PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts ahead of the new season.

LivingProof
19-7-11, 16:04
Well it's been a journey hasn't it? Looking back, this time last year going into the start of the season I had a real sense of uncertainty.

I didn't 100% believe in Roy Hodgeson, and I don't think the majority of Liverpool fans did. This is not a personal attack on Roy, as he did a fantastic job at Fulham the previous season it just didn't seem right. The vibe wasn't right.

That real positive vibe, that typical Liverpool passion just wasn't at the forefront going into the season. Significantly there was still that a black cloud hovering over the club which of course was the American owners.

Not only that but the team was riddled with uncertainties and it felt like it could just full apart, certainly didn't seem united. Alonso had left and we had failed to replace him properly, Mascharano was at the club but I for one was resigned to the fact that we would lose him which proved to be the case. Torres, now he was out of form, simple as that. The previous season injuries had riddled him, he had a poor European Championships for Spain and there was worries over his fitness.

With this black cloud hovering over the club and various uncertainties, it's no surprise that the first half of the season proved to be an absolute nightmare. It was certainly a dark place the club dragged itself into, now I don't want to dwell on it because we suffered enough last season.

A new dawn, a new beginning was marked when King Kenny took the position as manager, under new owners. Owners who the majority sensed had the club's best interests at heart and were going to back Kenny's plans and ideas 100%. I for one was very excited, but still a tad doubtful that Kenny could turn around the teams fortunes and produce results on the pitch. He stunningly put that myth to bed. Losing Torres, and the manner in which he left obviously felt like a bitter blow, but looking back we just had to let go. Let go of a player who was out of form and a player we had been over reliant on for the past few seasons. It was in a sense a major relieve to let go and cash in on him. 50 million we can't complain can we?

Suarez coming in was like a breath of fresh air, and the signing of Carroll firmly marked the clubs intent to get back to it's norm of challenging at the top. Dominating Man Utd at Anfield and performances at Stamford Bridge strongly suggested we were climbing out of this abyss. Kenny was bringing back the Liverpool way, and for me the key difference I saw was that the players believed in Kenny and in turn started to believe in themselves and this shown through on the pitch!

So onto the new season. We really are in a fantastic place compared to this time last year. The squad really is coming together. Jordan Henderson, is an exciting player. One for the future IMO, and could long term be the replacement for Steven Gerrard. He will get games this season though, and I think he will thrive under Kenny. I was a massive fan of Charlie Adam last season and it's great to have another Scottish player at Liverpool but this time one which will surly be a more provident figure in the team. He Gerrard esque carried Blackpool last season. A natural leader and nearly led them to escape relegation which seemed an impossible task before the season started. He has a sublime range of passing, which will turn defence into attacks in an instant. Bringing in Downing was huge, a natural wide player, but a quality one at that who has shown his worth in the Premier League for years now. Big signing. Now Andy Carroll, he certainly has all the skills to be a fantastic player in this league and at a big club. I must admit I am still doubtful about his personality, if he has the strength to put all his efforts in, into getting the best out of his performances on the pitch. Time will tell, and with Kenny he has a superb mentor, second to none. Carroll could be massive next season. If we can finalise the Enrique signing then we well in truly will be in a position to ruffle some feathers next season.

So in conclusion I am buzzing going into the new season. It really is hard not to get excited about what Kenny is building here. In my opinion next season we can definitely challenge for a top 4 place and will achieve this.

First thread here, hope you got something out of it.

YNWA :scarf:scarf

ashlazy1991
19-7-11, 16:07
Fantastic post dude, Repped.

JoeRedLabo
19-7-11, 16:13
well said mate that is why i have not an will not moan about anything we have done this summer, or say we overpayed for a player because this time last year we had unsettled players, we were loaning out players we should not of been while replacing them with poor players.

An the main problem was we were bein crippled with debt an the biggest fees goin out the club were to banks for interest payments.

grenny158
19-7-11, 16:30
Nice, positive first thread, LivingProof, thanks.

There is no doubt that the feelgood factor has returned to the club after 4 years of abject misery under the previous owners. In contrast to last season, if we can get off to a good, winning start in our first few games, who knows what we will end up achieving.

Like you, I would like to see us bring in a quality LB .. in addition, I really believe we need additional cover at CB, and, if I am REALLY being greedy, an additional striker / right sided attacking wideman.

Lots to look forward to. At last!!

:scarf

LivingProof
19-7-11, 16:46
Thanks for the reply guys. @Grenny agreed mate, new LB is important. With regard to another centre back I am actually looking at Wisdom to perhaps step up to the mark if injuries make gaps in that position. I see a lot of potential in the lad. I believe he has the assets to succeed in this league.

Ferreroid
19-7-11, 16:46
nice...

grenny158
19-7-11, 18:19
Thanks for the reply guys. @Grenny agreed mate, new LB is important. With regard to another centre back I am actually looking at Wisdom to perhaps step up to the mark if injuries make gaps in that position. I see a lot of potential in the lad. I believe he has the assets to succeed in this league.

Wisdom has looked good in the reserves, but I'm not sure he is ready to make the step up .. Maybe Kelly? Having said that, CB is one of those positions that requires a fair degree of experience at the highest level, so I would prefer to sign a quality player and slowly bed the Kelly's / Wisdoms in over the next few seasons.

LivingProof
19-7-11, 21:18
Wisdom has looked good in the reserves, but I'm not sure he is ready to make the step up .. Maybe Kelly? Having said that, CB is one of those positions that requires a fair degree of experience at the highest level, so I would prefer to sign a quality player and slowly bed the Kelly's / Wisdoms in over the next few seasons.

Fair point mate although personally I think Kelly is much more suited to right back. Of course though we have a quality right back in Glen and that position is his, but is satisfying to know we have such a talented youngster in Kelly in our ranks who already has proved that he is capable of playing in this league at a top team.

dreams-come-true
19-7-11, 21:23
Liked your post!

LivingProof
19-7-11, 21:42
Liked your post!

Thanks mate.

LivingProof
20-7-11, 14:47
Anyone else like to post their thoughts ahead of the new season? Confident? :scarf

kemlyngremlin80
20-7-11, 14:58
I am so confident I am scaring myself!! Our transfer activity has been conducted early, allowing players to settle, and I really think we will hit the ground running.

If we start well, then the sky is the limit. I think Suarez and Carroll are going to cause managers and defenders to have nightmares!!

LivingProof
20-7-11, 15:14
I am so confident I am scaring myself!! Our transfer activity has been conducted early, allowing players to settle, and I really think we will hit the ground running.

If we start well, then the sky is the limit. I think Suarez and Carroll are going to cause managers and defenders to have nightmares!!

Like the positivity mate! :scarf

GBRed31
20-7-11, 15:18
quality positive post mate, couldn't agree more with what you were saying about the players attitude and workrate on the pitch really changing when kenny came in, especially at stamford bridge and the emirates, they were really playing for the shirt and it was just so refreshing to see. Also completely agree about the transfer business, for years we've dithered over deals only to miss out, so encouraged we're doing business early and quickly now, even if we're paying a premium of a couple million too many, it's more than worth it, repped.
YNWA.

LivingProof
28-7-11, 09:42
Morning fellow reds, today is my 21st birthday and I am a proud red and would just like to go back to this post and reiterate my optimism ahead of the new season. :scarf

JMHK
28-7-11, 10:23
Morning fellow reds, today is my 21st birthday and I am a proud red and would just like to go back to this post and reiterate my optimism ahead of the new season. :scarf

Good post. Agree. Can't wait.

Happy 21st. Hmmmmm, 1990......last time we won the League. Dad/&Mum a LFC supporter by any chance? :IN:

grenny158
28-7-11, 11:14

Happy 21st. Hmmmmm, 1990......last time we won the League. Dad/&Mum a LFC supporter by any chance? :IN:

If we take this train of thought into greater detail, LivingProof would have been conceived in September 1989. On the 12th of September, 1989, we thrashed Crystal Palace 9-0 at Anfield, which was, and still is, a record for LFC in the top division.

LivingProof, please ask your parents what they did to celebrate such a momentous occasion. ;)

P.S. Happy 21st, mate .. hope you have a great year!

LivingProof
28-7-11, 12:03

Cheers mate :scarf

If we take this train of thought into greater detail, LivingProof would have been conceived in September 1989. On the 12th of September, 1989, we thrashed Crystal Palace 9-0 at Anfield, which was, and still is, a record for LFC in the top division.

LivingProof, please ask your parents what they did to celebrate such a momentous occasion. ;)

P.S. Happy 21st, mate .. hope you have a great year!

Haha love it mate and thank you very much! :scarf

AlessoAfrojackAvicii
28-7-11, 12:06
I think we will finish 2nd
I think we will be the 1st team to reach 20 goals
I think Dirk Kuyt will score our 1st goal
I think Steven Gerrard will score our last goal
I think Charlie Adam's 1st goal will be a free kick
I think Stewart Downings 1st goal will be a strike from range
I think Jamie Carragher will play every game
I think we will get to the FA Cup final

AussieKop22
28-7-11, 12:16
Have some green.

I am feeling quitely confident of us going well this coming season, we have improved the squad, some key players have had rest, Kenny and his team will have had a full pre season with the majority of the squad to work through most of the issues and build up confidence and fitness.

I believe we have one very special player in Suarez, he will have big season, Stevie will be back to his best, and I have a feeling if Aqua and Joe Cole are kept they may be of some use (strange I know but have faith).

I hope we see a new LB & CB in before the season kicks of as the only negative I see is our back 4.

Eddes
28-7-11, 12:24
My confidence is in the fact that we are difficult to beat once again. We aren't good enough to win the league (IMO) but that will come in time.

The last 6 months followed by the squad strengthening (which i believe will continue through August both in and out) tells me that Kenny has the respect Hodgson and Rafa in his last 6 months didnt have, the players are well up for it and us fans have faith again.

We can beat anybody home or away on our day, we just need to add consistency and a little extra spark going forward but most important i beg you all not to get carried away and start whinging when we are not top of the league by 15 points at Christmas...

Top 4 and a good run in both cup competitions will do me just fine this year,
strengthen again in January and then next summer really push on for a proper challenge.

smokintony
28-7-11, 12:28
I keep hearing many people saying "this time last season I wasn't sure" or words to that effect and yet as I recall anyone saying then that we would be lucky to get back into top 4 got ripped to shreds by people believing we would win the league.

Not knocking your thread by the way, nothing wrong with optimism and Its true that with Kenny here and H&G ousted the clouds that were above us for much of last season have gone

LivingProof
5-8-11, 18:26
Confident guys? :scarf

herbeer
6-8-11, 03:22
I keep hearing many people saying "this time last season I wasn't sure" or words to that effect and yet as I recall anyone saying then that we would be lucky to get back into top 4 got ripped to shreds by people believing we would win the league.

Not knocking your thread by the way, nothing wrong with optimism and Its true that with Kenny here and H&G ousted the clouds that were above us for much of last season have gone

I don't think so Tony. I remember most people trying to be supportive but being very sceptical

WindyShepherdHenderson
20-3-12, 01:53
So in conclusion I am buzzing going into the new season. It really is hard not to get excited about what Kenny is building here. In my opinion next season we can definitely challenge for a top 4 place and will achieve this.

:FP:

See, I can be a bell too.

GiorgosCarraGoonies
20-3-12, 03:16

:D

50P-WSTB-Head
20-3-12, 03:21

:D