PDA

View Full Version : Greame Souness - Ultimate LFC Captain

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 00:57
Time for a Souness appreciation thread I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trDP0RZSX9E

In my view our greatest ever midfielder and the hardest player I have ever seen live.

Could shoot, pass, tackle, attack, defend... the lot.

Protected his team-mates with an iron will and a physical presence that was awe inspiring... Nobody got the better of him.

Led us through the most successful period in our history and had the class to demand Bob Paisley rise the steps of Wembley ahead of him in his final game in 1983 and lift the Cup.

Hail Souness... our prodigal son.

Spearmint16
29-4-11, 00:58
But he was a crap manager :mad:

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 00:59

You're a crap Liverpool fan.

Mike-91
29-4-11, 01:00
Gerrard > Souness:P

Midophile
29-4-11, 01:01
This, just this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkITfLFe4jo)

I think we should have a thread for every legend though.

AlexPenn83
29-4-11, 01:03
Souness was an absolute disaster as a manager but an absolutely fantastic player.

Can see why you're heated up about it mate but it's very VERY hard to try and praise Souness as a manager. Don't forget what Carra said (tongue in cheek of course):

"I'll tell you what I would say to him. I'd say he never knocked Liverpool off their ******* perch. That's nonsense that. Graeme Souness did that. United were competing with Norwich and Aston Villa for their first title. They weren't competing with Liverpool, were they?"

Good post though, as many people are quick to forget what a top player he was!

Spearmint16
29-4-11, 01:04
You're a crap Liverpool fan.

:D

Midophile
29-4-11, 01:04

:FP:

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 01:05
I'm a bit disgusted that people come on here to have a go instead of appreciating the great man.

Actually, I'm more disappointed at the lack of knowledge.

Anyway, carry on.

p.s. I know you're only joking Mike.

-SilkySkills-
29-4-11, 01:06
i don't think anyone can make a thread anymore without somebody looking to add a cocky comment :D

ONDEFENCE
29-4-11, 01:08
NO... to the question, many others past and present are streets ahead imo

Captain Mauser
Souness was an absolute disaster as a manager but an absolutely fantastic player.

Can see why you're heated up about it mate but it's very VERY hard to try and praise Souness as a manager. Don't forget what Carra said (tongue in cheek of course):

"I'll tell you what I would say to him. I'd say he never knocked Liverpool off their ******* perch. That's nonsense that. Graeme Souness did that. United were competing with Norwich and Aston Villa for their first title. They weren't competing with Liverpool, were they?"

Good post though, as many people are quick to forget what a top player he was!

Whilst Carragher wouldn't be stupid enough to have a go at Souness the player, bearing in mind he's nowhere near him, I think he should have a go at the managers job before being so directly critical.

It's all so easy to blame the whole thing on Souness without actually reading his version... he knows he made mistakes, but he was severely let down by senior pros.

Anyway, can we stick to praise now please?

:scarf

ONDEFENCE
i don't think anyone can make a thread anymore without somebody looking to add a cocky comment :D

True so very true :(

Skip Bayless
29-4-11, 01:09
He'd be lost in the modern game. Permanently suspended.

Without the ability to go out and try to maim opposition players he'd be exposed.

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 01:09

What question... there is no question?

Spearmint16
29-4-11, 01:10

Name them

Captain Mauser

Without the ability to go out and try to maim opposition players he'd be exposed.

Christ you talk some crap :D

Midophile

Ferreroid
29-4-11, 01:11

so you think he'd be incapable of modifying his syle to suit the modern game?

I doubt it. Souness was class, and he'd be class today

Skip Bayless
Christ you talk some crap :D

ONDEFENCE
What question... there is no question?

so the thread title is not a question then just your view ?

RogerHuntelaar
29-4-11, 01:12
Souness :scarf

Have never seen him play live obviously, but the way Kenny spoke about him in his book he was one the best ever.

AlexPenn83
I'm a bit disgusted that people come on here to have a go instead of appreciating the great man.

Anyway, carry on.

You've slated someone as being a bad fan for saying Souness wasn't a good manager. Lack of knowledge about what? Noone is saying anything about his qualities as a player, far from it. As a manager he was a disaster, unless you can prove otherwise.

Midophile

If it was a question it would have a ?.

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 01:13

Mine, Kenny's, Jocky's and Bob Paisley's.

ONDEFENCE
29-4-11, 01:13
Name them

Crazy horse and stevie G to name one past and present

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 01:15
You've slated someone as being a bad fan for saying Souness wasn't a good manager. Lack of knowledge about what? Noone is saying anything about his qualities as a player, far from it. As a manager he was a disaster, unless you can prove otherwise.

I think coming onto a thread clearly aimed at his playing career to moan about his stint as manager is just ******* childish... pretty sick of people having digs at the bloke to be quite honest... I actually have zero respect for anyone who doesn't recognise what a fine player he was.

Midophile
29-4-11, 01:16
Mine, Kenny's, Jocky's and Bob Paisley's.

They all said all that? Obviously Kenny wouldnt say he's the best player to play for us but he is.

Midophile
29-4-11, 01:17
I think coming onto a thread clearly aimed at his playing career to moan about his stint as manager is just ******* childish... pretty sick of people having digs at the bloke to be quite honest... I actually have zero respect for anyone who doesn't recognise what a fine player he was.

Tbf Paulo, having a dig at his management is in no way a pop at his playing abilities.

Captain Mauser

Emlyn absolutely a challenger...

I won't even bother to get into it about Gerrard.

Simonnnnn
Wish i was around back then to witness him play, how good he was. :scarf

Captain Mauser
They all said all that? Obviously Kenny wouldnt say he's the best player to play for us but he is.

Captain dude ;)

Jazzy-J
29-4-11, 01:18
Big old thighs. Like Mark Hughes.

Gorgeous body, looks great in white pants.

AlexPenn83
29-4-11, 01:18

Copy and paste where I slated him as a player then.

Also, Liverpool fans are not going to ignore anything about any player. If he was a great player and bad manager, that's who the man is. You are disrespecting him if you are trying to fantasize he is someone he isn't. Remember him for who he is: An amazing player who had a terrible run as a manager.

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 01:19
Tbf Paulo, having a dig at his management is in no way a pop at his playing abilities.

I know... I was actually testing the water to see if people could comment without having a pop though... hence my disappointment.

I guess this is what it's like when I turn up on one of the 2000 threads about Gerrard.

I'll keep an eye on that from now on.

Midophile
29-4-11, 01:21
I know... I was actually testing the water to see if people could comment without having a pop though... hence my disappointment.

I guess this is what it's like when I turn up on one of the 2000 threads about Gerrard.

I'll keep an eye on that from now on.

I dont know what your beef with Gerrard is but whether you like it or not i think he has earned his place in Liverpool's Valhalla along with the likes of Souness etc etc.

ScouseSoxNation
29-4-11, 01:21
[QUOTE=PauloMossy;5439454]Time for a Souness appreciation thread I think:

In my view our greatest ever midfielder and the hardest player I have ever seen live.

Protected his team-mates with an iron will and a physical presence that was awe inspiring... Nobody got the better of him.

Led us through the most successful period in our history and had the class to demand Bob Paisley rise the steps of Wembley ahead of him in his final game in 1983 and lift the Cup.

No question he was the best

Spearmint16
29-4-11, 01:22

I was taking the **** with my comment mate, just showing you what people were going to say, if you know what I mean.

I agree 100% with the OP fantastic captain for us, one of the best if not the best.

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 01:22
Copy and paste where I slated him as a player then.

Also, Liverpool fans are not going to ignore anything about any player. If he was a great player and bad manager, that's who the man is. You are disrespecting him if you are trying to fantasize he is someone he isn't. Remember him for who he is: An amazing player who had a terrible run as a manager.

I'm not falling out with you mate... I just think the stuff he did as a player should completely dominate anything he did as a manager and hearing Carragher having a go like that gets to me.

-CADS-
29-4-11, 01:23

Not only was he a crap manager but he's currently a crap pundit aswell. :rolleyes: :IN: :D :fishing

Nah seriously he was, by all accounts that I've heard of him, pivotal in our most successful ever period. 1978 (year of our 2nd EC) to 1984 (year of our 4th EC).

Simonnnnn
29-4-11, 01:24
I'm not falling out with you mate... I just think the stuff he did as a player should completely dominate anything he did as a manager and hearing Carragher having a go like that gets to me.

Makes you think, if Carragher takes the reigns and fails will people just come down on him and forget how vital he has been as a player and completely disregard him. Some people have such short memories..

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 01:24
I was taking the **** with my comment mate, just showing you what people were going to say, if you know what I mean.

I agree 100% with the OP fantastic captain for us, one of the best if not the best.

I'm not falling out with you either then!!!!! :D

Christ I get touchy about Souey.... And I have no beef with Gerrard!!!!!!!!!

Right... back to Souness the collossus.

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 01:25
Makes you think, if Carragher takes the reigns and fails will people just come down on him and forget how vital he has been as a player and completely disregard him. Some people have such short memories..

You said it better than I could... cheers.

Midophile
29-4-11, 01:25

The irony is, Souness would probably be the first to put his hand up and say his tenure put a blemish on him for a while. Seems like that kind of no nonsense bloke. But anyway, enough manager talk lets bask in his glory.

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 01:27
The irony is, Souness would probably be the first to put his hand up and say his tenure put a blemish on him for a while. Seems like that kind of no nonsense bloke.

He did here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLZ-izJAzAU

As well as apologising for his mistake with the S*n

-Chris-
Never seen him play. Just videos. :(

AlexPenn83

It's all good mate, just making my point also :)

In all fairness, Carra was half kidding in the interview and was poking fun at our past 20 years but I agree that people shouldn't be slating Souness as he is a former Red and his contribution was immense on the pitch. As a player he was the best in the world at one point and had more fight in him than a bulldog stung on the ********.

I think most Liverpool fans understand what a player he was and that I don't think we should worry about his legacy. We don't always know what goes on behind the doors at the club but as fans I agree that we should be behind him no matter what. Hot topic but I do understand why you're ********** about people slating him after the blood and sweat he put into the club.

Midophile
29-4-11, 01:28
He did here:

Oh aye i saw that a few weeks ago. Good bloke. If you think about it, empires crumble and we were going to fall, he just took the hit.

Chris Kamara in a pink shirt. :D

Mike-91
29-4-11, 01:29
One thing I will say, he should be up in seats with the rest of the legends at Anfield.

Real shame he isn't.

Simonnnnn
29-4-11, 01:29
He did here:

Such a decent fellow and has class as well. Takes some balls to apologize like that on national television.

Edit: You can see how much the club means to him.

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 01:31
One thing I will say, he should be up in seats with the rest of the legends at Anfield.

Real shame he isn't.

Fair play mate... I hope it can happen soon.

We're Liverpool and we should forgive one of our very own and welcome him back.

Midophile
29-4-11, 01:31
Watching that again, reaffirms my point, trying to introduce us to the modern game before anyone else and took the hit. Gutting. Why isn't allowed at Anfield with the other legends??

AlexPenn83
29-4-11, 01:34
Watching that again, reaffirms my point, trying to introduce us to the modern game before anyone else and took the hit. Gutting. Why isn't allowed at Anfield with the other legends??

Isn't he though? I always thought it was because generally he is working as a pundit / commentator on match days on TV or radio. Never knew he wasn't allowed at Anfield with Rush and co.

Midophile
29-4-11, 01:36
Isn't he though? I always thought it was because generally he is working as a pundit / commentator on match days on TV or radio. Never knew he wasn't allowed at Anfield with Rush and co.

Thats what i immediately thought when it was mentioned that he isnt there. He should go then.

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 01:38
I think it's more he's embarrassed and is not expecting to be asked to be fair.

It genuinely saddens me that interview on Goals on Sunday.

Simonnnnn
29-4-11, 01:43
I think it's more he's embarrassed and is not expecting to be asked to be fair.

It genuinely saddens me that interview on Goals on Sunday.

How come? Cause you can see the hurt in his eyes and facial expression etc?

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 01:48
How come? Cause you can see the hurt in his eyes and facial expression etc?

Absolutely... imagine having an affinity with 40 odd thousand people who genuinely love you and I mean LOVE you and then being in a position where you literally no longer feel a part of them anymore and feel like you can't return to what is essentially your home unless it's in a professional capacity.

He looks heartbroken to be quite honest and when I think of the emotion we saw from that absolute diamond of a man Rafa a few weeks ago, it makes me sad that we can't open the door to Souey.

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 01:50
Anyway, Night all.

Here's hoping this thread isn't invaded by numpties and maybe we can get some genuine old boys on the thread to give us some Souey stories from even before I was there to see him.

Simonnnnn
29-4-11, 01:56
Absolutely... imagine having an affinity with 40 odd thousand people who genuinely love you and I mean LOVE you and then being in a position where you literally no longer feel a part of them anymore and feel like you can't return to what is essentially your home unless it's in a professional capacity.

He looks heartbroken to be quite honest and when I think of the emotion we saw from that absolute diamond of a man Rafa a few weeks ago, it makes me sad that we can't open the door to Souey.

Makes me sad that :( Hopefully one day he'll return to watch from the stands, you never know, Kenny may invite him back.

Night, wouldn't count on it though ;)

redhoops
29-4-11, 04:01
brucie rates him above kenny.
one of our greats calling souness the king.
he was a top player was mr souness,when we beat madrid in paris,he was awesome.

RedGedinLA
29-4-11, 04:18
Souness was our best ever midfielder and captain. All those who say he wasn't...simply never saw him play.

Gerrard is a great LFC player but to suggest he is better than Souness is a joke frankly. Souey had the lot and was a great leader.

Hardman? Voted Italy's hardest ever player..but he would have backed down from Tommy Smith.

No Angel
29-4-11, 04:24
Souness was our best ever midfielder and captain. All those who say he wasn't...simply never saw him play.

Gerrard is a great LFC player but to suggest he is better than Souness is a joke frankly. Souey had the lot and was a great leader.

Hardman? Voted Italy's hardest ever player..but he would have backed down from Tommy Smith.

This indeed,to be honest was going to say the very same thing,he really did have it all,however i see Stevie as a different player for different reasons,but Souness certainly had it all.

Ferret92
29-4-11, 04:31
Behind Kenny, Stevie and Barnes. Legend player. **** after but he has apologised.

Ibeeeeey-lieve
29-4-11, 06:00
Deserves more respect than he gets on here. Full understand his LFC managerial career was a major disaster... But his playing career made him a Legend in those times.

Defo-skitso
29-4-11, 06:22
Defo the best midfielder and captain we have ever had, he was a winner and didn't mind going through opposition when needed.

As manager it wasn't great, to be fair he was left an aging dalglish team that was on it's knees. He brought through a lot of youngsters that people worship on here but nobody gives him recognition for.

Fowler2276
29-4-11, 08:16
In my view our greatest ever midfielder and the hardest player I have ever seen live.Could shoot, pass, tackle, attack, defend... the lot. Protected his team-mates with an iron will and a physical presence that was awe inspiring... Nobody got the better of him.Led us through the most successful period in our history and had the class to demand Bob Paisley rise the steps of Wembley ahead of him in his final game in 1983 and lift the Cup.

You can say all you like about being our greatest ever captain blah blah blah, winning everything in sight blah blah blah, tower of strength blah blah blah

But he doesn't even come close, not even on the same planet, let alone the same game as christain poulson, who can shoot (at barn doors), see the invisible pass (to the invisible man), tackle (himself, with tied laces and falls over), he can also drive the team forward (in his cruiser), yes, whatever souey had, christain has it in droves!
:D:D:D

For the record, I had a debate with the op creator last night when talking about legends of the game with souey versus Stevie g ( who I rate massively), however, on reflection souey won the following from the top of my head (I hope I'm right - didn't see him play live, am only 35)

3 European cups
4 league cups
5 league titles

Ouch!

irishkopie
29-4-11, 08:20

Not streets ahead. He is in top three. Gerrard I would still put in at number one given his phenomenal impact.
Sounness would be two, and then Alan Hansen.

bondred
29-4-11, 10:00
He will never be welcomed back in at Anfield, there are people there that would lynch him as soon as they see him. Which is a shame because he was a legend as a player.

But he made his bed, now he has to lie in it. He made the most utterly stupid decision when he was one of the closest to the families involved, for that any apology is scant, and to do it 10 years to late is even worse.

I think some of the language used in this thread is a bit harsh to say the least, saying someone is "sick" for having an opinion on a former manager/player is not really the way to conduct yourself.

I am not going to argue in this thread, nor comment on it again.

klopp in
29-4-11, 10:13

The thread is about him as a player not manager.

FIOS
29-4-11, 10:14
For the record, I had a debate with the op creator last night when talking about legends of the game with souey versus Stevie g ( who I rate massively), however, on reflection souey won the following from the top of my head (I hope I'm right - didn't see him play live, am only 35)

3 European cups
4 league cups
5 league titles

Ouch!

I think you may possibly be older than the fella you were actually debating with but don't let that stop him telling you how wrong you are about Souness though, eh?

Cracking player but he left when I was 10 so I can't really remember much of what I saw of him in the flesh. Most of my memories of him are formed from highlights and the odd match on video/dvd. For that reason, he is always going to be remembered by me as the manager rather than the player, and he will be forever tainted for his actions with the Sun.

It's sad because the fella is genuinely filled with regret over it, and how his time as manager turned out.

I'd like to see him welcomed back at Anfield because too long has passed but I understand how he is seen in the eyes of many, and I understand exactly why some have no time for him at all.

Addihash
29-4-11, 10:33
I think it would be a real example of "The Liverpool Way" to welcome Souness back to Anfield in a spirit of forgivness and mutual appreciation.

His quality as a player and his contribution to the club on the pitch is beyond question, and for that he will always be forgiven for his lack of managerial success (as Kenny would be if it didn't work out for him).

The problem is, of course, the S*n - Even now, I can't understand what was going (or not going) through his head....

I'm sure there are not many that feel more regret about the episode than Souness himself. But a more official apology from him might be what is needed to precipitate a reconciliation.

Then perhaps we can move onwards together, and he can rightfully take his place among the Legends (In our hearts and not just in our history).

Liverdinner
29-4-11, 10:38
Didnt even need to look to know who started this thread.

My Dad is a big fan of Souness and I can see why; nasty player but looked like Roy Keane style player matching Keane and then some.

FIOS
29-4-11, 10:38
I think it would be a real example of "The Liverpool Way" to welcome Souness back to Anfield in a spirit of forgivness and mutual appreciation.

His quality as a player and his contribution to the club on the pitch is beyond question, and for that he will always be forgiven for his lack of managerial success (as Kenny would be if it didn't work out for him).

The problem is, of course, the S*n - Even now, I can't understand what was going (or not going) through his head....

I'm sure there are not many that feel more regret about the episode than Souness himself. But a more official apology from him might be what is needed to precipitate a reconciliation.

Then perhaps we can move onwards together, and he can rightfully take his place among the Legends (In our hearts and not just in our history).

Agree with everything aside from the official apology part. I don't know what more the fella can do to apologise because he seems to do it whenever the subject is raised. He has apologised and expressed his regret more times than I can remember.

redhoops
29-4-11, 10:39
a player who make prob 90% of people on here in their all time team?

management and off field issues not great,but a true giant on the pitch for us.

for me a legend.

Addihash
29-4-11, 10:42
Agree with everything aside from the official apology part. I don't know what more the fella can do to apologise because he seems to do it whenever the subject is raised. He has apologised and expressed his regret more times than I can remember.

I know, but maybe a statement would have more impact than interviews etc. Personally I'm not calling for him to do it, I just think it might make it all more official and then we can all move on.

FIOS
29-4-11, 10:54
I know, but maybe a statement would have more impact than interviews etc. Personally I'm not calling for him to do it, I just think it might make it all more official and then we can all move on.

I just don't know what difference it would make mate. As far as I can remember, he's already made official and public apologies numerous times.

I'm sure he still has a good relationship with Kenny, so perhaps if he was asked to come to Anfield by Kenny then it may sway some people but on the other hand, it's really not Kenny's (or anyone elses) place to be suggesting that people should forgive and forget over something as emotional as this.

Paullfc1976
29-4-11, 11:08
No doubting he was a great player. Sadly his reputation will always be tarnished.

brummiered01
29-4-11, 11:08
one of manc mates reckons he's the best player we ever had. He likes that kind of player though

johnnymomo1
29-4-11, 11:48

Congrats on the most idiotic post ever

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 11:48
Good stuff lads

REDULATE
29-4-11, 11:50
Mossy I was under the impression you were only like 20 or something, :D, how old are you??

Wish I could of lived through that era to be honest, ah well, I guess I will live through the next era of dominance..

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 11:57
Mossy I was under the impression you were only like 20 or something, :D, guessing you are 40ish or 50ish though?

Wish I could of lived through that era to be honest, ah well, I guess I will live through the next era of dominance..

Nah.. Mid 30's... ST holder from 1981 onwards due to having a great old fella.

Souey and Kenny were my heroes and I studied the two of them beyond both of their stints with us.

Was at Maine Rd to see him volley the Milk Cup from the bitters and was gutted to the core when he was allowed to go to Italy... My Dad tried to pacify me with "he's being let go to earn his millions lad... he's earned it."

Greame polarises opinion which is sad given what a servant he was... but people do have every right not to forgive and I'm in the wrong to admonish them for it.

Peace dudes.

slimman
29-4-11, 12:26
A Giant of a player.

FIOS
29-4-11, 14:24

Souey and Kenny were my heroes and I studied the two of them beyond both of their stints with us.

Was at Maine Rd to see him volley the Milk Cup from the bitters and was gutted to the core when he was allowed to go to Italy... My Dad tried to pacify me with "he's being let go to earn his millions lad... he's earned it."

Greame polarises opinion which is sad given what a servant he was... but people do have every right not to forgive and I'm in the wrong to admonish them for it.

Peace dudes.

How old are you exactly?

Is this like the time you told me you remember what Hodgson was like when he managed Bristol City despite you being about 4 or 5 at the time.

Seanosdelgardo
29-4-11, 14:34

Souness, the greatest centre mid to have donned a red shirt....end of.

-Bodie-
29-4-11, 14:47
Roy Keane is one of my personal favourite midfielders of all time as i play in the same position as him and just loved the way he used to play. According to my older brother Souness was like Keane but a much better version. He says that i would have absolutely loved Souness as a player. Sadly i've only seen highlights and imo highlights and actually seeing the man play and two totally different things. Still i can pick up the type of player he was from them and try to understand the player he was and from the looks of it he was a colossus in midfield. You see me bumming De Jong on here quite a few times but thats only because theres not many players like him left nowadays. But Souness looked like he had that hardman defensive abilities but also could pass and shoot superbly aswell. That complete midfielder. But as i said i've only seen highlights so i feel im not qualified enough to have much of an opinion on him. All i can say is imo he should definetly be welcomed back to Anfield. He made a almighty mistake but i hope we can forgive him. He's apologised and you could see it was genuine. As for ultimate LFC captain, for me it will always be Gerrard. Just like for you Mossy it'll always be Souness. I've seen Gerrard for his whole career and he's an absolute hero to me just like Souey was to you. Both are absolute legends though and we should never forget that.

FIOS
29-4-11, 15:32

Perhaps he is referring to the subject title, rather than the post itself, which states the OP believes Souness to be the ultimate liverpool captain.

He may well be the greatest midfielder to have played for us but he has a hell of a lot of competition when it comes to determining the greatest captain.

RedGedinLA
29-4-11, 17:59
He may have competition for the honour of greatest captain, but ultimately he comes out on top. He was the driving force behind that great team and his collection of 3 european cups, 5 league championships and the rest is proof enough.
He was a giant on the pitch because he loved LFC and he loved his teammates - always the first to arrive in a goal celebration.
Those who denigrate Souness and suggest that he may not be welcome at this club - you don't speak for me and more to the point, shame on you.
Let me ask those doubters - did you ever do anything wrong. Did you ever make a mistake and then try to correct it. Did you ever repeatedly ask for forgiveness from someone you loved?
Did you ever have those pleas rejected. How did you feel?

Captain Mauser
29-4-11, 18:16
How old are you exactly?

Is this like the time you told me you remember what Hodgson was like when he managed Bristol City despite you being about 4 or 5 at the time.

Unlike everyone else that bothers getting into it with you... I'm not going to.

block204IB
29-4-11, 20:36
The best Liverpool central midfield player I have ever seen play for our club! An absolute monster of a player. Watching the Dalglish video posted again lately of his time has manager in his first stint but educated and indoctrinated into him as a player-he stated along with mcmahon, if you wanted a football match we'd compete and if you wanted a battle we would do that too!! Souness was integral to that philosophy; brilliant, incisive passing, goalscoring, a commander of midfield who dictated tempo and games from his position against the best teams in club football at that time, a beast in the tackle, nasty, horrible to play against. Never ever got the acknowledgement he deserved from the establishment of the day. I have never seen a midfielder as good as him play for or against us in 40 years. Anyone who wants to denigrate the guy for what came afterwards is up to them but if we are purely discussing playing days, in absolute agreement with original poster. Top-at the very top echelons of players!!

shody1976
29-4-11, 20:38

Anyway, carry on.

A brilliant, brilliant footballer and a true Liverpool legend. Great post Mossy, repped.

Bombay Money Lender
29-4-11, 22:14
Great leader of men makes him a great captain. Led our team to victory all over Europe where he was feared and revered. He could play sublime football, pass, move, shoot, tackle but if you wanted to mix it.......he would love that too. A true, Liverpool legend as a player and captain and I hope that one day families and friends will find it in their hearts to forgive him for his idiocy over the tragedy. :scarf

AlexPenn83
29-4-11, 23:29
Great leader of men makes him a great captain. Led our team to victory all over Europe where he was feared and revered. He could play sublime football, pass, move, shoot, tackle but if you wanted to mix it.......he would love that too. A true, Liverpool legend as a player and captain and I hope that one day families and friends will find it in their hearts to forgive him for his idiocy over the tragedy. :scarf

:scarf

Anfield-Lament
30-4-11, 01:43

Great midfielder, lousy manager after totally ruining what was left him.

Emlynn Hughes, Phil Thompson and Phil Neal not to forget Stevie all better skippers in my opinion and I am old enough to have witnessed them all play.

Goalrush09
30-4-11, 01:56
Loved him as a player and was disappointed in him as a manager and then as a man for reasons that we all know.

So I choose to just remember the player.

And those memories are worth remembering.

If you're a fan of this club and you loved Kenny and Rushie then go read their books and see what they thought of him as a team mate and as a player.

Souy had it all and in spades.

Could do everything that a world class midfielder is supposed to do and he could and did play both center mid positions as he could attack and be a creative goal scoring midfielder or he could break up play and be a complete defensive midfielder too.

For those that didn't see him and are young Souness was a combination of Keane/Scholes/Masch and maybe our own younger version Stevie G.

Could tackle, pass, shoot, construct and destruct and was as loyal to his team mates as a 20 year old dog.

The one word that always comes up when his ex team mates mention him is the word fearless.

He never shirked a tackle or a fight in his life and to have that courage matched with talent enabled him to be the legendary player that he was.

So many players in recent years have been called legends of our club but because of his actions as a manager and man Souness has lost this title and while it's hard to forgive what he did off the pitch it should be easy to remember what he did for us on it.

Those playing memories are up there with the very best of what this esteemed club have given us and he's been our captain in what can be called our greatest years.

Legend .....in my book.

Captain Mauser
30-4-11, 10:31
Loved him as a player and was disappointed in him as a manager and then as a man for reasons that we all know.

So I choose to just remember the player.

And those memories are worth remembering.

If you're a fan of this club and you loved Kenny and Rushie then go read their books and see what they thought of him as a team mate and as a player.

Souy had it all and in spades.

Could do everything that a world class midfielder is supposed to do and he could and did play both center mid positions as he could attack and be a creative goal scoring midfielder or he could break up play and be a complete defensive midfielder too.

For those that didn't see him and are young Souness was a combination of Keane/Scholes/Masch and maybe our own younger version Stevie G.

Could tackle, pass, shoot, construct and destruct and was as loyal to his team mates as a 20 year old dog.

The one word that always comes up when his ex team mates mention him is the word fearless.

He never shirked a tackle or a fight in his life and to have that courage matched with talent enabled him to be the legendary player that he was.

So many players in recent years have been called legends of our club but because of his actions as a manager and man Souness has lost this title and while it's hard to forgive what he did off the pitch it should be easy to remember what he did for us on it.

Those playing memories are up there with the very best of what this esteemed club have given us and he's been our captain in what can be called our greatest years.

Legend .....in my book.

Great post following the one before.... :clap:

Phil Thompson ahead of Souness... Uncle Bob obviously disagreed enough to upset Thommo for years over it.

I sometimes wonder what fans of this club actually want from a captain... give fearless leadership anyday.

Hughes and Souness at the pinnacle of this.

Captain Mauser
23-3-12, 01:21
New Souness Video I've found:

5 mins 39 secs onwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0WlYxGsn-E&feature=related

Ferocious.

-CADS-
23-3-12, 01:36
New Souness Video I've found:

5 mins 39 secs onwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0WlYxGsn-E&feature=related

Ferocious.

All I learned from that was that he was a dirty, vicious **** who held grudges.

But then I knew all that anyway. :)

-Joey-
23-3-12, 02:03
:scarf Graeme Souness a true Legend :scarf

RedGedinLA
23-3-12, 02:42

LOL...you obviously never saw Emlyn who was all heart but nowhere near Souey's league and neither is Gerrard. Seriously, Stevie has been magnificent for us, but he is a long way from Souness in terms of all round ability and as Captain, well, I could name several better than Stevie (including Emlyn).

Those who decry Souness as a manager and think that somehow reduces his legacy as a player are simply confused. IMO

Captain Mauser
23-3-12, 07:59
All I learned from that was that he was a dirty, vicious **** who held grudges.

But then I knew all that anyway. :)

You're weird.

-Cactus-
23-3-12, 08:30
He wouldn't play more than 10 matches a season today on account of all the red cards he'd receive, but damn, I'd give a lot to see someone like him play for us today. We need a leader like that.

-CADS-
23-3-12, 12:57
You're weird.

Did he actually play football or did he just fight off opposition players whilst Terry McDermott worked his magic?

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 02:33
Yuletide bump

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY :D

badboysdx
24-12-12, 02:47
Why'd you spell his name like that?

'Stim
24-12-12, 02:54
:D Ah,the bump.... As subtle as a sledgehammer,or the great Souness,himself!

'Stim
24-12-12, 03:08
Did he actually play football or did he just fight off opposition players whilst Terry McDermott worked his magic?

He was a fine Footballer. The perfect midfielder for the time. Tough when it was needed for him to be,skillful when it was needed for him to be. He was no thug,always in control of his emotions & his being. As instrumental then as our current Captain has been. Both have been immense,truly. We have been very fortunate to have such truly great players.

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 10:16
He was a fine Footballer. The perfect midfielder for the time. Tough when it was needed for him to be,skillful when it was needed for him to be. He was no thug,always in control of his emotions & his being. As instrumental then as our current Captain has been. Both have been immense,truly. We have been very fortunate to have such truly great players.

Greatest midfielder we've ever had.

phuzz
24-12-12, 10:20

after Gerrard yes.

Scrams
24-12-12, 10:26
Mossy's only made a souness thread to undermine Gerrard. What a muppet..

Seanosdelgardo
24-12-12, 10:32
after Gerrard yes.

If were talking about central midfielders here, then Gerrard isnt in the same catergory as Souness.

Souness is simply the finest centre mid to have played for this club.

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 10:32
What a pity the young hateful armchairs have come in to ruin what has been a brilliant thread about the greatest captain in our history.

It's attitudes like this that have consigned us to league also-rans for 20 years.

Seanosdelgardo
24-12-12, 10:33
Mossy's only made a souness thread to undermine Gerrard. What a muppet..

He made it 18 months ago you clown.

Seanosdelgardo
24-12-12, 10:34
What a pity the young hateful armchairs have come in to ruin what has been a brilliant thread about the greatest captain in our history.

It's attitudes like this that have consigned us to league also-rans for 20 years.

If Souness had been playing for us in the last 10 years we'd have made more than one decent title push.

Scrams
24-12-12, 10:35
He made it 18 months ago you clown.

I know that, you sheep. He can speak for himself. Doesn't change my point.

JesusOfTheJerusalemJungle
24-12-12, 10:35
Emlyn absolutely a challenger...

I won't even bother to get into it about Gerrard.

You idiot. Why do you hate Gerrard. You're a twonk.

Scrams
24-12-12, 10:36
If Souness had been playing for us in the last 10 years we'd have made more than one decent title push.

Stuck in the past. This isn't the 80's you old, fart.

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 10:37
I know that, you sheep. He can speak for himself. Doesn't change my point.

I'm not responding (this aside) to the large group of wannabe bullies that have targetted me because not one of you is capable of intimidating me on either a physical or a mental level... so **** off.

Scrams
24-12-12, 10:37
You idiot. Why do you hate Gerrard. You're a twonk.

He's an arse. Stuck in the 80's.

Scrams
24-12-12, 10:38
I'm not responding (this aside) to the large group of wannabe bullies that have targetted me because not one of you is capable of intimidating me on either a physical or a mental level... so **** off.

Hahaha drama queen.

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 10:39
I won't be intimidated by Gerrard's sycophants and hangers-on... I'm not a ******* DJ.

Seanosdelgardo
24-12-12, 10:44
I won't be intimidated by Gerrard's sycophants and hangers-on... I'm not a ******* DJ.

Gerrard had one good game at the weekend so you're supposed to worship the ground he walks on....did you not get the memo?

Tardelli59
24-12-12, 10:44

Spot on.

Six years wasn't enough. Gutted when he moved on.

24-12-12, 10:45

you are actually clueless and you don't deserve to support Liverpool in today's day and age if you can't appreciate Gerrard as much as he deserves.

24-12-12, 10:47
Gerrard had one good game at the weekend so you're supposed to worship the ground he walks on....did you not get the memo?

Yeah. Gerrards had one good game. Great post!

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 10:47
you are actually clueless and you don't deserve to support Liverpool in today's day and age if you can't appreciate Gerrard as much as he deserves.

Merry Christmas (http://www.blog-city.info/en/img6/6126_youtube-star-chris-crocker-glitter.gif)

Scrams
24-12-12, 10:48
You'll come to realise that he's a just a follower of a certain "clique" hence why I call him "sheep"

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 10:49
You'll come to realise that he's a just a follower of a certain "clique" hence why I call him "sheep"

Yeah THIS is the "clique"...

:rolleyes:

24-12-12, 10:51
Merry Christmas (http://www.blog-city.info/en/img6/6126_youtube-star-chris-crocker-glitter.gif)

Haha. You're so clever and funny that just lights up the world with you're wicked sense of humor and you're controversial statements.

Seanosdelgardo
24-12-12, 10:51

How many good games has he had this season?......being that we're now 18 games in.

There's a reason that people were saying things like "back to his best" after the Fulham game...........Because he's been toss this year, and last year.

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 10:52
Haha. You're so clever and funny that just lights up the world with you're wicked sense of humor and you're controversial statements.

Flattery will get you everywhere bigboy x

Seanosdelgardo

Awwww dont worry, you'll no doubt change your mind soon.....like you always do.

phuzz
after Gerrard yes.

Oh dear I've turned this into another Gerrard thread.

24-12-12, 10:54
Yeah THIS is the "clique"...

:rolleyes:

I do feel sorry for you though having to watch that rubbish player Gerrard win many games and cup finals for you us and everyone associated with Liverpool.

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 10:55
Oh dear I've turned this into another Gerrard thread.

That's fine phuzz, I don't mind and neither would Souey.

Gerrard is a fine player so it is only right he be mentioned in a thread where we're celebrating our greatest midfielder and captain.

24-12-12, 10:56
How many good games has he had this season?......being that we're now 18 games in.

There's a reason that people were saying things like "back to his best" after the Fulham game...........Because he's been toss this year, and last year.

Im not talking about this season. Someone said gerrards had one good game I said that's bull.

24-12-12, 10:58

Gerrard is a fine player so it is only right he be mentioned in a thread where we're celebrating our greatest midfielder and captain.

Hey that's fine. Everyone has their own opinion. As long as you're not disrespecting Gerrard which you were, its fine.

SofKop
24-12-12, 10:59
I don't agree that Gerrard doesn't deserve criticism this season. He has been very flawed. Whether or not you think he's a better player than Graeme Sounnes is a matter of opinion and can be done down to death. Nobody is going to change their opinion. I didn't get to see Souness play because his time was way before me but I have no doubt that he was a great player for us and I respect him for that. As much as I do any player who has served Liverpool FC to a great extent, the club I love. This is why I don't get it when people seem to get glee from finding every flaw they can with Steven Gerrard. Or get upset when he does play well and he gets his plaudits on the forum. Yes maybe he gets applauded a lot easier than anybody else but that's because he's Steven Gerrard. The same will happen for you when you've driven this club to multiple trophies and higher places in the league then they would have done without you. The same will happen for you when you were the single biggest influence at the club in the last decade. The same will ******* happen for you when people are still talking about you in 50 years time the way they do about Dalglish and others. He was a great player and gave us his life when he didn't have to. Therefore, when he plays like utter pony and trap it saddens me more than anything and I just hope that he improves or the manager doesn't force us to watch him visibly go to **** game after game.

phuzz
24-12-12, 10:59

Thats fair enough. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I never saw Souness play so I don't know how good he really was.

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 11:01
I do feel sorry for you though having to watch that rubbish player Gerrard win many games and cup finals for you us and everyone associated with Liverpool.

I've really enjoyed most of Gerrard's career... I just don't believe he's been the messiah some sadsacs have made him out to be.

FIOS
24-12-12, 11:02
Thats fair enough. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I never saw Souness play so I don't know how good he really was.

Mossy was about 6 when Souey left us. That hasn't stopped him forming an opinion.

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 11:04
Mossy was about 6 when Souey left us. That hasn't stopped him forming an opinion.

How old were you FIOS?

FIOS
24-12-12, 11:08
How old were you FIOS?

I'd have been about 11/12.

That wasn't meant as a dig. Just that you can form an opinion despite not seeing a player in his pomp.

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 11:14
I'd have been about 11/12.

That wasn't meant as a dig. Just that you can form an opinion despite not seeing a player in his pomp.

Don't fib... Just because we're firm friends now doesn't mean you can't hit me with a 2010 retro pop ;)

You know I was a season ticket holder during Souey's pomp and my memories are vivid and supplemented by an obsessional level of research since.

It's a good point you make given how many people wax lyrical about Kenny despite being sperm when he last played for the club.

phuzz
24-12-12, 11:20

Oh was he? I know you can still have an opinion but to be honest I never really had one of Souness other than of when he was our manager. Sure he was a great player though. I can trust Mossy's opinion unless it's about Gerrard.

FIOS
24-12-12, 11:20
Don't fib... Just because we're firm friends now doesn't mean you can't hit me with a 2010 retro pop ;)

You know I was a season ticket holder during Souey's pomp and my memories are vivid and supplemented by an obsessional level of research since.

It's a good point you make given how many people wax lyrical about Kenny despite being sperm when he last played for the club.

It genuinely wasn't a dig, aside from the age thing, because I have no idea how old you are.

Kenny is the perfect example. I grew up on him, and was told by my arl fella (before I even knew and understood the concept) that he was my hero. I probably only saw enough of him in is latter stages, much like Souness et all, to actually judge him but still now know enough to state that he's one of (if not the) finest player to ever play for us.

It's not difficult to educate yourself on players if you have the heart and inclination to dedicate the time.

TheSoundLady
24-12-12, 11:22

Britney Spears is hot.

Oh sorry did I permanently taint your Souness thread. You started it though.

Edit: Britney's little sister is named Pickle.

Defo-skitso
24-12-12, 11:24
Its not even a question, Souey is the best captain we have ever had.. simple as!

christhered
24-12-12, 11:24
How predictable.

Dan27
24-12-12, 11:31
Glad I saw this thread today I ...... loved sourness as a player, and hards as nails. Would loved to have seem him tear kean a new ar**hole !!!!!

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 11:58
Glad I saw this thread today I ...... loved sourness as a player, and hards as nails. Would loved to have seem him tear kean a new ar**hole !!!!!

Imagine him at the heart as captain of either our 96-98 side or 06-09... scary.

RedGedinLA
24-12-12, 12:11
Our best midfielder and captain by some considerable margin. A winner to boot. Souness was a monster who bestrode English football with contempt for the opposition. And those who think Gerrard is better are clearly identifying their age...because they never saw the moustachioed maestro...

Redhead
24-12-12, 13:44
Remember this thread first time round. Well in Mossy!

I couldn't pick between Souness or Barnes as my favourite ever Liverpool player. Both absolute legends.

Quick question, who was the commentator years ago who insisted on referring to him as 'Sowness'? :)

GiorgosCarraGoonies
24-12-12, 13:50
I only have old footage and my auld fella to go off but Souness was a monster.

LordJamieOfCarragher
24-12-12, 13:56
Remember this thread first time round. Well in Mossy!

I couldn't pick between Souness or Barnes as my favourite ever Liverpool player. Both absolute legends.

Quick question, who was the commentator years ago who insisted on referring to him as 'Sowness'? :)

Brian Moore, 1978 European Cup Final commentary for the goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok7ZRR0oEI8

4 minutes in to that video.

redhoops
24-12-12, 14:01
I only have old footage and my auld fella to go off but Souness was a monster.

he would make my alltime british eleven,easily.
dont get why this thread has almost become a stevie v souie event. both Liverpool legends.

Skip Bayless
24-12-12, 14:04
Steve McMahon was twice the player Souey was.

LordJamieOfCarragher
24-12-12, 14:07

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 14:07

Special post of the Year 2012

EDIT: I dun got trolled

Sanduskyy
24-12-12, 14:12
Great player! ...definitely top 5 player for me though all-time.

Blofeld
24-12-12, 17:09

Well said. Merry Christmas, Mossy.

ceredred
24-12-12, 17:34
Mossy's only made a souness thread to undermine Gerrard. What a muppet..It's so deliberate how you have wrote Souness...and you talk of 'undermining'.

christhered
24-12-12, 17:42
He cant even spell his name correctly, what a ****** the op is.

ceredred
24-12-12, 17:51
He cant even spell his name correctly, what a ****** the op is.Two years and you had to let the cat out of the bag.

christhered
24-12-12, 17:55
Two years and you had to let the cat out of the bag.

Better late than never as they say.

ceredred
24-12-12, 17:59
Better late than never as they say.:D

I'm sure Mossy can defend such a trivial thing...

christhered
24-12-12, 18:10

I'm sure Mossy can defend such a trivial thing...

No doubt, the real question is can he fit a wee dig in at No.8 while he's at it.

Navredman
24-12-12, 20:34

He never said anything about a manager, he was talking about the player and a captain ;)

Navredman
24-12-12, 20:36

Not fit to lace Souey's boots ;)

Captain Mauser
24-12-12, 20:52
He cant even spell his name correctly, what a ****** the op is.

Apologies, everytime I go to type 'Graeme Souness', my brain immediately thinks 'Greatest' and causes a misspelling.

I've typed 'Greatest Superness' once or twice.

Navredman
24-12-12, 20:53
Big old thighs. Like Mark Hughes.

Gorgeous body, looks great in white pants.

Underpants :IN:

Navredman
24-12-12, 20:57

Real shame he isn't.

Without him there would not be as many legend's imo :scarf

Navredman
24-12-12, 21:12

Peace dudes.

Yes Paolo but no one can ever question him as a player for us ;)

Navredman
24-12-12, 21:21
He wouldn't play more than 10 matches a season today on account of all the red cards he'd receive, but damn, I'd give a lot to see someone like him play for us today. We need a leader like that.

You can imagine him getting retribution on that French tramp evra :D

Kloppstachio
24-12-12, 21:24
He was such a brilliant player for us (in the 3 yrs or so of him that I remember seeing him) and even his time as P-M at Rangers was nothing but successful (at least in terms of trophies). So it was no wonder that my best mate and I were actually relieved when he took over LFC after Kenny's departure. The rest of the story should just remain water under the bridge but all I'll say is that to blame one person for our 22 years in PL trophy wilderness is just plain unfair.

Embrace the man who gave us so many brilliant moments like the one in the 84 EC Final against Roma when he made a perfect cross field pass to Craig Johnston whose cross then led to Phil Neal's goal.

ScouseSoxNation
25-12-12, 04:26

Couldnt agree more. If i was picking my all time LFC team, Souness would be the first name on my team sheet.
I will never forget the European Cup SF in 84 at Anfield. He broke a Romanian players jaw,.When they arrived in Romania for the 2nd leg, the soldiers at the airport were making throat slitting gestures at him and the crowd was baying for blood. Souness dominated the match.
He would strut around the pitch like he owned it, pulling the strings and had a tremendous shot. Souness was 5 times the player Roy Keane was

ScouseSoxNation
25-12-12, 04:34

and Michael Robinson was better than Ian Rush :D

rederman
25-12-12, 08:44

Its a pity he didnt realise that being a footballer and being a manager are two completely different things,as weve found to our cost.

Seanosdelgardo
25-12-12, 11:53
Only Graeme could pull this off. (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4bnw5ANgT1qba3z2o1_400.jpg)

ScouseSoxNation
25-12-12, 21:39

exactly right! I love Stevie G but id take Souness every time. SG never controlled and influenced matches like Graeme did

rederman
26-12-12, 06:13
exactly right! I love Stevie G but id take Souness every time. SG never controlled and influenced matches like Graeme did

what would happen if you put souness into stevies shoes as a footballer..
Do you honestly think he could have done any better >?

Captain Mauser
26-12-12, 09:51
what would happen if you put souness into stevies shoes as a footballer..
Do you honestly think he could have done any better >?

As a player no, as a captain absolutely.

Captain Mauser
6-5-13, 10:19
Happy 60th Souey!!

GiorgosCarraGoonies
6-5-13, 10:22
Happy birthday Souey, you hard *******.

Captain Mauser
6-5-13, 10:24
Good article if a little thin:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/raise-glass-graeme-souness-60-1862664

Tardelli59
6-5-13, 10:24
Many Happy Returns Graeme.

Absolute legend.

Alon1
6-5-13, 11:00
He is 60 already? He looks younger.

Sanduskyy
6-5-13, 12:02

wow....irony meet mossy.

WindyShepherdHenderson
6-5-13, 12:04

In all fairness you didn't care enough to spell his name right in the thread title :P

Captain Mauser
6-5-13, 12:05
wow....irony meet mossy.

Huh??

Captain Mauser
6-5-13, 12:06
In all fairness you didn't care enough to spell his name right in the thread title :P

This was called out a long time ago...

You have failed young Skywalker.

WindyShepherdHenderson
6-5-13, 12:08
This was called out a long time ago...

You have failed young Skywalker.

'A before E except after B'

And C, D, F etc.

Machtig Maus
6-5-13, 13:20
Many happy returns Graeme, it was a pleasure to watch you during the glory days!

Without question the best skipper The Reds have ever had!

A proper, proper LEGEND!

Captain Mauser
6-5-13, 13:40
'A before E except after B'

And C, D, F etc.

For you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200390698493

What are you like 24 waist-32 chest?

Goalrush09
6-5-13, 15:08
Magnificent player and captain for us.

Complete legend in a world where the word legend is used too freely.

One of the toughest players ever to play for us and only cared about winning.

I've never let what he did as a manager tarnish the memory of the player that he was.

I bet Carra and Souness get on like a house on fire.

Both of them would have done anything in their powers to ensure a win.

Pity the age of that type of passionate player is coming to a close.

It's a mercenary era now.

No Angel
6-5-13, 15:13
Magnificent player and captain for us.

Complete legend in a world where the word legend is used too freely.

One of the toughest players ever to play for us and only cared about winning.

I've never let what he did as a manager tarnish the memory of the player that he was.

I bet Carra and Souness get on like a house on fire.

Both of them would have done anything in their powers to ensure a win.

Pity the age of that type of passionate player is coming to a close.

It's a mercenary era now.

Hit the nail,well said.

Kloppette
6-5-13, 15:26
Happy Birthday Souey, great player glad he isn't managing any more though especially here !!

Cumbrian.
6-5-13, 15:57
Happy Birthday Souey, great player glad he isn't managing any more though especially here !!

Why are you glad he isn't managing anymore?

Jay-Cutlers-Thumb
6-5-13, 16:39
He looks good for 60!

-CADS-
6-5-13, 16:39
Happy birthday Souey. Thanks for ruining our club.

LordJamieOfCarragher
6-5-13, 16:48
Happy Birthday, Graeme.

Fantastic player
**** manager
Bitter pundit

Cumbrian.
6-5-13, 17:00
http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/337384-What-with-the-Souness-No-Thanks-banner

Captain Mauser
6-5-13, 17:15
The irony of nomarks calling a Three-Time European Cup winner "bitter"... Just about the last thing Souness is.

Anyway... you can't educate pork.

LordJamieOfCarragher
6-5-13, 17:17
The irony of nomarks calling a Three-Time European Cup winner "bitter"... Just about the last thing Souness is.

:)

The irony of you claiming irony about people disrespecting a Liverpool legend is delicious.

Cymru.
6-5-13, 17:18
Happy birthday Souey. Thanks for ruining our club.

:FP: crap bait

Cymru.
6-5-13, 17:19
:)

The irony of you claiming irony about people disrespecting a Liverpool legend is delicious.

I wouldn't say Mossy disrespects Gerrard.

Kloppette
6-5-13, 17:24
Why are you glad he isn't managing anymore?

2 reasons, here he was ****** rubbish and on top of that he had heart problems that are an issue with stress.

JamesMjolnir
6-5-13, 17:27

I've seen you say this more times than you've assassinated Gerrard. It's your catchphrase.

redhoops
6-5-13, 17:50
Our greatest ever midfielder.

slimman
6-5-13, 17:52
Happy Birthday Graeme.

Must say he looks excellent for 60. Keep on trucking :clap:

Graggster
6-5-13, 17:54
imagine some hoodies picking on old man souness

JamesMjolnir
6-5-13, 17:55

If it was 1981, I wouldn't want to...

-CADS-
6-5-13, 18:02

Who wouldn't be terrified of encountering this man. (http://i1.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/history/article1801575.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/Graeme-Souness-1975-1801575.jpg)

Graggster
6-5-13, 18:03
Souness has probably done the bravest thing, yet probably stupist thing aswell... ever in football.

Planting the Galatasary flag in the center circle of the fenerbache pitch, what a loon.

Graggster
6-5-13, 18:04
Who wouldn't be terrified of encountering this man. (http://i1.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/history/article1801575.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/Graeme-Souness-1975-1801575.jpg)

i didnt know he was in Saturday Night Fever aswell.

Sanduskyy
6-5-13, 18:04

:D Disco Stu!

ceredred
6-5-13, 18:07
Fantastic player and supreme captain. Wore his heart on his sleeve when he managed us and in the process made mistakes and even he admits he was rash to some of the decisions he made regarding the players we had(and got rid of) and the ones he brought in. Love hearing his views when he is on RTE as he doesn't hold back but still keeps that air of authority and calmness in his voice.

Many Happy returns Graeme.

Cumbrian.
6-5-13, 18:07
:D Disco Stu!

Disco Sue

Captain Mauser
6-5-13, 19:07
I wouldn't say Mossy disrespects Gerrard.

I don't... he was out best player by a country mile yesterday.

I'm just not a **** head with a 'Gerrard 8' shirt who gets an erection everytime he bangs a pass from one touchline to the other... it's called objectivity.

If I was like half the Gerrard fanboys, I'd be desperately trying to convince everyone that Souness was a misunderstood management genius.

JamesMjolnir
6-5-13, 19:13
Hang on...

Who the **** is 'Greame' Souness?

Captain Mauser
6-5-13, 19:16
Hang on...

That's three thus far, Shooter.

JamesMjolnir
6-5-13, 19:17

First time I've visited this thread, Moshy.

Navredman
6-5-13, 21:26
Hang on...

:fishing :DH: :BH: :oyh:

SixStringLuke
6-5-13, 21:28

"Oh you can count. Good for you."

JamesMjolnir
6-5-13, 21:30
:fishing :DH: :BH: :oyh:

Is this a depiction of your life in emoticons, or something? I just don't know what this is...

Captain Mauser
6-5-13, 21:38
"Oh you can count. Good for you."

Count... me... you... parking lot.

SixStringLuke
6-5-13, 21:39
Count... me... you... parking lot.

And scene!

I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the resolution.

Gazza74
6-5-13, 21:46
KOP 10, "Souness moments", on LFC TV now.

Seanosdelgardo
6-5-13, 22:07

Just watched it. Souness was the ****in man.

Captain Mauser
6-5-13, 22:15

Missed it!!!

Gaaahhhhh rat-farts!!!!!!!! :mad:

JezChambers
7-5-13, 07:26

Absolutely spot on. Brilliant player, what I'd give to have someone of his calibre in the side now.

I'm 41 so I saw a lot of him play. My old man (a Geordie) rates him as the best Liverpool player of all time.

Captain Mauser
7-5-13, 08:12
Absolutely spot on. Brilliant player, what I'd give to have someone of his calibre in the side now.

I'm 41 so I saw a lot of him play. My old man (a Geordie) rates him as the best Liverpool player of all time.

It's actually quite funny, given the way so many people feel and talk about Souness, just how humble and modest he is about his playing ability and his place within the greatest club side Britain has ever seen.

My Dad and his mates were similar to yours...the phrase that always pops up is "he could do everything".

RedGeezer85
7-5-13, 08:18
I never saw Souness play but my old man said he's the best midfielder he's seen play in England. Said he could do everything and to quote my old bloke "he was hard as nails, used to kick lumps out of people".

Captain Mauser
7-5-13, 08:22
I never saw Souness play but my old man said he's the best midfielder he's seen play in England. Said he could do everything and to quote my old bloke "he was hard as nails, used to kick lumps out of people".

He was certainly the hardest player I recall but I was a kid... it's stuff like stories you hear from his time at Gala that make you think he was proper hard.

RedGeezer85
7-5-13, 08:24
He was certainly the hardest player I recall but I was a kid... it's stuff like stories you hear from his time at Gala that make you think he was proper hard.

My Dad's a City fan (from birth) & he rates Souey higher than SG.

RedGeezer85
7-5-13, 08:25
It's a shame he was a crap manager, it clouds a lot of LFC fans views on him

Captain Mauser
7-5-13, 08:28
My Dad's a City fan (from birth) & he rates Souey higher than SG.

Different players in many ways... I don't see Steven as a centre mid to be fair.

All time I have Souness third and Gerrard fourth.

RedGeezer85
7-5-13, 08:36
Different players in many ways... I don't see Steven as a centre mid to be fair.

All time I have Souness third and Gerrard fourth.

Who 1st & 2nd?

Kenny and?

I have to say Gerrard number 1 for me because I haven't seen any of the others play.

In my lifetime (27) my top 5 would be something like this:

1.) Gerrard
2.) Hyypia
3.) Fowler
4.) Hamann
5.) Mcmanaman

Hard to leave Carra out. Suarez & Torres would be in there if they'd been there longer.

Ad_Rock
7-5-13, 08:37
we've all noticed that the title says 'Greame' right?

RedGeezer85
7-5-13, 08:38

Few people pointed it out mate

RedGeezer85
7-5-13, 08:39
Souey enjoying himself in the sun

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/graeme-souness-of-sampdoria-sunbathing-in-genoa-italy-on-news-photo/93557320

Captain Mauser
7-5-13, 08:42

It's the celtic [kel-tik] spelling of the name.

FIOS
7-5-13, 10:07
It's the celtic [kel-tik] spelling of the name.

The Celtic spelling of his name contains only four letters.

WindyShepherdHenderson
7-5-13, 11:28
The Celtic spelling of his name contains only four letters.

And two of them are bh.

Captain Mauser
7-5-13, 12:34
Get stuffed both of you.

Captain Mauser
31-10-13, 23:25
Bump 2

TheSoundLady
31-10-13, 23:49
Those were the days!

When I think of Souness I just think of incredible success. Looking forward to our next era like that. Hopefully it will be in my lifetime... hopefully sooner rather than later!

-CADS-
1-11-13, 01:06
Mossy on a mission tonight