PDA

View Full Version : Seriously worried?

ForzaSuarez
1-8-11, 22:33
i know its pre-season but come on, 2 weeks untill the sunderland game, the team that played tonight is the team that will play on the 13th.

Its abit worrying that we cant break down a Norway side currently 11th in the league.

Aquilani came on and changed the game again but hes on his way out.

Carroll really annoys me, hes so slow, doesnt close down defenders, so lazy, his knock downs are aimless, he cant do the pass and move so we send aimless long balls up to him that come to nothing.

Adam gave away a stupid penalty and daft freekicks in dangerous areas, exactly what he did at blackpool.

Is no one worried after that match? it was embarassing :FP:

irishYNWA
1-8-11, 22:35
i know its pre-season but come on, 2 weeks untill the sunderland game, the team that played tonight is the team that will play on the 13th.

Its abit worrying that we cant break down a Norway side currently 11th in the league.

Carroll really annoys me, hes so slow, doesnt close down defenders, so lazy, his knock downs are aimless, he cant do the pass and move so we send aimless long balls up to him that come to nothing.

Adam gave away a stupid penalty and daft freekicks in dangerous areas, exactly what he did at blackpool.

No whats embarrassing is some people's over reaction in here. It's all about fitness no matter what. Sure we would rather win all our games destroying teams etc but in reality it wont happen.

Bombay Money Lender
1-8-11, 22:36

I'll let you worry for me as you seem so good at it :D

jonsonos
1-8-11, 22:37

Apart from the 3 times we did...

LivingProof
1-8-11, 22:37

Can you predict the future? :rolleyes:

ForzaSuarez
1-8-11, 22:38
Apart from the 3 times we did...

not from open play though, 2 corners, 1 cross. we didnt have one 1 on 1 chance.

jonsonos
1-8-11, 22:39
not from open play though, 2 corners, 1 cross. we didnt have one 1 on 1 chance.

So we did from open play then.

shody1976
1-8-11, 22:39
You're right mate, we're **********. We might as well all give up and take up flower arranging and potty washing instead.

Fowi
1-8-11, 22:40
Whether you think pre season form will carry into the season is one debate, but nobody can be happy with much we've seen in all the games since the reset.

MrSirJames
1-8-11, 22:42
There could be some differences.
We might have a proven left back by then. and a new CB. who knows.

Also spearing (who i think personally had a bad game) won't start and will be replaced by lucas.

Also players like Reina, Johnson and even agger will be more fit, and 2 weeks can do alot for the new players adapting to the team.

You have to remember we have a horrible away record... we'll see what we're like at Anfield agasint Valencia soon :)

jonsonos
1-8-11, 22:42
Whether you think pre season form will carry into the season is one debate, but nobody can be happy with much we've seen in all the games since the reset.

Nope we have been cack.

prredhouse
1-8-11, 22:46

I think the boss is doing a lot of work trying to work out formations with new midfielders, trying out squad players in defense(for the previous friendlies) and working out an attack without luis. All of that without stevie or lucas as well. It's a tough job but I feel it will come good for the season ahead. There will also be new players coming in before the end of august too. IMO a top four finish is what we all really want this year.

Stevieq3
1-8-11, 22:48
I think the players will try alot harder against sunderland, but i must admit i am worried about alot of things defensively, just hoping we can score more than we concede.

MrSirJames
1-8-11, 22:51
Also remember our home form is quality....

No Angel
1-8-11, 22:52
No!

Stevieq3
1-8-11, 22:52
Yeh but we need our away form to be half decent too, else well get nowhere just relying on home form to see us through the season.

AllAboutLFC
1-8-11, 22:53
Man up

Fazman
1-8-11, 22:54
I think any genuine liverpool fan would be slightly worried/apprehensive before the sunderland game.

As i've stated in previous threads, we do need 2 more Quality/World Class defenders, as we WILL get spanked or picked apart by the bigger teams if we don't strenghen our back four.

Also losing and drawing to lesser teams last season at Home and Away cost us dearly a Top 4 Spot. So after struggling and making bad mistakes against a non top ten Norway team, doesn't bode well when we start playing premier teams this season outside the top ten that are clearly better apponents that the norwegian outfit by far.

We have to challenge and hopefully make a Top 4 spot a realistic target this season with the cash and players we have, but we won't if we play badly against the lesser teams like last season. And if we buy average players...

naturalskill
1-8-11, 22:57
I think the boss is doing a lot of work trying to work out formations with new midfielders, trying out squad players in defense(for the previous friendlies) and working out an attack without luis. All of that without stevie or lucas as well. It's a tough job but I feel it will come good for the season ahead. There will also be new players coming in before the end of august too. IMO a top four finish is what we all really want this year.

repped

LiE
1-8-11, 22:58
I'm not worried much. I think the manager and the players will know they'll need to step it up. In a pre-season friendly they are obviously not going to go into 50-50 tackles, pressing like a pitbull and risking a season-threatening injury. They are not sprinting at 110% speed because they don't need to.

What they need to do is adapt to each other and different formaations, work on their fitness, sharpness and they are doing that fairly well.

Defense is a bit of a worry, but I think with Johnson and Agger getting up to speed we'll be sorted in that department too come Sunderland.

prredhouse
1-8-11, 23:00
I'm not worried much. I think the manager and the players will know they'll need to step it up. In a pre-season friendly they are obviously not going to go into 50-50 tackles, pressing like a pitbull and risking a season-threatening injury. They are not sprinting at 110% speed because they don't need to.

What they need to do is adapt to each other and different formaations, work on their fitness, sharpness and they are doing that fairly well.

Defense is a bit of a worry, but I think with Johnson and Agger getting up to speed we'll be sorted in that department too come Sunderland.

Spot on! Johnson was tonight in my opinion sluggish. I feel the boss et al will come good on Glenn.

smokintony
1-8-11, 23:01
This is sort of reminding me of this time last season, some worried others calling them knee jerkers

MrSirJames
1-8-11, 23:01
Ofcourse we are all somewhat worried.
We're missing our skipper and our Suarez however, and they will make a difference.

I think these games show the need for defence... as our attack CAN work. You have to remember Major play makers, Downing and Adam havnt played to many games with us yet, lets hope they can adapt with the team quickly. :)
:scarf:scarf:scarf:scarf

RedInferno74
1-8-11, 23:06
Defense is a bit worrying, in particular Johnson and Carra.
None of them were good tonight, but midfield isn't without "blame" either...

They do need to show something a hell of a lot better this weekend if they're going to start against Sunderland.

Getting Lucas back will work wonders, but right now, Kelly/Flannagan and Skrtl would perhaps be a better option back there until Glen and Jamie get back in proper form.

LiE
1-8-11, 23:08
This is sort of reminding me of this time last season, some worried others calling them knee jerkers

All the usual pre-season-panic threads keep coming up, like "Carragher needs to retire", "Gerrard is finished", "Pacheco needs to start", etc. Can't wait for the season to begin.

Liverdinner
1-8-11, 23:13
Mostly worried about our total non-style. Lots of crossing but no inventiveness or drive.

But Downing is an improvement so surely we have improved.

SerRenely
1-8-11, 23:16
Comparing the way Man Utd played against Barca we looked dire. We are not match sharp at all.

gedzredz
1-8-11, 23:20
I for one am a tad worried, we don't look like a team 12 days away from a new season. Our players look unfit and our play is completely disjointed.

sammithecat
1-8-11, 23:50
I honestly believe people are over reacting with today's performance, there were many factors to consider when explaining our first half performance and overall result.

Firstly, for me, the three in the middle - Spearing / Adam / Henderson looked lost in the first half, not because they do not have ability, they do, they all bring different things to our team but they simply havent played enough competitive games together as a midfield three and as a result, split second decisons like who to go forward and who to sit, what opponents to mark/track/pass on, when and where to support each other when one is in possession. These sound like trivial things but to dominate the midfield in any game (against any opposition) you have to have an understanding and at the moment, that understanding is simply not there. However, Kenny believes that his midfield (whatever combination that may be when all are fit) will develop that understanding.

Secondly, Downing - what side to play him on to get the best from him, start him on the left, so he can get round the back and whip balls in (second half cross - on another day, Andy's header goes in), start him on the right so he can cut in and use his left to create closer to goal or shoot or finally switch him throughout the game, once weaknesses in opposition have been identified and to give both full backs something different to defend against. We were all crying out for a winger, we have been for years, and Downing is just that, the traditional winger we needed to stretch the play, give us another attacking dimension, create gaps in their defence, act as our outlet ball. We have seen him perform consistently for Villa for a few seasons and expect him to just slot in and perform immediately like that for us. It doesnt happen like that, not in two games, we have seen glimpses so far and in time we will see why he was the man for Kenny.

Defensively is one area I still have concerns with but during today's game, Johnson played like he hadnt kicked a football in a competitive match for 2 months and so will get better when his touch and match fitness improves (even though I have long term issues with his overall defending). The same applies for Agger, he was better, two good goals but his positional awareness and ability reading the game will improve with games. My concerns are the left back position (Enrique or Pereira are fine for me) and cover for Agger's injury (whenever it happens), Skrtel can do a job but I feel one more CB is required and Cahill or Dann would be fine. Get these in and the defence is looking solid but there is still time in the window and we obviously need to get rid of some players first to make future transfers happen but there is still time.

Dirk's touch was shocking for his high standards but this is pre-season, a player loses that feel and touch if they dont play for a extended period of time and when he was pressurised in a match situation, and needed that reliable first touch, it wasnt quite there but it will return soon.

Carroll - This is simple - he is missing his strike partner, the most exciting player in the Premiership, when Luis returns, defenders have a second major problem. Today's long driven or lofted balls for Carroll to fight for, will not be so frequent when he partners Suarez, as Luis' intelligence and work rate will offer another option for our midfield. However, when we are forced to hit it long to Andy, Luis will be running off him, anticipated the flicks on and touch downs and the partnership will grow and become potent and a constant threat.

This is all based on todays's game and I'm not a bias red, I am a realistic red who believes that in time we will all be sat celebrating many Liverpool victories, wondering what all the pre-season angst was all about.

Wishing Stevie a speedy recovery from his infection.

In Kenny we trust

:scarf

18ANDCOUNTING
1-8-11, 23:55

What a waste of membership .

18ANDCOUNTING
1-8-11, 23:57
I honestly believe people are over reacting with today's performance, there were many factors to consider when explaining our first half performance and overall result.

Firstly, for me, the three in the middle - Spearing / Adam / Henderson looked lost in the first half, not because they do not have ability, they do, they all bring different things to our team but they simply havent played enough competitive games together as a midfield three and as a result, split second decisons like who to go forward and who to sit, what opponents to mark/track/pass on, when and where to support each other when one is in possession. These sound like trivial things but to dominate the midfield in any game (against any opposition) you have to have an understanding and at the moment, that understanding is simply not there. However, Kenny believes that his midfield (whatever combination that may be when all are fit) will develop that understanding.

Secondly, Downing - what side to play him on to get the best from him, start him on the left, so he can get round the back and whip balls in (second half cross - on another day, Andy's header goes in), start him on the right so he can cut in and use his left to create closer to goal or shoot or finally switch him throughout the game, once weaknesses in opposition have been identified and to give both full backs something different to defend against. We were all crying out for a winger, we have been for years, and Downing is just that, the traditional winger we needed to stretch the play, give us another attacking dimension, create gaps in their defence, act as our outlet ball. We have seen him perform consistently for Villa for a few seasons and expect him to just slot in and perform immediately like that for us. It doesnt happen like that, not in two games, we have seen glimpses so far and in time we will see why he was the man for Kenny.

Defensively is one area I still have concerns with but during today's game, Johnson played like he hadnt kicked a football in a competitive match for 2 months and so will get better when his touch and match fitness improves (even though I have long term issues with his overall defending). The same applies for Agger, he was better, two good goals but his positional awareness and ability reading the game will improve with games. My concerns are the left back position (Enrique or Pereira are fine for me) and cover for Agger's injury (whenever it happens), Skrtel can do a job but I feel one more CB is required and Cahill or Dann would be fine. Get these in and the defence is looking solid but there is still time in the window and we obviously need to get rid of some players first to make future transfers happen but there is still time.

Dirk's touch was shocking for his high standards but this is pre-season, a player loses that feel and touch if they dont play for a extended period of time and when he was pressurised in a match situation, and needed that reliable first touch, it wasnt quite there but it will return soon.

Carroll - This is simple - he is missing his strike partner, the most exciting player in the Premiership, when Luis returns, defenders have a second major problem. Today's long driven or lofted balls for Carroll to fight for, will not be so frequent when he partners Suarez, as Luis' intelligence and work rate will offer another option for our midfield. However, when we are forced to hit it long to Andy, Luis will be running off him, anticipated the flicks on and touch downs and the partnership will grow and become potent and a constant threat.

This is all based on todays's game and I'm not a bias red, I am a realistic red who believes that in time we will all be sat celebrating many Liverpool victories, wondering what all the pre-season angst was all about.

In Kenny we trust

Great post my friend . Have a rep on me .

naturalskill
1-8-11, 23:58

In Kenny we trust

great post:)

Kloppette
2-8-11, 00:14

In Kenny we trust

I agree

Its deffo going to take a while for our midfield to gel although there were signs today but it wasn't fully coherent. We can get by until then as long as we can utilise other areas and defend well.

I think we can switch Downing during the game, it always puts full backs off their game. He seems to be able to do both and there are advantages to either.

Carroll up there on his own doesn't work so well, he needs to play off people as he isn't the sort of player that can do it on his own. It doesn't work for our overall play either, Kuyt just didn't link well with him at all but Kuyt was poor tonight.

Hopefully we will be looking better against Valencia and then its the real deal, I hope we will be ready.

Cwmbran Red
2-8-11, 00:25
No Gerrard. No Lucas. No Suarez. No Meireles. No Skrtel. Johnson's just returned. Reina's just returned. Agger's just returned.

If the above players were all playing today, and we were to end up putting in a similar performance, then yeah I would be a little bit worried. But I think that some people are overreacting. Remember Mainz 5-0 Liverpool? That result took place before a season that saw us finish in the top 4 and a trip to Athens.

Luis07LP
2-8-11, 00:26

No

naturalskill
2-8-11, 00:27
I agree

Its deffo going to take a while for our midfield to gel although there were signs today but it wasn't fully coherent. We can get by until then as long as we can utilise other areas and defend well.

I think we can switch Downing during the game, it always puts full backs off their game. He seems to be able to do both and there are advantages to either.

Carroll up there on his own doesn't work so well, he needs to play off people as he isn't the sort of player that can do it on his own. It doesn't work for our overall play either, Kuyt just didn't link well with him at all but Kuyt was poor tonight.

Hopefully we will be looking better against Valencia and then its the real deal, I hope we will be ready.

agree regarding Downing

but truth is Big Andy hasn't really linked well with Luis too...atleast not YET...I think it will take time for the whole thing to gel although Kenny did get a quick response when he took over so here's hoping we click against Sunderland

Heighway501
2-8-11, 00:27
No whats embarrassing is some people's over reaction in here. It's all about fitness no matter what. Sure we would rather win all our games destroying teams etc but in reality it wont happen.

The overreaction, was, to be fair, expected.

Regarding the part in bold, I personally think it's about a good deal more than just fitness. Game fitness is certainly critical--no arguing with that.

It's also about cohesion--especially when integrating new signings into the side. And it's still about assessing how players are adapting to the style, formation, and role.

It's been pretty grim at times. The leaky defense has been a bit troubling, and by that I mean more than the back four. Perhaps "the porous team defending" would be more accurate.

But the negatives associated with this preseason are nowhere near as troubling to me as the events following our 2nd place finish in 08-09. I was so excited at the end of that season. Then we lose Xabi, replace him with a player that couldn't play due to injury, fail to buy a proper backup forward, and then go on to play preseason matches where, at times, many players didn't look to be trying. That was a massive bummer. :(

There remain issues to be sorted out before the season, but also plenty of reasons for optimism.

-FidelCastro-
2-8-11, 00:28
I'm confused as to what will happen with the midfield, we have not signed any

midfield players better than Lucas and Gerrard so the normal maths would be

that they are the ones that start, if we play 4-2-3-1 then Suarez surely starts

behind Carroll or Kuyt and if its 4-4-2 then its Downing and Kuyt on the wings.

Having said that, I really (really) rate Henderson and Adam is clearly a good

player, then there is Meireles and Aquilani to consider (as far as im

concerned Aquilani should start behind Suarez) but its not up to us. Mabye

we will see Henderson right wing or Adam left, with Downing right. Just

watched the highlights from the 4-1 United game and i'm baffled as to how

much we have gone through as a club and think sometimes that we do

ourselves an injustice with regards to having options, Aquilani, Meireles,

Henderson, Kuyt, Cole (sort of) are great to have on the bench. I do

apologise for how obvious this post is.

Goalrush09
2-8-11, 02:04

In Kenny we trust

Great post!!

Welcome to the boards!!!

prredhouse
2-8-11, 02:07
I think we will see whats what when the first game of the season starts and i think we see a home win 2-0 Carroll and Kuyt. Defence will be a rock.

JerseyPoolFan
2-8-11, 02:41
I can say one positive is we haven't scored from a
Corner in ages and scored on 3 tonight. A definite positive. I thought the midfield looked a little weak but our 3 best CMs were all out (gerrard Lucas merieles). I don't think spearing Adam is a long term CM pairing

smokintony
14-8-11, 12:04
I think we will see whats what when the first game of the season starts and i think we see a home win 2-0 Carroll and Kuyt. Defence will be a rock.

We now know whats what, but lets wait till the second game of season though, bring on the Arsenal

smokintony
12-3-12, 12:59
OK There can be no argument now:FP:

Lucasherano
12-3-12, 13:06
Simply:

Yes

smokintony
12-3-12, 13:12
I would like to know how much neg rep they would have got for such a genuine justified concern for the club, Threads like this should serve as a warning to some here who seem hell bent on ridiculing others opinions that in time are proven to have a lot of justification

ForzaSuarez
12-3-12, 14:52
I was right then.

SlackeryShamone
12-3-12, 15:01
I think the post stating that the OP can predict the future is spot on.

Scrams
12-3-12, 15:04
The last good pre season we had, was when we came 2nd. Maybe they're more important than we believe.

NYscouser
12-3-12, 15:04
Yeh but we need our away form to be half decent too, else well get nowhere just relying on home form to see us through the season.

Lol.

RogerHuntelaar
12-3-12, 15:05
The last good pre season we had, was when we came 2nd. Maybe they're more important than we believe.

A good pre-season is very important, the results of the pre-season matches aren't always very relevant, though.

NYscouser
12-3-12, 15:05
What a waste of membership .

Can this poster be banned now? Considering the op was 100% correct to voice his concerns that were justified.

RedInferno74
12-3-12, 16:14
Can this poster be banned now? Considering the op was 100% correct to voice his concerns that were justified.

So you're saying that being wrong is enough to get yourself banned? A lot of people here would be in deep **** then.

NYscouser
12-3-12, 16:16
So you're saying that being wrong is enough to get yourself banned? A lot of people here would be in deep **** then.

No, But making such a disrespectful post as "What a waste of membership." to a member who was voicing his concerns is disgusting.

Raphaelthe2nd
12-3-12, 16:26
I was right then.

About what? That we're not the same team without Lucas? Oh sorry you didn't make that point in pre-season did you, oh wait hang on, erm, oh yes, that was me

-SP7-
12-3-12, 16:32
OP was somewhat accurate in the end. Especially about Adam.

Liverpoolforme
12-3-12, 17:18
OK There can be no argument now:FP:

I can't remember seeing you post a positive thing lately.

smokintony
12-3-12, 17:22
I can't remember seeing you post a positive thing lately.

I did suggest in the thread above the one you quoted that we shouldn't take our first games result to heart and bring on other following games, I was wrong