PDA

View Full Version : Solving this left back issue for the next 5 years

Pages : [1] 2

Fowi
19-3-11, 12:38
As we all know the last time we had a 100% reliable left back was... I don't even know. Must have been before my time. The best of the mediocre bunch has to be Riise. Undoubtedly this is the issue we'll at least try to fix in the summer. So the answer is who?

Here are my offerings. Some are more realistic than others and obviously not all players are of required quality, but lets see what we can come up with.

Fabio Coentrao (22) - Benfica

Obviously, we all want this guy and we're not the only ones. Several clubs looked at him last summer and considered him to be too expensive. But he's clearly a player for now and for the future so if he is interested and we have the money I don't see why we wouldn't go for him.

Leighton Baines (26) - Everton

Perhaps not as unrealistic as we all think. Everton are not really going places and while he has played for our biggest rivals he's not really an Everton boy as such. He would undoubtedly do well for us.

Marcel Schmelzer (22) - Dortmund

Best left back in German football, league winner and German international. Also probably the most complete left back on this list. He can defend and attack. The downside is that he's just extended his contract until 2014 so unless we pay a sack load of money for him or Dortmund unravels in a mysterious way, it could be difficult. It's a damn shame we weren't alert last season when he first burst through for them.

Nacho Monreal (26) - Osasuna

The player we've been linked with for a couple of years now. From my limited exposure to this fella I've gathered that he's a solid enough player without being particularly excellent at anything.

Michal Kadlec (26) - Leverkusen

Latest player we've been linked with and apparently he wants to come. A couple of years ago I was a big fan of this guy, but he just hasn't kicked on. If anything he's gone backwards. But he's still "only" 26 so perhaps...

Oscar Wendt (25) - FC Copenhagen

Same as Kadlec. Showed immense promise, but lately he's been a let down. Excellent on the ball, but looks sluggish at the back and I fear for him in the Premier League. Still, he's out of contract in the summer so even if we sign another left back this fella could provide excellent cover. Can also play on the wing if needed.

Pablo Armero (24) - Udinese

Built like a 1994 washing machine. He would take no prisoners, but is much better going forward than he is at defending, probably because he finds the former a lot more fun than the latter. I suspect he'd cost a whole lot too, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Taye Taiwo (25) - Marseille

Age is iffy to say the least, but the talent really isn't. Not the best left back you'll see, but I doubt he'd let too many people down. Like Wendt, he's out of contract in the summer and I'm sure we're looking into it.

Ivan Obradovic (22) - Zaragoza

For some reason Serbian defenders rarely disappoint. This guy is no different. Just a solid defender who would rather defend than imitate Roberto Carlos, but he definitely can play a bit.

Vurnon Anita (21) - Ajax

Small and right footed left back, but he does have something about him. Like most Ajax players technique is flawless. Defending isn't. His age and potential could make him an interesting man for Amsterdam loving Comolli.

Luciano Monzon (23) - Boca Juniors

Quite excellent. Can attack, can defend. The problem is he failed two medicals due to heart conditions which was later dismissed, but he's still at Boca which could indicate all is not well with this fella. With our luck he'd suffer a heart attack on his debut in front of the Kop.

Christian Ansaldi (24) - Rubin Kazan

Another right footed left back, but this one off the top shelf. One of the best full backs at going on long runs with the ball and fully capable of beating more than one marker in front of him. I suspect the asking price for him would be very high, but then again it's no different for Coentrao.

Bastian Oczipka (22) - St Pauli (on loan from Leverkusen)

An impressive attacking left back in the proper German mould, i.e. freakishly blond and energetic. I reckon the reason Leverkusen are letting Kadlec leave is because they have this guy coming back. I'm sure Como knows all about him.

Domenico Criscito (24) - Genoa

Dare we try another Italian left back? To be fair to him there is not a lot of hype surrounding this guy. He's just solid at the back and decent going forward. Bayern tried to sign him in January but decided to hold off because of the price.

Reto Ziegler (25) - Sampdoria

A man well known to the Premier League, but nobody is quite able to figure out where he's at now. Seems decent at times and then disappears like a ghost. The age is still on his side and his experience of English football is a bonus as well.

Now, lets see who we get.

Names added by other posters:

Jose Enrique (25) - Newcastle
Aly Cissokho (23) - Lyon
Jeremy Mathieu (27) - Valencia
Jorge Fucile (26) - Porto

The Parish
19-3-11, 12:40

Insua back from Galatasary.

stano123
19-3-11, 12:42
Ill have to be honest, Ive only heard of Leighton Baines.

RogerHuntelaar
If we sign Anita, I'm gonna cry!

We do need a LB for sure.

Fowi

I will add Ashley Cole and Paolo Maldini for your benefit. :p

stano123
19-3-11, 12:44
I will add Ashley Cole and Paolo Maldini for your benefit. :p

cheers mate :D

GeorgeLFC
19-3-11, 12:44
I'm not really sure about Taiwo, Rafael took him for cleaners the other day and he's a RB. He was not great going forward and no great crossing ability which we do require since we have a target man now. But then again it was just one game that I saw him play. I would prefer Baines.

bestituta
19-3-11, 12:45
Has to be Baines for me as you know what you are getting.

Jose Enrique also an option but i can't honestly say I've seen him play all that much.

Fowi
19-3-11, 12:45
Has to be Baines for me as you know what you are getting.

Jose Enrique also an option but i can't honestly say I've seen him play all that much.

Yea, I forgot about Enrique. Certainly an option.

naturalskill
19-3-11, 12:46
How much do you reckon it would cost to get Baines from Everton?

Fowi

If Moyes leaves and they melt... who knows, maybe 10mil would do it if he wants to leave.

GeorgeLFC
Jose Enrique, Mathieu?

RogerHuntelaar
19-3-11, 12:47
If Moyes leaves and they melt... who knows, maybe 10mil would do it if he wants to leave.

That would be great business.

Liverpoolforme
19-3-11, 12:49
I say we splash out for Fabio Coentrao, he's going to be great so lets not let him sign for someone like united and be wondering what if for a few more years.

RogerHuntelaar
19-3-11, 12:50
I say we splash out for Fabio Coentrao, he's going to be great so lets not let him sign for someone like united and be wondering what if for a few more years.

If we're gonna splash the cash, I'd rather get Bianes. Isn't he a Liverpudlian? He knows England and LFC and I'm always a bit sceptical with wingers that are turned into wingbacks (which is the case with Coentrao, I believe.)

Captain Mauser
19-3-11, 12:51
Bleeding hell Fowi... comprehensive to say the least.

I'd steer clear of the following on your list:

1. Right-Footed Left backs
2. Anyone relatively slow
3. Anyone who is a distinctly better attacker than a defender.

Schmelzer, Obradovic and Criscito would certainly make me positive.

No Jose Enrique?

EDIT: Serves me right for making cuppas between posts :D

naturalskill
19-3-11, 12:56

and if he(Moyes) doesnt and they dont, how much?

Fowi
19-3-11, 12:58
and if he doesnt and they dont, how much?

Well, it's not a normal situation so the price automatically goes up because they don't want to sell him to us. Plus all the off the pitch baggage. TBH I'd stay clear of it.

HuytonHuyton
Alex Sandro from Santos.

Captain Mauser
Forget Baines... It'll never happen.

KoppityKloppity
19-3-11, 13:01
Out of the La Liga players

Nacho Monreal is a solid LB seen him a few times, one of the better defensively left backs than going forward.

Ivan Obradovic i dont think would improve our left back problem.

I would add to the list

Roberto Canella of Sporting Gijon 23 years old, solid defensively and good at getting forward, was linked with Real Madrid last season and was very close to joining.

LLS
19-3-11, 13:02
Good thread.

However the fact that we still also very much need a winger (possibly even two), a central midfielder and a centre back, I personally don't want to get too excited about our potential options.

Good idea to keep track with whats going on for that position though. Do threads for wingers, central midfield and centre back please!

Fowi
Out of the La Liga players

Nacho Monreal is a solid LB seen him a few times, one of the better defensively left backs than going forward.

Ivan Obradovic i dont think would improve our left back problem.

I would add to the list

Roberto Canella of Sporting Gijon 23 years old, solid defensively and good at getting forward, was linked with Real Madrid last season and was very close to joining.

Alba as well, perhaps.

bilsland
Call me old-fashioned (if you dare :) ) but I want a LB who can defend, first and foremost and then if neccessary get forward.
I'm sick of us failing to stop crosses into the box from the left with our LB retreating from the opposition instead of getting the tackle in when it counts.

The second thing I want is someone with Prem experience so I suppose Enrique or Baines would make the most sense. , we can't afford to make any more expensive mistakes from Europe.

I think Aurelio is a fantastic footballer but he's made of glass and quite frankly I'm as good as him when he's not on the pitch(which means no good at all :D )

Lastly, anyone saying we should get Insua back needs to remember just how much he got skinned his last season with us and how often his only defence against the opposition was to grab their shirt as they were on their way past him, so no thanks.

biggiemal
19-3-11, 13:06
Fowi mate...if you yourself had the choice, who would get the shirt?

Captain Mauser
19-3-11, 13:06
Call me old-fashioned (if you dare :) ) but I want a LB who can defend, first and foremost and then if neccessary get forward.
I'm sick of us failing to stop crosses into the box from the left with our LB retreating from the opposition instead of getting the tackle in when it counts.

The second thing I want is someone with Prem experience so I suppose Enrique or Baines would make the most sense. , we can't afford to make any more expensive mistakes from Europe.

I think Aurelio is a fantastic footballer but he's made of glass and quite frankly I'm as good as him when he's not on the pitch(which means no good at all :D )

Lastly, anyone saying we should get Insua back needs to remember just how much he got skinned his last season with us and how often his only defence against the opposition was to grab their shirt as they were on their way past him, so no thanks.

Agree with most of this however whilst you're right about Insua, they're the exact same reasons why Skrtel has to go.

Clumsy, can't head the ball straight (if at all) and often resorts to shirt-pulling to try and cover his poor positioning.

naturalskill
19-3-11, 13:07

agree with all of that

Fowi
Fowi mate...if you yourself had the choice, who would get the shirt?

I gotta be honest, I'd go with Dortmund's Schmelzer because he has no apparent weakness.

Tiggy2
Lets get Konchesky back, he deserves another shot.

Ducksforcover

RogerHuntelaar
19-3-11, 13:09

Ducksforcover

http://static.bored.com/user/144350/media/18c0f50b35400px_Trollface_jpg.jpeg

biggiemal
19-3-11, 13:10

Ducksforcover

.22 or full on .50 cal :confused:

bilsland
19-3-11, 13:11
Agree with most of this however whilst you're right about Insua, they're the exact same reasons why Skrtel has to go.

Clumsy, can't head the ball straight (if at all) and often resorts to shirt-pulling to try and cover his poor positioning.

To be honest it is something our entire back line are guilty of and why we are not punished more for it I will never know:eek:
Even Kelly does it(mind you as he works alongside Carra he undoubtedly has picked it up from him :FP:) I think the only one not so guilty is Kyrgiakos.

Fowi
19-3-11, 13:11

Ducksforcover

Konchesky and Insua to return?

RogerHuntelaar
19-3-11, 13:13
To be honest it is something our entire back line are guilty of and why we are not punished more for it I will never know:eek:
Even Kelly does it(mind you as he works alongside Carra he undoubtedly has picked it up from him :FP:) I think the only one not so guilty is Kyrgiakos.

It's OK if defenders get forward sometimes. It's not poor positioning, it are tactics. Soto can't do this because he's worse on the ball than Carra!

bilsland
19-3-11, 13:16
It's OK if defenders get forward sometimes. It's not poor positioning, it are tactics. Soto can't do this because he's worse on the ball than Carra!

Ah, I thought I was talking about shirt-pulling :confused:

I have no problem with defenders getting forward either but in a left(or right) back I want them to be predominantly defenders first then have an ability to go forward as needed. Like Agger perhaps.

RogerHuntelaar
19-3-11, 13:20
Ah, I thought I was talking about shirt-pulling :confused:

I have no problem with defenders getting forward either but in a left(or right) back I want them to be predominantly defenders first then have an ability to go forward as needed. Like Agger perhaps.

Oh OK. Yeah, we need defenders who are better on the ball. When Agger is injured again, you just know we're gonna hoof it. It's why players like Lucio are more important than people think. He has the ability to bring the ball into midfield instead of in the other team's goalkeeper's hands. :D

REDULATE
19-3-11, 13:34
Quality post Fowi, however Baines is a blue and they wouldn't sell to us so he is off the list.

Also Taiwo only 25 :eek: i thought he was touching on 30, :IN:.

We should go all out for Coentrao, 20 million is buttons if we get a good 6/7 years minimum out of him, great player and can also fill in at left midfield too, could go for him and Jose Enrique, and add depth to the team and if we wanted to, play Enrique LB and Coentrao LM.

liverjackpool
19-3-11, 13:45
I'm surprised you left out Izaguire and Santon, although wouldn't get why of them
For me it'd have Baines or Coentrao or Schmelzer. I'd also go for Kadlec from Leverkusen as a back up LB, try and flog off Konchesky, and Insua possibly as part of the Kadlec deal.

Fowi
19-3-11, 13:49
I'm surprised you left out Izaguire and Santon, although wouldn't get why of them
For me it'd have Baines or Coentrao or Schmelzer. I'd also go for Kadlec from Leverkusen as a back up LB, try and flog off Konchesky, and Insua possibly as part of the Kadlec deal.

It was just the names off the top of my head so I've probably missed out on a lot. We'll add them to the list and keep track.

Captain Mauser
19-3-11, 14:02
It was just the names off the top of my head so I've probably missed out on a lot. We'll add them to the list and keep track.

Watch out Fowi... there'll be forum members loading 'Football Manager 2011' en masse just to look well researched.

RogerHuntelaar
19-3-11, 14:05
Watch out Fowi... there'll be forum members loading 'Football Manager 2011' en masse just to look well researched.

:D

"I'm worried because of his pace."

Captain Mauser
19-3-11, 14:07

"I'm worried because of his pace."

Is that a common quote when they see less than an 18 on his stat? :)

-Bodie-
19-3-11, 14:07
If we sign Anita, I'm gonna cry!

We do need a LB for sure.

Cry in a ''ooh we are signing my baby boo Anita woop woop'' way or in a ''nooo :crying he's a bag of poo'' way?

RogerHuntelaar
19-3-11, 14:08
Is that a common quote when they see less than an 18 on his stat? :)

I don't know, but a lot of people said that about Suarez. :D

Cry in a ''ooh we are signing my baby boo Anita woop woop'' way or in a ''nooo :crying he's a bag of poo'' way?

The latter.

slimman
19-3-11, 14:13
Very nice post Fowi.

For me, Schmeizer is the best one on the list and someone quite a few of us have mentioned already. I think though that Dortmund wouldn't sell but I they did we're looking at 15 million.

Coentrao would be my second.

-Bodie-
19-3-11, 14:16
Are Real Madrid still looking like favourites to sign Coentrao Fowi?

JustBlaze
19-3-11, 14:22
What happened to that Felipe from Deportivo?

50P-WSTB-Head
19-3-11, 14:24
If after buying a decent winger or two there are funds left to buy Coentrao then he should be top of the list. I would not be against selling glen to fund this either.

REDULATE
19-3-11, 14:25
Are Real Madrid still looking like favourites to sign Coentrao Fowi?

If they are we will take Marcelo... :IN: :scarf

RogerHuntelaar
19-3-11, 14:25

I would love that.

REDULATE
19-3-11, 14:26
If after buying a decent winger or two there are funds left to buy Coentrao then he should be top of the list. I would not be against selling glen to fund this either.

I would be, as that would mean we are in a 'sell to buy policy' like under G and H. ;)

Fowi
19-3-11, 14:26
What happened to that Felipe from Deportivo?

A favourite of mine for many years, but he's now at Atletico and I doubt he's available.

-Bodie-
19-3-11, 14:28

Yeah thats my whole point.First of all i cant believe that they would be looking to sign another LB when they have Marcelo but if they do sign Coentrao we should try to sign Marcelo.

-Bodie-
19-3-11, 14:29
A favourite of mine for many years, but he's now at Atletico and I doubt he's available.

Why do you doubt he's available? At the right price they would sell.

50P-WSTB-Head
19-3-11, 14:29
I would be, as that would mean we are in a 'sell to buy policy' like under G and H. ;)

If we had spent 30-40million on wingers before buying a LB then I could understand the having to sell to buy policy.

REDULATE
19-3-11, 14:31
If we had spent 30-40million on wingers before buying a LB then I could understand the having to sell to buy policy.

True, but who would we then play RB, Kelly will be a CB soon so we would be back to square 1, only this time the problem would be down the right hand side rather than the left

PeaTearGryphon
19-3-11, 14:32
What about that Uruguay fullback, Fucile? Thought he was quite a good player at the world Cup.

REDULATE
19-3-11, 14:32
What about that Uruguay fullback, Fucile? Thought he was quite a good player at the world Cup.

Good shout

Also what a brilliant username you have. :D

50P-WSTB-Head
19-3-11, 14:36
True, but who would we then play RB, Kelly will be a CB soon so we would be back to square 1, only this time the problem would be down the right hand side rather than the left

Easier to solve a problem down the right.

PeaTearGryphon
19-3-11, 14:37
Good shout

Also what a brilliant username you have. :D

:D Cheers! I love Family Guy!

REDULATE
19-3-11, 14:40
Easier to solve a problem down the right.

Who would you suggest we go for if this happens, personally I'd be pleased with having Van Der Wiel and Coentrao as our full backs.

SGBE
19-3-11, 14:42
Sounds like we don't have anyone being readied in the academy then?

Liverdinner
19-3-11, 15:14
Pace for me is the first attribute needed.

Then maybe solidity defensively. Then ability to get forward and then so on...

TomHighwaysM16
19-3-11, 15:45
Left and right back are very important for attacking play. We should pick complete players.

Daztraz
19-3-11, 16:01
Having just watched spurs v hammers, Wayne bridge looked quality at LB, he's only on loan so available & is young enough & English, to many foreign defenders can't cope with the pace & power required in the premiership today (Aurelio), he wouldn't cost a fortune either.

Yehez
19-3-11, 16:03
If Wendt is out of contract then we definately should get him.

Monreal is someone I liked for sometime. Wouldn't mind him. Same goes for Kadlec, who I think can be fantastic.

Still not convinced by Coentrao, although he would be worth a shot.

I know Armero from football manager only, but he is great in it. I've seen some highlights on him, can't comment properly here.

Some suggestions of my own :

Emerson
Federico Balzaretti
Stefan Radu (Probably more CB than LB)
Ismael Koybasi

50P-WSTB-Head
19-3-11, 16:22
Who would you suggest we go for if this happens, personally I'd be pleased with having Van Der Wiel and Coentrao as our full backs.

I would have Kelly at RB and buy a decent CB.

Alon1
19-3-11, 16:25
i think we are going to go for Jose Enrique, i don't think Kenny would want to spend a lot of money in an unproven player in that area.

ChriBS
19-3-11, 16:40
Good thread.

However the fact that we still also very much need a winger (possibly even two), a central midfielder and a centre back, I personally don't want to get too excited about our potential options.

Good idea to keep track with whats going on for that position though. Do threads for wingers, central midfield and centre back please!

This! Great thread. Would certainly be looking forward to other threads like for the mentioned positions.

ceredred
19-3-11, 17:14
George Elokobi has been good for Wolves, could he step up to the next level?

postmanedd
19-3-11, 17:19
George Elokobi has been good for Wolves, could he step up to the next level?

NO!

ceredred
19-3-11, 17:27
NO!I'd ask why not but you've been banned.:P

KopWaa
19-3-11, 17:36
As we all know the last time we had a 100% reliable left back was... I don't even know. Must have been before my time. The best of the mediocre bunch has to be Riise. Undoubtedly this is the issue we'll at least try to fix in the summer. So the answer is who?

Here are my offerings. Some are more realistic than others and obviously not all players are of required quality, but lets see what we can come up with.

Fabio Coentrao (22) - Benfica

Obviously, we all want this guy and we're not the only ones. Several clubs looked at him last summer and considered him to be too expensive. But he's clearly a player for now and for the future so if he is interested and we have the money I don't see why we wouldn't go for him.

Leighton Baines (26) - Everton

Perhaps not as unrealistic as we all think. Everton are not really going places and while he has played for our biggest rivals he's not really an Everton boy as such. He would undoubtedly do well for us.

Best left back in German football, league winner and German international. Also probably the most complete left back on this list. He can defend and attack. The downside is that he's just extended his contract until 2014 so unless we pay a sack load of money for him or Dortmund unravels in a mysterious way, it could be difficult. It's a damn shame we weren't alert last season when he first burst through for them.

Nacho Monreal (26) - Osasuna

The player we've been linked with for a couple of years now. From my limited exposure to this fella I've gathered that he's a solid enough player without being particularly excellent at anything.

Michal Kadlec (26) - Leverkusen

Latest player we've been linked with and apparently he wants to come. A couple of years ago I was a big fan of this guy, but he just hasn't kicked on. If anything he's gone backwards. But he's still "only" 26 so perhaps...

Oscar Wendt (25) - FC Copenhagen

Same as Kadlec. Showed immense promise, but lately he's been a let down. Excellent on the ball, but looks sluggish at the back and I fear for him in the Premier League. Still, he's out of contract in the summer so even if we sign another left back this fella could provide excellent cover. Can also play on the wing if needed.

Built like a 1994 washing machine. He would take no prisoners, but is much better going forward than he is at defending, probably because he finds the former a lot more fun than the latter. I suspect he'd cost a whole lot too, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Taye Taiwo (25) - Marseille

Age is iffy to say the least, but the talent really isn't. Not the best left back you'll see, but I doubt he'd let too many people down. Like Wendt, he's out of contract in the summer and I'm sure we're looking into it.

Ivan Obradovic (22) - Zaragoza

For some reason Serbian defenders rarely disappoint. This guy is no different. Just a solid defender who would rather defend than imitate Roberto Carlos, but he definitely can play a bit.

Vurnon Anita (21) - Ajax

Small and right footed left back, but he does have something about him. Like most Ajax players technique is flawless. Defending isn't. His age and potential could make him an interesting man for Amsterdam loving Comolli.

Luciano Monzon (23) - Boca Juniors

Quite excellent. Can attack, can defend. The problem is he failed two medicals due to heart conditions which was later dismissed, but he's still at Boca which could indicate all is not well with this fella. With our luck he'd suffer a heart attack on his debut in front of the Kop.

Another right footed left back, but this one off the top shelf. One of the best full backs at going on long runs with the ball and fully capable of beating more than one marker in front of him. I suspect the asking price for him would be very high, but then again it's no different for Coentrao.

Bastian Oczipka (22) - St Pauli (on loan from Leverkusen)

An impressive attacking left back in the proper German mould, i.e. freakishly blond and energetic. I reckon the reason Leverkusen are letting Kadlec leave is because they have this guy coming back. I'm sure Como knows all about him.

Domenico Criscito (24) - Genoa

Dare we try another Italian left back? To be fair to him there is not a lot of hype surrounding this guy. He's just solid at the back and decent going forward. Bayern tried to sign him in January but decided to hold off because of the price.

Reto Ziegler (25) - Sampdoria

A man well known to the Premier League, but nobody is quite able to figure out where he's at now. Seems decent at times and then disappears like a ghost. The age is still on his side and his experience of English football is a bonus as well.

Now, lets see who we get. My picks are the Top two.

KopWaa
19-3-11, 17:39
Mods its a bit of a joke that i can't give Fowi Rep this is one of the best posts i have seen on here, Researched to a tea, knowledge of each player, their strengths and weaknesses, A Diamond Post By Fowi.

ceredred
19-3-11, 17:41
Mods its a bit of a joke that i can't give Fowi Rep this is one of the best posts i have seen on here, Researched to a tea, knowledge of each player, their strengths and weaknesses, A Diamond Post By Fowi.Are you out of rep or have to spread it around before repping Fowi?

KopWaa
19-3-11, 17:42
Are you out of rep or have to spread it around before repping Fowi? Spread it round, silly in fairness

ceredred
19-3-11, 17:45
Spread it round, silly in fairnessNothing I can do about it, sorry. I've repped him using my rep..we'll call it going halves as I think it's a damn fine thread that will grow.:)

KopWaa
19-3-11, 17:47
Nothing I can do about it, sorry. I've repped him using my rep..we'll call it going halves as I think it's a damn fine thread that will grow.:) I like your style half it is, i just feel strongly about this thread, Cheers Mate :)

RedBaros
19-3-11, 17:56
From the list, I like the sound of Christian Ansaldi, to name a name other than the popular.

My questions are, will we be trying to sign Micah Richards again and where will that leave everyone else?

Would that mean Johnson as our no.1 LB with Wilson as cover?
(I can't see Fabio staying on again after so many injuries, soccernomics...)

Will we be spending 20m on Micah and then still be looking at spending more on defence?

As an overall conclusion I could imagine us losing a couple and signing a couple. (not counting Konch or Insua as they're already gonners)

Maybe Micah more for CB as we splash out more on a new LB?

It's gripping stuff this coming window. :P

Fowi
19-3-11, 18:05
If Wendt is out of contract then we definately should get him.

I think he'd struggle defensively tbh. He does at times in the Danish league as well. On the ball he's beautiful. Lovely first touch, good overlapping and decent crosses. At the back he's lightweight at times and can easily mistime a tackle. It's difficult to call. He's 25 and he might simply fit our team like a glove or he could struggle. But on a free I'd sign him as back up because we need two left backs in the summer.

Fowi
19-3-11, 18:06
From the list, I like the sound of Christian Ansaldi, to name a name other than the popular.

Fantastic player. The sort of left back that can carry your attacking game like a young Zambrotta did for Juventus.

Andyfagan
19-3-11, 18:16
I think he'd struggle defensively tbh. He does at times in the Danish league as well. On the ball he's beautiful. Lovely first touch, good overlapping and decent crosses. At the back he's lightweight at times and can easily mistime a tackle. It's difficult to call. He's 25 and he might simply fit our team like a glove or he could struggle. But on a free I'd sign him as back up because we need two left backs in the summer.

Sounds like Insua.

Mike-91
19-3-11, 18:17
Coentrao. But I think he might be out of our price range for a LB.

Schmelzer is another player I would love, smashing LB.

And of course Baines, but I am not sure we could get him from Everton.

Fowi
19-3-11, 18:17
Sounds like Insua.

He's not. Wendt is an elegant player. Insua was not.

Mike-91
19-3-11, 18:18
Sounds like Insua.

How is he doing these days anyway?

RedBaros
19-3-11, 18:22
Fantastic player. The sort of left back that can carry your attacking game like a young Zambrotta did for Juventus.

I'll have to catch a Rubin game somehow, and there's naff all on the tube except a Riiseesque longshot.

You said he'd be expensive but I found that City were on the verge of signing him for 4m, Jan last year? http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/miscellaneous/13719/man-city-verging-on-cristian-ansaldi-signing-emmanuel-pogatetz-greek-switch-denied.html

At that price you can't really go wrong if he's that promising, maybe a better bet than Coentrao for 20? Or would his price have rocketed since?

-Cactus-
19-3-11, 18:33
I don't really know enough about these LB's to comment on them, but I would hesitate to buy someone like Coentrao who'd probably cost us at least 20 million and more likely 25 million. We need so many new players this summer, that splashing such an amount on perhaps the most wanted LB in Europe right now doesn't seem very wise. If a new LB was our only real priority, I'd be all for it, but as it stands I think we need a new CB, LB, DM, CM(?), wingers/wide men and a new striker.

Unless we have 150m to spend on new players I'd rather go for a decent LB in the 10m range, plus maybe a backup LB on a free transfer.

Excellent thread by the way! :)

Fowi
19-3-11, 18:37
I'll have to catch a Rubin game somehow, and there's naff all on the tube except a Riiseesque longshot.

You said he'd be expensive but I found that City were on the verge of signing him for 4m, Jan last year? http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/miscellaneous/13719/man-city-verging-on-cristian-ansaldi-signing-emmanuel-pogatetz-greek-switch-denied.html

At that price you can't really go wrong if he's that promising, maybe a better bet than Coentrao for 20? Or would his price have rocketed since?

That was quite a long time ago. I think his price has rocketed since then. It's always difficult signing players from Russia or Ukraine, especially if they're foreign. Usually they're tied to massive contract.

GeorgeLFC
19-3-11, 18:50
Just posted this in other thread but Baines is 4th in terms of assists in the premier league behind Nani, Arshavin and Rooney with 10 assists for the season. Imagine what he can do with Carroll as a target man. :eek:

Venantium
19-3-11, 18:52
Ive been calling for Newcastles Jose Enrique for over a year now.

He would be ideal, good in possession, positional sense is excellent and he has the pace to match any right winger that comes up against him.

Also think we wouldnt have to break the bank to get him, hes a top left back.

Venantium
19-3-11, 18:53
Just posted this in other thread but Baines is 4th in term of assists in the premier league behind Nani, Arshavin and Rooney with 10 assists for the season. Imagine what he can do with Carroll as a target man. :eek:

Baines wont come here, I wanted us to get him from Wigan but at the time we didnt have the huge problem at left back that we do now.

LLS
19-3-11, 18:57
As for Baines, I think I've heard that he's actually a Liverpool fan. He might have even said it himself when he was on something like Soccer AM. This was before he joined the Bitters of course.

GeorgeLFC
19-3-11, 19:01
Baines wont come here, I wanted us to get him from Wigan but at the time we didnt have the huge problem at left back that we do now.

Well I understand the rivalry and everything but the fact is if Everton are gonna put players on sale which they do most of the time we loose on it. Emotions sometimes take over rational thinking. Other clubs and specially scums have bought top talent from Everton for years now.

Its like a production factory for Utd. Rooney before, the are after Rodwell now and may scoop a few more with Everton's financial troubles. All I am saying is there is nothing wrong in making a enquiry. People talk about paying 25-30 mil for Coentrao, I think we can get Baines for much less than that with proven premiership experience, good defender and good in attack as the stats show.

LHunter
19-3-11, 19:04
I just what a out and out LB So i would go for Obradovic. If we can get a LB by not breaking the bank and that can defend ill be happy.
Good post.

RedBaros
19-3-11, 19:09
That was quite a long time ago. I think his price has rocketed since then. It's always difficult signing players from Russia or Ukraine, especially if they're foreign. Usually they're tied to massive contract.

Kolarov was 16m so I'd guess around 12m for Ansaldi if his value's gone up since.
If FSG want to pay 20m for Coentrao I'll be highly impressed and I'm all for it if they want to go for it. Otherwise it looks like Ansaldi could be a sensible option, and we definitely need players who can play football. Argy too which is great for luring others of his kind..:P

RedFirefly
19-3-11, 19:11
Well I understand the rivalry and everything but the fact is if Everton are gonna put players on sale which they do most of the time we loose on it. Emotions sometimes take over rational thinking. Other clubs and specially scums have bought top talent from Everton for years now.

Its like a production factory for Utd. Rooney before, now its Smalling, the are after Rodwell now and may scoop a few more with Everton's financial troubles. All I am saying is there is nothing wrong in making a enquiry. People talk about paying 25-30 mil for Coentrao, I think we can get Baines for much less than that with proven premiership experience, good defender and good in attack as the stats show.

Smalling came from Fulham iirc.

KimJong-illmatic
19-3-11, 19:13
I'm big on Coentrao.

-Sign him.
-Sign Sanchez.
-Sell some dead weight from the team
-Recall Aquilani so Spearing/Poulsen aren't our secret weapons off the bench

=Best summer ever

GeorgeLFC
19-3-11, 19:13
Smalling came from Fulham iirc.
My Bad :p

Still would like us to give a try for Baines

Oakryrch
19-3-11, 19:19
Coentrao is the main man for most people including myself and would love him here. He's been quoted as saying "I love Liverpool" in whatever that was in reference to though I don't know if that quote was real.

Anyway, if we couldn't get Coentrao, I'd like Baines or Enrique. Is Baines actually a Red or a Blue? Does anyone really know because I've seen so many stories and I'm just confused. :D. Baines is one of the best in this league but I hugely doubt the Bitters would sell.

Enrique I wouldn't mind either, like Baines he has a bit of everything to be a good LB and both are proven in this league.

I haven't seen the others but I've heard good things about Schmelzer and Ansaldi.

I don't know if he's any good but what do people make of the Basel LB Behrang Safari. I've heard his name mentioned before but not on this thread.

GeorgeLFC
19-3-11, 19:22
I'm big on Coentrao.

-Sign him.
-Sign Sanchez.

=Best summer ever

I would like Coentrao here the only problem is apart from Madrid also being after him, he signed a new contract at start of this season and has termination clause of 25mil.

LHunter
19-3-11, 19:26
-Sign Sanchez.

=Best summer ever

we need to do this big time.

KimJong-illmatic
19-3-11, 19:28
I would like Coentrao here the only problem is apart from Madrid also being after him, he signed a new contract at start of this season and has termination clause of 25mil.

For sure he wouldn't come cheap, but it's not impossible.

Liverpool should always have a decent shot at raiding the hot commodities from teams like Benfica and Udinese.

Snippes
19-3-11, 19:38
To be honest, unless the name is Philip Lahm, I don't want to see a right footed LB here. Might as well keep Johnson there then next season. Even when he has done a good job there, it still kind of bothers me and leaves me thinking we haven't fixed the problem.

If we are serious about solving the problem over the next 5 years, Coentrao is the only sure answer. That's it for the list.

Schmelzer is about the only playe who would soften the disappointment for not getting Coentrao. The rest would be just the latest chapter of yet another project. A project that might work but has just as much of a chance of being an on-going problem.

If we really are serious about getting back to where we belong - its time to act like it. If we don't, we will be looking forward to more years of wandering about as also runs and that would suck.

Oakryrch
19-3-11, 19:47

Liverpool should always have a decent shot at raiding the hot commodities from teams like Benfica and Udinese.

We've always done that in the past so why stop now.

Suarez was bought from that kind of teamAjax and I suppose you can include Carroll in there aswell

I think we're in a position now to usurp other clubs to signing top talent. The project is there, the manager is there, the finances are there. It just depends on whether the player will want to come for the money or the ambition?

With the influence of agents and money, it makes our job harder but then money talks...

RedBaros
19-3-11, 19:50
To be honest, unless the name is Philip Lahm, I don't want to see a right footed LB here. Might as well keep Johnson there then next season. Even when he has done a good job there, it still kind of bothers me and leaves me thinking we haven't fixed the problem.

If we are serious about solving the problem over the next 5 years, Coentrao is the only sure answer. That's it for the list.

Schmelzer is about the only playe who would soften the disappointment for not getting Coentrao. The rest would be just the latest chapter of yet another project. A project that might work but has just as much of a chance of being an on-going problem.

If we really are serious about getting back to where we belong - its time to act like it. If we don't, we will be looking forward to more years of wandering about as also runs and that would suck.

How much do you know about Cristian Ansaldi?

GeorgeLFC
19-3-11, 19:50

30 mil for LB, you sure mate? specially with other options available as mentioned by the OP. No guarantee of European football next season. Benfica don't back down on price or method of payment we saw that in the David Luiz case. I am confident of getting Sanchez but not about Coentrao.

Gazza74
19-3-11, 20:07

Ryan Lowe, who plays for Bury, was a guest on the phone in on LFC tv last night, he's a scouser and a Red.

Anyway, a caller was talking about Baines and Ryan knows him and said he'd spoken to him about our left back problem and asked him if he'd come here and Baines told him no chance, he wouldn't play for us now he's played for them.

Baines said he likes going into town to much and he'd be lynched by the bluenoses if he played for us.:D

No chance of that happening, the chance of getting Baines ended when he joined Everton, or it seems that way anyway.

In terms of who i'd like my choice at the minute is Jose Enrique.

He impressed me in the Championship last season, but i wanted to see if he stepped back up to the prem before i'd consider him for us and he's looked excellent this year and has really come on as a player.

Quite a lot of choice at varying prices and in truth, i'd rather try get someone like Enrique who'll be fairly cheap and allow us to splash out on a couple of wingers or skilful wide players at least.

I'd hate for us to have to pay a stupid fee for a left back and then end up with another Gonzalez or Pennant on the cheap.

Snippes
19-3-11, 20:19
How much do you know about Cristian Ansaldi?

Only off a few games to be perfectly honest. Am no expert on him - but I have seen him play a few times.

I am not saying all the other players we are talking about are crap, mind. Am just saying...like we did when we went out to get Suarez, sometimes you just need to go for the best around and pay whatever you need to pay to get them. Suarez was once considered so expensive and out of our reach and we would face stiff competition to get him. Yet, like he said the other day, when Liverpool showed direct serious interest, he was sold on us and screw everyone else.

Coentrao is on top of everyone's list and we can feel sorry for ourselves about not having Europe next season, we are rebuilding etc etc and then settle for lesser players, OR, we can say its better to spend 20MM right now for the best LB/WB maybe for the next half decade in the world or longer, rather than spend 7MM for a punt, find out we need to spend another 10MM in a year when this one does not work out, and keep repeating the cycle ending up spending way more than the 20MM while wasting valuable time.

We have a couple of players at the club who speak his language....I believe if Comolli doggedly goes after him like he did Suarez that he can get him.

The only reason we don't is if we can't back up our financial muscles or if we lack the ambition. Would hate to have that be the case.

There are many good players on this thread, many of them who could probably make it big for us. I just would rather just go for the sure thing....Coentrao to me would be almost Bale-esque in that he would allow us to play him LB but also as a WB giving Kenny flexibity when we go 3 at the back. Plus the guy is effin fantastic!! I don't know of a better LB than him right now and over the next 5 years.

Bali2
19-3-11, 20:31
Ansaldi would be the best option outside of Coentrao. Both are great players. And Ansaldi makes proper tackles too. I reckon he'd jump at the chance to join a Premier league team.

We should also buy Mamadou Sakho but that's another thread.

YNWA

Dave00
19-3-11, 20:44
Just read right through this thread and it made for interesting reading, well done Fowi yet another good footie thread from you.:)

I don't watch enough european football to be able to comment on most of the players mentioned in this thread.

The only thing i would say is considering that Mr Abramovich made sure that FSG didn't have to hurt their pockets too much in the January transfer window i have a feeling that FSG are going to spend big in the summer.

If i'm right then one of the players that really caught my eye in the last world cup was Coentrao, so if FSG are going to spend big and offload some baggage aswell then why not go for the best in every position we need filled?

Give Kenny the best and he will have us all grinning from ear to ear.:)

RedBaros
19-3-11, 20:45
Only off a few games to be perfectly honest. Am no expert on him - but I have seen him play a few times.

I am not saying all the other players we are talking about are crap, mind. Am just saying...like we did when we went out to get Suarez, sometimes you just need to go for the best around and pay whatever you need to pay to get them. Suarez was once considered so expensive and out of our reach and we would face stiff competition to get him. Yet, like he said the other day, when Liverpool showed direct serious interest, he was sold on us and screw everyone else.

Coentrao is on top of everyone's list and we can feel sorry for ourselves about not having Europe next season, we are rebuilding etc etc and then settle for lesser players, OR, we can say its better to spend 20MM right now for the best LB/WB maybe for the next half decade in the world or longer, rather than spend 7MM for a punt, find out we need to spend another 10MM in a year when this one does not work out, and keep repeating the cycle ending up spending way more than the 20MM while wasting valuable time.

We have a couple of players at the club who speak his language....I believe if Comolli doggedly goes after him like he did Suarez that he can get him.

The only reason we don't is if we can't back up our financial muscles or if we lack the ambition. Would hate to have that be the case.

There are many good players on this thread, many of them who could probably make it big for us. I just would rather just go for the sure thing....Coentrao to me would be almost Bale-esque in that he would allow us to play him LB but also as a WB giving Kenny flexibity when we go 3 at the back. Plus the guy is effin fantastic!! I don't know of a better LB than him right now and over the next 5 years.

Will be great work if we can get him, I was just a bit sidetracked on the matter by our 20m bid for Micah Richards, and if we're trying that again will they go another 20 for Coentrao.

40m on defence is mindblowing considering all the other work that needs to be done, but who knows we're in new territory now, 40m for FSG may be run of the mill going on their baseball exploits.

Gazza74
19-3-11, 20:49
If FSG can allow Kenny to get Coentrao, Ashley Young, Hazard, Adam and maybe a centre half this summer than sound by me, i won't be complaining.

I just feel we may need to compromise and i just feel with a left back we can do this better than with a winger or 2, as we've been doing that for over a decade with wingers and ended up with chumps.

A Jose Enrique would be fine with me if there needs to be a compromise somewhere to have the cash to get the other players in other areas, but again, sure, if we can get Coentrao aswell, sound.

We need quality attacking players though and especially a winger or 2 with skill and pace and only if we can get these aswell should we go for Coentrao, who'll no doubt cost the earth.

I'd hate to see Coentrao and then have Maxi and Kuyt on the wings...:FP:

I'll cry...:D

Mind you, we may not be able to do everything in one window, so if Coentrao and one quality wide attacker comes in for now, that would be fine.

Just give me some pace and skill on the wings PLEASE...:D

-Bodie-
19-3-11, 20:51
Will be great work if we can get him, I was just a bit sidetracked on the matter by our 20m bid for Micah Richards, and if we're trying that again will they go another 20 for Coentrao.

40m on defence is mindblowing considering all the other work that needs to be done, but who knows we're in new territory now, 40m for FSG may be run of the mill going on their baseball exploits.

I highly doubt we did bid that tbh.

Dave00
19-3-11, 20:56
If FSG can allow Kenny to get Coentrao, Ashley Young, Hazard, Adam and maybe a centre half this summer than sound by me, i won't be complaining.

I just feel we may need to compromise and i just feel with a left back we can do this better than with a winger or 2, as we've been doing that for over a decade with wingers and ended up with chumps.

A Jose Enrique would be fine with me if there needs to be a compromise somewhere to have the cash to get the other players in other areas, but again, sure, if we can get Coentrao aswell, sound.

We need quality attacking players though and especially a winger or 2 with skill and pace and only if we can get these aswell should we go for Coentrao, who'll no doubt cost the earth.

I'd hate to see Coentrao and then have Maxi and Kuyt on the wings...:FP:

I'll cry...:D

Mind you, we may not be able to do everything in one window, so if Coentrao and one quality wide attacker comes in for now, that would be fine.

Just give me some pace and skill on the wings PLEASE...:D

Gazza i know one thing for sure this summers transfer window is going to be fascinating as i truly believe that FSG are going to be very competitive in it.

Bring it on and bring on the 2011/2012 season.:scarf

domino
19-3-11, 20:58
FSG's desire and spending in this transfer window will be the least of our worries.

The biggest concern will be actually persuading the types of player we need to get us back to the top to come here.

BainneUr
19-3-11, 21:01
In the signing of a left back with respect to any other signings we need to remember the Financial fair play rules.
Enrique would be interesting then spendin a bit more dough on wingers.

BainneUr
19-3-11, 21:02
Gazza i know one thing for sure this summers transfer window is going to be fascinating as i truly believe that FSG are going to be very competitive in it.

Bring it on and bring on the 2011/2012 season.:scarf

Bring on the summer, it'll be fairly interesting.

Dave00
19-3-11, 21:04
FSG's desire and spending in this transfer window will be the least of our worries.

The biggest concern will be actually persuading the types of player we need to get us back to the top to come here.

I honestly don't think that will be a problem mate.;)

Gazza74
19-3-11, 21:07

Well, that is down to Kenny and Comolli to convince them that whilst there may not be any CL football next season, with their help, we'll be back there in no time.

Not to mention that we're craving the league title moreso and each player signing for us will take us a step closer to that, thus they'll get their CL footie wish through that aswell.

There are enough players in the world to not worry about those who will only join a club who are in the CL next season.

Liverdinner

It is always a problem tbh Dave and will be made harder now that we have little to offer them immediately. But we can still get quality players. Sanchez at Udinese for example isnt used to big competitions anyway and neither are many players we would want.

domino

I have no doubt there will be an avalanche of new players in this summer, and that our spending will probably break all our records.

But if an A/B grade player is available there will be teams in for him who can offer CL football/title challenges. It will be difficult to tempt those to turn that down for us.

Shajan
19-3-11, 21:12
Coentrao

Don't like us buying a Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal or United player tbh :P

-Bodie-
19-3-11, 21:14
Coentrao

Don't like us buying a Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal or United player tbh :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz54GILHkNg

domino
19-3-11, 21:15

I have no doubt there will be an avalanche of new players in this summer, and that our spending will probably break all our records.

But if an A/B grade player is available there will be teams in for him who can offer CL football/title challenges. It will be difficult to tempt those to turn that down for us.

Shajan
19-3-11, 21:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz54GILHkNg

-Bodie-
19-3-11, 21:18

:D Im not really calling you a fool i've just been looking for any little excuse to link that. Been watching a few Mortal Kombat clips on Youtube :D.

Shajan
19-3-11, 21:19
:D Im not really calling you a fool i've just been looking for any little excuse to link that. Been watching a few Mortal Kombat clips on Youtube :D.

Hahaha totally worth it!

RedBaros
19-3-11, 21:28

Obviously you have a point but it's not like we're doomed to be a mid table team for the rest of time. We're realistically looking at getting back in the top 4 straight away, and if the players we're after are sold on our plans by seeing other players we're signing or have signed already, Suarez, Carroll etc then it isn't all that much of a downer being out of Europe.

My biggest worry is losing Pepe, but I'm still confident FSG will keep him believing through their actions.

You're a top class player in talks with Liverpool and you want to know where we're going and why you should join with no CL on offer when you could sign for City. For starters we've got quite a few starting 11 positions available, and then you see the budget, our ambition and plans for a new stadium.

All depends what you make of the overall package and if you'd rather that than wedging yourself into an overblown City squad full of ***** :p

edit: all that before you get started on the romantic stuff of playing for this club..;)

Dave00
19-3-11, 21:56

Oh yes i accept that point about no CL and it is a valid point. That is where Mr Comolli's skills will be tested to the limit in persuading players that Liverpool are serious about building for the future and the near future at that.

DominusLesus
19-3-11, 22:12

From the list they are certainly who i feel would fit into our team and give us an edge on the left but that isn't saying much.

I would also add Makeev, who looks very sound at either Left Back or Right back as well as both wing positions.

REDULATE
19-3-11, 22:17
Dario Srjna? Can get him for free this summer I think and can play numeros positions?

Dynasty-inthe-Making
19-3-11, 23:07
I'd love to have a player in the mold of Marcelo at RM has technical ability & fast going forward while being solid back at the defensive end...

You know what sign Marcelo! :FP:

RedBaros
19-3-11, 23:22
Dario Srjna? Can get him for free this summer I think and can play numeros positions?

We'll see how he copes against Barca.

RedBaros
20-3-11, 00:18
Figueroa!

Nice goal..;)

Graggster
20-3-11, 00:19
Liverpool preparing a bid for Baines

GeorgeLFC
20-3-11, 00:28

He will be a good signing but you wouldn't mind if I asked you for the source?

Graggster
20-3-11, 00:29
He will be a good signing but you wouldn't mind if I asked you for the source?

some jounalist on talksport.. gossip

but would be thrilled

liverjackpool
20-3-11, 00:35

Please let this be true, oh and on Vernon Anita, the last times I've seen him he's played in centre midfield alongside DeZeeuw, some guy called Blint played at LB. Also, I we are to buy Coentrao, I'd use him as a wingback

Reina
Kelly---NEW CB---Agger
Johnson----------------------Coentrao
Gerrard---Lucas/NEW DM--- Meireles
Suarez------Carrol

Gazza74
20-3-11, 00:41

According to Ryan Lowe, Baines wouldn't come here, so it could be pointless unless Neverton accepted a bid and told him to leave and come here.

Graggster
20-3-11, 00:43
According to Ryan Lowe, Baines wouldn't come here, so it could be pointless unless Neverton accepted a bid and told him to leave and come here.

we'll see

Gazza74
20-3-11, 00:48
we'll see

Sure, but i just lost any semblence of thought we could get Baines when Ryan said that yesterday on LFC TV as he knows him and got told the move to us will never happen by Baines himself.

Graggster
20-3-11, 00:49
Sure, but i just lost any semblence of thought we could get Baines when Ryan said that yesterday on LFC TV as he knows him and got told the move to us will never happen by Baines himself.

ok we'll see

Gazza74
20-3-11, 00:51
ok we'll see

Hope it happens, don't get me wrong, but it seems Baines has to much respect for Everton, so...............

Graggster
20-3-11, 00:52
Hope it happens, don't get me wrong, but it seems Baines has to much respect for Everton, so...............

even if baines come out said he doesnt want to play for liverpool i'd take it as a pinch of salt:)

Gazza74
20-3-11, 01:01
even if baines come out said he doesnt want to play for liverpool i'd take it as a pinch of salt:)

I'm not saying he won't come here, just passing on what Ryan Lowe said, who is mates with Baines.

Jazzy-J
20-3-11, 01:05
Out of interest, does anybody know if Ryan Lowe mentioned anything about whether or not Baines would come here?

Graggster
20-3-11, 01:06
I'm not saying he won't come here, just passing on what Ryan Lowe said, who is mates with Baines.

ok fine you told me and it makes no difference.. i still think we have an excellent chance of signing him

can we leave it at that is this going to turn into another yes he will no he wont?? like the dalglish debate because of what you heard him say?

things can change fast in football gazza.. you should know that by now. we see it every week in football.

ceredred
20-3-11, 01:10
ok fine you told me and it makes no difference.. i still think we have an excellent chance of signing him

can we leave it at that is this going to turn into another yes he will no he wont?? like the dalglish debate because of what you heard him say?

things can change fast in football gazza.. you should know that by now. we see it every week in football.After the love fest that Torres gave to our club I believe in diddly squat and believe anything can happen now.:)

Graggster
20-3-11, 01:11
After the love fest that Torres gave to our club I believe in diddly squat and believe anything can happen now.:)

indeed

RedBaros
20-3-11, 01:12
Leighton told me no way would he sign for that shower, hmmm (http://www.celebla.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/rob-lowe-nanny.jpg)

Gazza74
Things can change fast in football gazza.. you should know that by now. we see it every week in football.

I haven't disputed that, i just think Moyes would sell his wife to us before he'd sell us one of his best players, so getting Baines would require the player himself to have one hell of a strop with Everton and cause a storm.

I'm just not sure Baines would do that, so Everton will just tell us to do one no matter if we bid or not.

I hope we get Baines and i hope he tells Moyes to shove his small club up his arse and comes here, i just won't be expecting it.

CrawleyRed
Out of interest, does anybody know if Ryan Lowe mentioned anything about whether or not Baines would come here?

I don't believe so, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for anyone posting otherwise.

Graggster
20-3-11, 01:14
I haven't disputed that, i just think Moyes would sell his wife to us before he'd sell us one of his best players, so getting Baines would require the player himself to have one hell of a strop with Everton and cause a storm.

I'm just not sure Baines would do that, so Everton will just tell us to do one no matter if we bid or not.

I hope we get Baines and i hope he tells Moyes to shove his small club up his arse and comes here, i just won't be expecting it.

anyway you didnt even want baines.. so bahh humbug

Gazza74
20-3-11, 01:18
After the love fest that Torres gave to our club I believe in diddly squat and believe anything can happen now.:)

I'm the same, i just feel it's different in this case, Baines is a scouser and knows the score in this city, changing between the 2 clubs in this day and age would not be pretty for him.

I mean, sure, i hope Baines tells Everton to do one and comes here, i just don't see it.

Gazza74
20-3-11, 01:28
anyway you didnt even want baines.. so bahh humbug

What has that got to do with anything?

Nothing is the answer.

I want him now and would have him now, but i just think unless something extraordinary happens it won't happen.

If that extraordinary thing happens, sound, it'll be a great addition, if not, i hope we get Jose Enrique, who is more attainable i reckon.

Gazza74
20-3-11, 01:30

I knew it would annoy certain people on here so i mentioned it a few times.

I'll do it again to.

Graggster
20-3-11, 01:34
What has that got to do with anything?

Nothing is the answer.

I want him now and would have him now, but i just think unless something extraordinary happens it won't happen.

If that extraordinary thing happens, sound, it'll be a great addition, if not, i hope we get Jose Enrique, who is more attainable i reckon.

it really wouldnt be that extraordinary just because one of his mates said

whats more extraordinary is someone was very happy we didnt sign a young baines for 3-4mil few seasons ago and now be happy to sign him

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=104544&highlight=baines

anyway dont know why you keep telling me his mates uncle said he doesnt want to play for lfc.. i really couldny give a **** and it wont change my stance no matter how many times you tell me

Gazza74
20-3-11, 01:42
whats more extraordinary is someone was very happy we didnt sign a young baines for 3-4mil few seasons ago and now be happy to sign him

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=104544&highlight=baines

Not really, as you said yourself:-

things can change fast in football gazza.. you should know that by now. we see it every week in football.

I wasn't a big admirer of Baines when he went to Everton and we didn't need a left back at that time anyway in my opinion.

Now i am, i think he's developed into a fine left back and is far better than he was even a couple of seasons ago, he's so consistent now the last 2 years or so, whereas he wasn't before, even Evertonians said that.

Plus, we now badly need a left back, so i'd like to have him here whereas i didn't 4 years ago or whatever it was.

Things can change in football fast, eh Graggy................

Graggster
20-3-11, 01:45
Not really, as you said yourself:-

I wasn't a big admirer of Baines when he went to Everton and we didn't need a left back at that time anyway in my opinion.

Now i am, i think he's developed into a fine left back and is far better than he was even a couple of seasons ago, he's so consistent now the last 2 years or so, whereas he wasn't before, even Evertonians said that.

Plus, we now badly need a left back, so i'd like to have him here whereas i didn't 4 years ago or whatever it was.

Things can change in football fast, eh Graggy................

Nothing has changed with Baines he was a quality young LB and hes now a quality older LB

Yawnnnnnmnn

slimman
20-3-11, 01:50
Still talking about Baines i see.

Gazza74
20-3-11, 01:51
Nothing has changed with Baines he was a quality young LB and hes now a quality older LB

Yawnnnnnmnn

Yes, he had talent when he was younger, i have never said anything different.

He just hadn't done enough for ME to want us to sign him back then, now he has.

Jose Enrique has always had talent, but 2 years ago i didn't want him here as he hadn't done enough for me.

Now, he's gone up to another level after a year in the Championship and then this season back in the prem keeping that form up and he is now good enough for this club.

I know you have a problem with this concept, but it is possible to change your mind on things, especially when it comes to footballers and their development and being good enough for this club.

Graggster
20-3-11, 01:54
Yes, he had talent when he was younger, i have never said anything different.

He just hadn't done enough for ME to want us to sign him back then, now he has.

Jose Enrique has always had talent, but 2 years ago i didn't want him here as he hadn't done enough for me.

Now, he's gone up to another level after a year in the Championship and then this season back in the prem keeping that form up and he is now good enough for this club.

I know you have a problem with this concept, but it is possible to change your mind on things, especially when it comes to footballers and their development and being good enough for this club.

you even thought insua was far better and once he was established there would be no contest... OMG

why i do i bother

Boring

Gazza74
20-3-11, 02:01
you even thought insua was far better and once he was established there would be no contest... OMG

why i do i bother

Boring

I know, fancy me having an opinion 2 years ago, eh.

If i remember correctly, many were excited about Insua at the time of that thread in May 2009. Not my fault he went downhill fast in 09/10.

Baines wasn't performing then either like he has been since the start of 09/10, not consistently anyway, even Bluenoses weren't sure up until last season.

Not sure what relevance all this has to do with what i originally said anyway.

I could think Baines is the worst left back in history, i could think he's the best and wanted him since he was a glint in the milkmans eye, it's has zero relevance to what was being discussed.

Getting Baines in the summer will be extremely difficult for us because of the rivallry between the 2 clubs, it's not rocket science.

Graggster
20-3-11, 02:02
I know, fancy me having an opinion 2 years ago, eh.

If i remember correctly, many were excited about Insua at the time of that thread in May 2009. Not my fault he went downhill fast in 09/10.

Not sure what relevance all this has to do with what i originally said anyway.

I could think Baines is the worst left back in history, i could think he's the best and wanted him since he was a glint in the milkmans eye, it's has zero relevance to what was being discussed.

Getting Baines in the summer will be extremely difficult for us because of the rivallry between the 2 clubs, it's not rocket science.

we'll see

Gazza74
20-3-11, 02:08
we'll see

Another question needing to be asked is whether he even wants to leave Everton.

He's playing for one of his hometown clubs already and he could well be happy to see his career out there.

Has anything been said about him being unhappy there and wanting to leave??

Graggster
20-3-11, 02:09
Another question needing to be asked is whether he even wants to leave Everton.

He's playing for one of his hometown clubs already and he could well be happy to see his career out there.

Has anything been said about him being unhappy there and wanting to leave??

we'll see this summer

Gazza74
20-3-11, 02:14
we'll see this summer

I know that, i'm asking a question for now.

Has anything been said that's intimated he would like to move to a club challenging for honours as i've not heard anything here in Liverpool or seen anything suggesting this.

You hear/read stuff about Arteta, Pienaar(Before he left), Cahill, Howard, Rodwell, but i've not about Baines at all in relation to contracts or may or may not leave etc etc.

Just wondered if there's anything around i've not seen/heard that suggests he's looking to leave and would.

LucasAintDancin
20-3-11, 02:17
http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthr...ghlight=baines

Some absolute shockers in there:eek: People saying Insua was going to be one of the best lb's in the world? Even when he broke through I was pretty wary of him. Baines would be a great addition and that thread above proves how much the lads improved in 2 years. Who's to say he wont keep improving.
Still,I don't think it would happen:(
Guess we'll have to settle with this Coentrao chap? Portuguese git:o

Graggster

Has anything been said that's intimated he would like to move to a club challenging for honours as i've not heard anything here in Liverpool or seen anything suggesting this.

You hear/read stuff about Arteta, Pienaar(Before he left), Cahill, Howard, Rodwell, but i've not about Baines at all in relation to contracts or may or may not leave etc etc.

Just wondered if there's anything around i've not seen/heard that suggests he's looking to leave and would.

Has he said anything that he wants to stay:confused:

its all irilevant gazza, maybe he will stay maybe he will go.. if he does go i beleive lfc stand an excellent chance of signing him no matter what his gran said.

You dont.. we disagree as usual.

Have a goodnight

REDULATE

Nothings been said, which is why it does my head in when people link him with us, as if we have a chance of signing an actual bluenose from Everton..

Graggster
20-3-11, 02:24
http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthr...ghlight=baines

Some absolute shockers in there:eek: People saying Insua was going to be one of the best lb's in the world? Even when he broke through I was pretty wary of him. Baines would be a great addition and that thread above proves how much the lads improved in 2 years. Who's to say he wont keep improving.
Still,I don't think it would happen:(
Guess we'll have to settle with this Coentrao chap? Portuguese git:o

it was obvious he was going to be a cracking player.. he was playing well at wigan for a few years before everton come in for him.. then after a 6months settling period in everton hes just carried on getting better. Now hes at his peak (or may even imporve more) and will be for a few years.

Gazza74
20-3-11, 02:28
Nothings been said, which is why it does my head in when people link him with us, as if we have a chance of signing an actual bluenose from Everton..

I know, that's my view on it.

Like i said above, Bluenoses i know or ones on the phone ins go on about Rodwell, Arteta, Cahill, Howard all the time and whether they'll be going or staying each transfer window, but i've never heard Baines name mentioned as someone they think could leave.

Don't know why, but i've always felt he'll stay there for his whole career unless they decide to sell him, maybe because he's a scouser and i did think he was a Bluenose to.

REDULATE
20-3-11, 02:32
I know, that's my view on it.

Like i said above, Bluenoses i know or ones on the phone ins go on about Rodwell, Arteta, Cahill, Howard all the time and whether they'll be going or staying each transfer window, but i've never heard Baines name mentioned as someone they think could leave.

Don't know why, but i've always felt he'll stay there for his whole career unless they decide to sell him, maybe because he's a scouser and i did think he was a Bluenose to.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's a blue, if he was to leave them he wouldn't join us, ust like Gerrard simply would never go to Man Utd, just won't happen, although I'd love this thread to be one of those that are bumped in a few months when he is signed to laugh at me, as that would mean we've signed a top, top left back, but I think it is simply out of reach due to us being not only their rivals, but his personally too.

I'm off to bed anyway goodnight. :IN:

Gazza74
20-3-11, 02:35
Baines would be a great addition and that thread above proves how much the lads improved in 2 years. Who's to say he wont keep improving.

Yeh, he has gone up to a whole new level the last 2 years, especially in terms of consistency, it wasn't there the first 2 years at Everton and even Bluenoses weren't sure listening to phone ins here and reading the Echo.

That said, they change their mind weekly listening to them on Kenwright, Moyes, Arteta and other such stuff down the years, especially this season..:D

I will admit i was fooled by Insua, i don't think i said he would be the best in the world, but he did look a real talent when he played for the ressies and then in the appearances for the first team in 08/09.

Sadly, he just went backwards in 09/10 and whatever talent we thought he had was just gone.

Graggster
20-3-11, 02:38
Yeh, he has gone up to a whole new level the last 2 years, especially in terms of consistency, it wasn't there the first 2 years at Everton and even Bluenoses weren't sure listening to phone ins here and reading the Echo.

That said, they change their mind weekly listening to them on Kenwright, Moyes, Arteta and other such stuff down the years, especially this season..:D

I will admit i was fooled by Insua, i don't think i said he would be the best in the world, but he did look a real talent when he played for the ressies and then in the appearances for the first team in 08/09.

Sadly, he just went backwards in 09/10 and whatever talent we thought he had was just gone.

what are you talking about man.. he was 22 when everton signed him:confused:

and he hasnt looked back since 6months into his everton career

Gazza... you have no idea what you are talking about

Jazzy-J
20-3-11, 02:43
I remember the first time I really noticed Baines was when he scored a rocket against Ipswich for Wigan in a midweek game. I then got distracted by drugs and alcohol and didn't think about him again for a couple of years.

Gazza74
20-3-11, 02:50
what are you talking about man.. he was 22 when everton signed him:confused:

and he hasnt looked back since 6months into his everton career

Gazza... you have no idea what you are talking about

To be honest, i'd stopped talking to you and moved on to discussing the same subject with someone who can have a proper conversation.

As for your confusion i fail to see where it is with what i said.

The other poster mentioned the last 2 years and i agreed and said i feel he's been more consistent in that time than in his first 2 years at Everton, something that Evertonians appear to agree with, or the ones i've heard anyway.

If i'm wrong and he's been great and consistent before the last 2 years, sound, i guess some Evertonians who watch him week in week out are wrong to.

On the maths, he's been there for 4 years at the end of this season, ergo, i felt he's been more consistent the last 2 years compared to the first 2 years, agreeing with the other poster.

Hope that ends your confusion, though i doubt it.

Graggster
20-3-11, 02:55
To be honest, i'd stopped talking to you and moved on to discussing the same subject with someone who can have a proper conversation.

As for your confusion i fail to see where it is with what i said.

The other poster mentioned the last 2 years and i agreed and said i feel he's been more consistent in that time than in his first 2 years at Everton, something that Evertonians appear to agree with, or the ones i've heard anyway.

If i'm wrong and he's been great before the last 2 years, sound, i guess some Evertonians who watch him week in week out are wrong to.

On the maths, he's been there for 4 years at the end of this season, ergo, i felt he's been more consistent the last 2 years compared to the first 2 years, agreeing with the other poster.

Hope that ends your confusion, though i doubt it.

gazza hes been great for the past 3 seasons after a season of settling in, which is to be expected for a young player and he was fairly consistent as a very young player for wigan in the prem...

you just make it as you go along to cover your back

Gazza74
20-3-11, 02:57
gazza hes been great for the past 3 seasons after a season of settling in.,. which is to be expected for a young player and he was fairly consistent as a very young player for wigan in the prem...

you just make it as you go along to cover your back

I was agreeing with a poster above who said about how much Baines had improved in the 2 years since the thread you highlighted was made.

Sorry, not making anything up, another poster said it, i agreed.

Stop confusing your opinion with fact again.

Graggster
20-3-11, 03:01
I was agreeing with a poster above who said about how much Baines had improved in the 2 years since the thread you highlighted was made.

Sorry, not making anything up, another poster said it, i agreed.

Stop confusing your opinion with fact again.

you said the exact same thing to me on post 163:confused:

get a grip

Gazza74
20-3-11, 03:12
you said the exact same thing to me on post 163:confused:

get a grip

I know, because that's my opinion on Baines.

But you quoted my post responding to another poster, who was also saying that very thing, i.e. Baines has improved a lot in the last 2 years, hence the point.

I wasn't even debating with you anymore.

Graggster
20-3-11, 03:14
I know, because that's my opinion on Baines.

But you quoted my post responding to another poster, who was also saying that very thing, i.e. Baines has improved a lot in the last 2 years, hence the point.

I wasn't even debating with you anymore.

the point is gazza hes improving with age and now arrived at the age where the average player peaks but hes been building up to that level for the past 6/7 seasons.. its normal but he was good young lb to start with thats why moyes paid 5mil and it was an excellent buy fullstop.

Gazza74
20-3-11, 03:24
the point is gazza hes improving with age and now arrived at the age where the average player peaks but hes been building up to that level for the past 6/7 seasons.. its normal but he was good young lb to start with thats why moyes paid 5mil and it was an excellent buy fullstop.

Sound, that's your personnal opinion of the player and his career, no issues with that from me.

Still not sure what it matters anyway to whether Baines will come here or not from Everton, which was the original point i made.

Opinion on him as a player makes no difference, 2 years ago, or now.

He's definately good enough to come here now, no one would argue, but due to playing for Everton and being a scouser, the chances of us getting him seem very slim for many obvious reasons.

No doubts the club should try if Kenny wants him and i hope we are successful if we do, he's an excellent and very consistent left back now for sure, one of the best in the country.

hsf
20-3-11, 04:26

In all honesty, I think if we offered around 12m, I think Everton would buckle and hand him over. They're in a lot of trouble at the minute for money and they're very vulnerable in the transfer window. Personally, I can see a lot of players leaving Everton, including Cahill, Arteta, Felliani(spelling?) and Baines. I don't think they'll go for a lot of money either. I think Cahill or Arteta will go for around 15m each and they'll be the most expensive.

Graggster
20-3-11, 04:32
In all honesty, I think if we offered around 12m, I think Everton would buckle and hand him over. They're in a lot of trouble at the minute for money and they're very vulnerable in the transfer window. Personally, I can see a lot of players leaving Everton, including Cahill, Arteta, Felliani(spelling?) and Baines. I don't think they'll go for a lot of money either. I think Cahill or Arteta will go for around 15m each and they'll be the most expensive.

They defo need to sell again before they buy yet i think moyes can only take so much and may even want out himself..

they are very vunerable right now and players will be sold.. we need a LB, everton need money. Its not rocket science.

Gazza74
20-3-11, 04:39
In all honesty, I think if we offered around 12m, I think Everton would buckle and hand him over.

Yes, if they did that, Baines himself would probably then not have much problem as the Bluenoses would see it was the club selling rather than him demanding a move. It would smooth things for him for sure.

In fact, it would be funny as hell seeing the aftermath with the bluenoses towards Kenwright if all that selling did happen, they're already wanting him out as it is....:D

I do think Everton having to sell and not caring who to is the only way we could get him though unless Baines doesn't give a toss about the reaction to him in the city from Bluenoses.

Dave00
20-3-11, 04:46
With a nod to Jannno, Gazza i find the best way to debate with Graggy is to use this http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Graggster
20-3-11, 04:46
With a nod to Jannno, Gazza i find the best way to debate with Graggy is to use this http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/profile.php?do=ignorelist

thank god

Dave00
20-3-11, 04:48
Sorry did somebody say something there.:D

Graggster
20-3-11, 04:50
somebody is drunk again and causing trouble as usual

BainneUr
20-3-11, 04:52
somebody is drunk again and causing trouble as usual

Dave00
20-3-11, 04:54

Kindly stop quoting this guy he really has not got the first clue about how the game of football works.:D

Graggster
20-3-11, 04:57
mods whats the point of putting me on ignore yet then come back and have a go at me

hes obviously wumming:)

BainneUr
20-3-11, 04:59
Kindly stop quoting this guy he really has not got the first clue about how the game of football works.:D

Couldn't help myself, was a funny comment though. I suppose that ignore thing doesn't really work.

Dave00
20-3-11, 05:05
Couldn't help myself, was a funny comment though. I suppose that ignore thing doesn't really work.

Ha ha it works until folks quote the eejits, but having said that it still works as i know Graggy has been wasting his time directing posts to me but they don't have the same effect when i know i don't have to answer them directly.

That is the point is was trying to make to Gazza it is a total waste of time trying to debate with Graggy and his ilk therefore this http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/profile.php?do=ignorelist is the best option available at the minute.

Graggster
20-3-11, 05:08
Ha ha it works until folks quote the eejits, but having said that it still works as i know Graggy has been wasting his time directing posts to me but they don't have the same effect when i know i don't have to answer them directly.

That is the point is was trying to make to Gazza it is a total waste of time trying to debate with Graggy and his ilk therefore this http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/profile.php?do=ignorelist is the best option available at the minute.

mods hes wumming..

hes ignored me for a couple of weeks now and its very nice but i knew he couldnt resist himself as he starts trouble all the time

you need to sort him out, he gets away with it over and over again

BainneUr
20-3-11, 05:08

Point taken:):)

Dave00
20-3-11, 05:09

Jannno how did i deserve an infraction for that, look at Graggy's posting history it will tell you he has no idea how the game works? His knowledge and thoughts on the game are almost child like, i apologise if there is a reason for that.

Graggster
20-3-11, 05:09
Jannno how did i deserve an infraction for that, look at Graggy's posting history it will tell you he has no idea how the game works? His knowledge and thoughts on the game are almost child like, i apologise if there is a reason for that.

still wumming

BainneUr
20-3-11, 05:10
I'm itchin to quote him again Dave:FP::p

Jannno
20-3-11, 05:12

Dave me old China, if a poster has no idea about the game it's not an offence and it's a matter of opinion, not fact anyway.

But, constantly putting someone down for their posting when they've done nothing to provoke you, and you've been asked to stop, is.....

so do stop, only more infractions to follow

Dave00
20-3-11, 05:14
I'm itchin to quote him again Dave:FP::p

Ha ha i bet you are but please don't.:D

Now back on topic was this the left back thread, if it was just go for Coentrao please FSG give Kenny the best.:scarf

hsf
20-3-11, 05:14
Yes, if they did that, Baines himself would probably then not have much problem as the Bluenoses would see it was the club selling rather than him demanding a move. It would smooth things for him for sure.

In fact, it would be funny as hell seeing the aftermath with the bluenoses towards Kenwright if all that selling did happen, they're already wanting him out as it is....:D

I do think Everton having to sell and not caring who to is the only way we could get him though unless Baines doesn't give a toss about the reaction to him in the city from Bluenoses.

Why would he give a toss? He'd be leaving a small club and joining a big club + pay rise + better fans + European football in 2 years + medals and honours + boosting his England chances + playing for the best club in the world.

Why would he even remotely think about giving a toss? :p

Dave00
20-3-11, 05:15
Dave me old China, if a poster has no idea about the game it's not an offence and it's a matter of opinion, not fact anyway.

But, constantly putting someone down for their posting when they've done nothing to provoke you, and you've been asked to stop, is.....

so do stop, only more infractions to follow

Ok i'm off to bed goodnight/morning.:p

BainneUr
20-3-11, 05:20
Ha ha i bet you are but please don't.:D

Now back on topic was this the left back thread, if it was just go for Coentrao please FSG give Kenny the best.:scarf

Sorry lad, only messin.
Don't know about Coentrao if it means partin with a hoarde of cash to buy him at the risk of minimising your budget to strengthen other key areas.
Would it be a better idea to spend the money on a winger and acquire someone like Enrique for example?

ElFirnimino
20-3-11, 05:52
Firstly credit and green (not that he needs it anyway) to the OP for a comprehensive list, beats the usual ConCon-Lite deluge of drivel that we get.

My first option for the LB role would be Baines. IMO he's the best offensive fullback in the country and is familiar with the league hence no growing pains. Ansaldi is also a very good player. Like has already been said he has the ability to take on a man quite easliy and is quite solid defensively. Coentrao I'm worried about because of the price, settling in period and defensive shortcomings. The lad from Dortmund I haven't watched enough to form an opinion on.

Also, it needs repeating that we don't only need one leftback but two in the summer. My first option for the reserve role would be Stevie Warnock. There was word he was coming this past transfer window and he's fallen out with Ged so he'd be an excellent back up. Past that I'd bring Insua back, I think people were too harsh on him and I still think he has the potential to be a decent player.

Finally, Dave and Graggy, grow up both of you and don't ruin what was until your infantile back and forth a good thread. :)

ElFirnimino
20-3-11, 05:53
I'm the same, i just feel it's different in this case, Baines is a scouser and knows the score in this city, changing between the 2 clubs in this day and age would not be pretty for him.

I mean, sure, i hope Baines tells Everton to do one and comes here, i just don't see it.

I honestly believe you're putting too much credence into this he loves the bitters so won't come here schtick. He has to say these things as long as he's at the club, most footballers are at their core heartless mercenaries. He'll come here if we pay him more and he gets a chance to win things which he won't with Everton.

Graggster
20-3-11, 05:58
Firstly credit and green (not that he needs it anyway) to the OP for a comprehensive list, beats the usual ConCon-Lite deluge of drivel that we get.

My first option for the LB role would be Baines. IMO he's the best offensive fullback in the country and is familiar with the league hence no growing pains. Ansaldi is also a very good player. Like has already been said he has the ability to take on a man quite easliy and is quite solid defensively. Coentrao I'm worried about because of the price, settling in period and defensive shortcomings. The lad from Dortmund I haven't watched enough to form an opinion on.

Also, it needs repeating that we don't only need one leftback but two in the summer. My first option for the reserve role would be Stevie Warnock. There was word he was coming this past transfer window and he's fallen out with Ged so he'd be an excellent back up. Past that I'd bring Insua back, I think people were too harsh on him and I still think he has the potential to be a decent player.

Finally, Dave and Graggy, grow up both of you and don't ruin what was until your infantile back and forth a good thread. :)

I was debating happly before he had a go at me:)

FIOS
20-3-11, 09:41
I was debating happly before he had a go at me:)

I don't know how he is allowed to get away with it.

It seems like a daily occurance.

I was happily reading the thread until it descended into Daves usual madness.

markusB
20-3-11, 10:09
I like the effort you have put into this post.

To be honest I suspect Kenny will find somebody that plays in England. I know Enrique has been mentioned, and that may be a good idea. This signing will be our first choice left back, so it would need to be someone that will enhance our defence and very good going forward. Initially in he premier league, then in Europe.

I'm looking forward to see whom we finally bring in.

I suspect it will be none of the above.

ls14
20-3-11, 10:21
push for coentrao :scarf

RedBaros
20-3-11, 10:35
Few people have said we need two LBs and I agree. We just can't rely on Fabio which is a shame because he's a great player.
What about signing Coentrao mostly for LW with Ansaldi at LB? We'll have sold Insua, Konchesky and Fabio, so need both.
Marveaux as LW cover.

Paullfc1976
20-3-11, 10:40
Excellent stuff Fowi :)

Can you maybe do a thread for possible wingers, and I mean you, and you alone, none of these dorks that think they know football by playing FM or CM :p

Mapeke
20-3-11, 10:41
I think we need to sign two left backs tbh.

Paullfc1976
20-3-11, 10:42

Why stop at 2? Why not 3?

Mapeke
20-3-11, 10:46
Why stop at 2? Why not 3?
That's just silly, Paul!

Seriously, I think we need two. Aurelio can't be relied upon, Konchesky and Insua aren't good enough, Johnson and Kelly should compete at right back, and Wilson should get his chances in the middle.

Paullfc1976
20-3-11, 10:49
That's just silly, Paul!

Seriously, I think we need two. Aurelio can't be relied upon, Konchesky and Insua aren't good enough, Johnson and Kelly should compete at right back, and Wilson should get his chances in the middle.

Kelly should also get chances in the middle.

I agree; two LB would be an idea, one young one, the the other to be a more established one, like the ones on Fowi's list.

MagooBoo
20-3-11, 10:55
We have also been linked with Izzaguire from Celtic. Good list Fowi. Would like one of the following myself:

1. Schmelzer
2. Coentrao
3. Baines (isn't he a boyhood Evertonian??)
4. Enrique

ElFirnimino
20-3-11, 11:01

No doubt whatsoever.

Back to the OP, I honestly don't get the hype with Enrique. To me he seems to be an average player nothing special. I'd be disappointed if he were to end up here. I accept that some people rate but I just don't see it.

ElFirnimino
20-3-11, 11:04

:FP:, is all.

Mapeke
20-3-11, 11:05
No doubt whatsoever.

Back to the OP, I honestly don't get the hype with Enrique. To me he seems to be an average player nothing special. I'd be disappointed if he were to end up here. I accept that some people rate but I just don't see it.
I agree regarding Enrique. He's solid defensively and is a tidy player, but we need someone more dynamic I feel. I'd take him as back-up but nothing more. We need to aim higher if we want to push on.

Fowi
20-3-11, 11:48

Absolutely agree. Two on my list are available on a free, Taiwo and Wendt. I'd sign one of them as back up and then look for another left back. But I totally agree with you, we need two left backs unless we bring back Insua. Enough of this Aurelio crap.

wish0r
20-3-11, 11:52
Don't know if this has already been brought up (too lazy to check all the posts) but what about Aly Cissokho? Left Back, quality and very young. Would fit into our squad perfectly imo. Altough not the cheapest option I reckon..

Mapeke
20-3-11, 11:54
Taiwo on a free and Coentrao would be great business. Not sure we'll be able to afford Coentrao though.

XabiLove
20-3-11, 11:59
Rumours are that Taiwo has signed a pre-contract at Benfica.. could mean Coentrao is on his way out?

Fowi
20-3-11, 12:02
Rumours are that Taiwo has signed a pre-contract at Benfica.. could mean Coentrao is on his way out?

He's probably on his way out anyway.

XabiLove
20-3-11, 12:06
If he wanted to leave Benfica.. Taiwo on a free isn't bad business. They'll make good money on Coentrao. Think we should push the boat out and pay what is needed to get him.

REDULATE
20-3-11, 12:22
Taiwo on a free and Coentrao would be great business. Not sure we'll be able to afford Coentrao though.

John Henry said he wants to win the title in the next 3 years, so I think these type of players will not slip under the radar, I expect to see us at least try to sign him, definitely

marty-b
20-3-11, 12:23
In dream land, Coentrao! In reality, Enrique would be my choice.

Fowi
20-3-11, 12:24
I see people went crazy in here last night. :D

Holmesy83
20-3-11, 12:27
i havent read all the posts but has anyone mentioned Miguel Torres? he plays for getafe and i think he has done well for them, he was at Real a few seasons ago and was really good, then they bought marcelo and moved him on, which i was shocked at as i thought him and marcelo would be great rotating them both he is only 25 and a very decent option IMO

Fowi
20-3-11, 12:29
i havent read all the posts but has anyone mentioned Miguel Torres? he plays for getafe and i think he has done well for them, he was at Real a few seasons ago and was really good, then they bought marcelo and moved him on, which i was shocked at as i thought him and marcelo would be great rotating them both he is only 25 and a very decent option IMO

Miguel is decent and beautiful (:D), but ultimately I don't think he's good enough for us.

REDULATE
20-3-11, 12:31

Take it you watched the Barca v Getafe game yesterday then in which he was solid? :IN:

People saying Enrique is only tidy defensively, you mad :eek:, he can beat a man quite consistently and whips in a good cross, also rarely injured and is still young, definitely could be a future Spain International, overlooked because he plays for Newcastle.

Holmesy83
Miguel is decent and beautiful (:D), but ultimately I don't think he's good enough for us.

haha, i really dont think he is any worse than Enrique and if we are looking at him we should look at Torres as he would be cheaper imo, coming from getafe instead of newcastle,

being honest tho, seeing us linked today with Baines id love him here, tho i cant see it happening

Eddes
We have also been linked with Izzaguire from Celtic. Good list Fowi. Would like one of the following myself:

1. Schmelzer
2. Coentrao
3. Baines (isn't he a boyhood Evertonian??)
4. Enrique

Baines is actually a boyhood red

Holmesy83
20-3-11, 12:34
Take it you watched the Barca v Getafe game yesterday then in which he was solid? :IN:

People saying Enrique is only tidy defensively, you mad :eek:, he can beat a man quite consistently and whips in a good cross, also rarely injured and is still young, definitely could be a future Spain International, overlooked because he plays for Newcastle.

yes i saw that match and barca can make anyone look silly so i dont see your point, i have watched him since he first played for real madrid,

REDULATE
20-3-11, 12:36
Link (http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/858568-leighton-baines-lined-up-for-shock-everton-to-liverpool-transfer)

The Reds have struggled at left-back all season and have made strengthening the position a top priority for the next transfer window.

Leighton Baines may make the short move to Liverpool
It was thought Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish and director of football strategy Damien Comolli had settled on Newcastle United's Jose Enrique as their preferred choice, but it now seems they will be looking a bit closer to home.
According to the News of the World, their new target is Everton's Leighton Baines. The 26-year-old England international has impressed with his attacking play and set-pieces this term, and has been credited with 11 assists in the Premier League. Dalglish and Comolli are said to believe Baines can plug the gap defensively and also provide the crosses needed to get the best out of 35 million striker Andy Carroll.

Everton would be reluctant to sell one of their best players to their local rivals for fear of a backlash from fans, but the club's financial position means they may have to give serious consideration to a 10 million bid.
With supply for Carroll a key issue for Liverpool, the Sunday Mirror reports they are also lining up a bid for Aston Villa's Ashley Young.
The England winger looks certain to leave Villa Park in the summer after refusing to enter into negotiations about a new contract, but Liverpool will face strong competition from Manchester United for his signature.

Holmesy83
20-3-11, 12:38
Link (http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/858568-leighton-baines-lined-up-for-shock-everton-to-liverpool-transfer)
one thing is for certain i really think exciting times in the summer for liverpool fans :D

Gazza74
20-3-11, 12:41
Why would he give a toss? He'd be leaving a small club and joining a big club + pay rise + better fans + European football in 2 years + medals and honours + boosting his England chances + playing for the best club in the world.

Why would he even remotely think about giving a toss? :p

I honestly believe you're putting too much credence into this he loves the bitters so won't come here schtick. He has to say these things as long as he's at the club, most footballers are at their core heartless mercenaries. He'll come here if we pay him more and he gets a chance to win things which he won't with Everton.

Because he's a scouser who has family here and probably lives in the city, goes to town often, spends most of his spare time within the city.

He isn't some Spaniard or Cockney playing for Everton, lives in Formby, who has no ties here and he could play for both clubs and then get off back to Spain or London and never have to worry about this city again and the fact he played for both and angered the Bluenoses by moving to us.

Baines is from the city, he lives here, he has family here, probably Blues some of them, so the decision for him is very different and it's not so simple as to just move to a better, bigger club. Christ, if he said that upon moving to us, that he'd moved to win things at a bigger club, he'd never be able to set foot in the city again, similar to how hated Rooney is by the bitters now and he went to Man U, not to us.

As i say, it isn't just any old footballer moving between 2 rival city clubs, it's a scouser who lives here, has family here, would have to take a big risk in doing the move given the way things are currently between the 2 clubs and it's fans, the so called "friendly" rivallry is no more amongst a lot of supporters.

He may not care and he'll move and stick 2 fingers up to Evertonians, but if he does, as a scouser, things would become tough. Barmby was hated by Bluenoses, but he was able to get off to Hull and doesn't have to ever return, so it's cool. Baines isn't so lucky, his family and mates are all here.

Look at Rooney, he only joined the Mancs, but he has to come back to Liverpool in an armour plate vehicle and in disguise as the Bluenoses hate him and still do. If he'd come to us, double that and add interest.

I'm just saying it's a huge factor in us getting him and it seems from comments he knows that.

Upto him if he's not bothered or not and if he isn't, sound, good luck to him.

Fowi
20-3-11, 12:43
Gazza is right tbh and all this could affect his game for us if he was to sign. As I said, I'd stay clear of Baines because he's not the only option available to us.

REDULATE
20-3-11, 12:44
one thing is for certain i really think exciting times in the summer for liverpool fans :D

Definitely fella, this is the first summer for years I've actually been looking forward to, hopefully a turning point in what has been a dark time(s) recently.

Graggster
20-3-11, 20:08

People get banned for far less without warnings.. Dave happly goes around taking pops at people day after day if he doesnt agree with them over and over again.

hes had me on ignore for a couple of weeks now, i actually requested him to do it.. and its been pleasant as i havnt had to deal with his nonsense everytime he doesnt agree with me, which usually starts with an insult.

its baffling how he gets away with it...

JENGAFETT
20-3-11, 20:15
i like izegerri if thats how u spell it lol he's good defender and gets forward well he's also a good age and would cost us 10 mill or less

slimman
20-3-11, 20:25
Has Michel Bastos been mentioned?

As a LB not sure he's a good enough defender but could also play Left Wing.

ElFirnimino
20-3-11, 22:20
Because he's a scouser who has family here and probably lives in the city, goes to town often, spends most of his spare time within the city.

He isn't some Spaniard or Cockney playing for Everton, lives in Formby, who has no ties here and he could play for both clubs and then get off back to Spain or London and never have to worry about this city again and the fact he played for both and angered the Bluenoses by moving to us.

Baines is from the city, he lives here, he has family here, probably Blues some of them, so the decision for him is very different and it's not so simple as to just move to a better, bigger club. Christ, if he said that upon moving to us, that he'd moved to win things at a bigger club, he'd never be able to set foot in the city again, similar to how hated Rooney is by the bitters now and he went to Man U, not to us.

As i say, it isn't just any old footballer moving between 2 rival city clubs, it's a scouser who lives here, has family here, would have to take a big risk in doing the move given the way things are currently between the 2 clubs and it's fans, the so called "friendly" rivallry is no more amongst a lot of supporters.

He may not care and he'll move and stick 2 fingers up to Evertonians, but if he does, as a scouser, things would become tough. Barmby was hated by Bluenoses, but he was able to get off to Hull and doesn't have to ever return, so it's cool. Baines isn't so lucky, his family and mates are all here.

Look at Rooney, he only joined the Mancs, but he has to come back to Liverpool in an armour plate vehicle and in disguise as the Bluenoses hate him and still do. If he'd come to us, double that and add interest.

I'm just saying it's a huge factor in us getting him and it seems from comments he knows that.

Upto him if he's not bothered or not and if he isn't, sound, good luck to him.

When you put it like that. :o

To me the fact that he's a scouser is even better, but if he doesn't want to take the risk of coming here then let him rot in the mediocrity that is Neverton. Coentrao it is then......:scarf

Ellibertador
20-3-11, 23:02

:FP:

glen-jo
21-3-11, 05:44
Has Zhirkov been mentioned? Saw him mentioned on the main page, think he could be a steal if we could get him for 10 mil or under. In his prime and ready to reignite his career.

Kloppsbeard
21-3-11, 05:50
Enrique and a left winger, not sure who. Would also take the Russian off Chelski's hands.

Kloppstachio
21-3-11, 07:00
Fowi .... epic OP.

Assuming we have 70-80m to spend this summer and its a team to challenge for #19 that we are building, I would love to see Coentrao (for 22-25m) and Taiwo on a free.

slimman
24-3-11, 12:34
I'm sure our scouts know the score with the Left Back situation and the various available names but could we get this thread in front of them please? :D