Cole was definetely Hodgson's signing.. no way would he be here with Benitez in charge.

I like Roy's approach. He's given the control to the board over club matters above his head (while Rafa tried to control LFC completely) and he is just going to focus on what he does best - playing good football.

If he can make Bobby Zamora into a 20+ striker, imagine what he can do with Cole/Torres/Gerrard/Aqua.. even Babel + N'Gog!

TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel
19-7-10, 15:52
^^

Can we all be happy just for a day and not read too much into stuff, we have signed a very good player for free in front of two clubs offering CL football!!!

That's a massive statement of intent imo and has relieved allot of my fears

ab-so-luuuutely spot on - and far-caking amazing deal.

Maybe it is just us supporters that have been all doom and gloom and the end of the world is nigh.

Top players STILL want to play at LFC, which with all the downs and downs we have experienced over the last 12 months is something I think we all lost track of.

Gazza74
19-7-10, 15:53
Purslow is not deciding who we buy and sell, all that has happened is we've changed manager during a busy summer period and the old one was still working upto the day he left with deals being worked on and the new one has then come in and has to take these over at whatever point they are at.

Roy's comments should be taken with a pinch of salt as he's most likely just playing everything down in the media regarding possible signings so it doesn't scupper any deal.

We've got Cole and it will be down to Roy wanting him i'm sure of that and if we get Remy i would bet again it's down to Roy, regardless of what he said about knowing little about him.

It could just be him being canny again with the media and he's spoke to the scouts, got all the info, seen what he needs to see, and is fully happy for the club to go and get Remy.

In no way is he a yes man at all, all that has happened is we've changed manager and there is always issues when it comes to transfers in and out as the club doesn't just stop because we're changing manager and upto when we sack one and get the other one.

It happens at all clubs and it's nothing new.

vishvishred
19-7-10, 15:54

YNWA

There is always one isnt there to try and put a downer on things. I am soo happy Cole is a quality player and this will be a massive boost. Cant everyone be happy for once. :scarf

TwoDogsRichard
19-7-10, 15:54
ridiculous post

Hodgson is in complete control, players aren't being sold against his will, and while Jovanovic wasn't his signing, I'm sure he is happy with it.

Cole was definetely Hodgson's signing.. no way would he be here with Benitez in charge.

I like Roy's approach. He's given the control to the board over club matters above his head (while Rafa tried to control LFC completely) and he is just going to focus on what he does best - playing good football.

If he can make Bobby Zamora into a 20+ striker, imagine what he can do with Cole/Torres/Gerrard/Aqua.. even Babel + N'Gog!

Excellent post - have some rep :)

SWD262
19-7-10, 15:56
So what would you have him do..send in a list of all the players he wants to skysports news and ask if it can be read as part of the headlines at the top of every hour!!!!

Did i say that?

Everything points to Purslow having control on who comes and goes.Insua and Yossi leaving and the comments made about Remy and Cole.

If people are happy with a banker deciding who comes and goes then fine but my opinion it`s the managers job.

TwoDogsRichard
19-7-10, 15:56
[/B]

What makes you think that? Don't be fooled by what Roy says to the media - he's deliberately being low key so that we can get on with our business without alerting our rivals.

GordonBennett
19-7-10, 15:57
I think that it would be impressive to make people think negatively on a day where we sign Joe Cole.

Luca05-10-09
19-7-10, 15:58

YNWA

Why do some people even have to post negative threads on a day we sign a top top player from a rival club, blatantly rip them off (Yossi plus 6million For Joe), Why?? :mad:

BoDiddley
19-7-10, 16:00
Did i say that?

Everything points to Purslow having control on who comes and goes.Insua and Yossi leaving and the comments made about Remy and Cole.

If people are happy with a banker deciding who comes and goes then fine but my opinion it`s the managers job.

This is like something out of a science fiction movie where a mysterious cloud hangs over the town and people start acting strangely.

you can't possibly believe what you've just written, can you ?

why on earth would a man like the Hodge willingly make himself look stupid in the way you are suggesting ?
Money ?
What ?

Gazza74
19-7-10, 16:00
Everything points to Purslow having control on who comes and goes.

No, he's doing the deals the manager wants.

But we've changed manager so it causes a few issues.

SWD262
19-7-10, 16:01
I think you are quite thick.

I won`t tell you what i think.

Purslow is not deciding who we buy and sell, all that has happened is we've changed manager during a busy summer period and the old one was still working upto the day he left with deals being worked on and the new one has then come in and has to take these over at whatever point they are at.

Roy's comments should be taken with a pinch of salt as he's most likely just playing everything down in the media regarding possible signings so it doesn't scupper any deal.

We've got Cole and it will be down to Roy wanting him i'm sure of that and if we get Remy i would bet again it's down to Roy, regardless of what he said about knowing little about him.

It could just be him being canny again with the media and he's spoke to the scouts, got all the info, seen what he needs to see, and is fully happy for the club to go and get Remy.

In no way is he a yes man at all, all that has happened is we've changed manager and there is always issues when it comes to transfers in and out as the club doesn't just stop because we're changing manager and upto when we sack one and get the other one.

It happens at all clubs and it's nothing new.

A decent reply.Thank you.

Hope your right but until these owners leave i worry.

LordFunkicus
19-7-10, 16:02
As managing director, Purslow is sure to be involved with the negotiations regarding any transfers, but what is the evidence he's choosing which players the club signs rather than Roy?

Snippes
19-7-10, 16:02

Roy is no liar. He has no reason to play the media that way - there's no upside to signing a player you just told the world 48 hours ago you had barely heard of. All he needed to do was be coy the way he was about Cole.

If Roy says he knows nothing about Remy - then I believe him. Which is why I am not buying the notion that we have signed him already. Roy is too good for that.

Seanosdelgardo
19-7-10, 16:03
No, he's doing the deals the manager wants.

But we've changed manager so it causes a few issues.

You cant win mate, and you'll never convince him otherwise.

Because of the previous manager who wanted absolute power over everything people think thats the norm. The fact that every club in the premiership, with the exception of city, does things this way doesnt register.

The perfect example was always Wenger and Dein. Wenger identified the targets who he wanted and said who should leave, Dein did the deals. Wenger stayed out of it.

Seanosdelgardo
19-7-10, 16:04
Roy is no liar. He has no reason to play the media that way - there's no upside to signing a player you just told the world 48 hours ago you had barely heard of. All he needed to do was be coy the way he was about Cole.

If Roy says he knows nothing about Remy - then I believe him. Which is why I am not buying the notion that we have signed him already. Roy is too good for that.

Did he say he specifically hadn't heard of Remy, or was it a general "I havnt heard of some of the players being linked"??

-Tintin-
19-7-10, 16:06

Because of the previous manager who wanted absolute power over everything people think thats the norm. The fact that every club in the premiership, with the exception of city, does things this way doesnt register.

The perfect example was always Wenger and Dein. Wenger identified the targets who he wanted and said who should leave, Dein did the deals. Wenger stayed out of it.

Exactly.

Wenger would say 'Look, I need a left back. Here are 3 possible players'.

Dein would go buy them for him.

Just in that way I reckon Roy has lined up a few strikers who he wants, and says to Purslow "get me one of those".

Very rarely do teams say 'Oh I want Eto'o and that's all I want'. Only those with mega bucks can do that.

josiewales
19-7-10, 16:06
I won`t tell you what i think.

A decent reply.Thank you.

Hope your right but until these owners leave i worry.

This whole 'theory' has resulted in you making one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen on here tbh.
It's based on nothing more than your inept attempts to interpret a few comments made at press conferences recently and it's a massively negative and illogical leap at best.

It's a fairly standard way of operating at football clubs. And it's often a successful tactic when dealing with player signings when the manager lets the money men do the negatiations and gets on with managing the football.

Seriously, you need to get a grip and assess the facts for what they are. Instead of jumping to ridiculous conclusions.

SWD262
19-7-10, 16:09
Why do some people even have to post negative threads on a day we sign a top top player from a rival club, blatantly rip them off (Yossi plus 6million For Joe), Why?? :mad:

Don`t read the thread then.The title is clear.

I have no problem with that.But why were players sold before the manager was bought in? Why was a player lined up even though the manager has never seen him play? Why did the manager say only 48 hours ago that we haven`t approached Cole yet today he is a Liverpool player?

I knew i would take flak for this thread and i have many red boxes to confirm that BUT it needs to be made clear that the manager is deciding who comes and goes from the club.

Morsy
19-7-10, 16:11

That's because he's not Harry Redknapp ;)

Gazza74
19-7-10, 16:13
Roy is no liar. He has no reason to play the media that way

He may not have been lying.

When he arrived at Liverpool he may have known very little about Remy, but he may know everything now having spoke to the scouts, assessed everything etc etc and has ok'd the deal, but to the media he tells them what he originally thought before coming here.

Keep's it coy, the media and others are not sure, Purslow is getting the deal done and then, BANG, player is here and it's another success. It's not lying, it's being smart.

Rafa once said Robbie Keane was not leaving this club and then a day later or something he'd gone back to Spurs. Was Rafa a big fat liar??..No, he probably knew Spurs were in and negotiating and didn't want to ruin any possible deal to take the player back to them.

It's not a new thing what's happening here this summer, yet for some reason Purslow is the devil and Roy is just some gullible old fool dumbstruck as though he hasn't a scooby about football management. Not like he's been in it for 34 years is it.

SWD262
This whole 'theory' has resulted in you making one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen on here tbh.
It's based on nothing more than your inept attempts to interpret a few comments made at press conferences recently and it's a massively negative and illogical leap at best.

It's a fairly standard way of operating at football clubs. And it's often a successful tactic when dealing with player signings when the manager lets the money men do the negatiations and gets on with managing the football.

Seriously, you need to get a grip and assess the facts for what they are. Instead of jumping to ridiculous conclusions.

Sorry next time i`ll come on here and say everything is rosy and we going to win the league.Or maybe i will start some BS thread about knowing someone who inside the club who tells me the club is being sold to some super rich owners.

Yeah that`s the kind of thread people want to read despite the fact it`s BS.

This is a forum and i wanted to post my thoughts.Nothing wrong with that.

marty-b
Nothing like a bit of pessimism right after we sign a great player and things are looking good :rolleyes:

Roy's no mugg he knows who he's getting! End of

Morsy
19-7-10, 16:16
If CP was involved then i'm sorry but well done CP!! We just sold a 30 year old Yossi for 6 mill and got a 28 year old Joe Cole for FREE!!! How can you put any negative spin on it?? Please tell me how????

Snippes
19-7-10, 16:16
Did he say he specifically hadn't heard of Remy, or was it a general "I havnt heard of some of the players being linked"??

This is precisely what he said, word for word.....

"He's a player who was mentioned to me by the scouting department and a player the club were following before I came," Hodgson told his press conference in Switzerland.

"He's a player I know very little about. If I am going to be interested in a player I am going to have to watch him playing, study him and make judgments which I have not been able to."

He knows very little about the guy - other than what's been mentioned by the scouting crew.

Euro-77-78-81-84-05
19-7-10, 16:17
If this is how miserable the topic starter is, I wouldn't want to be sat near him at a funeral.

Bewdleyfan
19-7-10, 16:17
Roy has been very shrewd I believe, he was very coy on Cole and said he'd spoken to Joe a while back, but not since then. He's obviously given Purslow a list of players he wants to bring into the club and Purslow is working on those transfers, the way any club would run things.
But, Roy will also recieve suggestions on players from scouts and people inside the club who they deem good quality, i.e Remy. Roy once again stated when answering the media that, 'I have seen very little of him". I wouldn't be surprised if Roy has seen a lot of him, but is assessing other options. I'm sure if we do buy Remy, our boss will have the final say and agree that the purchase of Loic is what we need.

Seanosdelgardo
19-7-10, 16:19
This is precisely what he said, word for word.....

"He's a player who was mentioned to me by the scouting department and a player the club were following before I came," Hodgson told his press conference in Switzerland.

"He's a player I know very little about. If I am going to be interested in a player I am going to have to watch him playing, study him and make judgments which I have not been able to."

He knows very little about the guy - other than what's been mentioned by the scouting crew.

Fair doo's. Ta

Sneets
19-7-10, 16:19

Some people like to wallow in imagined misery. I used to have a wife like that, it is unbearable.

Snippes
19-7-10, 16:22
He may not have been lying.

When he arrived at Liverpool he may have known very little about Remy, but he may know everything now having spoke to the scouts, assessed everything etc etc and has ok'd the deal, but to the media he tells them what he originally thought before coming here.

Keep's it coy, the media and others are not sure, Purslow is getting the deal done and then, BANG, player is here and it's another success. It's not lying, it's being smart.

Rafa once said Robbie Keane was not leaving this club and then a day later or something he'd gone back to Spurs. Was Rafa a big fat liar??..No, he probably knew Spurs were in and negotiating and didn't want to ruin any possible deal to take the player back to them.

It's not a new thing what's happening here this summer, yet for some reason Purslow is the devil and Roy is just some gullible old fool dumbstruck as though he hasn't a scooby about football management. Not like he's been in it for 34 years is it.

Those quotes by Roy were made on Friday - not when he first arrived. Come on, even you said when we were discussing it on Friday that you did not expect the deal to happen in a couple of days if Roy didn't know about the player on Friday. On Friday, he said he had not had time to study the player to know more about him. On Friday he said this.

I know you trying to reach because you think it covers Roy in the event we do sign the player just days after Roy said he didn't know much about him. But there's no need for that. Roy said 2 days ago he hadn't had time to even look into who this guy was. Common sense suggests he is not signing this player any time soon - and I don't think he will. If he does....then I will have questions but I don't think he will. I have that much faith that he isn't that type of push over manager to sign a 10-12MM player that he doesn't know anything about.

BoDiddley
19-7-10, 16:22
Roy has been very shrewd I believe, he was very coy on Cole and said he'd spoken to Joe a while back, but not since then. He's obviously given Purslow a list of players he wants to bring into the club and Purslow is working on those transfers, the way any club would run things.
But, Roy will also recieve suggestions on players from scouts and people inside the club who they deem good quality, i.e Remy. Roy once again stated when answering the media that, 'I have seen very little of him". I wouldn't be surprised if Roy has seen a lot of him, but is assessing other options. I'm sure if we do buy Remy, our boss will have the final say and agree that the purchase of Loic is what we need.

Quite right. Purslow might have even suggested it.
"Hey Roy, I think we might be able to get Joe Cole, what to you think ?"
where's the issue ?

people are suggesting that Puslow has employed Joe Cole on Hick's instructions at 90k a week against the manager's wishes.

It's absurd

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
19-7-10, 16:23

David Gill signs players for the mancs.

Remind me of his footballing background?

GordonBennett
19-7-10, 16:24

Florentino Perez is a poor man's David Gill.

josiewales
19-7-10, 16:26
Sorry next time i`ll come on here and say everything is rosy and we going to win the league.Or maybe i will start some BS thread about knowing someone who inside the club who tells me the club is being sold to some super rich owners.

Yeah that`s the kind of thread people want to read despite the fact it`s BS.

This is a forum and i wanted to post my thoughts.Nothing wrong with that.

There's a lot wrong with it imo.
It's interesting that you use someone who genuinely had a source, however incorrect that source turned out to be, in an attempt to give some validity to your post.
The fact is that it's a complete flight of fancy, based on pure conjecture. And very illogical, defeatist conjecture at that.
You can cite your 'right to post' as often as you like. But that doesn't provide you with an excuse to post unsubstantiated nonsense like this.

The idea that Purslow is sourcing players is insane. Nothing more, nothing less. Just insane.

SWD262
19-7-10, 16:26

Fergie decides who comes and goes form Man U.

Seanosdelgardo
19-7-10, 16:27

[/B]

I have no problem with that.But why were players sold before the manager was bought in? Why was a player lined up even though the manager has never seen him play? Why did the manager say only 48 hours ago that we haven`t approached Cole yet today he is a Liverpool player?

I knew i would take flak for this thread and i have many red boxes to confirm that BUT it needs to be made clear that the manager is deciding who comes and goes from the club.

The only player sold before the manager was brought in was Benayoun and to be honest that deal wasnt finalised until after Roy had started. How do you know that Roy didnt speak to Yossi but Yossi's mind was made up? He didnt, and imo, shouldnt have to come out and explain anything to anyone.

Jova was done in the previous regime and a pre contract had been signed already so that was to do with Rafa, not Purslow.

With Joe Cole, he said he had spoken to Joe a while ago. That to me says he's explained to Cole his vision for the club and done his convincing work, and its now up to Purslow to ratify the deal. Why would Hodgson be involved in that. He never said we hadnt spoke to him.

For me, the manager IS deciding who comes and goes, but the beauty is, he's not making a big song and dance about it.

I just think your jumping on the "Purslow is the devil" bandwagon here, but if I'm wrong then fair doo's.

Seanosdelgardo
19-7-10, 16:29

As does Roy.....its the same system.

Gazza74
19-7-10, 16:30
Those quotes by Roy were made on Friday - not when he first arrived. Come on, even you said when we were discussing it on Friday that you did not expect the deal to happen in a couple of days if Roy didn't know about the player on Friday. On Friday, he said he had not had time to study the player to know more about him. On Friday he said this.

I know you trying to reach because you think it covers Roy in the event we do sign the player just days after Roy said he didn't know much about him. But there's no need for that. Roy said 2 days ago he hadn't had time to even look into who this guy was. Common sense suggests he is not signing this player any time soon - and I don't think he will. If he does....then I will have questions but I don't think he will. I have that much faith that he isn't that type of push over manager to sign a 10-12MM player that he doesn't know anything about.

Do you think Roy has spent the last 2 and a bit weeks since taking over not finding out every bit of info from the scouts and who they may have been looking at??

I doubt the press telling him on Friday was the first time he'd heard anything about Remy and the fact he said he'd spoken to the scouts about him tells me he will have asked them for all the info.

Now, whether he's looked at all that info on Remy yet we don't know, but whenever and if Remy signs you can be assured that Roy will have done what he said he needs to make a judgement, if he hasn't done that already but is just playing the press last Friday as i said.

He won't just have been sat on his arse playing poker on his pc you know since arriving, he'd have been getting upto speed on every single thing happening before he arrived and if Remy was someone Rafa wanted and was highly recommended by the scouts then Roy will speak to them, get all the info and decide if he wants him, same with all players.

I have no doubts at all that if we sign Remy it'll be on Roy's say-so and he'll have made all the judgements he said he needs to do that.

Players being signed solely on the scouts recommendations/reports happens all the time so that ain't an issue either.

-Deano-
19-7-10, 16:32

Fergie does not negotiate fees or wages does he, this is how most clubs are run in the Premier league.

You need to stop worrying about things that you have no proof exsists and jump on the band wagan and rejoice. :D

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
19-7-10, 16:33
If Joe Cole is a success does Purslow get the credit for the signing then?

SAB1977
19-7-10, 16:34
Purslow may be doing the negotiatins with clubs and players ,but does the op think that purslow is soley responsable for who comes in.With him being just a banker does the op think that he watches the cefax gossip column and reads the daily star then buys players that sound good?
Im sure there are loads of people behind the scene (scouts and advisers)telling him who they want.

Gazza74
19-7-10, 16:35

Imagine that...:D

You know that if any of these signings turn out great it'll defo be Roy who signed them, no doubts, if they flop, it's Purslow.

That said, Roy is in a win-win situation, so he'll be made up...:D

josiewales
19-7-10, 16:36

I'd like to have a look at Purslow's legs at some point.
I think there's a case for him being Player/Joint Manager.
I bet he's got a couple of seasons left in him.

SWD262
19-7-10, 16:36
There's a lot wrong with it imo.
It's interesting that you use someone who genuinely had a source, however incorrect that source turned out to be, in an attempt to give some validity to your post.
The fact is that it's a complete flight of fancy, based on pure conjecture. And very illogical, defeatist conjecture at that.
You can cite your 'right to post' as often as you like. But that doesn't provide you with an excuse to post unsubstantiated nonsense like this.

The idea that Purslow is sourcing players is insane. Nothing more, nothing less. Just insane.

"If you want to know about transfer targets, and how things are progressing, you'll have to ask (managing director) Christian Purslow because he's the man looking after those discussions, not me."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6268016,00.html

Now if i looked to much into those comments then sorry i`m wrong.But with Yossi and Insua deals lined up before Roy came here and Roy admitting he had never seen Remy play then you can see why i`m a little worried that Purslow is making footballing decisions .

josiewales
19-7-10, 16:37
"If you want to know about transfer targets, and how things are progressing, you'll have to ask (managing director) Christian Purslow because he's the man looking after those discussions, not me."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6268016,00.html

Now if i looked to much into those comments then sorry i`m wrong.But with Yossi and Insua deals lined up before Roy came here and Roy admitting he had never seen Remy play then you can see why i`m a little worried that Purslow is making footballing decisions .

I'm going to say it.
You're off your head.
There.

Bewdleyfan
19-7-10, 16:38
You're looking to far into it mate. Purslow is in discussions with the player(s) that Roy has wished to acquire. Roy will go to Purslow with 3 or 4 players and say, "get me him, him and him". Then Purslow will contact the relevant people and try and bang out a deal.

SWD262
19-7-10, 16:39
I'm going to say it.
You're off your head.
There.

Lol

SWD262
19-7-10, 16:39
You're looking to far into it mate. Purslow is in discussions with the player(s) that Roy has wished to acquire. Roy will go to Purslow with 3 or 4 players and say, "get me him, him and him". Then Purslow will contact the relevant people and try and bang out a deal.

If that`s the case i have no issue.

Gazza74
19-7-10, 16:42
But with Yossi and Insua deals lined up before Roy came here

We'd bought Cisse in 2004 before Rafa came and sold Heskey aswell that summer as Houllier was still doing business despite the fact he was then sacked.

Yossi left because Rafa was still manager and he didn't know he was getting sacked. The deal was being done whilst Rafa was still here as he'd told Yossi he could find a new club.

Insua's fee was only agreed last week, when Roy was here, so i'm pretty sure he'll have had a say in that once Purslow had told him it was 5m, which is pretty darn god deal.

As i said earlier, changing manager during the summer has caused a few issues with different deals and it happens all the time at different clubs, it's not some big conspiracy.

PeteD

But Roy also said during the world cup with the BBC that it was just speculation a rumour about him joining LFC. He said after his appointment that he had already had his first interview then. I'm sure he does know who we are looking at and has input to the decision. We have a scouting department and their role is to find players that will fit our style, right price etc and I'm sure that has a lot of involvement in the process as well.

Quality signing of Joe Cole, whoever made the final decision or was involved in the talks. Hope Stevie and Nando are happy as well.

BoDiddley
I'd like to have a look at Purslow's legs at some point.
I think there's a case for him being Player/Joint Manager.
I bet he's got a couple of seasons left in him.

Good shout

And I swear that was him training the team out in Switzerland too

Luis07LP
Roy is not going to do business through the media, he's ultra smart and ultra professional and look what has happened as a result.

Also shows how highly he is held in regard by players.

BoDiddley
19-7-10, 16:44
Roy is not going to business through the media, he's ultra smart and ultra professional and look what has happened as a result.

Also shows how highly he is held in regard by players.

Yes

Gazza74
19-7-10, 16:45
But Roy also said during the world cup with the BBC that it was just speculation a rumour about him joining LFC.

Yeh, exactly, it seems the way he is with the media.

We've had Rafa and his ways for 6 years, so we're now having to get used to how Roy handles the media questions and how he fends them off.

Doesn't mean he's a big fat liar, it's just his way, just like Rafa had his way.

josiewales
19-7-10, 16:47
Lol

This ridiculousness came up the other day mate.
I was saying to someone, I think it was Gazza, that I can't fathom this whole theory. It would never happen.
If I was, like you, looking for a wild conspiracy theory based on those comments, I'd look to the whole 'Director of Football' set up, and in turn to Kenny.
I don't reckon there'd be anything in that type of theory either. But I can't understand why the posters like yourself, who are determined to make up problems where they don't exist, to add to the plethora of problems that do exist at this club, don't grasp the Kenny theory because that would at least hold enough possibilities to make things interesting until the next doom and gloom monger rears his/her ugly head.
The OP of this thread is just a poor attempt at stupidity - that's how bad it is :D

I think that Hodgson's fully in charge of sourcing players, using the same networks that exist at every club. And that CP fulfils his role by negotiating the deals when interest is established.
I reckon the idea you push is just a complete munter. It holds no water whatsoever.

RedBook
19-7-10, 16:49
[/B]

What a ludicrous assumption. So we have no scouting system and Purslow is making all the decisions about who to sign and sell all by himself? Wake up please, it seems like you live in a world filled with conspiracy theories.

RedBook
19-7-10, 16:59

[/B]

Wheels in motion with smoke and mirrors.

Goalrush09
19-7-10, 17:05
Do you think Roy has spent the last 2 and a bit weeks since taking over not finding out every bit of info from the scouts and who they may have been looking at??

I doubt the press telling him on Friday was the first time he'd heard anything about Remy and the fact he said he'd spoken to the scouts about him tells me he will have asked them for all the info.

Now, whether he's looked at all that info on Remy yet we don't know, but whenever and if Remy signs you can be assured that Roy will have done what he said he needs to make a judgement, if he hasn't done that already but is just playing the press last Friday as i said.

He won't just have been sat on his arse playing poker on his pc you know since arriving, he'd have been getting upto speed on every single thing happening before he arrived and if Remy was someone Rafa wanted and was highly recommended by the scouts then Roy will speak to them, get all the info and decide if he wants him, same with all players.

I have no doubts at all that if we sign Remy it'll be on Roy's say-so and he'll have made all the judgements he said he needs to do that.

Players being signed solely on the scouts recommendations/reports happens all the time so that ain't an issue either.

Nicely summed up and all that really needs to be said.

This isn't Roy's first wodeo (sorry...couldn't wesist) and he'll have been working non stop to look at all the players currently on the books and other players that the scouts have been doing research on.

Anyone who say's otherwise is being daft.

This is a man that managed Inter Milan....and lived in the goldfish bowl that the Italian footballing press constantly magnified and examined 24/7

He knows the game and he knows the other game too and as someone else said that while he may look the friendly uncle type let's not make any mistake about his intelligence and ability to speak 'footballing language' on and off the field.

I've been very impressed with Mr. Hodgson up until now and today makes me feel even better about his appointment.

To get Joe Cole signed when other champions league playing teams were also vying for his signature shows me that we have a manager that's obviously saying and doing the right things behind the scenes.

A summer of discontent just officially became a little brighter and happier today.:scarf

DarkLiTe
19-7-10, 17:37
[/B]

No but signing quality players for free to replace o.k players (Yossi) in a certain position is.

redjitsu
19-7-10, 17:49
Not often I'd say this, but that's basically a stupid post imo.
Of all the issues at this club that are currently worth worrying about, this isn't one.
The very idea that we'd let CP source and buy players is stupid and I fail to see why anyone would arrive at that conclusion, based on recent events.

It really is time for people to stop spouting this kind of rubbish imo.

^^^^^^^ Totally agree:scarf

SWD262
14-8-12, 15:14
[/B]

Seen the other thread brought up and it reminded me of the abuse i had lol

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/856929?cc=5739#

BoDiddley
14-8-12, 15:16
Seen the other thread brought up and it reminded me of the abuse i had lol

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/856929?cc=5739#

Are you a ghost or a muppet ?

LiverpoolOne
14-8-12, 15:16
Is it Groundhog Day? Is it Groundhog Day? Is it Groundhog Day?

grenny158
14-8-12, 15:19
Once if funny-ish .. twice is just :sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

SWD262
14-8-12, 15:20
Are you a ghost or a muppet ?

Ah I noticed you changed your name.Been a while lol

I remember when you laughed at me at saying Lucas was going to be a top player for us and many other things.I can see why you changed your name ;)

ElFirnimino
14-8-12, 15:23
"He's not so much a player I can really take responsibility for. I'd have to share the responsibility for Joe, less so than for people like [Christian] Poulsen, [Raul] Meireles and [Paul] Konchesky, who are players I was quite happy to bring to the club."

Oh Roy!

domino
14-8-12, 15:24

:FP:

domino
14-8-12, 15:25

Firmly in Purslow's corner weren't you.......

You got some cheek really the way you bang on now

SWD262
14-8-12, 15:35

Higgy always been one to bang on.Fowi and Higgy seem to think their opinion is above everyone elses.As for BoDiddley well he changed his name cos he's posts became so boring people stopped replying to him.

Anyway it's good that the days of the cowboys and Roy are behind us.Scary how blinked some were though.

grenny158
14-8-12, 15:37
Ladieeeeeeeeee's and gentlemen, welcome to tonights boxing spectacle from The Virgin Arena, in Norwich town square:

In the red corner, with a professional record of 26,229 posts, hailing from somewhere in England, we have domino *applause*

And, in the blue corner, with a professional record of an absolute ****load of posts, also hailing from somewhere in England, we have TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast *applause*

Gentlemen, let's have a good, clean fight, please ..

DiscoDjimi
14-8-12, 15:38
"He's not so much a player I can really take responsibility for. I'd have to share the responsibility for Joe, less so than for people like [Christian] Poulsen, [Raul] Meireles and [Paul] Konchesky, who are players I was quite happy to bring to the club."

Oh Roy!

I still cannot get over that comment, what a way to give your new signing confidence, I know it was said tongue in cheek but still.

grenny158
14-8-12, 15:40
I still cannot get over that comment, what a way to give your new signing confidence, I know it was said tongue in cheek but still.

Tongue firmly in ass cheek, maybe .. it was a sign (of things to come) of the totally abject performances with the media that Roy became somewhat infamous for during his time at the club.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
14-8-12, 15:41

Wasn't i making a point about who gets credit for signings from fans? :confused:

But yes, Purslow had us all won over in the early days.

It's exactly why it'll never happen again.

SWD262
14-8-12, 15:44
Wasn't i making a point about who gets credit for signings from fans? :confused:

But yes, Purslow had us all won over in the early days.

It's exactly why it'll never happen again.

All? This thread was me slagging off Purslow lol I got abuse from the likes of you because of it.

I guess you think we all thought Lucas was useless and should be sold too? No again people like myself always backed him.Sorry Higgy you have been wrong about a lot of things these last couple of years ;)

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
14-8-12, 15:49
All? This thread was me slagging off Purslow lol I got abuse from the likes of you because of it.

I guess you think we all thought Lucas was useless and should be sold too? No again people like myself always backed him.Sorry Higgy you have been wrong about a lot of things these last couple of years ;)

Yeah you were one of the earliest to clock Purslow. But even you'll have been impressed when he was first rolled out as Parry's replacement.

Still, you live and learn. Well, you're meant to learn. Not all do.

And yes - i've got some calls wrong. I've never tried to hide them have i. Quaresma :D Insua :D Anyone prepared to give opinions on football will get some wrong.

He'll also get some very right (Torres, Keane, Suarez) ;)

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
14-8-12, 15:55
I like Roy Hodgson.I think he is a very good manager.

We all have shockers, i guess. :)

Thoughts on FSG, Mr.Go?

FirstComesTheRain
14-8-12, 16:04

Nobody can be an absolute accurate prophet of the future. So while u can rightfully feel proud about something you have once said being proven right, it is far from a sin for another to have been proven wrong. Congrats on Purslow though, I must confess that I saw it much later than you did.

SWD262
14-8-12, 16:09
We all have shockers, i guess. :)

Thoughts on FSG, Mr.Go?

I think Hodgson is a good manager but not for a big club and not once for Liverpool.Give him a Fulham and West Brom and he will keep them up and may even get them mid table.But he never has or ever will be a winner.To win the Premiership you need a winner to lead you.He wasn't that man and my opening posts hinted i didn't think he was.

And Suarez and Torres weren't hard calls to anyone who was watching week in week out like myself ;)

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
14-8-12, 16:10
I think Hodgson is a good manager but not for a big club and not once for Liverpool.Give him a Fulham and West Brom and he will keep them up and may even get them mid table.But he never has or ever will be a winner.To win the Premiership you need a winner to lead you.He wasn't that man and my opening posts hinted i didn't think he was.

And Suarez and Torres weren't hard calls to anyone who was watching week in week out like myself ;)

Not many were calling Suarez before he'd even got to Ajax.....

And i mean selling Torres. ;)

domino
14-8-12, 16:14

You wanted to sell Torres and not replace him.

You basically wanted us to have Ngog as our only striker.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
14-8-12, 16:16
You wanted to sell Torres and not replace him.

You basically wanted us to have Ngog as our only striker.

You're insane.

I wanted to sell Torres for 70m (since confirmed by Rafa) shortly before we sold him for 50m.

Haters gon hate.

Captain Mauser
14-8-12, 16:16
Dunno why this thread has been dragged up... It's not as if it presents anyone in a good light particularly.

Batteries
14-8-12, 16:17
Must be Old Thread Bump Day.

Gimme a sec' I'll get one up.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
14-8-12, 16:17
Must be Old Thread Bump Day.

Gimme a sec' I'll get one up.

grenny158
14-8-12, 16:18
Dunno why this thread has been dragged up... It's not as if it presents anyone in a good light particularly.

Aside from (marginally) the thread starter himself. Hence the reason he himself dragged this thread up today - and, I suspect, started another thread (again today) extolling the virtues of Jordan Henderson (for future 'dragging up's sake')

Seanosdelgardo
14-8-12, 16:19

More to the point, who ******* cares.

SWD262
14-8-12, 16:19

Well good shout if you said it before he went to Ajax.I didn't see much of him before that.

As for selling Torres for 70 million I think you was wrong.That money would of gone to H+G and not back to the club.So selling him at 50 million was the right time.

Bali2
14-8-12, 16:20
Said he was crap at the time, still saying he's crap now. Overrated because of his erm...experience. Awful manager and a sad footnote in our recent history, alongside Purslow, Parry, H&G - has any other club ever been subjected to such a bunch of clowns?

domino
14-8-12, 16:21

You're insane.

I wanted to sell Torres for 70m (since confirmed by Rafa) shortly before we sold him for 50m.

Haters gon hate.

You wanted to sell him for 70mill, and use it all to pay off debt.

Therefore, not replacing him.

You did.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
14-8-12, 16:21
As for selling Torres for 70 million I think you was wrong.That money would of gone to H+G and not back to the club.So selling him at 50 million was the right time.

Obviously it was 'money reinvested' basis.

And it wasn't just about money. I said he was past his best, when most were still stroking off to their posters of him and going LALALALALA.

I was right.

Point is i get some wrong. I get some right. As do we all. Including you.

SWD262
14-8-12, 16:22
Aside from (marginally) the thread starter himself. Hence the reason he himself dragged this thread up today - and, I suspect, started another thread (again today) extolling the virtues of Jordan Henderson (for future 'dragging up's sake')

Yeah i started that thread so in 2 years time I can bump it up lol

Serious mate grow up.I haven't been on here for 2 years that's why!

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
14-8-12, 16:22
You wanted to sell him for 70mill, and use it all to pay off debt.

Well if the debt had stayed gone, that would have been ok.

But we know now it wouldn't have.

I was bang right. You were wrong. You cried. I laughed.

SWD262
14-8-12, 16:24
Obviously it was 'money reinvested' basis.

And it wasn't just about money. I said he was past his best, when most were still stroking off to their posters of him and going LALALALALA.

I was right.

Point is i get some wrong. I get some right. As do we all. Including you.

I don't think Torres is finished.Just think Chelsea and their style of play doesn't suit him.He needs to be the lone striker with the ball played in the channels.He can only play in a certain system and Rafa knew that.Still a top player there somewhere though.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
14-8-12, 16:26
I don't think Torres is finished.

Neither do i.

Just past his best. Which is a great time for 70m. (In good circumstances).

SWD262
14-8-12, 16:35
Neither do i.

Just past his best. Which is a great time for 70m. (In good circumstances).

I think most of us at the time wouldn't of sold cos we knew no way would that money come back to the club.

At the right club,right system and manager Torres can score 25 goals plus again.If Rafa can get a top european job again and this season doesn't work out for Torres and wouldn't mind guessing that he goes in for him.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
14-8-12, 16:42
I think most of us at the time wouldn't of sold cos we knew no way would that money come back to the club.

At the right club,right system and manager Torres can score 25 goals plus again.If Rafa can get a top european job again and this season doesn't work out for Torres and wouldn't mind guessing that he goes in for him.

It would be a bad start for Rafa, on what would be a crucial job for him.

But....opinions, me old mucker.

SWD262
14-8-12, 16:45
It would be a bad start for Rafa, on what would be a crucial job for him.

But....opinions, me old mucker.

Well of course we are all allowed our opinion.If we all agreed it would be a boring forum.What I don't like is when people attack someone for their opinion( not saying you btw)

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
14-8-12, 16:47
Well of course we are all allowed our opinion.If we all agreed it would be a boring forum.What I don't like is when people attack someone for their opinion( not saying you btw)

Look, i know how much of a **** i was on here in the past. The Clique etc. It was fun, but it was not constructive.

I'm a different kind of ****, now. A useful one.

domino
14-8-12, 16:54
Look, i know how much of a **** i was on here in the past. The Clique etc. It was fun, but it was not constructive.

I'm a different kind of ****, now. A useful one.

Have they kicked you off TINA because of your insane ramblings of late?

Serious question

LordJamieOfCarragher
14-8-12, 16:56
Can someone fill me in as to why old threads are being bumped please?

Dioltas
14-8-12, 16:57
Can someone fill me in as to why old threads are being bumped please?

Necrophilia has been spreading rapidly across the board.