PDA

View Full Version : Jan Vertonghen

khaja
10-7-11, 17:45
Does anyone watch this guy regularly? I have heard that his style of play is similar to Agger (in other words a ball playing CB) and he is highly rated. I don't really watch the Dutch league, but is there anybody who can tell me how good he is? And are we linked with him? Cheers.

L1verFC
10-7-11, 17:48
I have seen him in the champions league and playing for Belgium , I like the look of him and yes he is a defender who is good on the ball and can bring it out of defence.

ToTaLxTc
10-7-11, 17:52
I think he'd be an awesome signing, and definitely a candidate, but he's not proven in the Premiership.

-SP7-
10-7-11, 17:54
I think he'd be an awesome signing, and definitely a candidate, but he's not proven in the Premiership.

Most players in the world aren't. I hate that way of judging players. Was Hyypia proven in the premiership? Torres? Suarez? Etc.

Navredman
10-7-11, 18:10
Most players in the world aren't. I hate that way of judging players. Was Hyypia proven in the premiership? Torres? Suarez? Etc.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^ ;)

ToTaLxTc
10-7-11, 18:12

:FP:

Is your sarcasm detector broken today?

-SP7-
10-7-11, 18:29

Clearly.

Thanks for the neg bro!

ToTaLxTc
10-7-11, 18:30
Clearly.

Thanks for the neg bro!

I didn't neg you

I'll give you some +rep though since you asked so nicely :)

AayoTheRed
10-7-11, 18:35

Yeah because everyone is great at spotting sarcasm on the internet (in text form, i might add)...

And because we all know your sense of humour so well that we can tell when you're being sarcastic...

(^__ sarcasm btw)

ToTaLxTc
10-7-11, 18:38
Yeah because everyone is great at spotting sarcasm on the internet (in text form, i might add)...

And because we all know your sense of humour so well that we can tell when you're being sarcastic...

(^__ sarcasm btw)

I'll put a ;) or a :p after it next time. Failing that, people can not choose to cry over stuff :D

kop96lfc
10-7-11, 18:47
Picked up a groin injury yesterday although it may only be a few weeks out. He is petty relaxed about where he is, not knocking the chairmans door down demanding a move. Aresnal and City were heavily linked with him ,he is best friends with that other Belgian cb gooners bought. Asked most recently about a move from Ajax he said there only are 5 or 6 clubs i would leave Ajax for.

TAFFYFROG
10-7-11, 20:29
If you search for him on You Tube you will see him score loads from corners and free kicks taken by Luis Saurez

InsomniacOlympics
8-5-12, 13:32
Apparently Spurs and Arsenal are in for him at 7m. Sounds like a bargain, why aren't we.

Andyfagan
8-5-12, 13:56
Apparently Spurs and Arsenal are in for him at 7m. Sounds like a bargain, why aren't we.

If we only have 40m net to spend on players, I can see why.

Realistically we need a CM, CF and Winger, which will all probably cost about 20m each though the CM may be cheaper. Regardless, that's 50-60m spent already.

Whilst I agree that Vertonghen is a great player and especially at 7m, I can see why we'd be missing out if we're chanelling all of our cash in to our very weakest areas.

Super-Mac-and-Fries
8-5-12, 14:10
If we only have 40m net to spend on players, I can see why.

Realistically we need a CM, CF and Winger, which will all probably cost about 20m each though the CM may be cheaper. Regardless, that's 50-60m spent already.

Whilst I agree that Vertonghen is a great player and especially at 7m, I can see why we'd be missing out if we're chanelling all of our cash in to our very weakest areas.

This. If we want a marked improvement for next season we've got to spend the vast majority of it in midfield, in my opinion. We're desperate for pace, creativity and good decision making. To be honest I'm getting a bit tired of having some positions more than covered while we don't even have a recongised player for another.

RiiseAgainst
8-5-12, 14:23
Always good to see people whinge about negs. :D

Fowi
8-5-12, 14:24
7mil????

Raphaelthe2nd
8-5-12, 14:26
I don't care where he goes, we need a played who can play LB and LCB, a quality player, who can provide genuine competition for places for both Enrique and Agger, Sakho's my man, but the short term option like we took with getting Bellers on a free, Distain from the bitter would do the trick

Em-inLeam
8-5-12, 14:28
7mil????

I wish we could sign Vertonghen and M'Vila.

Is Kwado Asamoah any good?

Andyfagan
8-5-12, 14:30
I don't care where he goes, we need a played who can play LB and LCB, a quality player, who can provide genuine competition for places for both Enrique and Agger, Sakho's my man, but the short term option like we took with getting Bellers on a free, Distain from the bitter would do the trick

Doubt Distin would come here.

And tbh I'd rather have Vertonghen than Sakho.

BobbyGough
8-5-12, 14:30
I think his ball skills are better than Agger's and he is fun to watch when he starts upfield. That said, I dont think he's as tough as Daniel in defense, but a good defender nonetheless... He also can play as a DM, so that kind of versatility is priceless... Would love to see him in red!

Yehez
8-5-12, 14:32

Vertonghen can play LB. As well as DM, AM, RB. I have seen him in 7 different positions. for the last 3/4 years.

Em-inLeam
8-5-12, 14:33
Vertonghen can play LB. As well as DM, AM, RB. I have seen him in 7 different positions. for the last 3/4 years.

He's like Gerrard; a proper footballer that can play anywhere.

Andyfagan
8-5-12, 14:34
Tbh as a Lucas "backup" he'd be top quality.

I wonder if he'd be good/suited enough to start alongside Lucas regularly though.

Em-inLeam
8-5-12, 14:35
Tbh as a Lucas "backup" he'd be top quality.

I wonder if he'd be good/suited enough to start alongside Lucas regularly though.

Kwado Asamoah would be a better option; he's very similar to Essien in that he can hold a midfield, but can also create too. He's a complete midfielder - So he'd be able to play with and without Lucas.

Raphaelthe2nd
8-5-12, 14:36

That is what we need, we need a player who can play LB LCB so one signings is the competition for Enrique and Agger

So who else is there, which other players have you all got your eyes on who can play both positions and give us that quality strength in depth we need in our defence moving forward?

Fowi
Vertonghen is a centre back of top quality. In any other position he's mediocre at best. Lets not go down the "play players out of position just for laughs" route again.

Andyfagan
Kwado Asamoah would be a better option; he's very similar to Essien in that he can hold a midfield, but can also create too. He's a complete midfielder. So he'd be able to play with and without Lucas.

Asamoah's hardly going to leave Udinese for us though, is he?

Andyfagan
8-5-12, 14:38
Vertonghen is a centre back of top quality. In any other position he's mediocre at best. Lets not go down the "play players out of position just for laughs" route again.

Yeah this is what I was getting at.

I'm not sure he's good enough to start regularly for us in CM.

It's such a shame, because if we'd have been better with our signings last year (i.e. if the CM and winger we bought were actually any good), we'd be in a position to take Vertonghen, and probably also attract him too considering that we'd probably be in the top 4 if the aforementioned happened.

Fowi
8-5-12, 14:40
Yeah this is what I was getting at.

I'm not sure he's good enough to start regularly for us in CM.

It's such a shame, because if we'd have been better with our signings last year (i.e. if the CM and winger we bought were actually any good), we'd be in a position to take Vertonghen, and probably also attract him too considering that we'd probably be in the top 4 if the aforementioned happened.

He isn't. He's less of a midfielder than Agger.

Yehez
8-5-12, 14:40

I know I know. Anyway, I don't think we need him exactly, but with Agger's injury problems, can't say I'm not tempted, especially for 7 ******* million

Andyfagan
8-5-12, 14:41
He isn't. He's less of a midfielder than Agger.

I'm sure I've seen him play DM for Holland?

Still, the point stands. It'd be like signing Jones (who is a good player) as a CM.

Fowi
8-5-12, 14:45
I'm sure I've seen him play DM for Holland?

Still, the point stands. It'd be like signing Jones (who is a good player) as a CM.

Belgium, but I get your point.

He can't get in the centre of defence for Belgium because of Kompany and Vermaelen so he plays either at left back or in the middle.

BostonFans
8-5-12, 14:46

He can't get in the centre of defence for Belgium because of Kompany and Vermaelen so he plays either at left back or in the middle.

The poor Belgians.

Andyfagan
8-5-12, 14:47

No idea why I said Holland...

But yeah. That situation would be the same at Liverpool - I doubt he'd displace Skrtel or Agger (well, at least until Agger got injured) that quickly and could see him doing the same...

Fowi
8-5-12, 14:49
No idea why I said Holland...

But yeah. That situation would be the same at Liverpool - I doubt he'd displace Skrtel or Agger (well, at least until Agger got injured) that quickly and could see him doing the same...

For 7mil I'd sign him and keep him in a box if we have to. Agger will get injuries again. Of that there is no doubt. And even if not Vertonghen can compete with any of our centrebacks.

Andyfagan
8-5-12, 14:50
For 7mil I'd sign him and keep him in a box if we have to. Agger will get injuries again. Of that there is no doubt. And even if not Vertonghen can compete with any of our centrebacks.

There's no doubt he'd be an excellent signing.

The question is whether we can afford to sign him as well as a CM/Winger/Striker for the first team, because we're in desperate need of those three players.

RogerHuntelaar
8-5-12, 14:51
We would be stupid if we'd not join the list of interested clubs.

Yehez
8-5-12, 14:55
There's no doubt he'd be an excellent signing.

The question is whether we can afford to sign him as well as a CM/Winger/Striker for the first team, because we're in desperate need of those three players.

I'd go with this opinion. If we do have a place for him and money then go for it. I'd happily sell Wilson and even Agger for him. If Carra retires as well.

A player of his calibre for that price just got to be considered.

Em-inLeam
8-5-12, 14:55
Asamoah's hardly going to leave Udinese for us though, is he?

Why not?

Four2Three1
8-5-12, 15:07
Cant quote but well said Roger

Raphaelthe2nd
8-5-12, 15:12
Here's one for you then, why do we move Skrtel from his favoured position when Coates plays? Coates best performances for us this season have come at LCB, if you look at the Copa America footage, guess where he played? LCB

Andyfagan
8-5-12, 15:13
Why not?

Because Udinese are better than us.

Em-inLeam
Because Udinese are better than us.

Bu we can be better than them if we sign players like Asamoah.

Andyfagan
Here's one for you then, why do we move Skrtel from his favoured position when Coates plays? Coates best performances for us this season have come at LCB, if you look at the Copa America footage, guess where he played? LCB

This has baffled me too.

Skrtel is a top quality RCB and yet he's probably played 20% of his entire Liverpool career there.

Andyfagan
8-5-12, 15:15
Bu we can be better than them if we sign players like Asamoah.

And Udinese can be better than us if they sign players like Suarez.

Good players rarely step downwards, and especially not away from teams in the CL who they play regularly for.

If we're going to buy CL-quality players, they need to be from teams in much weaker leagues than ours - e.g. the Dutch league.

InsomniacOlympics
8-5-12, 15:16
Apparently United have entered the race now for him now.

Where are we ?

Andyfagan
8-5-12, 15:18
Apparently United have entered the race now for him now.

Where are we ?

To be fair, if United and Arsenal are in for him then we have no chance.

InsomniacOlympics
8-5-12, 15:22
To be fair, if United and Arsenal are in for him then we have no chance.

Right now the way it's been going, Spuds are the favorites to land him. According to the media. So if thats true, we have a chance.

InsomniacOlympics
8-5-12, 15:24
Sky Sports article (http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11906/7739167/Vertonghen-reveals-Spurs-talks) posted today on Jan saying Spurs are in for him and he's already had talks with the club. Making them favorites, seriously where are we ?

Liverpool Scouts hard at work in Europe, Video Evidence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8nzXl6tFec).

Ad_Rock
8-5-12, 16:57
No idea why I said Holland..

Because Belgium is rubbish Holland.

Em-inLeam
8-5-12, 17:39
And Udinese can be better than us if they sign players like Suarez.

Good players rarely step downwards, and especially not away from teams in the CL who they play regularly for.

If we're going to buy CL-quality players, they need to be from teams in much weaker leagues than ours - e.g. the Dutch league.

English league is regarded higher than the Italian league.

RogerHuntelaar
8-5-12, 18:18
Vertonghen is good enough to demand CL football. Good teams play from the back and this guy is one of the best in that department.

brummiered01
8-5-12, 18:18
Right now the way it's been going, Spuds are the favorites to land him. According to the media. So if thats true, we have a chance.

Probably not if they get a CL place.