PDA

View Full Version : Do you develop a temporary soft spot for teams that visit your town for friendlies?

7 Megabytes
31-7-10, 06:32
If so, which teams have you done so with?

I've done so with Chelsea in 2007 and next week Real Madrid (I'll be sure to wear my Rojiblanco shirt ;) ) when they came to where I live - where we rarely get European sides come.

Leemo
31-7-10, 07:32
A soft spot for Chelsea? Youre on the wrong forum mate.

Red-Bird-Forever
31-7-10, 08:38
Chelsea fans are animals, gorillas dressed in smart suits with over inflated egos, would like to stick a nail in their soft spots!!!

awol
31-7-10, 08:49
In a word, no.

jimmy-pace
31-7-10, 09:34
Chelsea fans are animals, gorillas dressed in smart suits with over inflated egos, would like to stick a nail in their soft spots!!!

this.

HuytonHuyton
31-7-10, 10:04

I've done so with Chelsea in 2007 and next week Real Madrid (I'll be sure to wear my Rojiblanco shirt ;) ) when they came to where I live - where we rarely get European sides come.

Where do you live?

So basically who ever visits you develop a soft spot for?

Grow a pair of ball man and pick a team and stick to it. You can not "support" 2 or 3 in the same league!

-Gola-
31-7-10, 10:12
a soft spot for chelsea :eek:

this is deffo not the place for you lad

ShanklyBoy1961
31-7-10, 10:13
if so, which teams have you done so with?

I've done so with chelsea in 2007 and next week real madrid (i'll be sure to wear my rojiblanco shirt ;) ) when they came to where i live - where we rarely get european sides come.

chav

RogerHuntelaar
31-7-10, 10:42
Why would you develop a soft spot for them? I really don't see why.

irishkopie
31-7-10, 10:45
Do wish Liverpool would come over here more often;)

djskuff
31-7-10, 10:46
Do you develop a temporary soft spot for teams that visit your town for friendlies?

No :scarf

Tardelli59
31-7-10, 10:48
Chelsea :eek:

I have a soft spot for my home town team,but not for any other team.The scum have sent a team to play today in a testimonial(:mad:)

cookpassbabtridge
31-7-10, 10:48
No. Atletico Madrid played here last year and i am as non plussed by them now as i was then.

WestcountryRed
31-7-10, 10:49
The chelsea players probably didn't know where they were!

whitey1234
31-7-10, 12:35
Yeah i would but nobody comes to the Transylvanian mountains and its damn cold up here and the locals tell me not to go out at night.

topnotch
31-7-10, 12:57
Leciester last year maybe. Norwich visit every year to my home town, but doesn't really create a soft spot.

RedSoxDae
31-7-10, 13:24
I don't think this thread has gone the way the OP had hoped.

GordonBennett
31-7-10, 13:29
Whenever some of the big guns get a sniff of this thread,run and run fast!!

#CavaniToLiverpool
31-7-10, 13:41
The bordeaux fans are quite sound
as so the Inter fans
an the Bayern Leverkusen

whats suprsing is the lower league teams fans are realy cheeky. barnsley wer horrible *********

Mr-Rager
31-7-10, 13:45
No. I don't look out for Peacehaven Town's results at all.

king-Carra
31-7-10, 13:48
Not really.

Sunderland and Villareal have both come to a town near me recently, a second division side in Ireland, and I couldn't care less about them.

Similarly, Real Madrid played Shamrock Rovers last season in Dublin and Rovers fans dislike Madrid intently.

cookpassbabtridge
31-7-10, 15:08
Similarly, Real Madrid played Shamrock Rovers last season in Dublin and Rovers fans dislike Madrid intently.

:D

That must of been an odd one for the Madrid fans in attendence.

'We hate your team'

'Really? we had never heard of yours before this game got made.'

fy7reds
31-7-10, 15:25

Why? :confused:

king-Carra
31-7-10, 15:28

'We hate your team'

I know. Shamrock Rovers fans are a bit ridiculous. :D

Most of the hate was directed at Ronaldo though, t'was his Real Debut.

Why? :confused:

Their like that. They have a vicious rivalry with a team in the midlands of this country and a division below them for no reason whatsoever. Nothing geographical or that. They just love a row. :D

EDIT: It's more of a dislike than a hate of Real Madrid. I may have exaggerated. :D

jambags
31-7-10, 15:30
lol, even though most shamrock fans are mancs too, who still adore him!

king-Carra
31-7-10, 15:31
lol, even though most shamrock fans are mancs too, who still adore him!

Don't think they are mostly mancs tbh.

They have their own version of the Torres bounce. :)

WestcountryRed
31-7-10, 16:00

'We hate your team'

:D Still hadn't heard of them after the game either

king-Carra
31-7-10, 16:01
:D Still hadn't heard of them after the game either

Real only won 1-0. Only scored in the last 2 minutes. Was a good game. :)

7 Megabytes
31-7-10, 17:20
Don't get me wrong - I'm not a Chav fan.

I live in San Francisco so I'm grateful for any European teams that stimulate interest in football in the US.

Phil-Babel
31-7-10, 17:24

Oh dear

Snippes
31-7-10, 18:32
If I hated a team before they come here, I hate them even more when they do. So, no.

Yankfield
31-7-10, 21:48

I live in San Francisco so I'm grateful for any European teams that stimulate interest in football in the US.

I would stop digging that hole now if i were you lad..................

Sotolopolous
31-7-10, 21:51
I've developed a soft spot for my mates missus after they came round for dinner the other night. She was very Friendly.;)

-Chris-
31-7-10, 22:08
Well considering a Man Utd XI were in my town today the answer to that question is no.

sabretoothluis
31-7-10, 22:13
Liverpool will probably never visit brentford...to play a friendly...:D

irishkopie
31-7-10, 22:16
Not really.

Sunderland and Villareal have both come to a town near me recently, a second division side in Ireland, and I couldn't care less about them.

Rovers fans it has to be said are the most loyal around. When the club was in trouble and went down to first division they really rowed in behind them. Have had to put up a lot what with the sale of Milltown and sharing a nomadic existence for what seemed like an eternity before finally going to Tallaght.
Oh and they are the former club of one Liam O Brien, who I think holds the record for being the quickest to ever get sent off in a game. .

king-Carra
31-7-10, 22:19
Rovers fans it has to be said are the most loyal around. When the club was in trouble and went down to first division they really rowed in behind them. Have had to put up a lot what with the sale of Milltown and sharing a nomadic existence for what seemed like an eternity before finally going to Tallaght.
Oh and they are the former club of one Liam O Brien, who I think holds the record for being the quickest to ever get sent off in a game. .

They are a loyal bunch tbf. Went to a couple of their games last season. The missus is a local/fan.

The Tallaght stadium is nice.

WindyShepherdHenderson
1-8-10, 14:57
I've done so with Chelsea in 2007.

You're a joke.

Fleems
1-8-10, 15:09
Softspot...for chelsea? There's the door, please use it.

LondonScouse
1-8-10, 15:15
The only time I ever had a soft spot for Chelsea was pre abramovic when they d.....d the mancs 3-0. Ever since it's pure contempt towards those #%*%s.

On topic though I once came across a dude on a different forum. He was going nuts about us knocking Olympiakos out of the CL. He turned out to be Englush from Sunderland and supported them since they visited years before. He now flys over there all the time and is held in high esteem by their ultras. You couldn't make it up. Amazing what football does to people.

aylesbyred
1-8-10, 15:15

takes allsorts, at a guess the chelsea fans that could come to where you live would not be the same as the ones that come to where i live.

i interact with fans of many different clubs and same as our club you get allsorts; get a fan to drop his ego and talk level one to one and it can be quite good actually.

however, most chelsea fans i have met are stupid utter twots :)

-Rianaldo-
1-8-10, 16:42
Not really.

And Boro, but i still couldnt care less about any of them!

WindyShepherdHenderson
5-1-12, 21:23
An update.

I still don't have a soft spot for Chelsea, despite them visiting my town for matches.

BluebirdInPeace
5-1-12, 21:28

I can't stand Chelskum. Utter filth mate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-12361933

Nothing more than a bunch of saps. They got run up in their own town by a youth fraction of our fans the bunch of pansies.

They're just big heads thinking they're something special because they can still stick their lager lout bellies in Sergio Tacchini jackets.

Hate Swansea, Manchester, Spurs, Leeds, Millwall and Chelsea. All scum.

WindyShepherdHenderson
5-1-12, 21:30
I can't stand Chelskum. Utter filth mate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-12361933

Nothing more than a bunch of saps. They got run up in their own town by a youth fraction of our fans the bunch of pansies.

They're just big heads thinking they're something special because they can still stick their lager lout bellies in Sergio Tacchini jackets.

Hate Swansea, Manchester, Spurs, Leeds, Millwall and Chelsea. All scum.

So Cardiff fans get arrested and it's the Chelsea fans fault?

kickthetyres
5-1-12, 21:36
My soft spot for Chelsea (http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/islandblogging//blogs/005132/images/bog.jpg)

BluebirdInPeace
5-1-12, 21:36
So Cardiff fans get arrested and it's the Chelsea fans fault?

They come at the Cardiff fans with weapons and got put in their place and run up the street. More Chelsea fans actually got done in the whole incident. Chelsea had over 50 arrests. It was there fault. Our club is one of the best in Britain now for safety and stuff and their image is still bad everywhere. We've even had police free games in Wales. Its only when scum like Millwall come down its got to be on high security. You go to stadiums up and down the UK and the level of trouble is a joke. The only time there is trouble from is Swansea and Cardiff.

Alpha-kenny-wun
5-1-12, 21:38

????? may I ask why?

kop96lfc
5-1-12, 21:54
????? may I ask why?

Give him a break he didnt say he waves palstic flags when we play them, hes american . Dont be so quick to abuse an overseas fan > These forums are a good way for fans who dont live in Liverpool or the country to interact.
And dont start a out of town debate over either.

7 Megabytes
9-1-12, 02:22
Give him a break he didnt say he waves palstic flags when we play them, hes american . Dont be so quick to abuse an overseas fan > These forums are a good way for fans who dont live in Liverpool or the country to interact.
And dont start a out of town debate over either.

Thanks kop96lfc. That is exactly why I meant. I thought there were other people who've spent time abroad who also felt that way. In the years since posting this topic I gave up trying to explain this to people on this forum.

Chelsea just happened to be the team visiting and it was the first football match I'd seen in person for the 3 years (now 8 years) since relocating from the UK. I'm a British expat.

L1verFC
9-1-12, 02:24
I have a soft spot for Valencia , not sure why just like tomsee them do well

WindyShepherdHenderson
9-1-12, 02:28
Chelsea just happened to be the team visiting and it was the first football match I'd seen in person for the 3 years (now 8 years) since relocating from the UK. I'm a British expat.

Hold on - you're English? As in an English Liverpool fan who has a soft spot for Chelsea?

YanksAreComing
9-1-12, 02:47
Manure came to New England this year :eek: Wore the Gerrard shirt proudly to that game sadly the Rev's got smashed :D

DiscoDjimi
9-1-12, 02:51
My first live game was actually a game featuring Chelsea oddly enough. It was against Tromsų idrettslag in the northern reaches on Norway, Tromsų to be more specific. I remember they lost that game 3-2 partially because the pitch had 50 cm of snow on top of it.

WindyShepherdHenderson
9-1-12, 02:59
My first live game was actually a game featuring Chelsea oddly enough. It was against Tromsų idrettslag in the northern reaches on Norway, Tromsų to be more specific. I remember they lost that game 3-2 partially because the pitch had 50 cm of snow on top of it.

ORANGE BALL

Always wanted to go to Tromso. Most northerly football stadium in the world or something?

DiscoDjimi
9-1-12, 03:19
ORANGE BALL

Always wanted to go to Tromso. Most northerly football stadium in the world or something?

I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Anyways footage of perhaps the finest hour of Tromsų Idrettslags history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyQNKTJDVs4

Danpaz91
9-1-12, 04:13
I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Anyways footage of perhaps the finest hour of Tromsų Idrettslags history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyQNKTJDVs4

Ahh, can't they go back to playing in any condition again?!