PDA

View Full Version : The Academy/Reserves Thread

Pages : [1] 2

WineForMyMen
15-1-11, 13:54
Afternoon all, I discussed on the feedback forum a thread to encompass all the different angles of discussion on the subject; to keep a record of articles, match reports, ratings; and as a way of linking discussion when the reserves' match threads disappear down the list.

There's a long-term thread on RAWK that seems to work quite well and I know there's definitely some regular followers of our youngsters (Liverdinner and Kopitecrash for starters - I'm expecting some input here ;)).

I've definitely noticed a steadily increasing interest in this side of things, presumably starting from the initial successes of the youth and reserves teams 3-4 seasons ago; building through the signing of exciting prospects like Pacheco, Mavinga, Suso, Silva, Sterling, Shelvey, Wilson etc.; and now increasing through NESV/FSG's stated strategies in the area.

Not a day goes by now without a thread extolling the wonders of Suso; or a discusssion on youth strategy; or tracking our loanees; or considering the immediate futures of Wilson and Shelvey. So here's an attempt to give all the tangents a central point of reference. From Academy right through to those on the fringe of the first team.

Next Academy Fixture: Sat 22nd Jan. Everton (A). 11am
Next Reserves Fixture: Weds 19th Jan. Man City (A). 7pm

WineForMyMen
15-1-11, 14:04
For anyone that's missed it, the u18s won this morning, 3-1 vs Bolton:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/silva-strike-seals-u18s-win

I posted a blog entry earlier in the week on the Youth Cup victory, and also brought up the pleasing fact that we are getting more results that our football merits this season at u18 level. Good to see it continuing as we clime that table.

http://thekop.liverpoolfc.tv/_At-least-one-reason-to-be-cheerful/blog/3235312/173471.html

It also led me to the discovery of the Features & Match Reports forum for the first time, and some great posts by Kopitecrash:

on the first green shoots of emerging youth talent in the first team:
http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=209771

on the wider youth culture in the English game:
http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=205234

Will also be interesting to see if Nathan Eccleston features for Charlton today vs Sheff. Weds.

kopitecrash
15-1-11, 14:26
Will also be interesting to see if Nathan Eccleston features for Charlton today vs Sheff. Weds.

Thanks for the mention man. There is actually another article I might write up at some stage soon which goes into the whole loan system a little more - and a potential idea for bridging further the gap between the permier league and lower leagues.

But anyway, Eccleston. Honestly after hearing that he was going to get a premier league loan that was a big disappointment to see him go to Charlton. No offence to them but he's been to league one before - it's not exactly a step up.

However, it's worth pointing out that Martin Kelly was in that league with Huddersfield two years ago. The next time he played after that loan spell was a man of the match performance against Lyon, and has gone on to look like a very good prospect. So maybe league one won't be as bad for him as we think.

Afterall, he'll be playing for a team that is vying for promotion, so we have the expectation that could help create a winners mentality. Charlton are also a team that can expect to be attacking the other teams in it's league, so Eccleston will have to step up in the attacking department. He should be able to get a good string of games and most importantly, he can get match experience! That is the difference between the reserve league and the pro leagues - the physicality. Eccleston has attributes to be a good wide striker - his problem is the tendency to shy away from trying anything too big, which was noticable in his games this season. Hopefully in a league which has the physical power he will learn what it is to play in the premier league.

It is not over for Eccleston. Although if he had managed to make more of an impact with Huddersfield last time around, he might not be at Charlton.

For the reverse of course, you have to see Palsson's loan in league 2, where he got a paltry 3 appearances. Highly disappointing for a player who looked quite tidy in midfield, and he's as far from first team action as he's ever been.

lets talk footy
15-1-11, 14:35
For anyone that's missed it, the u18s won this morning, 3-1 vs Bolton:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/silva-strike-seals-u18s-win

I posted a blog entry earlier in the week on the Youth Cup victory, and also brought up the pleasing fact that we are getting more results that our football merits this season at u18 level. Good to see it continuing as we clime that table.

http://thekop.liverpoolfc.tv/_At-least-one-reason-to-be-cheerful/blog/3235312/173471.html

It also led me to the discovery of the Features & Match Reports forum for the first time, and some great posts by Kopitecrash:

on the first green shoots of emerging youth talent in the first team:
http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=209771

on the wider youth culture in the English game:
http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=205234

thanks for this WFMM.

on a separate note the picture you posted on the Kop, terrible tattoo......

kopitecrash
15-1-11, 14:40
Each of today's three goals were sublime in their approach play and execution. The first two were the result of outstanding team play and passing, and the final goal by Silva was a superb solo effort. The Bolton keeper had an outstanding game, otherwise another four or five could have been added to the tally

I've been watching LFC youth teams since 1964 when Ronnie Moran was the coach, and in my view this current side is by far the finest of them all both collectively and individually.

Pierre (RAWK)

Some endorsement for the youth team from an old timer.

WineForMyMen
15-1-11, 14:49
Thanks for the mention man. There is actually another article I might write up at some stage soon which goes into the whole loan system a little more - and a potential idea for bridging further the gap between the permier league and lower leagues.

But anyway, Eccleston. Honestly after hearing that he was going to get a premier league loan that was a big disappointment to see him go to Charlton. No offence to them but he's been to league one before - it's not exactly a step up.

However, it's worth pointing out that Martin Kelly was in that league with Huddersfield two years ago. The next time he played after that loan spell was a man of the match performance against Lyon, and has gone on to look like a very good prospect. So maybe league one won't be as bad for him as we think.

Afterall, he'll be playing for a team that is vying for promotion, so we have the expectation that could help create a winners mentality. Charlton are also a team that can expect to be attacking the other teams in it's league, so Eccleston will have to step up in the attacking department. He should be able to get a good string of games and most importantly, he can get match experience! That is the difference between the reserve league and the pro leagues - the physicality. Eccleston has attributes to be a good wide striker - his problem is the tendency to shy away from trying anything too big, which was noticable in his games this season. Hopefully in a league which has the physical power he will learn what it is to play in the premier league.

It is not over for Eccleston. Although if he had managed to make more of an impact with Huddersfield last time around, he might not be at Charlton.

For the reverse of course, you have to see Palsson's loan in league 2, where he got a paltry 3 appearances. Highly disappointing for a player who looked quite tidy in midfield, and he's as far from first team action as he's ever been.

Look forward to that loan article. It's definitely an area we need to improve on when we see Utd. loaning to Brum and Sunderland...and us to Notts County and Charlton.

That said, I'd rather Eccleston go on loan to a well-organised club if he's going to be playing regularly and they are playing at the top of their division, challenging for things. Rather that then him getting the odd 15-20 minutes from the Wolves bench...or being in and out of a struggling Championship side. Some of our best loan agreements in recent years have been with Leicester and Huddersfield as you mention. Hopefully Darby and Ince could be loaned back to Notts County too (don't know what's going on there :confused:) because they're rapidly climbing the table.

Agree on Eccleston. After a great debut for Huddersfield he got himself banned for several games, then injured, and overall it was a real backwards step. I think he's at last chance saloon with Charlton, and realistically I think we might just be hoping for him to raise his shop window status. I do think he has more to his game than someone like Amoo, but he's found himself in that disastrous situation for a youngster at a big club where he doesn't have a position any more. He didn't produce the same kind of academy scoring record at reserves level, so he's not yet clinical enough to challenge Torres and N'Gog; he doesn't really have the reading of the game and composure to play second striker; and he is still to unfamiliar with wing-play.

An out-and-out striker at a lower level club or, as you say, a wide striker perhaps at a slightly higher level. I think that may be the limit, but hopefully he'll be sensational at Charlton and change the boundaries of the debate back in his favour.

EDIT: Eccleston starts on the bench. Tough clash for Charlton, Wednesday on a bit of form, real play-offs 6-pointer. Chance for Eccleston to come of the bench and be a hero?

WineForMyMen
15-1-11, 14:52

Interesting statement. From the sounds of it Adorjan was also the potential MOTM. Looking forward to the highlights.

Steplark
15-1-11, 15:47
What do people think of Kristjan Emilsson? He seems to have just about everything required to be a good front man. He is big and strong for a 17 year old, has good technique and is also pretty good technically. Not saying he should be brought into the first team but I personally think he has a future as a Centre Forward if not for us maybe for another Premier League team or play for a team in another of Europes top leagues.

kopitecrash
15-1-11, 15:51
What do people think of Kristjan Emilsson? He seems to have just about everything required to be a good front man. He is big and strong for a 17 year old, has good technique and is also pretty good technically. Not saying he should be brought into the first team but I personally think he has a future as a Centre Forward if not for us maybe for another Premier League team or play for a team in another of Europes top leagues.

Don't know really. Thing is while he got the two goals we needed in the youth cup, we also weren't as good as we were in the first half, and to a certain extent that was because Morgan is also good at laying off the ball and bringing the other attackers into play. Emilsson isn't so good at it. That said, he was in the right places for the goals and took them both well.

Don't see him with us in the future (largely due to Ngoo) but he's capable, no doubt.

Steplark
15-1-11, 15:53
Yes I agree on Ngoo he has what Emilsson has but more of it at this moment in time, he is one of the reasons I said I see Emilsson having a future somewhere else :)

WineForMyMen
15-1-11, 15:57

With Eccleston out on loan, and Brouwer departing, I think we may see one of Morgan or Emilsson getting a couple of reserves games towards the end of the season.

With our academy and reserves sides generally mimicking the 4-2-3-1 set-up, there's obviously only space for one striker, but we are generally limited in that position at youth level. Ngoo seems to be injured, then there's Saric (just returning from injury and linked with a move away), Emilsson and Morgan. It looks like Banton is now a winger (seemingly played FW at some stage in his development).

The game v Palace was the first time I'd seen Emilsson stand-out or add some end product to his play. Certainly very impressive in that game - took his goals well, and caused the CBs no end of problems.

One of the recurring problems for youngsters though is that the ones that rely on strength and power often get found at at later stages, obviously with the kids all developing at different rates. Take Amoo as a prime example of someone that terrorised defenders at u18 level but has struggled to throw his weight around so effectively in the reserves...and struggled even more in his brief first team chance.

So it's important for Emilsson to continue to develop physically, and with the sort of player he is, he has to make sure he adds aggression to his attributes. Plenty of physically commanding players even at the top level don't achieve their potential because they don't impose their presence enough (Babel could be an example).

Matt-CM
15-1-11, 16:08
Great thread :)

Amidst the doom n' gloom it's easy to forget there's some really promising talent coming through at Liverpool. They may not be knocking on the first team doors just yet but there's some players there that have a real chance of making it if they can fulfill their early potential :)

kopitecrash
15-1-11, 16:55
Posted a new article in the article sub forum bit, but you'll have to wait for it. Basically, it's an argument for a reserve team tournament in the summer or winter.

WineForMyMen
15-1-11, 17:11
Posted a new article in the article sub forum bit, but you'll have to wait for it. Basically, it's an argument for a reserve team tournament in the summer or winter.

We definitely need a new approach to loaning at club level or a revamp of the reserves format in England generally so that the gap between youth and first team can be gapped better. It should be something that they are looking at more with the new financial fair play restrictions.

I'd also like to see something like the Olympics rule coming into force with selections for reserves sides. Where you can only have something like 3 over-21s in any reserves match squad. There are still teams out there that just make up the numbers for reserves games with half-arsed selections of disinterested seniors.

Look forward to reading it anyway.

Looks like Eccleston may have struggled to make an impact. He came on for 25 minutes, got himself booked, and didn't really feature in the live text commentary.

kopitecrash
15-1-11, 17:16
Looks like Eccleston may have struggled to make an impact. He came on for 25 minutes, got himself booked, and didn't really feature in the live text commentary.

Saw that. From the forum I looked at though the fans were happy with that result. It's early days.

kopitecrash
16-1-11, 17:38
http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=226071

Establishing a youth culture part 2.

Bringing the talented players to the scouts.

WineForMyMen
16-1-11, 23:04
Spearing started ahead of Poulsen. Shelvey a brave substitution and did well. Pacheco on the bench and talked up again. Another great performance from Kelly. And Kenny suggested Wilson would get a go soon.

Great changes on the approach to the youngsters from Kenny so far.

Looks like Shelvey might be on for his 20 appearances target after all. Think that's 12 now.

kopitecrash
16-1-11, 23:25
Spearing started ahead of Poulsen. Shelvey a brave substitution and did well. Pacheco on the bench and talked up again. Another great performance from Kelly. And Kenny suggested Wilson would get a go soon.

Great changes on the approach to the youngsters from Kenny so far.

Looks like Shelvey might be on for his 20 appearances target after all. Think that's 12 now.

12 appearances? Wow.
Not sure about Wilson, but so far, Kenny has shown good judgement in picking the younger players, especially Kelly. Wheather he should go further and pick more, Im not sure. Perhaps including Wilson and Kelly would be a step too far - but perhaps they are more hungry to win then (arguably) some of the journeymen palyers we have gathered.

WineForMyMen
16-1-11, 23:35
12 appearances? Wow.
Not sure about Wilson, but so far, Kenny has shown good judgement in picking the younger players, especially Kelly. Wheather he should go further and pick more, Im not sure. Perhaps including Wilson and Kelly would be a step too far - but perhaps they are more hungry to win then (arguably) some of the journeymen palyers we have gathered.

He mentioned Wilson getting a "wee go" soon. Not necessarily with all the youngsters together, but right now I'd love to see the backline of:

Johnson--Kelly--Agger--Aurelio

because I think that could be our strongest defence available now. Certainly see Kelly as having a long-term CB future. And in that set-up, Wilson would be the obvious replacement for Agger should his illness/injuries kick-in again.

Great article btw, responded to in the thread.

and yes...12 appearances I think. Obviously around half a dozen or probably even 7/8 as sub, but still.

Liverdinner
16-1-11, 23:41
I would not have brought Shelvey on for Meireles today but I like his confidence in the youth. I didnt think Kelly was great today but he seems to be in with a good chance of being regular at rb.

Much better for youth development, though results I dont know.

Grizzwold
17-1-11, 12:13

Was at the game on Saturday and agree with the old timer these boys can play. Was talking to the father of one of the lads and he was saying Smith is the only 1st year scholar playing regular games, Morgan has made a few appearances as has Matt Reagan, Peter Aylmer and Sterling is to young to be a scholar but plays every game. These lads plus the other 1st years we don't get to see went undefeated last year in the U16's. He believes the Academy is the strongest it has been in years and he has been taking his lad there for the last 6, it's looking good for the future.

MaradonaJunior
17-1-11, 12:34
I would like to watch the u18's a bit more, the youngsters at the club is something that really interest me, but it's hard getting an idea of a player from highlights.

I.e. Adam Morgan, the highlights I have seen of him suggest he is a greedy (a good thing), well finishing attacker with great positional sense - but how is his overall play? Is his positional sense always good, or does it just seem that way when he scores?

I do tend to watch the reserves and our youth cup team whenever possible and especially the last 18 months when they have been playing better football than the first team.

MaradonaJunior
17-1-11, 12:51
http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=226071

Establishing a youth culture part 2.

Bringing the talented players to the scouts.

Love this idea, really good post! Rep for you my friend (at some point) :)

Grizzwold
17-1-11, 13:01
I would like to watch the u18's a bit more, the youngsters at the club is something that really interest me, but it's hard getting an idea of a player from highlights.

I.e. Adam Morgan, the highlights I have seen of him suggest he is a greedy (a good thing), well finishing attacker with great positional sense - but how is his overall play? Is his positional sense always good, or does it just seem that way when he scores?

I do tend to watch the reserves and our youth cup team whenever possible and especially the last 18 months when they have been playing better football than the first team.

Mate I go to the U18's games at home, I live 5mins walk from the academy and of the strikers Ingoo, Emelison and Morgan, Morgan is the least selfish of the 3. If Ingoo, Sterling and Silva weren't so selfish they would have scored alot more goals and would have won one more games. You can't believe everything you see on the highlights, these lads can all play but they have alot to learn if they want to become 1st team players.

WineForMyMen
22-1-11, 17:09
A few great developments this week.

Kenny's visit to the Academy and the week-long experience for Coady and Suso at Melwood. A really great move this, especially with the logistical problems we have in not getting the academy training closer to the seniors.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/kenny-suso-and-lifts-to-melwood

Revealing video with Pep Segura.

A win and a reserves game in which the likes of Saric, Pacheco, Wilson and Ince impressed.

A loan return for Darby to Notts County. Reports of Ayala going on loan to Derby. Irwin's trial at Aberdeen. Eccleston scores for Charlton.

And Kenny continues to talk up the youngsters and back it up with action. Kelly becoming a regular, Shelvey and Pacheco making the bench again.

Just a shame about the youngsters game having to be cancelled because of Everton's involvement in the youth cup.

Next Academy Fixture: Sat 29th Jan. Sheff Wed (H). 12pm
Next Reserves Fixture: Thurs 27th Jan. Blackpool (A). 2pm

WineForMyMen
26-1-11, 08:11
Amoo on loan to MK Dons then and made his debut from the subs bench last night. Only a 1-month loan at present, but hopefully the chance to extend it if things go well. Decent side to be loaned to as well, already firmly seated in the play-off spots.

Darby started for Notts County. Not sure what County's funds are like, but I can see him being snapped up in the summer. He's started the majority of their games when he's been there. Become something like Jack Hobbs was to Leicester.

kopitecrash
26-1-11, 09:23
Amoo on loan to MK Dons then and made his debut from the subs bench last night. Only a 1-month loan at present, but hopefully the chance to extend it if things go well. Decent side to be loaned to as well, already firmly seated in the play-off spots.

Darby started for Notts County. Not sure what County's funds are like, but I can see him being snapped up in the summer. He's started the majority of their games when he's been there. Become something like Jack Hobbs was to Leicester.

Tbf, Jack Hobbs is better then Darby. Sort of surprised he hasn't made the premier league yet - has been one of Leicesters best players for a while now.

As for Amoo, finally. He needs proper games, more then any of our other players so he can prove that he can be effective. He can become a good player for us - at his best he just cruises past wingbacks and puts in great balls. He needs to become consistent in doing that.

Liverdinner
26-1-11, 10:49
A lot of Hull fans are calling for Daniel Ayala to be brought back, despite them only recently loaning United centre back Adam Chester.

Good sign that.

WineForMyMen
26-1-11, 10:50
A lot of Hull fans are calling for Daniel Ayala to be brought back, despite them only recently loaning United centre back Adam Chester.

Good sign that.

It is. Popular player there by all accounts.

Heard a rumour that Derby were looking to loan him though. We'll see. Still injured til Feb isn't he?

Liverdinner
26-1-11, 10:52
It is. Popular player there by all accounts.

Heard a rumour that Derby were looking to loan him though. We'll see. Still injured til Feb isn't he?

Yeah i think so. Initially I thought they hadnt taken to him but my Dad who still goes says their message boards are full of calls to get him back.

And Hull are doing well right now, theyre on a good run, so he must be highly thought of.

WineForMyMen
26-1-11, 10:55
Liver, Kopite, or anyone else heard anything about Poloskei btw?

I remember asking the mods in the summer and tracking down an update from somewhere else around September time...thought he was supposed to be returning October/November.

Can't see him listed as a player anymore, but haven't heard anything about him being released.

:confused:

Adam.L.F.C
26-1-11, 11:11
Where is adam pepper. Who is he playing for these days?

Adam.L.F.C
26-1-11, 11:14
Name: Adam Pepper

Dubbed as "Wayne Rooney 2" just a couple of years ago, Adam Pepper is a highly rated youngster who joins Aberystwyth from Liverpool. Approached by Manchester City aged just 8 years old, the Liverpudlian had no less than 8 Premier League clubs after him aged 13, and at age 14 decided to switch from boyhood club Everton to Liverpool. He was a very important part of the U-18 squad at Liverpool that reached the FA Youth Cup final in 2009. Surprisingly released in the summer of 2010, he could turn out to be one of the most important signings for the club this season.

Just found this. I expected big things from this lad.

charlesbukowski
26-1-11, 11:15
There were reports that even Real Madrid are after him. :FP:

WineForMyMen
26-1-11, 11:17
Where is adam pepper. Who is he playing for these days?

Released in the summer, or even last January maybe(?), now plays for Aberystwyth

http://www.welsh-premier.com/index.php/headline-news/2646-pepper-adds-spice-to-aberystwyth-midfield

charlesbukowski
26-1-11, 15:32
http://www.thefa.com/England/mens-u19s/News/2011/squad-germany-240111

Coady, Shelvey and Robinson. Wisdom and N'Goo would be there too if not injured. :scarf

And I guess Shelvey's not far away from being promoted to the U21 unless there's a big tourny coming up for the U19.

Liverdinner
26-1-11, 15:59
Released in the summer, or even last January maybe(?), now plays for Aberystwyth

http://www.welsh-premier.com/index.php/headline-news/2646-pepper-adds-spice-to-aberystwyth-midfield

Funny how he got so much hype but didnt really come close.

Liver, Kopite, or anyone else heard anything about Poloskei btw?

I remember asking the mods in the summer and tracking down an update from somewhere else around September time...thought he was supposed to be returning October/November.

Can't see him listed as a player anymore, but haven't heard anything about him being released.

:confused:

No nothing, looked a decent player. Probably not our level but decent enough

WineForMyMen
26-1-11, 22:48
Looks like Palsson's leaving for good. Off to Hibs according to SSN.

Nice lad but am pleased with that. We need to clear the kids that aren't cut out for the club. Instead we've allowed too many to stagnate and get in the way previously. (Iriwn, Darby, Mendy, Hansen need to go next).

Kenny likes Shelvey doesn't he too? And tbf I was very impressed again tonight. Without being noted as a particular skill of his, Jonjo's tackling and intercepting skills are very good. Probably helps with his frame, but he wins the ball back a fair bit. His languid demeanour is deceptive.

WineForMyMen
26-1-11, 22:49
http://www.thefa.com/England/mens-u19s/News/2011/squad-germany-240111

Coady, Shelvey and Robinson. Wisdom and N'Goo would be there too if not injured. :scarf

And I guess Shelvey's not far away from being promoted to the U21 unless there's a big tourny coming up for the U19.

More good stuff too.

With Wisdom and Ngoo in we'd be dominating the squad.

charlesbukowski
26-1-11, 23:00
Looks like Palsson's leaving for good. Off to Hibs according to SSN.

Nice lad but am pleased with that. We need to clear the kids that aren't cut out for the club. Instead we've allowed too many to stagnate and get in the way previously. (Iriwn, Darby, Mendy, Hansen need to go next).

Kenny likes Shelvey doesn't he too? And tbf I was very impressed again tonight. Without being noted as a particular skill of his, Jonjo's tackling and intercepting skills are very good. Probably helps with his frame, but he wins the ball back a fair bit. His languid demeanour is deceptive.

I really like Jonjo's cameo performances and I'm impressed with him as I think that he needs to be the main man in midfield to really show what he's capable of but for now it'll be good for him to play alongside Lucas, Meireles and Gerrard I guess. It's quite stunning that we were apparently the only interested party - he'd walk into quite a few pream teams IMO.

And I obviously agree about Palsson - you never know with these holding midfielders, they are mediocre for 5 years and then they explode but one thing they clearly need is regular football at a competitive level. I just think the fact that he wasn't able to get games for Rushden when he was on loan there was his final nail in the coffin.

More good stuff too.

With Wisdom and Ngoo in we'd be dominating the squad.

It's probably fair to say that Coady is a replacement for Wisdom but still very impressive.

WineForMyMen
27-1-11, 12:16
Ince on Chamberlain/Ince

Ince told the Daily Star: “What’s the point of Chamberlain going to a club like Liverpool or Arsenal? He will just be stuck in the *reserves,

“Yeah, he can get a big contract now with one of the top clubs, but that’s no good for the education of the kid.

“I can tell the way Chamberlain plays he loves his football and he can score goals.

“But that is what disappoints me about my lad at Liverpool.

“He scored goals on loan at County and people *started talking about him, but now he has disappeared again and won’t be seen for a while playing for the reserves, and that *annoys me.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

God the man is a ****.

I always knew this was going to happen eventually with his son at the club. So up his own ****. And the problem is that from a young age you can already see that Ince jnr. is actually held back by the fact that he thinks he's a superstar already - his worst attributes at present are his showboating and poor decision-making.

Tom Ince will also already have been favourably looked upon because of his connections. In the last 9 months he's already been fast-tracked from academy to fringes of first team squad (jumping the queue in the process)...Roy doing a favour for his old mate. Does Paul not see that?

Of course this Chamberlain "article" was never going to be about Chamberlain, Ince is far too self-centred to allow that. But the delusion of him is ridiculous. What does he expect? Tom Ince goes on loan to a League One club, scores a goal and is immediately recalled and thrust into the first team :confused:

And he hasn't "disappeared again".

1) He says "again"...well when was the first time?
2) We've had a glut of reserves team postponements and he played in the sole game we've had of late.

Even putting him in the same category as Chamberlain is arrogant. Where are the big clubs lining up £5-10m bids for Ince?

Tom is a talented footballer, but not exceptional as he and his Dad seem to think. But to be honest, if we're going to have to deal with these nepotistic interventions from Ince Snr. throughout his fledgling career then I'd rather we got rid. We have better prospects in Pacheco, Suso, Sterling, Silva, possibly Adorjan.

kopitecrash
27-1-11, 12:36
On the one hand, he's annoying me, and he's not helping. On the other hand, he's a dad - and he wants the best for his son. I can understand why he's **********, but he's not helping.

Ince could well do big things for us - again, the loan is key. If he's dealing with the physical side of the game and has talent, then we have a player we can work with. I would prefer for him to go out on loan again to be honest.

In other news, our next goat to the proverbial jurrassic park feeding pen is Southend - they beat Derby 3-1 yesterday to set up a youth cup clash with our under 18's, and Ngoo, which is a nice reunion. Southend are pretty average however, and with Suso slotting in for the youth cup, as well as the two reserve fullbacks, I can see it getting very, very ugly for Southend.

Meanwhile someone made a good point, although I wasn't sure who it was. Should we really be trying to hard to get Charlie Adam when without him, Shelvey is getting appearances and improving quickly? Seems to a certain extent a waste of money, like the Brad Jones transfer when we had Gulacsi and Bouzanis both home grown in waiting. Certainly, if we used the money to get Suarez and bulk up our wing/attacking options I would be happier.

Meanwhile meanwhile I have been thinking about a possible blog dedicated to the youth and reserve ranks. Youngguns, once a smallish Arsenal youth blog is now quite big, although thats to be expected. Trouble is we wouldn't be able to get as extensive coverage of certain games because highlights are sometimes in short supply, and also YoungGuns is extremely dedicated. But it might be an interesting journalistic project to undertake between a few people.

Also Amoo got some decent reviews from MK dons forums. 'retains the ball well' 'excellent crosses' and so on. It's early days, but hopefully he'll begin getting starts and really kick on.

MaradonaJunior
27-1-11, 13:11
It's nice to see Kenny using the youngsters and last night wasn't the best game for what I am proposing now, but against Wolves 2 or 3-0 up, shouldn't he have used the last substitute and give Wilson or Pacheco a few minutes? Seems a little strange he is so reluctant to use more than two...

Liverdinner
27-1-11, 13:23
Ince on Chamberlain/Ince

Ince told the Daily Star: “What’s the point of Chamberlain going to a club like Liverpool or Arsenal? He will just be stuck in the *reserves,

“Yeah, he can get a big contract now with one of the top clubs, but that’s no good for the education of the kid.

“I can tell the way Chamberlain plays he loves his football and he can score goals.

“But that is what disappoints me about my lad at Liverpool.

“He scored goals on loan at County and people *started talking about him, but now he has disappeared again and won’t be seen for a while playing for the reserves, and that *annoys me.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

God the man is a ****.

I always knew this was going to happen eventually with his son at the club. So up his own ****. And the problem is that from a young age you can already see that Ince jnr. is actually held back by the fact that he thinks he's a superstar already - his worst attributes at present are his showboating and poor decision-making.

Tom Ince will also already have been favourably looked upon because of his connections. In the last 9 months he's already been fast-tracked from academy to fringes of first team squad (jumping the queue in the process)...Roy doing a favour for his old mate. Does Paul not see that?

Of course this Chamberlain "article" was never going to be about Chamberlain, Ince is far too self-centred to allow that. But the delusion of him is ridiculous. What does he expect? Tom Ince goes on loan to a League One club, scores a goal and is immediately recalled and thrust into the first team :confused:

And he hasn't "disappeared again".

1) He says "again"...well when was the first time?
2) We've had a glut of reserves team postponements and he played in the sole game we've had of late.

Even putting him in the same category as Chamberlain is arrogant. Where are the big clubs lining up £5-10m bids for Ince?

Tom is a talented footballer, but not exceptional as he and his Dad seem to think. But to be honest, if we're going to have to deal with these nepotistic interventions from Ince Snr. throughout his fledgling career then I'd rather we got rid. We have better prospects in Pacheco, Suso, Sterling, Silva, possibly Adorjan.

He is right in theory though, that our players rarely get chances and rot in the ressies.

charlesbukowski
5-2-11, 11:06
http://thefa.com/England/mens-u17s/News/2011/algarve-squad-040211

Raheem Sterling is missing for some odd reasons I guess yet there are still four Liverpool players. :scarf

Never heard of this Jack Dunn lad. According to this article he's a midfielder but does anyone know what kind of midfielder?

BTW, Line up for today's U18 clash with ManCity:
Belford, Poor, Smith, Sama, McGiveron, Coady, Sterling, Rodden, Morgan, Adorjan, Silva Subs: Stephens, Aylmer, Sumner, Regan, Banton

Tried to figure out if Stephen Sama is nominated for Germany but they haven't unveiled - at least on their official site - their squad yet.

@mods: can we please make this thread a sticky?

LordJamieOfCarragher
5-2-11, 14:11
Adam Morgan struck a late winner as Liverpool U18s warmed up for the FA Youth Cup with an impressive 2-1 victory over Manchester City on Saturday afternoon.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/sterling-and-morgan-clinch-u18-win

kopitecrash
5-2-11, 14:18
It's hard to see there being a better under 18 side in England at the moment. Bring these through and we will save millions and millions.

WineForMyMen
5-2-11, 14:28
Sterling scores again...and good to see Morgan getting on the scoresheet. I like the look of him as a player and he's apparently been prolific at every other level so far. Bit of a slow start to his u-18s career had be worried that the step-up might find him out (as various step-ups have for others), but hopefully not...and he's still young in that squad.

Don't know anything about Dunn. I know there's one or two that go to see the academy in person...perhaps they'll pick up on it if they notice the thread?

From the sounds of it, Ince has already really stepped up his game since coming back. Even though it was a very short loan. I know I've voiced some concerns about him further up this thread, but if he can get his head down and keep his feet on the ground...

Reserves clear at the top of the table. U18s up to 6th with at least 2 games in hand on everyone else. :scarf

charlesbukowski
9-2-11, 08:29
Englands U19 lost the match but our three lads started and Coady even captained the team. Shelvey wasn't able to take part because of an injury.

http://thefa.com/England/mens-u19s/News/Match%20Centre/2011/England%20v%20Germany/Teamsheets?p=ts&mid=138708

Apparently it was a mistake by Lee Nicholls (GK) as he dropped the ball and Denis Thomalla was there to bury the ball.

WineForMyMen
4-3-11, 14:58
Well, it's been a while. Busy month personally.

Lots of developments though with the reserves finally getting back to games and the youth team doing what they've been threatening for a while under Borrell.

May have posted in this thread, but definitely elsewhere if not, that I hoped Adam Morgan would soon start finding the goals as he gradually adapts to this age level. And he has. Something I quite like about him. He's not the most obviously athletic, and yet he gets around the pitch, works hard, and has a real striker's intelligence about him in terms of positioning and movement.

Again I'll point out Adorjan for praise though. Due credit has gone to Sterling and Coady and others of late for the Youth team's stunning form, but you just have to watch the highlights to see how many killer balls Adorjan picks from nowhere, game after game. Anyway, going relatively under the radar may be no bad thing for the kind of player he is. It worries me when there's too much pressure on players who rely on guile, rhythm, vision. They are attributes that can't be forced in a game. Unlike pace and power they need to be allowed freedom to adapt themselves.

With that in mind I wonder whether Suso's mini (and it is only minor, purely relative to that of early season) dip in form is down to the reserves relative lack of creativity? That said, Bruna has made himself useful on the right (though if he'd been more clinical he'd have got himself 6 or 7 goals in the last 3 games). And then there's Ince...

Got to say he's surprised me with his improvement since coming back from loan but his attitude (as I've picked out before) has been near appalling, particularly in the last match where he sulked, refused to pass, and treated the game like a X-factor style solo audition....in which he failed miserably. I've said before, and will do so with renewed conviction now, it may just be best to call it a day with him. Not for a lack of talent (though he is a quarter as talented as he and his dad think) but because of a poisonous egocentric attitude and the interference of Paul. Adjarevic left for less obvious issues. At the time people were concerned at the decision. Since then he's struggled to get a contract at League One level and left the country last time I checked.

Anyway, to end on a positive: great to see Wisdom and Cooper back from injury. Anyone know the latest on Ngoo?

Academy have Blackburn tomorrow. For anyone that hasn't seen their league table:
http://www.premierleague.com/page/YouthCTable

Their sensational form, and gradual catching up of games in hand, has seen them climb from 8th to 4th. Best GD in the league and are now in a position where winning their 3 games in hand would take them top. Keep it going all. Then there's United in the youth cup.

Liverdinner
19-4-11, 11:56
A few thoughts.

No point talking about sterling or morgan cause everyone knows their quality. I like suso but sometimes games pass him by and it worries me, otherwise he is another that is fine.

im not a fan of coady but I am liki.g irwin more and more. when he plays it simple he is a good player. Roberts too can in some games look a really classy simple player like alonso.

my main point was about defenders, I think wisdom looks very good in the majodity of his play, strong quick and like other academy products such as ayala and hobbs he looks comfortable on the ball. a few errors but a big talent. I also think mendy has improved a lot, he.has become quite solid and may have a future.

Ragalu
19-4-11, 12:06
A few thoughts.

No point talking about sterling or morgan cause everyone knows their quality. I like suso but sometimes games pass him by and it worries me, otherwise he is another that is fine.

im not a fan of coady but I am liki.g irwin more and more. when he plays it simple he is a good player. Roberts too can in some games look a really classy simple player like alonso.

my main point was about defenders, I think wisdom looks very good in the majodity of his play, strong quick and like other academy products such as ayala and hobbs he looks comfortable on the ball. a few errors but a big talent. I also think mendy has improved a lot, he.has become quite solid and may have a future.

I agree, Stevie Irwin has been impressive the last few games, but I am still not sure he'll make it - he seems to be a jack of all trades but a master of none and, whilst always looking solid, doesn't seem to excel in any of the positions he is played in.

I'm still not quite sure about Roberts. He definitely has an eye for a pass and likes to try the Hollywood balls but he doesn't really influence the game enough for me at the moment - although he has only just really graduated to the reserves so maybe that will come.

Wisdom is ace - looks completely self-assured and breeds confidence throughout the team. I hope he gets some chances to play in the cups for the first team next season, although there are a few others who may be prioritised ahead of him (Ayala, Wilson etc.)

Just out of interest, what has Coady done to upset you? Since Jay has been promoted to the first team there is a bit of a gaping whole in the reserves' midfield - I'm hoping Coady will fill it next season.

I'm looking forward to seeing the development of the super-promising U18s as they graduate to the reserves.

Liverdinner
19-4-11, 12:12
I agree, Stevie Irwin has been impressive the last few games, but I am still not sure he'll make it - he seems to be a jack of all trades but a master of none and, whilst always looking solid, doesn't seem to excel in any of the positions he is played in.

I'm still not quite sure about Roberts. He definitely has an eye for a pass and likes to try the Hollywood balls but he doesn't really influence the game enough for me at the moment - although he has only just really graduated to the reserves so maybe that will come.

Wisdom is ace - looks completely self-assured and breeds confidence throughout the team. I hope he gets some chances to play in the cups for the first team next season, although there are a few others who may be prioritised ahead of him (Ayala, Wilson etc.)

Just out of interest, what has Coady done to upset you? Since Jay has been promoted to the first team there is a bit of a gaping whole in the reserves' midfield - I'm hoping Coady will fill it next season.

I'm looking forward to seeing the development of the super-promising U18s as they graduate to the reserves.

yeah im the same with irwin. I jist hope he keepsgetting better and he has a chance.

roberts for me is all about retention tidy play and the right pass when he is playing well, but he is inconsitent whcih ia fine for now.
I think wisdom would be great wih ayala- pace and aerial dominance.

coady just seems to be.competent but nothing special though he impressed me th he other day. he seems a clogger

MaradonaJunior
19-4-11, 12:15

Roberts looks good on occasion, but I personally think he is being let down from time to time by Connor Thomas who simply do not impress me at all, having players like Coady or Roddan beside him would free Roberts to concentrate on his playmaking.

I'm still not sure about Andre Wisdom, obviously he is very vocal, very strong and quite fast running in a straight line. I still feel however he is too massive, which will expose him when trying to turn with players faster than him, he won't be able to bully people the same way when he's a senior and for a centre half he isn't tall (enough). Slim him down to make him more athletic and stick him in a defensive midfield or right wing back role.

Liverdinner
20-4-11, 21:22
Hearing good things about the U16s

tonylet
20-4-11, 22:23
Hearing good things about the U16s

Yes, me too. Does anybody know if there is a video of them? I really wanna see this Dunn kid. Probably they are not recored, but if somebody has something, youtube it please :rolleyes:

AlvaroRecoba
20-4-11, 22:30
Coady will make it. Irwin and Roberts won't. There's my prediction.

Barosa
20-4-11, 22:34
Yes, me too. Does anybody know if there is a video of them? I really wanna see this Dunn kid. Probably they are not recored, but if somebody has something, youtube it please :rolleyes:

Few Dunn moments in the u18 man U highlights, first bit starts at 9.50m, nice bit of skill and was very close to finishing. Looked good despite not being on for long.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/video/Reserves-and-Youth/10-11/U18s-hit-United-25719.php3

AlvaroRecoba
20-4-11, 22:35
yeah im the same with irwin. I jist hope he keepsgetting better and he has a chance.

roberts for me is all about retention tidy play and the right pass when he is playing well, but he is inconsitent whcih ia fine for now.
I think wisdom would be great wih ayala- pace and aerial dominance.

coady just seems to be.competent but nothing special though he impressed me th he other day. he seems a clogger

Irwin has no chance. He's already been told he's being let go at the end of the season.

He had a trial at Aberdeen a month or two back and has been offered to clubs in Spain.

Liverdinner
20-4-11, 22:37

Irwin has no chance. He's already been told he's being let go at the end of the season.

He had a trial at Aberdeen a month or two back and has been offered to clubs in Spain.

How old is he?

AlvaroRecoba
20-4-11, 22:38
How old is he?

Who? Dunn or Irwin?

Liverdinner
20-4-11, 22:40
Who? Dunn or Irwin?

Irwin.

AlvaroRecoba
20-4-11, 22:42
Irwin.

Liverdinner
20-4-11, 22:43

Ouch, didnt think he was that old already.
Why do they play him if he is on the way out? Give somebody else a chance.

AlvaroRecoba
20-4-11, 22:45
Ouch, didnt think he was that old already.
Why do they play him if he is on the way out? Give somebody else a chance.

I think they would if the U18s weren't going for the league.

tonylet
20-4-11, 22:52
Few Dunn moments in the u18 man U highlights, first bit starts at 9.50m, nice bit of skill and was very close to finishing. Looked good despite not being on for long.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/video/Reserves-and-Youth/10-11/U18s-hit-United-25719.php3

Thanks. Some nice touches there. Can't wait to see him involved in the u18s.

Liverdinner
22-4-11, 12:46
Just watched a few of the highlights and im feeling really good about our youngsters.

Silva has impressed me more recently, and we already have Suso Sterling Morgan Ngoo Adorjan etc all showing lots of talent. I think Suso has not been so good recently but it is not a huge issue.

I wonder about MOrgan, whether he has enough to his all-round game to succeed here, but signs are good. The youngsters seem properly schooled and it will be a travesty if none make it.

SweetSilverSeven
22-4-11, 12:59
Just watched a few of the highlights and im feeling really good about our youngsters.

Silva has impressed me more recently, and we already have Suso Sterling Morgan Ngoo Adorjan etc all showing lots of talent. I think Suso has not been so good recently but it is not a huge issue.

I wonder about MOrgan, whether he has enough to his all-round game to succeed here, but signs are good. The youngsters seem properly schooled and it will be a travesty if none make it.

It will be, but i'm sure some will!! Especially with KK around, willing to give them their chance!!

The best thing about is that the U16s that are coming thru beneath them are apparantly even better!! Looking forward to it!! :scarf

With suso, i thought he played very well in the second half against aston villa and played well against bolten!! The man city game was difficult as we weren't keeping enough possession, he wasn't getting much of the ball and the citeh players were outmuscling him and the rest of them - it was men against boys really!!

I hope he can play really well against utd this weekend, and might be involved in the latter stages of the U18 league season as they go for the title!!

And yes, Silva's been impressive!! He just needs to become a little bit more of a team player, altho his individual brillinace shines everytime and his confidence is high!! However in first team footbal defences will be better so, he will have to try and link up with his team mates more - but i have my fibgers crossed for him too!! We all know that you need to have patience with portuguese wingers!! ;)

Liverdinner
22-4-11, 13:01
It will be, but i'm sure some will!! Especially with KK around, willing to give them their chance!!

The best thing about is that the U16s that are coming thru beneath them are apparantly even better!! Looking forward to it!! :scarf

With suso, i thought he played very well in the second half against aston villa and played well against bolten!! The man city game was difficult as we weren't keeping enough possession, he wasn't getting much of the ball and the ciyeh players were outmuscling him and all of them - it was men against boys really!!

I hope he can play really well against utd, and might be involved in the latter stages of the U18 league season as they go for the title!!

Yeah. I hope players are promoted on merit rather than birthplace but yeah Kenny is the man to do it.

Ive heard that too, talent after talent seems to come into the u18s now.

He has been out of position a bit to be fair to him. I think he needs players around him to play properly so that he can express himself. But I agree with you.

fejlip13
22-4-11, 16:25
Well, it's been a while. Busy month personally.

Lots of developments though with the reserves finally getting back to games and the youth team doing what they've been threatening for a while under Borrell.

May have posted in this thread, but definitely elsewhere if not, that I hoped Adam Morgan would soon start finding the goals as he gradually adapts to this age level. And he has. Something I quite like about him. He's not the most obviously athletic, and yet he gets around the pitch, works hard, and has a real striker's intelligence about him in terms of positioning and movement.

Again I'll point out Adorjan for praise though. Due credit has gone to Sterling and Coady and others of late for the Youth team's stunning form, but you just have to watch the highlights to see how many killer balls Adorjan picks from nowhere, game after game. Anyway, going relatively under the radar may be no bad thing for the kind of player he is. It worries me when there's too much pressure on players who rely on guile, rhythm, vision. They are attributes that can't be forced in a game. Unlike pace and power they need to be allowed freedom to adapt themselves.

With that in mind I wonder whether Suso's mini (and it is only minor, purely relative to that of early season) dip in form is down to the reserves relative lack of creativity? That said, Bruna has made himself useful on the right (though if he'd been more clinical he'd have got himself 6 or 7 goals in the last 3 games). And then there's Ince...

Got to say he's surprised me with his improvement since coming back from loan but his attitude (as I've picked out before) has been near appalling, particularly in the last match where he sulked, refused to pass, and treated the game like a X-factor style solo audition....in which he failed miserably. I've said before, and will do so with renewed conviction now, it may just be best to call it a day with him. Not for a lack of talent (though he is a quarter as talented as he and his dad think) but because of a poisonous egocentric attitude and the interference of Paul. Adjarevic left for less obvious issues. At the time people were concerned at the decision. Since then he's struggled to get a contract at League One level and left the country last time I checked.

Anyway, to end on a positive: great to see Wisdom and Cooper back from injury. Anyone know the latest on Ngoo?

Academy have Blackburn tomorrow. For anyone that hasn't seen their league table:
http://www.premierleague.com/page/YouthCTable

Their sensational form, and gradual catching up of games in hand, has seen them climb from 8th to 4th. Best GD in the league and are now in a position where winning their 3 games in hand would take them top. Keep it going all. Then there's United in the youth cup.

He plays in sweden now, Norrköping in Allsvenskan...

sfsanj
24-4-11, 04:01
Great to see Coady on the bench and this is superb from Dalglish and the coaching staff.
The issue has been that kirby and melwood are not close in prominent and there is not enough room at either place to have both youth and reserve/1st team. So what do they do - ensure the brightest talent get involved with the 1st team at Melwood and then on match day and europe travel. Simple really. Makes you wonder why past mgt did not do this. (Although Rafa did make Robinson the youngest ever debutant at the club) You can see why Rafa was soo upset to leave - the academy is going to great for Kenny...and he's put a load of work into it to.

Just hope that those who come through have character like carra and stevie and not m.owen. 1 club and fight for their lives for the red shirt until the club moves them on. The club always comes first.

Liverdinner
7-7-11, 12:24
How do you see it coming along now WFMM?

WIsdom signing a new contract extension is a great sign for me, I think he is quality.

But I dont know what dead wood we have got rid of;

WineForMyMen
7-7-11, 13:48
How do you see it coming along now WFMM?

WIsdom signing a new contract extension is a great sign for me, I think he is quality.

But I dont know what dead wood we have got rid of;

Was going to bump this myself at some stage ;)

But we definitely need to work on something for the new season along with yourself, 50pHead and Kopitecrash etc. I know 50p has something in mind.

Posted this (http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=251315) (bit of a monster) a while back stating that our reserves team next season is going to be more important than ever but to get the most out of it we have a huge clearout operation on our hands because the squad is just too bloated at present. I've got a thread on that too elsewhere, but just to give a very brief example: In the next 24-hours we could find ourselves with 5 GKs and 9 CMs on the books...and that's before we even consider the likes of Belford and Coady.

The new reserves set-up is obviously fantastic, and I'm seriously looking forward to watching them next year (along with the u-18s who will be largely made up of last season's even more impressive u-16s: the likes of Petersson, Bayo, Dunn, McLaughlin).

Bouzanis (slightly odd one that - seems to have been another Buchtmann in terms of behind the scenes attitude issues), Chamberlain (crap), Irwin (crap), Cooper (another one that was oddly out of contention for a while), Saric (talented but ultimately very disappointing use of such ability) have all been released. I'm a bit surprised that the likes of Mendy haven't, but perhaps another wave of announcements are due. We seriously need to get rid of the likes of Darby or he'll become the new El Zhar...still playing in the reserves at 23. We also need to get rid of Poulsen types though...because at times they had to take up reserves spots last season just to stay fit.

We all wait to see what this Blackpool deal involves, but Shelvey has been the most cited loanee (I'd have preferred to not sign Adam and have kept Jonjo here, but there we go). Talk of Wilson being involved or going back on loan to Rangers (I certainly think the latter is a backwards step). Even Eccleston has been mentioned, and he does certainly seem to be on his way. Ince has been linked to Fulham or at least being released on a free. I think we need rid of his poisonous influence quite honestly.

Still plenty of work to do though. As I mentioned in that other thread on my vision for the reserves, it needs to be full of players that are genuinely hungry and genuinely have futures here. No more El Zhars and Irwins and Sarics. But I see it functioning on a two-tier level:

1) Benefiting previous season's u18s and those that haven't yet tasted first team duty.

2) Keeping the likes of Flanagan, Robinson, even Kelly fresh and in practice...whilst at the same time allowing them to pass on experience.

So the core squad could be something like:

GK. Gulasci looks set for loan. Frankly I don't rate either of Hansen or Stephens particularly highly, the next one I prefer is Belford, but he's still young and will probably be first choice u-18s keeper with the odd reserves game here and there.

RB: Whilst GJ and Kelly stay fit I think Flanagan will still be first choice RB. And thing is, there's a bit of a derth between him and the Northern Irish lad from last years u-16s. Patrick Poor looked Ok, without doing anything sensational yet but he oddly seems to have dropped off all player lists :confused: Still only 17 though. Rafferty looked dodgy at RB towards the end of the season. Perhaps this is why we're keeping Mendy for now. Wonder if RB will be forced on Aylmer - otherwise he's been going nowhere too.

CB: Obviously Wisdom is the main man and can hopefully stay injury free. Wilson could get some games if he stays. Otherwise I wouldn't mind Kelly playing there again from time to time there just so we can adapt him to that position at senior level. Don't expect Coady to ever move back now. Sokolik was in a bit of a no-man's land last season but will surely get more games. Mavinga looks set to be sold. Wonder if Ayala has a future. Sama will presumably move up, and possibly McGiveron from time to time. Regan's obviously an international but I expect he'll be first choice u-18s next year.

LB: Absolutely sorted here at youth level. Robinson first choice still, Brad Smith excellent back up, and even after him there's another international in King.

CM: Actually think we've been short in this position at reserves and youth level for years. Duran and Poloskei both had talent but injuries ruined things. Coady is obviously going to be there now. Roddan doesn't particularly inspire me. Hatch is just too injured so struggles for that rhythm. Sumner behind them doesn't get so eulogised. Hajdu isn't so young either. The lad from Coventry was a disaster. Roberts has been decent without excelling, but he's 20 this year. What the hell happened to Kohlert last season? He at least had obvious talent on the ball. Spearing may have to still get games here though, and I wonder if Suso will play in a kind of fluid midfield 3 from time to time?

RM: Well it's Silva's isn't it really? And a big, big year for him. After him though who? Petersson the next natural perhaps, but otherwise Suso? Clearly more comfortable elsewhere. Amoo should go I think, but obviously if he's still around... And Kohlert has played there too in the past but I don't think he's a natural.

LM: Spoilt for choices with Sterling, Suso, Walsh, Mukendi. Pacheco may even need games there if he's staying. And, like Mendy, why is Bruna still here? Not that he doesn't have talent, but he's another Saric in terms of consistency. Christ, there's even Ince if he stays.

AM: Adorjan. Suso. Maybe Pacheco on occasion if he's here. Fairly simple you'd think. Suso seriously needs to find a position though for the short-term. Versatility is great, but he'll be getting worried about his first team chances if there's no breakthrough role for him at least on the bench come the end of the season.

FW: Really disappointing for Ngoo with his injuries last season. He'll seriously have to hit the ground running to stay on course this year. Morgan is the obvious talent putting the pressure on, though is still young. What happened to Emilsson last term too?

Serious talent there, but still a bit lop-sided (CM and the right-side are weaker in depth to a fair extent). No wonder we've been linked to one or two signings (the lad at Sevilla and Niang for example). Was interesting reading that Segura plan thread. Especially the principles of promoting possesion football, looking to street football as an influenced, and signing 2 top foreign youngsters in world football + others as and when needed to fill gaps.

Christ, I've gone on too long. So what do you reckon yourself? :D

alwaysonside
7-7-11, 14:38
Serious talent there, but still a bit lop-sided (CM and the right-side are weaker in depth to a fair extent). No wonder we've been linked to one or two signings (the lad at Sevilla and Niang for example). Was interesting reading that Segura plan thread. Especially the principles of promoting possesion football, looking to street football as an influenced, and signing 2 top foreign youngsters in world football + others as and when needed to fill gaps.

Christ, I've gone on too long. So what do you reckon yourself? :D

Excellent post. As always (esp. when it comes to our youth players), very perceptive. Just one thing I'd add to the above in terms of positions being weaker in depth: striker. We haven't really had any young player capable of being a decent third/fourth choice striker while having the ability to push on and seriously challenge for a first team place for quite some time. Obviously, there were Fowler and Owen (yes, I don't like what he has gone on to do, but we can't deny the talent he had when he burst onto the scene), but since then, no-one.

This worries me, particularly since this is always going to be an expensive position to buy for. Luckily we have two young first team strikers and an experienced back-up to them in Kuyt (Ngog seems to be heading out). However, we do need to groom players in this position. We don't necessarily need another Fowler or Owen (I certainly believe that there are youngsters in other positions who have the talent and ability to make that sort of impact), just someone who will be an able deputy for our first choice players, allowing us to spend big on the first choice when necessary without having to split the amount between a lesser first choice and an able deputy.

I agree that the centre of midfield has long been a problem. To be fair, though, so has most of our youth set-up until recently. Central midfielders are notoriously hard to develop. This could be the reason why we bought Shelvey last season and Henderson this. Coady aside (and he is a different type of player to the Shelvey and Henderson), we don't have anyone else who could potentially make the step up to become part of the first team squad. We barely have enough decent players to make up the centre of the midfield at Academy and Reserve levels.

Applying the above logic conversely, it would explain why we are going for Downing as opposed to a younger alternative down the wings. We have some very exciting young players on the wings (I would argue that the right-side isn't as weak as you suggested since Sterling can play there as well) who the Club feel can make the grade. That means we need someone proven in the League who can deliver now and who wants to play for us, giving us the opportunity to groom the youngsters and allow them to make the breakthrough before judging whether they have what it takes to play for the first team.

WineForMyMen
7-7-11, 15:05
Excellent post. As always (esp. when it comes to our youth players), very perceptive. Just one thing I'd add to the above in terms of positions being weaker in depth: striker. We haven't really had any young player capable of being a decent third/fourth choice striker while having the ability to push on and seriously challenge for a first team place for quite some time. Obviously, there were Fowler and Owen (yes, I don't like what he has gone on to do, but we can't deny the talent he had when he burst onto the scene), but since then, no-one.

This worries me, particularly since this is always going to be an expensive position to buy for. Luckily we have two young first team strikers and an experienced back-up to them in Kuyt (Ngog seems to be heading out). However, we do need to groom players in this position. We don't necessarily need another Fowler or Owen (I certainly believe that there are youngsters in other positions who have the talent and ability to make that sort of impact), just someone who will be an able deputy for our first choice players, allowing us to spend big on the first choice when necessary without having to split the amount between a lesser first choice and an able deputy.

I agree that the centre of midfield has long been a problem. To be fair, though, so has most of our youth set-up until recently. Central midfielders are notoriously hard to develop. This could be the reason why we bought Shelvey last season and Henderson this. Coady aside (and he is a different type of player to the Shelvey and Henderson), we don't have anyone else who could potentially make the step up to become part of the first team squad. We barely have enough decent players to make up the centre of the midfield at Academy and Reserve levels.

Applying the above logic conversely, it would explain why we are going for Downing as opposed to a younger alternative down the wings. We have some very exciting young players on the wings (I would argue that the right-side isn't as weak as you suggested since Sterling can play there as well) who the Club feel can make the grade. That means we need someone proven in the League who can deliver now and who wants to play for us, giving us the opportunity to groom the youngsters and allow them to make the breakthrough before judging whether they have what it takes to play for the first team.

Entirely agree, though of course with Fowler and Owen you are talking one of the most natural finishers Europe has seen in the last two decades and the only British player to win the Ballon d'Or in however many decades. And after them we had a striker that was probably the finest in the world at one point.

And quite honestly Nemeth was hampered by injuries at the worst possible time and I still think we were too hasty in selling LDV.

Morgan is a huge talent, and you can see why people make Fowler comparisons. But he's young. A good year off first team yet you'd think. Ngoo was very unlucky with injuries (similar to Nemeth - exactly the wrong time) but if he really hits the ground running this season then he could certainly pressurise N'Gog (or whoever) from Easter onwards. Emilsson still looked useful, though time will there where he's at now because he slipped off the radar for whatever reason. And behind them we have some talented u-16s moving up...and those heavy links to Niang of course (amongst other strikers - there was a Scandanavian lad too we were linked to for months last season).

I wouldn't be so concerned. Remember a 4-2-3-1 only employs one out and out striker. And with Suarez, Pacheco, Suso, Adorjan, Dunn (+Kuyt +Gerrard) we have plenty of talent in the second role.

kopitecrash
7-7-11, 15:15
Okay, so you want to get a blog up and running? There's a few places you can start. A precedent for this is the young guns blog, an arsenal reserves and youth blog which is huuge, and seemingly with eyes everywhere. That blog however, moved from one site to another, more able and pretty website as it grew.

You are right, more and more the youth system is going to become a focal point of the football club, and much as a part of me says that to criticize youngster on what would hopefully become a big blog would be too early. Then again we all have our different ways of seeing the youth system and to take the variety out of it would be tyrannical to a degree. :D

What we could do is assign each writer three or four players to look out for in the reserves/youth system, so that everyone gets coverage. I would also prefer to keep it more positive, but we can do it anyway really. If you want I can go find a good blog creator and make something up for you all to take a look at.

EDIT: Also what would you call it?

kopitecrash
7-7-11, 21:44
Okay, so WFMM, Liverdinner, 50phead? I threw a blog together.

http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/

It's raw, and obviously we need more writers but if you guys want to use this blog then just contact me in the blog and I'll add you as writers. Anyone else, fancy yourselves as writers? Send articles to the blog, as detailed on the site and if it's considered good enough, then it'll get on the website. But for now I just want to get together the writers in time for a few days ahead of the friendlies. Hopefully it can be made quite a big thing. :)

50P-WSTB-Head
7-7-11, 21:50
Okay, so WFMM, Liverdinner, 50phead? I threw a blog together.

It's raw, and obviously we need more writers but if you guys want to use this blog then just contact me in the blog and I'll add you as writers. Anyone else, fancy yourselves as writers? Send articles to the blog, as detailed on the site and if it's considered good enough, then it'll get on the website. But for now I just want to get together the writers in time for a few days ahead of the friendlies. Hopefully it can be made quite a big thing. :)

Excellent mate, I wasn't going have the time to follow through my idea. I'm over the moon that you've done this.

Defiantly count me in.

I'll send you email if needed.

kopitecrash
7-7-11, 22:00
Excellent mate, I wasn't going have the time to follow through my idea. I'm over the moon that you've done this.

Defiantly count me in.

I'll send you email if needed.

Yeah I'll need it. Just send it to the e-mail address and I can add you to the authors list. Meanwhile I'm going to go advertise on RAWK too.

50P-WSTB-Head
7-7-11, 22:03
Yeah I'll need it. Just send it to the e-mail address and I can add you to the authors list. Meanwhile I'm going to go advertise on RAWK too.

Excellent idea, will be nice having writers from various message boards rather than just the one.

I'll drop you an email shortly mate.

WineForMyMen
7-7-11, 22:15
Kopite - sorry, missed your post on this earlier mate but nice work. Definitely count me in, but might be tomorrow before I get that email across just because I can't access the right account from this computer at the moment.

Would be worth having a mutual following/followed thing with Dave Usher I reckon. Seeing as he's one of the other consistent youth followers out there.

Who were the other people from here that regularly posted in the u-18s/reserve match threads?

And yes, we should have a kind of 'house guide' based on only constructive criticism of the youngsters. Or at least a scale whereby the 21(ish)-year-old first team fringers (Shelvey, Kelly, Wilson, Gulasci and the like) are more open to it than the likes of Belford, Smith, Morgan, Dunn

50P-WSTB-Head
7-7-11, 22:20
Kopite - sorry, missed your post on this earlier mate but nice work. Definitely count me in, but might be tomorrow before I get that email across just because I can't access the right account from this computer at the moment.

Would be worth having a mutual following/followed thing with Dave Usher I reckon. Seeing as he's one of the other consistent youth followers out there.

Who were the other people from here that regularly posted in the u-18s/reserve match threads?

And yes, we should have a kind of 'house guide' based on only constructive criticism of the youngsters. Or at least a scale whereby the 21(ish)-year-old first team fringers (Shelvey, Kelly, Wilson, Gulasci and the like) are more open to it than the likes of Belford, Smith, Morgan, Dunn

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I also like the idea of each writer having a selected number of players to write about. You could even rotate players every so often if wanted/needed.

kopitecrash
7-7-11, 22:25

I also like the idea of each writer having a selected number of players to write about. You could even rotate players every so often if wanted/needed.

Aye, I agree with that. I'll set that out as one of the rules for new authors.

kopitecrash
7-7-11, 22:26

Cool, good to have you. Sorry, I have no idea who Dave Usher is, although I assume he's twitter based. I'll look over some of the old youth reserve threads and see who's up for it.

kopitecrash
7-7-11, 22:30

I have no idea how to organise this though, which could be a problem. I could mark each author on the right hand side of the website, along with the players he's bound to. Yeah, that could work. So, take your pick guys. Who do you want? Maybe pick three or four players for now.

50P-WSTB-Head
7-7-11, 22:31
Cool, good to have you. Sorry, I have no idea who Dave Usher is, although I assume he's twitter based. I'll look over some of the old youth reserve threads and see who's up for it.

I've given details out to a few reds on Twitter who I've told to contact you to declare their interest.

kopitecrash
7-7-11, 22:33
I've given details out to a few reds on Twitter who I've told to contact you to declare their interest.

Brilliant, thanks very much.

50P-WSTB-Head
7-7-11, 22:38
I'll take these three, if anyone however really fancied having any of them, let me know and I'll swap, not Peterson tho haha!.

Kristoffer Peterson

Bruna

Adorjan

kopitecrash
7-7-11, 22:42
I'll take these three, if anyone however really fancied having any of them, let me know and I'll swap, not Peterson tho haha!.

Kristoffer Peterson

Bruna

Adorjan

Cool. Want to be known as 50phead or your birth name?

50P-WSTB-Head
7-7-11, 22:50
Cool. Want to be known as 50phead or your birth name?

50pHead is fine mate.

kopitecrash
7-7-11, 23:02
50pHead is fine mate.

Sorted. I've gone for Spearing, Ngoo and Dunn.
Depending on how many writers we get, I am a little wary of running out of players to give around, so in the unlikely event of that happening we'll just have to reduce to two player each or something.

WineForMyMen
7-7-11, 23:04

Dave Usher runs The Liverpool Way mag and website. Some of the better coverage of u-18s and u-16s and for some years too I think.

Will post a bit more tomorrow (got some work to finish and email off tonight) but just a couple of ideas for starters:

Probably best not to assign players to posters yet if that's how we're attacking it. Or best not to make too many decisions on it until we have our contributors sorted. Then it's probably a good idea if each contributor posts a little intro and we set up a twitter account so we can garner a bit of publicity from the likes of Barrett, Smith, Boardman, Tomkins & Co.

WineForMyMen
7-7-11, 23:11

Kristoffer Peterson

Bruna

Adorjan

Noooooooooooo!!! :D

But seriously, we should probably hold back til we know numbers. Both because we need to know how many players to follow and I'm not sure someone will be so enthusiastic coming on board if they're told to post on Stephens, Hajdu and Mendy.

kopitecrash
7-7-11, 23:16

But seriously, we should probably hold back til we know numbers. Both because we need to know how many players to follow and I'm not sure someone will be so enthusiastic coming on board if they're told to post on Stephens, Hajdu and Mendy.

Hmmm...yeah I think you're probably right. I'll take that bit down for now.

50P-WSTB-Head
7-7-11, 23:28

I've agreed that holding off till we know how many writers we have is a good idea.

I won't begrudge you Adorjan either, just as long I get Peterson. :P

kopitecrash
7-7-11, 23:31
For those who are sortof wanting to take a crack at writing on the blog but aren't too sure about it, this will be the basic plan.

'I think the basic plan will be for wannabe writers to submit a 300-500 word article to me and if we like it we'll post it as a guest article with your name. More good articles and we'll invite you to post regularly basically, to check for consistency. But I can help you improve if you want - I'm no writing master but I've been writing on Soccerlens for a while and I know a few odds and ends.'

kopitecrash
8-7-11, 00:48
first blog article. just a time killing article before the real youth stuff but still, i think it's good, so there.

http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/07/beware-youth-players-tides-of-tactical.html

Beware, Youth Players, The Tides Of Tactical Change

Before we gather writers and organised our first push on internet domination, NAL (Next Anfield Legend) would like to take you into a grey-er area of youth development, one that is extremely uncertain - what if a talented player's chance never comes? Of course this can be down to sheer luck - the players injuries, or the senior players ahead of that talented starlet staying healthy. And then, there is an all the more complex manner of making it and not making then the relatively simplistic aspect of luck - that of simply being made less valid in a tactically ever changing game country and continent wide.
-------

So lets take for example the fates of two different full backs. One, Emiliano Insua, the other Steven Darby. Insua got sporadic games up until he was 19, upon when he started a string of games and impressed going into the next season, where his form deteriorated and his future is now uncertain.

Steven Darby meanwhile was overlooked for the first team right back role on a number of occasions, ultimately got his debut against Fiorentina and will probably never play for the club again - he has gone on loan to Rochdale in league one, with his contract expiring in less then a year and counting. While Insua has suffered a hitch in his career, but has still made numerous international appearances for Argentina and a lot of appearances for very good teams (Liverpool and Galatasaray respectively.) Meanwhile Steven Darby's career at Liverpool, and indeed at a high level is all but over.

But the two were both good at reserve level. Darby was every bit a captain of a reserve side that became the champions of England, and Insua was his left sided partner is fullback related crime. It could have been argued that the difference in their abilities after that was game time - but again, we see something strange here. Where Insua was eventually picked ahead of the defensively weak Dossenna, Darby numerous times had no fullback ahead of him and yet wasn't picked, which arguably led to his stagnation. But why?

The answer lies in their styles. Benitez played a formation where the wingers would cut inside, adding more bodies to the attack - remember Kuyt, our right sided attack who would drop into the back post or simply drift into the center where his intelligence could do damage. Therefore he needed attacking fullbacks. Enter Emiliano Insua - who lit up the reserves with spectacular runs forward, and did the same for Liverpool, for a while.

Darby on the other hand was reliable - a stalwart at the back who wasn't so spectacular, wasn't so attack minded. The answer is that in Benitez's picture, Darby didn't fit into the role that was needed where Insua did. And so he decided to pick more experienced players to fill the position - Carragher, Mascherano, even Skrtel once - because while Darby was a right back, he wasn't the right type of right back.

That is tactical fate for you, and maybe goes someway to explaining why some players who look the part, look like they should make it, simply don't. Perhaps, they don't fit in the greater scheme of things. And who knows, under perhaps the more conservative Houllier, it might have been Darby, the reliable one, rather then Insua, the luxury one who got the games for Liverpool.

kopitecrash
8-7-11, 13:14
Article from a new writer called Graeme B is on the site now.

Why Do Great Talents Fail?

'Samba was a 14 year old prodigy in the mould of Raheem Sterling, or more accurately Michael Ngoo – being as Samba played at Millwall too. According to urban myth and folklore, Liverpool won the race for the prodigy, and a fee agreed. Before the deal was rubber stamped, Samba went out beating his chest and Liverpool pulled the deal. Understandably heartbroken at losing his one dream move (take note Robbie Keane) Samba went downhill last playing in the Greek second tier. And that as they say, is that.'

Read on if you would like. (http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/)

Liverdinner
8-7-11, 13:24
Good post WFMM

I really am looking forward to seeing the u16 players making the step up after what everybody is saying about them. Smith was horrific with England recently but Dunn looked pretty decent so I expect much.

I am disappointed that we are letting Mavinga go it seems. For me he had a lot of talent, being quick and good on the ball as well as good in the tackle. He didnt really get any chances and I dont think it was fair. Similarly Ayala could do with one last push to see if he has what it takes. Both id expect to make decent careers elsewhere though.

Finally, it really is make or break time for Pacheco. Kenny needs to give him games behind the striker so we can see the extent of the damage of 3 years languishing in the reserves not improving and assess if he needs to be moved on.

50P-WSTB-Head
8-7-11, 13:25
Article from a new writer called Graeme B is on the site now.

Read on if you would like. (http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/)

Good read that.

I'm going write about the upcoming u-19's mini CL this evening, complete with groups and fixtures etc. Will be posted before 10pm.

WineForMyMen
8-7-11, 13:30
All looking good.

I'm going to give it a proper read, get my email across and possibly get a bit of intro writing out tonight...but am frantic with work today.

WineForMyMen
8-7-11, 13:38
Good post WFMM

I really am looking forward to seeing the u16 players making the step up after what everybody is saying about them. Smith was horrific with England recently but Dunn looked pretty decent so I expect much.

I am disappointed that we are letting Mavinga go it seems. For me he had a lot of talent, being quick and good on the ball as well as good in the tackle. He didnt really get any chances and I dont think it was fair. Similarly Ayala could do with one last push to see if he has what it takes. Both id expect to make decent careers elsewhere though.

Finally, it really is make or break time for Pacheco. Kenny needs to give him games behind the striker so we can see the extent of the damage of 3 years languishing in the reserves not improving and assess if he needs to be moved on.

Mavinga, like Pacheco so far, just hasn't been given the chances he should have been before writing him off. So I completely agree about being disappointed there. Two finalists and stars of the u-19s just last summer. When you think about the hype and valuations placed on the likes of Smalling and Wellbeck (and then watch the disastrous England u-21s side) there seems to be a ridiculous and ridiculously unfair gap in perceived ability/valuation of young foreigners vs young English players.

Of course youth tournament performances don't always translate to superstar senior careers, but these performances were just last summer (and who'd bet against the players repeating them in the u-20s?). They've been poorly handled in the last 12 months. If Mavinga (French winning captain) goes for the reported €1m, when you consider that Smalling went for what? £9m? with pretty much as little exposure, and just as young, then there's something amiss there.

In fact...I might make a blog post on just this topic, because it's all very well rubbing our hands at the prospect of Sterling and Wisdom, but we're on the verge of wasting our two best talents that should be getting their first real first team chances NOW.

Liverdinner
8-7-11, 13:44
Mavinga, like Pacheco so far, just hasn't been given the chances he should have been before writing him off. So I completely agree about being disappointed there. Two finalists and stars of the u-19s just last summer. When you think about the hype and valuations placed on the likes of Smalling and Wellbeck (and then watch the disastrous England u-21s side) there seems to be a ridiculous and ridiculously unfair gap in perceived ability/valuation of young foreigners vs young English players.

Of course youth tournament performances don't always translate to superstar senior careers, but these performances were just last summer (and who'd bet against the players repeating them in the u-20s?). They've been poorly handled in the last 12 months. If Mavinga (French winning captain) goes for the reported €1m, when you consider that Smalling went for what? £9m? with pretty much as little exposure, and just as young, then there's something amiss there.

In fact...I might make a blog post on just this topic, because it's all very well rubbing our hands at the prospect of Sterling and Wisdom, but we're on the verge of wasting our two best talents that should be getting their first real first team chances NOW.

Agreed/

Surely those performances and their performances for our ressies suggest they at least have enough talent to get a shot at playing for us. No disrespect to them but Mavinga and Pacheco imo are more talented than Flanagan and Robinson yet havent got close really.

kopitecrash
8-7-11, 15:11
Agreed/

Surely those performances and their performances for our ressies suggest they at least have enough talent to get a shot at playing for us. No disrespect to them but Mavinga and Pacheco imo are more talented than Flanagan and Robinson yet havent got close really.

Do you want to take part in the blog Liverdinner?

kopitecrash
8-7-11, 15:24

Well the signing of Smalling for 10 mill I think it was has proved to be a good signing by united. Meanwhile Mavinga only got 9 appearances for Genk, and the Belgium league is not a top league. He's probably worth more then a million and I hope we would have clauses to boost that to a fair sum in time - but he's not proved himself to be anywhere near Smallings level, not for me.

Meanwhile I think Pacheco was simply strangled of oppurtunities in his prefferred position by a) Gerrard playing there for the entirety of Benitez's reign and then b) Roys 4-4-2 which didn't allow for a trequartista, just a target man and Torres. I still have hope for him though.

But to answer the argument that Flanagan and Robinson got in ahead of them I would say that Mavinga was out on loan at the time. And really, now that Flanagan has proved himself to be very good at the step up who in their right mind is going to say 'now go back to the reserves because mavingas come back and he's performed well for a side from belgium'? That would be incredibly harsh.

RyanBabylon
8-7-11, 16:10

Kristoffer Peterson

Bruna

Adorjan

Has Peterson made any appearances as of yet?

Liverdinner
8-7-11, 16:18
Do you want to take part in the blog Liverdinner?

What is it, I havent had time to read through this thread fully yet

kopitecrash
8-7-11, 16:19

kopitecrash
8-7-11, 16:23
Has Peterson made any appearances as of yet?

Hah. No but he'll be moving up into the under 18's and presumably 50phead likes what he has heard :P

WineForMyMen
10-7-11, 12:17
Finally got that email across mate.

Going to be very interesting to see who goes on this Tour with Kenny stating that it will be pointless taking players that aren't going to get game time.

Coady, Shelvey and Spearing might still all expect to be going given that Gerrard, Henderson, Lucas and reportedly Meireles won't be.

And we're a little short up front unless Jova or El Zhar make miraculous returns.

Even with Cole on board it is still only him, Maxi, Kuyt, Pacheco, Carroll, N'Gog for those attacking positions isn't it? 6 players for 3/4 roles. If Pacheco doesn't get on board the flight it will be seriously depressing for him. So even someone like Suso could be a surprise inclusion given the numbers and absence of Suarez + any further AM signings.

kopitecrash
10-7-11, 12:23
Fine timing WFMM, I was about to update this with a new blog post.

Buying Talent and Developing Talent: The War Of Philosophy

So yesterday apparently, the long awaited battle over the financial fair play rules imposed by UEFA began. Manchester City's new inflated sponsorship deal without a doubt sent ripples of concern through the top clubs around Europe, their elite status threatened once again by the Sheikh funded new boys on the block. If their 400 million pound deal with Etihad airlines, a ten year contract, were to go ahead (and it is pretty likely that it will) then you could probably expect to start seeing a lot more of these deals - Chelsea sponsored by Abramovich's oil company for much bigger sums for example, or Real Madrid just deciding to throw all pretense out of the window and just get a massive sponsorship deal with the Spanish Government.

http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/07/buying-talent-and-developing-talent-war.html

Also, been reading on rawk about Robinson apparently playing in a 5 aside league, which people were horrified about. Personally I think it's interesting, probably worth a blog post about the pros and cons of doing it. Injury was quite a big concern.

kopitecrash
12-7-11, 09:51
Why Charlie Adam Could Be Pivotal To Conor Coady's Future Career

You probably expect Lucas to be tutoring the young captain Conor Coady on his future defensive midfield role, at least I think you do. Maybe Gerrard, considering his first days in the same position, although he has long left that slot behind. Hell, if you want to move the kid to centre back then there's no-one better to teach him the role then Carragher - that is, providing Carragher doesn't teach Coady how to pass.

Of course, there's always Charlie Adam.

http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/07/why-charlie-adam-could-be-pivotal-to.html

Enjoy!

MaradonaJunior
12-7-11, 10:16
Love the blog! Great idea, great execution so far.

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 10:19

Hah. No but he'll be moving up into the under 18's and presumably 50phead likes what he has heard :P

He was in an around the u18 towards the back end of last season, will be promoted this year to full time u18 Imagine.

I've read a bit about him and he seems very level headed, the reason he choose to come here was partly because we were offering an eduction package so he would be able to continue his studies.

He looks like a tidy player from the short amount of footage I've seen, quick and direct also seems to have a little bit of flair.

He will be one to look out for this season that's for sure, I'm hopeful of securing a Q&A session with him too, I've made contact asking if its something he would considered doing later in the season and he replied saying sure.

I've got a bit of work on this week mate, if I get some free time tho I'll get something posted on the blog.

kopitecrash
12-7-11, 10:54
He will be one to look out for this season that's for sure, I'm hopeful of securing a Q&A session with him too, I've made contact asking if its something he would considered doing later in the season and he replied saying sure.

I've got a bit of work on this week mate, if I get some free time tho I'll get something posted on the blog.

Seriously? :eek: That is awesome...

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 11:01
Seriously? :eek: That is awesome...

Yea will be a nice feature for the site.

I'll told him I'd let the blog grow a little bit before contacting him again, Will also give him a chance to establish himself in the u18 set up.

I feel once the site grows a bit and the season is underway and its being updated daily with new articles, more players could be persuaded to participate. Who knows could become a monthly feature if all gos well. :scarf

kopitecrash
12-7-11, 11:03
Yea will be a nice feature for the site.

I'll told him I'd let the blog grow a little bit before contacting him again, Will also give him a chance to establish himself in the u18 set up.

I feel once the site grows a bit and the season is underway and its being updated daily with new articles, more players could be persuaded to participate. Who knows could become a monthly feature if all gos well. :scarf

Coincidentally, this just turned up on rawk. http://the-trawler.com/2011/07/10/kristoffer-peterson-im-not-afraid-to-shine/ Dunno what it changes for you, but thought I should alert you to it nonetheless.

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 11:10
Coincidentally, this just turned up on rawk. http://the-trawler.com/2011/07/10/kristoffer-peterson-im-not-afraid-to-shine/ Dunno what it changes for you, but thought I should alert you to it nonetheless.

Echos everything I've read about him so far to be honest, knows hes going have to work extremely hard and his more than willing to do so.

I can't wait to watch him in action this coming season, will be a pleasure reporting on his development.

How many writers we have at the moment mate?

kopitecrash
12-7-11, 11:18
Echos everything I've read about him so far to be honest, knows hes going have to work extremely hard and his more than willing to do so.

I can't wait to watch him in action this coming season, will be a pleasure reporting on his development.

How many writers we have at the moment mate?

4 permanent, 2 who were interested last time i spoke to them. i'm keeping them in the loop and going to start on the liverpool way soon, maybe contact david usher. actually, the guy on that site with the peterson interview looks good, it might be worth asking him if he wants to join...

MaradonaJunior
12-7-11, 11:22
@kopitecrash

I was wondering if you have given any second thought to the picture at the top of the blog - I mean no offense, but it seem a little thrown-together-quickly, maybe you could get on of the guys from the photoshop threads to do a banner for it.

It might be a minor concern at this point, I'm just thinking out visibly with my fingers ;)

kopitecrash
12-7-11, 11:23
@kopitecrash

I was wondering if you have given any second thought to the picture at the top of the blog - I mean no offense, but it seem a little thrown-together-quickly, maybe you could get on of the guys from the photoshop threads to do a banner for it.

It might be a minor concern at this point, I'm just thinking out visibly with my fingers ;)

it was done on paint actually :P yeah a better banner head would be nice. ill see what the photoshop people can do.

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 11:23
4 permanent, 2 who were interested last time i spoke to them. i'm keeping them in the loop and going to start on the liverpool way soon, maybe contact david usher. actually, the guy on that site with the peterson interview looks good, it might be worth asking him if he wants to join...

Go for it mate, the more the better. :)

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 11:28
I created the one for the guessing game, if you can't find anyone to do one for TNAL then I'll knock something up over the weekend.

kopitecrash
12-7-11, 11:37
I created the one for the guessing game, if you can't find anyone to do one for TNAL then I'll knock something up over the weekend.

Just asked the people in the warrior photoshop thread, and I fugured it would be good to have all the perma writers decide on this one. If you want to knock something up then go for it.

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 11:40
Just asked the people in the warrior photoshop thread, and I fugured it would be good to have all the perma writers decide on this one. If you want to knock something up then go for it.

If I get some free time I'll put something together, I'm sure the guys in Warrior thread will knock something very good up tho.

MaradonaJunior
12-7-11, 11:41
Just asked the people in the warrior photoshop thread.

I saw that - I've gone from (Maradona) Junior to theLegend :D Booyah.

Hope you get some positive feedback.

kopitecrash
12-7-11, 11:41
I saw that - I've gone from (Maradona) Junior to theLegend :D Booyah.

Hope you get some positive feedback.

Oh yeah, got your name completely wrong. Ah well, it'll do. :P

jamiechloe
12-7-11, 14:32
I just noticed that the reserves are playing today, bit surprised Suso or Ecclestone hasnt gone to Asia

MiroTheRed
12-7-11, 14:35
I just noticed that the reserves are playing today, bit surprised Suso or Ecclestone hasnt gone to Asia

2-2

el zhar scores

Scrams
12-7-11, 14:38
2-2

el zhar scores

Apparently a wonderful pass by Suso to create the opening.

Scrams
12-7-11, 14:42
3-2 Liverpool. Suso starts it, releases Amoo who crosses for Eccleston to head in at back post.

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 14:43
3-3 now, sounds like a cracking game.

HT

Scrams
12-7-11, 14:46
3-3 half-time. A screamer from their No.11 pulled it back before HT.

Lot of rusty play so far but that is expected.

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 14:48
3-3 half-time. A screamer from their No.11 pulled it back before HT.

Lot of rusty play so far but that is expected.

Are you watching it?

Scrams
12-7-11, 14:54
Ngoo, Silva, Roddan and Emilsson on for Adorjan, Ecclestone, Amoo and El Zhar.

Scrams
12-7-11, 14:54
Are you watching it?

Getting live updates from my mate. I dunno where he's watching it from :P
Sounding very entertaining thus far.

Dousty
12-7-11, 14:57

Who the **** are we playing? :D

BAlmeida
12-7-11, 14:59
Shame it's not being shown by LFCTV Online!!:mad:

Scrams
12-7-11, 15:00
Who the **** are we playing? :D

Brentford :D

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 15:00

Is your mate @theliverpoolway on Twitter?

Dousty
12-7-11, 15:01
Brentford :D

Ah top man nice one.

I predict at this rate it'll finish off 7-4 to the young Reds :D

MiroTheRed
12-7-11, 15:01
we pay a fee and yet we cant even watch the reserves play

just where is our membership money going!! :FP:

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 15:07

Shut up.

Its pre season for the reserves too.

Scrams
12-7-11, 15:11
Suso went close with a mazy run.

We concede a penalty stright after. 4-3 Brentford.

Scrams
12-7-11, 15:16
Suso subbed off for Amoo. :confused:

WindyShepherdHenderson
12-7-11, 15:18
**** Brentford.

ssscorchio
12-7-11, 15:18

Bit over the top like. I'd like to watch it too, but it's the reserves pre-season.....

kopitecrash
12-7-11, 15:20
Suso subbed off for Amoo. :confused:

No, Amoo was already on.

Dousty
12-7-11, 15:21
theliverpoolwayThe Liverpool Way
Ngoo with equaliser. Smart finish. Good play by hajdu to set it up

I assume that's 4-4. My 7-4 is still possible :D

ssscorchio
12-7-11, 15:22
Sounds like a quality game!! Come on red men!

BabelCopter
12-7-11, 15:29
Is it Brentford reserves or first team that they're playing?

I really hope it's the first team :o

Dousty
12-7-11, 15:31
Is it Brentford reserves or first team that they're playing.

I really hope it's the first team :o

I don't know :D

But it finished 4-4 apparently.

Borrell out :D

Or is it Segura, I get confused...

BabelCopter
12-7-11, 15:33
I don't know :D

But it finished 4-4 apparently.

Borrell out :D

Or is it Segura, I get confused...

Hahaha!! Cheers mate :D

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 15:35

Is your mate @theliverpoolway on Twitter?

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 15:43
Under 18s are 5-1 up v Tranmere.

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 15:44
TheKopMagazine Kop Magazine
No under-18s team list - several trialists playing who club wish to keep under wraps. they won 6-1

BabelCopter
12-7-11, 15:48
TheKopMagazine Kop Magazine
No under-18s team list - several trialists playing who club wish to keep under wraps. they won 6-1

Cheers for the update! :scarf

These trialists sound exciting - have they come up from the u16s, or are they literally undergoing trials for the club?

Shame these reserve/u18 games aren't live online though - part of the reason why I paid a subscription fee!

50P-WSTB-Head
12-7-11, 15:50
Cheers for the update! :scarf

These trialists sound exciting - have they come up from the u16s, or are they literally undergoing trials for the club?

Shame these reserve/u18 games aren't live online though - part of the reason why I paid a subscription fee!

They will be live when season starts, also mix of both I think. Some players might have been under 16 hence can't be named by the club for legal reasons.

BabelCopter
12-7-11, 15:51
They will be live when season starts, also mix of both I think. Some players might have been under 16 hence can't be named by the club for legal reasons.

Cheers pal :)

BabelCopter
12-7-11, 15:53
Liverpool Reserves made a thrilling start to life under new boss Rodolfo Borrell as they were held to a 4-4 draw with Brentford on Tuesday afternoon.

The Reds got off to a flyer and it all looked to be going to plan when Suso netted a spot-kick inside the opening 10 minutes.

However, the Bees responded and were level less than a minute later courtesy of a long range strike from Emmanuel Oyekele.

Maison Mcgeekhan then put the visitors ahead before Nabil El Zhar restored parity with a smart right foot finish.

The topsy-turvy nature of the encounter continued to provide observers with an interesting spectacle and it was no surprise that Nathan Eccleston's header was cancelled out by another blockbuster from Mcgeekhan.

Both sides tightened up defensively following the interval and when Luke Hacker gave the away side a 4-3 lead with a clinical penalty, it looked like the second-string were on the verge of an unfortunate defeat.

However, Liverpool continued to threaten and deservedly earned a share of the spoils courtesy of substitute Michael Ngoo's clever chip.

Meanwhile, Mike Marsh's new-look U18 side got off to a winning start as they romped to a 6-1 victory over Tranmere in another friendly that took place simultaneously in Kirkby.

Sam Gainford and Josh Sumner were amongst the goalscorers as well as a brace apiece for two trialists.

Liverpool Reserves: Stephens, Mendy, Hajdu, Sama, McGiveron, Adorjan (Ngoo), Amoo (Silva), Roberts, El Zhar (Roddan), Eccleston (Emilsson), Suso.

15 goals in 2 games, then. Exciting start! :D

ssscorchio
12-7-11, 16:03
Meanwhile, Mike Marsh's new-look U18 side got off to a winning start as they romped to a 6-1 victory over Tranmere in another friendly that took place simultaneously in Kirkby.

Sam Gainford and Josh Sumner were amongst the goalscorers as well as a brace apiece for two trialists.

Sign 'em up!!!:scarf

kopitecrash
12-7-11, 17:05
New Blog Post :)

Three Of Our Younger Players To Watch Out For When Liverpool Face Guangdong

So. China.

Tomorrow Liverpool FC have a mission to show what the club is all about. Or a mission to just get match fit in preparation for hopefully spanking Sunderland when the season begins. Either way, football is back, and for anyone who has been surviving simply by injecting themselves with previous season highlights, tomorrow is blessed relief as much as it is a chance to take a look at new players as they play against the first opponents of this campaign, Guangdong Sunray Cave.

What a fantastic name that is, but anyway, we have serious business to attend to here on the blog regarding some of our younger players. Certain players need to get off to a flyer.

Read more here: http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/07/three-of-our-younger-players-to-watch.html

kopitecrash
14-7-11, 11:06
The Three To Watch Against Guangdong: The Verdict

Horray, an entertaining friendly! After two years of dull, tepid, glorified training sessions (In least years friendlies we didn't score a goal, although we only had three friendlies that time) Goals, chances and talent - it's nice to have football back again.

But of course the 4-3 friendly win was not really the point was it? This blog highlighted three players to watch, all for differing reasons who could have definitely done with a performance to improve their prospects in the coming season. And with a mix of my own limited views, (unfortunately, I couldn't watch the game) and those from a helpful volunteer, we'll gauge how they did. So without further delay..

http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/07/three-to-watch-against-guangdong.html

50P-WSTB-Head
18-7-11, 21:45
I need your questions for Kristoffer Peterson, Myself and other writers from the blog will choose the best ones, they will then be sent to Kris who will answer them. the question and answer will then be posted on the blog with whoever asked the questions name.

Between 15 and 20 will be sent in total.

If anyone who's on RAWK wants to ask them too, feel free. just link me to thread so I can read questions asked.(I'm not a member)

50P-WSTB-Head
18-7-11, 22:12
Bump.

REDULATE
18-7-11, 22:13
I need your questions for Kristoffer Peterson, Myself and other writers from the blog will choose the best ones, they will then be sent to Kris who will answer them. the question and answer will then be posted on the blog with whoever asked the questions name.

If anyone who's on RAWK wants to ask them too, feel free. just link me to thread so I can read questions asked.(I'm not a member)

Just posted this on RAWK.

50P-WSTB-Head
18-7-11, 22:18
Just posted this on RAWK.

Cheers mate.

REDULATE
18-7-11, 22:19
Cheers mate.

No problem, its in the Youth thread so keep an eye on that, one person just offered a question already haha.

50P-WSTB-Head
18-7-11, 22:22
No problem, its in the Youth thread so keep an eye on that, one person just offered a question already haha.

I've got it, its the type of question I'm after.

Its the only question I've got so far actually lol, come on you .TV ****ers.

kopitecrash
18-7-11, 22:30
RE: The question for Peterson. 'What is your favorite childhood footballing memory?'

As for the blog, here's another article from a guest writer.

Jonjo Shelvey – Time to shine - A Guest Article By Alex D

In May 2011, Jonjo Shelvey told .tv: “"I want to be seen as an important first-team player. I think I can do that... If given the chances, I will. [1]" This in effect, underlines the character of Liverpool’s up and coming midfield maestro. The Essex-born playmaker has endeared himself to the Liverpool faithful with a string of confident cameo’s in a red shirt, as Shelvey continues to impress in the recent tour of Asia.

Read More Here: http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/07/jonjo-shelvey-time-to-shine-guest.html

kopitecrash
18-7-11, 23:08
Why Losing Out On The Europa League Will Hurt Our Young Prospects

People didn't really care when Liverpool missed out on the Europa League did they?

Certainly, when Liverpool slumped to a defeat in their last game of the season to Aston Villa (Thanks to a certain Stewart Downing.) Supporters were perfectly happy to move on and consider the changes that would be made to the squad in general - the results of course being Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam and Alexander Doni - but in those calculations of what Liverpool needed to challenge for the title or get back into the champions league, very few considered anything beyond short term. Nobody really considered missing out on the Europa League because very few minded missing out on the Europa League.

Read More: http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/07/why-losing-out-on-europa-league-will.html

mrlngmz
19-7-11, 01:14
I cant wait til suso grows up!

O.m.g!!

He will be faaaaaaaaaaaaantastic!!

50P-WSTB-Head
19-7-11, 11:44

Bump, still in need of a few questions.

Starblind
19-7-11, 12:04
I've got it, its the type of question I'm after.

Its the only question I've got so far actually lol, come on you .TV ****ers.

What about my question? :D

50P-WSTB-Head
19-7-11, 12:09
What about my question? :D

I might need to use that at this rate. :D

Starblind
19-7-11, 12:18
I might need to use that at this rate. :D

Its important information!

I presume you've got the usual fare - who his idols are/were, favourite goal he's seen, type of music he's into and all that stuff?

LLS
19-7-11, 12:21
Ask him exactly what kind of coaching he's given at LFC. Is it more technique based, or tactical work? Or both?

What sort of things are they encouraged to do, and what are they discouraged from doing?

Similar questions for outside of football. What does LFC do for him education wise? What sort of ideology are we impressing on these kids?

Cheers.

50P-WSTB-Head
19-7-11, 12:30
Its important information!

I presume you've got the usual fare - who his idols are/were, favourite goal he's seen, type of music he's into and all that stuff?

The plan was to post the question along with his answer and also who asked the question I didn't want it to contain all questions asked by me.

So no, none of them apart from who his idols are/were are in yet.

I'll put you down for Favourite goal he's seen :)

50P-WSTB-Head
19-7-11, 12:31
Ask him exactly what kind of coaching he's given at LFC. Is it more technique based, or tactical work? Or both?

What sort of things are they encouraged to do, and what are they discouraged from doing?

Similar questions for outside of football. What does LFC do for him education wise? What sort of ideology are we impressing on these kids?

Cheers.

Cheers mate.

More of these please people.

Batsman
19-7-11, 13:06
Player he rates most highly from U16s last year?

Can he get in touch with Ibra?

kopitecrash
19-7-11, 13:45
Hardest player he's ever played against.

50P-WSTB-Head
19-7-11, 13:51
Cheers guys.

I still need a few more, preferably from people who haven't yet asked anything.

kopitecrash
19-7-11, 14:27
'Why would you play for such an awful awful club?'

My mate's question. Arsenal Fan :P

PokerTree
19-7-11, 14:55
What does he believe to be the strongest aspect of his game?

What part of his game needs the most improvement?

Also, one of his tweets says: "hard day 2day with training and media education :)"
...would be interesting to know what media education the youngsters receive?

Cheers :)

50P-WSTB-Head
19-7-11, 15:02
What does he believe to be the strongest aspect of his game?

What part of his game needs the most improvement?

Also, one of his tweets says: "hard day 2day with training and media education :)"
...would be interesting to know what media education the youngsters receive?

Cheers :)

Thanks mate.

50P-WSTB-Head
19-7-11, 15:13
So far I'll be asking him.

What is your favorite childhood footballing memory?

Who’s had the biggest impact on your career so far?

Who are your idols?

What personal goals have you set yourself for the coming season?

What are your aspirations for the next 5 years?

What do you believe to be the strongest aspect of your game?

What part of your game needs the most improvement?

Exactly what kind of coaching are you given at LFC. Is it more technique based, or tactical work? Or both?

What does LFC do for you education wise?

What media education do the youngsters receive?

What player do you rate most highly from U16s last year?

Who's the hardest player you've played against?

What’s your favourite goal you’ve seen?

I'm needing about 2 or 3 more, I want to get these sent to him sometime this evening if possible, because I'm going away Saturday so hopefully I'll get answers back by then and I'll be able to get them posted up on TNAL

50P-WSTB-Head
19-7-11, 15:23
I've decided to include a team mates section, using some of the questions asked on soccer am, quickest player, least intelligent etc.

I'll bump this thread when Kris has answered them, thanks for your input and hopefully if all go's well, I'll be able to get other players to do the same.

kopitecrash
19-7-11, 15:48
I've decided to include a team mates section, using some of the questions asked on soccer am, quickest player, least intelligent etc.

I'll bump this thread when Kris has answered them, thanks for your input and hopefully if all go's well, I'll be able to get other players to do the same.

I wouldn't do least intelligent - that's a little mean.

50P-WSTB-Head
19-7-11, 16:32
I wouldn't do least intelligent - that's a little mean.

I decided against most of the soccer am questions in the end.

Good news, he's answered them already, just gotten the email back from him.

Teaser

Q3) Who are your idols?

Cristiano Ronaldo, everyone dont love him, maybe i dont love as a person sometimes when he acting bigtime, but as a footballer he got everything, fantastic footballer

The rest will be posted to the blog, I'll link to article here later on.

Starblind
19-7-11, 16:37
Teaser

Q3) Who are your idols?

Cristiano Ronaldo, everyone dont love him, maybe i dont love as a person sometimes when he acting bigtime, but as a footballer he got everything, fantastic footballer

Good stuff.

I hope you're going to "grammatise" it a little :IN: :D

50P-WSTB-Head
19-7-11, 16:54
Good stuff.

I hope you're going to "grammatise" it a little :IN: :D

I was thinking about that, should I or should I posted it like it was written?

LivingProof
19-7-11, 16:56
I decided against most of the soccer am questions in the end.

Good news, he's answered them already, just gotten the email back from him.

Teaser

Q3) Who are your idols?

The rest will be posted to the blog, I'll link to article here later on.

Thanks mate look forward to reading it.

I heard the under 18's won 8-0 recently is there anywhere where I can view the highlights?

50P-WSTB-Head
19-7-11, 16:58
Thanks mate look forward to reading it.

I heard the under 18's won 8-0 recently is there anywhere where I can view the highlights?

There you go mate. (http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/video/Reserves-and-Youth/11-12/Morgan-on-mark--27222.php3)

LivingProof
19-7-11, 17:00
There you go mate. (http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/video/Reserves-and-Youth/11-12/Morgan-on-mark--27222.php3)

Thanks mate. :scarf

kopitecrash
19-7-11, 17:20

Reckon we should put highlights up on the blog?

50P-WSTB-Head
19-7-11, 17:50
Reckon we should put highlights up on the blog?

Great idea mate.

The questions and answers can now been seen on the blog. (http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/07/kris-peterson-answers-fans-questions.html)

I'm unsure how to do that preview thing mate, could you possibly do that for me, saves the whole article showing up on homepage.

If someone could kindly post a link to it on RAWK too that would be excellent.

LivingProof
19-7-11, 18:11
Great idea mate.

The questions and answers can now been seen on the blog. (http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/07/kris-peterson-answers-fans-questions.html)

I'm unsure how to do that preview thing mate, could you possibly do that for me, saves the whole article showing up on homepage.

If someone could kindly post a link to it on RAWK too that would be excellent.

Thanks for that mate. Good read, also enjoyed the highlights from the 8-0 win. Delightful goal from Nacho, and the number 9 looks a good player. Good feet for a big guy.

50P-WSTB-Head
19-7-11, 18:15
Thanks for that mate. Good read, also enjoyed the highlights from the 8-0 win. Delightful goal from Nacho, and the number 9 looks a good player. Good feet for a big guy.

Yea that big lad has excellent feet from what I've seen, I expect both to be offered contracts.

tonylet
19-7-11, 19:32
I'm so glad our academy is recogonized worldwide for producing talent. This means we can have the best youngestrs and they know they will get developed under the coaching staff at Kirkby.

Can't wait to see some of the Under 16s moved to U18 this year. They are supposed to be even better :eek:

SilverLining
20-7-11, 20:59
0-0 at Half time by the way. Waterford United v Liverpool XI

Second half just underway.

http://www.extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/17470/1/

tonylet
20-7-11, 21:08
Nabil Elzhar (F) :scarf

SilverLining
20-7-11, 21:23
1-0 Waterford United

65' - Goal - Breakthrough at last! Conor Sinnot whips over a free-kick from the right after Liverpool are penalised for a handball and Seamus Long directs a beautiful header beyond a helpless Tyrell Belford

(source: extratime.ie)

BabelCopter
20-7-11, 21:27
For those that are wondering:

Team:
Tyrell Belford
Brad Smith
Stephen Sama
Emmanuel Mendy
Matthew McGiveron
Michael Roberts
Adam Hajdu
Kristijan Emilson
Krisztian Adorjan
Nabil Elzhar (c)
David Amoo

Subs:
Jamie Stephens
Tony Silva
Craig Roddan
Tom King
Jesus Fernandez Suso
Nathan Eccleston
Raheem Sterling

BabelCopter
20-7-11, 21:33
Suso and Sterling came on at half time...

46' - Substitution - Liverpool triple-substitution: Michael Roberts, David Amoo and Kristin Emilsson are replaced by Nathan Eccleston, Raheem Sterling and Suso.

... but it seems have made little impact...

77' - Sterling and Suso have been very quiet since coming on at half-time. Liverpool have struggled all game for creativity and imagination in the final third, but full credit must go to Waterford, they've battled all night long.

ShaftyBoy
20-7-11, 21:53
well done to waterford for beating our lads tonight!!!

it looked like a good physical workout for our team (mostly youth players), rather than playing somewhere on the continent where the match would probably be like a training session and there'd hardly be anybody in the ground, they came to ireland where there was a great crowd and waterford were really up for it, our young lads will certainly benefit from that experience :scarf

TheBestIsLFC
20-7-11, 22:48
I was at the game I'm from Waterford and tbh Waterford could of being 2 or 3 goals up only for LFC keeper , just remember we (Waterford) are in middle of season here so in a way that showed Tonight. Still good to see LFC in town :scarf even if it was a loss :(

BabelCopter
23-7-11, 14:54
Liverpool U18s came from behind to claim a 4-2 win in yet another freescoring friendly at Wigan on Saturday afternoon.

The hosts twice went in front during a lively first half with Jack Dunn's 30 yarder the brightest moment for the Reds.

However, Mike Marsh's side stepped up a notch following the interval and goals from Sam Gainford, David Moli and Yalany Baio ensured they maintained their winning run.

What do you mean we only scored four?! :mad:

Something is clearly amiss ;)

I didn't even know it happened, and can't find any threads about it. Did anyone see this game, or know any more about it?

tonylet
26-7-11, 18:44
I didn't even know it happened, and can't find any threads about it. Did anyone see this game, or know any more about it?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/video/Reserves-and-Youth/11-12/U18s-v-Wigan-H-27355.php3

SilverLining
27-7-11, 18:19
Reserves beat Birmingham 3-0 today.

Highlights: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/video/Reserves-and-Youth/11-12/Reserves-hit-th-27371.php3

Emilvang
27-7-11, 18:24
Reserves beat Birmingham 3-0 today.

Highlights: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/video/Reserves-and-Youth/11-12/Reserves-hit-th-27371.php3

Looks like Eccleston had one hell of a game. 2 goals, and fouled in the penalty box. And what a goal that first one was.

Eddes
27-7-11, 18:25
A good win, pity they dont show these games on here, after all we do pay for it although i realise its a friendly it would still be nice to watch.

Eccleston looking in hot form at the minute, i like this lad, hope he goes on to be a good player.

LHunter
27-7-11, 18:30
Good read
http://www.fanatix.com/news/video-liverpool-on-verge-of-triple-striker-transfer-swoop-685/

kopitecrash
27-7-11, 23:36
Why Nathan Eccleston was broken by marathon barriers.

It is a long time since now 20 year old (going on 21) striker Nathan Eccleston announced himself onto the reserve scene - and boy did he announce himself in the opening reserve game of the 09-10 season against Blackburn, August 27th. Two minutes in, Eccleston receives the ball, drives at the Blackburn defenders with tricky feet, before curling a 25 yard shot inside the far post with the keeper nowhere.

His second goal was much the same - only inside the nearer post. Eccleston runs at the defence, gets a chance to shoot and smashes, bullets the shot inside the near post. Again, the keeper was nowhere near it. Blackburn won, ultimately, but Eccleston had announced himself - he had skills, he demonstrated them, quickly.

Read more here: http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/07/why-nathan-eccleston-was-broken-by.html

BabelCopter
28-7-11, 01:29
A good win, pity they dont show these games on here, after all we do pay for it although i realise its a friendly it would still be nice to watch.

Eccleston looking in hot form at the minute, i like this lad, hope he goes on to be a good player.

Obviously I want him to succeed, but given where he is now (aged almost 21) I just can't see it happening :(

The lad is almost the same age as Carroll, but has never done anything at senior level. Maybe that's down to unluckiness, or too many options ahead of him upfront, or lack of chances to shine...

...but I think it's now either too late for him, or it was never gonna happen anyway.

Good luck to the lad though!

kopitecrash
1-8-11, 15:34
New blog post!

Read the whole article here: http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/08/among-raining-goals-dont-forget-ngoos.html

Among The Raining Goals, Don't Forget Ngoo's Dancing Feet, PLUS: Valarenga, And Who Has Dropped Out Of First Team Contention

Moli Moli Moli Moli Moli... Yup, the beginnings of a song for David Moli have already been written/ basically write themselves in the wake of the strikers run of goals for the under 18's, including two hattrick's against Preston and Shrewsbury respectively. Meanwhile, Morgan continues to make his minutes count, adding to his tally of a zillion bazillion goals last season with another four in pre-season. Meanwhile, on the fringes of the under 18's Michael Ngoo was cast into the background amid all of this. To a certain extent this can't be helped - Ngoo has ever been in and out of the under 18 side - slicing through defences one match and then replaced by Adam Morgan the next. Thus he has slipped down in the pecking order, to the point where perhaps he is one of the lowest rated of the pack of youth talent moving toward the first team.

kopitecrash
2-8-11, 11:48
http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/08/war-of-philosophy-part-2-future-rise-of.html

The War Of Philosophy Part 2: The Future Rise Of Youth Development (And Raheem Sterling)

Today Liverpool had a bit of a mare defensively again, partially caused by a incoherent midfield, and the nice consistent conceding of goals has continued, to the point that presumably someone will be taking bets not on the final score between Liverpool and upcoming opponents Valencia but on which players score Valencia's goals instead. But enough about that.

It was a certain momentum shift that caught the eye as Liverpool drew 3-3 to continue a friendly campaign of uncertainty. It was the sight of a certain Raheem Sterling moving onto the pitch in place of Stewart Downing, and what came next.

fatboygoose
2-8-11, 16:33
So who is likely to play in tonight's game against Tranmere. Insua has said on Twitter that he will be playing so expect some of the other Senior players to play aswell

tonylet
3-8-11, 13:41
Under 18s now 3-0 up v Macclesfield.
Morgan, Baio, Gainford.

Emilvang
3-8-11, 13:44
LFC Liverpool FC
Sam Gainford's 2nd from the spot in last minute seals a 4-0 win for u18s v Macclesfield. Now 6 wins from 6 in pre-season, 33 goals scored!

I wish this was our first team :P

SweetSilverSeven
3-8-11, 14:23
LFC Liverpool FC
Sam Gainford's 2nd from the spot in last minute seals a 4-0 win for u18s v Macclesfield. Now 6 wins from 6 in pre-season, 33 goals scored!

I wish this was our first team :p

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

This current crop really is gonna be something special :scarf

kopitecrash
7-8-11, 02:09
Flanagan's Dark Path, Plus: The Unexpected Evacuation Of Daniel Ayala

Nice win against Valencia yesterday. A very pleasant win which seemingly after the post- rest of preseason depression dispelled that malaise like a sponge wiping away baby chuck. Kelly was much better, Spearing had a good game even if Lucas, seemingly as ever, played the part of the bigger brother with his excellent display in the second half. Flanagan got time, in a position I personally though might just suit him what with the fierce battle for the right back spot. He took his role in midfield, forming a shield with Lucas and seeing out the game with Valencia with an ease notable by it's absence in the rest of pre-season.

But there was something to be concerned about.

http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/08/flanagans-dark-path-plus-unexpected.html

WineForMyMen
7-8-11, 02:19
Flanagan's Dark Path, Plus: The Unexpected Evacuation Of Daniel Ayala

http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/08/flanagans-dark-path-plus-unexpected.html

Will get to do a proper catch up tomorrow, but interesting thoughts on Flanagan there mate.

You think he could have a DM future? I see where you are coming from with the tackling and love of being in the thick of it, but I think he's a very natural full-back in terms of the way he reads the game and moves into space.

Obviously needs to work on that decision-making re: the rashness, but plenty of youngsters have that. Both Carra and Stevie had to learn to pace themselves and time things better for example.

What Flanagan really needs to work on to become a top FB is his use of the ball and crossing in the final third. He's acknowledged as much himself and I reckon that would have been behind the thinking of giving him time centrally.

Ad_Rock
7-8-11, 02:23
Great read, kopitecrash.

Starblind
7-8-11, 11:07
kopitecrash, I would like to include a link to this blog on mine. Are you okay with me doing that?

kopitecrash
7-8-11, 11:21
kopitecrash, I would like to include a link to this blog on mine. Are you okay with me doing that?

Sure, go nuts. What is your blog?

kopitecrash
7-8-11, 12:33
More for you all.

The Troubles Of The Under 20's World Cup.

England scraped through the group stages of the above, in case you didn't already know. Almost literally scraped through - by their finger nails. They finished behind Mexico and Argentina with three draws, having scored no goals and conceded no goals. The only reason they are still at the tournament is the best runner up rules which have allowed them to get though to face Nigeria, where they probably need to score for the first time in this tournament for seventeen years, or something equally insane, to get past them.

Of course this isn't really down to England being inept - they have had some thirty players withdraw from the squad, and Liverpool have been no exceptions to this having of course kept Jack Robinson and Andre Wisdom at home.

http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/08/troubles-of-under-20s-world-cup.html

Starblind
8-8-11, 11:04
Sure, go nuts. What is your blog?

Cheers. It's just a personal one, but football-related. I like the concept of yours though and I would like to direct people to it :)

kopitecrash
12-8-11, 02:16
Why Producing Liverpool Supporting Talent Is The Only Way To Succeed.

Currently, Arsenal are moving slowly toward the end of a bitter, bitter transfer saga, having given way on their 40 million valuation and allowing negotiations to bring the price lower for the transfer of one Cesc Fabregas to Barcelona - who, it is clear, wants to go.
Thus Wenger's project, already taking a beating, is being crippled, piece by piece. Nasri too, will probably leave - leaving Arsenal having to rebuild their squad with the premier league curtains about to raise. It's the equivalent of starting to rehearse lines as the curtain is being raised. Make no mistake, if there is a premier league team which has had a bad summer, it is Arsenal, who's squad, increasingly, looks back to square one with the rookie Wilshere and Ramsey handed the reigns in midfield.

Read more: http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/08/why-producing-liverpool-supporting.html

kopitecrash
15-8-11, 13:10
New blog post! Still looking for other writers by the way if anyone is interested.

Suso, And Why It's Important For Him To Become Effective On The Wing

In the modern game of football it could be argued that the space between midfield and defence - the trequartista position, the space for attacking midfielders to thrive - is the most keenly contested in football - the defensive midfield role afterall, is there primarily so managers have a way of stopping this player in the space, the resulting battle effectively killing off the deep lying playmaker, until Xavi returned to prominence under a revived and all destroying Barcelona side. In order to escape the attentions of the destroyer, Barcelona moved backward into a defensive triangle midfield shape - Busquets playing his unique role, Xavi playmaking from deep and Iniesta linking midfield to attack, although not to the extent of hovering in the hole trequartista style. To a manner, that role no longer exists at Barcelona - it has been merged with the role filled by one Lionel Messi, the role in which he became the best player in the world.

Meanwhile in recent months and even over the past year fans have to a certain extent raised collective eyebrows at the use of Suso on the wing in the youth cup, Pacheco on the right to a certain extent in the few games he has played for Liverpool and even Miereles, who has done decently well there if not held down his place into the new season. So what's going on?

http://thenextanfieldlegends.blogspot.com/2011/08/suso-and-why-its-important-for-him-to.html

Fowi
30-9-11, 10:43
As someone who doesn't watch all our youth games I've always been impressed with Silva and Ngoo. Yet players like Sterling, Coady and Suso get all the praise and mentions. Can someone explain that?

50P-WSTB-Head
30-9-11, 11:02
As someone who doesn't watch all our youth games I've always been impressed with Silva and Ngoo. Yet players like Sterling, Coady and Suso get all the praise and mentions. Can someone explain that?

I've always rated Ngoo, he looks like a better version of Crouch, he actually has decent pace for someone of his size too. Silva for me was always hit and miss tho the last 6ish months imo he's come on leaps and bounds the most improved by a long shot.

Suso has ability to burn however the weak areas of his game need huge improvements before he's able to make the step up, same could be said about Sterling too. Coady gets all the hype because he's local, I've seen nothing to suggest he will be the next Gerrard if anything he will be the next Jay Spearing.

Adorjan would be my player to watch, been a bit unlucky with injuries lately hopefully they are behind him now, when a friend of mine asked Mark Morris who he thought had the biggest potential and best chance of making it here he said the obvious one is Sterling but at a push he would say Adorjan.

SlackeryShamone
30-9-11, 11:27
Ngoo if played with the first team now would bang in loads of goals. The guy is a monster and his control is excellent.

People keep saying stuff like 'it's easier to do this in the reserves' et all but they forget that the players around them in their own team are not exactly the best either.

Imagine the service that he would get from the likes of Suarez and Gerrard. If only he could get dome games in the Carling Cup.

Ad_Rock
30-9-11, 11:32
Obviously I want him to succeed, but given where he is now (aged almost 21) I just can't see it happening :(

The lad is almost the same age as Carroll, but has never done anything at senior level. Maybe that's down to unluckiness, or too many options ahead of him upfront, or lack of chances to shine...

...but I think it's now either too late for him, or it was never gonna happen anyway.

Good luck to the lad though!

For me it's down to Ngog being picked ahead of him for no real reason. Ecclestone could have been much better than he is now. He has more skill, more pace and seemingly is a better finisher, as well as being able to pull out wide.

PokerTree
30-9-11, 11:46
I've always rated Ngoo, he looks like a better version of Crouch, he actually has decent pace for someone of his size too. Silva for me was always hit and miss tho the last 6ish months imo he's come on leaps and bounds the most improved by a long shot.

Suso has ability to burn however the weak areas of his game need huge improvements before he's able to make the step up, same could be said about Sterling too. Coady gets all the hype because he's local, I've seen nothing to suggest he will be the next Gerrard if anything he will be the next Jay Spearing.

Adorjan would be my player to watch, been a bit unlucky with injuries lately hopefully they are behind him now, when a friend of mine asked Mark Morris who he thought had the biggest potential and best chance of making it here he said the obvious one is Sterling but at a push he would say Adorjan.

Spot on with those comments 50phead...although I was more impressed with Coady last night, than usually am.

Also worth a mention is Ryan McLaughlin, he's looked very comfortable in all the games i've seen him in so far, and personally looks better than Flanagan at youth level (although i really like Flanagan as well)...looks like we'll be having even more RB selection dilemma's in the future! :D

WineForMyMen
30-9-11, 12:00

Agree with most of this.

I also like Ngoo. He's got skillful feet for a big man and can cover ground quickly with his long strides. Inconsistency is an issue and he needs to add some steel to his game, a bit more decisiveness. Reminds me of N'Gog in that respect. His finishing also needs to improve a lot until he can become a top level striker.

Silva is erratic and very raw. I remember thinking in his very first games that the boy had better technique than 95% of the players at the club, including first team. He could obviously do with toughening up and his decision-making can be poor, but he has added goals to his game of late and he is certainly capable of producing something from nothing.

Coady? Slightly prefer him to Spearing at the same age - he has a bit more presence, and that has been recognised by a better comparable international record at youth level - but I agree that most of the hype comes from Steve Hunter and the fact that he's local.

Suso has worryingly stuttered in the past 12 months. Of course the ability is there but he needs to get his mentality sorted so that he can produce it regularly and he needs to find his position. For me, given that our youth teams ghost the first team, that position should be the Adam one. Adorjan is a better no.10 and then there's Bijiev/Nacho/Dunn/possibly Morgan in time and perhaps Bueno. Not to mention Suarez etc. The deeper lying position suits Suso's long game and vision better.

Sterling is Sterling. He'll be fine if he continues to progress as he has been.

Adorjan is the player that slips under the radar a bit but really interests me. That kid is special. Mentally, technically, statistically. Everything adds up at present.

Spot on with those comments 50phead...although I was more impressed with Coady last night, than usually am.

Also worth a mention is Ryan McLaughlin, he's looked very comfortable in all the games i've seen him in so far, and personally looks better than Flanagan at youth level (although i really like Flanagan as well)...looks like we'll be having even more RB selection dilemma's in the future! :D

Injury problems with Kelly/GJ aside, how strong do we look at FB at this club?

Flanagan, Robinson, Smith, McLaughlin... and there was that other LB we signed too wasn't there?

Fowi
30-9-11, 12:32
A lot of it will obviously depend on which player is needed. Flanagan and Robinson got their chances because we had very few options at full backs. In contrast, the likes of Coady and Suso have to go through many top class internationals. So sometimes you will have a lesser player getting the chance in the first team ahead of perhaps the best player in the youth system.

Liverdinner
20-3-12, 18:14
Thought it was time to bump this to see how people feel now.

Personally I am unsure on our ressies. Some of them look talented, but inconsistent which makes me wonder whether they could perform against men and at a high level.

Suso and Sterling seem to get the most plaudits due to their speed and flair going forward. I have big reservations about both of them, especially around what seems to me as their predictability at times. Especially Suso and his tendency to go onto his left foot as well as going missing in some games, especially against better opposition.

The game vs Ajax I thought we matched them and more for long periods., but the lack of clear cut chances and goals concerns me, naturally.

Recently, the Irish right back has caught my eye looking solid and decent on the ball. I rate him above Flanagan based on what I have seen.
Watching the u18s recently also was promising, with Nacho and Ibe impressing which is nice, being new to the set up.

Out of the more Nextgen-age players I arent certain that any will make it, but I would have high-ish hopes for Robinson and Adorjan, and I think that Wisdom, Ngoo and then hopefully Suso and Sterling have what it takes. I am most interested in Ngoo as his incredible height yet strong dribbling ability (relative) makes him unorthodox yet potentially useful. To me, Adorjan is effective in more games than Suso right now.

The big worry is lack of goals in recent big games. I think we have goals in us but I think we can be hampered by our very poor centre midfield, consisting of combinations of Coady, Rodden and Roberts. Maybe Morgan and Ngoo have been unlucky so far.

BabelCopter
20-3-12, 18:23
Just thought I'd post this here, since people didn't respond to him before :p :D

What does everyone think of the future of today's 11 starters?

here's what I think:

Jones: probably sold or loaned next season, only playing now to get match fitness due to his extended break

McGlaughlin: (Firstly sorry about the spelling, I spell it differently every time :D) I like him, good player, good passer of the ball and good at defending but I see his future somewhere else unfortunately, mainly because of the fact we have Kelly & Flanagan considerably ahead of him and not much older

Wisdom: I like Wisdom, I really like him, not sure on what his best position would be though, Full Back, Centre Back or even Holding Midfielder, makes good runs, good on the ball, strong, good header of the ball, I predict he has a good future

Sama: Again, good player as they all are but not sure about Sama, good defender, good on the ball but I don't see a very long future for him at Liverpool

Mendy: I think Mendy will be loaned or sold next season, not naturally a left back is he? doesn't give us much going forward, good at defending but behind the likes of Robinson

Coady: Coady for me is the most likely out of the 11 to be in the Liverpool first team in the future, he's a driving force from the middle, already showed he can cope in the first team (albeit being a friendly) great passer of the ball, can score goals and can play as a defender too, got the whole package!

Roberts: I like Roberts, good passer of the ball, creates a few good chances, I think he has a chance, maybe needs to get noticed more in games though, needs to add more goals, assists and key passes to his game

Suso: Suso is a very good player, again similar to Wisdom, unsure of his best position, left footer on the right wing, on the left wing or behind the striker? needs to improve his final ball sometimes

Sterling: Just recently added a more defensive side to his already brilliant attacking game, needs to improves his crossing with both feet, but another player with a great future at the club providing he stays, could do with a loan move for a season I think

Adjordan: Didn't play as well as he can today but I still like him, good creative midfielder, needs to shoot more when he gets into good positions but looks a great potential player!

Eccleston: too inconsistent for me, plays a great game one game and then the next game goes unrecognized, not a natural striker, should play on the left wing more as that is where he looks best, maybe if Sterling could go on loan next season Eccleston could go onto the left!

Anyway, after all that, hope it was worth it, don't ignore please :D what do ya'll think? :)

Liverdinner
20-3-12, 18:24
I disagree that Sama is good on the ball as he is hoofer.

I disagree that Coady or Roberts are in the slightest good. Never mind Coady for the 1st team.

Otherwise not much wrong with it.

BabelCopter
20-3-12, 18:31
My interpretation:

Belford: potential, but goalie's are much more difficult to bring through an academy than outfield players.
Baio: very promising
McLaughlin: great prospect but, as with Suso, an over-competitive position
Sterling: I'm not as confident as others, but there is no doubt the lad's got ability
Adorjan: haven't seen enough of him, but he sounds okay! :o
Ngoo: more likely to make it than Morgan, I suspect
Ecclestone: not for me
Suso: most likely to be great, but hindered by his over-saturated position
Ibe: very good, from what I've seen
The Ajax game: as absurd as it sounds after losing 6-0, we were unlucky. Ajax are/were very clinical. We deserved to be at least level with them by 4-0!

:)

WTBunster
20-3-12, 18:32
I think Sterling and Robinson will make it here, can probably put Wisdom in that group as well.

Adorjan I think has all the atributes to be a good player but I don't think he will make it here. Unless he goes out on loan and really impresses I can't see him getting any game time. I still think he could be a good player in the Spanish league or something. Suso I think could be in the same position, although his versitality helps a lot, I think he is the closest to Robinson, Sterling and Wisdom.

I agree with you McLaughlin looks very good considering he is one of the youngest in the team. He's only 17 isn't he?

I think Sama has been pretty good for a while, but like Adorjan unfortunately I don't think he will make it here, too much in his way.

Im not sure Coady/Rodden/Roberts have what it takes here. I think the CM is the weakest point in the ressies team, hopefully the young Portuguese lad will improve our options here of making it to the first team.

Ngoo im not sure on. I think he has a lot of ability, especially in his dribbling, im not sure he will make it. I think when Bueno joins (if its true we have him, we will know soon hes 18 at the end of the month) he will probably push Ngoo out the team.

Not sure on the U18s, very young but I really like the look of Lussey tbh, then Dunn looks good as well as Ibe and a few others.

Liverdinner
20-3-12, 18:35
My interpretation:

Belford: potential, but goalie's are much more difficult to bring through an academy than outfield players.
Baio: very promising
McLaughlin: great prospect but, as with Suso, an over-competitive position
Sterling: I'm not as confident as others, but there is no doubt the lad's got ability
Adorjan: haven't seen enough of him, but he sounds okay! :o
Ngoo: more likely to make it than Morgan, I suspect
Ecclestone: not for me
Suso: most likely to be great, but hindered by his over-saturated position
Ibe: very good, from what I've seen
The Ajax game: as absurd as it sounds after losing 6-0, we were unlucky. Ajax are/were very clinical. We deserved to be at least level with them by 4-0!

:)

Agree about Ngoo over Morgan.

Morgan doesnt seem to have enough to his game to succeed at higher levels.

Though I can see him getting more chances

WTBunster
20-3-12, 18:38
Think its a bit of a myth that Morgan doesn't have much to his game tbh. When he came on on the left for England u17? he was very good on the left, then the recent highlights against Sunderland show he is more then capable with the ball at his feet.

Nevertheless I don't really think him or Ngoo will make it here.

Liverdinner
20-3-12, 18:40
Not really.

He doesnt strike me as especially skilful or creative or intelligent or even that quick.

BabelCopter
20-3-12, 18:40
I think Sterling and Robinson will make it here, can probably put Wisdom in that group as well.

Aye, I'd totally forgotten about Wisdom - I've got high hopes for him :)
Robinson, too. I personally see Flannagan as on a par with Robinson, but if Kelly remains a RB instead of a CB, Flanno won't get any chances.

Agree about Ngoo over Morgan.

Morgan doesnt seem to have enough to his game to succeed at higher levels.

Though I can see him getting more chances

Yeh, I agree. This time a year ago (after that 13-game scoring run), Morgan would have been up there with the most likely to succeed, but he since seems to have lost some of that clinicism :(

NGoo is in the same mold as Crouch, but probably (with the potential to have) better control. Maybe a sub in the Europa next season...

Theory-of-a-redman
20-3-12, 18:41
I Have only seen a little of Jack Dunn but I like what I've seen so far, to anyone who has seen a lot of him, what do you think of him?

Liverdinner
20-3-12, 18:41
I see the Crouch comparison, but Ngoo is much more agile which could make for a much better player than Crouch.

WTBunster
20-3-12, 18:42
Not really.

He doesnt strike me as especially skilful or creative or intelligent or even that quick.

He has a lot more to his game then just standing in the box waiting for tap ins though.

Liverdinner
20-3-12, 18:44
He has a lot more to his game then just standing in the box waiting for tap ins though.

He has more to it but not enough. Imo anyway.

WTBunster
20-3-12, 18:45
He has more to it but not enough. Imo anyway.

I agree he doesn't have enough also.