PDA

View Full Version : Am I being biased when I say Gerrard is better than Scholes

Vikeshb3
18-6-11, 17:01
It was abit of a no brainer for me, Scholes was a very good player but for me Stevie is head and shoulders above any other midfielder the premier league has seen barring Keane and Viera. My Manc mates obviously disagree, but even some chelski, arse and spurs fans seem to be going with Scholes and calling me deluded. As you can tell I live in London, but even so I didn't expect it to be so one sided ( In Scholes' favour anyway.)

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 17:03
No. Both sides are valid.

Midophile
18-6-11, 17:03
No.

Dashmundo
18-6-11, 17:04
It was abit of a no brainer for me, Scholes was a very good player but for me Stevie is head and shoulders above any other midfielder the premier league has seen barring Keane and Viera. My Manc mates obviously disagree, but even some chelski, arse and spurs fans seem to be going with Scholes and calling me deluded. As you can tell I live in London, but even so I didn't expect it to be so one sided ( In Scholes' favour anyway.)

Most of united's fans are in London.

If you believe the posters here, most of them in the press.

Scholes was a great player, and may be better than Gerrard in a couple of aspects, but there's no competition when asking who was the more complete player. Ask any fan apart from a United fan which player they would want in their team at their peak, a fully fit Scholes or a fully fit Gerrard....

Paullfc1976
18-6-11, 17:06
Scholes prolonged his career by playing a much more reserved role in comparison to his younger days; where he was an out and out attacking midfielder; being an intelligent passer, it helped him become the player he became latter on in his career. We're yet to see what Gerrard can do when he gets older; as he is coming into the swansong of his career in the next couple of years, we're going to have to wait and see what he can do, like Kriz alluded too both sides of the argument are valid when it comes to the two players.

Both are Premier League legends, as well as being legends of their respective clubs.

redjitsu
18-6-11, 17:07
Errm NO

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 17:07
Ask any fan apart from a United fan which player they would want in their team at their peak, a fully fit Scholes or a fully fit Gerrard....

Scholes at his peak or Gerrard at his peak?

Too tough to call.

caple
18-6-11, 17:09
Ask any fan apart from a United fan which player they would want in their team at their peak, a fully fit Scholes or a fully fit Gerrard....

It would totally depend on what the team needs.

Gavinelli
18-6-11, 17:09
i dont think its biased, gerrard can do everythin scholes can do PLUS he can tackle.

Yehez
18-6-11, 17:10

Scholes was a great player, and may be better than Gerrard in a couple of aspects, but there's no competition when asking who was the more complete player. Ask any fan apart from a United fan which player they would want in their team at their peak, a fully fit Scholes or a fully fit Gerrard....

lizred
They are just winding you up.

CrawleyRed
Gerrard is the best Premier League midfielder bar none.

Keane, Vieira, Scholes, Darren Fletcher, have all been part of Title winning sides, but surely no-one can dispute that if you took out Scholes at his best and put Gerrard at his best into any of those Title winning Utd teams (and after vomiting at the thought) then it wouldn't make a difference, if anything they would have been better.

Vikeshb3
18-6-11, 17:12

Too tough to call.

Really? For me Gerrard wins hands down. Gerrard can do everything Scholes can do, but Scholes can't do everything Gerrard can do. Scholes cannot lift a game up by the scruff of its neck and swing it in his teams favour, Gerrard has done that countless of times for both Liverpool and England.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 17:14
Gerrard is the best Premier League midfielder bar none.

Keane, Vieira, Scholes, Darren Fletcher, have all been part of Title winning sides, but surely no-one can dispute that if you took out Scholes at his best and put Gerrard at his best into any of those Title winning Utd teams (and after vomiting at the thought) then it wouldn't make a difference, if anything they would have been better.

He'll be very happy you included him with those three :D

Getafe-My-Lawn!
18-6-11, 17:14
Scholes has always played in teams that used the width of the pitch. Can you say the same of Gerrard? I don't think you can say Scholes is a better passer than Gerrard for that reason

brummiered01
18-6-11, 17:15
Gerrard at club level, Scholes for national.

Gerrard overall wins, but can't take away from Scholes being an awseome player

Dashmundo
18-6-11, 17:15
Scholes cannot lift a game up by the scruff of its neck and swing it in his teams favour, Gerrard has done that countless of times for both Liverpool and England.

Now while I agree Gerrard was probably a better player, Scholes could definitely change the game at his will, during a few years when he was inarguably one of the best midfielders of the league.

Gerrard reached a point however where he was inarguably THE best.

Midophile
18-6-11, 17:16
Would be interesting to see if Gerrard and Scholes switched teams. Lets face it, Gerrard pretty much carried us a lot of the time whereas Scholes has always been in a strong, winning team. Thats probably what edges him in front for me.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 17:18
Would be interesting to see if Gerrard and Scholes switched teams. Lets face it, Gerrard pretty much carried us a lot of the time whereas Scholes has always been in a strong, winning team. Thats probably what edges him in front for me.

Kind of like Ronaldo and Messi then.

CrawleyRed
18-6-11, 17:19
He'll be very happy you included him with those three :D

That may have been a little tongue in cheek ;)

Hupia
18-6-11, 17:20
Steven Gerrard is the best midfielder the premier league has ever seen, not one player would do so much for their club, also scholes is ginger and cant tackle to save his life. Steven Gerrard will win the Prem wit liverpool before he retires.

WindyShepherdHenderson
That may have been a little tongue in cheek ;)

To be fair, if you'd said to me five years ago Darren Fletcher would be one of Man United's most important players I'd have applied to have you sectioned.

TakeBallBack
Scholes has only been appreciated so much because people feel sry for him and give him credit for being a litle redhaired version of frodo.

Dont rate him at all... he never knew how to hit a ball as our wonderplayer Stevie..

Being biased? nahhhhh :-)

:scarf

Midophile
Kind of like Ronaldo and Messi then.

I'm just saying what Gerrard has done for us slightly edges over what Scholes has done for united respectively.

CrawleyRed
18-6-11, 17:21
I'm just saying what Gerrard has done for us slightly edges over what Scholes has done for united respectively.

I agree. It's so hard to compare, but I'm inclined to think if we'd had Scholes instead of Gerrard we wouldn't have had the successes we did in 2005 and 2006, as brilliant a player as he was.

Defo-skitso
18-6-11, 17:26
Gerrard can tackle as well...Scholes cant to save his life.

redpalm
18-6-11, 17:28
Gerrard is better, Scholes could never have picked his team up and drove them on like Stevie did in Istanbul ( and elsewhere), he could never have carried his side when they were bad like SG does. Stevie G is the best midfield player in the prem. and we will see that when he is fit again next season. As for Scholes he never played in a bad side ( except England of course) so you cant compare him to Stevie.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 17:28
Gerrard can tackle as well...Scholes cant to save his life.

Gerrard was a horrible tackler who improved dramatically. Scholes was a horrible tackler for 20 years. It's baffling.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 17:34
As for Scholes he never played in a bad side ( except England of course) so you cant compare him to Stevie.

That 2003/2004 side was bad. Kleberson, Bellion, Djemba-Djemba and Fortune :eek:

Snippes
18-6-11, 17:35
There is a very simple way of ending these debates with an idiot who is clearly trying to wind you up.

Switch the two around and as yourself this. Would Scholes have lifted Liverpool on his shoulders time and time again pretty much alone for a most of a decade?? Hell no.

Would Stevie have thrived and won even more things playing for the scum with all them top players Scholes got to dish the ball to?? Of course.

There endeth the debate. Stevie can do things Scholes cannot. Scholes is not capable of doing some of the things Stevie has been able to do time and time again.

M5BMW
18-6-11, 17:36

Too tough to call.

My arse! Scholes has played in the best sides Utd have ever had, were as Gerrard has carried some very ordinary Liverpool teams.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 17:37
There is a very simple way of ending these debates with an idiot who is clearly trying to wind you up.

You're right, a different opinion is clearly an obvious attempt to wind someone up. I forgot we all had to agree on everything.

Snippes
18-6-11, 17:48
You're right, a different opinion is clearly an obvious attempt to wind someone up. I forgot we all had to agree on everything.

A different stupid opinion is either a wind up or biased stupidity. Feel free to take your pick if you feel so strongly about it :D

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 17:50
A different stupid opinion is either a wind up or biased stupidity. Feel free to take your pick if you feel so strongly about it :D

What's stupid about saying it's too close to call? You're acting like I'm saying Gerrard isn't fit to clean Scholes' boots. You can keep getting angry though if you like, it's amusing.

PeaTearGryphon
18-6-11, 17:50
I'd say Gerrard edges it, for his all-round game and individual brilliance. But Scholes was an excellent midfielder and part of arguably the best midfield pairing the Premier League has seen, Scholes and Keane. Doesn't Xavi from Barca rate Scholes as the best of his generation?

PeaTearGryphon
18-6-11, 17:51

Your arrogance is unreal

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 17:55
Xavi : "‘In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen - the most complete - is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more."

Zinedine Zidane : "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Zinedine Zidane : "Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."

Edgar Davids : ""Every one of us (midfielders) is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes."

Edgar Davids : "I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is."

Cesc Fabregas : "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Patrick Vieira : "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy - Scholes."

Thierry Henry : "I can't understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it's because he doesn't seek the limelight like some of the other 'stars'."

Micah Richards : "He's always in the right position, always seems to be at the end of the box when the ball drops in. The complete midfielder - when he's fit, he's the best. Some go missing but he's in the right place at the right time. He's my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable. If you give him a chance it's a goal, isn't it?"

Glenn Hoddle : "There isn’t a player of his mould anywhere else in the world."

Terry Venables : "He’s the best one- or two-touch passer in the country. He sees the game unlike any other player."

Alan Shearer : "If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. He’s the most consistent and naturally gifted player we’ve had for a long, long time."

Eidur Gudjohnsen : "I'm more an admirer of Paul Scholes than I am of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a fantastic player, but he has 10 other great players around him every week...Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I've ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him."

Tony Adams : "I really rate Paul Scholes, because he hasn't got the high profile of many of the Manchester United players, he doesn't get too much attention, but he is one very good player. He is an intelligent player, he works hard and he scores some great goals. He is not flamboyant and is a quiet lad off the pitch but he is a tremendous asset to Manchester United and to England. He has already got my vote as player of the year."

Kevin Keegan : "What United have got that Chelsea haven't is Paul Scholes. I think he is different to anything else in English football."

Marcello Lippi : "Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team - that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. Scholes is a player I have always liked, because he combines great talent and technical ability with mobility, determination and a superb shot. He is an all-round midfielder who possesses character and quality in abundance. In my opinion, he's been one of the most important players for United under Sir Alex."

Gordon Strachan : "Paul Scholes has been the best England midfield player for 30-odd years. You'd probably have to go back to Bobby Charlton to find someone who could do as much as Scholes. When the ball arrives at his feet he could tell you where every player on that pitch is at that moment. His awareness is superb."

Peter Schmeichel : "People say he is a great player, but you have to define what a great player is, For me, it is a player who has a bottom level that means his worst performance is not noticed.If he is having a bad game, a team-mate might feel Paul Scholes is not quite on his game, but a spectator wouldn't notice. Scholes, of all the players I have played with, has the highest bottom level. His reading of the game is unsurpassed.He has an eye for a pass, for what the play or the game needs at that precise moment, that I have never seen anyone else have. He controls and distributes the play and the game better than anyone I have ever seen."

Let's let Snipes keep getting angry at the internet, though. What do these silly people know? It's not like some of them are legends of the game or anyth-...oh.

redpalm
18-6-11, 17:59
That 2003/2004 side was bad. Kleberson, Bellion, Djemba-Djemba and Fortune :eek:

Agreed its not a very good side but weve had far worse. My point is Scholes is not the kind of player who can lift a team single handedly, dont you agree?

smokintony
18-6-11, 17:59
Xavi : "‘In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen - the most complete - is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more."

Zinedine Zidane : "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Zinedine Zidane : "Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."

Edgar Davids : ""Every one of us (midfielders) is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes."

Cesc Fabregas : "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Thierry Henry : "I can't understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it's because he doesn't seek the limelight like some of the other 'stars'."

Micah Richards : "He's always in the right position, always seems to be at the end of the box when the ball drops in. The complete midfielder - when he's fit, he's the best. Some go missing but he's in the right place at the right time. He's my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable. If you give him a chance it's a goal, isn't it?"

Glenn Hoddle : "There isn’t a player of his mould anywhere else in the world."

Terry Venables : "He’s the best one- or two-touch passer in the country. He sees the game unlike any other player."

Alan Shearer : "If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. He’s the most consistent and naturally gifted player we’ve had for a long, long time."

Eidur Gudjohnsen : "I'm more an admirer of Paul Scholes than I am of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a fantastic player, but he has 10 other great players around him every week...Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I've ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him."

Tony Adams : "I really rate Paul Scholes, because he hasn't got the high profile of many of the Manchester United players, he doesn't get too much attention, but he is one very good player. He is an intelligent player, he works hard and he scores some great goals. He is not flamboyant and is a quiet lad off the pitch but he is a tremendous asset to Manchester United and to England. He has already got my vote as player of the year."

Kevin Keegan : "What United have got that Chelsea haven't is Paul Scholes. I think he is different to anything else in English football."

Marcello Lippi : "Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team - that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. Scholes is a player I have always liked, because he combines great talent and technical ability with mobility, determination and a superb shot. He is an all-round midfielder who possesses character and quality in abundance. In my opinion, he's been one of the most important players for United under Sir Alex."

Gordon Strachan : "Paul Scholes has been the best England midfield player for 30-odd years. You'd probably have to go back to Bobby Charlton to find someone who could do as much as Scholes. When the ball arrives at his feet he could tell you where every player on that pitch is at that moment. His awareness is superb."

Peter Schmeichel : "People say he is a great player, but you have to define what a great player is, For me, it is a player who has a bottom level that means his worst performance is not noticed.If he is having a bad game, a team-mate might feel Paul Scholes is not quite on his game, but a spectator wouldn't notice. Scholes, of all the players I have played with, has the highest bottom level. His reading of the game is unsurpassed.He has an eye for a pass, for what the play or the game needs at that precise moment, that I have never seen anyone else have. He controls and distributes the play and the game better than anyone I have ever seen."

Let's let Snipes keep getting angry at the internet, though. What do these silly people know? It's not like some of them are legends of the game or anyth-...oh.

Stevie G - "Messi can do some amazing things, but anything he can do Joe Cole can do as well, if not better." :IN:

TakeBallBack
18-6-11, 18:03
Xavi : "In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen - the most complete - is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesnt give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more."

Glenn Hoddle : "There isnt a player of his mould anywhere else in the world."

Terry Venables : "Hes the best one- or two-touch passer in the country. He sees the game unlike any other player."

Alan Shearer : "If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. Hes the most consistent and naturally gifted player weve had for a long, long time."

what do ya think they would have said if they were asked about Gerrard? ofc you wont find any player saiying stuff like "Well scholes is a decent player, but he seems to fall ou of the game to often"

Scholes is great, and his carreer has been more aknowledged cus of the triumphs man u has been having, but Stevie has meant more to this club than scholes has for man u.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 18:04
what do ya think they would have said if they were asked about Gerrard? ofc you wont find any player saiying stuff like "Well scholes is a decent player, but he seems to fall ou of the game to often"

Zinedine Zidane: "Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Lionel Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be. If you don't have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team."

redpalm
18-6-11, 18:05
diabydoesgallas some of your quotes are good but then you spoil it with Donkey Adams,Gudjohnsen Keegan ( great player poor manager) and then when I think you cant get any worse you throw in Hoddle?

TakeBallBack
18-6-11, 18:05
Zinedine Zidane: "Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Lionel Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be. If you don't have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team."

repped for being fast as lightning :-)
:scarf

Snippes
18-6-11, 18:06
What's stupid about saying it's too close to call? You're acting like I'm saying Gerrard isn't fit to clean Scholes' boots. You can keep getting angry though if you like, it's amusing.

Its stupid if you have been watching both players the last several years. Why is that hard for you to understand? And who is angry? You are the one seemingly getting his feelings hurt that Scholes is not seemingly getting his due :D Am very secure with my position, dude. Trust me.

Your arrogance is unreal You are the only who seems concerned about it. I have no issues with it :)

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 18:06
diabydoesgallas some of your quotes are good but then you spoil it with Donkey Adams,Gudjohnsen Keegan ( great player poor manager) and then when I think you cant get any worse you throw in Hoddle?

Keegan and Hoddle were fantastic players. I fail to see how their managerial records somehow make their opinions less valid.

Paullfc1976
18-6-11, 18:07

:D

Midophile
18-6-11, 18:08
"He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but Gerrard does more."

Alex Ferguson, manager of Manchester United FC

Speaks volumes.

Snippes
18-6-11, 18:09
Xavi : "In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen - the most complete - is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesnt give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more."

Glenn Hoddle : "There isnt a player of his mould anywhere else in the world."

Terry Venables : "Hes the best one- or two-touch passer in the country. He sees the game unlike any other player."

Alan Shearer : "If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. Hes the most consistent and naturally gifted player weve had for a long, long time."

Am not sure why you went to all that trouble to dig up those quotes. I mean, were you expecting them to say negative things about Scholes when asked about him??:FP:

Scholes is great, and his carreer has been more aknowledged cus of the triumphs man u has been having, but Stevie has meant more to this club than scholes has for man u.

Precisely right my friend....he's acting as if they were being asked to compare the two. They would have been just as if not complimentary about Gerrard. I specifically remember Zidane calling Gerrard the best all round player in the world about 2 years ago.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 18:10
"He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but Gerrard does more."

Alex Ferguson, manager of Manchester United FC

Speaks volumes.

That's a brilliant quote. Was that when Stevie said he wanted to leave and Fergie somehow thought he could sign him :D

Midophile
18-6-11, 18:11
Also, in my humble opinion, they are very different players.

Paullfc1976
18-6-11, 18:11
Am not sure why you went to all that trouble to dig up those quotes. I mean, were you expecting them to say negative things about Scholes when asked about him??:FP:

Precisely right my friend....he's acting as if they were being asked to compare the two. They would have been just as if not complimentary about Gerrard. I specifically remember Zidane calling Gerrard the best all round player in the world about 2 years ago.

Yes Zidane did say that; but that does not mean that what he says about Scholes is not a quality player and many regard him as one of the best Midfielders if not the best to grace the Premier League; I cannot understand what the problem is in saying that?

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 18:12
Am not sure why you went to all that trouble to dig up those quotes.

They were posted on this forum last month.

I specifically remember Zidane calling Gerrard the best all round player in the world about 2 years ago.

Yeah...? I already posted that quote.

My point is if you put both of them at their peak it would be incredibly close to call. You then somehow took that to mean I disgraced Gerrard's ability as a player and a human being. You then started whining, as per usual.

Midophile
18-6-11, 18:12
That's a brilliant quote. Was that when Stevie said he wanted to leave and Fergie somehow thought he could sign him :D

May 2004 it was.

M5BMW
18-6-11, 18:13
Precisely right my friend....he's acting as if they were being asked to compare the two. They would have been just as if not complimentary about Gerrard. I specifically remember Zidane calling Gerrard the best all round player in the world about 2 years ago.[/QUOTE]

I to remember this:scarf

WindyShepherdHenderson
May 2004 it was.

When United were in dire need of rebuilding. Makes sense.

Snippes

Your desperation is getting quite amusing :D You are doing a great job of trying to convince yourself though, I will give you that much :rolleyes:

Wonder how many quotes we can come up with about Gerrard....hmmm...

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 18:14
Your desperation is getting quite amusing :D You are doing a great job of trying to convince yourself though, I will give you that much :rolleyes:

What? I have no idea what you're talking about, and I don't think you do either.

Silly Snipes.

Midophile
18-6-11, 18:14
When United were in dire need of rebuilding. Makes sense.

So you're saying he only said that because he wanted him? I dont want to think that really to be honest. Giving Gerrard the credit he deserves i think.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 18:15
So you're saying he only said that because he wanted him? I dont want to think that really to be honest. Giving Gerrard the credit he deserves i think.

It was probably both. Ferguson always has a reason for anything he says, but at the same time he was acknowledging Gerrard's influence.

Istanpooltim
18-6-11, 18:17
Sadly for Scholes you can't make that many nasty tackles and be considered the best!

Midophile
18-6-11, 18:17
It was probably both. Ferguson always has a reason for anything he says, but at the same time he was acknowledging Gerrard's influence.

Very possible.

Regardless of professional opinion i'd pick Gerrard.

PeaTearGryphon
18-6-11, 18:18
You are the only who seems concerned about it. I have no issues with it :)

I don't doubt that.

Cossey
18-6-11, 18:21

Switch the two around and as yourself this. Would Scholes have lifted Liverpool on his shoulders time and time again pretty much alone for a most of a decade?? Hell no.

Would Stevie have thrived and won even more things playing for the scum with all them top players Scholes got to dish the ball to?? Of course.

There endeth the debate. Stevie can do things Scholes cannot. Scholes is not capable of doing some of the things Stevie has been able to do time and time again.

exactly what i have said countless times. thats just a fact end of

Dashmundo
18-6-11, 18:21
Sadly for Scholes you can't make that many nasty tackles and be considered the best!

Possibly.

Then again, Zidane is still one of the best midfield players I've seen, and he did headbutt an italian dude when he said something to the equivalent of "your mum/your sis".

Gerrard isn't exactly a saint with some of his early tackles either. Just ask Boateng Snr.

Snippes
18-6-11, 18:22
They were posted on this forum last month.

Yeah...? I already posted that quote.

My point is if you put both of them at their peak it would be incredibly close to call. You then somehow took that to mean I disgraced Gerrard's ability as a player and a human being. You then started whining, as per usual.

Um, no. You addressed me, I didn't address you...remember? As usual, you jump into something I said...I call you out on it....you end up looking moronic...and then cry about me yelling at you :D

Both of them at their peak would not be too close to call and no amount of you saying it will make it so. Gerrard at his peak has scored more goals, created more goals - for teams that were infinitely inferior to the ones Scholes plays in. Gerrard has been stronger, faster, better in every which way possible. He is better at taking on and beating his man...men in many cases. He has been better at taking free kicks that have ended up in goals. He has been better and more automatic at taking PKs. He has been a better tackler. His passing, long and short....his shooting and scoring form distance more consistently. His heading....his leadership skills...his coming through in the clutch when absolutely needed...again for far inferior teams.

Gerrard has been superior in every means measurable individually as a player. Gerrard has been superior in every intangible means unmeasureable.

So yes, its stupid to say its too close to call.

Feel free to show me in what department Scholes has been better than Gerrard to make this a "too close to call" argument. And before you invoke the trophies argument....John O'Shea has won more trophies than Gerrard too so save your breath :D

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 18:23
Gerrard isn't exactly a saint with some of his early tackles either. Just ask Boateng Snr.

And Naysmith.

Gerrard was a horrible tackler who improved dramatically. Scholes was a horrible tackler for 20 years. It's baffling.

Midophile
18-6-11, 18:25
Um, no. You addressed me, I didn't address you...remember? As usual, you jump into something I said...I call you out on it....you end up looking moronic...and then cry about me yelling at you :D

Both of them at their peak would not be too close to call and no amount of you saying it will make it so. Gerrard at his peak has scored more goals, created more goals - for teams that were infinitely inferior to the ones Scholes plays in. Gerrard has been stronger, faster, better in every which way possible. He is better at taking on and beating his man...men in many cases. He has been better at taking free kicks that have ended up in goals. He has been better and more automatic at taking PKs. He has been a better tackler. His passing, long and short....his shooting and scoring form distance more consistently. His heading....his leadership skills...his coming through in the clutch when absolutely needed...again for far inferior teams.

Gerrard has been superior in every means measurable individually as a player. Gerrard has been superior in every intangible means unmeasureable.

Feel free to show me in what department Scholes has been better than Gerrard to make this a "too close to call" argument. And before you invoke the trophies argument....John O'Shea has won more trophies than Gerrard too so save your breath :D

Scholes is a better passer in my opinion.

And to Jawbreaker i dont think Scholes was nasty, just ******** in the tackling department.

caple
18-6-11, 18:25

Would Xavi have been able to carry a team like that? No, he couldn't. Because he's not that type of player. And neither was Scholes.

Heighway501
18-6-11, 18:26
Both have been and are great players.

But that ability to take a team on his shoulders and drag it back into a game--for me, that is the thing that tips the scales in Stevie's favor. Whether that's objective or not is, for me personally, not important. Stevie inspires me as a supporter, and I think he would do even if I were not an LFC supporter.

So as to the OP's question in the header, I think that being biased doesn't cheapen your opinion as to who's the better player.

Snippes
18-6-11, 18:30
What? I have no idea what you're talking about, and I don't think you do either.

Silly Snipes.

You are ridiculously clutching at panic straws to try and make your unraveling point. :D Fergie may have many agendas to everything he says but you are being a tool if you think Fergie said those things about Gerrard because he somehow thought the son of Liverpool, captain, born and bred, was going to cross over to united and help his rebuilding project simply because Fergie gave him a compliment :D

I can just see Fergie saying...how do you think we can Gerrard to come here? Hmm...lemme pour lyrical wax over him in public and just melt his heart and he will sign for me. :oyh:

Fergie said what he said because - believe it or not, Fergie does have the capacity to call a spade a spade and say the truth as it is every once in a while. Especially when the truth is so damn obvious saying otherwise would be idiotic.

Jazzy-J
18-6-11, 18:33
Both at their respective peaks and it's damn close. I'd give it to Gerrard though, as he has always been able to pull the team out of a hole when it matters. Scholes around 1999-2002 was phenomenal though. Like a much better Lampard.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 18:33
Gerrard at his peak has scored more goals

Gerrard's record tally in a season is four more than Scholes' - and that's without Scholes taking penalties. When Scholes was pushed further forward in 2002 he flourished.

created more goals

Gerrard leads the "most assists in a season" table between the two. By a grand total of two.

He is better at taking on and beating his man

Debatable. Very debatable, in fact.

He has been better at taking free kicks that have ended up in goals.

He's scored about five in the last five years. I can't remember the last one he scored.

He has been better and more automatic at taking PKs.

:D seriously? You're using this as an argument?

He has been a better tackler.

Yes.

His passing, long and short

'kin hell

his shooting and scoring form distance more consistently.

'kin hell

His heading

Istanbul aside, any others?

his leadership skills.

Yes.

Again, arguable. It's impossible to debate with you.

Feel free to show me in what department Scholes has been better than Gerrard to make this a "too close to call" argument.

Vision, passing and (arguably) long range shots.

caple
18-6-11, 18:34

You honestly can't think of a single area where Scholes may be better than Gerrard?

Seriously?

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 18:35
Both at their respective peaks and it's damn close.

Is what I've been saying for this entire thread. Somehow that makes certain users angry.

Just to clarify, this is my view on the matter:

Scholes was/is utterly superb. One of the few midfield players of my generation I'd consider alongside Gerrard.

Notice, Snipes, "Scholes alongside Gerrard". Not the other way around.

Dashmundo
18-6-11, 18:36

And to Jawbreaker i dont think Scholes was nasty, just ******** in the tackling department.

I don't think so either - was making that point to the person I quoted, basically just saying that bad tackles don't end up omitting people from "great player" lists.

caple
18-6-11, 18:37
This thread had potential before Snipes ran in with his big bag of smilies.

Midophile
18-6-11, 18:39
He's scored about five in the last five years. I can't remember the last one he scored.

United away?

And Gerrard definitely had a better long shot on him, but then if i wanted someone on the edge of a box off a corner i'd have Scholes.

Weird.

caple
18-6-11, 18:41
And Gerrard definitely had a better long shot on him, but then if i wanted someone on the edge of a box off a corner i'd have Scholes.

Weird.

I agree with that. In and around the box, Scholes. But from further out it would definitely be Stevie.

Snippes
18-6-11, 18:41

If you put the talented players Scholes had to play with for close to 2 decades around Gerrard, and you put Gerrard around a winning system where he didn't have to be expending all energy being captain fantastic all the time, I think you find that Gerrard could have been even better than Scholes in the passing department as well. With pacy wingers all the time, with class players taking the pressure of him in the middle - if Gerrard only had to worry about finding players with time and space and targets that can get the ball.....you would have seen an even better Stevie.

Would Xavi have been able to carry a team like that? No, he couldn't. Because he's not that type of player. And neither was Scholes.

Xavi is the best ball possession midfielder in the world. Alonso is the best ranging passer of the ball in the world. They are both different to Gerrard. So what? No one is comparing Xavi or Xabi to Gerrard.

The argument was comparing Scholes to Gerrard and who was better and am explaining why Gerrard is better. Not sure why you bring Xavi in it. I can add many other different types of players as well...Kaka for example. Different type of player but we can compare and note Gerrard was an overall better player because he could do more things. Same thing vs Scholes....Gerrard does more better and hence is the better player. Cannot make it any simpler than that.

Jazzy-J
18-6-11, 18:43
In a high tempo passing game Scholes would edge it. He was better at one and two touch football than Gerrard. Gerrard was always the better long passer though.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 18:44
United away?

Weird.

I omit any matches under Hodgson from my memory. Except the famous away win at Bolton.

I'm now watching this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB8ACs-QjBc&feature=related) For a small bloke he actually scored a fair few headers :D

Midophile
If you put the talented players Scholes had to play with for close to 2 decades around Gerrard, and you put Gerrard around a winning system where he didn't have to be expending all energy being captain fantastic all the time, I think you find that Gerrard could have been even better than Scholes in the passing department as well. With pacy wingers all the time, with class players taking the pressure of him in the middle - if Gerrard only had to worry about finding players with time and space and targets that can get the ball.....you would have seen an even better Stevie.

Which is why i said it would have been interesting to see them switch teams. But i honestly think passing is more of Scholes' forte. Doubt Gerrard would be happy doing what Scholes does. Gerrard tends to run around and be everywhere, constantly involved.

caple
Xavi is the best ball possession midfielder in the world. Alonso is the best ranging passer of the ball in the world. They are both different to Gerrard. So what? No one is comparing Xavi or Xabi to Gerrard.

The argument was comparing Scholes to Gerrard and who was better and am explaining why Gerrard is better. Not sure why you bring Xavi in it. I can add many other different types of players as well...Kaka for example. Different type of player but we can compare and note Gerrard was an overall better player because he could do more things. Same thing vs Scholes....Gerrard does more better and hence is the better player. Cannot make it any simpler than that.

My point, which you have totally missed, is that Stevie being able to carry a team is merely one of his attributes. Scholes can't do this, I agree.

I bring Xavi up as proof that you can't measure a player by that notion. Xavi is better than Gerrard but he can't carry a team. Put him in a team of class players and you've got one of the greatest midfielders of all time. Put Gerrard in Barcelona's side and he won't be as good as Xavi.

Al87
Both are/were awesome players. Scholes was a better passer but Gerrard, imo, has a better all round game, and for that reason i'd pick him over scholes. Neither player would be out of place in an all time prem XI

Midophile
18-6-11, 18:45
I omit any matches under Hodgson from my memory. Except the famous away win at Bolton.

I'm now watching this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB8ACs-QjBc&feature=related) For a small bloke he actually scored a fair few headers :D

Luis Garcia was good with his head n all.

I remember one Gerrard header bar Istanbul where he leapt like a salmon, and that may have been awarded to Dirk.

caple
18-6-11, 18:47
In a high tempo passing game Scholes would edge it. He was better at one and two touch football than Gerrard. Gerrard was always the better long passer though.

I'd say that in a game where you dominate possession, Scholes is the one. In a more open game you'd want Gerrard.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 18:47
Luis Garcia was good with his head n all.

That header against Anderlecht is probably the best I have ever seen.

caple
18-6-11, 18:48
That header against Anderlecht is probably the best I have ever seen.

Bionic Neck.

JohnBarnesJnr
18-6-11, 18:55
For me, Stevie is up there with Maradona in terms of his god-like influence; the ability to win a team game almost single handedly. As fine a goal scorer as he is Scholes cannot hold a candle to him.

Snippes
18-6-11, 19:06
Gerrard's record tally in a season is four more than Scholes' - and that's without Scholes taking penalties. When Scholes was pushed further forward in 2002 he flourished.

Gerrard leads the "most assists in a season" table between the two. By a grand total of two.

Debatable. Very debatable, in fact.

:D seriously? You're using this as an argument?

Yes.

'kin hell

'kin hell

Yes.

Again, arguable. It's impossible to debate with you.

I love that your counter argument to Gerrard's superiority in the goals and assissts category....is that Gerrard's best season was superior by only 4 goals or 2 assists :D First off, Gerrard has more so his production has been superior...and he has been doing it effectively with only one singular world class attacking player he has played with the last 6 or 7 years...in Torres.

Secondly, you refer to his best season...Gerrard has had 3 season with 20+ goals overall....one season with 29 goals and 13 assists overall. Again largely for a far less talented teams than United.

You minimize Gerrard's free kick goals. How many does Scholes have that you remember? You seem to have a hard time remembering Gerrard's....I remember him scoring against Scholes at OT just this last season :D

Are you really suggesting that Gerrard's only example of leadership and pulling his team on his shoulders was Istanbul??:eek: Where have you been the last decade??? And what exactly is Scholes' Istanbul equivalent or version??

Everything else you say is "debatable" but cannot provide any tangible proof of why they are debatable. I have provided you with statistics, with specific examples, with factual reasons why Gerrard is better than Scholes. All you have give us here is a lot of woe is me whiny - oh Snipes is so mean - crap. Oh, and that Scholes does not take PKs :FP:

The only reason you are finding it difficult to debate is because you don't have **** to stand on *shrug*

caple
18-6-11, 19:08
Are you really suggesting that Gerrard's only example of leadership and pulling his team on his shoulders was Istanbul??:eek: Where have you been the last decade??? And what exactly is Scholes' Istanbul equivalent or version??

He clearly said that about Gerrard's heading.

The only reason you are finding it difficult to debate is because you don't have **** to stand on *shrug*

Why can't you ever seem to accept that someone has a differing opinion to you?

Fowi
18-6-11, 19:08
They don't really make many like Scholes in England and that's probably why the national team struggles so much.

Snippes
18-6-11, 19:09
You honestly can't think of a single area where Scholes may be better than Gerrard?

Seriously?

Injuries, perhaps? He is more durable than Gerrard probably.

Which makes the fact that Gerrard still is able to end up so much superior in the statistical categories the more impressive.

Which is why i said it would have been interesting to see them switch teams. But i honestly think passing is more of Scholes' forte. Doubt Gerrard would be happy doing what Scholes does. Gerrard tends to run around and be everywhere, constantly involved.

That's a good argument.

SweetSilverSeven
18-6-11, 19:10
You just think about how AWESOME both players were, and how much talent England had with those two in their grasp.... only to play them out of position to prioritise Lampard :eek::eek:

:FP:

If england had built a team around those two in midfield, England would've been SOOOO much better! They had good defence and a forward like Rooney upfront :rolleyes:

Jazzy-J
18-6-11, 19:10
Everything else you say is "debatable" but cannot provide any tangible proof of why they are debatable. I have provided you with statistics, with specific examples, with factual reasons why Gerrard is better than Scholes. All you have give us here is a lot of woe is me whiny - oh Snipes is so mean - crap. Oh, and that Scholes does not take PKs :FP:

Sorry to butt in, but can you direct me to the post with the stats and factual reasons mate? I haven't read the entire thread.

caple
18-6-11, 19:14

Which makes the fact that Gerrard still is able to end up so much superior in the statistical categories the more impressive.

Scholes is more creative, and better at short passing. Both incredibly key things for what he does.

And please stop mentioning stats. Xavi has less assists than Joey Barton.

And for the record, I think Gerrard is/was better.

Midophile
18-6-11, 19:16
Scholes is more creative, and better at short passing. Both incredibly key things for what he does.

And please stop mentioning stats. Xavi has less assists and goals than Joey Barton.

Thankfully you're wrong there lol. :D

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 19:16
Secondly, you refer to his best season...Gerrard has had 3 season with 20+ goals overall....one season with 29 goals and 13 assists overall

Why are you bringing internationals into this?

Are you really suggesting that Gerrard's only example of leadership and pulling his team on his shoulders was Istanbul??

His heading

his leadership skills.

Yes.

Not so good at reading. Try again when your anger isn't clouding your ability to comprehend posts.

caple
18-6-11, 19:17
Thankfully you're wrong there lol. :D

I typed the two first and then started thinking of the player.

Amateur mistake.

SweetSilverSeven
18-6-11, 19:26

Actually, I don't think you can put injuries in Scholes' favour!

Have you seen the long term injuries Gerrard has had over the years?
His injury record has been SHOCKING!! On average, worse than Scholes I would say. Gerrard has virtually missed at the minimum of a about two months a season, most years, and even more months in quite a few of them

Plus, don't forget that Scholes is about 5/6 years older, so statistically, everything is favoured towards Scholes! I think we can judge them both more after Gerrard's career has finished - coz he WILL slow down, and we'll get to see another side to him, which would be more "Scholes-like"!

Snippes
18-6-11, 19:31
He clearly said that about Gerrard's heading.

Why can't you ever seem to accept that someone has a differing opinion to you?

Right off the top of my head...vs Blackburn off Torres cross, in the CL vs PSV off Dirk's cross....this season vs Bolton I think it was. There's a shocking amount of things about Gerrard Kriz seems to forget for some reason.

Regarding debate....I don't come to talk to just talk to people with my cloned thoughts. Debate is not just having discussions with people who have the same opinion as you is it? That's why we come here. Just because you don't like what I say or how I say it, doesn't mean I don't accept that others have different opinions from me. Either engage in debate or don't. I don't particularly care, mate...there are pleny of people here I happily debate with - agreeing or disagreeing.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 19:34
Just because you don't like what I say or how I say it, doesn't mean I don't accept that others have different opinions from me.

I think this thread proves that's a lie.

GerrardCarragherLFC
18-6-11, 19:35
Gerrard can play far better in a more attacking role, Lampard is more equal to Gerrard than scholes in that area. I'd say Scholes' passing and vision in a more central midfield position in his peak slightly edges Gerrard though. So I think it depends on what you are looking for in your squad.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 19:36
Gerrard can play far better in a more attacking role, Lampard is more equal to Gerrard than scholes in that area. I'd say Scholes' passing and vision in a more central midfield position in his peak slightly edges Gerrard though. So I think it depends on what you are looking for in your squad.

It's even more baffling that they never played as a central partnership for England; they were both rotated around to accommodate the fatty chubster.

SweetSilverSeven
18-6-11, 19:39
Never! People always talk about the two as if they're similar, but I think they're SOOO different from each other - it's unreal!

Apart from the fact that they midfield goalscorers, wear the number eight and are english, they're very different! Gerrard has far more to his game

Gerrard has a better range of passing, more vision/creativity, more skills in term of his ability to play those through-balls (that lampard can seen to for torres), his various passing techniques in the final third, and his awareness... ect!

Scholes - especially at his peak (the goalscoring all action scholes) - is more similar to Gerrard

Sneets
18-6-11, 19:43
Gerrard is the only one of them who can play anywhere on the pitch bar being in goal. The others may have individual attributes that are better than Gerrard's but none of them is the complete package that is Gerrard.

SweetSilverSeven
18-6-11, 19:45
It's even more baffling that they never played as a central partnership for England; they were both rotated around to accommodate the fatty chubster.
In england, it's ALL about goals!

Course goals win you games, and you have to make sure that you have the right balance of goals distributed within your team! But as a midfielder, there are other priorities that should be put ahead of goals!

Once you master those tricks of the trade, then you can worry about adding goals to your game - like Xavi/Iniesta and even Gerrard did the same, as he started off as a RB/DM (and advanced forward), and LEARNT DURING HIS PROFFESSIONAL FOOTBALLING CAREER how to get into a goalscoring habit!

Snippes
18-6-11, 19:48
Sorry to butt in, but can you direct me to the post with the stats and factual reasons mate? I haven't read the entire thread.

I don't know how you want me to help you then :D

And please stop mentioning stats. Xavi has less assists than Joey Barton.

Better at short passing?? :confused: Meaning what, that he is better than Torres at completing the 5 yard sideways pass? Lucas is awesome at short passing. So what? :D If you were going to make an argument about range of passing, then I would be impressed. But short passing supremacy - err, okay.

As for Scholes being more creative....Gerrard's goals, assists, creating of chances for other less talented players over the years suggests that I can make the case that Gerrard is more creative, certainly more impactful and productive than Scholes is.

I gave stats as one of the reasons....not the only reason. I have also stated many times other areas like leadership (on and off the field), the incredible ability to take a game over when everything seems stacked against him...the ability to come through in the absolute clutch...to raise not just his game but the game of others.

Every team will have its fans being biased to a fault. But...if you selected 100 random passionate united fans from around the world, injected them with truth cerum and told them no one needs to know they did this - but you told them - you can have Steven Gerrard OR Paul Scholes - both at their prime performances - for the next 10 years. Do you think biases aside you would get at least a few manc fans picking Gerrard over Scholes? I do. I think even with biases some would pick Gerrard.

Now do the same thing 100 Liverpool fans (Kriz not included of course :D) and ask them the same question. I am 100% certain that 100/100 would pick Gerrard.

If you did the same experiment with random fans from other teams who have no skin in the game....I would be shocked if you found many picking Scholes if any at all.

And there is your answer.

This is not to say Scoles is crap...am in no way saying that. Am just stating that Gerrard is and has been better than Scholes. Simple as that.

Jazzy-J
18-6-11, 19:49
I don't know how you want me to help you then :D

Seriously? It was a fairly simple question.

Jazzy-J
18-6-11, 19:49
Now do the same thing 100 Liverpool fans (Kriz not included of course ) and ask them the same question. I am 100% certain that 100/100 would pick Gerrard.

I thought Kriz chose Gerrard?

Snippes
18-6-11, 19:50
Actually, I don't think you can put injuries in Scholes' favour!Have you seen the long term injuries Gerrard has had over the years?
His injury record has been SHOCKING!! On average, worse than Scholes I would say. Gerrard has virtually missed at the minimum of a about two months a season, most years, and even more months in quite a few of them

Plus, don't forget that Scholes is about 5/6 years older, so statistically, everything is favoured towards Scholes! I think we can judge them both more after Gerrard's career has finished - coz he WILL slow down, and we'll get to see another side to him, which would be more "Scholes-like"!

Well, I was trying to find something :)

king-Carra
18-6-11, 19:51
We're all better than Scholes, he's ginger ffs, not even a real person imo.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 19:52
Better at short passing?? :confused: Meaning what, that he is better than Torres at completing the 5 yard sideways pass? Lucas is awesome at short passing. So what? :D If you were going to make an argument about range of passing, then I would be impressed. But short passing supremacy - err, okay..

His passing, long and short

^^

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 19:54
Now do the same thing 100 Liverpool fans (Kriz not included of course :D)

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showpost.php?p=5770446&postcount=74

Not so good at reading. Try again when your anger isn't clouding your ability to comprehend posts.

Midophile
18-6-11, 19:54
Now do the same thing 100 Liverpool fans (Kriz not included of course :D) and ask them the same question. I am 100% certain that 100/100 would pick Gerrard.

That means absolutely nothing to be fair.

Jazzy-J
18-6-11, 19:55
Surely it's not blasphemous to say that there are some areas where Scholes excelled ahead of Gerrard? Both terrific players. It's not an insult to say that Scholes was better in some facets.

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-6-11, 19:56
I want to continue this, as it's fun. I'm off out though.

Snipes, remember your breathing exercises.

x

king-Carra
18-6-11, 19:58
Kriz hasn't slept in over 24 hours and he still pwns. :D

Snippes
18-6-11, 20:02
Seriously? It was a fairly simple question.

Yeah, seriously. Its a 3 page thread....you are asking me to give you information that is dripping all over the thread. I have statistical examples of Gerrard have at least 3 seasons with 20 goals or more. I referenced Gerrard's best season with 29 goals total and 13 assists. And for anyone who thinks stats mean nothing...I also gave numerous categories of non measurables where I Gerrard is better both in play, as well as in terms of leadership and what he has stood for for the club both on and off the pitch.

Its all there so am not sure what else you need me to tell you. But am happy to add that Scholes played 5 or 6 years longer than Gerrard in a far superior team. Scholes scored 102 goals in 466 appearances for United, 4 goals in 66 matches for England. Gerrard has scored 84 goals in 387 appearances and will surpass that goal tally even if he has an average season for him next season. Gerrard also has 19 goals in 89 matches for England,

Dunno what else you want me to tell ya...

Snippes
18-6-11, 20:06
That means absolutely nothing to be fair.

How so? If you did the same exercise...and asked Liverpool fans to chose Ronaldo over pick any winger we have had the ast 10 years, biases or not, they would pick Ronaldo even if he was a scummy scum. Because he is superior.

If almost everyone would pick one player over the other, you don't think it has something to do with the fact that it is because they believe he is better...because he is better?

Jazzy-J
18-6-11, 20:09
Yeah, seriously. Its a 3 page thread....you are asking me to give you information that is dripping all over the thread. I have statistical examples of Gerrard have at least 3 seasons with 20 goals or more. I referenced Gerrard's best season with 29 goals total and 13 assists. And for anyone who thinks stats mean nothing...I also gave numerous categories of non measurables where I Gerrard is better both in play, as well as in terms of leadership and what he has stood for for the club both on and off the pitch.

Its all there so am not sure what else you need me to tell you. But am happy to add that Scholes played 5 or 6 years longer than Gerrard in a far superior team. Scholes scored 102 goals in 466 appearances for United, 4 goals in 66 matches for England. Gerrard has scored 84 goals in 387 appearances and will surpass that goal tally even if he has an average season for him next season. Gerrard also has 19 goals in 89 matches for England,

Dunno what else you want me to tell ya...

That's all I wanted, thank you. Scholes actually scored 14 for England though, not 4. And their league scoring records are both 1 goal every 4.6 games. Eerily similar.

As I said earlier, Gerrard edges it for me, but I'm not sure those stats prove anything either way.

Snippes
18-6-11, 20:34
That's all I wanted, thank you. Scholes actually scored 14 for England though, not 4. And their league scoring records are both 1 goal every 4.6 games. Eerily similar.

As I said earlier, Gerrard edges it for me, but I'm not sure those stats prove anything either way.

Fair enough....am not a stats person either if its only used in exclusivity to make an argument. I used it as part of my argument but I also supported that argument by giving areas of strength as well as intangibles and then examples like Istanbul...or Cardiff...or a host of others where Gerrard has proven to me he is a superior player.

You are right about the stats but at least you can trust what your eyes tell you, can you not? You know your fooball - I can understand the idea of trying to hold the objective or contrary view even for a united player. Am just stating that while Scholes has been an exemplary legendary player - I for one am thrilled to death he is finally retired and cannot wait for Giggs to do the same - but even if you can make the argument for Scholes passing - Gerrard is just a superior player to Scholes in just about every manner you want your best ever player to be.

I won't take away from the greatness of a player even if I don't like them. If you compared Rooney to Dirk - I love Dirk....hate Rooney...I would swap them in a heartbeat to win a football game. This is just not the case in the Gerrard-Scholes argument.

When its all said and done, Gerrard will at worst be the second greatest player to ever wear a red shirt. Ever. Scholes isn't even the second greatest united player in his generation much less ever. I know greatest ever is different from better player....but I think it puts into persective this notion that its a close race. It isn't.

Stats, individual achievement, the eye test.....they all tell me what I know to be true. Gerrard >>>>Scholes.

cookpassbabtridge
18-6-11, 20:35
Scholes was an incredible player. Amazing technique.

It's close and they are both far and away in the lead for best English player of their generation.

I choose Gerrard he has that, crash, bang, wallop factor about him that turns games of football on their head.

Despite one being a Manc, I'm happy to have seen both play live.

Jazzy-J
18-6-11, 20:36
Let's just all agree that they're both terrific players and among the best the Prem has seen :)

Try picking an all time Prem centre midfield and dropping two of Keane, Vieira, Gerrard and Scholes :eek:

Dashmundo
18-6-11, 20:39
Let's just all agree that they're both terrific players and among the best the Prem has seen :)

Try picking an all time Prem centre midfield and dropping two of Keane, Vieira, Gerrard and Scholes :eek:

Definitely a good reason to use 3 in central midfield :D

SweetSilverSeven
18-6-11, 20:40

Such GREAT players!
Does the Premier League proud! :)

carlowscouser
18-6-11, 20:41

NO. Gerrard hands down is a more complete midfielder.. He can do it all were as Scholes couldn't. Fantastic player he was but Steven Gerrard he aint!:scarf

Snippes
18-6-11, 20:42

Keane and Gerrard. Not difficult at all mate.;)

But yeah, they are all greats. Happy to see how much respect Viera is getting here cause I wasn't sure he would be that appreciated. It just further befuddles how Arsene let him go so easily when he did....even if he was getting on a bit. I think its not hard to see why Fergie has been more successful than Arsene in that regard....Arsene out thinks himself, Fergie just understands that you need great players around even after their greatness has slowed because it rubs off on the rest of the team and retains that air of winning mentality.

Liverdinner
18-6-11, 20:45
People say Scholes wouldnt have won us the Cl and that is probably true, because he isnt that sort of player. But in a team he was equally effective as Gerrard.

If I was to call it, id maybe say Gerrard at a push, but in reality there is very littlle in it at all.

Spearmint16
18-6-11, 23:18
Lol Snipes got owned this thread.

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 00:25
I don't care what anybody says, I just don't like snipes due to his dripping condesension. Seriously, the guy's not stupid, but to consistently declare his opinion the "be-all and end-all" while insulting fellow posters is classless in my opinion.

There's no other poster I'd like to meet in a bar.

M5BMW
19-6-11, 00:28
I don't care what anybody says, I just don't like snipes due to his dripping condesension. Seriously, the guy's not stupid, but to consistently declare his opinion the "be-all and end-all" while insulting fellow posters is classless in my opinion.

There is know need for violence, just turn the other cheek and walk away

AayoTheRed
19-6-11, 00:30
No. It depends which criteria you are going by.

You can't just compare them in the sense of 'who was better'. That is disrespectful to two great players.

Both are immense in their own right.

Snippes
19-6-11, 00:30

Gotta love the internet tough guy.

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 00:31
There is know need for violence, just turn the other cheek and walk away

Who said anything about violence? perhaps I only wish to share a drink, look at his splindly form, and determine where the deep well of his misplaced superiortiy complex comes from. I'm a problem solver in the main.

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 00:32

Maychance I wish only to buy you a beverage...grape kneehigh perhaps?

;)

M5BMW
19-6-11, 00:35
Who said anything about violence? perhaps I only wish to share a drink, look at his splindly form, and determine where the deep well of his misplaced superiortiy complex comes from. I'm a problem solver in the main.

I thought you wanted to kill him untill he was dead

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 00:37
I thought you wanted to kill him untill he was dead

He's already dead in my eyes...he just doesn't realize it yet.

har, har,

joking.....he's just an internet persona that rubs me the wrong way...kinda like my wife.

Midophile
19-6-11, 00:39

Calm down Skeeter he ain't hurtin' nobody.

M5BMW
19-6-11, 00:42

har, har,

joking.....he's just an internet persona that rubs me the wrong way...kinda like my wife.

Thats unfortunate mate have you tried the kama sutra?

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 00:44
Oh, and in regards to Scholes vs Gerrard...hands down Gerrard is one of the most complete footballers of hs generation. Heart, soul, skill, drive, determination and complete love for the team he lays his body on the line for.

Scholes is also one of the better players of his generation but has played with a much better surrounding cast and management.

Both superb players, but when the chips are down, the game's on the line, ...who do you want on the pitch..Gerrard or Scholes?

My answer everytime would be Stevie.

Instabul, anyone?

and that's one example from the last 15 years that sticks in the mind.

1 V 1....Gerrard would eat Scholes every time.

RyanBabylon
19-6-11, 00:45

har, har,

Like a cat! ;)

One makes you meow, the other makes you hiss.

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 00:45
[/B]
Calm down Skeeter he ain't hurtin' nobody.

He hurts my feelings champ.....:eek:.......that's enough for me to type a few words. ;)

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 00:47
[/B][/B]

Thats unfortunate mate have you tried the kama sutra?

Cover to cover...it's over-rated.

Penthouse letters would be more beneficial in my opinion.

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 00:50
Like a cat! ;)

One makes you meow, the other makes you hiss.

HA....well-played. :D

M5BMW
19-6-11, 00:52
Cover to cover...it's over-rated.

Penthouse letters would be more beneficial in my opinion.

Have you got it the right way up?

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 00:58
Have you got it the right way up?

That's the thing...which is the right way up for the karma sutra? if you have actually read it, surely you have turned the book to multiple positions to determine exactly what's goin on!

Three turns counter-clockwise and a half turn to the left during a crescent moon unlocks more secrets than you can imagine!

Note, you must be wearing camel underwear during this transaction for the full effect.

Spearmint16
19-6-11, 01:02

He's a Yank what do you expect?

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 01:07
For the record...I would never apply any violence against a liverpool supporter.

The mere fact that Snipes and myself share a great love for what we believe to be the greatest team on the planet automatically means I would use violence to defend his opinion in respect for the team he adores.

It automatically equates a bond that is unbreakable. If our backs are against the wall, a true supporter sacrifices himself/herself to protect a fellow RED.

can I be irked? Yes...(as is obvious)...but I would back Snipes up long before an exorbiant amount of others in this world simply because he IS A RED! TRIED and TRUE.

I may disagree.....but much respect Snipes due to the love we share with the greatest footballing team in the universe.

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 01:15
He's a Yank what do you expect?

That actually explains alot.....I should have known.

M5BMW
19-6-11, 01:18
That's the thing...which is the right way up for the karma sutra? if you have actually read it, surely you have turned the book to multiple positions to determine exactly what's goin on!

Three turns counter-clockwise and a half turn to the left during a crescent moon unlocks more secrets than you can imagine!

Note, you must be wearing camel underwear during this transaction for the full effect.

commando son

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 01:21
commando son

See....you obviously do not read Arabic to make that inference!

Commando...is a loose translation of "camel" in the Hebrew dialect. Easy mistake to make.

M5BMW
19-6-11, 01:22
See....you obviously do not read Arabic to make that inference!

Commando...is a loose translation of "camel" in the Hebrew dialect. Easy mistake to make.

Thats no mistake, thats what I meant

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 01:26
Thats no mistake, thats what I meant

Apologies BIGRAFASGHOST.....it's hard to infer truth over the internet. Now we agree!

and damn...you speak Hebrew AND Arabic....much respect!!!!!!

prredhouse
19-6-11, 01:28
gerrard still playing isnt he? mute thread..sorry:eek:

Chickenliver
19-6-11, 01:42

Don't agree there, re-watch him in the champs league over the years. Gerrard always knows what he wants the outcome to be before he's passed, quick one two's are what he is very very good at.

I'm sorry Scholes is know where near as dominant, effective, or the big game match winner Stevie is. Gerrard is the best midfielder the Prem has ever seen.

Liverdinner
19-6-11, 01:50
People say Scholes isnt as effective as Gerrard but he has been destroying teams in a subtle and classy way for years. He is effective like Zidane was effective.

Jazzy-J
19-6-11, 01:52
Don't agree there, re-watch him in the champs league over the years. Gerrard always knows what he wants the outcome to be before he's passed, quick one two's are what he is very very good at.

I'm sorry Scholes is know where near as dominant, effective, or the big game match winner Stevie is. Gerrard is the best midfielder the Prem has ever seen.

I said twice that Gerrard was the better player, just that Scholes suits that particular type of football better. I wholeheartedly disagree that it's a strength of Gerrard's - in fact I think it's one of his few weaknesses.

prredhouse
19-6-11, 01:53
hang on gerrard's legacy is still being wrote schloes is yesterday man now..i refuse to celebrate a dirty player something stevie isnt:scarf

#CavaniToLiverpool
19-6-11, 02:08
Scholes is a ginger **** and cant tackle, Gerrard is the best player of all time, end of... :scarf

prredhouse
19-6-11, 02:10
hang on im ginger then again im irish ginger which means more..yea scholes is a just a c..t

Sanduskyy
19-6-11, 02:24
hang on gerrard's legacy is still being wrote schloes is yesterday man now..i refuse to celebrate a dirty player something stevie isnt:scarf

True enough, Scholes has quit already and Stevie's still kicking.

#CavaniToLiverpool
19-6-11, 03:26
Scholes bottled it on international level and Gerrard led us to the premier league and world cup double... (in 2014) :scarf

TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel
19-6-11, 07:35

It not biased, its a statement of fact.

The Chelsea mates are just bitter he snubbed them twice.

End of thread.

What a silly thread anywho, you need to stop hanging around with Mancs. :D

the-las
19-6-11, 07:49
Scholes fantastic footballer of that there can be no doubt.

But was never as mobile as stevie or as emphatically influential.

there ends the story for me.

Ihaveadream
19-6-11, 09:46
are you being biased?

probably, maybe but over the same time frame you have to say Scholes would just pip it.

If he had learned to tackle he would be up there with zidane, no?

caple
19-6-11, 10:24
Better at short passing?? :confused: Meaning what, that he is better than Torres at completing the 5 yard sideways pass? Lucas is awesome at short passing. So what? :D If you were going to make an argument about range of passing, then I would be impressed. But short passing supremacy - err, okay.

As for Scholes being more creative....Gerrard's goals, assists, creating of chances for other less talented players over the years suggests that I can make the case that Gerrard is more creative, certainly more impactful and productive than Scholes is.

I gave stats as one of the reasons....not the only reason. I have also stated many times other areas like leadership (on and off the field), the incredible ability to take a game over when everything seems stacked against him...the ability to come through in the absolute clutch...to raise not just his game but the game of others.

Every team will have its fans being biased to a fault. But...if you selected 100 random passionate united fans from around the world, injected them with truth cerum and told them no one needs to know they did this - but you told them - you can have Steven Gerrard OR Paul Scholes - both at their prime performances - for the next 10 years. Do you think biases aside you would get at least a few manc fans picking Gerrard over Scholes? I do. I think even with biases some would pick Gerrard.

If you did the same experiment with random fans from other teams who have no skin in the game....I would be shocked if you found many picking Scholes if any at all.

And there is your answer.

This is not to say Scoles is crap...am in no way saying that. Am just stating that Gerrard is and has been better than Scholes. Simple as that.

Wow. Firstly, you used short passing as something that Gerrard is better at. So have a word with yourself.

And secondly: Really? Are you being serious?

Spearmint16
19-6-11, 13:38
Scholes bottled it on international level and Gerrard led us to the premier league and world cup double... (in 2014) :scarf

Both Gerrard and Scholes have underachieved at international level, but that's down to management IMO.

festinho
19-6-11, 13:44
The myth of Paul Scholes makes him comparable to Gerrard. In reality though, it's Stevie all day every day for me. Look at it this way, Scholes has hardly been key man for United at times (especially in the earlier days) he was actually a squad player. If Stevie was at Utd he would be first choice all day.

I don't buy the myth about Paul Scholes, even if Xavi praised him. He was a very good player but for his type of English player, it was certainly a case of: in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. If you really want to compare, even though the positions are different, then it is Giggs vs Gerrard. Stevie is soooo underrated.

-Bodie-
19-6-11, 15:53

**** me i thought i'd seen it all on here. wesley calling someone else an internet tough guy? :D Your the biggest keyboard warrior on here. You've just proven again in this thread why i call you a typical yank. Thinks he knows it all when really he knows **** all and cant accept other people having a different opinion to his own.

WindyShepherdHenderson
19-6-11, 16:09
Is Snipes still raging?

-Bodie-
19-6-11, 16:13
Is Snipes still raging?

Isn't he always.

Y2Kyle
19-6-11, 16:21
are you being biased?

probably, maybe but over the same time frame you have to say Scholes would just pip it.

If he had learned to tackle he would be up there with zidane, no?

Your reputation renders your opinion useless.

Keverson
19-6-11, 16:26
I'd say Gerrard is all round a better player by Scholes, but not by much. As people have already mentioned, it depends on what team you're wanting them to play in.

For example, I personally think Scholes would fit in at Barcelona, whereas Gerrard would struggle because his style doesn't quite fit how they play.

On an international note, both of them have been unlucky in that they should have both been utilised much better. Scholes should have been who the England team was built around in the early 2000s, not being shunted out to the left. Much the same way the England team should have been built around Gerrard for the past 5 years or so, yet the managers have rather fit them in just so Lampard can play.

Y2Kyle
19-6-11, 16:28
I didn't have the pleasure of watching Scholes in his early years but in the last 5 years for me he has done nothing special. He sits pretty deep pinging balls out to the wings and starts plays but that's about it, his overall game is nothing compared to Gerrard, not in a million years. Plus, he is ginger, so yeah.

Spearmint16
19-6-11, 16:31
In his early days, Scholes was genius. Huge part of Mancs success down the years.

It really is a close one, two different players both better at different things.

Warbi
19-6-11, 16:50
In answer to the OP, no you're not. You have a good arguable case. At their peaks they were different types of player, but both world class.

carraforcaptain
19-6-11, 17:03
Well if you take the view that we have been a one man team with Gerrard(as many manc fans do), and then a two man team between 2007 and 2010, and also keep in mind that Man u would always contend that they are an 11 man team, and then take these 2 points to their logical conclusion (that Stevie was responsible for all of the points we attained in the prem between 1998 and 2007 and half of them between 2007-10, and scholes responsible for 1/11 of the mancs'), you can mathematically prove Gerrard to be the better player!(well not really but I've started now)

Scholes' prem career began in 94, since then man u have accumulated 1398 points, divide that by 11 and you have 127.09090909091 (which I will, erroneously, refer to as the sum total of Scholes' prem career). Stevie's began in 1998, since when (excluding this season) we have accumulated 827 points, taking in to account our seasons as an alleged two man team gerrard has been responsible for 714.5 points making him (714.5/127.09090909091) 5.62195994278 times the player that scholes is with a shorter career to date.

Obviously this doesn't have much bearing on reality but it does serve to highlight some of the stupidity behind calling us a 1/2 man team

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-4-12, 13:51
Bump for Mossy.

steppag1
18-4-12, 14:03
IMO Scholes has aspects of his game that are better than Steven Gerrard, but i would say Gerrard is better because he is a much better all round player he has a bit of everything

Seanosdelgardo
18-4-12, 14:05
Here we go.....

Liverdinner
18-4-12, 14:20
I love it when Snipes resorts to bombarding people with ' :D ' icons, as if he is actually laughing instead of furiously bashing his keyboard.

Dousty
18-4-12, 14:24
Scholes played (plays) more of a withdrawn role - as in further back from the strikers, whereas Stevie, particularly at his peak would play further forward, in wide areas; certainly less in central midfield anyway. Scholes is more likely to dictate a game from further back than Gerrard is and is certainly less "gung-ho" than our skipper.

Despite that Gerrard definitely has the edge in tackling - Scholes is awful. Gerrard also has the ability to play a number of different roles for the team and play them very well. Scholes is an (albeit brilliant exponent of his role) one trick pony.

They're probably level for shooting, Gerrard is the better dribbler and has more pace but Scholes has probably better game intelligence which is the reason he seems to influence so many matches without necessarily running all over the shop.

That said I wouldn't swap Stevie for Scholes, not back then, and certainly not now. Stevie is one of a kind - a complete all-round midfielder who is a legend in my eyes and always will be. :scarf

WindyShepherdHenderson
18-4-12, 14:24
I love it when Snipes resorts to bombarding people with ' :D ' icons, as if he is actually laughing instead of furiously bashing his keyboard.

I picture him as doing this:

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp105/markymark689/Random/gif1.gif

Liverdinner
18-4-12, 14:26
I picture him as doing this:

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp105/markymark689/Random/gif1.gif

Ha I love that.