PDA

View Full Version : Michel Bastos

REDULATE
8-7-11, 16:28
Apparently bid for him, 14 million.

I reckon it is a ploy, and a message to Villa as if to say ''we can easily just walk away from the Downing deal if you **** us about''.

kop96lfc
8-7-11, 16:29
is this news or based on the talksport story from earlier

REDULATE
8-7-11, 16:30
is this news or based on the talksport story from earlier

http://twitter.com/#!/Futbol_Mercado

Seems a genuine account with 32k followers..

Also:

http://www.fanatix.com/liverpool-track-12m-brazil-star/

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-transfer-news-Reds-eyeing-summer-swoop-for-Lyon-star-Michel-Bastos-report-article709287.html

http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/liverpool-interested-in-lyon-winger-michel-bastos-.html

To name but a few.

truthreds
8-7-11, 16:34
14mil??not a chance..lyon paid 18mil for him,plus hes will turn in 28 soon.so i dont think he fits into our young category,but i would like us to sign him tho..class player.

kop96lfc
8-7-11, 16:35
http://twitter.com/#!/Futbol_Mercado

Seems a genuine account with 32k followers..

Also:

http://www.fanatix.com/liverpool-track-12m-brazil-star/

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-transfer-news-Reds-eyeing-summer-swoop-for-Lyon-star-Michel-Bastos-report-article709287.html

http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/liverpool-interested-in-lyon-winger-michel-bastos-.html

To name but a few.

Not having a go , but there is a thread on him already , and the links provided are not good sources, and the Mirror story is from March.

DirKuytinho
8-7-11, 16:36
Think the price was 14m. Know of him, dont know that much about him.

vecchio47toes
8-7-11, 16:41
that would be sweeet. the lower price might have to do with time left on contract, player wanting to leave etc. doesn't seem too out of the question

would be an exciting player to sign though!!

hoping we add Diego to that, have a little group of brazilians lol :scarf

L1verFC
8-7-11, 16:42
Can't see us paying 14-15 million for a player who turns 28 in 3-4 weeks.

He is a decent player can play Lw or Lb pacey, great crosser very much all left foot

AlessoAfrojackAvicii
8-7-11, 16:43
Jesus Christ this age excuse needs to stop. He's a good player, end of. He's our best option since we lost out on Fabio Coentrao - can play both LB and LM.

WindyShepherdHenderson
8-7-11, 16:44
Jesus Christ this age excuse needs to stop. He's a good player, end of. He's our best option since we lost out on Fabio Coentrao - can play both LB and LM.

We never lost out on Coentrao because we were never in for him.

AlessoAfrojackAvicii
8-7-11, 16:47
We never lost out on Coentrao because we were never in for him.

I didn't say we were in for him, I ment he's gone to Madrid so he's not available anymore.

AlessoAfrojackAvicii
8-7-11, 17:24
I'd love to see him here.

Reina
Kelly Carra Agger Johnson
Lucas Adam
Kuyt Gerrard Bastos
Suarez

Hobbes.
8-7-11, 17:26
Would be a great signing. Sort of a Gareth Bale in terms of positions he can play.

AlessoAfrojackAvicii
8-7-11, 17:26
Would be a great signing. Sort of a Gareth Bale in terms of positions he can play.

Good shout that mate

T34
8-7-11, 17:29
I'd love to see him here.

Reina
Kelly Carra Agger Johnson
Lucas Adam
Kuyt Gerrard Bastos
Suarez

Really not a fan of Carroll are you? I do not think we will see Suarez lead our line. He operates inbetween the lines and runs at players. Most of his best performances have come from him running onto players from the left. Swap Suarez with Kuyt and put Carroll to lead the line and I think you are right about the forward line. As for the back line I have no clue.

AlessoAfrojackAvicii
8-7-11, 17:30
Really not a fan of Carroll are you? I do not think we will see Suarez lead our line. He operates inbetween the lines and runs at players. Most of his best performances have come from him running onto players from the left. Swap Suarez with Kuyt and put Carroll to lead the line and I think you are right about the forward line. As for the back line I have no clue.

Nah not a fan of Carroll, imo he's a good player to have on the bench but I'd rather have Suarez lead our line.

RiiseAgainst
8-7-11, 17:32
Haven't seen an awful lot of him myself, but a couple of my mates reckon he would be great for us.

RogerHuntelaar
8-7-11, 17:33
Nah not a fan of Carroll, imo he's a good player to have on the bench but I'd rather have Suarez lead our line.

I think Carroll is gonna surprise a lot of people next season.

Spearmint16
8-7-11, 17:34

I totally agree.

L1verFC
8-7-11, 17:38
I think Carroll is gonna surprise a lot of people next season.

I think the team this season may well be built around Carroll such as width , delivery into the box to utilise his height advantage.

He is certainly going to be heading our attack with Suarez just off him

RogerHuntelaar
8-7-11, 17:39
I think the team this season may well be built around Carroll such as width , delivery into the box to utilise his height advantage.

He is certainly going to be heading our attack with Suarez just off him

I agree. Great talent. Not a spectacular flair player, but one that does the job.

L1verFC
8-7-11, 17:47
I agree. Great talent. Not a spectacular flair player, but one that does the job.

Exactly he is not going to dribble his way from the half way line and score a goal , but used in a certain way he is very dangerous and will score and make goals. Fully fit last season I can't remember seeing a defender handle him in the air so playing against a team with andy causing problems aerial wise and Suarez running every where left,right,middle it's a defences worst night mare.

Andy will play a major role for seasons to come people have to get used to the fact he does not play pretty football like Suarez but he causes problems in his own way.

Mapeke
8-7-11, 17:47
I don't rate Bastos as a winger. He looks good as an attack-minded fullback though.

Snippes
8-7-11, 17:49

This. I think people take that "rule" far too literally. Most of our players are going to be younger but I think when the right talented player is available at 27 or 28 then absolutely we can go in for him if the price is right.

Bastos would definitely make me happy if we can't get Enrique especially. I have no idea why people get excited about Cissokkho. Bastos would be a far better option IMO - far more refined and cultured....and classy.

L1verFC
8-7-11, 17:54
This. I think people take that "rule" far too literally. Most of our players are going to be younger but I think when the right talented player is available at 27 or 28 then absolutely we can go in for him if the price is right.

Bastos would definitely make me happy if we can't get Enrique especially. I have no idea why people get excited about Cissokkho. Bastos would be a far better option IMO - far more refined and cultured....and classy.

Don't you find bastos as a Lb is another great going forward but suspect in defence ? He is certainly better attacking than defending , I think enrique is a great option for a Lb composed, good defensively but can improve , and experienced in the premier league

vecchio47toes
8-7-11, 18:07
to be fair, I'd much rather have a great attacking left back then just a "solid" one that is decent in both areas. and with our defense and in england, great pace will go a long way in making up for any defensive weakness. think that's why people seem to rate Enrique so highly

riacan
8-7-11, 18:17
I don't know about Bastos, he is a phenomenal player though I am not sure if he is what we need.

We need an established player specifically for LW & LB, although Bastos boasts the versatility to play both these positions very well for club and country he is a master of neither. I really rate him very highly as a versatile left sided player but I do not think he offers what we need in attack from midfield and he is too vulnerable defensively as a left back.

Although he does have exceptional power and accuracy from his left foot and takes long range free kicks as well as any player I have ever seen.

I don't think he is exactly what we need in terms of playing style nor does he fit FSGs model targets, but I certainly would not complain if we bought him.

CrawleyRed
8-7-11, 18:50
Well someone had to post it! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAG9wesNdO4)

Ibbbss
8-7-11, 19:04
He is only one year older than downing is he not? so I don't see how his age is a problem, while downings age is not. to be honest, I would rather we pay 14m euro's for Bastos then over 20,000,000 for downing, if thats what villa want.

OurFinishingBoots
8-7-11, 19:40
He is only one year older than downing is he not? so I don't see how his age is a problem, while downings age is not. to be honest, I would rather we pay 14m euro's for Bastos then over 20,000,000 for downing, if thats what villa want.

Hell I'd rather we payed 24 mil for Baston than 20-22 for Downing. Downing is useful for us b/c he can play RW and LW both positions we need quality in. Bastos would be huge could he can play LW and LB our two biggest needs; however, he can also play RW. Kind of like a Messi/Robben as in a left footer on the right to cut in and unleash shots on their favoured foot. Robben does it effectively with cutting in on his left and bending it far post, Michel can do that but he also has a CANNON and can just lace it far post as well.

I'd love him for left back because his pace can help us when we are getting countered, and his crossing on his left foot. LW would also be cool cause he is Brazilian and can get himself free for a cross, but I'd love to see him in our free-flowing interchangeable team because imagine he is ripping the left flank a new one getting wide, then switches to the right flank, cuts in and unleashes a howitzer. Watch that video up there and you'll see his left foot, espc on set pieces is extraordinare. Those long free kicks he makes zips in the net with so much force and momentum that its back out of the goal before you even know it.

L1verFC
8-7-11, 19:44
Hell I'd rather we payed 24 mil for Baston than 20-22 for Downing. Downing is useful for us b/c he can play RW and LW both positions we need quality in. Bastos would be huge could he can play LW and LB our two biggest needs; however, he can also play RW. Kind of like a Messi/Robben as in a left footer on the right to cut in and unleash shots on their favoured foot. Robben does it effectively with cutting in on his left and bending it far post, Michel can do that but he also has a CANNON and can just lace it far post as well.

I'd love him for left back because his pace can help us when we are getting countered, and his crossing on his left foot. LW would also be cool cause he is Brazilian and can get himself free for a cross, but I'd love to see him in our free-flowing interchangeable team because imagine he is ripping the left flank a new one getting wide, then switches to the right flank, cuts in and unleashes a howitzer. Watch that video up there and you'll see his left foot, espc on set pieces is extraordinare. Those long free kicks he makes zips in the net with so much force and momentum that its back out of the goal before you even know it.

Would you play robben at Lb ?

Bastos is great going forward but suspect In defence , I'd rather we went for Enrique a solid composed Lb and downing a proven winger with all the attributes we need

vecchio47toes
8-7-11, 20:20
the same case was often made against Dani Alves back when he was on the market... great going forward but "suspect in defense"

we all see how that turned out. at the prices quoted, it would be foolish not to be in the mix for bastos :scarf

Stan85
8-7-11, 20:29

Very good video that!

The left footed shots :eek: Reminds me of Roberto Carlos.

Personally I've only really seen him play in the last World Cup and he was excellent then. Has great feet, typical Brazilian player really with a fair bit of flair too.

Would be a very exciting player to sign imo! Hope we get him :) Opposition would have serious trouble stopping the likes of him and Johnson on our flanks.

Snippes
8-7-11, 20:30
Don't you find bastos as a Lb is another great going forward but suspect in defence ? He is certainly better attacking than defending , I think enrique is a great option for a Lb composed, good defensively but can improve , and experienced in the premier league

I don't fret over the defensive "weakness" of FBs as some here do, I guess. Give me an attacking FB who is terrific going forward causing all kinds of headaches and I will take my chances with good CBs and a good DM to cover for their defensive shortfalls. I would rather think we will have the ball more and be taking it to the other team and making them worry about us more than vice versa.

The only FB I know of who is equally solid going forward and backward that makes me foam at the mouth is Maicon (pre-Gareth Bale anyways). Most others are going to be either average going forward but super solid defending or awesome going forward but suspect defending. FBs who are not great or don't offer much going forward bore me and leave me lusting for better attacking FBs all the time. I liked Arbeloa a lot as he was solid all round especially defensively but not amazing going forward - I felt I was still in search for something better. Now that we have Glen, I couldn't be happier.

festinho
8-7-11, 20:30
Can't see us paying 14-15 million for a player who turns 28 in 3-4 weeks.

He is a decent player can play Lw or Lb pacey, great crosser very much all left foot

'All left foot' :D. Do you know that most right footed players are very much all right foot?

Ibeeeeey-lieve
8-7-11, 20:43
saw him live in the WC, and i've liked him...

typical "brazilian fullback" in many ways.

Is he in the copa squad? Dont recall seeing his name in the squad list recently.

RedGlosTaffy
8-7-11, 20:44

On that evidence get him in and get him in a to the s to the a to the p.

Stan85
8-7-11, 20:46
I don't fret over the defensive "weakness" of FBs as some here do, I guess. Give me an attacking FB who is terrific going forward causing all kinds of headaches and I will take my chances with good CBs and a good DM to cover for their defensive shortfalls. I would rather think we will have the ball more and be taking it to the other team and making them worry about us more than vice versa.

The only FB I know of who is equally solid going forward and backward that makes me foam at the mouth is Maicon (pre-Gareth Bale anyways). Most others are going to be either average going forward but super solid defending or awesome going forward but suspect defending. FBs who are not great or don't offer much going forward bore me and leave me lusting for better attacking FBs all the time. I liked Arbeloa a lot as he was solid all round especially defensively but not amazing going forward - I felt I was still in search for something better. Now that we have Glen, I couldn't be happier.

Would very much agree with that.

Full backs in the Bastos and Johnson category are like mini match winners at times, especially when we are trying to break down solid deep defending teams at Anfield.

Also very exciting to watch.

Hope we get him.

L1verFC
8-7-11, 20:47
'All left foot' :D. Do you know that most right footed players are very much all right foot?

Well there are right footed and left footed players who can be comfortable passing , taking a touch , shooting if needed on their weaker foot.

There are players who are not comfortable doing any of the above with their weak foot at all and will stray away from using their weaker foot , bastos is very much a player who does every thing on his left side and at times only goes 1 direction

CrawleyRed
9-7-11, 15:38
Just want to establish first that I'm am purely passing this on as an intermediary (a pawn if you will) but the editors on footballrumours.co.uk (I am well aware that site is the bottom of the barrel, but its because its based on random folk posting whatever rumour they can make up in their tiny brains. The editors on the other hand are usually very clued in to what is actually going on. They broke the 'Adam has definitely signed' news about an hour before I saw it anywhere else.) Anyway, they rarely pass on much info unless they are sure about it, but they are telling people that we have made a bid of 9m euros for Bastos, but believe Lyon are after 14m. Player would like to join Juve, but is willing to come here if Juve can't match our bid.

Has also said Cissokho is more likely to join Arsenal as he has 'issues' with Commolli. No idea what that means though. :confused:

Now insert any cliche you wish... take with a pinch of salt, make of it what you will, kick your cat in excitement, wave your genitals at the computer screen shouting "this is what I think of footballrumours.co.uk! Blah!"

festinho
9-7-11, 15:40
Well there are right footed and left footed players who can be comfortable passing , taking a touch , shooting if needed on their weaker foot.

There are players who are not comfortable doing any of the above with their weak foot at all and will stray away from using their weaker foot , bastos is very much a player who does every thing on his left side and at times only goes 1 direction

Fair enough but I rarely hear people say 'all right foot' even though there are way more right footed than left footed players.

SufferUntoTheLucas
9-7-11, 16:05

that freekick on 50 sec give me a semi :eek:

RedXForever
9-7-11, 16:54
Yes please, would definitely love a flair Brazilian player. For, all those talking about him playing left-back, forget it, he is far too good, especially since we dont have any special wingers.

Bastos plus a left-back, and we are sorted, unless we can get Mata as well. Stick it up Villa's for acting all smug.

Ad_Rock
9-7-11, 16:58
He's absolutely brilliant. I like Downing, I think he'd do well here but Villa can shove it up their asking price if we can get this guy.

MaradonaTheGreatest
9-7-11, 17:02
Too old. Has some skill but doesn't seem to have much intelligence in his play.

AlvaroRecoba
9-7-11, 17:17
27 is too old now. :FP:

RedXForever
9-7-11, 17:25

I think we have a better chance of signing Downing than signing Bastos. Juve are after him, and he I don't think he wants to play in the premier league, but if he did, he would have some impact.

He would galvanize our side, like we haven't seen in a long time. He is like Adriano at times, when he wasn't fat.

Also, he has that Brazilian genius about him to pull out rabbits on a fairly decent regular basis. Only Stevie G and Suarez can do that in our side. Downing might be a good signing, Mata is an unknown and can be like Silva - a very very good player, but Bastos if he settles has the potential to be dynamite.

So, I think we would be lucky if we could sign him, but again I don't think he will come here to the premier league.

KanyeWest
9-7-11, 17:31

Bastos is great going forward but suspect In defence , I'd rather we went for Enrique a solid composed Lb and downing a proven winger with all the attributes we need

Top teams very rarely have 'solid composed' fullbacks. They have fullbacks that are great going forward and not so good defensively.

KanyeWest
9-7-11, 17:33

:FP:

OurFinishingBoots
9-7-11, 18:50

I am also a big fan of Enrique and wouldn't mind if we got him but I rather think Bastos can do the job. He's played there for both Lyon and Brazil so has some experience. Has far as being suspect in defense, they do say the best defense is a good offense, well this is espcially true for fullbacks because if their winger and full back is constantly pushed back from fear of being exposed, then he wouldn't be forced into a huge amounts of 1 on 1s (ala Konch vs Lennon in the game at White Hart Lane) and if he is in situation like that one, his immense pace can help close them down. Plus he'
d be around better defenders and Steve Clarke who can take some of the flaws out of his game. Plus as someone else said Lucas is SUPERB at covering and is only going to get better at it (see his helping of Robinson in the Birmingham game where the two cornered, I think, Hleb in a corner and won us the thrown in) so between Carra's organizational skills and Lucas' awareness and covering, Bastos would be fine plus he can pop up on the left or right flank.

Then again this is all hypothetical and I can't wait for next Wednesday, I just wish we already had our LB.

And no I wouldn't put Robben ANYWHERE behind the half-way line

11-7-11, 13:58
Just seen this on sky website, would take him WITH Downing..........anyone else?

liverjackpool
11-7-11, 14:03

Why would be play a right winger at LB? Bastos has experience at LB, Robben doesn't even know what the word defending means

iamnottian
11-7-11, 14:48
Seen him played only once, that is during World Cup, Brazil vs Holland. He gave me the impression that he is very good going forward, but gets caught out of defensive position a few times. Might be a little similar to glen johnson, good going forward but a little shaky defensively. So for 14 - 15 mils, i am in between.

JWilliams
23-2-13, 01:10
I know this is an old thread but i thought it better not to start a new thread on him. I think he would be a great signing this summer. Would be a good back up left back, and would be a very good option on the wing. Out of favour at Lyon and is currently on loan at Schalke (3 goals in 3 games). Don't think he would cost too much and although he will be 30 in the summer he will bring champions league/international experience and experience is imo, what we currently need. Opinions?

-CADS-
23-2-13, 01:13
I know this is an old thread but i thought it better not to start a new thread on him. I think he would be a great signing this summer. Would be a good back up left back, and would be a very good option on the wing. Out of favour at Lyon and is currently on loan at Schalke (3 goals in 3 games). Don't think he would cost too much and although he will be 30 in the summer he will bring champions league/international experience and experience is imo, what we currently need. Opinions?

Think he's a cracking player. He's more of a left winger though and I don't think that'll be a priority position this summer.

JWilliams
23-2-13, 01:19
Think he's a cracking player. He's more of a left winger though and I don't think that'll be a priority position this summer.

What positions do you reckon we need to strengthen? Personally I want another cb ( first team) a back up left back , another winger and a backup striker. For me Bastos would count as two of those 4.

Sheen1979
23-2-13, 01:59
What positions do you reckon we need to strengthen? Personally I want another cb ( first team) a back up left back , another winger and a backup striker. For me Bastos would count as two of those 4.

With Carra retiring and question marks over Coates and Skrtel, we will be looking for 2-3 CBs id say, not just 1. Need a LB and a DM to cover/compete with Lucas, and also a GK if Pepe leaves. I think thats all we can expect from the summer, but in saying that it would be a lot of INs, and its never that easy