PDA

View Full Version : Skrtel

Midophile
12-4-11, 00:34
What do we all think of him?

He's a conundrum to me. On the one hand, he is pacey, powerful, a good tackler and is getting much better at passing the ball.

On the other hand, he is clumsy and his headers go anywhere.

I think if we give him time, he can be one of the best center backs in the league and he fills criteria none of our center backs do. Agger and Skrt would have been a class combo in my humble opinion. Or do we think its easier to get a world class center back in the summer and sell him/bench him?

My opinion on him changes every 1 or 2 matches its very odd.

RogerHuntelaar
12-4-11, 00:35
Not "Skrtel injured" this time? :P

hsf
12-4-11, 00:36
Tonight he was excellent, but so was everyone else.

Steplark
12-4-11, 00:37
I rate him as he has everything you want in a defender , he is solid aswell and its relatively young so has alot of time on his side.

He can be clumsy but players like Vidic and Luiz are also prone to moments of madness so have to take the good with the bad :)

Midophile
12-4-11, 00:37
Not "Skrtel injured" this time? :P

Nah i'm done with that i just had to do it. :D

Opinion on Martin at all?

Oakryrch
12-4-11, 00:41
I think when he's good, he's very good but when he's bad, he's absolutely atrocious.

He seems to play well when the team is playing well, although saying that, he seems to have manned up a little in the last few games and has started to look like a really good defender.

I think we can do better than him and if we could, I would sell though I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and give him till the end of the season just to see how he does.

Steplark
12-4-11, 00:45
I think when he's good, he's very good but when he's bad, he's absolutely atrocious.

He seems to play well when the team is playing well, although saying that, he seems to have manned up a little in the last few games and has started to look like a really good defender.

I think we can do better than him and if we could, I would sell though I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and give him till the end of the season just to see how he does.

I agree that there are better defenders out there, but Skrtel would be the last of our CBs I would want out apart from Carra but he wont go anywhere :). If we were to sell CBs Soto and Agger would be before Skrtel in the line for me , Skrtel is better than Soto on the whole and Agger has his injury issues.

Jazzy-J
12-4-11, 00:46
His form under Kenny has been much better than it was under Roy, with the exception of the mistake he made against West Ham. We do need to sign a commanding centre half, and I imagine Skrtel will be a squad player rather than a regular next season. Not a bad squad player to have though.

Edit - he looks to have improved aerially in recent months too.

RogerHuntelaar
12-4-11, 00:48
His form under Kenny has been much better than it was under Roy, with the exception of the mistake he made against West Ham. We do need to sign a commanding centre half, and I imagine Skrtel will be a squad player rather than a regular next season. Not a bad squad player to have though.

Edit - he looks to have improved aerially in recent months too.

Yep, this pretty much sums it up.

5--Doc--5
12-4-11, 00:49
he is a solid defender, has all the qualities but he'll never be as dominant as vidic, chiellini, pique... but i never thought of him as a liability, had some awful performances but most of them were when the whole team was playing s***. he should stay and form a partnership with new cb that will arrive in summer :scarf

Midophile
12-4-11, 00:50
Yep, this pretty much sums it up.

Agree. Are there any old heads on young soldiers that will be available though? Chiellini maybe?

bigpepespunch
12-4-11, 00:51
Agree. Are there any old heads on young soldiers that will be available though? Chiellini maybe?

Gary Cahill it will be mate.

Midophile
12-4-11, 00:54
Gary Cahill it will be mate.

Possibly. Does seem like he'd fit the bill.

Jonny-Blaze
12-4-11, 01:07
For me he is a very CB in all areas except for one, arielly, and in the premiership that will cost you. He is deceptively good with the ball, good touch pace and technique, but you still need CB who are dominant in the air (a la Hypia) in the prem or you will conceed more than you should.

For that reason I would try and upgrade Skrtle and for me it is maybe the one position I would try and buy an older player as we have 3 or 4 CB coming through that I genuinely excited about - I've always been a massive fan of Lucio, just look what a 'past it' Canavaro has done at Napoli. Having said that Cahil is that good I'd be made up if we signed him

lucaslisking
12-4-11, 02:33
For me he is a very CB in all areas except for one, arielly, and in the premiership that will cost you. He is deceptively good with the ball, good touch pace and technique, but you still need CB who are dominant in the air (a la Hypia) in the prem or you will conceed more than you should.

For that reason I would try and upgrade Skrtle and for me it is maybe the one position I would try and buy an older player as we have 3 or 4 CB coming through that I genuinely excited about - I've always been a massive fan of Lucio, just look what a 'past it' Canavaro has done at Napoli. Having said that Cahil is that good I'd be made up if we signed him

ughhhhhhh thats fabio's younger brother at napoli. fabio plays for al-ahli.

ElFirnimino
12-4-11, 02:53
He started off the season superbly and was probably our best player. Went into our slump as the nightmare with Roy escalated but under Kenny he seems to be back to his form from the start of the season. I'm a firm believer in Skrtel and think in a confident, winning team he's a great asset.

ElFirnimino
12-4-11, 02:54

:D:D

They don't even look alike. :clap:

Goalrush09
12-4-11, 03:31
Good topic to discuss.

He definitely has assets...pace, toughness, passing of ball.

But also has negatives....concentration..heading...rashness of tackling.

Overall with more concentration and better positional sense he can be a great CB.

He's been both great and horrible in his career with us but overall he's been a good buy.

I'm not sure that he should be an automatic starter but when you look at the CB's that the other top sides pick in their teams I think overall he's just as good if not better.

Scum....Vidic/Evans/Jar Jar/Brown/Smalling.

Chelsea....Terry/Alex/Luiz/Ivanovic

Arsenal.....Koscieny/Squillaci/Djourou/Vermalaen

Spurs....Dawson/Woodgate/Kaboul/Gallas/King

How many of these would you pick above Skrtel?

For me only Vidic/Luiz (from what I've seen so far)/Ivanovic(barely) and maybe Gallas.

And maybe somebody knows this stat but after Luiz isn't Skrtel the youngest defender?

He's still a valuable member of our squad and with more consistency could cement a place for a long time to come.

SoundoftheLark
12-4-11, 09:17
I think he has improved under Clarke's coaching, I hope to see further progression. I want to see him consistently head the ball better.

Lomes
12-4-11, 09:21
I still don't think he's intelligent enough.

Every one of them played well last night and so that helps. When one part of the machine isn't working it affects the next. Too many times this season either JC or Agger have had to do the job of two people due to Skrtel being in effective.

He'll be part of the next great squad though and win the league with us...:scarf

lauriantero
12-4-11, 09:32
I think he's a decent defender, but needs to work on his consistency. In some games he's just immense, but sometimes he makes silly mistakes.

Overall, I'm ok with him, but I think we need to sign another centre back who would is beter then what we now have. I would still keep hold of Skrtel, though, but Agger should probably be sold, as he's just too prone to injuries.

One thing Skrtel needs to work on is heading the ball. He doesn't attack the ball strong enough.

JohnnyBarnes79
12-4-11, 09:34
He has the attributes to be a top-class defender and has performed excellently against the big sides (like our squad).

Has been bullied too often this season by the likes of Carroll (;)), Jones, Cole & Nile Ranger(??????????).

Needs to be more consistent but he impressed me last night.

Looked confident, assured, aggressive & good on the ball.

SuperSpeedy
12-4-11, 09:38
Since Kenny got here he's being doing really well. Don't really have any problems with him starting or being here next season.

jonsonos
12-4-11, 09:45
Loved him when we signed him, thought he had all the attributes to be a quality centre half, started loosing faith he would become that player after a clouple of seasons, very weak in the air and became a bit of a tart on the pitch, starting to look like a different player again now although still very questionable in the air, its been a roller coaster with me and Martin but i have no doubt he will be here next season and i think he deserves to be given another year to see if he can keep building on the last few months.

seanyirl
12-4-11, 10:59
he won a lot in the air last night , i think its just his rashness in the tackle , he rushes in , he should stay on his feet more and not do that , though have seen him stay on his feet more since Clarke has arrived , he has everything to be one of the best , hes tall , fast and aggressive , just some tweaking from Clarke hopefully !
him and cahill would be a nice partnership.

LordJamieOfCarragher
12-4-11, 11:01
Has progressed a lot recently. It doesn't help having different defensive partners week in week out.

-SP7-
12-4-11, 11:04
He has progressed a lot since Kenny has come in. Before Kenny and at the start of Kenny's reign I really wanted Skrtel dropped...but he has been very solid recently.

TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel
12-4-11, 12:14
He started off the season superbly and was probably our best player. Went into our slump as the nightmare with Roy escalated but under Kenny he seems to be back to his form from the start of the season. I'm a firm believer in Skrtel and think in a confident, winning team he's a great asset.

His only problem is when he is one and one with a forward, too many times, he tries to take the man out instead of the ball.

It's a bad habit and he has done it loads of time this season especially.

If he can get out of the habit of that, he could be very very good.

Last night was his best game without being paired with Agger.

If he keeps on improving and gets that consistently needed by a world class defender, then why I see no reason, in 2 or 3 years time, why he cannot be called one of the top 10 centre half's in the world.

TheSoundLady
6-1-13, 19:57
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A_4tioZCIAAweAL.jpg

BRISY
6-1-13, 20:54
Martin Skrtel is so hard, that he walked into Burger King and asked for a Big Mac;)

Loved seeing that flag

TheSoundLady
6-1-13, 21:07
Martin Skrtel is so hard, that he walked into Burger King and asked for a Big Mac;)

Loved seeing that flag

Yessssssssssssss