PDA

View Full Version : Pirlo

OLI1879
19-5-11, 12:36
Available for free in the Summer.

I know this would be against FSGs (aparent) policy but I think he would be brilliant for the next 2 seasons. He could be massively influential in getting back into the top 4. A no brainer for me.

BAlmeida
19-5-11, 12:38
Its a no brainer in signing him. 31 year old unproven premiership player! No thanks!!

LordJamieOfCarragher
19-5-11, 12:38
Nowhere near the player he was a few seasons ago, ask yourself why he is available on a free transfer.

No.

MaradonaJunior
19-5-11, 12:39
Thought about earlier today, no harm in throwing a relatively low-paying contract his way... if he accepts great, if he says no, "Well, you are too old anyways and we just wanted to do you a favor" :D

SweetCarrollNine
19-5-11, 12:40
Agreed to go to Juve hasn't he?

imnotadeer
19-5-11, 12:40
You're right it being a no-brainer...

...definately not.

MaradonaJunior
19-5-11, 12:41
Agreed to go to Juve hasn't he?

I thought so too, but apparently not - he was waiting to hear from Milan and they want a more red card-prone defensive mid, so extension for van Bommel. Lucky Milan fans ;)

OLI1879
19-5-11, 12:42
Its a no brainer in signing him. 31 year old unproven premiership player! No thanks!!

A world class midfielder, one of the best in the world and only 31, for free!:confused:

Oh but he's not premiership proven :rolleyes: :FP:

LordJamieOfCarragher
19-5-11, 12:43
A world class midfielder, one of the best in the world and only 31, for free!:confused:

He's not world class.

MaradonaJunior
19-5-11, 12:47

I'm with you on this, while I won't use the word World Class about him, I think he could be worth a gamble. After ten years at Milan, a change in scenery might see him return to former glory.

And even if he isn't as good as way back when, I bet he can still whoop every Liverpool players ass in passing and set-piece delivery.

OLI1879
19-5-11, 12:49
Nowhere near the player he was a few seasons ago, ask yourself why he is available on a free transfer.

No.

Everyone is asking that question, because it seems a nuts move by Milan. If he goes to Chelsea or Man City, he will be one of the best in the premiership. I would put money on it.

If he hasn't been on form this season, I doubt he is past it, he is only 31.

WineForMyMen
19-5-11, 12:52
He'd be murdered in the PL I reckon.

A player that could well be going cheap and plays a similar position though is Villa's Bannan. Has really impressed me when I've seen him.

Skip Bayless
19-5-11, 12:54
He has the movement of Darron Gibson in midfield.

No thanks.

OLI1879
19-5-11, 12:55
He's not world class.

I don't want to start the old world class argument as everyone has their own definition but being one of the outstanding players in a world cup winning team, for me qualifies someone as world class.

BAlmeida
19-5-11, 12:55
Everyone is asking that question, because it seems a nuts move by Milan. If he goes to Chelsea or Man City, he will be one of the best in the premiership. I would put money on it.

If he hasn't been on form this season, I doubt he is past it, he is only 31.

Only 31 (!!!) and used to playing in a pedestrian league where you're not put under the same pressure as the Premiership. At his age, I doubt he would ever adapt to our league. So once again NO THANK YOU!

LordJamieOfCarragher
19-5-11, 12:56
I don't want to start the old world class argument as everyone has their own definition but being one of the outstanding players in a world cup winning team, for me qualifies someone as world class.

5 years ago though!

GottaWearShades
19-5-11, 12:56

I agree entirely.

OLI1879
19-5-11, 13:08
Only 31 (!!!) and used to playing in a pedestrian league where you're not put under the same pressure as the Premiership. At his age, I doubt he would ever adapt to our league. So once again NO THANK YOU!

yes, ONLY 31. I am sick of this assumption that over 30 is past it. It is not.

Kuyt is 32, Gerrard is 31, Carragher is 33, Xavi is 31, Giggs is 38 ffs! Very few players are past their best at 31. The ones that are are ones that haven't looked after themselves and got fat(real ronaldo, Gazza) or have been racked by inuries throughout their career(Owen,Hargreaves).

Also, Italians are reknowned for being very fit and healthy and playing at the top level for years into their 30s.(Maldini,Inzaghi,Nesta).

I am also fed up with the "murdered in the prem" argment. a good player is a good player end of story. Xabi was slow and people said he wasn't suited to the prem until he was our best player for a season.

LordJamieOfCarragher
19-5-11, 13:09
yes, ONLY 31. I am sick of this assumption that over 30 is past it. It is not.

Kuyt is 32, Gerrard is 31, Carragher is 33, Xavi is 31, Giggs is 38 ffs! Very few players are past their best at 31. The ones that are are ones that haven't looked after themselves and got fat(real ronaldo, Gazza) or have been racked by inuries throughout their career(Owen,Hargreaves).

Also, Italians are reknowned for being very fit and healthy and playing at the top level for years into their 30s.(Maldini,Inzaghi,Nesta).

I am also fed up with the "murdered in the prem" argment. a good player is a good player end of story. Xabi was slow and people said he wasn't suited to the prem until he was our best player for a season.

Dirk is 30, as is Gerrard.

And Giggs is 37.

BAlmeida
19-5-11, 13:11
Read all the replies to your post and count how many fors and how many against signing Pirlo. Then just give it up and admit you've made a bad call.;)

OLI1879
19-5-11, 13:13
Dirk is 30, as is Gerrard.

And Giggs is 37.

Ah , don't know why I thought Kuyt was 32:o

Anyway, my slight exaggerations aside, the point still stands.

OLI1879
19-5-11, 13:16
Read all the replies to your post and count how many fors and how many against signing Pirlo. Then just give it up and admit you've made a bad call.;)

Nah, I'll just bump this thread after he signs for Chelsea and wins PFA player of the year. Then you will all look like fools:D

LordJamieOfCarragher
19-5-11, 13:17
Nah, I'll just bump this thread after he signs for Chelsea and wins PFA player of the year. Then you will all look like fools:D

There will be worse suggestions than Pirlo I'm sure, I just don't think he has what he had a few years ago, Kaka's the same.

0oRallo0
19-5-11, 13:18
Ah , don't know why I thought Kuyt was 32:o

Anyway, my slight exaggerations aside, the point still stands.

Its not just about being over 30 is past it, being over 30 you are in the downside of your game which may not make you any worse of a player. You dont get better. Its all well and good having players in your team who are this age, players who have been at the club for years like gerrard but when signing a player, it is best to sign someone who can come in it a youngish age, someone who can mature with the squad and can have good years ahead of them.

OLI1879
19-5-11, 13:24
Its not just about being over 30 is past it, being over 30 you are in the downside of your game which may not make you any worse of a player. You dont get better. Its all well and good having players in your team who are this age, players who have been at the club for years like gerrard but when signing a player, it is best to sign someone who can come in it a youngish age, someone who can mature with the squad and can have good years ahead of them.

I totally understand that and I don't usually want us to go for these mature players but I just feel that we DO need short-term success as it is vital to get back into the top 4 and he could help us with that.

I think he could be a Mcallister-esque signing.

DidiDidIt
19-5-11, 13:25
it's all about what he can bring to the squad, we all raised eyebrows at the Gary Mc signing and it turned out to be inspired. I'd love to see Pirlo at Liverpool

GottaWearShades
19-5-11, 13:30
I am also fed up with the "murdered in the prem" argment. a good player is a good player end of story. .

Forlan, Veron, Sheva, Morientes ...

OLI1879
19-5-11, 13:31
There will be worse suggestions than Pirlo I'm sure, I just don't think he has what he had a few years ago, Kaka's the same.

Kaka's a good example of what I'm talking about. If he was 24 people would say his game has suffered because he moved to a brand new team (full of huge egos) in a brand new country with massive expectation caused by a 50 million price tag hanging over him.

Because Benzema is young, people just say he "hasn't settled".Because Kaka is older, they say he isn't the player he once was. I doubt very much this is true, he is only 29 and would probably be at his peak if he stayed in his comfort zone at Milan.

AGeddesRed
19-5-11, 13:32
Im not saying i'd like Pirlo at Anfield, in fact thinking about it i would say no if it was up to me but... a big plus point for me would be his winning mentality.

It's ok building a squad in the FSG mould of aspiring 22-25 year olds but when it gets to the nitty gritty of a title run in we need players who've experience of playing under the pressure and coming through as winners.

He's a world cup winner (yes i know Pepe is too but he was a squad player) plus a couple of Italian titles, cups and the Champions League too. Someone else for the younger lads to look up to.

As i said, i dont think Pirlo is the right man for us, but i'd love us to go out and bring in someone with vast experience to shoulder some of the burden off Stevie and Carra at times.

Just my thoughts...

OLI1879
19-5-11, 13:36

All failed for unknown reasons.

Is sheva weak or slow compared to premiership strikers? No.

Forlan was actually decent but he just couldn't hit a barn door. How does the premiership stop him hitting the target? are our goals smaller? No. He did get a shed load of assists though, explain that one?

People get uprooted from what they are used to and move to a strange country and it effects some people massively and some it doesn't.

The whole prem thing is just ******** in my opinion. How do these players do so well in the World Cup when they have to play all these premiership players? it just doesn't make sense.

#CavaniToLiverpool
19-5-11, 13:38
Kaka's a good example of what I'm talking about. If he was 24 people would say his game has suffered because he moved to a brand new team (full of huge egos) in a brand new country with massive expectation caused by a 50 million price tag hanging over him.

Because Benzema is young, people just say he "hasn't settled".Because Kaka is older, they say he isn't the player he once was. I doubt very much this is true, he is only 29 and would probably be at his peak if he stayed in his comfort zone at Milan.

Kaka is ******* sick! people forget he has been injured 80% of the time, and the other 20% he can't get a game!

lauriantero
19-5-11, 13:41

I'm really tired of this cliche as well. Torres, Suarez, Alonso, C. Ronaldo, Silva, Tevez, Berbatov, Hernandez, Modric, van Nistelrooy, Henry, van der Vaart, Zola, Malouda, Nani, Fabregas and many many others were not "premiership proven" before coming to the prem, but it didn't stop them. I'm sure some people would be against signing Messi because he's not premiership proven. :FP:

Having said that, I'm not sure if I'd want Pirlo. He is not the player he used to be, and I'd rather sign a younger player who already is or at least will be what Pirlo used to be.

BAlmeida
19-5-11, 13:48
I'm really tired of this cliche as well. Torres, Suarez, Alonso, C. Ronaldo, Silva, Tevez, Berbatov, Hernandez, Modric, van Nistelrooy, Henry, van der Vaart, Zola, Malouda, Nani, Fabregas and many many others were not "premiership proven" before coming to the prem, but it didn't stop them. I'm sure some people would be against signing Messi because he's not premiership proven. :FP:

Having said that, I'm not sure if I'd want Pirlo. He is not the player he used to be, and I'd rather sign a younger player who already is or at least will be what Pirlo used to be.

None of the players you mentioned in your first para were in their 30s when they moved to the Prem.

Seanosdelgardo
19-5-11, 13:52

I'm not waving the banner for signing Pirlo in the slightest, but I find your reasoning of "not premiership proven" in regards to not signing a world cup winning, two time Champions league winning and twice Serie A champion....******* hysterical.

:)

GottaWearShades
19-5-11, 13:53
I'm really tired of this cliche as well. Torres, Suarez, Alonso, C. Ronaldo, Silva, Tevez, Berbatov, Hernandez, Modric, van Nistelrooy, Henry, van der Vaart, Zola, Malouda, Nani, Fabregas and many many others were not "premiership proven" before coming to the prem, but it didn't stop them. I'm sure some people would be against signing Messi because he's not premiership proven.

Me too. Torres was actually Prem Proven when he went to Chelsea and look how that is going so far. Keane was prem proven. So was Bent when he went to Spurs. And Konch for that matter - regular starter in a solid Prem team.

But like you I don't find that an argument for Pirlo.

lauriantero
19-5-11, 13:57
None of the players you mentioned in your first para were in their 30s when they moved to the Prem.

I know, which is why I'm not sure it would be a good signing. But the "not prem proven" argument is still silly.

I'm not waving the banner for signing Pirlo in the slightest, but I find your reasoning of "not premiership proven" in regards to not signing a world cup winning, two time Champions league winning and twice Serie A champion....******* hysterical.

This.

BAlmeida
19-5-11, 13:59

By Not Premiership Proven, I am not knocking his talent or what he has achieved in his career elsewhere, but that I don't believe he has either the physicality or pace to succeed in the Premiership. Especially given his age, the fact that even by Italian standards he is considered slow. Doesn't speak English. Will command large wages....etc. The list of negatives far outweigh the positives, and I think it would be too huge a gamble to currently take. If our squad/team was currently good enough to challenge for a top 4/Champions position then maybe, but we need more than that and so I think it's a no-no!!:IN:

redhoops
19-5-11, 14:00
wouldnt be the worst bosman signing ever.

would help develope our great kids, or hold back their first team chances?
could be great or a joe cole expensive error.

guess ALL signings a gamble?

Eddes
19-5-11, 14:00
Pirlo had immense quality but just like those clammering previously for us to sign Seedorf the people asking for Pirlo are wrong.

It is just too late, he is too old and too slow, he would be eaten alive in the Premiership.We need young, energetic players who will develop not people who have done it previously but just dont have it anymore.

OLI1879
19-5-11, 14:07
Pirlo had immense quality but just like those clammering previously for us to sign Seedorf the people asking for Pirlo are wrong.

It is just too late, he is too old and too slow, he would be eaten alive in the Premiership.We need young, energetic players who will develop not people who have done it previously but just dont have it anymore.

Yes but how old was Seedorf then? Wasn't he like 36? Totally different, most players are still at their peak fitness at 31.

lauriantero
19-5-11, 14:13
By Not Premiership Proven, I am not knocking his talent or what he has achieved in his career elsewhere, but that I don't believe he has either the physicality or pace to succeed in the Premiership. Especially given his age, the fact that even by Italian standards he is considered slow. Doesn't speak English. Will command large wages....etc. The list of negatives far outweigh the positives, and I think it would be too huge a gamble to currently take. If our squad/team was currently good enough to challenge for a top 4/Champions position then maybe, but we need more than that and so I think it's a no-no!!:IN:

Given his age, you might be right. It would be difficult for him to adapt, especially as he has gone down from his prime already.

But the point me and a few other were making, that he is not prem proven is a bad argument as such. At his prime he would probably would have done well anywhere in the world. Just like Silva and are doing very well at the moment despite people saying they're too light weight for the prem before they came. And there are many other examples of this.

lauriantero
19-5-11, 14:17

On the other hand, Kaka is not exactly setting the world on fire at Real Madrid, but I doubt people are saying it's because he can't adapt to La Liga. And Torres, a premiership proven player, is currently pants at Chelsea. Sometimes moving to a new club things just don't work out for you for whatever reason, but generally a good player is a good player where ever he goes.

We need to get rid of this myth that prem is unique among football leagues, and that continental players struggle there. It has been proven wrong by many players (16 of which I listed in my previous post, and there are several others).

OLI1879
19-5-11, 14:30
I am getting seriously annoyed now at people talking as though he is an old man! he is 31 ffs! not 40! He was never fast anyway.

lauriantero
19-5-11, 14:42
I am getting seriously annoyed now at people talking as though he is an old man! he is 31 ffs! not 40! He was never fast anyway.

For me it's not so much the age, but the fact his career seems to be on decline. It looks like he is past his best, and considering he is over 30, there are no guarantees he would ever find his old form again.

You are right in that there are many players who are still great at the age of 31 and still have many good years ahead of them. I would not be against buying somebody of that age if I felt they still had something to give, and I think it would be stupid to do so. Xavi is just one year younger than Pirlo, and if he was available, everybody would want him.

But I'm not sure about Pirlo. It could work out, but it would be a risk.

Sawyenara
19-5-11, 14:45
He's sure to stay in Italy, mark my words!! Forget it

OLI1879
19-5-11, 14:50
For me it's not so much the age, but the fact his career seems to be on decline. It looks like he is past his best, and considering he is over 30, there are no guarantees he would ever find his old form again.

You are right in that there are many players who are still great at the age of 31 and still have many good years ahead of them. I would not be against buying somebody of that age if I felt they still had something to give, and I think it would be stupid to do so. Xavi is just one year younger than Pirlo, and if he was available, everybody would want him.

But I'm not sure about Pirlo. It could work out, but it would be a risk.

Just noticed its Pirlo's birthday today so he is actually 32. Happy Birthday Pirlo.

OLI1879
19-5-11, 14:50
He's sure to stay in Italy, mark my words!! Forget it

Why has he quite Milan though if he wants to stay in Italy?

Parrant
20-5-11, 01:43
Cant handle pressure
Misses penalties in CL finals :D

No Thanks

Heighway501
21-5-11, 02:17
Supposedly he will be going to Juve. If so, then maybe that's it for Aquaman in Turin. What now for Aquaman?

Venks
21-5-11, 02:37
Supposedly he will be going to Juve. If so, then maybe that's it for Aquaman in Turin. What now for Aquaman?

I was hoping Kenny would help him achieve his true potential..
He fits into the pass and move philosophy quite well.

Alpha Papa
21-5-11, 02:41
Who said we had a pass and move philosophy?

And who ever saw Aqua move?

Captain Mauser
21-5-11, 02:51

And Gerrard...

MaradonaTheGreatest
21-5-11, 03:08
No thanks! He's a tortoise! Haven't heard the name Keisuke Honda in a long time. He's the type of quality we need. Sign him up Kenny. Quality, quality, quality.

KOPGIRL1971
21-5-11, 11:18
Old, no Prem experience, so by the time he's settled it will be time for him to leave, no thanks

We have to be looking at building a dynasty, not an old fogeys farm

redhoops
21-5-11, 11:19
Old, no Prem experience, so by the time he's settled it will be time for him to leave, no thanks

loved the farm

all together now

KOPGIRL1971
21-5-11, 11:21
loved the farm

all together now

...in no-man's land (where the mancs will be next season :))

charlesbukowski
21-5-11, 11:33
Far from being my prefered option but I have a lot of genuine Milan fans on my timeline and they all still rate him very highly. Passing out stats how he's still having an important impact on their play.

lauriantero
24-5-11, 19:56
It's official now. Pirlo moves to Juve. I wonder if he's a replacement of Aquilani, or a complement.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2011/05/24/2501862/breaking-news-andrea-pirlo-joins-juventus-on-three-year-contract-http://

-CADS-
24-5-11, 20:00
It's official now. Pirlo moves to Juve. I wonder if he's a replacement of Aquilani, or a complement.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2011/05/24/2501862/breaking-news-andrea-pirlo-joins-juventus-on-three-year-contract-http://

It'd be a truly desperate move from Juve if he's a replacement. A reflection of how far they've fallen if he's in the first team next year. Great at his peak but there's a reason why Milan didn't renew his contract.

Fowi
24-5-11, 20:19
It shows how dire things are at Juve when they're signing players deemed over the hill by Milan.

Brego
24-5-11, 20:32
It shows how dire things are at Juve when they're signing players deemed over the hill by Milan.

Were in no position to laugh after signing a dud last summer deemed surplus to requirements at chelsea

lauriantero
24-5-11, 20:37

That's why I was so surprised with the rumours linking Aguero to Juve. Why the hell would he want to go there, and how the hell would Juve afford him?

FIOS
24-5-11, 20:40
That's why I was so surprised with the rumours linking Aguero to Juve. Why the hell would he want to go there, and how the hell would Juve afford him?

It's the Everton way. Link yourselves with enough big names to try to make it appear like you are still a big club. Then bid slightly less for a player the day after he's already signed for his new club just to make sure.

OLI1879
28-6-12, 21:31
Some of these replies seem quite comical now. Over the hill. Past it. etc :FP:

Also this one:

Cant handle pressure
Misses penalties in CL finals :D

No Thanks

:D I love hindsight.

DiscoDjimi
28-6-12, 21:44

:D

GiorgosCarraGoonies
28-6-12, 21:50
Good player.

lfcstlouis
28-6-12, 21:52
Good player.

We should sign him.

GiorgosCarraGoonies
28-6-12, 21:53
We should sign him.

Nah, not Prem proven, and Gerrard can do his role just as well.

herp derp

LovelyCushionedHeader
28-6-12, 21:56

Juventus finished the 2011/12 season unbeaten and winning Serie A, hindsight is an amusing tool at times.

lfcstlouis
28-6-12, 21:56

herp derp

Oh man, picture both of them in the midfield. Just bossing the game.

Would be choice!

lfcstlouis
28-6-12, 21:57
Juventus finished the 2011/12 season unbeaten and winning Serie A, hindsight is an amusing tool at times.

You're an amusing tool all the time.

Kloppette
28-6-12, 21:57
Had a great Tourny, always has been a quality player. Not sure he could handle the Prem in that role, not week in week out anyway, which is the reason he would not come here. Internationally in his role for Italy is ideal for him and his ideal pace.

GiorgosCarraGoonies
28-6-12, 21:59
Had a great Tourny, always has been a quality player. Not sure he could handle the Prem in that role, not week in week out anyway, which is the reason he would not come here. Internationally in his role for Italy is ideal for him and his ideal pace.

You're right, I think he'd be bossed by Lee Cattermole and Shaun Derry.

CrawleyRed
28-6-12, 21:59
Been fantastic and was player of the season at Juve this year. Does get on my wick how people are jumping on the Pirlo bandwagon though, acting like he's only been world class since Sunday.

And if anyone else calls him 'Peerless Pirlo' I'm going to jam a fork in my own eye!

OLI1879
28-6-12, 22:00

Disagree, I still maintain he would be quality in the Prem. There would have been a hell of a lot less Xabi threads if we had signed him last season.

SweetSilverSeven
28-6-12, 22:03
Love watching the artist at work..... :o

SweetSilverSeven
28-6-12, 22:04

Such technical quality overrides physicality every day of the week

SalahDressing
28-6-12, 22:05
Masterclass.

Kloppette
28-6-12, 22:05
Disagree, I still maintain he would be quality in the Prem. There would have been a hell of a lot less Xabi threads if we had signed him last season.

I think even he knows he wouldn't like it in the Prem

ein92
28-6-12, 22:06
Such technical quality overrides physicality every day of the week

This. I hate that 'can't handle the PL' argument. It's getting old.

GiorgosCarraGoonies
28-6-12, 22:07

Don't be silly, now.

Scott Parker is the embodiment of the "English mentality", and he couldn't even get close enough to tackle him. Pirlo is class, and the Premier League isn't as difficult as some people believe it is.

SalahDressing
28-6-12, 22:10
Pirlo could easily play in the Prem. Just because he doesn't want to, don't think he couldn't.

OLI1879
28-6-12, 22:10

Because he had such a torrid time against all those English and Irish premiership players ? You're right , he must have nightmares about it.

lfcstlouis
28-6-12, 22:12
I just don't think Italians like to play outside of Italy. Homesick, style, call it what you will, you just don't see a lot of top class Italians playing in other leagues.

(waits for someone to bring up 1 exception to the rule)

Kloppette
28-6-12, 22:13
Because he had such a torrid time against all those English and Irish premiership players ? You're right , he must have nightmares about it.

Its the reason he hasn't in his career or has shown an interest in playing in the Prem, he isn't going to want to now at his age.

GiorgosCarraGoonies
28-6-12, 22:14
I just don't think Italians like to play outside of Italy. Homesick, style, call it what you will, you just don't see a lot of top class Italians playing in other leagues.

Rossi, Balotelli.

Not one, but two

OLI1879
28-6-12, 22:15

Same as wth English, it's not really the point though, there are plenty who have played and done well abroad.

SweetSilverSeven
Its the reason he hasn't in his career or has shown an interest in playing in the Prem, he isn't going to want to now at his age.

That's because he has always played for top Italian teams

GiorgosCarraGoonies

Or perhaps the reason was that he was playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world and, when he left them, he moved to another club arguably as big.

RedManannan
28-6-12, 22:16
Does anyone else think that he, like Gerrard, is playing like it could be his last ever major international championship?

lfcstlouis
28-6-12, 22:18
Rossi, Balotelli.

Not one, but two

True. Forgot about Dossena as well.

Kloppette
28-6-12, 22:18

We have seen a lot though, Vialli, Zola, Berti, D Baggio, Carbone, D Canio, Di Mateo, Eranio, Festa, Macheda, Pistone, Silenzi, Ravanelli amongst other lesser players.

Jean-Ralphio
28-6-12, 22:19
Really love the way he plays, so composed.
If he has space, he picks the right pass, if he's closed down he waits for his opponent to make a move and then walks into space. Players are too scared to close him down...

OLI1879

No its not, how do you know the reason? he probably just likes it in Italy.

Thats like saying Ryan Giggs has showed no interest in playing in Spain, He must know he would hate it there and be rubbish, its the only explanation.:D

Are you on a wind up?:confused:

lfcstlouis
We have seen a lot though, Vialli, Zola, Berti, D Baggio, Carbone, D Canio, Di Mateo, Eranio, Festa, Macheda, Pistone, Silenzi, Ravanelli amongst other lesser players.

I'm pretty sure you're just naming different styles of pasta now.

DiscoDjimi
28-6-12, 22:20

Why wouldn't he thrive against crappy English midfielders? :confused:

Genuine talent will always triumph.

Only reason he never came to England was because he played for Milan, one of the greatest clubs in the world.

OLI1879
28-6-12, 22:21
Does anyone else think that he, like Gerrard, is playing like it could be his last ever major international championship?

Not really, he has been fantastic all season apparently.

SalahDressing
28-6-12, 22:21

If his family are settled in Italy, he is playing for a club in Milan who are consistently challenging for honors (domestically and in Europe) than why would he want to leave? Then when he leaves Milan, he has a big club who are challenging for honors in his own country so there is no need to relocate and then when he joins, he leads them to the league title and into the Champions League in his first season.

He has never needed or wanted to play abroad and he isn't going to be bothered by whether people think he can do it in another country when he is counting his medals at the end of his illustrious career.

pete752
28-6-12, 22:25

The England Italy game must have passed you by..yeah, Scott Parker will own Pirlo day in day out in the PL :rolleyes:

DiscoDjimi
28-6-12, 22:28
The England Italy game must have passed you by..yeah, Scott Parker will own Pirlo day in day out in the PL :rolleyes:

Scott Parker is the greatest midfielder of our generation

He wears black football boots and sprints for 90 minutes, like the hero he is.

Jean-Ralphio
28-6-12, 22:38
Scott Parker is the greatest midfielder of our generation

He wears black football boots and sprints for 90 minutes, like the hero he is.

Peter Parker.

Kloppette
28-6-12, 22:51

Lucas would own him !!

I am saying that at his age he would not come to play in the Prem, he has not ever wanted to in the past. Some players reveal such things in interviews e.t.c but Pirlo has never shown any desire to do so.

GiorgosCarraGoonies
28-6-12, 22:54
Lucas would own him !!

I am saying that at his age he would not come to play in the Prem, he has not ever wanted to in the past. Some players reveal such things in interviews e.t.c but Pirlo has never shown any desire to do so.

Messi has never shown any desire to play in the mighty Premiership.

Bottler.

OLI1879
28-6-12, 22:58
Lucas would own him !!

No one is saying he is coming to the prem just that he would be awesome.

Paulite
28-6-12, 23:00

Classic Koppette.

Alon1
28-6-12, 23:05
He wouldn't like it in the PL, he would probably get bored and leave.

Kloppette
28-6-12, 23:09
No one is saying he is coming to the prem just that he would be awesome.

I thought the discussion was getting Pirlo on a free ??

prredhouse
28-6-12, 23:11
The player of the tournament... Brilliant dig out, some of the original comments are comical.:D

OLI1879
28-6-12, 23:17
I thought the discussion was getting Pirlo on a free ??

The original thread was made when he confirmed that he would be leaving Milan last summer and whether he would be a good signing for us. Whether he would come here or not isn't really the point?

Kloppette
28-6-12, 23:20
The original thread was made when he confirmed that he would be leaving Milan last summer and whether he would be a good signing for us. Whether he would come here or not isn't really the point?

Oh my bad I didn't read the dates of the thread

stano123
28-6-12, 23:30

Thats why i usually stay out of threats about footballers i know very little about, because i would have probably said the same about being past it, it was shameless bump but deffo one worth doing for a giggle.

Good call.

Fowi
29-6-12, 07:44

Absolutely. He's had a fantastic season. All credit to Conte for being able to spot a way to get the best out of Pirlo at his age and to Pirlo who simply woke up after a change of clubs. Probably the best player in Seria A last season alongside Ibra and has carried it into the Euros.

I certainly didn't think he'd return so strongly when he went to Juventus.

Thespian
29-6-12, 07:51
If Alonso can do well in the Prem then I'm sure Pirlo can.

Captain Mauser
29-6-12, 07:52

herp derp

I actual man-love you for this post :D

Fowi
29-6-12, 07:54
If Alonso can do well in the Prem then I'm sure Pirlo can.

If he was 23 there is no doubt that he would be awesome. Even now he would, but he wouldn't last long obviously.

RiiseAgainst
29-6-12, 07:56
Love when these threads get bumped and I haven't posted in them. :D

Dont-Funk-With-The-Sakho
29-6-12, 08:03
Pirlo looks like a 70s prog rock star.... and he plays football like one too

Thespian
29-6-12, 08:06
Pirlo looks like a 70s prog rock star.... and he plays football like one too

http://www.clashmusic.com/files/imagecache/big_node_view/files/images/spinal_tap_wideweb__470x4610.jpg

Dont-Funk-With-The-Sakho
29-6-12, 08:16
http://www.clashmusic.com/files/imagecache/big_node_view/files/images/spinal_tap_wideweb__470x4610.jpg

Fowi
29-6-12, 08:16
His actual surname is Pirla, but since that means a penis in Italian his father - who is a gypsy - had to change it to Pirlo.

domino
29-6-12, 08:20

Fowi wrong again.

Fowi
29-6-12, 08:29
Fowi wrong again.

Yes, I'm not always right.

Seanosdelgardo
29-6-12, 08:32
Fowi wrong again.

Your obsession with trying to show up Higgy and Fowi is getting worse..

RiiseAgainst
29-6-12, 08:34
Fowi wrong again.

Seriously?

domino
29-6-12, 08:35
Yes, I'm not always right.

Every single thread like this that gets bumped there is always a :FP: Fowi comment.

You never fail to deliver.

domino
29-6-12, 08:35
Your obsession with trying to show up Higgy and Fowi is getting worse..

Your miserable *******ness is getting worse as well.

Fowi
29-6-12, 08:36
Every single thread like this that gets bumped there is always a :FP: Fowi comment.

You never fail to deliver.

Perhaps you should look up my views on several other Juventus players this season. Views from about 3 years ago when people like you had no idea they exist.

Seanosdelgardo
29-6-12, 08:38

Quite happy actually, mostly because I'm laughing at you. :)

Alon1
29-6-12, 09:29
Fowi wrong again.

That looked the case last summer, the last two seasons of Pirlo at Milan were quite mediocre, i don't remember him being of any use to Italy when they were riduculised in the WC either.
Good for him that he has found his form again specially at this age but let's not pretend he was playing like that 2 years ago.

Seanosdelgardo
29-6-12, 09:31
That looked the case last summer, the last two seasons of Pirlo at Milan were quite mediocre, i don't remember him being of any use to Italy when they were riduculised in the WC either.
Good for him that he has found his form again specially at this age but let's not pretend he was playing like that 2 years ago.

dom gets pwned.

domino
29-6-12, 09:48
Quite happy actually, mostly because I'm laughing at you. :)

Bless.

domino
29-6-12, 09:49

What difference does any of that make?

Fowi was still wrong.

domino
29-6-12, 09:50
dom gets pwned.

erm, well not really.

But if you're happy laughing at the internet who I am to spoil it.

RiiseAgainst
29-6-12, 09:56

But if you're happy laughing at the internet who I am to spoil it.

Make up your mind.

Alon1
29-6-12, 10:02

Fowi was still wrong.

He was but what he said in that post wasn't ilogical.
everyone gets it wrong sometimes, you can't control how a player is going to perform, this not rocket science.

domino
29-6-12, 10:08
He was but what he said in that post wasn't ilogical.
everyone gets it wrong sometimes, you can't control how a player is going to perform, this not rocket science.

So I said he was wrong, and he was wrong?

Spendid. Glad we cleared it up.

RogerHuntelaar
29-6-12, 10:14
THe last page of this thread... (http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/9975769.jpg)

dreams-come-true
29-6-12, 10:22
Played a game with 3 other central midfielders to help out .... Marchisio, Montolivo, and de Rossi ...... so, like being surrounded by body guards .....

I sort of expected one of Kroos or Khedira to mark the guy ..... but Montolivo is also able to deliver a pass ...... and Hummels should not have let Cassano turn him for the first goal. Pirlo is good. Very good. But it is a team performance at the end of it all. And he is a very important part of the mix.

Liverdinner
29-6-12, 10:32

Fowi was still wrong.

*Don't take this away from me god dammit *

That said, I chuckled.

Liverdinner
29-6-12, 10:34
Played a game with 3 other central midfielders to help out .... Marchisio, Montolivo, and de Rossi ...... so, like being surrounded by body guards .....

I sort of expected one of Kroos or Khedira to mark the guy ..... but Montolivo is also able to deliver a pass ...... and Hummels should not have let Cassano turn him for the first goal. Pirlo is good. Very good. But it is a team performance at the end of it all. And he is a very important part of the mix.

Was very impressed with Montolivio this tournament. Great eye for a pass and looks to join the attack.

Sort of like the player I hoped Aquilani would be for us.

Marchisio looked interesting at times too.

RiiseAgainst
29-6-12, 10:44

This isn't a thread about Italy v Germany..

dreams-come-true
29-6-12, 10:49
This isn't a thread about Italy v Germany..

No ... its about Italy's Pirlo ...... who is allowed to play good football in a system which protects him enough to be able to do it.

Syndicato
29-6-12, 11:37
I'm no fowi defender but this is true- he may have said that when it actually was true. Pirlo appeared to be going downhill at the time- it's the same stuff with the Lucas/henderson thingy- when Lucas was bad, my goodness, he was very very poor. He turned it around and now the same scenario is being used for henderson who may not turn it around like Lucas did.

Catch mah drift?

GiorgosCarraGoonies
29-6-12, 11:54
I actual man-love you for this post :D

Love when these threads get bumped and I haven't posted in them. :D

Me too, I didn't have e-Season when this thread was made, which is good for me as I thought his powers were diminishing too :o

LucasAintDancin
29-6-12, 11:59
The early replies were epic :D

RiiseAgainst
29-6-12, 13:06
No ... its about Italy's Pirlo ...... who is allowed to play good football in a system which protects him enough to be able to do it.

But what are you trying to say with that? You pretty much just gave a match report.

pete752
29-6-12, 13:26

It does not take anything away from Pirlo though? Systems and formations are over rated...if it is as simple as stopping Pirlo by putting two men on him, other teams would have already done it..the problem is, it is not as simple as that..Germany had a three man midfield..still couldn't stop Pirlo from playing his game. You have to give the man due credit where it is due.

dreams-come-true
29-6-12, 13:48
It does not take anything away from Pirlo though? Systems and formations are over rated...if it is as simple as stopping Pirlo by putting two men on him, other teams would have already done it..the problem is, it is not as simple as that..Germany had a three man midfield..still couldn't stop Pirlo from playing his game. You have to give the man due credit where it is due.

Pirlo is very good. I dont doubt that one bit. But I have to also consider that he has good men around him ..... one of whom can deliver the ball just as well as he does .... Montolivo. You can not have a team which is reliant on only one player and the Italian midfield is a very strong one. This was the surprise to me when they played Germany.
They seem to have come good at the right time of the tournament ..... I must admit, I didn't see it coming.

Kloppstachio
29-6-12, 13:56
If someone had told me that the player of this tournament so far would be Pirlo and not Oezil, Gerrard, Xavi, Iniesta or Fabregas, I would have still dismissed their opinion as crap; regardless of the excellent season he had with Juve.

Giving the man his due, there was a point in yesterday's game when Pirlo made two German midfielders (might have been Khedira & Kroos) look like newbies to the youth squad being schooled by the a senior team member on the art of ball retention. :D

Scrams
29-6-12, 13:57
Pirlo makes the game look so easy.

Seanosdelgardo
29-6-12, 14:56
The winner of funniest post by a country mile though is this one.

A player that could well be going cheap and plays a similar position though is Villa's Bannan. Has really impressed me when I've seen him.

Bringing up Barry Bannan in a conversation about the merits of Pirlo, even last year, is simply unbelievable.

Alon1
29-6-12, 15:21
The winner of funniest post by a country mile though is this one.

Bringing up Barry Bannan in a conversation about the merits of Pirlo, even last year, is simply unbelievable.

jeez, that was a shocker from WFM

RogerHuntelaar
29-6-12, 15:23

Bannan is/was his new Pacheco. ;)

lfcstlouis
29-6-12, 15:24

I wish I knew how to use the search function.

RogerHuntelaar
29-6-12, 15:27
I wish I knew how to use the search function.

No-one does, it's completely broken since the update. :(

Alon1
29-6-12, 15:28

he comes up with some funny things at times, he is obssesed with young players.

Seanosdelgardo
29-6-12, 15:30

Speaking of which is he still on our books?

If so I sit in wait of the WFMM thread entitled "Pacheco could flourish under Rodgers".

Seanosdelgardo
29-6-12, 15:31
No-one does, it's completely broken since the update. :(

it works ok now. You just have to make sure you click on "Search single content type" at the top.

RogerHuntelaar
29-6-12, 15:32
Speaking of which is he still on our books?

If so I sit in wait of the WFMM thread entitled "Pacheco could flourish under Rodgers".

Think he is. On loan now, will probably be back soon.

No, no, he'd make the thread title less obvious. He'd start a thread about young players under Rodgers and talk almost only about Pacheco. :p Good poster, mind.

RogerHuntelaar
29-6-12, 15:33
it works ok now. You just have to make sure you click on "Search single content type" at the top.

It does? But I think they deleted a lot of old threads. :(

Nine-Eight-Nine
29-6-12, 16:55
Pirlo's C.V photo - Click (http://coolalbumreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Mick_Jagger4.jpg)

carraforcaptain
29-6-12, 17:30
Never really use this word but lol. Not saying my opinion would've been any more accurate than most but it is funny to see hindsight **** all over what people thought were accurate assessments.

WindyShepherdHenderson
29-6-12, 17:33

I wonder why Kopgirl changed her name? Shake off the xenophobe tag?

Hmmm...

Jean-Ralphio
29-6-12, 21:48
Reminds me of Professor Snape, an intellectual on the pitch.

Liver-Devil
29-6-12, 22:07
Pirlo is a functioning part of the squad for Italia.
It's Spain versus Italia this Sunday for the euros.

KeemI
29-6-12, 22:37
But what are you trying to say with that? You pretty much just gave a match report.

I didn't know you had become a mod.

old-school
30-6-12, 18:50
A lot of experts in here I see

RiiseAgainst
1-7-12, 03:15
I didn't know you had become a mod.

:confused:

AntHovaman
21-6-14, 12:00
Brilliant thread with so many 'knowledgable' posters

RedGeezer85
21-6-14, 12:07
Brilliant thread with so many 'knowledgable' posters

I didn't post in here but find it weird why you've bumped a thread this old?

Point scoring?

RedGeezer85
21-6-14, 12:10

No.

He's not world class.

Although I admit that I enjoyed these ^^^^^

AntHovaman
21-6-14, 13:30
Although I admit that I enjoyed these ^^^^^

So did I

Alpha1471
21-6-14, 13:55
He's obviously still a very good player but a lot of the criticisms that have been made about Gerrard would also be made about Pirlo. Even in his younger days, he was never an athlete and didn't provide much in the way of defensive cover. I think his success for Italy has partly been due to them being able to successfully accommodate him into their system, unlike England and Gerrard, for example.

RedGeezer85
21-6-14, 13:58
He's obviously still a very good player but a lot of the criticisms that have been made about Gerrard would also be made about Pirlo. Even in his younger days, he was never an athlete and didn't provide much in the way of defensive cover. I think his success for Italy has partly been due to them being able to successfully accommodate him into their system, unlike England and Gerrard, for example.

I think Pirlo is just so good on the ball they play 'water carriers' around him in midfield.

He doesn't have to do any of the dirty work & can just concentrate on destroying the opposition offensively.

Hendo does similar for SG for us (Liverpool).

I guess Can will do similar.

Alpha1471
21-6-14, 14:18
I think Pirlo is just so good on the ball they play 'water carriers' around him in midfield.

He doesn't have to do any of the dirty work & can just concentrate on destroying the opposition offensively.

Hendo does similar for SG for us (Liverpool).

I guess Can will do similar.

But then you're still conceding that his success depends on various factors being set up in his favour. I'm not suggesting this makes him a bad player, but I do find it slightly ironic that everyone starts waxing lyrical about Pirlo again just as Gerrard is being judged as off the pace and past it. It may be that Pirlo plays the role more effectively than Gerrard, but these days they also share a lot of the same weaknesses. Hodgson just hasn't been able to set up the England side in way so as to get the best out of Stevie, amongst other players.

Liverdinner
21-6-14, 19:26
Verratti is not a water carrier, De Rossi perhaps could be seen as one.

They use the ball so well, that's why it works imo. He is epic.

Alpha1471
21-6-14, 20:14
Verratti is not a water carrier, De Rossi perhaps could be seen as one.

They use the ball so well, that's why it works imo. He is epic.

And yet they were arguable the worse team against england, while putting in a very poor showing against Costa Rica.

Alon1
21-6-14, 20:18
But then you're still conceding that his success depends on various factors being set up in his favour. I'm not suggesting this makes him a bad player, but I do find it slightly ironic that everyone starts waxing lyrical about Pirlo again just as Gerrard is being judged as off the pace and past it. It may be that Pirlo plays the role more effectively than Gerrard, but these days they also share a lot of the same weaknesses. Hodgson just hasn't been able to set up the England side in way so as to get the best out of Stevie, amongst other players.

If you would play Gerrard instead of Pirlo in Italy he would still be miles behind Pirlo's quality in that position. Saying that, Pirlo has paid in that position forever while Gerrard has ended up there by accident.

The Parish
22-6-14, 11:06
Three years have gone by and he's been world class in every one of them and shows no signs of stopping.

Alpha1471
22-6-14, 11:57
If you would play Gerrard instead of Pirlo in Italy he would still be miles behind Pirlo's quality in that position. Saying that, Pirlo has paid in that position forever while Gerrard has ended up there by accident.

I'm not sure exactly how many miles he would be behind Pirlo. I also think that if you asked Pirlo to play Gerrard's role in this England team he would struggle.

Liverdinner
22-6-14, 12:05
And yet they were arguable the worse team against england, while putting in a very poor showing against Costa Rica.

I think the game was pretty even, I wouldn't say either side was worse.

They had a bad game vs Costa Rica, it happens. Tbh I think they have one body too many in that midfield and could get rid of Marchisio, Verratti or De Rossi, in order to add an attacking player.

PjanicAtTheIsco
20-2-15, 20:36
Just scored an outrageously tasty goal v Atalanta, anyone else catch it?

PjanicAtTheIsco
20-2-15, 20:43
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hoxt9_goal-pirlo-juventus-2-1-atalanta-serie-a-20-02-2015-hd_sport

OLI1879
20-2-15, 21:02
Hey my old Pirlo thread!

Nice to see him still going 4 years after being written off as too old by the majority. :IN:

Link doesn't work for me btw.

Binomial
20-2-15, 21:03
unbelievable goal tonight

top teams can easily turn games on their heads

PjanicAtTheIsco
20-2-15, 21:08
Hey my old Pirlo thread!

Nice to see him still going 4 years after being written off as too old by the majority. :IN:

Link doesn't work for me btw.

Looks like it got taken down.
Try this, although it's better from another angle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7wVuWNh-kg

Better angle :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABgkrAHo1g

PjanicAtTheIsco
20-2-15, 21:09
unbelievable goal tonight

top teams can easily turn games on their heads

Aye. It was the nonchalance of him after scoring that amused me, just so casual.

Vortigen
20-2-15, 21:35
Looks like it got taken down.
Try this, although it's better from another angle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7wVuWNh-kg

Better angle :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABgkrAHo1g

He made that look so effortless. Ridiculous.

Gegenpressing
20-2-15, 21:42
OK, I'll put the cat amongst the pigeons... In their prime, if you had to choose one to play for Liverpool now... Pirlo or Alonso?

aylesbyred
20-2-15, 21:43
Alonso

I think....

Horrible question !!

Gegenpressing
20-2-15, 21:46
Alonso

I think....

Horrible question !!

Alonso for me. Both great players but Alonso is better defensively, IMO.

PjanicAtTheIsco
20-2-15, 23:29
Alonso for me. Both great players but Alonso is better defensively, IMO.

What stage of these players careers do you consider their peak?

Liverdinner
20-2-15, 23:35
Pirlo easily.

Far superior player imo. Just a master of the game and rivaled only by Xavi in recent years imo.

Alon1
20-2-15, 23:40
OK, I'll put the cat amongst the pigeons... In their prime, if you had to choose one to play for Liverpool now... Pirlo or Alonso?

I don't think there is much between them and they didn't play the same role but Pirlo edges a bit for me, saying that we don't know how Pirlo would have played here while Alonso has done here, there and everywhere else.

Alon1
20-2-15, 23:41
Pirlo easily.

Far superior player imo. Just a master of the game and rivaled only by Xavi in recent years imo.

Xavi was better and that one is not even close.

Liverdinner
20-2-15, 23:44
Xavi was better and that one is not even close.

Rubbish.

Gegenpressing
20-2-15, 23:48
What stage of these players careers do you consider their peak?

To be honest... I don't know. I know they were/are both fantastic players.

Gegenpressing
21-2-15, 00:00
In that 2005 final... It was a treat watching both of them play. Although I only wanted Alonso to come through and be successful in that game, I can appreciate both of those players, when I watch it back now.

Alon1
21-2-15, 00:48
Rubbish.

History will say he was a lot of better whether you like it or not.

Liverdinner
21-2-15, 00:59
History will say he was a lot of better whether you like it or not.

What does that even mean? Who is this history bloke and his divine authority?

SomeKloppo
21-2-15, 01:18

He probably means that Xavi has been more successful

Liverdinner
21-2-15, 01:21
He probably means that Xavi has been more successful

Probably true.

Pirlo has a ****load of titles, a CL and a WC though, so not bad.

Scholes was better than both anyway, which Alon will love ;)

Rozay9
21-2-15, 02:08
Probably true.

Pirlo has a ****load of titles, a CL and a WC though, so not bad.

Scholes was better than both anyway, which Alon will love ;)

Xabi the same! But I do think Scholes all around is the best midfider I've ever seen hands down...

woodson
21-2-15, 04:20
You could argue stats to death, but I don't think there exists many players I'd rather watch than Pirlo. He just plays and sees the game on a higher level than most footballers.

Klopphopper
21-2-15, 07:08

31? The bloke is 35!!!! Soon to be 36!

grenny158
21-2-15, 07:17
31? The bloke is 35!!!! Soon to be 36!

Hiya TJ .. the post you quoted is 4 years old ;)

Alon1
21-2-15, 07:49

Medals are only a way to measure things but when you are a huge part of winning them then it is fair to give him the credit for it.

You mentioned the World Cup Italy won but was Pirlo really their main player?

You may remember it was Cannavaro and then probably Buffon. Let's be honest, before Pirlo destroyed England in that QF nobody gave a **** about him in England. He would hardly get a mentioning anywhere no even when he won the WC or the CL with Milan.

Alon1
21-2-15, 07:53
Schooles was pretty good in domestic competitions but for some reason or another (and I have heard some very funny excuses about that) the man just sucked when he played outside the country.
Let's put this way, in 20 years time a kid in Italy wouldn't know who Paul Schooles was unless he does some very good research and I think I am quite generous with the timing.
I m surprised you haven't mentioned Jack Wilshire yet.

Liverdinner
21-2-15, 08:10
Medals are only a way to measure things but when you are a huge part of winning them then it is fair to give him the credit for it.

You may remember it was Cannavaro and then probably Buffon. Let's be honest, before Pirlo destroyed England in that QF nobody gave a **** about him in England. He would hardly get a mentioning anywhere no even when he won the WC or the CL with Milan.

Perhaps not, but he didn't have Spain's golden generation around him and he was up against Zidane, not Nigel De Jong.

Schooles was pretty good in domestic competitions but for some reason or another (and I have heard some very funny excuses about that) the man just sucked when he played outside the country.
Let's put this way, in 20 years time a kid in Italy wouldn't know who Paul Schooles was unless he does some very good research and I think I am quite generous with the timing.
I m surprised you haven't mentioned Jack Wilshire yet.

I don't think he did suck outside domestic competitions. I mean, he has 2 CL medals. Last night I was watching him on youtube against Barca and Real Madrid in the late 90s and he was still phenomenal.

Funnily enough, Pirlo's reputation among kids in England is higher than Xavi's from what I have seen. I don't Xavi will be particularly remembered by a lot of young people here. It doesn't mean that much.

You wait till Wilshere gets past his injuries mate.

Scrams
21-2-15, 08:34
Xabi the same! But I do think Scholes all around is the best midfider I've ever seen hands down...

You havent seen many midfielders mate.;) Top of my head: Seedorf, Redondo, Xavi, Viera, are all better than Scholes.

tobitrice
21-2-15, 09:51

Yes he was, no doubt about it. Did you not watch Italy in world cup in 2006? Pirlo was Italy's man of the match in the semi-final and the final, as well as the highest number of assists for the team.

Alon1
21-2-15, 09:57
Yes he was, no doubt about it. Did you not watch Italy in world cup in 2006? Pirlo was Italy's man of the match in the semi-final and the final, as well as the highest number of assists for the team.

Yes, I watched it and Thats why I said Cannavaro and Buffoon were better. Pirlo the best man in games that Italy didn't control? I think is yourself who didn't watch it.

Alon1
21-2-15, 10:43
Perhaps not, but he didn't have Spain's golden generation around him and he was up against Zidane, not Nigel De Jong.

I don't think he did suck outside domestic competitions. I mean, he has 2 CL medals. Last night I was watching him on youtube against Barca and Real Madrid in the late 90s and he was still phenomenal.

Funnily enough, Pirlo's reputation among kids in England is higher than Xavi's from what I have seen. I don't Xavi will be particularly remembered by a lot of young people here. It doesn't mean that much.

Why Pirlo reputation in England would be higher? There is no reason for that at all except you have only watched a handful of games in your life and then those opinions are irrelevant anyway.

I will wait but I think at some point you will need to accept that perhaps Wilshere is not going to become the player you think he would.

tobitrice
21-2-15, 10:48
Yes, I watched it and Thats why I said Cannavaro and Buffoon were better. Pirlo the best man in games that Italy didn't control? I think is yourself who didn't watch it.

Winning without dominating. The mark of a great player :)

To be fair, France threatened more. The Germany game was 50:50.

Alon1
21-2-15, 10:59
Winning without dominating. The mark of a great player :)

To be fair, France threatened more. The Germany game was 50:50.

I would need to watch again the semis but I don't remember him being particularly dominant against the Germans and Germany had a pretty average team at the time.

The bottom line is Cannavaro won the player of the tournament, probably not undeservedly although that didn't make a particularly good reading for the tournament itself.

I am not quite sure whether he was even chosen in the team of the WC I would need to check that.

Binomial
21-2-15, 11:03

No.

He's not world class.

:PN:

LordJamieOfCarragher
21-2-15, 11:03
:PN:

Got a problem?

Binomial
21-2-15, 11:14
Got a problem?

uhh, no I believe not. in fact you're the 1 that must have the problem..I mean having to monitor every post of mine and that.

guess tables have turned considering the stick for posts I made years ago too.

then again I've never really known how these forums worked

carraforcaptain
21-2-15, 14:02
I think Alonso has been the best midfielder in the world since early on in his Madrid days. Wasn't anywhere near it for us, but he's been absolutely dominant for them and now Bayern.

Liverdinner
21-2-15, 19:11
Why Pirlo reputation in England would be higher? There is no reason for that at all except you have only watched a handful of games in your life and then those opinions are irrelevant anyway.

I will wait but I think at some point you will need to accept that perhaps Wilshere is not going to become the player you think he would.

I ranked them both equally. I'm saying that generally Pirlo is quite celebrated here among young people.

But interesting debate tactic :D

In fairness, if he hadn't had such big injuries.

Liverdinner
21-2-15, 19:16
I think Alonso has been the best midfielder in the world since early on in his Madrid days. Wasn't anywhere near it for us, but he's been absolutely dominant for them and now Bayern.

Do you genuinely think that?

carraforcaptain
21-2-15, 20:09
Do you genuinely think that?

Yep. Not seen him put in a performance at club level that wasn't a high 8 or 9 out of 10 for 4 years now.

Liverdinner
21-2-15, 20:12
Yep. Not seen him put in a performance at club level that wasn't a high 8 or 9 out of 10 for 4 years now.

Interesting.

Seemed to get spanked by Barca's midfield a lot in his early Madrid days.

carraforcaptain
21-2-15, 20:23
Interesting.

Seemed to get spanked by Barca's midfield a lot in his early Madrid days.

Madrid deliberately conceded the ball to Barca every time they played them back then.

Liverdinner
21-2-15, 20:41
Madrid deliberately conceded the ball to Barca every time they played them back then.

I don't think they had much choice tbh.

carraforcaptain
21-2-15, 20:47
I don't think they had much choice tbh.

No, but Alonso wasn't the reason for that. Barca had players in every position who would not ever give the ball away and the only real way to play against it was to sit behind the ball until you got an opportunity to get out. From front to back, Alonso was probably the only player from Madrid that could've played in that Barca team (they had plenty who were 'good' enough, but that Barca team was built on a dogged insistence to never give away the ball, and Madrid were not that type of team, so you couldn't really expect them to play Barca at their own game).

Liverdinner
21-2-15, 20:49
No, but Alonso wasn't the reason for that. Barca had players in every position who would not ever give the ball away and the only real way to play against it was to sit behind the ball until you got an opportunity to get out. From front to back, Alonso was probably the only player from Madrid that could've played in that Barca team (they had plenty who were 'good' enough, but that Barca team was built on a dogged insistence to never give away the ball, and Madrid were not that type of team, so you couldn't really expect them to play Barca at their own game).

I don't think he would have displaced anybody in the Barca midfield.

He was just up against better midfielders imo. Though in fairness, they didn't always get outplayed there.

carraforcaptain
21-2-15, 20:52
I don't think he would have displaced anybody in the Barca midfield.

He was just up against better midfielders imo. Though in fairness, they didn't always get outplayed there.

He would've easily displaced Busquets. Even Xavi said that he'd have wanted Alonso at the time. And he was against a better midfield. But not better midfielders though it's hard to compare him to Iniesta and Xavi, given the different roles). Anyway, I know my view on this is a bit controversial, but I'm willing to bet it'll come into fashion in a couple of years when he's still running the midfield for Bayern.

Liverdinner
21-2-15, 20:56
He would've easily displaced Busquets. Even Xavi said that he'd have wanted Alonso at the time. And he was against a better midfield. But not better midfielders though it's hard to compare him to Iniesta and Xavi, given the different roles). Anyway, I know my view on this is a bit controversial, but I'm willing to bet it'll come into fashion in a couple of years when he's still running the midfield for Bayern.

Aw no way. Busquets was just phenomenal for them. They never had a rock solid back four but he shielded them incredibly well.

Is he really so different from Xavi? They're not exactly the same, but it seems you see Alonso as more of a defensive shielder, is that right?

carraforcaptain
21-2-15, 21:08
Aw no way. Busquets was just phenomenal for them. They never had a rock solid back four but he shielded them incredibly well.

Is he really so different from Xavi? They're not exactly the same, but it seems you see Alonso as more of a defensive shielder, is that right?

Busquets is and was great, but I think part of the reason he was so solid on the defensive side of things for them was because they had such a solid structure (with everything they couldn't close out getting funnelled towards Busquets) that he could rely on his positional abilities without ever having his physicality tested. Alonso is similarly good positionally, so I think he'd have been as effective for them on the defensive side of things. And added to that he has a much better long passing game than Busquets.

Him and Xavi are sort of similar, but Xavi has always been a cm in front of somebody linking between the defence and attack whereas Alonso plays at the base of the midfield. His long passing game makes it look a bit different, but I think the role he's sent out to play is more like Busquets' than Xavi's (controlling the tempo, linking the defence and midfield and shielding the back 4 from the base of the midfield).

Liverdinner
21-2-15, 21:14
Busquets is and was great, but I think part of the reason he was so solid on the defensive side of things for them was because they had such a solid structure (with everything they couldn't close out getting funnelled towards Busquets) that he could rely on his positional abilities without ever having his physicality tested. Alonso is similarly good positionally, so I think he'd have been as effective for them on the defensive side of things. And added to that he has a much better long passing game than Busquets.

Him and Xavi are sort of similar, but Xavi has always been a cm in front of somebody linking between the defence and attack whereas Alonso plays at the base of the midfield. His long passing game makes it look a bit different, but I think the role he's sent out to play is more like Busquets' than Xavi's (controlling the tempo, linking the defence and midfield and shielding the back 4 from the base of the midfield).

I think Busquets was even better defensively, in pretty much every aspect. That said, you could argue that Busquets has one role that he can do, and if he had to play in a midfield two that wasn't Barca or Spain's, he maybe wouldn't contribute like Alonso.

Imo Alonso is a bit like Pirlo if Pirlo went forward less and protected the defence a bit more. Then Xavi was/is even further forward than Pirlo. I guess it is hard to compare them all as a result.

Rozay9
21-2-15, 22:37
You havent seen many midfielders mate.;) Top of my head: Seedorf, Redondo, Xavi, Viera, are all better than Scholes.

Great shouts! Can't argue with those. For me there was just something about Scholes tho watching him play that made him phenomanol in my eyes.

Rozay9
21-2-15, 22:38

This is laughable, cause that is very unlikely to happen. His home is the treatment room! Maybe he should layoff the drugs every once in awhile...:rolleyes:

Liverdinner
21-2-15, 22:45
This is laughable, cause that is very unlikely to happen. His home is the treatment room! Maybe he should layoff the drugs every once in awhile...:rolleyes:

Personal joke between me and Alon.

I believed Wilshere had the potential to be one of the best. Sadly I think injuries have ruined that idea

Rozay9
21-2-15, 22:48
Personal joke between me and Alon.

I believed Wilshere had the potential to be one of the best. Sadly I think injuries have ruined that idea

Agree 100% with you! I remember when he played against Barcelona at the age of 18? Absolutely bossed everyone on that Barcelona side! He was quality, but like you said, injuries have plagued him sadly...

carraforcaptain
21-2-15, 22:55
I think Busquets was even better defensively, in pretty much every aspect. That said, you could argue that Busquets has one role that he can do, and if he had to play in a midfield two that wasn't Barca or Spain's, he maybe wouldn't contribute like Alonso.

Imo Alonso is a bit like Pirlo if Pirlo went forward less and protected the defence a bit more. Then Xavi was/is even further forward than Pirlo. I guess it is hard to compare them all as a result.

I disagree, but fair enough.

Liverdinner
21-2-15, 23:03
Agree 100% with you! I remember when he played against Barcelona at the age of 18? Absolutely bossed everyone on that Barcelona side! He was quality, but like you said, injuries have plagued him sadly...

Yep and then when they were losing to Bayern he took hold of the game against a world class midfield and drove them on.
Even against Brazil at home a few years later he bossed it.

I really don't think we've seen his talent for a good 2 or 3 years now, only glimpses.

Alpha Papa
21-2-15, 23:38

This is the best moment of the thread. WFMM claiming we should sign Bannan instead of Pirlo.

Liverdinner
22-2-15, 00:03
This is the best moment of the thread. WFMM claiming we should sign Bannan instead of Pirlo.

:D It is marvelous.

I dread to think what I could be called up on, in fairness.

LordJamieOfCarragher
22-2-15, 15:10
then again I've never really known how these forums worked

You should have that as your signature.