PDA

View Full Version : Jan Vertonghen linked with Manchester City

RogerHuntelaar
10-5-11, 11:02
That's what the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf reported today.

Frank de Boer is quoted saying (translated of course):

"We are aware that Mancini was there [at the Cup final earlier this week, I assume]. I'm also aware of the rumours from England that City is interested in him. One plus one, is two of course."

Vertonghen is a similar player to Agger, maybe even better and totally not injury prone. He's also left footed. I would be gutted if City would sign him, we would definitely regret it, especially with Agger's injury problems. He could take his place or they could fight for the spot and we wouldn't have to change anything in our system.
What do you think of Vertonghen?

Fowi
10-5-11, 11:03
I've always been a fan and yes I'd sign him. That being said, City pairing up Kompany and Vertonghen could be epic.

RogerHuntelaar
10-5-11, 11:06
I've always been a fan and yes I'd sign him. That being said, City pairing up Kompany and Vertonghen could be epic.

Exactly what I thought. Vertonghen also recently said that he was ready for a new step in his career. I think City mean business.

RogerHuntelaar
17-2-12, 17:18
Tottenham Hotspur were scouting him last night when Ajax were playing against United and saw him play a good game. He would be a good buy for any team in the world in my opinion. Opinions?

lfcstlouis
17-2-12, 17:19
Thought they'd be all set with Savic.

Jazzy-J
17-2-12, 17:20
HIS A GOOD PLAYER :scarf

RogerHuntelaar
17-2-12, 17:21
Thought they'd be all set with Savic.

Should have bought this lad, Savic is pants.

Well, pants is maybe a bit harsh, I don't think he suits English football though. Maybe he should have joined a Valencia or something.

TresorFischer
17-2-12, 17:27
He's an excellent player, and versatile too. Seem to remember him playing at left back and as a holding CM for Ajax. Would certainly improve City's options.

RogerHuntelaar
17-2-12, 17:28
He's an excellent player, and versatile too. Seem to remember him playing at left back and as a holding CM for Ajax. Would certainly improve City's options.

I bumped an old thread, mate, Spurs are interested now and in fact were scouting him yesterday.

For the people who don't know him, he was that tree that is good on the ball that runs into midfield.

lfcstlouis
17-2-12, 17:30
Should have bought this lad, Savic is pants.

Well, pants is maybe a bit harsh, I don't think he suits English football though. Maybe he should have joined a Valencia or something.

What?!!? He looked solid when we played him, and he did a great job against utd... :IN:

RogerHuntelaar
17-2-12, 17:32
What?!!? He looked solid when we played him, and he did a great job against utd... :IN:

If Carroll beats you on the ground, you're not solid. :p :IN:

Em-inLeam
17-2-12, 17:48
He was MOTM last night. A monster at the back and quality coming forward. Would love to have him at Liverpool.

RogerHuntelaar
17-2-12, 17:49
He was MOTM last night. A monster at the back and quality coming forward. Would love to have him at Liverpool.

I really hope Spurs don't sign him. Him and King together would be awesome.

bigpepespunch
17-2-12, 18:53
I really hope Spurs don't sign him. Him and King together would be awesome.

Kaboul has been far superior to Vertonghen this season

RogerHuntelaar
17-2-12, 19:00
Kaboul has been far superior to Vertonghen this season

Vertonghen is the better player, though.

L1verFC
17-2-12, 19:59

Thats the reason I think he will be at citeh next season.

What a partnership that will be :(

OriginalJebus
18-2-12, 00:50
How much are we talking?

If he can cover left back and defensive midfield he'd be perfect. After Aurelio leaves we only Robinson. In the middle I don't really trust Carragher or Coates (yet) and we clearly need another player who can play in the DM role.

bigpepespunch
18-2-12, 01:38
Vertonghen is the better player, though.

Based on what? pretty much the same age and Kaboul is performing better in a better league

RogerHuntelaar
12-3-12, 00:46
He was on a Dutch football talkshow tonight and he said that he was definitely leaving this summer and that his agent knew which clubs he would be interested in joining. The other guys on the table asked him specifically about Arsenal and he said that they had been talking to his agent and he also said that a club of the caliber of the Spurs would be nice too. He didn't mind a Manchester club either.

I'm genuinely wondering if that means that we could be in for him as well.

RogerHuntelaar
12-3-12, 00:46
Based on what? pretty much the same age and Kaboul is performing better in a better league

Pfff, rubbish. You clearly don't watch Vertonghen play very much.

Muller2001
12-3-12, 00:52
Pfff, rubbish. You clearly don't watch Vertonghen play very much.

He would surely want the thing we cant offer him- Champions league football. Vermaelen and Vertonghen would be a good partnership at arsenal?

RogerHuntelaar
12-3-12, 00:54
He would surely want the thing we cant offer him- Champions league football. Vermaelen and Vertonghen would be a good partnership at arsenal?

Hmm, both left footed, but I guess it could work regardless of that little detail as they're both brilliant. Would be interesting to see who of them would do the build up play.

pete752
12-3-12, 00:56
Hmm, both left footed, but I guess it could work regardless of that little detail as they're both brilliant. Would be interesting to see who of them would do the build up.

We could do with him..Agger would probably never play the number of games he played for us this season ever again and we could do with a left footed ball playing defender who can start attacks from the back.

Muller2001
12-3-12, 01:03
Hmm, both left footed, but I guess it could work regardless of that little detail as they're both brilliant. Would be interesting to see who of them would do the build up play.

I just cant see us attracting a player of his quality at the moment, unfortunately. If its a decision between spurs and arsenal i'd imagine the fact vermaelan is at arsenal might sway his mind in favour of the gooners. In a side note isn't eden hazard, another belgian, strongly linked with both arseanl and spurs?

Would this be the summer arsene finally gets the chequebook out and goes for both?