PDA

View Full Version : Sell Martin Skrtel !!

Sneaky9Sneaky
16-1-11, 17:05
He is the main reason the goals are going in, he is poor at everything.
Why do we play him?

Agger Cara all day!

PAZY
16-1-11, 17:08
Carra arm is hanging out of his shoulder socket at the moment!

Other then that we need 2 young ball winning CBs one of which will play along side agger when carra eventually isn't first choice

joffy35
16-1-11, 17:08
:mad::mad:agreed,,, i bet if u analyze most goals we leaked this season he has a big part to play.. hes useless..

phuzz
16-1-11, 17:09
Massive liability. Sell him before he costs us more points.

-Cal-
is wilson that bad he doesnt get a chance?

Cossey
He's so bad in the air it's ridiculous but unfortunately we have nobody else just now. Kyriagos is to slow for the Prem too.

RhysLFC1495
He is dog *****.

SurreyLiverpoolFan1983
16-1-11, 17:10
to be fair martin skrtel was never a real liverpool defender - he's average at best

playing because of the apparant lack of options

carra injured
agger can hardly stay fit
kelly being used at right back
wilson not being used

liverpool are in deep deep trouble

MiroTheRed
been saying this last season, Look it up.

No one Listened, now everyone sees.

-Bodie-
Sell him asap. The guy is shockingly bad. Sell Kyrgiakos aswell.

Heighway501
16-1-11, 17:11
Skrtel's weakness really cost use both goals.

Our CBs can have no complaint--they got good play out of Johnson and Kelly, and pretty good cover from the trio of CMs...but Skrtel is an absolute liability.

And if Agger is hurt again, I honestly think it's time for both to go. Agger is the CB version of Fabio.

Mike-91
16-1-11, 17:11
He's become so crap, put Kelly in at CB...a real defender.

Ibeeeeey-lieve
16-1-11, 17:13
Why do we play him?

Agger Cara all day!

at least spell Skrtel right..... ;)

but yeah - very very poor for some time now.

and has he played every league game this season?

T34
16-1-11, 17:13
Absolute ****! If he is ever in a Liverpool shirt again then the manager needs shooting, regardless of who he is!

Chrislfc2010
16-1-11, 17:14
every corner or set piece he doesnt even look at the ball, just tries to stop the man getting a run, he's an awfull defender, must be dropped if we want to stop conceding!

Liverdinner
16-1-11, 17:15
Tuned in just after they scored. He was awesome whilst I watched.

It'sTris
16-1-11, 17:16
Play Wilson, my word Skrtel is awful!

EhEhPepeReina
16-1-11, 17:16
Bizarre, isn't it? That free-kick they had when he was alone marking Fellaini and didn't mark him OR go for the ball, just let him go and it almost cost us. I used to be a big fan of Skrtel but has really detiorated in the last 18 months.

Mapeke
16-1-11, 17:17
We need Kelly at CB, Johnson RB and Aurelio at left back until we get a new defender. He's just a liability.

T34
16-1-11, 17:17

the game would have been 2-0 Liverpool if not for Skrtel. Did not challenge the player in the air for the first one, just grabbed his shirt a bit. The second goal it was a pass from Skrtel.

Liverdinner
16-1-11, 17:19
the game would have been 2-0 Liverpool if not for Skrtel. Did not challenge the player in the air for the first one, just grabbed his shirt a bit. The second goal it was a pass from Skrtel.

Saw the replay of Distin's goal. He didnt do great but he wasnt the only one.

Sawyenara
16-1-11, 17:20
Concerning our defense:

Skrtel - SELL
Soto - SELL
Konchesky - SELL

Wilson - PROMOTE

Mertesacker - BUY
Coentrao - BUY

JFG
16-1-11, 17:22
Hes worse then Traore. I wish I was joking. On numoures occasions this season he has played the man instead of the ball. All resulting in goals for the opposition. He can't kick the ball. He can't tackle. He has no pace no composure. No ability to calm the defense when under pressure. He can't head a ball. He clatters more of our players then the other teams, this guy is a major liability. And lets be honest there's a few of them in our team at the minute.

T34
Saw the replay of Distin's goal. He didnt do great but he wasnt the only one.

Now add to it, his lack of a challenge in the air against Blackpool. Also what about againt Newcaslte when he gave possession away. He cannot defend in air, which in fairness is essential for a CB. Also he gives the ball away in cruical areas. He is just not good enough for Liverpool, or probably any midtable team for that matter.

Aspastos

That's the problem right there. Skrtel does have his awesome moments, but they are balanced out by far too many lapses in concentration or defensive intelligence (call it what you will).

Liverdinner
16-1-11, 17:23
Now add to it, his lack of a challenge in the air against Blackpool. Also what about againt Newcaslte when he gave possession away. He cannot defend in air, which in fairness is essential for a CB. Also he gives the ball away in cruical areas. He is just not good enough for Liverpool, or probably any midtable team for that matter.

Aye that is true he isnt good in the air. I think he is good on the ground but not in the air. i wouldnt mind getting rid. Some guy just said worse than Traore though which is laughable.

Jemmyboy
16-1-11, 17:23
Unfortunately he has become a liability and therefore has to go. Priority signing this month should be his replacement.

bonizar
16-1-11, 17:24
Why do we play him?

Agger Cara all day!

agger is injury pron we cant rely on him

we need two cb carra is old

Liverdinner
16-1-11, 17:24
That's the problem right there. Skrtel does have his awesome moments, but they are balanced out by far too many lapses in concentration or defensive intelligence (call it what you will).

Yeah you are right. Shame, he could of been very good.

Alon1
16-1-11, 17:26
As soon as Kirgiakos came in, he just crashed, I think he needs a change of scenario to change his luck, Carra can't come back soon enough

Jazzy-J
16-1-11, 17:26
Today summed him up. Solid for 88 minutes, but two big mistakes that cost us. He should have been dropped 6 weeks ago.

Start Wilson next week.

SonnyBillSuarez
16-1-11, 17:30
I dont know what it is with Skrtel's defending...

He just looks like that he has poor concentration and he manages to get himself out of position by losing his marked man.

And he also looks far too slow to push up defensively

Dynasty-inthe-Making
16-1-11, 17:32
After Agger left he got completely shaky.....signs of a player lacking in confidence....

I am mad at Agger as much as I am mad at Skrtle! I know he got injured but man you just can't rely on him :(

Rightfoot
16-1-11, 17:38
Martin Skrtel just don't seem to have any position sence, especially when the ball is in the air. But I have finally given up on Agger as well, why do need him when he can only play a couple of games picking up injuries. Sell both please.

naturalskill
16-1-11, 17:41
he must be dropped...he is repeatedly a liability

bonizar
16-1-11, 17:42
cahil in for skrtel or agger !

SonnyBillSuarez
16-1-11, 17:45
cahil in for skrtel or agger !

selling those 2 wont even cover the cost for g.cahill

bonizar
16-1-11, 17:53
selling those 2 wont even cover the cost for g.cahill

we have to sign a cb
im sure agger has got injury in his back as usual

skrtel is very weak in set peices

commoli please find a solution !!!

Ragalu
16-1-11, 17:55
I just posted this in another thread:

Is Ayala still injured? I would like to see him given a shot next to Agger at the back. He is so determined to win the ball and is dominating in the air. If he is fit I would throw him in for the next match - Skrtel is responsible for us conceding about a goal a game at the moment, so we have nothing to lose giving Ayala a shot.

(I would be happy to see Wilson play as well but as he is left-footed, I'd go with Ayala to pair Agger.)

WineForMyMen
16-1-11, 17:56
I'm not going to go over a deconstruction of Skrtel, I've done it enough in the past 2 years. But for me he's been going nowhere for some time and is the most obvious saleable CB.

Our defence has needed serious looking at for some time. But changing the spine is always going to take some bold moves and thus far we've been too cowardly to make them. Now we're paying the price: 2 distinctly average CBs, one injury liability, 1 in rapid decline...and a few youngsters that should have been blooded by now, but haven't. (And that's without even commenting on our CM now).

Johnson--Kelly--Agger--Aurelio next match. If Agger can't make it then Wilson.

El Ivy
16-1-11, 18:00
Skrtel is a very bad footballer and even when times were well I always wondered why everyone raved about him.

People compared him to Vidic for some reason but the only comparison is that they are both male.

Wilson can not do much worse hey?

Stan85
16-1-11, 18:05
I'm not going to go over a deconstruction of Skrtel, I've done it enough in the past 2 years. But for me he's been going nowhere for some time and is the most obvious saleable CB.

Our defence has needed serious looking at for some time. But changing the spine is always going to take some bold moves and thus far we've been too cowardly to make them. Now we're paying the price: 2 distinctly average CBs, one injury liability, 1 in rapid decline...and a few youngsters that should have been blooded by now, but haven't.

Johnson--Kelly--Agger--Aurelio next match. If Agger can't make it then Wilson.

Fully agree. Duly repped.

Plus I'd go with your lineup for the next game. Kelly looks solid defensively and seems decent in the air, certainly better than Skrtel.

We basically need to buy a CB and LB asap, but they need to be of the quality that will make the difference.

Raphaelthe2nd
16-1-11, 18:08
Today summed him up. Solid for 88 minutes, but two big mistakes that cost us. He should have been dropped 6 weeks ago.

Start Wilson next week.

Their equaliser was quite clearly Pepe's fault, he came for that cross and got nowhere near it

sfsanj
16-1-11, 18:09
Skrtel is not good enough. Didnt think we needed another CB, but we do or move Kelly there and give Wilson some games.

His positioning is not good and he get dominated in there air.

Jazzy-J
16-1-11, 18:10
Their equaliser was quite clearly Pepe's fault, he came for that cross and got nowhere near it

Regardless, Skrtel should have done better.

WineForMyMen
16-1-11, 18:11
Fully agree. Duly repped.

Plus I'd go with your lineup for the next game. Kelly looks solid defensively and seems decent in the air, certainly better than Skrtel.

We basically need to buy a CB and LB asap, but they need to be of the quality that will make the difference.

Yep.

I've had a sneaking impression for over a year that Kelly is at least our 3rd best CB. No better time to test that theory with him on a high.

And Wilson can't do any worse than Skrtel either.

Skrtel and Soto definite sales. If Agger breaks down once more before the summer then he needs to go then too. Bring in a young, able CB who can jump and head the ball. And obviously a LB too.

WineForMyMen
16-1-11, 18:11

Perhaps Pepe is coming more than he usually would because he knows how abjectly useless we are in the air?

Tooks-YNWA
16-1-11, 18:13
Funny enough I solely logged in to start this exact thread, I can't stand him, he's small, weak and completely useless when it comes to doing what a defender should do.
His passing has been awful and decision making worse, as someone said earlier analyse most goals and he'll be at the heart of the problem.
I always wondered why he gave away rash free kicks (something extremely annoying see as we can barely defend set pieces) and it's because he cant tackle!! He can't muscles his way through and he cant win headers!

Needs to be dropped and either wilson or kelly alongside agger.

themightylfc
16-1-11, 18:16
I have never been 1 of Skrtel biggest fans i have never rated him at all, but enough is enough now the guy has to be dropped he is a ******* liability he is a cb who cant defend. Every time he takes to the field he looks like he has never seen a football before in his life, king Kenny has to drop him now and give Wilson ago surely he can't be worse than Skrtel, or put Kelly in to cb but what ever something has to be done or we are just going to keep conceding a lot of goals.

JABBS
16-1-11, 18:17
he is terrible and ive been saying this for months and still he gets picked and can only be is all we have is poor.

we have got to either play wilson or get kelly alongside agger/carra and buy an big centre half as skrtel is shocking i mean its basics like being goalside and not getting wrong side but both goals today he did just that.

Hes rash and a liability and he is the biggest reason why we are having to score 3 goals to win games as he is so **** its unreal he nearly makes konchesky and poulsen look good!

Raphaelthe2nd
16-1-11, 18:18
Let's all be honest and get to the route of the problem, since Benitez left we afford the oppositions wide players far too much time and space on the ball to put in very good measured crosses, it happens every game, we also let them have far too many opportunities to run at our defence.

We are severely missing Benitez's organisation in defence, our full backs being pushed right up onto the oppositions wide players and the drilling of the defensive midfielders of the positions to take up to support the full backs, that's the major cause of our defensive frailties this season.

People say Benitez didn't give the players enough license to express themsleves, which in some cases, in the attacking sense was true, but in our defending his well drilled, well organised defending meant that we forced the opposition to try and play the ball in from much deeper in a way that meant our defenders always had time to read it and see what was coming and they all looked much better players as a result

JABBS
16-1-11, 18:23
perhaps pepe is coming more than he usually would because he knows how abjectly useless we are in the air?

their equaliser was quite clearly pepe's fault, he came for that cross and got nowhere near it

i think you should watch again and you will see he didnt come for the cross he saw that distin was unmarked(again) so jumped forward in a star to try and block the header and didnt come for the cross.

Lets get it right and not blame our best goalkeeper for trying whatever he can to stop them scoring when that useless ****** skrtel has lost is man yet again!

Stan85
16-1-11, 18:25
Yep.

I've had a sneaking impression for over a year that Kelly is at least our 3rd best CB. No better time to test that theory with him on a high.

And Wilson can't do any worse than Skrtel either.

Skrtel and Soto definite sales. If Agger breaks down once more before the summer then he needs to go then too. Bring in a young, able CB who can jump and head the ball. And obviously a LB too.

Agreed. With the way our defence is leaking goals I can't see a reason why we shouldn't atleast try Wilson or Kelly in the middle, especially while Carra is out.

Theres so many areas of our team that need investment, it's crazy.

JDO
16-1-11, 18:33
A big liability... Kelly deserves a go at CB against Wolves... Would like to see Mertesacker or Shawcross signed before deadline.. YNWA

Sanduskyy
16-1-11, 18:40
is wilson that bad he doesnt get a chance?

That's a good question.

HenryGondorff
16-1-11, 18:47
Why do we play him?

Agger Cara all day!

whatever people say about carra, at least he knows how to defend - yes he is at the end of his career, but carra will stick his head where others wont put their feet

yet again skertl doesnt even look at the ball coming at him and instead jumps into his man trying to knock him of balance.....eh, what about heading it martin, what about jumping up to meet the ball to clear it - with your head - youre supposed to be a f.....n defender for god sake - im sick

has cost us a lot of goals this year

ScouseSoxNation
16-1-11, 19:00
Skertl is officially the new red headed stepchild!

The Kloppster
16-1-11, 19:00
I agree - get rid of Skrtel!

PhilippeCoutinho
16-1-11, 19:20
For 2 years i though Skrtel was out of this world. A metronome. This season, he has been lacking confidence. Id like see his old self back. I dont think he has lost his talents. Just lacking confidence.

I like out defence.

Agger, Wilson, kelly, skrtel, Soto, Carra, Johnson, Aurelio.

I have doubts about konchensky!

Mike90
16-1-11, 19:26
He seemed to start the season well enough even though we were still conceding goals but now he's gone backwards again.

At very least I'd see him dropped to the bench in favor of one of the young lads Kelly or Wilson for now if can't sign anyone new as although Soto has done well I'm really that convinced about him either.

Heighway501
16-1-11, 19:47

Well, if he starts next week, please promise to watch from the beginning! :)

Heighway501
16-1-11, 19:49
I dont know what it is with Skrtel's defending...

He just looks like that he has poor concentration and he manages to get himself out of position by losing his marked man.

And he also looks far too slow to push up defensively

Look how he "marks" his man: he holds his arms out and either backs into him or pushes against him. No clue as to where his man is all too often.

Sheen1979
16-1-11, 19:52
Starting to agree that he is a shocking defender. If Poulsen & Spearing are getting chances, then surely Wilson deserves one:HS:

Patrick_
16-1-11, 20:20
What's happened to Skrtel??

Two seasons ago he & Agger were deemed good enough to eventually replace Sami... since then the partnership has been disrupted by injuries, but Martin's recent form's been nothing short of shocking.

What's going on?? We can't afford to take the liability any longer and keep dropping points.

I hope rest and training will sort out his problems. I respect his commitment, but he shouldn't be even on the bench until his problems have been taken care of!

After Agger went off the centre of our defence was all over the place, but esp. Skrtel seemed to fall apart completely.

I-SEE-red-PEOPLE
16-1-11, 20:24
Worst player in the air ever. His boots must weigh about 4 stone.

Ill also add im absolutely sick of lucas just running into the back of players, hes done it for years i thought he was cutting it out of his game but its creeping back. harrass the players but dont just knock him on his arse in a dangerous area by running straight into him.

Navredman
16-1-11, 21:05

The brilliance of hindsight :rolleyes:

FIOS
16-1-11, 21:28
I honestly wouldn't give a toss if he left tomorrow.

TheBestIsLFC
16-1-11, 21:31
I agree skrtel has upset me this season he is the reason behind alot of our poor goals conceded lately , cant remember the game but since he scored for both teams this season he has gone down hill.........

ThePrideOfMerseySide
16-1-11, 21:32
Hope Ayala gets fit soon, kinda remember a RH rant about how Hull mistreated him. He looked petty solid whenever Rafa played him last season.

MagooBoo
16-1-11, 22:24
Yeah, he's been pants this season. not good enough. No leadership. It's a pity Dagger is so injury prone as in 2007 he looked like one of the best CB's in the world. We need Carra back asap, and not for his ball skills but because he makes others around him better and leads by example with the heart on the sleeve.

Skrtel has to go in the summer!!

senius
16-1-11, 22:46
The brilliance of hindsight :rolleyes:

I have been saying the same for the past seasons. He is a liability at set pieces and he is not a good footballer either, but he is also suffering from a lack of confidence, that is for sure. He needs to be rested for a while and be coached in order for him to regain his confidence.

TruthMayHurt
16-1-11, 22:52
Hes worse then Traore. I wish I was joking. On numoures occasions this season he has played the man instead of the ball. All resulting in goals for the opposition. He can't kick the ball. He can't tackle. He has no pace no composure. No ability to calm the defense when under pressure. He can't head a ball. He clatters more of our players then the other teams, this guy is a major liability. And lets be honest there's a few of them in our team at the minute.

He is not worse than Traore, He can kick the ball, He can definately tackle, He is our fastest centreback and he is a bully.

Skrtel is not a terrible defender, he lacks composure and cannot head but then again there are a few defenders inside that category who are still useful for their team.
Skrtel just loves a good old battle and always seems to prioritise that over winning the actual ball. He really is a nutter but if you were to take this bullying side of his game away, you would definately not be happy with what you are left with.
Skrtel is the type of defender who is designed to deal with the Drogbas and Heskeys of this world. He is designed to deal with those type of bullying centreforwards who up until now have given Agger and Carragher some torrid times. Skrtel was the first player I ever saw handle Drogba until he was no more a threat and he has managed this on more than one occasion. The only other defender I have seen do this to Drogba is Lucio and that is about it, I personally have not seen anyone else do this.
Skrtel has also been very solid for us in previous seasons and this one too. I had really high hopes for him after his debut season but he didnt kick on from there and show the same sort of dominance and consistency that I originally expected, if he did, he would be the closest resmblence to Vidic in the premier league. He is the only one of our defenders that also seems comortable covering for a missing fullback and has averted danger on the wing many a time.
However, currently he is not the best defender we could hope for because he lacks basic concentration skills, lacks composure, looks confused half the time, cannot head for **** and is always looking to play wrestling matches when his real focus should be winning the ball.
I wouldnt get rid of him just yet, I would give him some bench time because our managers always seem to prefer him partnering someone and maybe all of that confidence, plus the new contract he received, is getting to his head a little. He isnt as bad as made out though and at the very least would make a good 3rd choice.

TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel
16-1-11, 23:04
I need a few months advanced notice if he is being sold to think up a new username. :FP:

The raw ability to defend is there, and I think early on in the season, was consistently one of our better players.

Martin Skrtel should be eating the forwards (literally). I think he has forgot, or has been coached this season to change his playing style. Steve Clarke needs to get him back to doing the things he does well, which is frightening the life out of forwards right from the off.

Maybe he needs to stop driving the Aston Martin and go back to the ice cream van made out of human skulls. :P

The thing is at the moment, it seems every single error made, not just by Skrtel, but also by other defender's, we get punished by a goal.

I've seen other teams in the league make bigger errors and more of them in a game and not concede, it's just a luck thing at the moment, hopefully ours will turn.

I need to check out the stats, but it feels like 3 out 4 chances against us are ending up in the back of the net.

It's like today, two errors, equalled two goals, at some point the the rub of the green will hopefully turn for us and we will stop conceding, or get a lucky reprieve from our own mistakes.

Speshhh
16-1-11, 23:52
Skrtel hasn't deteriorated nor is he off form/ He is playing at his usual level but without Carra.

slimCHANCE
16-1-11, 23:57
Skrtel has no redeeming qualities as a defender, lacks pace, weak in the air, constantly caught out of position, marks a player during set pieces by staring at their feet, lacks strength, no intelligence, cant really time a tackle, gives away petty stupid fouls when opposition going nowhere, i'd rather see younger players like wilson or ayala given a crack, any mistakes they may possibly make can be put down to experience and hopefully they'll learn from them! I really think we lack a proper hard b****rd in our team, couple years back thought he may step up to that role but he done the opposite and plays like rabbit caught in headlights and gets bullied by pretty much every striker he up against! Other than taht he aint bad.....:rolleyes:

christhered
17-1-11, 00:17
What the **** was he doing for the first goal, I had no idea it was so badly defended.

MaradonaTheGreatest
17-1-11, 01:50
Why are our managers so fearful of putting Skrtel on the bench? Two managers have come and gone and Skrtel is still a 1st choice even with Kenny. I never rated him, not because of his heart because he has loads of that but mainly because of his judgement. He almost always reacts instead of being proactive and that is because he is not a good reader of the game.

TruthMayHurt
17-1-11, 02:07
Why are our managers so fearful of putting Skrtel on the bench? Two managers have come and gone and Skrtel is still a 1st choice even with Kenny. I never rated him, not because of his heart because he has loads of that but mainly because of his judgement. He almost always reacts instead of being proactive and that is because he is not a good reader of the game.

Agree with the highlited parts but is a feature that managers also like, aslong as you have the attributes to do this. Most people who read the game very well are slow defenders who would get caught out otherwise. Most defenders who are able to accellerate i.e. Skrtel are often erratic and are most likely to make the most glaring of errors, take the most ridiculous of positions or lose concentration but when at their best, they are simply any forwards worst nightnare.

MaradonaTheGreatest
17-1-11, 02:15
Agree with the highlited parts but is a feature that managers also like, aslong as you have the attributes to do this. Most people who read the game very well are slow defenders who would get caught out otherwise. Most defenders who are able to accellerate i.e. Skrtel are often erratic and are most likely to make the most glaring of errors, take the most ridiculous of positions or lose concentration but when at their best, they are simply any forwards worst nightnare.

I would like to know that my Center Half can anticipate very well and also has pace - it is necessary. I have not heard anything negative about Danny Wilson so Kenny needs to give the lad a go because we simply cannot keep playing Skrtel.

old-school
17-1-11, 02:24
Should be dropped not sold

Carra and Agger or the greek and Agger in defence

jambags
17-1-11, 02:29
he is always man watching!
watch their first today, just gets caught under it looking for distan instead of looking at the ball!!

never liked him, never will, poor on the ball, not great in the air, not great defending or attacking the ball in either penalty area, thinks he can win tackles on edge of our own box by going through a man!

i just dont like him at all!

TruthMayHurt
17-1-11, 02:31
I would like to know that my Center Half can anticipate very well and also has pace - it is necessary. I have not heard anything negative about Danny Wilson so Kenny needs to give the lad a go because we simply cannot keep playing Skrtel.

What would you rather

A. Your defender to be able to anticipate well but is powerless the few times that he does get it wrong or cannot handle the pace.

B. Your defender not being able to anticipate well but being able to react to existing situations well as they occur, no matter how many times.

You may choose A but it is by no means an easy choice so dont blame the manager.
I too think Skrtel needs benching to recover the form he shows us from time to time and if this form is not recovered, SELL!!!

jambags
17-1-11, 02:33

i do not know a forward in the league taht would name skrtel amongst their toughest opponent, in any season he has been with us ,let alone the last 2 poor ones!

hes so poor its unreal, he is a massive problem in our defence, one that needs removing asap!

jambags
17-1-11, 02:36
What would you rather

A. Your defender to be able to anticipate well but is powerless the few times that he does get it wrong or cannot handle the pace.

B. Your defender not being able to anticipate well but being able to react to existing situations well as they occur, no matter how many times.

You may choose A but it is by no means an easy choice so dont blame the manager.
I too think Skrtel needs benching to recover the form he shows us from time to time and if this form is not recovered, SELL!!!

lol, you put two options in, but if you look at them, what you are saying is that a READER of the game may get it wrong and be unable to REACT, but a REACTOR of the game will always be able to make it up? because skrtel certainly doesnt fall into that bracket either, hes not reacting well at all, look at blackpools 2 goals, look at evertons 2 goals, look at wolves goal, look at blackburns 3 goals, his REACTIONS could have prevented at least 4 of those, yet he was in and around for them all, usually it was his fault, and he got nothing!!!!!!

TruthMayHurt
17-1-11, 02:40
i do not know a forward in the league taht would name skrtel amongst their toughest opponent, in any season he has been with us ,let alone the last 2 poor ones!

hes so poor its unreal, he is a massive problem in our defence, one that needs removing asap!

I know one, Drogba, Skrtel absolutely bullied him. I remember a few when we played Everton under Roy and Skrtel was just on his own against Beckord for a while and handled him very well. I have seen Carra get skinned many a time when out of the box in a situation similar to Skrtels he was also lamented on here with them very same comments. Oh how much we want him back now eh?

MaradonaTheGreatest
17-1-11, 02:43
What would you rather

Me saying Wilson should be given an opportunity over Skrtel should not be taken as a criticism of the manager. I'll have a lot of time to do that if necessary. I'm just saying Kenny needs to give Wilson a try because it's hard to see him doing worse than Skrtel atm. Kenny has just taken charge and I'm sure he'll make changes with time but I really can't see the replacement of Skrtel as a massive decision tbh.

OldNicksAdvocate
17-1-11, 02:45
I have not heard anything negative about Danny Wilson so Kenny needs to give the lad a go because we simply cannot keep playing Skrtel.

Living in NE Scotland has enabled me to get to know some good lads who are absolute Rangers fanatics, upto the point that they even travel to Vegas to spend the W/E with Rangers veterans and other fans playing golf and talking all things Rangers. Any how, they can't believe that Wilson isn't getting his chance to play and are absolutely gutted that he's sitting in LFC's reserves when he could still be playing for Rangers on loan. I think some folk don't realise just what a golden child of Scottish football Wilson was before he decided to join us, but one person who will know everything about him is Kenny, and he will be fully aware of the Hansen comparisons that were being made North of the border, if Kenny doesn't start playing then he must have a reason.

jambags
17-1-11, 02:46
I know one, Drogba, Skrtel absolutely bullied him. I remember a few when we played Everton under Roy and Skrtel was just on his own against Beckord for a while and handled him very well. I have seen Carra get skinned many a time when out of the box in a situation similar to Skrtels he was also lamented on here with them very same comments. Oh how much we want him back now eh?

well you wont find one post from me lamenting carra, so much better than skrtel!!

drogba, really? drogba wins freekick after freekick of skrtel, in dangerous areas!
also, skrtel foulde beckford alot at goodison this season, got away with a couple too, he wasnt in control at all, and never is!
when you watch united, and vidic is in control, or rio is, or even jagielka at everton, skrtel is never in control of his man, his concentration is shocking, his marking poor, his passing atrocious, his decision making terrible!

you can judge a player by how many clubs would wnat him, i can almost guarantee if we put him up for sale, not many premier league clubs would want him, of that im pretty sure!

Liverdinner
17-1-11, 02:47
Well, if he starts next week, please promise to watch from the beginning! :)

If its on tv I sure will mate

TruthMayHurt
17-1-11, 02:50
lol, you put two options in, but if you look at them, what you are saying is that a READER of the game may get it wrong and be unable to REACT, but a REACTOR of the game will always be able to make it up? because skrtel certainly doesnt fall into that bracket either, hes not reacting well at all, look at blackpools 2 goals, look at evertons 2 goals, look at wolves goal, look at blackburns 3 goals, his REACTIONS could have prevented at least 4 of those, yet he was in and around for them all, usually it was his fault, and he got nothing!!!!!!

Obviously he wont react well if he is not on form, how else will he look off form. Not everyone goes around sulking like Torres you know. Some of the goals you have spoken about, I remember Skrtel running to the opponent while the ball is in midair, give him some credit for at least reacting quicker even though he did put his position at stake, which three men should have been able to cope with. The central midfield (gerrard and Lucas apart)doesnt help either and our defence is getting battered like never before. Carragher wasnt looking particularly good in this storm either and I remember many fans calling for him to be benched.

-Chris-
17-1-11, 02:50
How quickly Skrtel seems to have regressed is quite scary actually.

Liverdinner
17-1-11, 02:52
How quickly Skrtel seems to have regressed is quite scary actually.

I want to know what the hell happened to him. He looked awesome before.

-Chris-
17-1-11, 02:56
I want to know what the hell happened to him. He looked awesome before.

Me too. It's strange, i don't know it its confidence but if it is then its shot to pieces. The quicker Carra is back the better.

TruthMayHurt
17-1-11, 02:57
well you wont find one post from me lamenting carra, so much better than skrtel!!

drogba, really? drogba wins freekick after freekick of skrtel, in dangerous areas!
also, skrtel foulde beckford alot at goodison this season, got away with a couple too, he wasnt in control at all, and never is!
when you watch united, and vidic is in control, or rio is, or even jagielka at everton, skrtel is never in control of his man, his concentration is shocking, his marking poor, his passing atrocious, his decision making terrible!

you can judge a player by how many clubs would wnat him, i can almost guarantee if we put him up for sale, not many premier league clubs would want him, of that im pretty sure!

Okay by all accounts Agger isnt in control, I remember him get barged and outpaced by Drogba before he stuck it in the net. I also remember Hyypia getting the ball flicked past him on the byline before he set up a goal, I remember Carra getting skinned too. Skrtel stands up to players like Drogba and gets the ball and at worst gives away a freekick.

Rafa wanted him and stuck with him, so that will do for me.

Liverdinner
17-1-11, 02:59
Me too. It's strange, i don't know it its confidence but if it is then its shot to pieces. The quicker Carra is back the better.

He just seems to miss every header and its baffling. Guaranteed 1 or 2 mistakes a game.

And yeah agreed.

-Chris-
17-1-11, 03:04
He just seems to miss every header and its baffling. Guaranteed 1 or 2 mistakes a game.

And yeah agreed.

Yep, which is strange considering he what? 6 foot odd? Everytime the opposition get a corner i honestly feel like we will conceed. We really need to get this sorted.

Pete_lad2014
17-1-11, 03:06
If Skrtel continues like this, he may well be shipped out in the summer

Liverdinner
Yep, which is strange considering he what? 6 foot odd? Everytime the opposition get a corner i honestly feel like we will conceed. We really need to get this sorted.

Yeah 6 foot 3 I think. I feel the same, every cross, every high ball I think we are in danger. Coupled with when we are attacking corners I doubt we will score.

TruthMayHurt
Me saying Wilson should be given an opportunity over Skrtel should not be taken as a criticism of the manager. I'll have a lot of time to do that if necessary. I'm just saying Kenny needs to give Wilson a try because it's hard to see him doing worse than Skrtel atm. Kenny has just taken charge and I'm sure he'll make changes with time but I really can't see the replacement of Skrtel as a massive decision tbh.

Yea i would agree with that fully mate,

Skrtel does need some bench time and Wilson could prove to be even more useful than when Skrtel is on form.

-Chris-
17-1-11, 03:11
Yeah 6 foot 3 I think. I feel the same, every cross, every high ball I think we are in danger. Coupled with when we are attacking corners I doubt we will score.

Im exactly the same, i NEVER ever feel like were going to score from a corner but when the opposition have one i feel as though they may as well have a penalty.

Liverdinner
17-1-11, 03:13
Im exactly the same, i NEVER ever feel like were going to score from a corner but when the opposition have one i feel as though they may as well have a penalty.

Hopefully we will address the issue as soon as possible. Good teams cant have shaky defences like ours.

-Chris-
17-1-11, 03:15
Hopefully we will address the issue as soon as possible. Good teams cant have shaky defences like ours.

Out of curiosity mate lets say were looking for a new CB who would you sign? I was thinking about it earlier and to be honest i've got a complete mind blank. :HS:

Liverdinner
17-1-11, 03:21
Out of curiosity mate lets say were looking for a new CB who would you sign? I was thinking about it earlier and to be honest i've got a complete mind blank. :HS:

same I just couldnt call it. That guy that Valencia have apparently signed from France looked good. Rami i think.

Err a few want English defenders like Cahill or Shawcross but theyre never going to be top class and I think theyre a bit middle of the range.

-Chris-
17-1-11, 03:27
same I just couldnt call it. That guy that Valencia have apparently signed from France looked good. Rami i think.

Err a few want English defenders like Cahill or Shawcross but theyre never going to be top class and I think theyre a bit middle of the range.

I really dont get the Shawcross hype. Id rather get someone like Rodger Johnson than him.

vonStauffenberg
17-1-11, 03:47

Same here mate. Had plenty of discussions with Jazzy someone or other. I've always thought he was nothing more than average. Looks the hard man with the bald head and tattoos, terrible header of the ball and nothing in his play suggests he's anything more than transfer fodder.

RoyStapleton
17-1-11, 04:01
Skrtel seriously cost us 3 points for his shocking defending for both goals.

He needs to go NOW and we need to get in another young CB, who has similar qualities to Agger.

It was pretty obvious how poorly organised we were at the back when Agger went off. Our distribution was terrible, and there were a lot of hesitant heads.

Agger/Carra/Wilson should be our preferred CB for the remainder of the season.

ElFirnimino
17-1-11, 04:04
I think Skrtel is good defender, he reads the game well, has pace, and passes the ball well out of defence. For some inexplicable reason despite being tall and well built he is abysmal defending aerially. I haven't lost faith in him but I agree that a CB who can dominate the air is an imperative. My number one option would be Hangelaand, he would not only be solid defending the aerial threat, he would also be a force of corners and FK's something we haven't had since Sami left.

Today Skrtel and Agger came up against a lightweight in Beckford and they looked comfortable throughout the fist half. The problem to me stems from him not being aggressive enough when he heads the ball, you hardly ever see him jump up aggressively like a Vidic would. Maybe this is something that can be worked on in the training ground maybe it's not but IMO people are rushing to judge the guy too quickly, he's been off form lately but he started the season well and since Carra went down his performances have dipped. Once the team starts improving I'm sure he will too, this bad run is taking it's toll on the players......

Snippes
17-1-11, 04:12
Bizarre, isn't it? That free-kick they had when he was alone marking Fellaini and didn't mark him OR go for the ball, just let him go and it almost cost us. I used to be a big fan of Skrtel but has really detiorated in the last 18 months.

Comes a time when you have to put your hand up and admit your wrong when its slapping you across the forehead. I was a big fan of Martin - and stood up for him repeatedly even when his form dipped as I thought it was one of those form is temporary things.

But the last few/several games, it couldn't be more obvious. That free kick you referenced mate, summed it up perfectly. Fellaini isolated far right of Pepe's goal with only Skrtel marking him, and then when the ball was kicked, what followed was the most insanely bizarre demonstrations of marking and defending I have seen in a long time in all of football. Does he have vision problems and we just don't know because he completely lost both his mark AND the ball and might as well have sat down on the ground crossed legged because it would have been equally ineffective.

Then the second goal, christ what on earth was that? If you are defending the ball after you allow the guy to beat you to it, its too late and is anybody's guess where it'll end up, this time in our goal.

Later on in the half, there is another free kick and Fellaini is just standing alone again unmarked isolated while Pepe is screaming repeatedly at Skrtel to pick him up. It was astonishingly alarmingly horrific to watch.

I watched Vidic totally dominate every aerial ball that got anywhere near the United game against Crouch and against some of the better set piece takers in the league. God I wish we had someone who like that. Its time to sit or sell Martin for his own good, and look to young Wilson. As in right now! Martin just needs to get away from it all and take a break for a bit. Who knows, there might be hope for him down the road but we can't affod him right now in our team. Simple as that.

TruthMayHurt
17-1-11, 04:23
Comes a time when you have to put your hand up and admit your wrong when its slapping you across the forehead. I was a big fan of Martin - and stood up for him repeatedly even when his form dipped as I thought it was one of those form is temporary things.

But the last few/several games, it couldn't be more obvious. That free kick you referenced mate, summed it up perfectly. Fellaini isolated far right of Pepe's goal with only Skrtel marking him, and then when the ball was kicked, what followed was the most insanely bizarre demonstrations of marking and defending I have seen in a long time in all of football. Does he have vision problems and we just don't know because he completely lost both his mark AND the ball and might as well have sat down on the ground crossed legged because it would have been equally ineffective.

Then the second goal, christ what on earth was that? If you are defending the ball after you allow the guy to beat you to it, its too late and is anybody's guess where it'll end up, this time in our goal.

Later on in the half, there is another free kick and Fellaini is just standing alone again unmarked isolated while Pepe is screaming repeatedly at Skrtel to pick him up. It was astonishingly alarmingly horrific to watch.

I watched Vidic totally dominate every aerial ball that got anywhere near the United game against Crouch and against some of the better set piece takers in the league. God I wish we had someone who like that. Its time to sit or sell Martin for his own good, and look to young Wilson. As in right now! Martin just needs to get away from it all and take a break for a bit. Who knows, there might be hope for him down the road but we can't affod him right now in our team. Simple as that.

I agree with some of what you say however I have just highlighted a bit in your post and need to ask

Would you prefer that Skrtel actually didnt put any pressure on the attacker and just held his position, even though he has the attributes to deal with it?

SilverLining
17-1-11, 04:26
I'm not giving up on him yet, he has all the attributes to be a top class defender. On form Skrtel can look unbeatable, he has an all round defensive game that no other CB in our squad comes close too. However having said that his performances recently have been on the decline. You can look at the fact that really our defence has been bad for about a year now, and Agger, Carra and Soto have all made just as many mistakes as Skrtel this year so too single him out is unfair. This doesn't excuse the fact though that Skrtel defintely needs to improve, espiecally in tracking his man and winning aerial battles.

The problem for me is not pointing at individuals in our defence, In my mind a CB is not a priority, I would rather look for wingers first. All 4 of our CB's in form are a rival for most in the prem, and we have quality youngsters behind, and therefore I don't see investment in this area as a major issue. We need to focus on getting the best out of the CB's we have here already, a run of clean sheets and the confidence and defensive stability will come flooding back, and that will get Skrtel and the other CB's, back to their best.

Snippes
17-1-11, 04:36
I agree with some of what you say however I have just highlighted a bit in your post and need to ask

Would you prefer that Skrtel actually didnt put any pressure on the attacker and just held his position, even though he has the attributes to deal with it?

Confused. Are you talking about the free kick or the first or the second goal? I was talking about the free kick where he just lost the trail of the ball AND he lost Fellaini and allowed the ball to be headed back into danger that almost cost us. Most times I see a defender lose out because he got stuck on the marker trying to challenge his body but then gets beat to the ball. Skrtel was nowhere near either ball or defender and was left marooned in no man's land.

How does that happen at this level?

I want him to do what the other top defenders are doing. Breathing down the neck of the attacker, and creating a magnetic pull on the ball to their heads and getting there first time. Soto came on and marked Fellaini much better.

If you see tape on Sktel the last few games, he is always getting pinned down below the header of the ball and has zero chance of touching the ball first. Its like he give up on it and doesn't believe in himself that he will get to the ball first so he just prays that the second ball isn't too bad for us.

Torres is damn good in the air but how often do you see him get a clean header off recently? Exactly. I want our CBs to do the same. I never felt this way when Sami was here, thats for sure.

cravenz
17-1-11, 04:48
Personally, I wouldn't sell him just yet unless we start giving Kelly or Wilson games as CB to see how they go. I feel for Wilson because he actually had 1st team games in Scotland but is stuck with the reserves at the moment. I would rather us have bought him and let him continue with Rangers if I'm honest.

It's just painful that the mistakes made by Skrtel has cost us the goals and the opponents have taken full advantage of that. But as fans, we also seem to be getting very reactionary and pulled into quick opinions. They always say that class is permanent though I've never really been of the opinion that Skrtel was class, but I did think that Agger and him would be our better CB pair in the future. I'm thinking twice now.

TruthMayHurt
17-1-11, 04:54
Confused. Are you talking about the free kick or the first or the second goal? I was talking about the free kick where he just lost the trail of the ball AND he lost Fellaini and allowed the ball to be headed back into danger that almost cost us. Most times I see a defender lose out because he got stuck on the marker trying to challenge his body but then gets beat to the ball. Skrtel was nowhere near either ball or defender and was left marooned in no man's land.

How does that happen at this level?

I want him to do what the other top defenders are doing. Breathing down the neck of the attacker, and creating a magnetic pull on the ball to their heads and getting there first time. Soto came on and marked Fellaini much better.

If you see tape on Sktel the last few games, he is always getting pinned down below the header of the ball and has zero chance of touching the ball first. Its like he give up on it and doesn't believe in himself that he will get to the ball first so he just prays that the second ball isn't too bad for us.

Torres is damn good in the air but how often do you see him get a clean header off recently? Exactly. I want our CBs to do the same. I never felt this way when Sami was here, thats for sure.

I was actually talking about Blackpool. Imagine people are criticising him for attempting to put pressure on the person who gave the knock down. The ball was in midair, Skrtel ran over to put the pressure on, he doesnt win the header, the knockdown occurs, blackpool score.
What happened to the other three deenders who where standing there ball watching?
No criticism went to anybody else apart from the bloke who tried to rescue the situation.

A confident Skrtel whos on form would maybe have stopped the knockdown, but because hes off form, his ability to react fast to a situation, gets him in trouble.

Once again I agree that is what we want but the perfect combination (Aerially dominant, pace, power, strength, anticipation etc etc) is very hard to find. So it is best to mix and match. Just imagine if all our defenders were like Carra. Any set of strikers with pace, agility and skill would run the centre riot if left one on one halfway up the pitch while we were attacking.

McFly22
17-1-11, 09:25
He seems to get so lost and out becomes out of position very easily. I remember a corner being whipped in at the Kop end and he just stood there and watched HIS man Heitinga get a clear run 5meter run at the ball. His ability has declined at a rapid rate and we desperately need someone to replace him with a big, strong ball winning centre-half: ideally someone who is a threat from set-pieces!! :IN:

TheKarlHeinzeRiddler
17-1-11, 09:32
I think Sell him is a little rash and wild; he's not worth a helluva lot at the moment.

I think maybe he needs some time out with either Ayala or Wilson coming in to allow him to get some confidence back; you can see how frail he is at the moment, I don't think Soto's the answer.

I think Centre Backs need confidence to boss Centre Forward's and it's clear he's not got any at all.

McFly22
17-1-11, 09:39
Agreed. Needs replacing in the starting XI, but should definately kept around. Not too old - best years ahead of him and when in form can do a good job for us. Sadly he is nowhere near best form at this moment in time!

Chickenliver
17-1-11, 09:52
An 18 months ago he was best thing since sliced bread being talked about him and agger being our future and how wonderfully hard he was, how times have changed :D

Kenny will know what to do.

woody
17-1-11, 10:57
Do you think it's a Slovakian translation of the FA coaching guide, Defending Section? I wonder if he's reading it during the match......

Kitty-Got-Wet
17-1-11, 10:59
Don't think he even knows what they mean.

El Ivy
17-1-11, 11:00
Hopefully they are "Prison Break" style plans of Anfield so that he can escape.

ForkHandles
17-1-11, 11:00
it's an escape map in case he gets locked in Old Trafford

johnamiri
17-1-11, 11:19
He should have a tatoo of a poodle on his chest

Luca05-10-09
17-1-11, 11:20
The sooner this lad leaves Anfield the better. Liability

Carlton Facepalmer
17-1-11, 11:46
Do you think it's a Slovakian translation of the FA coaching guide, Defending Section? I wonder if he's reading it during the match......

The defending section is on his elbow!!

ItsAPenPOff
14-4-12, 22:47
My My how things have changed in 15 months eh?! He is a rock at the back and as passionate about this club as anyone just watch whenever we score he is always one of the first ones to celebrate with the scorer!

angelYNWA
14-4-12, 22:50
epic thread.

RedInferno74
14-4-12, 22:51
Lol

Parrant
14-4-12, 22:54
:scarf

:D

There is hope for Andy Carroll yet

Liverpoolforme
14-4-12, 22:56
This thread just goes to show, we as fans don't always know everything and maybe, JUST maybe the manager's who persist to play some players are doing it for a very good reason. ;)

-CADS-
14-4-12, 22:57
Some of these posts are shocking.

Sell him asap. The guy is shockingly bad. Sell Kyrgiakos aswell.

Shut up.

Kyrgiakos is immense.

slimman
14-4-12, 22:57
This thread just goes to show, we as fans don't always know everything and maybe, JUST maybe the manager's who persist to play some players are doing it for a very good reason. ;)

ssshhhhh, we don't want to get this thread starter with any more mind games.

angelYNWA
14-4-12, 22:58
Im enjoying looking through this thread and seeing all the posters that are still around who agreed with the OP.

Epic lulz

-Bodie-
14-4-12, 23:00
Some of these posts are shocking.

Shut up.

Kyrgiakos is immense.

:D G'awwwwdayum.

Meh, he was a liability. Now he is a beast.

RobertoCarlosAustin
14-4-12, 23:00
Just WOW :eek:

liverpoolfckopite
14-4-12, 23:05
My My how things have changed in 15 months eh?! He is a rock at the back and as passionate about this club as anyone just watch whenever we score he is always one of the first ones to celebrate with the scorer!

Haha, where the heck did you find this mate?

I was saying the same to my mates last season. I was wrong, apologies, Martin. Kenny and Rafa obviously knew these performances were in him.

robbo9
14-4-12, 23:10
I started reading this thread and didn't look at the date, i couldn't believe what i was reading, had a little chuckle when I saw the date.

Didnt we all say the same about Lucas not long ago? I agree with Liverpoolforme think the coach and manager see things we don't, Rafa and his men saw something in Lucas that none of us did!

SomeKloppo
14-4-12, 23:10
He was always good. The only time he was this good was before he got injured at Man City. He was having a bad season under Hodgson. That's the ONLY time he was anywhere near poor.

WindyShepherdHenderson
14-4-12, 23:13
Concerning our defense:

Skrtel - SELL
Mertesacker - BUY

Wow.

-Bodie-
14-4-12, 23:13
Threads like these are great to give us all a little reminder of who we really are. Imagine if coaches and players read through internet forums they must laugh there arses off at a bunch of nobodys talking like they know it all. There's a reason why we are sat on our arses paying a fiver a month to talk to random fellow saddo's on the internet when they are being paid thousands of pounds to do what they do.

Redhead
14-4-12, 23:18
You could resurrect nearly a hundred threads on Lucas on how unfit he was to wear the red shirt. Goes to show what we know hey :)

PS: Skrtel is our number one centre half, it is now a case of who plays alongside him.

Captain Mauser
14-4-12, 23:19
Well I didn't post in this thread but if I had it would have advocated Skrtel leaving back then... this isn't a Lucas situation, Skrtel was genuinely a liability for a good while after Downing roasted his arse for Middlesbrough... His headers could go literally anywhere and he only made a challenge is he was 100% assured of giving away a free-kick on the edge of our box.

Thankfully he has got his confidence back and learnt how to head the ball.

Agger is still the best footballer in our defence.

-CADS-
14-4-12, 23:22
Well I didn't post in this thread but if I had it would have advocated Skrtel leaving back then... this isn't a Lucas situation, Skrtel was genuinely a liability for a good while after Downing roasted his arse for Middlesbrough... His headers could go literally anywhere and he only made a challenge is he was 100% assured of giving away a free-kick on the edge of our box.

Thankfully he has got his confidence back and learnt how to head the ball.

Agger is still the best footballer in our defence.

Lucas was genuinely a liability for a while as well.

Lucasherano
14-4-12, 23:22
Maybe Henderson, Carroll and others deserve our SUPPORT and a bit more patience...

Yowa
14-4-12, 23:23
This thread is a joy to read :D

Redhead
14-4-12, 23:24

:)

Captain Mauser
14-4-12, 23:24

I disagree.

seanyirl
14-4-12, 23:25

just goes to show everyone needs time , look at lucas and hopefully big andy too

angelYNWA
14-4-12, 23:26
Maybe Henderson, Carroll and others deserve our SUPPORT and a bit more patience...

:clap:

-Bodie-
14-4-12, 23:26

With Lucas you could always see some potential there. With Skrtel, he just could not header a ball. And for a CB to not know how to header a ball, it was a bit difficult to see how he was ever gonna make it as a top class CB without knowing how to header a ball.

-CADS-
14-4-12, 23:27
I disagree.

You can disagree all you like but he was.

TheNewWorld
14-4-12, 23:32
I disagree.

I don't - Lucas always tried hard, but gave away a huge number of dangerous free kicks and his passing was poor too.

I never bitched about him like some on here, but I did doubt his ability. His hard work was his only redeeming feature. Skirtel however, I've never understood why he got such harsh treatment! He was decent to begin with, then he was very inconsistent but I always thought that he was a player for the future - much like I consider a few of the current bad flavours of the month..

ItsAPenPOff
14-4-12, 23:33
Haha, where the heck did you find this mate?

I was saying the same to my mates last season. I was wrong, apologies, Martin. Kenny and Rafa obviously knew these performances were in him.

I wanted to post about how far hed come so instead of starting another thread i figured id search for one and stumbled across this! Im certain going to have to find an old one about Lucas as well cause i remember how bad we gave it to him on these boards as well!

Captain Mauser
14-4-12, 23:34
You can disagree all you like but he was.

Ok

14-4-12, 23:34
Some of these *** just should.. nevermind :FP:

Redhead
14-4-12, 23:35
With Lucas you could always see some potential there. With Skrtel, he just could not header a ball. And for a CB to not know how to header a ball, it was a bit difficult to see how he was ever gonna make it as a top class CB without knowing how to header a ball.

If you thought Sktrel was poor at heading a ball, did you ever see Per Kroldup? The guy Everton signed? Wow, he actively avoided heading the ball!

MagicPhil
14-4-12, 23:36
He seemed to start the season well enough even though we were still conceding goals but now he's gone backwards again.

At very least I'd see him dropped to the bench in favor of one of the young lads Kelly or Wilson for now if can't sign anyone new as although Soto has done well I'm really that convinced about him either.
Dear lord, the amount of errors left unattended to in this post is just awful. :FP:

And yes before anybody asks, yes that is indeed me lol.

ItsAPenPOff
14-4-12, 23:40
just goes to show everyone needs time , look at lucas and hopefully big andy too

Ive wrote off a few of our signings down the years which i realise was wrong as liverpool supporter something that i think ill leave for the chavs in the future! With that said bring back konchesky! 😱😉

Redhead
14-4-12, 23:41
Dear lord, the amount of errors left unattended to in this post is just awful. :FP:

And yes before anybody asks, yes that is indeed me lol.

I admire your contrition and love your username! :)

RedInferno74
14-4-12, 23:42
Ive wrote off a few of our signings down the years which i realise was wrong as liverpool supporter something that i think ill leave for the chavs in the future! With that said bring back konchesky! ����

Ok, that's taking it a bit far. :D

-Lucas--Leiva-
14-4-12, 23:45
Although I didnt post in this thread, its times like these I feel ashamed of my slagging off of our current players, or player.

Ive been a critic of Andy Carroll, and a harsh one at that. I've demanded him to be sold, and knee jerked after hes had a bad game. However, there is nothing I would like more, than, in a years time, when AC is about to lead us to the CL, for someone to bump a thread like this, and to have people laughing at me.

This shows just how a player can change, Skrtel has been world class for us this season, so why cant Carroll be next season? We need to give him time, get behind him and show him why we are the best fans in the world.

MFJTS
14-4-12, 23:47
Why do we play him?

Agger Cara all day!

Don't be soft!

Skrtel's been one of our best players all season. He's made a couple of costly mistakes, but what about the times he hasn't, which is 90% of his game? Him and Agger are usually solid at the back and he can score goals for us aswell.

I certainly would not sell him.

Shanks-the-Cat
14-4-12, 23:48
Although I didnt post in this thread, its times like these I feel ashamed of my slagging off of our current players, or player.

Ive been a critic of Andy Carroll, and a harsh one at that. I've demanded him to be sold, and knee jerked after hes had a bad game. However, there is nothing I would like more, than, in a years time, when AC is about to lead us to the CL, for someone to bump a thread like this, and to have people laughing at me.

This shows just how a player can change, Skrtel has been world class for us this season, so why cant Carroll be next season? We need to give him time, get behind him and show him why we are the best fans in the world.

Good on you - well said.

MFJTS
Don't be soft!

Skrtel's been one of our best players all season. He's made a couple of costly mistakes, but what about the times he hasn't, which is 90% of his game? Him and Agger are usually solid at the back and he can score goals for us aswell.

People need to stop confusing me by bumping really old posts. I thought this was made after today.

angelYNWA
Don't be soft!

umm...GUYS! we got one!

:fishing

Sunraged
14-4-12, 23:55

Nobody seemed to mention how many free kicks Masch gave away in dangerous positions.

He was worse than Lucas.

Batteries
14-4-12, 23:58
How times have changed, the guys a beast!

Redhead
14-4-12, 23:58
Nobody seemed to mention how many free kicks Masch gave away in dangerous positions.

He was worse than Lucas.

Or Xabi 2006-2008?

Captain Mauser
15-4-12, 00:00
Or Xabi 2006-2008?

Absolutely.

Paddy Berger was the worst for it... that **** could give away a free-kick in Tesco's.

gernblanston
15-4-12, 00:01
I am so proud to wear my 37... Love when he gets a chance on goal...I get more excited when he scores than for any other player.

But what has changed for him in a year? Clarke? Confidence? A healthy Agger*?

*sort of

-CADS-
15-4-12, 00:03
Ok

You remember the occasion when Lucas conceded a stupid free kick then managed to score an own goal from said free kick?

gernblanston
15-4-12, 00:10
Love this thread by the way. Epic.

Plekhanov
15-4-12, 00:12
If Skrtel had defended Saddam Hussein in court then he'd still be alive. 'Nuff said.

arwales (R.I.P)
15-4-12, 00:14
Oh God, this thread just reminded me of when we used to play Skrtel and Kyrgiakos.

-CADS-
15-4-12, 00:18
Oh God, this thread just reminded me of when we used to play Skrtel and Kyrgiakos.

Did we ever play Skrtel, Kyrgiakos and Koncheskey in the same defence? The mere thought of it sends shivers down my spine.

MagicPhil
15-4-12, 00:20
Did we ever play Skrtel, Kyrgiakos and Koncheskey in the same defence? The mere thought of it sends shivers down my spine.
Yes, W-oy did it numerous times including his final game against Blackburn.

LivingProof
He should have a tatoo of a poodle on his chest

Haha this cracked me up :D

old-school
Should be dropped not sold

Carra and Agger or the greek and Agger in defence

;)

How sensible is Old-School?

Post number 80

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/threads/226226-Sell-Martin-Skrtel-!!/page3

Embarrassing posts that day !

-CADS-
15-4-12, 00:21
Yes, W-oy did it numerous times including his final game against Blackburn.

:eek:

MagicPhil
15-4-12, 00:29
:eek:
Yup, he was trying to sell Agger too which had it happened probably would have meant that the King's first choice central defensive pairing when fit and available for the vast majority of this season could well have been Carra and Skrtel.

Imagine that eh.

ItsAPenPOff
15-4-12, 00:58
Ok, that's taking it a bit far. :D lol maybe a wee bit

TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel
15-4-12, 01:18
Martins getting new number next season. 37 is changing to 99.

(It's a score on how many people he has eaten, and you are all breakfast) :p

It's simple really. We have some top drawer players (cheers Rafa). Just takes time for them to get the belief in themselves.

SCCoopz
15-4-12, 01:24
Why do we play him?

Agger Cara all day!

What is wrong with you? (and the majority of this forum) Skrtel has been consistently our best player this season and without him we would be a lot further down the league than we already are. The man has improved 10 fold this season, and I believe he has been one of the best Centre Backs in the PL this year. To finish this rant off, get behind the players. YNWA.

TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel
15-4-12, 01:26
What is wrong with you? (and the majority of this forum) Skrtel has been consistently our best player this season and without him we would be a lot further down the league than we already are. The man has improved 10 fold this season, and I believe he has been one of the best Centre Backs in the PL this year. To finish this rant off, get behind the players. YNWA.

Check the time stamp on the original post. Some wum from over a year ago.

RhodyScouser
15-4-12, 01:26

this thread is from over a year ago so that may clear up some of your confusion

ItsAPenPOff
15-4-12, 01:29

Hahahaha Fish on! I knew someone would bite

SCCoopz
15-4-12, 01:30
Hahahaha Fish on! I knew someone would bite

Can I just say... Oops.

:FP:

TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel
15-4-12, 01:31
Can I just say... Oops.

:FP:

Should it not be ....Oopz

:rolleyes:

SCCoopz
15-4-12, 01:33
Should it not be ....Oopz

:rolleyes:

Clever that man. sccOOPZ it is...

I will change my name in the morning.

angelYNWA
15-4-12, 01:33

:tumbleweed

imnofreak
15-4-12, 01:48
The funniest thing about this thread is it's really not that long ago at all! How times change.

Kloppette
15-4-12, 03:26
There were people saying it in the summer !!!. He had a very good run in towards the second half of the season last year so I didn't get that plus he plays better with Agger as it means Skrtel can concentrate on what he is good at. Skrtel has also improved on the ball as well and rarely gives it away cheaply.

In fact there were people calling him rubbish when he played right back out of position.

GiorgosCarraGoonies
15-4-12, 03:36
It's funny because most of the people in this thread who rubbished Skrtel, also rubbished Lucas, and are now rubbishing Carroll and Henderson.

We'll see how that goes, eh? ;)

RoflKloppter
15-4-12, 03:50
It's funny because most of the people in this thread who rubbished Skrtel, also rubbished Lucas, and are now rubbishing Carroll and Henderson.

We'll see how that goes, eh? ;)

bang on.

why did people want to sell him in the summer? he had a good year last year, and an incredible year this year keeping our shaky team in games

Liverdinner
15-4-12, 05:00
I think I did okay.

RoflKloppter
15-4-12, 06:42
I think I did okay.

You rekon that's why people remind you of Lucas mmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

redronan
15-4-12, 07:15
CharlieAdam must be kicking himself that he didnt start this thread.

paisley3
15-4-12, 07:15
You cannot be serious.Complete ******** you're talking there man(c).

sjcrosby
15-4-12, 08:05
Why do we play him?

Agger Cara all day!

I hope you are joking. If not, please seek some psychiatric help. Martin has had a very good season. Selling him would be madness

FIOS
15-4-12, 08:06
:)

I said the same thing about 95% of our squad during the period of time from Rafas final season to Kenny taking over.

JoeRedLabo
15-4-12, 08:46
He is a monster, was brilliant again yesterday.

klopp in
15-4-12, 08:54
Agger had a poor game on sat - not only could he have prevented their goal - but his passing was shocking.

Captain Mauser
15-4-12, 09:06
Agger had a poor game on sat - not only could he have prevented their goal - but his passing was shocking.

You do realise that the reason he stood out as poor was because it's so rare for his passing to be off?