PDA

View Full Version : RaphaŽl Varane

WineForMyMen
11-6-11, 10:43
Just a quick thought, but...

Arsenal are competing with Manchester United and Manchester City for the signature of teenage centre-half RaphaŽl Varane, the Lens and France under-21 player.
Full story: The Times (requires subscription)

United supposedly had him wrapped up a month ago. The best clubs in the PL want him. What with Comolli's frenchness, is it worth stealing one of United's major targets :p

Anyone actually seen him play? Must be something special because he's younger and has played less first team games than Jones, but seems to have captured a comparable level of interest. Shouldn't these be the players that Comolli is picking out rather than established, hyped youngsters like Sakho and M'Vila (not that I'd turn those two down as signings)?

Fowi
11-6-11, 10:45
I heard Man Utd had already signed him months ago?

Maxi-Driver
11-6-11, 10:46
Not according to Sky he hasn't.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6979678,00.html

Lens starlet Raphael Varane admits he thinks he will stay in France next year rather than move to either Manchester United or Bayern Munich.

Although he concedes that he could be sold and loaned back to a club in his homeland.

The 18-year-old has been followed closely by both United and Bayern, after making the breakthrough at relegated Lens last term.

He penned a new long-term deal with Lens during the season, but he has been widely tipped to move on this summer with United understood to be leading the chase.

But Varane, rated as one of the best defensive prospects in France, admits he may stay in France.

"Early in the season, my objective was to play as often as possible with the reserves. Finally I have played in Ligue 1," he told FranceFootball.

"I am under contract at Lens until 2015. We are in talks with the chairman to find the best solution."

Loan option

Varane admits he could sign for another club and be loaned back, which may yet see him joining either United or Bayern.

"Am I going to improve in Ligue 1, and reach a new step? I have to make a choice. I can sign aboard and be loaned, or join another Ligue 1 club, or even remain at Lens," he continued.

"We talked about a departure and it seems there is no hostility from the club, even if I remain under contract.

"Interest from Bayern or Man Utd? It is greatly flattering to hear those names, and I even ask myself if that is really about me.

"But I can't dream. I have to think about it and join a club that will allow me to improve.

"Remaining in Ligue 1 seems to be the more sensible choice. The most important thing to me is time spent on the pitch."

WineForMyMen
11-6-11, 10:48
I heard Man Utd had already signed him months ago?

That's what was widely reported, but never confirmed. I wonder if us forcing Ferguson to move in on Jones has seen the Varane deal stall?

If he went there now it would be ridiculous (assuming the Jones deal still goes through)

Ferdinand, Vidic could have 5 years left in him easily, Smalling, Jones, Evans.

WineForMyMen
11-6-11, 10:50
Not according to Sky he hasn't.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6979678,00.html

Yep...and Bayern.

When United supposedly got him I also read they'd beaten off strong competition from an Italian club, think it was either AC or Inter.

Chickenliver
11-6-11, 10:52
Just a quick thought, but...

Arsenal are competing with Manchester United and Manchester City for the signature of teenage centre-half RaphaŽl Varane, the Lens and France under-21 player.
Full story: The Times (requires subscription)

United supposedly had him wrapped up a month ago. The best clubs in the PL want him. What with Comolli's frenchness, is it worth stealing one of United's major targets :p

Anyone actually seen him play? Must be something special because he's younger and has played less first team games than Jones, but seems to have captured a comparable level of interest. Shouldn't these be the players that Comolli is picking out rather than established, hyped youngsters like Sakho and M'Vila (not that I'd turn those two down as signings)?

How did you get those two dots on top of RaphaŽl's name :confused:

WineForMyMen
11-6-11, 10:54
How did you get those two dots of top of RaphaŽl's name :confused:

Just copy and pasted it mate, no idea how you'd do it otherwise on here? Doesn't work with the ALT+(number) combinations.

WindyShepherdHenderson
31-1-13, 03:27
Just watched the ClŠsico, and he was awesome tonight; I mean seriously good. He's always impressed me whenever I've watched him, but tonight was by far the best performance I've ever seen him give. Only 19 as well. Gonna be immense.

Liverdinner
31-1-13, 03:28
What's good about him?

Saw his goal.

WindyShepherdHenderson
31-1-13, 03:32
What's good about him?

Saw his goal.

His aerial ability and tackling were superb. Quick for a centre-back, and his reading of the game isn't bad at all.

Liverdinner
31-1-13, 03:33
His aerial ability and tackling were superb. Quick for a centre-back, and his reading of the game isn't bad at all.

Being quick is such a head-start nowadays. Especially when you're up against players like Messi.

Sounds a talent. Madrid supposedly have a few coming through. Morata being one of them.

DiscoDjimi
31-1-13, 03:34
Zidane kept him out of United's hands, thank god for that.

BostonFans
31-1-13, 05:48
Just watched the ClŠsico, and he was awesome tonight; I mean seriously good. He's always impressed me whenever I've watched him, but tonight was by far the best performance I've ever seen him give. Only 19 as well. Gonna be immense.

That tackle against Fabregas.

Snippes
31-1-13, 08:37
What's good about him?

Saw his goal.

Also had a pretty sick goal line clearance as well I think. Someone lost the ball stupidly in their goal area and a Barca player, can't remember who, was clear on goal and went past the keeper with open goal in front of him. And out of nowhere Varane just popped up and cleared it. To see all that and react as quick as he did. Just seems so cultured - physique and everything else, he looked like he was born to play the position. Seems to have an amazing future ahead of him.

PaddockBeanie
31-1-13, 09:16
The kid was phenomenal last night.. absolutely outstanding. He reminded me of Desailly at Milan. He's tall, quick, intelligent, powerful.. thank god he never went to United.. He'll be Reals CB and probably captain for a decade. Amazing talent.

IstanbulDreams
31-1-13, 09:18
The kid was phenomenal last night.. absolutely outstanding. He reminded me of Desailly at Milan. He's tall, quick, intelligent, powerful.. thank god he never went to United.. He'll be Reals CB and probably captain for a decade. Amazing talent.

:D At least you're not getting carried away there fella!

I agree with the sentiment though. Madrid seem to have a real gem on their hands there.

PaddockBeanie
31-1-13, 09:24

I agree with the sentiment though. Madrid seem to have a real gem on their hands there.

Ha, I know.. he will be though. He'll stand head and shoulders above all other CBs in the world in a couple of years time, if last night was anything to go by. Rarely seen such a natural talent in that position.. absolutely brilliant.

Alon1
31-1-13, 09:46
The kid was phenomenal last night.. absolutely outstanding. He reminded
me of Desailly at Milan. He's tall, quick, intelligent, powerful.. thank god he never went to United.. He'll be Reals CB and probably captain for a decade. Amazing talent.

No way he would become the captain, let alone for a decade. He was very good yesterday though.

MignoLetItBe
31-1-13, 10:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_sbJP31Ws0

DiscoDjimi
31-1-13, 10:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_sbJP31Ws0

19 years old as well.

Unbelievable.

Tridentuk
31-1-13, 10:38

it's nowhere near unrealistic. it's been a while since there's been a defender of his potential class anywhere in the world, that's how highly i rate him personally. haven't had anyone in that "next level" class of defender since maldini or cannavaro

Alon1
31-1-13, 10:40
it's nowhere near unrealistic. it's been a while since there's been a defender of his potential class anywhere in the world, that's how highly i rate him personally. haven't had anyone in that "next level" class of defender since maldini or cannavaro

what?

MignoLetItBe
31-1-13, 10:41

Thiago Silva.

31-1-13, 11:06
Any chance madrid will sell? :D

Little Phil C
31-1-13, 17:53
Thiago Silva.

this Silva is amazing

tonylet
31-1-13, 17:57
Where can we find one of these? I watched extended highlights of the game earlier today and really wow :eek:

tonylet
31-1-13, 17:59
10m euro. 8.8m pounds. A lot of money for young defender, but if you can spot a potential world class one it's worth it.

Liverdinner
31-1-13, 18:02
Wow, just watched the video.

Looks the real deal. So quick.

Jazzy-J
31-1-13, 18:09
I can't watch the video in my country apparently :(

KEEP ENGLAND BRITISH

WindyShepherdHenderson
31-1-13, 18:10
I can't watch the video in my country apparently :(

KEEP ENGLAND BRITISH

https://proxtube.com/

Et voila.

-Monk-
31-1-13, 18:11

Me and a few of the lads were going on about him last night, stood out a lot, fantastic performance.

tonylet
31-1-13, 18:49
FootballFacts101 ‏@FootballFact101
Real Madrid centre-back Raphael Varane has been called up to the #France squad to face #Germany in a friendly next Wednesday.

Mersey Dudek
1-2-13, 00:21

I was at the match last night. He was superb. Going to be a fantastic player as you say. Pique was also immense last night.

Beige
1-2-13, 00:23
Pique was also immense last night.

Yes, he was: http://i.minus.com/ibuOc2c368tM3K.gif

Jurgenmeister
1-2-13, 00:24
He'll join Newcastle in the next window...

Mersey Dudek
1-2-13, 00:58
Yes, he was: http://i.minus.com/ibuOc2c368tM3K.gif

Wow. Wasn't me! :)

I've been to some big derbies but the hatred last night from the Madrid fans was something I've never witnessed before..not to that extent anyway.

Dont-Funk-With-The-Sakho
1-2-13, 11:19
Immense in every sense of the word. What a way to make your El Clasico debut, and he is only 19, kid has a bright future ahead of him.

Gem of a player.