PDA

View Full Version : I'd be wary of us signing a striker

letsgoagain
23-7-11, 10:16
Think its a position we can just leave, sell N'gog for 5m and then we have Kuyt, Carroll and Suarez. If we spend 6m on a player who is happy to just be a stop gap and go second fiddle to these, how good is he actually gonna be? Probably not very ambitious and just taking a wage and just basically doing the same job as David N'gog. Then we've wasted 6m. And instead of signing a youngster, why not leave the position vacant for one of our academy kids as a target for performing well. What about Adam Morgan, maybe he could make the grade. Then we'd save 11m.

Fowi
23-7-11, 10:18
We'd have to consider whether the guy we're buying is better than N'Gog, but no way would I sell him and not bring someone else in.

RedBaros
23-7-11, 10:18
If we're not going to replace Ngog then there's not much point selling him.
If only to keep him as the main striker in cup comps, along with AM who'll get chances in the league whenever.

I haven't mentioned him in a long time but here again is another vacancy for Lavezzi, who'll play mostly RW and cover up front.

gedzredz
23-7-11, 10:22
Ideally I'd be hoping we sign a striker with raw pace to give us the option to force defences onto the back foot.

TBuck33
23-7-11, 10:22
i'd take morgan for ngog lol!

LLS
23-7-11, 10:23
I'd be very wary of us signing a striker, especially if its ahead of a left back!

Y2Kyle
23-7-11, 10:24
A centre back is more important for me, or a left back.

ForkHandles
23-7-11, 10:25
Connor Wickham was plan A, I guess there's no one of similar circumstance to him out there atm so N'Gog is plan B

TBuck33
23-7-11, 10:25
Ideally I'd be hoping we sign a striker with raw pace to give us the option to force defences onto the back foot.

lmao, um..
morgan, sterling.. :FP:
duh

i bet you they both get a go at 1st team or reserves at some point toward the end of the season, they're just too good imo:P

Dashmundo
23-7-11, 10:27
lmao, um..
duh

i bet you they both get a go at 1st team or reserves at some point toward the end of the season, they're just too good imo:P

Morgan does not have raw pace. Sterling is primarily a winger, although maybe he could play that role.

Either way, neither of them fit his description of "striker with raw pace", so there's no need to ridicule.

iaca
23-7-11, 10:40
I don't think you can ever have too many quality strikers. People talk about injuries and suspensions, but it's not actually uncommon for strikers to have a run of poor form.

I think there will be a lot of pressure on Carroll this season, especially from outside the club. I hope he gets off to a good start with some goals early on to stop any doubters.

If he doesn't we'll never hear the end of "Carroll 35m or Aguero 40m :FP:" type threads.

wavdeep
23-7-11, 10:41
If Carroll spends as much time sidelined as last season then we will need more cover up front. We still don't have a right sided midfielder/winger, so I'd suggest Dirk will spend a lot of time there.

2 players for every position please, so if Ngog ain't good enough, replace him with someone who is.

tonylet
23-7-11, 10:41
If we sell N'Gog and don't buy anyone else, it could be the best thing that has happened to Adam Morgan. :)

Oh-Bout-Tree-Fiddy
23-7-11, 10:43
What about the mexican guy on trial???

dreams-come-true
23-7-11, 10:43
Dont know who from the youth could stand-in for NGog ..... Suso may be? Pacheco needs opportunities.

As to RW ..... may be Sterling might get a chance or two next season.
But generally, I would be for giving the youth more of a chance and in that respect, may be NGog could be sold. Kuyt, Carroll, and Suarez are great options though. And therefore no, we dont really need to buy another striker.

4thKit
23-7-11, 11:01
We'd have to consider whether the guy we're buying is better than N'Gog, but no way would I sell him and not bring someone else in.

I very much doubt Kenny is even after a striker. Few reasons that makes me think this which are,

JHenry stated on Twitter that Aqua and N'gog are going nowhere.

N'gog is a striker who is happy to be at Liverpool even knowing he will play second fiddle to Carroll and Suarez. He has also proven he can score goals, and is still young and learning. Im not saying hes in the same class as strikers we could bring in, but who could we bring in that would be willing to sit on the bench that is the same class as N'gog. Underated IMO.

If you count Kuyt we have 4 first team strikers already. Plus some talented youngsters who, If we brought another striker in, would have even less chance to push for a regular place.

There are other important areas that need bolstering before concidering the luxury of another striker.

brummiered01
23-7-11, 11:03
Ngog isn't bad as a 4th choice striker to be honest. Although I do find him very frustrating at times

JohnBarnesJnr
23-7-11, 11:12
Ngog isn't bad as a 4th choice striker to be honest. Although I do find him very frustrating at times

The quality of hos finishing on the preseason so far has been scintillating...

...also Adam Morgan now has competition in the shape of Molli...just scored a hat trick for the 18s including an amazing 3rd goal

brummiered01
23-7-11, 11:14
The quality of hos finishing on the preseason so far has been scintillating...

...also Adam Morgan now has competition in the shape of Molli...just scored a hat trick for the 18s including an amazing 3rd goal

Yes he has been very good in preseason, hope it can continue

gedzredz
23-7-11, 11:14
lmao, um..
duh

Sorry buddy, I thought we were talking about players to play in the Premier league this season.:o

dvbdanvinbentley
23-7-11, 11:16
ngog,hes done ok in parts,but mostly isnt consistent enough with goals or performances.ide still loan or sell.

Pacheco out on loan then brought back for jan onwards would be ok.

maybe have maxi as a supporting striker squad option?.

Right now ide have these as our attacking options:

Saurez
Carroll
kuyt
pacheco?

maxi?
ngoo?

with kuyt as the 3rd striker who can play with either of our 2 best strikers.

then pacheco as saurez's padawon as it were :D

and maxi as an attacking option to partner kuyt,carroll or saurez.

maybe even ngoo as back up option to carroll,although hele take time to come through still.

TBuck33
23-7-11, 11:18
i agree with u on moli, sort of, which is good for morgan because they are both beasts for their age!!! lol

moli looks like he's going to be a good lad but morgan just has that "it" thing about him..

almost more-so than sterling,
it's just something about their awareness that make you say "damn.. did he just read my mind? that's what i wish i could have done.." etc etc..

they play above their years already but competition is what they need..

loving that amoo is back on the reserves! hopefully can stay and push these guys.

brummiered01
23-7-11, 11:23
i agree with u on moli, sort of, which is good for morgan because they are both beasts for their age!!! lol

moli looks like he's going to be a good lad but morgan just has that "it" thing about him..

it's just something about their awareness that make you say "damn.. did he just read my mind? that's what i wish i could have done.." etc etc..

loving that amoo is back on the reserves! hopefully can stay and push these guys.

He has the kind of name that journalists will love to make headlines about!

brummiered01
23-7-11, 11:25

Is Ngoo promising then?

I don't watch the reserves much but from what I have seen he looks to be talented but a bit clumsy aswell.

Reminds me a bit of Paulo Wanchope

Hobbes.
23-7-11, 11:28
i'd take morgan for ngog lol!

No offence, but I think its fans like you that would turn on Morgan the fastest. Ngog is still far better currently than any potential academy graduate we have, and you cant just throw Morgan into the deep end with the kneejerkers about.

TBuck33
22-8-12, 08:00
No offence, but I think its fans like you that would turn on Morgan the fastest. Ngog is still far better currently than any potential academy graduate we have, and you cant just throw Morgan into the deep end with the kneejerkers about.

yes i can lol. and i'd still take morgan or sterling atm.. that was over a year ago.. so what'd i tell you..

tracetherain
22-8-12, 08:02
yes i can lol. and i'd still take morgan or sterling atm.. that was over a year ago.. so what'd i tell you..

He said CURRENTLY over a year ago you buffoon. And he was correct

TBuck33
22-8-12, 08:07
Morgan does not have raw pace. Sterling is primarily a winger, although maybe he could play that role.

Either way, neither of them fit his description of "striker with raw pace", so there's no need to ridicule.

not ridiculing at all, and i think you're right about sterling and that he isn't really made for that role but he can handle it much better now than what you expected.. that's all i was saying is that he looks stronger than he looks.. and morgan isn't ready but i'd rather he get playing time and get experience even if it meant ngog leaving so morgan have that space on the reserves..

-Deano-
22-8-12, 08:10

:confused:

What exactly was the point of this post, all you've done IMO is make yourself look like a bit of a spanner.

TBuck33
22-8-12, 08:10
He said CURRENTLY over a year ago you buffoon. And he was correct

it was in light spirits.. sry.. didn't know you had still had a "thing" for n'gog..

FIOS
22-8-12, 08:15
Jesus Christ...

RedKite
22-8-12, 08:21

Raw pace comes from the wing, Sterling, Assaidi, Johnson or Adam Johnson. The art of the striker is to be in the right place at the right time - Borini, Adorjan, NGoo, Morgan. If he is showing any life I would give Ibe a chance somewhere too, just to see if he can play with the big boys.

My point is that our resources need to be explored.

sizlack
22-8-12, 08:23
the allen 15 million should have been spent on a striker

RedKite
22-8-12, 08:27
the allen 15 million should have been spent on a striker

The manager had faith in Borini. Probably has faith.

RiiseAgainst
22-8-12, 08:39
N'Gog is still a better striker than Morgan. And Sterling is a winger.

You're not the brightest tool in the shed, are you?

TBuck33
22-8-12, 09:00

no, but n'gog is.

pete752
22-8-12, 09:15
Morgan is not even in the first team picture and there is nothing suggesting that he's going to be this season..people think he's the second coming of Micheal Owen while in reality, he is not.

DiscoDjimi
22-8-12, 09:36

N'gog is a better striker then Carroll, discuss.

RiiseAgainst
22-8-12, 13:34
N'gog is a better striker then Carroll, discuss.

DiscoDjimi is a ******* piece of **** with no future.

Discuss.