PDA

View Full Version : There's Something about the Lad

BoDiddley
27-7-11, 09:46
There's just something about the lad Spearing that marks him out

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/spearing-i-m-up-for-challenge

Not the best, the biggest, the most talented, the most obviously skillful.
Yet, if ever there was a player that embodies the Liverpool Spirit, the Liverpool Way, that never-say-die attitude, then this is the boy.

I see him as the new wee Sammy, the Billy Bremner, our very own Little Alan Ball, and though there is talk of him being loaned out to Wolves, I can't see it happening.

I think he'll still be here in ten years time and have a cabinet full of trophies in a big house just like Stevie.
Spearo is th etype of player this club was built on - I'm glad he got his new contract. I'm made up that Kenny & Comolli have faith in him.

Matt-CM
27-7-11, 09:48
Well said. Jay is a really great character and it would be great to see him succeed at LFC. Last season he showed what he could do and played a big part in the second half revival which almost took us into Europe.

I'd be happy to see him scrapping for a midfield place next season but if he does go on loan I hope he gets the chances to kick on and show that he's cut out for the top level. If he does Liverpool couldn't ask for a more committed player.

the-las
27-7-11, 09:50
Consistently man of the match for the reserves for two years and then got a break in the first team. Wasnt too sure about how he would step up - was one of our best midfielders towards the end of the season once he realised he was good enough to play at this level.

Want him in and around the first team not on loan somewhere else whilst the likes of merieles are jumping out of tackles.

He proved to me that he can be trusted whenever called upon.

festinho
27-7-11, 09:53
It would be hard to get rid of a player with his qualities and with Liverpool in his veins. I consider love of a club as a 'skill' someone can offer the team. You know he's going to run that extra yard, make that last ditch tackle, hurt when the team loses....

By all means he's not indispensable but clubs need to think really long and hard before getting rid of players whose dream it is to play for the clubs they love, especially if they can play a bit too. Spearing is one of such players. He also accepts the challenge, so I'd say keep him.

SixYardBoxer
27-7-11, 09:56
Consistently man of the match for the reserves for two years and then got a break in the first team. Wasnt too sure about how he would step up - was one of our best midfielders towards the end of the season once he realised he was good enough to play at this level.

Want him in and around the first team not on loan somewhere else whilst the likes of merieles are jumping out of tackles.

Really well put. I totally agree.

BoDiddley
27-7-11, 09:59

Having a player that you can rely on, come rain and shine away at Blackburn or Wolves, is a great asset I believe

Thespian
27-7-11, 10:01
Personally I'm not really a fan of the lad but his improvement under Kenny was pretty extraordinary.

WineForMyMen
27-7-11, 10:03
Consistently man of the match for the reserves for two years

Actually wasn't. Pacheco and Mavinga were. Unless you count Steve Hunter giving it to Spearing before every game kicked off. Anyway...

Works really hard, seems like a nice lad, but he doesn't have a long-term future here IMO. You could apply the opening of the OP to Neil Mellor.

InsomniacOlympics
27-7-11, 10:07
Wouldn't mind if he went off on loan this year. Had a full years worth of first team football. Would be great for his development.

Lizboy10
27-7-11, 10:09
He is a pretty poor footballer imo, but we all love a trier, so good luck to the lad

welshypool
27-7-11, 10:12
he surprised me in how well he did. Its fairly simple limited players like Jay who can sometimes have a bigger impact, no ego and a club man. Puts the foot in, moves the ball on smartly and quickly and knows how to play to a game plan. Presses well too.

Sometimes football is over complicated, by fans as well, Spearing does the simple things well and while he's not a consumer fans dream with frills and slick hair, I imagine he's great to call upon as a manager.

BoDiddley
27-7-11, 10:14
Actually wasn't. Pacheco and Mavinga were. Unless you count Steve Hunter giving it to Spearing before every game kicked off. Anyway...

Works really hard, seems like a nice lad, but he doesn't have a long-term future here IMO. You could apply the opening of the OP to Neil Mellor.

Not so re Neil Mellor

I'm not saying he's good because he loves the club
I'm saying he's good because he's good

Seanosdelgardo
27-7-11, 10:15
Jay's a bit of a conundrum for me. His heart, passion, performances and all round improvement towards the end of last year under Kenny were nothing short of brilliant.......but.....is he going to get passed the biggest central midfield in the world to get a game? I'm not so sure.

Maybe a loan move to Wolves would be a good thing for both him and the club. We get a player with a full years worth of game time under his belt next year, and Jay gets game time to develop.

BoDiddley
27-7-11, 10:15
He is a pretty poor footballer imo, but we all love a trier, so good luck to the lad

Don't we have a bet about him not starting any of the first five premier league matches ?

If you lose, will you concede he might be better than you think ?

Alon1
27-7-11, 10:18
he had a good run of games in the second half of the season, and showed he could be a decent back up player, problem is you feel that his ceeling and he won't go much futher.

i am ok for him staying cause the we don't have many defensive options in the midfield, saying that if Lucas would get injured for 4 months i would be terrified of having to rely on Spearing for that long.

Mike-91
27-7-11, 10:20
Jay's a good player and if Lucas was out for 4 months; I wouldn't have a problem with Spearing taking over and think he would do a good job.

BoDiddley
27-7-11, 10:26
Jay's a good player and if Lucas was out for 4 months; I wouldn't have a problem with Spearing taking over and think he would do a good job.

I don't see him as a replacement for Lucas, I see him as a partner.
I think he'll partner Lucas, Adam, and Gerrard in the course of the season

-JTR-
27-7-11, 10:26
Jay's a bit of a conundrum for me. His heart, passion, performances and all round improvement towards the end of last year under Kenny were nothing short of brilliant.......but.....is he going to get passed the biggest central midfield in the world to get a game? I'm not so sure.

Maybe a loan move to Wolves would be a good thing for both him and the club. We get a player with a full years worth of game time under his belt next year, and Jay gets game time to develop.

I'd be the same.

I think the lad has great heart passion and a willingness to keep going, but I'm not sure he has the ability.

I'd have him in my squad but I dont think he will ever be a first name on the team sheet type player.

What he does give us though is options for resting Lucas during the season, games against QPR, Norwich, Swansea and Wigan are games where we would hope to be able to rest players like Lucas for the bigger games coming up on the fixture list.

Carlton Facepalmer
27-7-11, 10:27

Yet, if ever there was a player that embodies the Liverpool Spirit, the Liverpool Way, that never-say-die attitude, then this is the boy.

I see him as the new wee Sammy, the Billy Bremner, our very own Little Alan Ball, and though there is talk of him being loaned out to Wolves, I can't see it happening.

I think he'll still be here in ten years time and have a cabinet full of trophies in a big house just like Stevie.
Spearo is th etype of player this club was built on - I'm glad he got his new contract. I'm made up that Kenny & Comolli have faith in him.

Why does he need a big house? He could live comfortably in a shoe :D and hire out a rent-a-space to keep all his silverware! :scarf

Thespian
27-7-11, 10:28
Not so re Neil Mellor

I'm not saying he's good because he loves the club
I'm saying he's good because he's good

You've been an avid fan of Jay for a few seasons Bo which is commendable, I remember you beating the drum for him to start ahead of Lucas because in your opinion he was better than him.

However compared to our glut of midfielders at the mo where would you rate him?

IMO he's Probably 2nd last ahead of Poulsen.

At DM Henderson could probably cover Lucas and that to me is the difference.

Spearing is 23 now while Henderson 21 was considered to be worth 15 mill+

Jay's a good lad and could be a starter for the likes of a Fulham or West Brom He's definitely a good Championship level player.

Unfortunately Scouseness doesn't really translate into football ability but if it did he'd be a superstar.

Cumbrian.
27-7-11, 10:31

That's clear evidence to me that you are terribly uneducated when it comes to football.
The kid barely got a chance to prove how good he was until last season and in the games I saw him he was outstanding at times.

Alon1

do you think Spearing is anywhere Lucas quality?
Actually i am thinking now, and during this good run, didn't he play alongside Lucas every single game?
we are not even sure if he could replace him at all.

GeorgeLFC
Good squad player. If given the opportunity can be better.

GordonBennett
27-7-11, 10:32
Wooooooooah we got the biggest midfield in the world, we got Raul Meireles, Lucas Leiva, Jay Spearing, Al-berto, Stevie Gerrard, Maxi Rodrigues, Charlie Adam, Jonjo Shelvey, Derek Trotter, Christian Poulsen, Downing and Hendoooooooooooooooo.

Skip Bayless
27-7-11, 10:46
If we sold him I doubt it'd come back to haunt us. He's a good player but he's only destined for the top wearing a Liverpool jersey and as a squad player.

BoDiddley
27-7-11, 10:46
You've been an avid fan of Jay for a few seasons Bo which is commendable, I remember you beating the drum for him to start ahead of Lucas because in your opinion he was better than him.

However compared to our glut of midfielders at the mo where would you rate him?

IMO he's Probably 2nd last ahead of Poulsen.

At DM Henderson could probably cover Lucas and that to me is the difference.

Spearing is 23 now while Henderson 21 was considered to be worth 15 mill+

Jay's a good lad and could be a starter for the likes of a Fulham or West Brom He's definitely a good Championship level player.

Unfortunately Scouseness doesn't really translate into football ability but if it did he'd be a superstar.

I'd rate him ahead of Poulsen, Aquilani, Maxi, Shelvey, Kuyt (as a midfielder), Adam (if it's a choice between the two), Meireles.

The game against Sunderland is just the type of game where Spearo will play and prove his quality.
Lucas and Suarez, maybe Stevie, will be out.

Mike-91
27-7-11, 10:52
do you think Spearing is anywhere Lucas quality?
Actually i am thinking now, and during this good run, didn't he play alongside Lucas every single game?
we are not even sure if he could replace him at all.

What has Lucas being a better player than Spearing; got to do with Jay being able to do the DM job?

He's a back-up. Not suppose to be the same quality.

He would do a fine job imo.

baglanboy
27-7-11, 10:52
I'd rate him ahead of Poulsen, Aquilani, Maxi, Shelvey, Kuyt (as a midfielder), Adam (if it's a choice between the two), Meireles.

Fair play that is madness and proves that you must be a family member.

Deluded - commendable of course, but deluded.

Skip Bayless
27-7-11, 10:54

I know you rate the lad but this is total lunacy.

BoDiddley
27-7-11, 11:08
I know you rate the lad but this is total lunacy.

which player would you put him behind then ?

BoDiddley
27-7-11, 11:11
Fair play that is madness and proves that you must be a family member.

Deluded - commendable of course, but deluded.

Out with it - I'll say only Kuyt is debatable there

baglanboy
27-7-11, 11:31
Out with it - I'll say only Kuyt is debatable there

Poulsen - ok probably a tie so I'll give you Poulsen

Aquilani - sorry, no. Aqua can pass accurately, score, has time on the ball and has quality little Jay can dream about. Jay can prob tackle better.

Maxi - aside from the fact different positions , watch Maxi making runs into space, passing, ability and a long time International - how many caps has Jay got?.

Shelvey - neck & neck here - Spearing could learn from Shelvey a bit of composure on the ball, while Shelvey could learn from Jay how not to be so lazy on the pitch.

Kuyt (as a midfielder) - even as midfielder Kuyt is superior, even in touch!

Adam (if it's a choice between the two) - I'm not a huge Adam fan but as everyone says, passing, ability, deadbal; situations, game awareness

Meireles - again where to start, so I wont - technique, ability, scoring, runs into channels, awareness and on and on.

I am glad however you've stopped the futile Lucas bagging that you used to do, so thats a positive!.

Thespian
27-7-11, 11:35

I think you have killed this thread with that post of bravado Bo.:FP:

Spearing is only better than Poulsen and even that's debateable because Poulsen is a seasoned international caps and played for Sevilla and Juve.

Even in the little I've seen of Shelvey he has shown more than Jay if you doubt that take a look at Shelvey's Charlton performances.

I'll take you up on that bet that Spearing won't start our first 5 games because he'll more than likely be on loan somewhere else.

According to the reports I've read it's LFC who have offered Jay to Wolves not the other way around.

BoDiddley
27-7-11, 11:51
Poulsen - ok probably a tie so I'll give you Poulsen

Aquilani - sorry, no. Aqua can pass accurately, score, has time on the ball and has quality little Jay can dream about. Jay can prob tackle better.

Maxi - aside from the fact different positions , watch Maxi making runs into space, passing, ability and a long time International - how many caps has Jay got?.

Shelvey - neck & neck here - Spearing could learn from Shelvey a bit of composure on the ball, while Shelvey could learn from Jay how not to be so lazy on the pitch.

Kuyt (as a midfielder) - even as midfielder Kuyt is superior, even in touch!

Adam (if it's a choice between the two) - I'm not a huge Adam fan but as everyone says, passing, ability, deadbal; situations, game awareness

Meireles - again where to start, so I wont - technique, ability, scoring, runs into channels, awareness and on and on.

I am glad however you've stopped the futile Lucas bagging that you used to do, so thats a positive!.

So, you prove you don't actually understand what Spearing brings to the team
Kenny will pick Spearing over Aquilani every day of the week - never mind the others

Take the bet with Lizboy - Spearo WILL start one of the first five league games - I'd bet he'll start against Sunderland
If he does, will you be big eonugh to change your mind ?

steppag1
27-7-11, 11:57
he had a good run in the team when he came in, his terrier style was very effective, but im not sure where he would play now with all the mids we have, maybe in cup games and if say Lucas is injured or left out

Skip Bayless
27-7-11, 12:00
Kenny will pick Spearing over Aquilani every day of the week - never mind the others

Can you explain what he 'brings to the team' that you keep on harping on about?

baglanboy
27-7-11, 12:23

Take the bet with Lizboy - Spearo WILL start one of the first five league games - I'd bet he'll start against Sunderland
If he does, will you be big eonugh to change your mind ?

yeah, Thats not actually what you said though is it.

You said that Spearing was better than the list of player you produced.

Quite clearly, he isnt.

Look great, he runs around all day, fantastic mate, brilliant, if I had the fitness and played for my boyhood side, so would I, but that I'm afraid doesnt ( or shouldnt) cut it at a side like Liverpool - imho of course.

BoDiddley
27-7-11, 12:24
yeah, Thats not actually what you said though is it.

You said that Spearing was better than the list of player you produced.

Quite clearly, he isnt.

Look great, he runs around all day, fantastic mate, brilliant, if I had the fitness and played for my boyhood side, so would I, but that I'm afraid doesnt ( or shouldnt) cut it at a side like Liverpool - imho of course.

If Kenny picks him, that means he's better, doesn't it ?

Tuta
27-7-11, 12:25

The game against Sunderland is just the type of game where Spearo will play and prove his quality.

Is he your younger brother? In that list there are Brazil and Portugal internationals among the others, and Spearing will never play for England.

Lizboy10
27-7-11, 12:29
Don't we have a bet about him not starting any of the first five premier league matches ?

If you lose, will you concede he might be better than you think ?

We do have a bet yes, and I wont lose

grenny158
27-7-11, 12:30
The jury is still very much out on Spearing for me .. I was very impressed with what he showed at the end of last season and he certainly gave strong indication that he could fill a Sammy Lee like role at the club, which, if you remember how effective Lee was as a midfield terrier, would be a very good thing.

I reckon his future at LFC will be determined in the next two seasons - either he will become a fixture in our midfield or he will be shipped out and sold. My leaning at the moment, considering our riches in midfield, is the latter. I do acknowledge, however, I may well be wrong. Time will tell.

KurtAngle
27-7-11, 12:30

Not at all, no. A manager picking a player could be for a number of reasons - fitness of other players, the opposition involved, the tactics employed etc etc. Not to mention it's only one guy's opinion if we just look at the manager.

So in terms of a player being "better" [which I'm sure you would define as footballing/technical ability] - one manager picking him over someone else is not proof of this.

However, my opinion of Jay Spearing is that he shows passion, committment and is a useful player to have around. Would I have in the first team? No. I think the likes of Adam, Henderson, Gerrard and Lucas are all better players. I wouldn't mind him playing a few games a season when we want to rest key players as I trust him to do a job, but I certainly would want him to be a regular starter as I don't think he's capable for the whole season.

Would I be disappointed if he does start every game and proves me wrong? Of course not. The problem here is that if he wasn't scouse he wouldn't be praised as much (think Lucas). I'm a scouser and it's nice to see local guys in the team and doing well, but it shouldn't be at the expense of other players who are better (in my opinion). However as I said above it's up to Kenny to decide who is most suited for each game.

Tuta
27-7-11, 12:31

No it means that Meireles is being sold and Gerard is still injured. I don"t think he will start ahead of Adam. Maybe he will start if Lucas is not ready to play in that first game. But long term solution to our first XI he is not.

baglanboy
27-7-11, 12:34

Ahh the Kenny gambit - up there with "Kenny knows best, end of thread" and "I'm just going outside, I may be some time".

He played end of season because of injury & depth issues. In a fully fit & functioning midfield, he wouldnt get on the bench.

slimman
27-7-11, 12:36
Oh boy.

People better get out of the way as it seems Bo is on a warpath for Spearing.

I like your passion for him Bo but i think in terms of overall quality he's lacking. Yes he has the drive and passion for the club because he's Liverpool through and through (that no-one can deny him) but i think he's a little bit limited in what he can do.

Not saying he can't be called upon to do a job but in my opinion we should be looking at better quality for the club. Definately a squad player as far as i'm concerned.

Ad_Rock
27-7-11, 12:36
You're giving him extra credit for being Liverpudlian. There are no players of his level playing regularly for Chelsea, Arsenal, City, United or Spurs. We can't hold ourselves back (much as I appreciate Spearing's attitude).

Lizboy10
27-7-11, 12:39
Ahh the Kenny gambit - up there with "Kenny knows best, end of thread" and "I'm just going outside, I may be some time".

He played end of season because of injury & depth issues. In a fully fit & functioning midfield, he wouldnt get on the bench.

18 for Sunderland game (as it stands)

Team: Reina, Kelly, Carra, Agger, Johnson, Adam, Gerrard, Henderson, Downing, Carroll, Suarez

Subs: Kuyt, Doni, Lucas, Aquilani, Meireles, Flanaghan, Skrtel

That would mean Ngog, Shelvey & Spearing missing out as well as several other

Obviously the starting midfield is a moot point but that will be the 18 no doubt

domino
27-7-11, 12:44

Team: Reina, Kelly, Carra, Agger, Johnson, Adam, Gerrard, Henderson, Downing, Carroll, Suarez

Obviously the starting midfield is a moot point but that will be the 18 no doubt

Will you start spelling Flannagan correctly ffs!

Also Aquilani is going in case you hadn't realised.

doughts28
27-7-11, 12:45

*Flanagan

Lizboy10
27-7-11, 12:46

If AA goes then Ngog willl be on the bench, dont need more than 2 mids on the bench

grenny158

You mean like this:

F L A N A G A N

Lizboy10

Also I spelt Flanaghan correctly :confused:

grenny158
27-7-11, 12:47

No, you didn't.

See above.

Lizboy10
27-7-11, 12:49
No, you didn't.

See above.

Pfft :D

grenny158
27-7-11, 12:50
Pfft :D

You spelled Pfft wrong.

It's pffffffft.

domino
27-7-11, 12:51
*Flanagan

:D ;)

domino
27-7-11, 12:52

:FP:

Lizboy10
You spelled Pfft wrong.

It's pffffffft.

Its not spelled, its spelt ;)

Lizboy10

You have had a western here

grenny158
27-7-11, 12:54

domino
27-7-11, 12:55

You have had a western here

You thought Flanaghan was the correct spelling.

Mine was just a typo, but you've been spelling it that way forever!

doughts28
27-7-11, 12:55
OK now that that's settled, back to Spearing. Who to cover Lucas at DM if Spearing gets loaned out (I don't really want to hear anything about vibes or fluid midfield threes, we need a DM as we throw a lot of people forward and our defence is still a bit shaky). Personally, Meireles seems the most likely to me and he's shown nothing in the Premiership to show he can do this. Spearing can be a useful squad player to a few years but eventually I think he'll be moved on to a mid-table club because that's his level and he deserves to play games. Don't think he's a long-term solution, but he's better as a squad option for DM than anyone we have at the moment

TheWalkingRed
27-7-11, 12:56
Why does he need a big house? He could live comfortably in a shoe :D and hire out a rent-a-space to keep all his silverware! :scarf

He could live in Bilbo Baggins' gaff.

Lizboy10

That would be Sopelt

Good bunch they are

grenny158
Its not spelled, its spelt ;)

http://www.englishforums.com/English/SpelledOrSpelt/kzmjz/post.htm
;)

Lizboy10
27-7-11, 12:57

Brilliant! :D

Yeah mine was a "typo" too :D

-Monk-
27-7-11, 12:58

Haven't you said on countless occasions that you want him out :confused:

Lizboy10
27-7-11, 12:58
http://www.englishforums.com/English/SpelledOrSpelt/kzmjz/post.htm
;)

I am now content in the knowledge that I took up part of your day to do what you did ;)

Lizboy10
27-7-11, 12:59
Haven't you said on countless occasions that you want him out :confused:

Yeah I do, it doesnt mean I dont respect the effort he puts in and the excellent attitude he has

Stevie Jesus
27-7-11, 13:00

words fail me

Koppingitred
27-7-11, 13:08
Jay is one of my favourite LFC player.

Is he blessed or will he ever reach the potential of hundreds of other players? No, probably not, but his passion, drive and attitude lacks somewhat in our team from time to time, and these qualities are an extremely significant part of a winning side. An EXTREMELY significant part.

If you rated Jay based on him as an individual player (physique, skill, athleticism), and then rated Jay based on his abiltiy to fit in, churn out consistent, solid performances and make a team gel...the latter will be rated alot more highly.

Team chemistry is ideal to a winning side, and Jay helps this chemistry.

I look at a similar player like Sergio Busquets of Barcelona, who as an individual i hardly rate at all, but his ability to contribute, play and WIN with Spain and Barcelona is what I admire. Not all players have this trait.

My point is Jay should not be overlooked, and is a great player. Does not recieve enough credit for his passing and attacking movement.

Good Luck Jay. I admire your attitude!

Luca05-10-09
27-7-11, 13:09

Is he blessed or will he ever reach the potential of hundreds of other players? No, probably not, but his passion, drive and attitude lacks somewhat in our team from time to time, and these qualities are an extremely significant part of a winning side. An EXTREMELY significant part.

If you rated Jay based on him as an individual player (physique, skill, athleticism), and then rated Jay based on his abiltiy to fit in, churn out consistent, solid performances and make a team gel...the latter will be rated alot more highly.

I look at a similar player like Sergio Busquets of Barcelona, who as an individual i hardly rate at all, but his ability to contribute, play and WIN with Spain and Barcelona is what I admire. Not all players have this trait.

My point is Jay should not be overlooked, and is a great player. Does not recieve enough credit for his passing and attacking movement.

This surely could of gone in the JAY SPEARING thread

Sawyenara
27-7-11, 13:10
Couldn't agree more!! Jay is a superb squad player... Liverpool through and through.

Koppingitred
27-7-11, 13:12
This surely could of gone in the JAY SPEARING thread

No one reads, bumped threads...the latter part anyway

Skip Bayless
27-7-11, 13:14
No one reads, bumped threads...the latter part anyway

Fair play you didn't see it but there's already a thread on this started this morning.

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=264965

baglanboy
27-7-11, 13:14
Couldn't agree more!! Jay is a superb squad player... Liverpool through and through.

I've often wondered if people think this makes him more 'Liverpool' than say players who have come through the academy and are from foreign climes - surely they can be Liverpool through & through too??

BayernBru
27-7-11, 13:15

This really, he's only ever going to be a squad player.

Gazza74
27-7-11, 13:21
I like Jay a lot, always have, and he did an excellent job when called upon for Kenny last season, definately stepped up to a new level for sure.

However, he will be behind the likes of Lucas, Henderson, Meireles, Gerrard and Adam for a starting birth next season and it'll be 2, maybe 3 of them that'll start before Jay if all fit.

But, that isn't to say Jay won't feature should he still be here as with injuries, suspensions, different opposition and other such things he'll most likely play a part through the season and he can be relied upon for sure, as we saw last season.

It's nice we have these 6 players now in central midfield and none of them will let us down, including Jay, plus young Shelvey, who can continue his development aswell, so it's all good moving forward.

With Jay, Raul, Stevie, Charlie, Jordan and Lucas, plus Jonjo, we have no worries about central midfield for me next season that's for sure and Jordan is a bonus as i'd have only had the other 6 if i was manager, so Kenny has added one more into the bargain.

Ad_Rock
27-7-11, 13:23

He does it as a really strange way of disrespecting Flanno, who he believes is so much worse than Robinson that we should just ignore him entirely and give him less support than our other players.

Also 'you've had a western' is his new thing.

Gazza74
27-7-11, 13:30

You say, "As it stands", but then say, "No doubts", so you've contradicted yourself a bit there.

We don't know who will be available come Sunderland in terms of fitness, being loaned/sold, others coming in, etc etc, so there is doubt as to what the 18 will be at this stage and Jay could figure in it depending on varying factors.

BoDiddley
27-7-11, 14:57
I like Jay a lot, always have, and he did an excellent job when called upon for Kenny last season, definately stepped up to a new level for sure.

However, he will be behind the likes of Lucas, Henderson, Meireles, Gerrard and Adam for a starting birth next season and it'll be 2, maybe 3 of them that'll start before Jay if all fit.

But, that isn't to say Jay won't feature should he still be here as with injuries, suspensions, different opposition and other such things he'll most likely play a part through the season and he can be relied upon for sure, as we saw last season.

It's nice we have these 6 players now in central midfield and none of them will let us down, including Jay, plus young Shelvey, who can continue his development aswell, so it's all good moving forward.

With Jay, Raul, Stevie, Charlie, Jordan and Lucas, plus Jonjo, we have no worries about central midfield for me next season that's for sure and Jordan is a bonus as i'd have only had the other 6 if i was manager, so Kenny has added one more into the bargain.

That's a very big assumption.
He won't be behind Meireles for a start. And he'll be vying with Lucas and Adam in my view

baglanboy
27-7-11, 15:56
That's a very big assumption.
He won't be behind Meireles for a start. And he'll be vying with Lucas and Adam in my view

Can you explain why you think that is ( and please dont say 'beacuse Meireles wont be here')

Thespian
4-6-12, 16:43
:IN:

Obi-Red Kenobi
4-6-12, 16:48

squad player at his very best

mustay101
4-6-12, 17:04
Got found out this season.

NJNorm
4-6-12, 17:09
which player would you put him behind then ?

I would put him last of all our midfielders at present. He is prone to lapses of concentration that see him mis place passes and get pulled out of position.
I agree his attitude is excellent as his his work rate but he has to concentrate for 90 minutes

markusB
4-6-12, 17:09
Got found out this season.

He made many mistakes when called upon? Still sweat blood for the team. He may work out in BR's team, as he can cover the ground well. but needs to be more technical, which he can be. I have always wanted Scousers in the team a Spearing has worked hard to get where he is. Not the greatest, but he will always work hard.

And yes, I was disapointed with him at times last season, but that can be said for some others as well.

jakesing
4-6-12, 17:11
He made many mistakes when called upon? Still sweat blood for the team. He may work out in BR's team, as he can cover the ground well. but needs to be more technical, which he can be. I have always wanted Scousers in the team a Spearing has worked hard to get where he is. Not the greatest, but he will always work hard.

And yes, I was disapointed with him at times last season, but that can be said for some others as well.

This makes me think you haven't read a thing about Rodger's football philosophy.

RedMammoth
4-6-12, 17:15
His short and simple passing game should mean he has a place in the squad at least for the next season or two. He's a useful player to have as backup to the midfield.

RiiseAgainst
4-6-12, 17:15
But Sigurdsson is Rodgers' equivalent of Konchesky.

MignoLetItBe
4-6-12, 17:17
These days you need more than passion and aggression, especially at the top level.

SomeKloppo
4-6-12, 18:02
I remember facepalming at this thread. We need determination, the never-say-die attitude and all of that in a player. We have that in Lucas and with quality. That's what we need. Otherwise, all of us fans with determination could make it.

SweetSilverSeven
4-6-12, 21:14
Don't understand his obsession with him :rolleyes:

DiscoDjimi
4-6-12, 21:16
Decent player, immediately found out against better opposition though.

InsomniacOlympics
4-6-12, 21:27
The lad has a lot of heart, unfortunately his talent doesn't match that. He's just not up to it, and he's no DM.

old-school
4-6-12, 21:33
He's been here since he was a kid...he could have become something special by now but he's not a natural talent, he's been taught the game.

Championship player. End thread!

No more sentiments this is football not ******* Unicef

LucasAintDancin
4-6-12, 21:36
Absolutely no where near the quality needed to succeed at the top level.

LivNr9
4-6-12, 21:42
No, just no. Not even as a back up, sell him

ScotMercer
4-6-12, 21:53
I like Jay, whats not to like - old fashioned honest pro - no diving, rolling around like you have been shot even when taking some bad fouls - who obviously loves the club. He is actually a tidy passer of the ball and would love to see Rodgers work with him and build his confidence and tactical side. Think that took a bit of a knock last season after the sending off and cup final. He can be back up for Lucas I am sure and moving him on wont save the wages bill (unlike some others). But being realistic I think he is more likely to be moved on and that might be the best thing for the lad.

phuzz
4-6-12, 21:56
I like Spearing a lot, but we really need an upgrade on him next season. I think we should let him go.

Kloppstachio
Won't shirk from the fact that I've been a big fan of Jay's - a perennial underdog overachiever. Was happy to see the opportunities he had last season and how well he took them. But that was in a more fluid midfield with both Lucas and Meireles. This season, he's had Adam/Henderson/Shelvey to play alongside him and the pressure's been a lot more for Jay to bear. The glaring errors are his to own but I would not blame him solely for his bad form in the latter stages of this season. In the end, our midfield combination was just not good enough and Jay is not culpable alone.

Batteries
Don't understand his obsession with him :rolleyes:
neither do I.

MaradonaTheGreatest
4-6-12, 22:05

He should be sold. He's not good enough. We need players who are good enough to win titles instead of keeping someone like Spearing because he 'embodies' the Liverpool spirit. We have no time for this. We need to get in players who will give us the best shot at winning titles and ship out those who are simply not good enough and no one fits this better than Spearing.

Syndicato
4-6-12, 22:11
He's been here since he was a kid...he could have become something special by now but he's not a natural talent, he's been taught the game.

Championship player. End thread!

No more sentiments this is football not ******* Unicef

:D

4thKit
4-6-12, 22:11
Won't shirk from the fact that I've been a big fan of Jay's - a perennial underdog overachiever. Was happy to see the opportunities he had last season and how well he took them. But that was in a more fluid midfield with both Lucas and Meireles. This season, he's had Adam/Henderson/Shelvey to play alongside him and the pressure's been a lot more for Jay to bear. The glaring errors are his to own but I would not blame him solely for his bad form in the latter stages of this season. In the end, our midfield combination was just not good enough and Jay is not culpable alone.

Nicely put. Agreed.

WineForMyMen
4-6-12, 22:14
No amount of scouseness or "tries hard" rhetoric will ever hide the fact that Jay Spearing is a technically very average player that excels in no single area.

Nice lad, and I hope he forges a decent career for himself. But it's going to be lower PL or decent Championship level at best.

Thespian
16-5-16, 23:28
I'd forgotten all about this thread. Pure comedy gold in every page...:D

Liverdinner
16-5-16, 23:31

*********** hell Bo.

These were the days.

Vortigen
16-5-16, 23:35
****in' Jay Spearing *shudders*

MiraclesArePossible
16-5-16, 23:53

MiraclesArePossible
16-5-16, 23:54

HOLY **** :eek:

Acumen
17-5-16, 00:35
This thread. :D

FistofRage
17-5-16, 04:29
I'd forgotten all about this thread. Pure comedy gold in every page...:D