PDA

View Full Version : Villa tell Liverpool: You're wasting your time over Stewart Downing

KOPGIRL1971
9-7-11, 12:09
Aston Villa tell Liverpool: You're wasting your time over Stewart Downing
By Mat Kendrick
Jul 9 2011

ASTON Villa have told Liverpool to stop wasting their time on Stewart Downing – as Alex McLeish focuses instead on raiding Blues this weekend for his potential new assistant boss Peter Grant.

It has emerged that Kenny Dalglish’s side originally had a £12 million offer for Downing rejected out of hand three weeks ago before returning with an improved £15 million bid on Tuesday.

Villa are insulted by the Anfield giants’ valuations of Downing, particularly the opening gambit which was the amount Villa originally paid for the winger when he was injured two years ago.

A mooted third bid predicted to be around the £18 million mark has not materialised and the claret and blues are keen for Liverpool to now divert their attentions away from the England wideman.

Randy Lerner, Paul Faulkner and McLeish are adamant there is no need or desire to sell the former Middlesbrough favourite who still has two years on his contract despite rejecting a new deal.

Even if Downing attempts to force the issue with a formal transfer request Villa are prepared to stick to their stance and keep him against his wishes, unless Kenny Dalglish returns with an irresistible offer, possibly as high as £25 million.

Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov revealed Downing displayed a professional attitude when the first team squad returned to pre-season training and met the new manager at Bodymoor Heath yesterday.

“We’d love to keep Stewart, he had an exceptional season last season and he’s a great talent,” said Petrov.

“But the chairman is the man who knows what is right and wrong for the club and he will always do what is right.

“In the first season here Stewart he was injured and didn’t have a full pre-season. When he did get a full pre-season last season he was flying from the start to the end. That’s why he was voted player of the year.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/07/09/aston-villa-tell-liverpool-you-re-wasting-your-time-over-downing-97319-29022493/#ixzz1RbaudvAY

If a third bid has not been forthcoming, I wonder if it means we are looking elsewhere? No way we should be paying anywhere near £25m for him

Pity we didn't get in before the mancs bought young

WineForMyMen
9-7-11, 12:13
By Mat Kendrick
Jul 9 2011

ASTON Villa have told Liverpool to stop wasting their time on Stewart Downing – as Alex McLeish focuses instead on raiding Blues this weekend for his potential new assistant boss Peter Grant.

It has emerged that Kenny Dalglish’s side originally had a £12 million offer for Downing rejected out of hand three weeks ago before returning with an improved £15 million bid on Tuesday.

Villa are insulted by the Anfield giants’ valuations of Downing, particularly the opening gambit which was the amount Villa originally paid for the winger when he was injured two years ago.

A mooted third bid predicted to be around the £18 million mark has not materialised and the claret and blues are keen for Liverpool to now divert their attentions away from the England wideman.

Randy Lerner, Paul Faulkner and McLeish are adamant there is no need or desire to sell the former Middlesbrough favourite who still has two years on his contract despite rejecting a new deal.

Even if Downing attempts to force the issue with a formal transfer request Villa are prepared to stick to their stance and keep him against his wishes, unless Kenny Dalglish returns with an irresistible offer, possibly as high as £25 million.

Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov revealed Downing displayed a professional attitude when the first team squad returned to pre-season training and met the new manager at Bodymoor Heath yesterday.

“We’d love to keep Stewart, he had an exceptional season last season and he’s a great talent,” said Petrov.

“But the chairman is the man who knows what is right and wrong for the club and he will always do what is right.

“In the first season here Stewart he was injured and didn’t have a full pre-season. When he did get a full pre-season last season he was flying from the start to the end. That’s why he was voted player of the year.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/07/09/aston-villa-tell-liverpool-you-re-wasting-your-time-over-downing-97319-29022493/#ixzz1RbaudvAY

If a third bid has not been forthcoming, I wonder if it means we are looking elsewhere? No way we should be paying anywhere near £25m for him

Fine. Let's move on, and quickly. Why Comolli is going to China I don't know. Pre-season underway, most important element of pre-season starts tomorrow, and we still haven't signed a LB or LM/LW (let alone sold anyone, improved other areas like CB)

CrawleyRed
9-7-11, 12:15
Fine, lets just settle for Mata. ;) £18m is the limit and if they're gonna be stubborn about it (funny how they never are when a team from Manchester come calling) then lets leave them to it.

KOPGIRL1971
9-7-11, 12:16
Fine. Let's move on, and quickly. Why Comolli is going to China I don't know. Pre-season underway, most important element of pre-season starts tomorrow, and we still haven't signed a LB or LM/LW (let alone sold anyone, improved other areas like CB)

He's going for a Chinese apparently ;)

Seanosdelgardo
9-7-11, 12:18

Perhaps Comolli isnt the only deal maker in the management setup.

welshypool
9-7-11, 12:20

:D

Its the modern world, I'm sure any deals that are set up can be continue to be conducted with the pile of communication technologies available to us. There is a myth that all deals have to be concluded when going on pre-season, well on this basis virtually every prem league club has failed in the market. I'm sure the club are, as stated just yesterday, looking to bring in more players and get rid of a few so can't say I'm as panicked as you are.

Some of our fans on these boards certainly would make appalling poker players!

KOPGIRL1971
9-7-11, 12:21
How long does the tour last?
...8 days apparently

As well as a gruelling 14,000-mile round trip, Liverpool will have to contend with searing heat.

It will be around 34 degrees in Guangzhou where humidity is around 80% and with the monsoon season in full flow torrential downpours are expected.

Malaysia also promises to be sticky work with temperatures of around 30 degrees and 70% humidity.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/07/09/exclusive-liverpool-fc-boss-kenny-dalglish-on-reds-pre-season-tour-100252-29020863/2/#ixzz1RbexAZlM

Acornhead
9-7-11, 12:22
Good, sick of Villa always trying to drag us into a public auction. Let them rot when they get regulated next season.

fy7reds
9-7-11, 12:24
Good, sick of Villa always trying to drag us into a public auction. Let them rot when they get regulated next season.

Yes its disgraceful, I cant understand why they would want to get as much as they can for their star player.

brummiered01
9-7-11, 12:24

Warren G & Nate Dogg in da house!

Skip Bayless
9-7-11, 12:25
Fine, lets just settle for Mata. ;) £18m is the limit and if they're gonna be stubborn about it (funny how they never are when a team from Manchester come calling) then lets leave them to it.

Downing has two years left on his contract whereas Young was in the final year. Can't really blame them for not wanting to sell their best player when they don't have to. They could probably sell him next summer and still get a good fee.

We're going to have to pay well over the odds to land him.

KOPGIRL1971
9-7-11, 12:26
Yes its disgraceful, I cant understand why they would want to get as much as they can for their star player.

I agree they are entitled to get as much as they can, but they do always seem to make it difficult for us, whereas, man u wander in and get want they want without much fuss and at a reasonable price - although I have just seen roberto's post about young being in his final year - but villa do still despise us!

Lqd6
9-7-11, 12:26
Can see that statement being naught if he hands in a transfer request.

brummiered01
9-7-11, 12:27
I agree they are entitled to get as much as they can, but they do always seem to make it difficult for us, whereas, man u wander in and get want they want without much fuss

completely dfferent once a player only has a year left on their contract though.

Graggster
9-7-11, 12:28
We will get him dont worry.. Villa wont wanna lose him for half the price next season and more importantly Mcleish will want to bring in his own players on long term contracts to build long term.

We just need to be patient like we were with Adam.

KOPGIRL1971
9-7-11, 12:29
completely dfferent once a player only has a year left on their contract though.

yes, I amended my post :)

que-sera-sera
9-7-11, 12:30
Hes going to have to hand in a request ,however do villa really want to keep a player who doesnt want to be there and his contract is dwindling?

brummiered01
9-7-11, 12:32
Hes going to have to hand in a request ,however do villa really want to keep a player who doesnt want to be there and his contract is dwindling?

I think they'll still sell if they got what they think is a fair price.

The way they handled the Barry situation indicates that they probably will just keep him if they don't get a high enough bid

CrawleyRed
9-7-11, 12:34
Downing has two years left on his contract whereas Young was in the final year. Can't really blame them for not wanting to sell their best player when they don't have to. They could probably sell him next summer and still get a good fee.

We're going to have to pay well over the odds to land him.

Next summer Downing will be 28. They'll be lucky to get £10m for him, and if they do it'll be because he's been their player of the year again. £18m is already well over the odds for a player with at most 3 good years left in him as a winger.

stano123
9-7-11, 12:37
Villa have already lost one of their best players, and we are looking at arguably their best out of the two, he is English and still has a few years on contract, i still believe we will have to play 20 million at least.

Villa will struggle to get players like these 2 again, even with the money recouped, so they just want the highest value so they have a better chance of improving their team, the only thing that could sway the deal, is if Downing gets involved himself and puts the pressure on.

We act like its them being stubborn and petty, but if its on the other foot we would try and do exactly the same.

If KD and DM believe he is worth it, they will pay over the odds just like they did with Carroll IMO.

crobra
9-7-11, 12:37
Why did they give young up so easily? The player wants to join Liverpool, and we have offered a fair price!! Downing needs to do what other players do & put in a transfer request & refuse to train!!

Alon1
9-7-11, 12:45
25 million? is this a joke?
well, it has to be, i suppose he is not the only alternative we have anyway.

Top of the kop
9-7-11, 12:49

:FP: ya apart from the fact matas said hes not leaving and if he is cl clubs are in for him hes are's no problem :FP:

this mata stuff really needs to stop

Mike-91
Downing is a good player, but **** 25mill is just little to much.

Let's move onto the next target. MATA!!!! :scarf

NYscouser
I agree they are entitled to get as much as they can, but they do always seem to make it difficult for us, whereas, man u wander in and get want they want without much fuss and at a reasonable price - although I have just seen roberto's post about young being in his final year - but villa do still despise us!

Maybe if we didnt make insulting opening bids we wouldnt have teams disgusted to make deals with us.

GrantLondon
9-7-11, 12:50
Maybe if we didnt make insulting opening bids we wouldnt have teams disgusted to make deals with us.

In our defence that approach helped us obtain Adam for 6.5 million.

Great negotiation.

Top of the kop
9-7-11, 12:51
Downing is a good player, but **** 25mill is just little to much.

Let's move onto the next target. MATA!!!! :scarf

ya hes said hes not leaving and linked to to top cl clubs no prolem getting him to come to liverpool

Acornhead
9-7-11, 13:04

Woah, biting sarcasm. I don't mind a club wanting more for their players, but this is twice now that we have offered 'disgraceful' bids for their players with them leaking it to the media.

Brain freeze, i of course meant relegated.

jamiechloe
9-7-11, 13:05

To be fair they did the same for Milner with man city and I cant blame them

Flush
9-7-11, 13:08
Downings off the table? Grand, ok.

Next.

HuytonHuyton
9-7-11, 13:17
We will get him dont worry.. Villa wont wanna lose him for half the price next season and more importantly Mcleish will want to bring in his own players on long term contracts to build long term.

But will it be half price?

We thought this with Young and Adam and both went for what was rumoured the season before.

Both had 1 year left.

-SP7-
9-7-11, 13:17
Lets start a petition to sign Mata!

oh

BewilderedLemon
9-7-11, 13:24
Villa should realise that nobody with an ounce of ambition wants to play for their ****** mid table club, their fans are by far the most deluded i've ever witnessed. If a player wants to leave, let him leave.

Spearmint16
9-7-11, 13:26
By Mat Kendrick
Jul 9 2011

Pity we didn't get in before the mancs bought young

Huh? Don't see anything in that article where it says Liverpool: You're wasting your time over Stewart Downing???

Just some quotes from Petrov.

Massive mis-leading headline that.

Mike-91
9-7-11, 13:28
Lets start a petition to sign Mata!

oh

Can't believe Liverpool fans are actually petition for players, then sending it to Henry over twitter. :FP:

welshypool
9-7-11, 13:29
Can't believe Liverpool fans are actually petitions for players, then sending it to Henry over twitter. :FP:

cringe worthy, we really are collecting some incredibly stupid fans, I mean thick as pig ****. Shameful

URS
9-7-11, 13:30
*****. were happy to sell Barry, Miner to City and Young to mu

MFJTS
9-7-11, 13:34
I'm not remotely bothered whether we get Downing or not, but Villa are being both immature and pathetic over this.

They're prepared to keep him against his wishes? For ****'s sake. :FP:

There is very little point in keeping a player that doesn't want to play for you. It's just proving both that you consider them to be bigger than the club, and that you're desperate.

Mascherano and Torres both wanted out of this club. Keeping them against their wishes would have only resulted in bad news for us. Hence Mascha refusing to play against City and us losing 3-0 (okay, can't say that was the reason, but you know), and we all know Torres would have likely sulked his way even more through games had he stayed, and possibly even refused to play. We'll never know. But keeping a player that doesn't want to play for you is both daft and misguided. If he puts in **** performances for them and they end up losing games I'm gonna have no sympathy. This has just highlighted why I think Aston Villa are a bunch of dicks.

Robot_Unicorn
9-7-11, 14:14
Hhhhmmm.

£15m is a very reasonable price for downing. Villa know it too, so now it's a matter of waiting...

Villa sell their best players for the money so this talk about Mcleish wanting to keep him is nonsense. If Martin O'Neill didn't make the decisions then new boy Mcleish won't be either...

The chairman will want the money as he always does. He'll take £15m if we wait long enough because he won't get offered that kind of money for downing again.

The only hope they have of getting him for much more than we've offered so far is if some other club suddenly want him. And who might that be? No foreign club, man u... no, city... no, chelsea... no, arsenal... maybe if nasri goes? spurs.....maybe if bale goes?

So with downing it might be a case of waiting til late july/early august so villa can make sure they won't be getting offered anymore for him (either by us or another club who might suddenly want him due to other transfers...)

We'll probably make another offer at the end of july for about £16m and they'll likely accept assuming we don't get into a bidding war.

shody1976
9-7-11, 14:19
25 million for Downing? :D

Villa can do one. If they want to keep a player who's made it clear he wants to leave, then that's up to them. But today's rumours suggesting that Villa are pursuing a bid for Charles N'Zogbia would suggest that a deal could possibly done sooner rather than later.

Roshi98
9-7-11, 15:10

I thought it was Kev Teezy. :D

postmanedd
9-7-11, 15:12

Villa need to get real, they could get close to 20 now or keep him for another mid table finish of a season at best, and then pretty much have to sell for 10 max next summer.

the-las
9-7-11, 15:18
I was getting excited about the potential siging of Mata, but now ive actually changed my mind.

Having considered a few things:

He may not fit in to the premier league
He is not the biggest physically
its a bit of gamble
babel was a similar situation

Given that Downing has proved the first three. He is less of a gamble and for that reason it would make sense to sign downing.

That said we could blank the pair of them and buy someone else.

RAWRR
9-7-11, 15:25
I was getting excited about the potential siging of Mata, but now ive actually changed my mind.

its a bit of gamble

Given that Downing has proved the first three. He is less of a gamble and for that reason it would make sense to sign downing.

Barne's is that you?

Kloppette
9-7-11, 15:25

its a bit of gamble

I agree with the first 3 but comparing Mata to the Babel situation I Don't
Mata is a clever player that will more than likely find his way into the game whereas Babel often shyed away from the action and struggled to get going in most games.
We need a winger like Downing first and foremost, Mata is more like Suarez in his playing style but more of a creator than goal scorer and Suarez does his best work in the box, Mata does his best work on the edge of the box coming from the flanks.

GeorgeLFC
9-7-11, 15:28

its a bit of gamble

All the things you mentioned about Mata applied to Suarez as well. It depends upon individual players. There is always he chance of players not adapting to the premier league but given the amount of foreign players playing the PL today the risk of them failing has been lower and lower over the years and hence worth the gamble, certainly for the level of quality that is coming in.

MaradonaTheGreatest
9-7-11, 16:18
Just hand in the transfer request then let's see what happens.

NYscouser
9-7-11, 16:19
Just hand in the transfer request then let's see what happens.

Didnt he already do that to withdraw it a few days later?

TwoDogsRichard
9-7-11, 16:33
If this report is indeed true then I guess they are simply trying to show their fans that they are prepared to have a re-run with us of the Gareth Barry saga. The only difference being I can't see anyone offering silly money for Downing next summer in the way that City did for Barry so they'd do better to talk to s now and get a sensible price for a player that no longer wants to be there.

Fowler2276
9-7-11, 16:39

how about

stevie g and nate ngog?

nah not convinced by it!

Istanpooltim
9-7-11, 16:40
I'd rather we offer £15 million for Adam Johnson and Mata before we raise our offer for Downing. Nothing against him as a player, but I'd rather have Johnson for 15 mill, than Downing for 18!

Skip Bayless
9-7-11, 16:42
I'd rather we offer £15 million for Adam Johnson and Mata before we raise our offer for Downing. Nothing against him as a player, but I'd rather have Johnson for 15 mill, than Downing for 18!

You think City will sell us Johnson for 15mil?

fy7reds
9-7-11, 16:42

Are you on xbox?

BoDiddley
9-7-11, 16:43
If this report is indeed true then I guess they are simply trying to show their fans that they are prepared to have a re-run with us of the Gareth Barry saga. The only difference being I can't see anyone offering silly money for Downing next summer in the way that City did for Barry so they'd do better to talk to s now and get a sensible price for a player that no longer wants to be there.

Villa were strong then though, and are a shambles now
I believe there is a Lerner Out facebook campaign even, or was when they appointed the manager that just got their rivals relegated - and that after they were publicly humiliaTED by the Wigan manager FFS
Their best player is just sold, Downing wants out, Bent will be next

MaradonaTheGreatest
9-7-11, 16:44
Didnt he already do that to withdraw it a few days later?

Wasn't aware of the withdrawal but we should still pursue him as he was their best player last season and can offer our team a lot - a proven Premiership player.

GeorgeLFC
9-7-11, 16:46
Well I think the real choice would be between £20mil for Downing or £25-30mil for Adam Johnson?

'Stim
9-7-11, 16:50
Aston Villa can say whatever they want to, we all know we're not wasting our time,because Downing is a quality player and would improve our squad,if they keep on like this, all Stewart Downing has to do is hand in a transfer request,if they want to leave,it leaves little option,it behoves the club that they do something or just watch an asset lose stock value as the contract runs out. It's not L.F.C. that are wasting time,it's Villa trying to buy some time to replace him. I still think we'll get him. I hope so,anyway and for £18M or less. :scarf

BoDiddley
9-7-11, 16:54
Aston Villa can say whatever they want to, we all know we're not wasting our time,because Downing is a quality player and would improve our squad,if they keep on like this, all Stewart Downing has to do is hand in a transfer request,if they want to leave,it leaves little option,it behooves the club that they do something or just watch an asset lose stock value as the contract runs out. It's not L.F.C. that are wasting time,it's Villa trying to buy some time to replace him. I still think we'll get him. I hope so,anyway and for £18M or less. :scarf

You are to my knowledge the only poster on here to use the word 'behooves'

Robot_Unicorn
9-7-11, 16:56
it behooves all forum posters to use it more often

-CADS-
9-7-11, 17:03
Are you on xbox?

How much do you think Johnson would cost?

fy7reds
9-7-11, 17:05

It would be into the 20's

TwoDogsRichard
9-7-11, 17:06
Are you on xbox?

Something more hallucinogenic I'd say!

Robot_Unicorn
9-7-11, 17:08

city dont sell their players. they just store their surplus' in a cupboard somewhere.

-CADS-
9-7-11, 17:09
It would be into the 20's

Yeah probably about £22m but it's a moot point anyway because I doubt City would sell him to their rivals despite him criminally hardly getting a game there.

Skip Bayless
Aston Villa can say whatever they want to, we all know we're not wasting our time,because Downing is a quality player and would improve our squad,if they keep on like this, all Stewart Downing has to do is hand in a transfer request,if they want to leave,it leaves little option,it behooves the club that they do something or just watch an asset lose stock value as the contract runs out. It's not L.F.C. that are wasting time,it's Villa trying to buy some time to replace him. I still think we'll get him. I hope so,anyway and for £18M or less. :scarf

A transfer request doesn't mean they have to sell him.

britishblackman
Can we please move on from Stewart Downing now?

There must be a left footed/sided midfielder in this world who is defensively minded, but can get forward and cross a mean ball, is mid-20s or younger, and available for less than £18m?

'Stim
9-7-11, 17:10

TwoDogsRichard
9-7-11, 17:12

When in fact he actually meant 'behoves'

'Stim
9-7-11, 17:13
A transfer request doesn't mean they have to sell him.

No that's right, it doesn't,but it does hand more advantage to the player and the club he wants to move to,it makes things much more difficult for Villa. If it was Man. City,I'd say it was game over, because they can replace any player at will almost and keep/bench a wantaway player. But Villa aren't City,their circumstances are different.

'Stim
9-7-11, 17:16

I can't type today or spell :o,I'm hungover & bashed about! My apologies. :o

vonStauffenberg
9-7-11, 17:18
Can we please move on from Stewart Downing now?

There must be a left footed/sided midfielder in this world who is defensively minded, but can get forward and cross a mean ball, is mid-20s or younger, and available for less than £18m?

I've got one in the back of my garage. I'll have a rummage and see if I can find him.

TwoDogsRichard
I can't type today or spell :o,I'm hungover & bashed about! My apologies. :o

Bashed about figuratively speaking, I hope :)

Styletik
Good. Finally we can get past this Downing nonsense and focus on players with actual quality

TwoDogsRichard
9-7-11, 17:20
Good. Finally we can get past this Downing nonsense and focus on players with actual quality

:FP: Let's have your suggestions then!

MaradonaTheGreatest
9-7-11, 17:27

Downing IS quality with proven premiership success and Kenny will sign him because of that.

'Stim
9-7-11, 17:29
Bashed about figuratively speaking, I hope :)

Sonisphere Concert and ensuing copious drinking afterwards. Good God,I'm feeling so old!!! :D

Robot_Unicorn
9-7-11, 17:34
Sonisphere Concert and ensuing copious drinking afterwards. Good God,I'm feeling so old!!! :D

you're a metalhead who uses the word behooves?:confused:

'Stim
9-7-11, 17:49
you're a metalhead who uses the word behooves?:confused:

:D And i spell it wrongly too.

OTC-PriME
9-7-11, 17:50

Regulators mount up!!!

my fave bit!

Just like I thought they were in the same spot in need of some desperate help
the Nate Dogg and the G-child were in need of something else
one of them dames was sexy as hell I said "ooo I like your size."
she said "my car's broke down and you seem real nice, would ya let me ride?"
I got a car full of girls and it's going real swell the next stop is the Eastside Motel

loved that tune back in the day lol:D

TAFFYFROG
9-7-11, 17:52
Downing's stats last season are much better than Johnson's. Typical of some fans to be unhappy with whoever we try and sign

Luckily the club management have more idea of how to negotiate than some of the fans. If we went straight back in with a bid of £18m Villa would hold out for more. Our club know how much he is worth now, and have no doubt calculated his value next season as well and will ensure Villa understand it as well. The reality is that Villa have proved over the last 3 years that they are a sellling club Barry, Milner & Young all prove that. Let them stew for a week or so. They still need a new goalie, new RB, new CB to replace Dunne, an improved midfield and a striker to partner Bent.

So far they have the Young fee to put towards what needs to be a major rebuilding

'Stim
9-7-11, 18:00
Downing's stats last season are much better than Johnson's. Typical of some fans to be unhappy with whoever we try and sign

Luckily the club management have more idea of how to negotiate than some of the fans. If we went straight back in with a bid of £18m Villa would hold out for more. Our club know how much he is worth now, and have no doubt calculated his value next season as well and will ensure Villa understand it as well. The reality is that Villa have proved over the last 3 years that they are a sellling club Barry, Milner & Young all prove that. Let them stew for a week or so. They still need a new goalie, new RB, new CB to replace Dunne, an improved midfield and a striker to partner Bent.

So far they have the Young fee to put towards what needs to be a major rebuilding

:D Ha ha,now that would be chaotic,Fans doing player recruitement....administration would loom large!!! Some excellent points in there,Taffy :)

-SilkySkills-
9-7-11, 18:02
to be fair i think 18-20 mil is a fair price

brummiered01
9-7-11, 18:30
Regulators mount up!!!

my fave bit!

I got a car full of girls and it's going real swell the next stop is the Eastside Motel

Quality! :D

-Chris-
9-7-11, 18:33
We will get him.

Alpha Papa
9-7-11, 18:36

Tenuous.

Eggz
9-7-11, 18:41
Regulators mount up!!!

my fave bit!

Things will never be the same again

NYscouser
9-7-11, 18:43
What is it about LFC that premiership clubs hate selling to us?

But the second United come knocking they just hand em over without even putting up a fight, its pathetic.

Dioltas
9-7-11, 18:45
What is it about LFC that premiership clubs hate selling to us?

But the second United come knocking they just hand em over without even putting up a fight, its pathetic.

Fergie gives bungs? A few under the nose financial incentives perhaps... :fishing

BoDiddley
9-7-11, 18:53

that's what I thought, so I googled it and found behooved is a fine and proper word

This is what the Urban Dictionary has to say :

1. behooves

v. To be necessary, appropriate, or proper. This, by the way is NOT SLANG but I at least congratulate you on making a post where you don't mention your favorite foods or should've-been-aborted daughter.

BTW, "behooves me to want to" is a grammatical attrocity.
Andy's numerous nonsensical posts behoove me to vomit.

So there you have it

JungleJuice
9-7-11, 19:07

Quite funny have a rep :D

MaradonaTheGreatest
9-7-11, 19:34
Pay the 19m as he's worth it, and let's get him in our preseason preparation. It is important to have our new recruits to get a full preseason with Kenny and the coaching staff. It will give us a much better chance of getting out of the blocks, so to speak, from the 1st game of the new season.

FistofRage
9-7-11, 20:43
How long does the tour last?
...8 days apparently

As well as a gruelling 14,000-mile round trip, Liverpool will have to contend with searing heat.

It will be around 34 degrees in Guangzhou where humidity is around 80% and with the monsoon season in full flow torrential downpours are expected.

Malaysia also promises to be sticky work with temperatures of around 30 degrees and 70% humidity.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/07/09/exclusive-liverpool-fc-boss-kenny-dalglish-on-reds-pre-season-tour-100252-29020863/2/#ixzz1RbexAZlM

My heart bleeds for the poor little footballers.:D

TwoDogsRichard
9-7-11, 20:53
to be fair i think 18-20 mil is a fair price

Having paid £16m potentially rising to £20m for Henderson I can see why Villa are expecting more for Downing but then, if Kenny wants him, we will get him

Paulite
9-7-11, 20:55
Having paid £16m potentially rising to £20m for Henderson I can see why Villa are expecting more for Downing but then, if Kenny wants him, we will get him

With Henderson we're paying a transfer fee out we won't have to for the next 10+ years. With Downing we're paying a transfer fee out for 4 years at most. There's a difference in terms of value there.

TwoDogsRichard
9-7-11, 20:57
With Henderson we're paying a transfer fee out we won't have to for the next 10+ years. With Downing we're paying a transfer fee out for 4 years at most. There's a difference in terms of value there.

Try telling Villa that! Not saying I disagree with you but that will be their argument.

Paulite
9-7-11, 21:05
Try telling Villa that! Not saying I disagree with you but that will be their argument.

Yes, but I know a couple Villa fans who think he's world class. Delusions of the highest order.

bonou2
9-7-11, 23:07
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2013030/Stewart-Downing-hijack-Arsenal-set-beat-Liverpool-Aston-Villa-stars-signature.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

AResnal making a move for downing.

And DC is going to China tomorrow :FP:

Seanosdelgardo
9-7-11, 23:15
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2013030/Stewart-Downing-hijack-Arsenal-set-beat-Liverpool-Aston-Villa-stars-signature.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

If Arsenal beat us to Downing, I'll be ********** off.

bigpepespunch
9-7-11, 23:20
If Arsenal beat us to Downing, I'll be ********** off.

cant see it mate, do arsenal ever play with genuine wide men?

JohnBarnesJnr
9-7-11, 23:22
cant see it mate, do arsenal ever play with genuine wide men?

Or crossers!? Downing doesn't suit their pass it into the net philosophy.

Snippes
9-7-11, 23:24
Fingers crossed that Villa mean what they say and keep him just as they did when we wanted Gareth Barry. Which turned out to be them doing us a massive favor and saving us from ourselves

Graggster
9-7-11, 23:29
Fingers crossed that Villa mean what they say and keep him just as they did when we wanted Gareth Barry. Which turned out to be them doing us a massive favor and saving us from ourselves

you must be gutted we have signed henderson and adam as you didnt want either..

what will you do if we sign downing?

bigpepespunch
9-7-11, 23:35
Or crossers!? Downing doesn't suit their pass it into the net philosophy.

Lazy Journalism really.

Navredman
10-7-11, 00:13

So why didn't they look for 20 million for young :rolleyes:

TrebleChaser
10-7-11, 00:13
Just read the OP. If Villa want to play hard ball then I doubt very much we will be phased by it. Though if the result is we go and get Juan Mata I, like many others would be happy. I have little sympathy for Villa. Downing wants out and that is clear, and he wants Anfield. They should do the decent thing and let him go. I've also no porblem with them sorting as best a replacement as they can muster before he goes. We did that with the Torres / Carroll equation. If they try to force it though, then I hope he does hand in a transfer request and they know what they are gambling with. Its not that I would want him to be a sulky. miserable, at time cannot be bothered player [- becuse thats not the attitude of a Liverpool player - although we have been inb the end of that sort of player attitude too much in recent times.

MarkoRamius
10-7-11, 00:30

Honestly, do you think that would've mattered? I don't...seemed pretty apparent to me where Young wanted to go...and it wasn't us.

Themessangernr1
10-7-11, 00:35
why are we wasting our time with downing? we should be going for for the likes of Cazorla and Capel instead. Mata may be difficult tough

Luises-Finger
10-7-11, 00:45

May be it means we don't want him at the price they're asking.

From a negotiation point of view it's a smart move. If they're interested let them and Downing stew on it. If they're not - why waste time chasing a ghost.

67MVP
10-7-11, 04:22

rut roh

67MVP
10-7-11, 04:24
May be it means we don't want him at the price they're asking.

From a negotiation point of view it's a smart move. If they're interested let them and Downing stew on it. If they're not - why waste time chasing a ghost.

True, some of the best deals are the ones you don't make. I will go with that.

slimman
10-7-11, 04:24
If Kenny desperately wants him, surely we have to pay the 19 or 20 million they want and move on.

The manager can't lose a player he feels will give us something different for 2 to 3 million depending on who you believe.

Pedagogue
10-7-11, 07:01
The 'something different', is the key to unpick the lock, the run that a stretches and bisects an obdurately and miltaristically square defensive line.

The Modrics, Xavis, Iniestas and Fabregas's of the world, perhaps a Charlie Adam, and a Joe Cole long gone.....this is what clubs speculatively pay and pray for.

Downing gives us possibilities wide, especailly on the left; I can't remember when we last had a player who could stretch play and widen the angle of attack by getting round the back, or delivering diagonal passes and crosses.

It's all a matter of political price and public face:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

Megali-Idea
10-7-11, 07:45
Fingers crossed that Villa mean what they say and keep him just as they did when we wanted Gareth Barry.

:fc:

brummiered01
10-7-11, 08:52

1 year left on contract.

If he had 2 years left they'd have got between £20 and £25 million for Young

TwoDogsRichard
10-7-11, 09:09

Because he had a year left on his contract so they were in a weaker position than they are with Downing.

Ayub
10-7-11, 09:34
Downing is not worht 7 million let alone the original 12 million bid

I cant see what the fuss is all about Downing - I dont think he is a consistant performer. Like many average English players he is being hyped up by the media and some fooballing pundits - sometimes I think the national team suffers because far too may players come in to the team on the basis of having one good season and in some cases 10 - 20 games

brummiered01
10-7-11, 09:40
Downing is not worht 7 million let alone the original 12 million bid

I cant see what the fuss is all about Downing - I dont think he is a consistant performer. Like many average English players he is being hyped up by the media and some fooballing pundits - sometimes I think the national team suffers because far too may players come in to the team on the basis of having one good season and in some cases 10 - 20 games

You couldn't be further from the truth with that comment

WindyShepherdHenderson
14-5-12, 13:05
Thread title shows stunning foresight.

Daftvader
14-5-12, 13:23
Cher comes to mind: if I could turn back time.......

One year on and that £20 mil wasted on him almost seems like a sack able offence.

No goals or assists... Not even the biggest pessimist could of envisioned such a terrible return for money.

He's our shevchenko.

SomeKloppo
14-5-12, 13:27
you must be gutted we have signed henderson and adam as you didnt want either..

what will you do if we sign downing?

Graggster - We will win the league; we signed Downing.

It must hurt.

TheArtfulRodger
14-5-12, 14:04
If all those shots that he hit the post with had gone it we may well have been talking about him in a different light.