PDA

View Full Version : Ranfurly Shield

Pages : [1] 2

herbeer
4-8-11, 21:00
In NZ rugby they have a great concept called the Ranfurly Shield. It's a challenge system, so if the holder loses then the challenger takes the shield. Simple, but very cool. It makes big games out of what may otherwise have been small games, and gives small clubs the chance to write their own history (The equivalent of Swansea holding it for 6 weeks and keeping it over summer)

Reckon it would work in England. The holder at the end of the year could play off with the LC winner for a Europa place. Anyway I know it will never happen, so I decided to institute a "fantasy" one. I drew the initial holder which was Newcastle.

I will keep all posted with the progress.

The rules are as follows:
-All competitive games (home and away) against other PL teams are challenges (incl FA Cup, League Cup and Charity Shield)
-Games against lower division or European teams are NOT challenges
-If the challenger wins the game (including on pens) they get the shield
-If the Defender wins or draws, they retain it.
-If the shield holder at the end of the season is relegated, they relinquish the shield to the winner of the Championship who are one of the promoted teams to take their place

Current Shield Details:
Holder: Arsenal
Successful defences: 2
Next challenge: Liverpool (a)

Previous holders:
Season 5 - 2015/16: (most recent at top)
Bournemouth (Successful defences 1)
WBA (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (3,3,3)
Arsenal (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (6,5,21)
Leicester (Successful defences 5)
West Ham (Successful defences 0)

Season 4 - 2014/2015 : (most recent at top)
Arsenal (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (5,2,16) (End of season holders 2014/15)
W.B.A (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (2,0,0)
Chelsea (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (6,12,24)
Everton (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (4,1,8)
Crystal Palace (Successful defences 0)
Southampton (Successful defences 2)
Arsenal (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (4,3,14)
Newcastle (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (3,0,12)
Chelsea (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (5,10,12)

Season 3 - 2013/2014 : (most recent at top)
Swansea (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (3,3,6) End of season holders
Sunderland (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (2,3,4)
Chelsea (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (4,1,2)
Stoke (Successful defences 4)
Arsenal (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (3,1,11)
Liverpool (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (3,1,5)
Arsenal (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (2,3,10)
Aston Villa (Successful defences 0)
Sunderland (Successful defences 1)
Everton (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (3,0,7)
Swansea (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (2,2,3)
Newcastle (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (2,3,12)
Chelsea (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (3,0,1)
Arsenal (Successful defences 7)

Season 2 - 2012/2013 : (most recent at top)
Tottenham (Successful defences 7) End of season holders
Man City (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (2,1,10)
Chelsea (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (2,1,1)
Man United (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (3,19,27)
Man City (Successful defences 9)
Fulham (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (3,1,1)
W.B.A. (Successful defences 0)

Season 1 - 2011/2012 : (most recent at top)
Everton (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (2,5,7) End of season holders
Fulham (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (2,0,0)
Wigan (Successful defences: 1)
Man United (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (2,7,8)
Liverpool (Tenures, Successful defences this time, total): (2,2,4)
Man U (Successful defences: 1)
Bolton (No successful defences)
Everton (Successful defences: 2)
Swansea (Successful defences: 1)
Fulham (No successful defences)
Liverpool (Successful defences: 2)
Chelsea (No successful defences)
Blackburn (Successful defences: 1)
Newcastle Utd (Successful defences: 9)

SomeKloppo
4-8-11, 21:35
Interesting.

Benny-Noons-Ghost
4-8-11, 21:57
Should be a good thing to follow the progress of :) Look forward to the whole of this thread - just hope it doesn't fall apart in 3 weeks like most threads like this do :D

Matt-CM
4-8-11, 22:01
I will keep all posted with the progress of the Ranfurly shield. If you know a bit about the holder feel free to post some thoughts in here. Newcastle anyone?

Great idea, nice to see a new idea for new season :)

Fowi
4-8-11, 22:02
I don't get it. Are we supposed to do something?

GottaWearShades
4-8-11, 22:08
Good idea. Will the Herbeer Shield only be up for grabs when the holder is playing at home?

That is how the Ranfurly Shield traditionally works although I think the holders now sometimes take it on the road against lower division teams.

gedzredz
4-8-11, 22:11
I feel stupid.

I've read the OP twice and I haven't the faintest idea what the concept is.

18ANDCOUNTING
4-8-11, 22:15
A bit like ' to be the man you have to beat the man ' . Something my brothers and I use in games against each other . Your the ' man ' unless beaten . Bragging rights is a powerful tool . love it .

NZerRedder
4-8-11, 22:19
The Ranfurly Shield is only challenged for seven times in a season. Generally what happens is the holder (normally a 1st division side - or premier team in the case of the PL) will defend the Shield three times in the pre-season against teams from the Lower leagues. In these instances the shield is defended away from home.

In the season proper the shield will be defended 4 times at the holders home ground against top sides. Should a challenger win the shield they will be required to defend it until seven shield matches have been completed (there is only a maximum of seven challenges in one year regardless of how many times it changes hands).

The fixtures are set at the start of the year based on who the holder is at the time, but may change during the year if someone successfully challenges for it.

If you are lucky enough to win the shield on the seventh challenge, then you hold it for the summer.

Its fair to say the shield invokes the most passion in NZ rugby out of all the trophies available - primarily because of its history, but also because (theoretically) on any given day any team can win it as it is solely a one off winner takes all game.

Jay-Cutlers-Thumb
4-8-11, 22:22

Look in the mirror and say 'Ranfurly Shield' three times. It should appear in front of you.

Good thread by the way.

Benny-Noons-Ghost
4-8-11, 22:31
I feel stupid.

I've read the OP twice and I haven't the faintest idea what the concept is.

Basically it's like a 'championship belt'.

The OP has chosen Newcastle be the 'holders'. If Arsenal beat them, then Arsenal become the 'holders', and we will challenge them for it in week two. If we win then we become the holders. If we lose or draw, then Arsenal stay holders.

This will keep happening all season, until the final game of the season, when we will have a team who hold it until the following season.

Just a different concept.

Oakryrch
4-8-11, 22:33
Sounds like quite an interesting concept.

It sounds like something that could not only be a welcome distraction for the smaller sides, but also give them an added impetus to win those games, should they be struggling at the bottom of the table or be knocked out of the cup competitons with nothing else to play for.

Hope this thread gets bumped from time to time.

Benny-Noons-Ghost
4-8-11, 22:34
Sounds like quite an interesting concept.

It sounds like something that could not only be a welcome distraction for the smaller sides, but also give them added impetus to win those games should they be struggling at the bottom of the table, or have been knocked out of cup competitons with nothing else to play for.

Hope this thread gets bumped regularly.

Even if the OP isn't around to do it, I think I'll try to keep it bumped as regularly as I can, it's something I'd be interested to keep an eye on aswell :)

Oakryrch
4-8-11, 22:36
Even if the OP isn't around to do it, I think I'll try to keep it bumped as regularly as I can, it's something I'd be interested to keep an eye on aswell :)

Good man. :)

belgica
4-8-11, 22:38
The challenge is only up for grabs at the holders home games, you can not loose it at away games. What are you going to do with drawn games as they happen more often than in rugby?

Benny-Noons-Ghost
4-8-11, 22:41
The challenge is only up for grabs at the holders home games, you can not loose it at away games. What are you going to do with drawn games as they happen more often than in rugby?

I don't think the OP is going to follow the exact rules of the Ranfurly Shield.

This is my interpretation of what he's gonna do:

Basically it's like a 'championship belt'.

The OP has chosen Newcastle be the 'holders'. If Arsenal beat them, then Arsenal become the 'holders', and we will challenge them for it in week two. If we win then we become the holders. If we lose or draw, then Arsenal stay holders.

This will keep happening all season, until the final game of the season, when we will have a team who hold it until the following season.

Just a different concept.

I could be wrong though.

Oakryrch
4-8-11, 22:41

Penalty shootouts, maybe?

EDIT: Or the holders could still retain the trophy until the next fixture.

MarsPirate
4-8-11, 22:42
i understand it if we do it the OP way as it seems pretty easy to do. you could even start off with it being man u and then who ever has this trophy at the end of the season means they are the unofficial premier league champions, a bit like the Unofficial Football World Championships.

however as Dave1234 has posted you only play for it 7 times a season. which then gets a bit complicated.

GordonBennett
4-8-11, 22:43
In NZ rugby they have a great concept called the Ranfurly Shield. It's a challenge system, so if the holder loses then the challenger takes the shield. Simple, but vey cool. It makes big games out of what may otherwise have been small games, and gives small clubs the chance to write their own history (The equivalent of Swansea holding it for 6 weeks and keping it over summer)

Reckon it would work in England. The holder at the end of the year could play off with the LC winner for a Europa place. Anyway I know it will never happen, so I decided to institute a "fantasy" one I drew the initial holder which is Newcastle. First challenge is Newcastle v Arsenal. If Arsenal win they will defend the hield against Liverpool in the 2nd round of fixtures.

I will keep all posted with the progress of the Ranfurly shield. If you know a bit about the holder feel free to post some thoughts in here. Newcastle anyone?

So is this amongst NPC teams? Big rugby fan by the way :D

I'm an Irishman and besides us boys I want the men from Ch-Ch to win the RWC this year!

seddo87
4-8-11, 22:43
It's a pretty cool concept. It's like the unofficial World Cup thing where Japan are the current holders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_winners_of_Unofficial_Football_World_Champ ionships

Hopefully we'll be the holders all season after beating Arsenal :D.

tmassin47
4-8-11, 22:47
Imagine betting on this as one big 38 game accumulator that spans the entire season, starting with Arsenal v. Newcastle and then betting on the route the shield will take to the end of the season.

NZerRedder
4-8-11, 23:52
Its actually a really good concept and attracts a lot more interest here in NZ than probably the NPC. It is the one trophy everybody wants their union to hold.

If for example you were to take Newcastle as the current holders, then this year the challenges may have gone something like this:

Away - Darlington 0-2 (Successful defence)
Away - Leeds United 2-3 (Successful defence)
Home - Arsenal
Home - Fulham
Home - Blackburn
Home - Spurs
Home - Wigan

If say Fulham win it from Newcastle, they would then be required to defend the shield 3 times this season, and could be as such:
Home - Blackburn
Home - Spurs
Home - Wigan

Although Fulham has other home matches scheduled against different opponents prior to for instance the Wigan match, because Wigan were already scheduled to compete for the Shield they are then given priority to challenge against the new holders. If Wigan had've already played Fulham at Fulham, then they would not get the opportunity to challenge this year and a different challenger would be selected.

It sounds complicated but is actually pretty easy once you get into it. The shield must be won - the only time a challenge takes place away from home is during pre-season when playing lower league teams. If a challenger draws the match, the holder retains the shield. If nothing else it would encourage away teams to attack a lot more when challenging for the shield away from home.

herbeer
5-8-11, 01:44
Glad some of you think its interesting, thought it was just me...
This one will work a little differently to the NZ rugby one.
1. The shield will be on the line every competitive game against another EPL team, ie including FA cup and League cup games. Home and away. That way it will move around more, which is more interesting
2. It will only be played for by EPL teams. The reason for this is I plan to watch some of the challenges as a way of getting some exposure to teams other than Liverpool. If the shield went down a division or 2 (which would be cool) I couldn't watch it. No offense taken if anyone wants to set up a rival shield which can travel the divisions (or Europe)
3. I considered awarding it to Man U as last years champions but rejected the idea. Congratulations Newcastle (I did draw it though, did not just choose them)
I am not a massive rugby fan but have always thought the concept cool. Teams have gone from 2000 crowds to 20000 having won the shield for the first time in 20 years etc.

4thKit
5-8-11, 09:44
An interesting idea,

Though, " We held the Ranfurly Shield in week 14, for 3 weeks in 2011" Doesnt hold the same magnificence as, " We were the 2011 premier league champions", for me.

I just feel it would lose its value very quickly the more it was passed around, and people would end up losing interest.

Kind of like that person you have been chasing for a date, and then finding out they have a long history of other partners. The more partners they have, the less interest you have in them, until eventually they have been around so much, that you'd end up being ashamed to be with them.

herbeer
9-8-11, 19:38
Am interested if anyone is going to the game or planning to watch it, and if so what connection you have with Newcastle/Arsenal and your prediction?

The upcoming challenges look like this:

Next 2 for Newcastle if they defend the shield:
Sunderland (a), Fulham (h)

Next 2 for Newcastle if they retain the shield:
Liverpool (h), Man U (a)

herbeer
12-8-11, 19:47
Winger Hatem Ben Arfa is Newcastle boss Alan Pardew's only injury absentee for their opening Barclays Premier League clash with Arsenal.

The Frenchman is around five to six weeks away from a return to action after damaging his left ankle - the leg in which he suffered a double fracture last season - during a pre-season friendly against Sporting Kansas City.

Mike Williamson (broken arm) and Danny Guthrie and Shane Ferguson (both ankle) are fit, but Pardew has revealed Ferguson will not start as a direct replacement for Liverpool-bound left-back Jose Enrique after only just returning to full training, while transfer-listed Joey Barton must assure the manager of his commitment if he is to be selected.

Dan Gosling is desperate to make up for lost time as he prepares to launch his Newcastle career in earnest against Arsenal tomorrow evening.

The 21-year-old midfielder, who joined the club from Everton last summer, has made just one brief appearance to date - as a late substitute in the 1-1 derby draw at Sunderland in January - as a result of the knee injury with which he arrived.

But having recovered from the setback which followed his involvement at the Stadium of Light and safely negotiated pre-season, he is finally ready to make an impact at St James' Park after a gruelling fight for fitness.

Gosling admitted: "It was really hard for me. Some of the sessions were tough and there were some dark days where I didn't think I could do it, but I got through it.

"The physios were really good with me, all the other lads were good as well and I had my family encouraging me all the time.

"It was tough, but I managed to come through it and I'm just glad it's all behind me now.

"I got a couple of minutes at Sunderland - and we conceded as well, so it wasn't a memorable couple of minutes.

"But I am looking forward to the season and hopefully I can have a bigger impact this year.''

Cesc Fabregas has been omitted from Arsenal's squad while Samir Nasri faces a fitness test.

Fabregas has been left out due to a lack of match fitness, according to manager Arsene Wenger, while Nasri is suffering from an illness and will be monitored.

Robin van Persie (knee) and Kieran Gibbs (thigh) face fitness tests today but Theo Walcott and Thomas Vermaelen return to the squad. Jack Wilshere (ankle) and Abou Diaby (ankle) are definitely out.

Fabregas has been agitating for a move to Barcelona, the club he left as a 16-year-old in 2003, for the past two summers but Nasri's desire to leave emerged far more recently.

The prospect of losing arguably his two best players must be daunting for Wenger, but the 61-year-old insists replacements can be found if necessary.

"We are all replaceable. All the cemeteries are full of replaceable people,'' he said.

"But you do not want to lose big players, we fight to have big players so you do not want to lose them.

"I'm not disappointed in Cesc's behaviour. My personal feelings are not important. I take nothing personally.

"I have not been disappointed by Cesc's attitude and not by Samir's attitude. They have both been professional.

"The transfer speculation is disruptive but not an excuse. We have to deal with that, it is part of our job. People come in and out.

"We have had speculation every year. I believe it is part of our job and we have to deal with that.''

Wenger denied losing the duo would mean Arsenal are no longer a big club.

"Manchester United let (Cristiano) Ronaldo go, do you think they are not a big club?''

herbeer
14-8-11, 09:42
The inaugural successful defence is made by Newcastle given the drawn result, well in. So no challenge for Liverpool, but an interesting Tyne/Weir derby challenge next week.

I watched parts of the game, Newcastle didn't seem too troubled other than by Joey B's antics. Looked a bit toothless up front, they may need to find goals next week from somewhere...
Review of the game is as follows:

Gervinho off as Gunners are held

The Ivory Coast international was dismissed with 14 minutes remaining of the Premier League encounter after lashing out at the midfielder when he confronted him over what he believed was a dive inside the home penalty area.

Gervinho's premature departure capped a disappointing evening on Tyneside for the Gunners as they were unable to break down a Magpies side which rarely looked like taking all three points, but was in no mood to surrender the one with which they started.

Theo Walcott might have won it within three minutes of his introduction as a 61st-minute substitute, but goalkeeper Tim Krul denied him with one of the few genuine saves he was called upon to make.

Transfer-listed Barton only started the game after assuring manager Alan Pardew that he was fully committed to the cause, but he turned in a fine individual display in a team performance which was solid rather than inspired.

But the home fans among a crowd of 46,894 left reasonably satisfied, unlike their travelling counterparts, who repeatedly implored Arsene Wenger to "spend some money'' after a toothless start to the new campaign.

The corresponding fixture last season demonstrated the best and the worst of both teams as the Gunners raced into a 4-0 lead by half-time, only to succumb to a stunning fightback to allow the Magpies to snatch a point.

In that respect, Pardew will have been delighted to see his side reach the break with their clean sheet intact, although perhaps not with the pattern of play which had seen the visitors dominate.

Even without Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri in the starting line-up as speculation mounted over their futures at the Emirates Stadium, Arsenal moved the ball confidently with Andrey Arshavin and Tomas Rosicky particularly prominent.

Gervinho, one of the men close to the top of the list of strikers Pardew tried to sign during the summer - the vacancy at St James' Park remains unfilled - caused problems for makeshift left-back Ryan Taylor as he repeatedly pulled to a wide right position.

However, although he linked up with Robin van Persie on numerous occasions, Wenger's men were unable to break down a defence well-marshalled by new skipper Fabricio Coloccini and Steven Taylor to the extent that keeper Krul, preferred to Steve Harper and Fraser Forster, did not have a single save of note to make during the first 45 minutes.

Rosicky steered an early shot wide of the Dutchman's far post, but despite all the pressure, his only anxious moment came 14 minutes before the break when he spilled the Czech Republic international's corner under Laurent Koscielny's challenge and Danny Simpson had to clear off the line.

In fairness, opposite number Wojciech Szczesny was similarly under-employed as strikers Shola Ameobi and Demba Ba saw too little of the ball to cause any damage.

He got down well to collect Simpson's deflected 17th-minute cross and Jonas Gutierrez smashed a 22nd-minute volley well wide, but the Gunners' goal rarely came under any real threat during the first half.

Pardew changed both personnel and formation after the break when he withdrew Ba and replaced him with another debutant, Gabriel Obertan, who lined up in a five-man midfield behind lone striker Ameobi.

Kieran Gibbs and Rosicky picked up bookings in quick succession as the game restarted at a high tempo, but it was the visitors who came close to breaking the deadlock with 55 minutes gone.

Gutierrez was penalised for a challenge on Rosicky wide on the right and Van Persie sent in a viciously-dipping free-kick which dropped onto the roof of the net with Krul desperately trying to get across.

Yohan Cabaye was unable to make the most of Obertan's back-heeled 61st-minute ball into the box, and Wenger decided to make a change of his own seconds later when he replaced Arshavin with England international Walcott.

The newcomer might have given his side the lead within minutes when he ran onto Aaron Ramsey's through-ball, but he could not beat Krul from close range.

However, the game exploded into controversy with 14 minutes remaining when Barton reacted furiously to what he believed was a dive by Gervinho under Cheick Tiote's challenge inside the box.

The Ivory Coast international lost his cool and slapped Barton in the resulting melee, and referee Peter Walton had little option but to produce a red card.

Newcastle might have snatched victory at the death, only for the impressive Koscielny to deny substitute Peter Lovenkrands a close-range header, but that would have been harsh on the visitors, who were nevertheless booed from the pitch.

herbeer
20-8-11, 01:21
Newcastle make their second defence of the shield Saturday (preview below)

If Newcastle successfully defend, the next 2 challenges will be:
Fulham (h)
QPR (a)

If Sunderland win nthe shield, their first 2 defences will be:
Swansea (a)
Chelsea (h)

Any predictions?

Preview:
Sunderland captain Lee Cattermole has warned his team-mates they cannot expect to reap any derby dividends from Newcastle's off-field problems.

The Magpies will arrive at the Stadium of Light without a specialist left-back in their squad and with their summer-long search for a top-class striker still ongoing.

In addition, skipper Kevin Nolan, who demolished the Black Cats' dreams of derby success last season, and Jose Enrique have followed Andy Carroll through the exit door, while the outspoken Joey Barton's situation remains uncertain.

By contrast, Steve Bruce, armed with a significant proportion of the proceeds from the sales of Darren Bent and Jordan Henderson, has been allowed to invest heavily once again - and has done so to the tune of 10 signings.

However, having played in Sunderland's 5-1 horror show at St James' Park last season and looked on helplessly as they scraped a draw at the death in the return, Cattermole is convinced they can take nothing for granted this time around.

He said: "All their lads are all footballers, it doesn't matter what's going on at the club.

"Sunderland is a much healthier and much more stable club at the minute, but I don't think that really counts for anything when it comes to derby day.

"They have got a squad of players who are all good players and we have got a good team as well and when it kicks off, it's that fast and furious, you maybe need a little bit of luck and you need eight out of the 11 to have good performances, and they will be needing the same.

"It's as simple as that, really. Hopefully with the lads we have brought in and the experience, and the experiences of last season, we will be able to go out and put a better performance in this year.''

Cattermole's view is shared by Bruce, who freely admits his team simply did not handle the derbies well enough last season.

Asked if he was pleased Nolan and Carroll in particular would not be involved this time around, he said: "Yes, of course I am - but they have got players who are going to take their places and Newcastle got a good result last week.

"For all the hype that's built up, at the end of the day it's Sunderland v Newcastle and whoever is on the pitch, there will be a fierce rivalry and some will handle it better than others.

"I honestly hope my team handles the occasion and we get the result we want.''

Bruce will make a late decision on hamstring victim John O'Shea but is otherwise likely to make few changes to the side which drew 1-1 at Liverpool on the opening day of the campaign.

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is hoping for more of the same from derby specialist Shola Ameobi as he targets a first victory over arch-rivals Sunderland.

The 29-year-old striker has six goals to his name against the Black Cats over the years including a double in last season's 5-1 rout at St James' Park.

Ameobi was born in Nigeria but raised on Tyneside and has grown up with the rivalry which exists between the neighbouring clubs and Pardew firmly believes that is at the root of his success in the fixture which matters more than any other to both sets of fans.

He said: "Shola has been here a long time and he has lived in the area.

"Everywhere you go, you are reminded, and Shola has had that for a number of years, so he knows that this is a massive game for the club and he probably gets himself up as high as he would for a cup final, and that bodes well.

"He will start on Saturday, I make no bones about that. He will be in the starting line-up.''

If Ameobi's performance alongside Carroll in last October's demolition job provided the basis for Newcastle's success, it was Nolan who grabbed the headlines with a hat-trick.

Nolan also opened the scoring in the return at the Stadium of Light in January, only for Asamoah Gyan to bundle home an injury-time equaliser to deny the Magpies a double and Pardew victory in his first Wear-Tyne encounter.

However, he has since departed to West Ham under a transfer policy which has once again been criticised by full-back Jose Enrique following his own move to Liverpool and a vacancy exists for a new hero to write himself into Geordie folklore.

Pardew said: "Every time a derby comes along, that vacancy is there for somebody.

"My experience of derbies is that you need to match the ferocity that is on the pitch, but usually the team which is calm and gets the ball down and plays are the victors."

Benny-Noons-Ghost
20-8-11, 23:09
Looks like Newcastle are gonna hold it for a while :fishing

herbeer
21-8-11, 21:27
Great result for the Toon. I thought Gutierrez and Tiote were good, held on a bit in the first half buty then got stronger.
Krul looks an interesting keeper.
Soccernet saw it like this:

Taylor shines for Toon
The full-back, who played for Steve Bruce at Wigan, curled home a superb 62nd-minute free-kick to win a hard-fought contest which the home side dominated for long periods, but failed to take their chances.

Alan Pardew's men, who were denied at the death at the Stadium of Light last season by Asamoah Gyan's last-gasp equaliser, might have won more comfortably had they been awarded a clear first-half penalty.

Black Cats keeper Simon Mignolet had to make good saves from Yohan Cabaye and Jonas Gutierrez, while Tim Krul had to be similarly alert to keep out two Stephane Sessegnon efforts.

However, the home side simply did not make the most of their share of the possession and the bulk of a sell-out crowd of 47,751 left in sombre mood.

Bruce is yet to taste derby victory in three attempts and Sunderland have now won just once on home soil against their neighbours in 31 years.

But there was unbridled joy for Newcastle, who triumphed without a specialist left-back and against the backdrop of seemingly continuous turmoil off the pitch.

Joey Barton spent the opening weekend of the season in the headlines for the wrong reasons, although the controversy was not all of his own doing, and he found himself in the thick of the action once again within 14 minutes of a pulsating derby, although innocently so on this occasion.

Having weathered an early storm which saw them pinned deep inside their own half for long periods, the Magpies won a left-wing corner which Cabaye delivered to the far post.

Shola Ameobi, who went into the game with six derby goals to his name, met the ball with a firm header which Barton helped on towards the top corner.

But as he prepared to celebrate, Sebastian Larsson threw out an arm and blocked the ball, sparking a mass protest from the men in black and white.

Referee Howard Webb consulted his assistant, but then awarded only a corner, much to the horror of the visitors and the relief of their counterparts in red and white.

Having enjoyed a major slice of fortune - Larsson would surely have been sent off had the penalty been awarded - the Black Cats resumed their efforts to atone for their derby no-shows last season.

Benin international Sessegnon was proving a thorn in Newcastle's side and having failed to hit the target on a couple of occasions, forced a fingertip save from Krul with nine minutes gone and a second diving stop eight minutes before the break.

Sunderland were dominating possession and Sessegnon, Jack Colback and Ahmed Elmohamady were seeing plenty of the ball in promising positions.

However, too often the final pass was wayward to allow the visitors off the hook as they defended in committed fashion, but often at full-stretch.

Newcastle continued to look dangerous from set-pieces and Mignolet had to pull off a fine 32nd-minute save to keep out Cabaye's swerving, dipping shot from distance.

Cabaye, Wes Brown and Ryan Taylor were all booked for rash challenges in a fiercely-contested first half, but there was drama deep into injury time when Gyan turned neatly and curled a left-foot shot on to the top of the crossbar.

In a nondescript start to the second half, neither side was able to build up any kind of momentum with Sunderland hunting down the Magpies in possession and the visitors largely adopting a hit and hope policy as they attempted to move the ball forward.

Barton worked his way into a good position with 55 minutes gone, but saw his shot charged down by Anton Ferdinand, and Mignolet had to get down well to palm away Jonas Gutierrez's effort six minutes later.

But Newcastle did take the lead within seconds after Gutierrez had been tripped by Lee Cattermole.

Ryan Taylor curled the resulting free-kick high over the stranded Mignolet and into the top corner to spark delirious celebrations on and off the pitch.

Bruce introduced Craig Gardner and Ji Dong-won for Elmohamady and Kieran Richardson with 19 minutes remaining and time fast running out.

But Sunderland's efforts were looking increasingly laboured with Gyan scuffing a 77th-minute shot wide from close range and Gardner looping a header into Krul's arms three minutes later.

Phil Bardsley was sent off for a second bookable offence in the final minute of normal time to cap a miserable afternoon for his side.

herbeer
26-8-11, 11:52
Hi all,

Next challenge for the mighty Toon is Fulham at St James'.
Geordies had a close call in the Carling Cup midweek, but got a winner through S Ameobi mark 2.
If Newcastle manage to hold off Fulham the next 2 challemnges are as follows:
QPR (a)
A Villa (a)

If Fulham manage to pull it off, next up will be:
Blackburn (h)
Man C (h)
Personally I think Newcastle wilkl be OK, but may be a draw.

Go you black and white beauts...

SmellsLikeCoutinhoSpirit
26-8-11, 12:03
I like this, exporting New Zealand's great concepts. It makes me feel at home. Great idea!

herbeer
26-8-11, 12:06
Thx Josh and welcome to the Boards. As an Otago man, LFC represents the best chance of winning the shild (its been since '53)
How long u been following the reds?

herbeer
28-8-11, 21:11
Leon Best emerged from the Tyneside shadows to prove there is life after Joey Barton as Newcastle maintained their unbeaten start to the Premier League season courtesy of a 2-1 win over Fulham.

• Pardew desperate for more signings

The Republic of Ireland international was asked to stand in for the injured Shola Ameobi and responded with a second-half double to reward manager Alan Pardew for his faith with the club's quest to land a another frontman ongoing.

However, the Magpies were indebted to keeper Tim Krul for three superb second-half saves from Steve Sidwell, Chris Baird and Danny Murphy before he was finally beaten for the first time in the new Barclays Premier League campaign by Clint Dempsey's 88th-minute header.

It was far from a vintage performance by the home side, but just as they did at Sunderland last weekend, they got the job done to bank another precious three points.

After yet another eventful week at St James' Park during which Barton's stand-off with the board came to a head and striker Nile Ranger was arrested, the club's fans voted with their feet, or at least a significant proportion of them did.

There were around 10,000 empty seats inside the stadium as the game kicked off, and while an attendance of 42,684 might be regarded as more than satisfactory at many clubs, the gaps on the terraces reflected the general level of dissatisfaction with the current state of play in the club's summer recruitment drive.

Matters were not helped by the injury to Ameobi which saw Pardew turn once again to Best and Peter Lovenkrands, and as Fulham dominated the early stages with the Magpies unable to compete in the middle of the field, the mounting frustration was almost tangible.

However, for all that the current squad may lack strength in depth, there is little shortage of courage and commitment and the fact that they were able to limit the visitors to a single shot on target, a 12th-minute Pajtim Kasami effort which was easily claimed by Krul, brought some comfort.

Newcastle were disjointed in the middle of the field and it was not until Cheick Tiote, who is gradually shaking off the after-effects of an interrupted pre-season, managed to make his presence felt that the Magpies began to push the Londoners back.

Pardew's side still struggled to create anything of note until the game exploded into life with the half-time whistle fast-approaching.

Winger Jonas Gutierrez forced Mark Schwarzer into his first save of the half with a 44th-minute header, and that was the cue for the home side to make a late push.

Former Magpie Aaron Hughes got in a vital block to deny Best after he had turned smartly inside the box, and Schwarzer had to tip a curling Yohan Cabaye effort over his crossbar.

From the resulting corner, the ball dropped to last weekend's derby hero Ryan Taylor, and his shot from 20 yards flew inches past the far post with the Fulham keeper stranded.

Newcastle returned with their momentum intact and forced their way in front within three minutes of the restart.

Schwarzer could only palm Cabaye's shot onto the crossbar after it had bounced nastily in front of him and Best when in the right place at the right time to tap home.

The lead might have been short-lived had Krul not been at his best with 56 minutes gone.

Damien Duff and Baird exchanged passes on the right before the winger sent in a cross which Steve Sidwell headed powerfully towards goal, only for the Dutchman to turn his effort onto the bar and enjoy better fortune than his opposite number as the ball went out for a corner.

Dempsey fired just wide from a tight angle and Duff blasted into the side netting with Fulham searching desperately for a way back into the game.

However, their hopes were dashed with 66 minutes gone when substitute Demba Ba controlled Gabriel Obertan's inviting pass and cross for Best to turn smartly inside the area and fire past Schwarzer.

Krul pulled off fine saves to deny first Baird and then Murphy as the Magpies fought stubbornly to protect their clean sheet.

But they found themselves under pressure once again as they conceded a series of late free-kicks, and their defences were finally pierced from one of them with two minutes remaining when Dempsey headed him from Murphy's cross.

Schwarzer tipped an injury-time piledriver from Ba onto the woodwork, but there was no way back for his side.

herbeer
12-9-11, 09:11
Hi all, next challenge up for the Toon is away to QPR.
My thoughts:
-Tough challenge, I think the shield could be on the move... [just when I was starting to feel a connection with the black and whites]
-Can Barton help his new club wrestle some (virtual) silverware off his old?
-Geordie fans are loving there start to the season, a 3 nil win would send them third
-But are still snakey about Mike Ashley keeping THAT 35m quid in his pocket
-QPR feel-good factor is running hot with the arival of Barton, SWP and Luke Young. The next few games are big for the R's

Next couple of challenges if Newcastle successfully defend are:
A Villa (a)
Blackburn (h)

If QPR manage to pull it off, next up will be:
Wolves (a)
A Villa (h)

herbeer
14-9-11, 02:42
May have been a bit lucky by the sounds, but the Geordie machine rolls on...

Benny-Noons-Ghost
14-9-11, 10:32
May have been a bit lucky by the sounds, but the Geordie machine rolls on...

Would be pretty funny if Newcastle go the season unbeaten :D

herbeer
16-9-11, 12:32
Well for the second time running I'm predicting the shield will move. Villa have started well, are good at home, and Newcastle usually brittle away, though Pardew seems to have hardened them up.

Performers for Newcastle so far this season include:
Krul - good shotstopper, likely to keep Harper out
Coloccini - More mature, well regarded by home fans, seems much less prone to the lapses we previously saw.
Cabaye - has settled well from Lille, skillful
Obertan - seems to have time, and looks relatively dangerous.

The main issue is goals, they have been getting by so far but are lacking a threat.
Roll on Sarturday...

herbeer
17-9-11, 21:48
Newcastle roll on. 1-1 away to Villa, 5 successful defences. Though Bent could have won it, lots of possession and shots for the Geordies, and another goal for Best. Next up is Blackburn, mighty Arsenal-killers, at SJP

herbeer
23-9-11, 21:03
Back to SJP for the Geordies, with the visit of Blackburn. Newcastle will be heavily favoured to retain the shield.

They also had a good win at Nottingham Forest in the CC ine the week. (It was not a challenge, only games against PL teams are challenges)

Some features of the next game:
-Ben Arfa, much loved by the fans is likely to be back
-Leon Best has 9 goals in his last 12 PL starts
-A few others in good form too, notably Cabye
-Blackburn won't be able to wait to get back on the park after their win against Arsenal last week.

Next 2 challenges if Newcastle retain:
-Wolves (a)
-Tottenham (h)

Next 2 if Blackburn win the shield:
-Man C (h)
-QPR (a)

herbeer
25-9-11, 09:29
Newcastle defended for the 6th time, fabolous start for the inaugural holders of the shield.
The Magpies had previously lost the last 5 at SJP against Blackburn, but always looked comfy this time round. Hat trick for Ba a good result

Next up the Old Golds, who as we saw looked dangerous today, so lets see how they go...

herbeer
1-10-11, 08:40
Newcastle in fine fettle ahead of the Wolves game. Will be a tough challenge of course. Tempting for them to start Ben ArfA or Santon, but I suspect they will play them from the bench. Magpies are on a roll, can they fight off the Wolves?

herbeer
3-10-11, 01:19
2-1 away win v Wolves, a great result for Newcastle. The shield is proving to be a lucky charm, about time Liverpool got their hands on it.

A bit lucky to get the 3 pts, with a disallowed equaliser from Doyle, but continued good performance. including goals from "Oo ah Demba Ba" and Jonas Gutierrez.

RogerHuntelaar
3-10-11, 02:10
Haha, damn you Newcastle!

herbeer
16-10-11, 20:27
Well done Geordies, twice coming from behind to draw with Spurs.

Already this is looking like one of the highlight shield tenures of the year. Geordies are really ****-a-hoop, I don't blame them as many (me?) picked them as relegation candidates. All their players are playing well, see Gutierrez' great goal in the blast game, Cabaye starting for France, Coloccini assured, Krul in great form etc, and they have some strength returning in Ben Arfa and Santon.
Pardew is doing a great job, and the midfield does the most running in the prem, not exactly a Newcastle trait over the years...

Starblind
16-10-11, 20:35
Well done Geordies, twice coming from behind to draw with Spurs.

I actually find myself thinking of this thread when Newcastle play :D

Next 3 fixtures for the Geordies:

Wigan (H)
Stoke (A)
Everton (H)

RogerHuntelaar
16-10-11, 21:02
Stoke away will be their downfall, mark my words!

Benny-Noons-Ghost
16-10-11, 21:32
Imagine if Newcastle go the whole season unbeaten :D

I reckon you might get the Key to the City :D

herbeer
16-10-11, 22:40
I actually find myself thinking of this thread when Newcastle play :D

Next 3 fixtures for the Geordies:

Wigan (H)
Stoke (A)
Everton (H)

Blackburn (a) after Wigan. Carling Cup games are challenges, if against Premier League teams...

KimJong-illmatic
17-10-11, 01:14
I've been thinking of this thread all day! Can't believe Newcastle still holding on.

herbeer
21-10-11, 21:27
Seemingly the closest the Toon have had to a banker. Will this be the one that is a turn-up?

Geordie fans are more agitated about Ashley's giant "Sports Direct" signs plastered all over the stands than any football matters at the moment. Not surprising when Shola's late goal extended their unbeaten start to the season.

If they repel Wigan they will face the 10th challenge to their reign at Blackburn. Time to share with the thread any insights you have on Newcastle and their good start...

Next up if Newcastle defend are:
Blackburn (a)
Stoke (a)

If Wigan can wrest the shield away the first challenges will be:
Fulham (h)
Wolves (a)

KimJong-illmatic
22-10-11, 00:52
Seemingly the closest the Toon have had to a banker. Will this be the one that is a turn-up?

Geordie fans are more agitated about Ashley's giant "Sports Direct" signs plastered all over the stands than any football matters at the moment. Not surprising when Shola's late goal extended their unbeaten start to the season.

If they repel Wigan they will face the 10th challenge to their reign at Blackburn. Time to share with the thread any insights you have on Newcastle and their good start...

Next up if Newcastle defend are:
Blackburn (a)
Stoke (a)

If Wigan can wrest the shield away the first challenges will be:
Fulham (h)
Wolves (a)

Surely this fixture can win the Ranfurly a couple times this year

herbeer
23-10-11, 22:58
1-0 v Wigan, not the most exciting game, first challenge I have seen live and in full. Wigan competed well and Newcastle looked a bit short of ideas but probably deserved it in the end.

Nice winner from Cabaye volley from the edge of the box with <10 mins left, he's been threatening that for a while now.

herbeer
25-10-11, 19:49
Next up is the 10th defence for the Toon. The Carling Cup game v Blackburn doubles as a challenge, the first time a cup game has done so.

To recap the rules, Blackburn will take the shield if they win the game, even if that is via penalties.

Should Newcastle retain, the next 2 challemges are:
Stoke (a)
Everton (h)
and after that things will get hard...

If Blackburn win the shield they will face:
Norwich (a), then
Chelsea (h)

A quick Newcastle fact on this auspicious occasion is that they first played in Red and White, a controversial choice if they tried it today I'd say

Oh-Bout-Tree-Fiddy
25-10-11, 19:51
So this is why newcastle are still unbeaten ;)

Great Motivation for them :D.

herbeer
25-10-11, 20:37
So this is why newcastle are still unbeaten ;)

Great Motivation for them :D.

Yeah'n they'll probably lose it to Chelsea who'll hold it for another ten or more... Shield is playing hard-to-get ...

kopitecrash
26-10-11, 21:26
Shield looks like it's passing to Blackburn.

herbeer
26-10-11, 22:05
2 in the 90th. No way...

Jay-Cutlers-Thumb
26-10-11, 22:07
2 in the 90th. No way...

Does it count if they are beaten in extra-time?

Starblind
26-10-11, 22:24
2 in the 90th. No way...

They're really not giving this up are they? Can you fix it and award it to Liverpool next season? :D

Edit - that's it! Blackburn claim the Shield! First defence is at Norwich.

herbeer
26-10-11, 22:39
Yes we have our first successful challenge. Well done Blackburn....

DirKuytinho
26-10-11, 22:41
Yes we have our first successful challenge. Well done Blackburn....

Definately, I put them(Blackburn) down as joint shortest holders this season tho :D

kopitecrash
26-10-11, 22:44
Norwich and Chelsea for Blackburn next. Whether they can keep it long enough to hand it over to Chelsea is another story.

herbeer
27-10-11, 20:08
The Geordies full record is as follows:Full record: (home scores first)

o 13/8/11 to 26/10/11Arsenal (h) 0 0
o Sunderland (a) 0 1
o Fulham (h) 2 1
o QPR (a) 0 0
o A Villa (a) 1 1
o Blackburn (h) 3 1
o Wolves (a) 1 2
o Spurs (h) 2 2
o Wigan (h) 1 0
o Blackburn (a) 3 4
o W5, D4, L1 GF 15, GA 10

Highlights of their tenure include:
o They have gone from widely-tipped relegation contenders to the Top 4
o Currently have the best defence in the league
o Have not missed high-profile departures Barton and Nolan
o Alan Pardew has turned around the fans
o Got great performances from Krul, Collocini, R Taylor, Gutierrez, Tiote, Cabaye and Ba
o Good draws against Arsenal and Tottenham
o Derby win at Roker Park, great free kick from Ryan Taylor
o Dominant draw at Villa Park
o First home win v Blackburn in several years
o Cabaye stunner v Wigan
o Comebacks against Villa and Spurs, as well as two long-range 90th minute goals to draw level at Blackburn before succumbing in extra time

Did I miss anything?

Well done Newcastle, you have done the Shield proud, and it will be hard for anyone to match your feats this year. Good luck in getting your hands on it again sometime this season....

Oh-Bout-Tree-Fiddy
27-10-11, 20:10
Well Done Blackburn but yeah their rein will be short!

gerrardstunner
27-10-11, 21:23

:D

herbeer
28-10-11, 04:37
Does anyone out there have any affiliation with Blackburn (2nd team, live there etc?) Would be great to hear a first-hand perspective.

Meanwhile here's a few facts and thoughts:

History:
o Established in 1875, becoming a founding member of The Football League in 1888
o One of only three clubs to have been both a founder member of the Football League and the Premier League (the others being Aston Villa and Everton)
o In 1890 Rovers moved to its permanent home at Ewood Park
o Honours - Champions 3 times (Last 94-95) FA cup winners 6 times (First time in 29 March 1884 with a 2–1 victory over the Scottish team Queen's Park F.C) League Cup \winners once
o One of only four clubs to have won the Premier League, along with Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United.
o Owned by the legendary Jack Walker from 1991 who invested heavily and took them to that Premiership title
o One of two clubs that have been managed by both Kenny Dalglish and Roy Hodgson :-)

Key players:
o Hoilet
o Paul Robinson
o Samba
o Nelsen (A Kiwi !!) (currently injured)
o MG Pederson
o Yakubu

It is difficult to imagine them going on a long run with the shield, but stranger things have happened...

RogerHuntelaar
28-10-11, 10:50
Jeez the Geordies still have this thing. When are we playing them? Can't wait to take the Ranfurly shield from them!

Starblind
28-10-11, 10:56
Jeez the Geordies still have this thing.

:confused:

Been at the wacky baccy again, Dutch?

RogerHuntelaar
28-10-11, 11:01
:confused:

Been at the wacky baccy again, Dutch?

Ha, why did I say something weird? :confused: :P

Starblind
28-10-11, 11:02
Ha, why did I say something weird? :confused: :P

That's not a denial I see ;)

RogerHuntelaar
28-10-11, 11:04
That's not a denial I see ;)

Oh wait, Blackburn have it now!

Starblind
28-10-11, 11:07

Oh wait, Blackburn have it now!

There ya go

*drops penny*

RogerHuntelaar
28-10-11, 11:08
There ya go

*drops penny*

:D Haha

herbeer
28-10-11, 21:07
Blackburn won the shield dominating a previously unbeaten Newcastle, scoring 4 times through Rochina, Aiyegbeni, Pedersen, Givet, including 2 in extra time
o It was their second challenge of the season, the only team to have challenged twice

• Notes re Blackburn
o Currently bottom of the table, no player has more than 2 PL goals
o But only 1 defeat in the last 3, and unlucky 1 2 v Spurs
o junior Hoilet is making a splash
o They only got 10,000 along to Ewood v Newcastle, half of which were Geordies. Hopefully they get a few more if they get to defend the shield against Chelsea
Can they recover physically from the extra time CC/shield game and all the drama midweek?

Notes re Norwich
o Their only home loss was early doors against WBA
o They have only lost 1 of the last 5
o Are 8th in table
o Top scorer is Pilkington with 3, Ruddy and Holt are other notable performers (don't we know it)

• The next 2 challenges if Blackburn can defend are:
Chelsea h
Wigan a

o The first 2 challenges for Norwich if they manage to win are:
Villa a
Arsenal h

herbeer
30-10-11, 19:53
An unlucky 3-3, never behind and 2 up at Carrow Road at the 80 minute mark before a heavily-deflected goal and disputed penalty cost them a much-needed win.

A scorcher from Hoilett was the highlight, with other goals from Yakubu and Samba.

As Firepickle points out, you do have to fancy the Reds chances of getting their first challenge for the season. If Chelsea win at Ewood, they will face Liverpool in their first defence. ButI should not get ahead of myself, maybe tghe lucky charm can help Blackburn to a point..?

herbeer
4-11-11, 20:36
A very tough one for Blackburn, but some hope exists after a win and an unlucky draw in the last 2 games against Newcastle and Norwich.

Mark Lawrenson is picking a draw, which would be a great result for Blackburn. They will need Hoilett to continue his great form to get that sort of result, given that the Arsenal game is the only home game they've won this season.

Chelsea have lost 2 and drawn one of their last three and the defence looks shaky, but they are still heavily favoured.

The lead story from Ewood is that the Venky's have banned protests, and a fans group is planning to beat that by hiring a plane to display a "Kean out" banner.
#determined

Best BRFC headline of the last couple of weeks must go to
"Goodwillie gone bad" following the assault hearing...

Next up if Rovers can get past Chelsea are:
Wigan (a)
Stoke (a)

And if Chelsea can defend:
LIVERPOOL (h)
Wolves (a)

#shieldcomingtoAnfield?

herbeer
7-11-11, 09:40
A tight one-nil win at Ewood makes Chelsea the third holder of the Ranfurly shield, and consigned Blackburn to a short tenure as might have been expected.

Blackburn certainly had their chances, and might be considered unlucky, especially with Ivanovic finding the underside of the bar in the last ten minutes instead of his own goal.

Can LIVERPOOL relieve Chelsea of the shield at the first time of asking, or will Chelsea put together a dynasty to match Newcastle's one.

Time will tell, but not for a couple of weeks yet...

Starblind
7-11-11, 11:42
Can LIVERPOOL relieve Chelsea of the shield at the first time of asking

If we can come out of the Chelsea & City games with the "shield" intact then I'll be quite happy :)

herbeer
19-11-11, 20:14
Hi all,

Can our beloved Reds get their hands on the shield at the first time of asking?
Not an easy challenge travelling to the bridge. Here's hoping, 3 points and the first (of many) silverware of the season...

If Chelsea can hold us off their next challenges are:
-Wolves (h)
-Us again (h)

If we get the shield on Sunday, our first 2 challenges are toughies:
-Man C (h)
-Chelsea (a)

herbeer
20-11-11, 19:33
The 3 pts is nice too.
Go Reds

KimJong-illmatic
21-11-11, 07:31
Who said we'd have a season without silverware?

Starblind
21-11-11, 10:12
:scarf

Simonnnnn
23-11-11, 13:35

Let's hope it gives us the luck it gave the Geordies, of course we'd need to beat City!

herbeer
23-11-11, 20:35
Reckon we will defend it against City, but a bit more worried about Chelsea away after that...

RogerHuntelaar
23-11-11, 20:41
Hope we will still have the shield after the next two games!

-Lucas--Leiva-
23-11-11, 20:42
Reckon we will defend it against City, but a bit more worried about Chelsea away after that...

More worried about City tbh, I think we have the squad to deal with a weakened Chelsea side:scarf

herbeer
25-11-11, 11:10
1st defence of the shield on Sunday is Man City. Tough game, but we fear no-one at Anfield.

A few key battles I see are:
-Suarez v any of the backline who tries to stop him
-Downing v Micah
-Adam v Yaya, Barry or De Jong
-Glen v Nasri, bit nervous there...

And a few selection thoughts:
-Andy after his 2 goals in this game last year? (I recko no)
-Maxi after the Chelsea game?n(No)
-Carra now that he's fit? (And no again...)
-Kuyt or Henderson (Henderson)

If we hold off the blues, next up are:
-Chelsea (a)
-Fulham (a)
not an easy shield ride...

If Man City to manage to wrestle it off us, they face:
-Arsenal (a)
-Norwich (h)

Bring it on!

RogerHuntelaar
25-11-11, 11:12

herbeer
25-11-11, 11:24

Welcome to the shield thread 50. Been following it, or just seen...

herbeer
28-11-11, 10:14
Well played game from the reds, more than matched the blue machine that rolled over the top of Spurs and Man U at their home grounds.

We could have won, what a result that would have been, but to have won the shield at Chelsea ans defended it vs Man City is a good achievement.

Hard now to back up at the Bridge, a day shy of rest, and with no doubt a weakened team, but lets see how we can do. If we hold this going into the weekend it will have been a great couple of weks and will say a bit about the strength of the team, and squad, and be a good pointer to the rest of the season and the future...

#yayus

herbeer
29-11-11, 09:32
Who is planning to take this game in live?

No-one knows quite what team to expect from the reds for this one. We know KK has form for playing very strong sides, but two days rest really is an exceptional case.

What a result it will be if we could pull off a win. BTW what is the go if level after 90, do they play extra-time and pens?

As far as the shield goes, the winner after extra-time or pens does take or keep the shield.

Andyfagan
29-11-11, 13:25
Does it count if it's in the Carling Cup?

RogerHuntelaar
29-11-11, 13:30
Does it count if it's in the Carling Cup?

Yes of course!

I hope we still have it after today.

Starblind
29-11-11, 14:12
Yes of course!

I hope we still have it after today.

I hope we still have it in May :p

herbeer
29-11-11, 22:46
Wow. 2 away wins v Chelsea and a great performance in a home draw v Man City. Not many would have picked it.
And that after Newcastle's great tenure.

Long may it continue

RogerHuntelaar
29-11-11, 22:50
Yeah we've still got it and we will probably keep it for a while!:scarf

herbeer
5-12-11, 07:15
Fulham next up for the Reds in their quest to defend the shield.

This is Fulham's 2nd challenge of the season, having lost at SJP earlier in the season. The only other team to have had 2 challenges, Blackburn, got lucky
2nd time round. Hopefully not an omen...

It will be our first chance to see KK's response to Post-Lucas life, anyone for a midfield 3 of Spearing, Adam and Henderson?

Fulham have 1 win, 3 draws and 2 losses in their 6 home games so far with 11goals scored and 9 conceded. Key players for them include Schwarzer, Hangeland and Senderos, Dempsey, Zamora and AJ. A few good players there and it will be good to be see John Arne and Danny again too.

Next up if Liverpool retain the shield is:
-QPR (h)
-Aston Villa (a)

Strangely Newcastle defended successfully against Fulham, QPR and Villa in the same sequence that we play them

If Fulhan do manage to win the shield they get:
-Swansea (a)
-Bolton (h)
each of whom are awaiting their first challenge of the season

Hopefully they have to wait a little longer...

neilshorty
5-12-11, 10:52
I'm really enjoying this thread. Hopefully we can see a long and successful defense of the shield. How many games did newcastle keep it for again? would love to see who will have the most reigns in a couple of years time.

Herbeer, thumbs up to ya all the effort your puttin into this as well. Ya wouldn't get stats like yours on Sky Sports news. ;)

Keep up the good work.
:scarf:scarf:scarf

Eloader
5-12-11, 12:40
Me too! :scarf

Shouldn't this be called the herbeer shield instead of the Ranfurly Shield? :D

WirralRiddler
5-12-11, 15:55
this really should be made an offical cup, its something different and would just be something else to talk about and brag about, it would become bigger than the CL for the smaller clubs!

herbeer
5-12-11, 19:11
I'm really enjoying this thread. Hopefully we can see a long and successful defense of the shield. How many games did newcastle keep it for again? would love to see who will have the most reigns in a couple of years time.

Herbeer, thumbs up to ya all the effort your puttin into this as well. Ya wouldn't get stats like yours on Sky Sports news. ;)

Keep up the good work.
:scarf:scarf:scarf

Thanks guys, its kind of fun, occasional feedback helps!!!
#keepitupReds

herbeer
6-12-11, 07:30
Bug8er!

Haven't seen the game yet, had some work to do. It does sound like we were a bit unlucky with a good goal disallowed, another couple of posters, a goalkeeping error and a dubious sending off. Gutting. Of course we are not finishing well enough, so it's not all luck. Scoring 1 of 4 pens this year is symptomatic of the rest of our finishing.

Anyway, onward and upward for the Reds.

As for Fulham, they become the 5th holders of the shield. Only 6 teams have gone without a challenge so far, (including Man U, hope they never get their grubby hands on it...)

Fulham have a fairly easy early run starting with Swansea away, so they may have an opportunity to get a little tenure together.

So time for me to add a #Fulham list to my twitter feed to get a small fix on the pulse of the new holders...

I've already deleted my Newcastle one and miss those guys a bit...

RoflKloppter
6-12-11, 07:36
haha nice concept, keep it up.

herbeer
10-12-11, 02:46
A few facts:

Founded in 1879, (as Fulham St Andrews) they are the oldest professional football team in London

One of the club's first ever kits was half red, half white shirts with white shorts

They started playing at their current ground Craven Cottage in 1896, their first game against now defunct rivals Minerva FC

They have never won a major honour (before the Shield that is)

They have been involved in 2 cup finals, the FA Cup in 1975 as a 2nd division team, (0 2 v Westham) and the 2010 Eoropa League final (1 2 v Atletico Madrid)

Most famous players: Rodney Marsh, Johnny Haynes, Bobby Robson, George Best*

Other names of interest are Jean Tigana, Edwin van Der Sar, Louis Saha and Chris Coleman, Mark Highes, Roy Hodgson, Kevin Keegan and they are of course inextricably linked with Mohammed Al Fayed.

They've twice scored 101 goals in getting promoted from the 2nd tier division.

They spent several years in the third division prior to Prior to Al Fayeds arrival and their steady rise to the premiership

The Fulham mascot is Billy the Badger. Billy the Badger wears the number 79 Fulham shirt, in reference to the club's year of founding (1879). Controversy first surrounded Billy when he tried to cheer up Chelsea manager Avram Grant during a home match in front of the television cameras. Secondly, Billy was seen on television being sent off during the home game against Aston Villa on Sunday 3 February 2008, for breakdancing in the corner of the pitch after the referee had commenced the game. Billy blamed his badger hearing and eyesight for the incident, and apologised to referee Chris Foy

herbeer
10-12-11, 09:38
The Cottagers seek to join the ranks of those who have successfully defended the shield when they take on Swansea at Liberty Stadium Saturday. They will want to win it to bring it back to Michael Jackson...

Swansea have won 3 of their last 5 at home and will be a stern test for Fulham. They don't inspire much confidence at the sharp end, though Danny Graham is back which may help. They have been consistently good defensively, led by Vorm in goal.

Fulham aren't as brittle as they used to be away, and have surprisingly only lost one of their last 5 away. Dempsey, who's always been a good player leads the team in goals and assists. They are showing signs of coming together undel Jol, and may be improvers over the December period. There is lots of twitter noise that Zamora may not play, and is on his way out which would set them back a bit if true.

If Fulham can defend they will face:
Bolton (h)
Man U (h)

If the Swans take the shield, they would face:
Newcastle (a) [The Shield darlings] #notthemAgain then
Everton (a)

My pick, Fulham to hold on...

Does anyone have any affiliation with the Cottagers, or is planning to watch the Swansea game? Would love to know, and hear your thoughts...

herbeer
10-12-11, 22:12
Well in Swansea. The Shield is becoming a bit of a sl*t at the moment...:P

Didn't see the game but it sounds like Swansea were great value for the win, though Dempsey had a pen saved by Vorm in the 87th minute which made the difference.

Lots of possession shots and corners for the Swans, and goals for Sinclair and Graham.

Next up for them are the shield legends Newcastle at SJP. Despite the Geordies poor form, a real baptism of fire. It also takes Man U away from the challenge path, all good on that front

shabb1r
12-12-11, 18:41
Interesting stuff, Herbeer.

Going by the fixture list it might be a while before we get this "thing" back.

Swansea play Newcastle next like you said, and that is the only way (I think) we stand a chance of getting it back in the near future (if newcastle win, which we do not want).

I would like Swansea to actually keep it for a bit since they play newcastle and everton next, then maybe move it to QPR (who should then beat arsenal to retain).

Either way, it will be an interesting next few weeks with the busy christmas schedule. Lots of swaps may happen in a short space of time.

herbeer
14-12-11, 09:03
Swansea were founded in 1912 (so late due to the prevalence of rugby in the area) as Swansea Town and joined the Football League in 1921

The only Welsh club in the premier league, they play their home matches at the Liberty Stadium.

In 1964 the Swans reached a second FA Cup semi-final, beating Barrow, Sheffield United and Stoke City on the way to a famous sixth round victory at Anfield. They also reached the semis in 1926. They have never won a major honour.

They began their famous ascent in 1978 under John Toshack (then 28) , moving from the 4th Division, to lead the First division in December 1981, eventually finishing 6th, including victories over Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Tottenham.

Their subsequent fall however was similarly rapid, two consecutive relegations followed, and Toshack was sacked. In 1986, they fell back into the fourth division.

The next famous ascent commenced in 2007 when under Roberto Martinez they were promoted from League One. That was completed in 2010-11 when they won the playoff to earn promotion to the Premier league

Their biggest win is12–0 v Sliema Wanderers, in the European Cup Winners' Cup First Round First Leg, 15 September 1982

Current stars include Michal Vorm, Ashley Williams, Scott Sinclair and Danny Graham

Stars from the past include Ivor Allchurch, Cliff Jones, Alan Curtis, Jeremy Charles, Robbie James, Tommy Smith, Ian Callaghan.

Jan Molby played for and managed Swansea, whilst other Managers include Terry Yorath and John Bond.

Swansea City and its supporters are unofficially known as 'Jacks'. One explanation for this name is that during the 17th century, sailors from Swansea were respected and any 'Swansea Jack' was allowed to join the crew based simply on the town's reputation for good sailors. Many, however, believe that the name originates from the renowned life-saving dog Swansea Jack.

...and they have the Shield

herbeer
16-12-11, 19:53
If there's any history surrounding the new Ranfurly Shield concept, that history belongs to Newcastle. As inaugural holders, they successfully defended the shield 9 times from August, and now have the chance to grab it back again.

This shapes as an interesting contest, Newcastle have struggled with some difficult fixtures, and injuries to their previously unchanged back four.
What would once have been a banker for them is far from it.

Swansea play nice football, it will be good to see if they can do that in the intimidating environment at SJP (or SDA these days...) They have not won away in their last 5, but a draw will do them

Next up for the Jacks if they can defend the shield:
Everton a
QPR h

If the Geordies get the shield back they will face:
West Brom h
Bolton a
(then us)

I find myself cheering on the Swans but will be happy for the Geordies if they can do it

herbeer
17-12-11, 21:27
Well done Swans.
Anyone see the game?

Kloppette
17-12-11, 21:40
Well done Swans.
Anyone see the game?

Yes, Newcastle should have scored a few in the first half and were all over them, some good saves from Vorm again.

Second half was a bit tighter but Newcastle still looked the better side and could again have taken the lead. Swansea had a couple of snapshots but held on with some good defending and goalkeeping.

herbeer
17-12-11, 21:59
Yes, Newcastle should have scored a few in the first half and were all over them, some good saves from Vorm again.

Second half was a bit tighter but Newcastle still looked the better side and could again have taken the lead. Swansea had a couple of snapshots but held on with some good defending and goalkeeping.

Thx Koppette, u follow Newcastle or Swansea a bit, or just watching?

herbeer
21-12-11, 19:34
Can Everton get their hands on it?

herbeer
21-12-11, 23:09
A Leon Osman goal helps the Bitters land the Shield. I was working, anyone see the game?

herbeer
26-12-11, 21:22
Everton face a tough first defence of the Shield, away to a resurgent Martin O’Neill-led Sunderland.

The blues were good value for their last win against Swansea, and its not such a bad team sheet when you think of Jagielka, Baines, Drenthe, Fellaini, Cahill and Howard. The obvious weakness is up front, with insufficient cash available to do other than hope the arrival of Donovan helps, and Saha can stay fit and start scoring.

My pick is Sunderland, despite the fact they have not beaten Everton in their last 14 attempts.

If Everton can retain the shield they will face:

WBA (a)
Bolton (h)

Not too tough a schedule, they may harbour hopes on going on a bit of a run.

If Sunderland do get up, they will face:
Man City (h)
Wigan (a)

herbeer
26-12-11, 21:23
Everton hold on to the Shield after a 1-1 draw with the benefit of a contoversial penalty.

Next up the Baggies...

herbeer
1-1-12, 20:32
Diabolical game, you can see how Everton struggle to score

Good result but, next up Bolton at home

-tattybojangles-
1-1-12, 20:41
Really enjoying this original thread - repped

BluebirdInPeace
1-1-12, 20:49
Unbelievable. The only time Everton win a cup is on a Liverpool FC forum and its not even a real one, its a fictional one.

2012 has certainly got off to a strange start! :wacko:

herbeer
1-1-12, 21:42
Really enjoying this original thread - repped

Thx Tatty...

Unbelievable. The only time Everton win a cup is on a Liverpool FC forum and its not even a real one, its a fictional one.

2012 has certainly got off to a strange start! :wacko:

Yes ironic eh??

What did we learn (or relearn) fm today:
-Baines is good
-No wonder Saha can't score, there's no blue shirt within 20 yards of him
-Don't play Heitinga in midfield
-Everton are on the up
-Donovan will give them some much needed energy
-Rodwell is classy even if he went missing in the second half
-Roy is very defensive
-Odemwingie has lost the spark
-Jerome Thomas gets about the place

herbeer
2-1-12, 20:19
Well it’s reached the half-way point of the 2011-12 premier league, a good time to reflect on Shield happenings to date.

Number of holders: 7 – Newcastle, Blackburn, Chelsea, Liverpool, Fulham, Swansea and Everton

Most successful Shield defences: Newcastle (9)

Biggest win: Newcastle 3-1 v Blackburn

Best game: Blackburn 4 Newcastle 3 (Newcastle scored 2 goals in the last couple of minutes to take the game to 3-3 and extra time)

Best goal: Gutierrez v Wolves (can’t seem to find it on Yotube…)

Biggest upset to win the shield: Fulham v Liverpool

Most goals: Demba Ba (5)

Only teams not to get a challenge: Man U, Stoke, Bolton (who are next up)

“Biggest” Shield challenge: Chelsea v Liverpool (Premier League)

Also of note:

No London team is yet to successfully retain the Shield

None of the top 4 have held the shield

….slowly getting its own history

RogerHuntelaar
2-1-12, 21:45
Nice thread, this. :)

herbeer
2-1-12, 22:09
Thx Roger, u seem to be my biggest contributor of feedback. Congrats on your award...

Liverpool need this thing back again.

Kloppette
3-1-12, 10:43
Well it’s reached the half-way point of the 2011-12 premier league, a good time to reflect on Shield happenings to date.

Number of holders: 7 – Newcastle, Blackburn, Chelsea, Liverpool, Fulham, Swansea and Everton

Most successful Shield defences: Newcastle (9)

Biggest win: Newcastle 3-1 v Blackburn

Best game: Blackburn 4 Newcastle 3 (Newcastle scored 2 goals in the last couple of minutes to take the game to 3-3 and extra time)

Best goal: Gutierrez v Wolves (can’t seem to find it on Yotube…)

Biggest upset to win the shield: Fulham v Liverpool

Most goals: Demba Ba (5)

Only teams not to get a challenge: Man U, Stoke, Bolton (who are next up)

“Biggest” Shield challenge: Chelsea v Liverpool (Premier League)

Also of note:

None of the top 4 have held the shield

….slowly getting its own history

Might be a little cheeky but can you do a Ranfurly half way results list so we can see where it has been where and when e.t.c

Annoying Everton have it now, If Bolton do take it we could have it back in a few weeks. Cmon LFC lets get the Ranfurly shield

herbeer
4-1-12, 12:02
Everton are hot favourites to defend the shield for the third time.
Landon Donovan will be available for the first time, whilst Gary Cahill should still be in contention for Bolton.

If Everton hold on they will face:
-Tottenham (a)
-Villa (a)

Should Bolton win it they face even worse with:
-Man U (a)
-Liverpool (h)
....then Arsenal :ohmy:

herbeer
5-1-12, 00:02
Holy hell, 2-1 at Everton

GottaWearShades
5-1-12, 00:02
Excellent. Bolton has an easy game next out and then its us.

herbeer
12-1-12, 22:41
[QUOTE=Koppette;6862602]Might be a little cheeky but can you do a Ranfurly half way results list so we can see where it has been where and when e.t.c

Here y'go Kopette, and anyone else interested...

Ranfurly Shield Half term - Full results (Holders in caps)

Inaugural challenge 13/8/11 NEWCASTLE 0 0 Arsenal
20/8/11 Sunderland 0 NEWCASTLE 1 (R Taylor)
28/8/11 NEWCASTLE 2 (Best 2) Fulham 1 (Dempsey)
12/9/11 Qpr 0 0 NEWCASTLE
17/9 A Villa 1 (Agbonlahor) NEWCASTLE 1 (Best)
24/9/11 NEWCASTLE 3 (Ba 3) Blackburn 1 (Hoilett)
1/10/11 Wolves 1 (Fletcher) NEWCASTLE 2 (Ba, Gutierrez)
16/10/11 NEWCASTLE 2 (Ba, Ameobi) Tottenham 2 (Van der Vaart, Defoe)
22/10/11 NEWCASTLE 1 (Cabaye) Wigan 0
26/10/11Blackburn 4 (Rochina, Yakubu, Pedersen, Givet) NEWCASTLE 3 (aet) [Carling Cup] (Guthrie, Cabaye, Lovenkrands)

29/10/11 Norwich 3 (Morison, B Johnson, Holt) BLACKBURN 3 (Hoilett, Yakubu, Samba)
5/11/11 BLACKBURN 0 Chelsea 1 (Lampard)

20/11/11 CHELSEA 1 (Sturridge) Liverpool 2 (Maxi, Johnson)

27/11/11 LIVERPOOL 1 (Lescott og) Man City 1 (Kompany)
29/11/11 Chelsea 0 LIVERPOOL 2 [Carling Cup] (Maxi, Kelly)
5/12/11 Fulham 1 (Dempsey) LIVERPOOL 0

10/12/11 Swansea 2 (Sinclair, Graham) FULHAM 0

17/12/11 Newcastle 0 SWANSEA 0
21/12/11 Everton 1 (Osman) SWANSEA 0

26/12/11 Sunderland 1 (Colbeck) EVERTON 1 (Baines pen)
1/1/12 WBA 0 EVERTON 1 (Anichebe)
4/1/12 EVERTON 1 (Howard) Bolton 2 (Ngog, Cahill)

Oh-Bout-Tree-Fiddy
12-1-12, 22:45
Who do Bolton have next?

SalahDressing
12-1-12, 23:08
Who do Bolton have next?

United.

herbeer
12-1-12, 23:55
Who do Bolton have next?

Yeah, United at OT. I always put the next challenge details back into the OP.
Not looking good for the Trotts. We are on the horizon either way...

herbeer
13-1-12, 09:42
The Shields latest unlikely holders face their first challenge following their upset win at Goodison Park.

They don’t have it easy, with a trip to Old Trafford on Saturday. Man U are a bit wounded at the moment, despite the FA cup win over City, and will be expected to win the game and the Shield. Coyle may say otherwise, hoping that the win at Everton can be a catalyst for a run to give them a chance of avoiding the drop.

Should Bolton manage to hold of the Mancs, they will face a home defence against Liverpool, so not the easiest of starts for the Trotters.
#doomed

It’s touch and go whether Cahill will still be wearing the white, Bolton and Reds fans will be hoping that NLength can extend his scoring streak to 2 and hold United off.

Next up for Bolton if they can defend is:
-Liverpool (h)
-Swansea (h) (if they get past Macclesfield in the third round replay), else
-Arsenal (h)

If United win the Shield they will face:
-Arsenal (a)
-Liverpool (a)
#alsodoomed

Oh-Bout-Tree-Fiddy
13-1-12, 12:04
The shields coming our way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

herbeer
14-1-12, 20:01
Man U 3 Bolton 0.
Short tenure as expected. Next up Arsenal at the Emirates

herbeer
22-1-12, 10:35
United have a tough one in their first ever defence of the Shield. Can they have a long tenure? if so they will need to survive at the Emirates and then Anfield before life gets a little easier.

United go in as favourites having won seven and lost one of their last nine matches against the Gunners. It could be the battle of the returning heroes as both Henry and Scholes have made impacts since their return.

Next up if United hold the shield is:
Liverpool (a) [FAC]
Stoke (h)

If Arsenal can win the Shield for the first time they would face:
A Villa (h) [FAC]
Bolton (a)

Matt-CM
22-1-12, 10:57
United have a tough one in their first ever defence of the Shield. Can they have a long tenure? if so they will need to survive at the Emirates and then Anfield before life gets a little easier.

United go in as favourites having won seven and lost one of their last nine matches against the Gunners. It could be the battle of the returning heroes as both Henry and Scholes have made impacts since their return.

Next up if United hold the shield is:
Liverpool (a) [FAC]
Stoke (h)

If Arsenal can win the Shield for the first time they would face:
A Villa (h) [FAC]
Bolton (a)

Bizarrely a part of me wants United to win so we can take it off them. I feel unclean :P

herbeer
23-1-12, 19:59
United keep the shield after a good 2-1 win at Arsenal, courtesy of an 81st minute Wellbeck winner and an infamous Wenger substitution.

Next up, Anfield and Liverpool. Big game...

herbeer
28-1-12, 09:05
The biggest ever Ranfurly shield challenge...

Liverpool v United, doubling as a huge FA cup 4th round tie, the 12th man v Evra...

The reds will be buoyed by the SF win over the blue half of Manchester and will be keen to inflict more pain on their much-loved neighbours.

Should Liverpool lit the shield, their first defences wil be:
-Wolves (a)
-Tottenham (h)

If Man U can hang on they face:
-Stoke (h)
-Chelsea (a)

Come on you reds!!
#ynwa

RedEmmaG
28-1-12, 13:36
The biggest ever Ranfurly shield challenge...

Liverpool v United, doubling as a huge FA cup 4th round tie, the 12th man v Evra...

The reds will be buoyed by the SF win over the blue half of Manchester and will be keen to inflict more pain on their much-loved neighbours.

Should Liverpool lit the shield, their first defences wil be:
-Wolves (a)
-Tottenham (h)

If Man U can hang on they face:
-Stoke (h)
-Chelsea (a)

Come on you reds!!
#ynwa

Come on RedMen we need to get this thing back!

herbeer
28-1-12, 15:59
We won the Shield. First team to win it twice

Next up is Wolves away...
#youf*ckingbeauty

RedEmmaG
30-1-12, 17:42

#youf*ckingbeauty

Yes!..Lets hope we can defend it now, newcastle's record is impressive..But we CAN over run them! :)

Matt-CM
30-1-12, 17:46
Hooray!

WindyShepherdHenderson
30-1-12, 17:48

#youf*ckingbeauty

We can now swear like that? #getthef*ckin

smokintony
30-1-12, 17:52

herbeer
31-1-12, 08:29
We can now swear like that? #getthef*ckin

sshhh...

herbeer
31-1-12, 08:34
Coming off their great results against the Manchester clubs, Liverpool will look to emphatically retain the shield with a win at Wolves, and enhance their top 4 prospects.

The games have been coming thick and fast, so we may see some rotation and a further test of squad strength.

If Liverpool can retain, they will face:
Tottenham (h) and
Man U (a)

not easy...

If wolves beat the reds, they will face:
QPR (a), and
W.B.A (h)

Go reds...

GottaWearShades
31-1-12, 08:58
How good is King Kenny?

He even wins trophies that don't exist.

Great stuff

Quickazai
31-1-12, 09:45
I'm really enjoying this thread. Come on reds!

herbeer
1-2-12, 10:21
Go reds, go Andy.... Bring on the spurs

RagnarTheRed
1-2-12, 10:39
Really enjoy reading this thread hopefully we can go on to have a long defence of the shield than Newcastle if we do that I think we could be top four by the end of the run.

Groanfield
1-2-12, 10:50
Can we have a top scorers chart for Ranfurly Shield matches? :)

herbeer
1-2-12, 18:48
Can we have a top scorers chart for Ranfurly Shield matches? :)

You mean top individual scorers? I might update that occasionally but probably only a few times a season as it is not that dynamic.

Did you see my half-term report (Post 122), and my half-term results list(Post 129) on Pg 5, here:

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/threads/266829-Ranfurly-Shield/page5

RogerHuntelaar
1-2-12, 19:28
Let's hope the shield brings us luck! :)

smokintony
1-2-12, 19:32
How many clubs have never had a chance to win this so far this season?

herbeer
1-2-12, 19:56
How many clubs have never had a chance to win this so far this season?

Just poor old Stoke...

herbeer
5-2-12, 20:43
Huge game, huge challenge.

Of interest:
-Suarez' return, and an opportunity to see him and Gerrard (and Bellamy?) in full flight
-Revenge for the 4-0 mauling?
-An opportunity to make up PL ground on Chelsea
-How will the reds handle Spurs flair with Bale, Modric, VDV et al?
-A few spurs injuries, esp. up top
-Possible debut for Ryan Nelsen (Kiwi... )

can't wait to see it, despite a little trepidation

If Reds hold on the Shield, next up is:
-Man U (a) (As my boy Jake says, "Easy")
-Everton (h)

Should Spurs wrestle it away god forbid, then:
-Newcastle[Shield kings] (h)
-Arsenal (a)

Still no sign of challenge-less Stoke on the horizon

#nogreatloss

herbeer
7-2-12, 07:26
Liverpool retain the Shield, they will be disappointed not to bag 3 PL points and make some ground on Chelsea in what was a hard fought encounter.
Alkthough Liverpool dominated territorially there was not a great lot of chances produced, and Anfield held its breath when Reina saved off Bale with his legs with just a few minutes left.

Next up is the old enemy at OT, Suarez v Evra mark 2 etc. If the Reds can get past that tough test they stand a good chance of establishing a good shield tenure
#justcantGetenough

herbeer
10-2-12, 22:39
United get a chance to gain revenge over Liverpool who lifted the shield off them at Anfield in January.
A feisty encounter in store, with all the various subplots being touted in the press in advance of the game.

A hard place to escape from with anything, lets hope the reds can do it

Next up if Liverpool retain is:
-Arsenal (h)
-Sunderland (a)
subject to the Everton reschedule

If United regain the Shield they will face:
-Norwich (a)
-WBA (h)

herbeer
11-2-12, 21:33
United regained the Shield from Liverpool who had previously relieved them of it.
Not the fullest-blooded defence from Liverpool, still nobody can seem to hold onto the Shield for any length of time.

Liverpool and United are the only team to have held it twice, United's fixture list is not the toughest, so they do have an opportunity to establish a bit of a reign, but first need to see off Norwich at Carrow Rd

herbeer
24-2-12, 19:54
For the first time, the Ranfurly Shield holders have lost a competitive game to a team from outside the EPL, with Man U losing at OT to Ajax.

The Ranfurly Shield stays with Man U, the rules are quite clear on that, but I might take this opportunity to initiate in parallel with the Ranfurly Shield the "World shield" with the same rules but without the EPL restriction. It might be an interesting road, the shield will move across countries and outside of the top divisions occasionally, as a result of cup upsets. Super Cup and World Club championship games will count so it could eventually move from Europe to South America.

I won't bother with the previews and score reports etc, will just give an occasional update about the whereabouts of the World Shield every now and then or if something interesting happens.

So the inaugural holder of the World Shield is Ajax...

herbeer
26-2-12, 09:06
United look to defend the shield against Norwich at Carrow Rd after a bit of a break in the action.
Tough opening defence, followed by another one at White Hart Lane if they get up today.

Norwich have only lost one of their last 5 at home, but United have only lost one of their last 5 away. Signs point to a United retention, but there have been a lot of upsets this year, and another one here is not beyond the realm of possibilities.

I still love the story of the Canaries getting thrashed (6-1 I think at home) on opening day of league 1 by Colchester 2 years ago, sacking their manager soon after, and hiring the same Colchester Manager Paul Lambert, who has overseen succesive promotions and a brilliant first season in the premiership.

If Utd retain the Shield they will face:
-Tottenham (a)
-West Brom (h)

If Norwich can win, they face:
-Stoke (a)
-Wigan (h)

Stoke are the only team yet to get a challenge, so they will have their yellow scarves on today...

herbeer
26-2-12, 20:33
United retain, but WE WON THE CARLING CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!

#kennysfirstTrophyback

herbeer
4-3-12, 11:01
Not enjoying this Utd tenure, anyway...

Big challenge for United if they are to keep hold of the Shield.

Spurs will miss Parker, and may have a couple of others out too, so look a little undermanned, but they win many at home, so will fancy their chances. United are getting stronger, and will want to retain the Shield as well as keep City in their sights.

Should Utd win they will next face:
WBA (h)
Wolves (a)

If Spurs get the Shield, they will come up against:
Everton (a)
Stoke (h)

herbeer
4-3-12, 20:50
'nuff said.

Next up Baggies at OT

herbeer
10-3-12, 21:05
United at home to the Baggies, who are in great form after beating Chelsea and thrashing Sunderland, but have never held the Shield. That may not change this time round.

Ajax and Bilbao haven't been troubled at Old Traford but lower-placed Premiership sides seem to struggle with the mental challenge.
There's a few glimmers of hope with players like Odemwingie, Long and Jerome Thomas in the mix, so pls wish Roy all the best...

Next up for United would be:
-Wolves (a)
-Fulham (h)

If the Baggies win the Shield they'd face:
-Wigan (a)
-Newcastle (h)

herbeer
11-3-12, 20:48
Predictable I guess, Rooney twice...

herbeer
18-3-12, 08:51
Quite sl#tted with Utd having the Shield as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

I doubt that will change tomorrow with the Old Golds, but you never know...

If the scum hold on, next up is:
-Fulham (h)
-Blackburn (a)

If Wolves shd upset them, they will face:
-Norwich (a)
-Bolton (h)

Go golds...

herbeer
18-3-12, 21:00
Chicharito a couple

herbeer
25-3-12, 22:16
In the unlikely event that the Cottagers can roll Man U they will be one of only 3 (along with Liverpool and Man U) to have held the Shield twice.

Their recent form has been poor, but if they manage they will then face:
-Norwich (h)
-Bolton (a)

If United repel them they will face:
-Blackburn (a)
-QPR (h)

United already have 4 successful defences this tenure, they may be shaping up to catch or overtake the Geordies great run from the start of the season..

#goCottagers

herbeer
27-3-12, 01:08
MAN U 1 Fulham 0

herbeer
2-4-12, 05:49
United bring a record of 9 wins and a draw in their last 10 PL appearances, and are in the midst of easily the second-best Shield tenure since its inception this year.
Blackburn aren't so bad at home, 3 wins and a draw in their last 5, but its a big ask for them to knock over United. If I recollect correctly they did do that this season, in the reverse fixture at Old Trafford

If United win they will next face:
-QP{R (h)
-Wigan (a)

If Blackburn beat them they will face:
-West Brom (a)
-Liverpool (h)

TomHighwaysM16
2-4-12, 06:18
United don't look like they are going to lose the shield any time soon.

herbeer
5-4-12, 01:40
Blackburn 0 MAN U 2, this is turning into a wonderful Shield tenure.

...:fishing

herbeer
8-4-12, 09:38
The R's are the latest of the underdogs to be pitched up against Man Utd to look to secure the Shield.
Can they do it? logic says no...

If Utd retain, next up is:
-Wigan (a)
-A Villa (h)

If the superhoops can take care of business, then they would face:
-Swansea (h)
-West Brom (a)

herbeer
8-4-12, 21:33
2-0, Shrek and the Ginger, against 10 men...

herbeer
12-4-12, 08:35
Thank god for that... a goal from Shaun Maloney ends United's run. Hope the mighty Shield is not permanently tarnished by the last few weeks.
May Wigan keep it for a while as a just reward...

herbeer
16-4-12, 08:10
Arsenal's good form generally, and their recent home recent W-W-W-W-W does not make encoraging reading for Wigan, the "United-killers"
Wigan themselves have lost only once in the last 5 and may have Rodallegaback in action to boost their chances.

Should the Latics be able to fend off Arsenalk, then next up is:
-Fulham (a)
-Newcastle (h)

If Arsenal win the Shield for the first time they would face:
-Chelsea (h)
-Stoke (a)

The Shield has not been a lucky charm for London teams, who have only won it twice and never successfully defended it...
Stoke will be eyeing up the next couple of games as they are the only PL team not to have challenged for the Shield this season

AlessoAfrojackAvicii
16-4-12, 08:14
I think I get it, and I like it.

Are Wigan currently holding the shield because they beat Utd - who are the title holders? So if Arsenal beat them, they'll be the shield holders?

Benny-Noons-Ghost
16-4-12, 09:23
I think I get it, and I like it.

Are Wigan currently holding the shield because they beat Utd - who are the title holders? So if Arsenal beat them, they'll be the shield holders?

Yep :)

Oh-Bout-Tree-Fiddy
16-4-12, 10:04
Wigan will beat Arsenal :IN: and lose to Fulham who we'll beat to regain it!

Arsenal will beat Wigan before losing to Chelsea who we'll beat to regain it!

Please delete as necessary!

herbeer
16-4-12, 20:30
Wigan fighting pretty hard to keep this thing, 2-1 atm...

So maybe (a) above Fiddy?

herbeer
17-4-12, 10:17
Unbelievable result, not many saw that coming, despite the recent wins over Man U and us. Well in.

They actually have some chance of keeping then Shield for the summer, their last four games are against Fulham, Blackbuirn, Wolves and home to Newcastle...

Oh-Bout-Tree-Fiddy
17-4-12, 11:40
Wigan fighting pretty hard to keep this thing, 2-1 atm...

So maybe (a) above Fiddy?

New it all along :IN:

herbeer
21-4-12, 21:41
Fulham become the third team (behind Liverpool and Man U) to hold the Shield twice in its inaugural season through a last minute Senderos header. Pogrebnyak had a big influence on the game with a goal, another disallowed, and one off the post.

They will hope to defend it this time around but don't bet too much on a long tenure as they go on a Merseyside tour, with their next games at Goodisn and then Anfield.

herbeer
28-4-12, 11:20
The battle for the right to hold the Shield over the summer continues as Fulham look to make their first successful defence of the Shield in two tries, having lost it to Swansea at the first time of asking earlier in the season.

They have a tough one first up, against an in-form Everton at Goodison, with Jelavic in red hot form.

Fulham themselves are in good form, 9th in the league, with only one loss in their last 5.

If Fulham get up the Reds get first chance to grab the Shield for the third time this season.

Next up for Fulham are:
-Liverpool (a), and
-Sunderland (h)

If Everton win, they face:
-Stoke (a)
-Wolves (a)

KimJong-illmatic
28-4-12, 20:13
Everton take it then.

I could see them holding it at Stoke, and Wolves snatching it in the finale. Ranfurly Shield goes to the Championship. Herbeer's poor head explodes.

herbeer
28-4-12, 22:30
Yep, Blues dished out an old-fashioned thrashing, the largest in Shield history. Next up Stoke away, who were the only club till now not to get a challenge for the Shield.

And to Kim JI, if Wolves have the Shield at the end of the year they will cede it to Reading as Championship champions, as the Shield must remain in the Premier League [and my head will not explode:P)

Cumbrian.
28-4-12, 22:43
Fantastic idea this. Well done to the creator.

herbeer
29-4-12, 09:33
Fantastic idea this. Well done to the creator.

Thx Cumbrian, I have enjoyed following it...

herbeer
29-4-12, 09:34
Remarkable there are still 8 clubs with prospects of winning the Shield and keeping it over summer.

The run in looks like this:

Current holder: Everton
-Stoke a
-Wolves a
-Newcastle h

Stoke:
-QPR a
-Bolton h

Wolves:
Wigan a

QPR:
Man City a

My pick? - The shield to end up where it began, at Newcastle...

herbeer
1-5-12, 09:29
Stoke make their very first challenge of the season, being the last of the teams to take a turn. They will be glad to do that at the Brittania, and may fancy their chances, despite Everton's great recent form, including four goals in each of their last 3.

Everton will be keen to defend the Shield as they did twice in their first tenure earlier in the season, and get one step closer to putting it in their cupboard over the off-season. As someone posted earlier in the season, there's something ironic about Everton finally getting their hands on some silverware via a Liverpool FC forum. Go figure...

Next up for Everton if they retain is:
-Wolves a
-Newcastle h

If Stoke can do the business they will face:
-QPR a
-Bolton h

herbeer
2-5-12, 20:07
Everton retained the Shield after their 1-1 draw at the Brittania thanks to a Peter Crouch own goal (bad day for own goals.)

Everton shaded the game and were good for their result.

Matt-CM
2-5-12, 20:34
Could this all be leading to Moyes first trophy?

Cumbrian.
2-5-12, 20:35
Could this all be leading to Moyes first trophy?

herbeer
2-5-12, 20:38

He'll take it...

herbeer
6-5-12, 08:55
Everton look to become only the second team to successfully defend the Shield twice on two occasions this season, the other one being Liverpool.

Jelavic has been getting most of the headlines, and its hard to argue with his output to date. Not sure that I'd be marking him down as a long-term success just yet but he's certainly helped revitalise them

If they can defend it they will take the Shield to the last weekend of the season against Newcastle at Goodison.
Unbeaten in their last 5 in the league, and with the Old Golds having lost their last 5 at home they might think they have a shot.
To reinforce that confidence, this is Wolves fourth challenge, and they are yet to take the Shield...

next up for Wolves on the last day if they can pull off an upset is:
-Wigan (a)

PS: gutted about today

herbeer
7-5-12, 10:37
Wolves 0 EVERTON 0

Everton predictably dominated Wolves, lots of possession, 21 shots, a couple of disallowed goals, and some creative play from Pienaar, but were unable to get a breakthrough.

Anyway, they take the Shield forward to the last day, and a home clash with Newcastle...

herbeer
11-5-12, 08:56
WORLD SHIELD UPDATE:

The World Shield (as distinct from the Ranfurly Shield) came into existence in February 2012 when for the first time the Ranfurly Shield holders lost a competitive game to a team from outside the EPL, with Man U losing at OT to Ajax.

That spawned the "World shield" with the same rules as the Ranfurly Shield but without the EPL restriction. It might be an interesting road, the shield will move across countries and outside of the top divisions occasionally, as a result of cup upsets. Super Cup and World Club championship games will count so it could eventually move from Europe to South America.

I won't bother with the previews and score reports etc, will just give an occasional update about the whereabouts of the World Shield every now and then or if something interesting happens.

Latest:

Update - 11/05/12: - Ajax Amsterdam have successfully defended the World Shield no less than 12 times, and will keep it over summer. They scored 38 goals in the process, conceding only 5, and came from the pack to comfortably win Eredivisie. A nice club and team, glad to see them carrying the torch...

herbeer
13-5-12, 10:54
Everton take the Shield into the last game of the season at Goodison, against inaugural holders and Shield team-of the-year Newcastle.

In good form, unbeaten in their last five, and with two successful defences this time around Everton will fancy their chances but the Geordies still have a chance of CL football and will be in a state of frenzy come kickoff

With Jelavic and Cisse arguably the in-form strikers in the league it might turn into a good spectacle

Winner keeps the Shield for a couple of months...

herbeer
13-5-12, 19:57
The Blues scored the first 3 goals of the game and were deserved winners against a somewhat fading Newcastle team. Another goal for Jelavic, and a seventh placed finish make for a satisfying end to the year for Moyes' team.

I will post a couple of summary posts this week about the RS season and that will be it until fixture day...

Kloppette
13-5-12, 20:13
The Blues scored the first 3 goals of the game and were deserved winners against a somewhat fading Newcastle team. Another goal for Jelavic, and a seventh placed finish make for a satisfying end to the year for Moyes' team.

I will post a couple of summary posts this week about the RS season and that will be it until fixture day...

Everton !!! Ranfurly shield is about all they will ever win lol

Matt-CM
13-5-12, 20:13

Great work on this thread herbeer. I've really enjoyed following the Ranfurly Shield and at last David Moyes has his trophy!

Kloppette
13-5-12, 20:39
Great work on this thread herbeer. I've really enjoyed following the Ranfurly Shield and at last David Moyes has his trophy!

I agree, I hope it is carried on next year.

herbeer
14-5-12, 02:08
I agree, I hope it is carried on next year.

Thx guys. And bank on it...

herbeer
20-5-12, 20:01
For the statfans....

13/8/11 NEWCASTLE 0 0 Arsenal (Inaugural challenge)
20/8/11 Sunderland 0 NEWCASTLE 1 (R Taylor)
28/8/11 NEWCASTLE 2 (Best 2) Fulham 1 (Dempsey)
12/9/11 Qpr 0 0 NEWCASTLE
17/9/11 A Villa 1 (Agbonlahor) NEWCASTLE 1 (Best)
24/9/11 NEWCASTLE 3 (Ba 3) Blackburn 1 (Hoilett)
1/10/11 Wolves 1 (Fletcher) NEWCASTLE 2 (Ba, Gutierrez)
16/10/11 NEWCASTLE 2 (Ba, Ameobi) Tottenham 2 (Van der Vaart, Defoe)
22/10/11 NEWCASTLE 1 (Cabaye) Wigan 0
26/10/11Blackburn 4 (Rochina, Yakubu, Pedersen, Givet) NEWCASTLE 3 (aet) [Carling Cup] (Guthrie, Cabaye, Lovenkrands)

29/10/11 Norwich 3 (Morison, B Johnson, Holt) BLACKBURN 3 (Hoilett, Yakubu, Samba)
5/11/11 BLACKBURN 0 Chelsea 1 (Lampard)

20/11/11 CHELSEA 1 (Sturridge) Liverpool 2 (Maxi, Johnson)

27/11/11 LIVERPOOL 1 (Lescott og) Man City 1 (Kompany)
29/11/11 Chelsea 0 LIVERPOOL 2 [Carling Cup] (Maxi, Kelly)
5/12/11 Fulham 1 (Dempsey) LIVERPOOL 0

10/12/11 Swansea 2 (Sinclair, Graham) FULHAM 0

17/12/11 Newcastle 0 SWANSEA 0
21/12/11 Everton 1 (Osman) SWANSEA 0

26/12/11 Sunderland 1 (Colbeck) EVERTON 1 (Baines pen)
1/1/12 Wba 0 EVERTON 1 (Anichebe)
4/1/12 EVERTON 1 (Howard) Bolton 2 (Ngog, Cahill)

14/1/12 BOLTON 0 Man U 3 (Scholes, Welbeck, Carrick)

22/1/12 Arsenal 1 (V Persie) MAN U 2 (Valencia, Welbeck)
28/1/12 LIVERPOOL 2 (Agger, Kuyt) Man U 1 (Park)

31/1/12 Wolves 0 LIVERPOOL 3 (Carroll, Bellamy, Kuyt)
6/2/12 LIVERPOOL 0 Tottenham 0
11/2/12 Man U 2 (Rooney 2) LIVERPOOL 1 (Suarez)

26/2/12 Norwich 1 (Holt) MAN U 2 (Scholes, Giggs)
4/3/12 Tottenham 1 (Defoe) MAN U 3 (Rooney, Young-2)
11/3/12 MAN U 2 (Rooney-2) Wba 0
18/3/12 Wolves 0 MAN U 5 (Evans, Valencia, Welbeck, Hernandez-2)
26/3/12 MAN U 1 (Rooney) Fulham 0
2/4/12 Blackburn 0 MAN U 2 (Valencia, Young)
8/4/12 MAN U 2 (Rooney, Scholes) Qpr 0
11/4/12 Wigan 1 (Maloney) MAN U 0

16/4/12 Arsenal 1 (Vermaelen) WIGAN 2 (Di Santo, Gomez)
21/4/12 Fulham 2 (Pogrebnyak, Senderos) WIGAN 1 (Boyce)

28/4/12 Everton 4 (Jelavic-2, Fellaini, Cahill) FULHAM 0

1/5/12 Stoke 1 (Jerome) EVERTON 1 (Crouch og)
6/05/12 Wolves 0 EVERTON 0
13/05/12 EVERTON 3 (Pienaar, Jelavic, Heitinga) Newcastle 1 (og)

End of season holders: EVERTON

herbeer
26-5-12, 00:59
Well the inaugural Shield season is complete, a good time to reflect on the happenings to date.

End-of-season holder – Everton

Number of holders: 10 – Newcastle, Blackburn, Chelsea, Liverpool (2), Fulham (2), Swansea, Everton (2), Bolton, Man U (2), Wigan

Most successful Shield defences (in a single tenure and in total):
Newcastle (9)

Next (total successful challenges):
Man U (8)
Everton (5)
Liverpool (4)

Biggest win: Everton 4-0 v FULHAM

Best goal: Tim Howard (Everton) v Bolton (http://soccer-portal.org/goal-of-the...-v-bolton.html )

Biggest upset to win the shield: Wigan v Man U (1-0)

Most goals:
7 - Rooney
5 - Demba Ba
3 - Leon Best, Welbeck, Valencia, Scholes, A Young, Jelavic

Most Challenges:
4 – Fulham, Wolves
3 - Arsenal, Blackburn, Tottenham, Newcastle

“Biggest” Shield challenge: Liverpool v Man U (FA Cup)

Also of note:

All teams got at least one challenge over the course of the season
More relegated teams have held the shield than teams from the top 3

….slowly getting its own history, roll on 2012-2013.

herbeer
18-6-12, 02:00
With the fixtures out this morning, who'll get first shot at Everton for the Shield. My guess? QPR at Loftus Road.
Ryan Nelsen as a kiwi would be keen to get his hands on the Shield

herbeer
18-6-12, 10:29
With the fixtures out this morning, who'll get first shot at Everton for the Shield. My guess? QPR at Loftus Road.
Ryan Nelsen as a kiwi would be keen to get his hands on the Shield

Answer - Man Utd at Goodison. A very tough opening for Everton, they'll need to work hard to add to their 2 successful defences from last year. United will be going for their third tenure with the shield, but if Everton can repel them, next up will be:
-A Villa (a)
-W.B.A (a)

If United win it it'll be:
-Fulham (h)
-Southampton (a)

herbeer
13-8-12, 10:06
So what have the toffees been up to in the run-up to their opening-day Shield defence against Man U at Goodsin?

Well pre-season results a bit mixed, 3 wins, 2 losses and a draw. No momentous wins, a decent home thrashing of AEK Athens the best of them, and a Naismith hat-trick the best of the individual efforts.

A Morecambe 4:1

A Dundee United 1:0

A Motherwell 1:1

A Blackpool 0:2

H AEK Athens 4:1

A Malaga 0:1

Transfer activity has been mopreoit than in, (no change there then) Rodwell out today, Yobo and Cahill out, both fairly near their used-by date. No major ins, Stephen Naismith from Rangers the best of them, Blues fans will be pleased to see Fellaini, Baines (so far) and Moyes still at Goodison.

So how will they do? Notoriously slow starters, so hoping that Everton can man-up this time round...

TheSoundLady
13-8-12, 10:18
Michael Owen will help them successfully defend the shield against United, then they'll find a way to pass it across Stanley Park. You heard it here first.

DiscoDjimi
13-8-12, 10:27
So what have the toffees been up to in the run-up to their opening-day Shield defence against Man U at Goodsin?

Well pre-season results a bit mixed, 3 wins, 2 losses and a draw. No momentous wins, a decent home thrashing of AEK Athens the best of them, and a Naismith hat-trick the best of the individual efforts.

A Morecambe 4:1

A Dundee United 1:0

A Motherwell 1:1

A Blackpool 0:2

H AEK Athens 4:1

A Malaga 0:1

Transfer activity has been mopreoit than in, (no change there then) Rodwell out today, Yobo and Cahill out, both fairly near their used-by date. No major ins, Stephen Naismith from Rangers the best of them, Blues fans will be pleased to see Fellaini, Baines (so far) and Moyes still at Goodison.

So how will they do? Notoriously slow starters, so hoping that Everton can man-up this time round...

My guess they will do like every year and end up somewhere between 7th and 9th, they are too good to get into a relegation scrap but certainly not good enough to really compete for a europa spot.

herbeer
16-8-12, 10:55
Predictions for the opening Shield game?

herbeer
20-8-12, 10:05
Tough start to say the least for Everton, they have done notoriously poorly against Man U, but there are signs over the last couple of years of getting past their inferiority complex a little. Van Persie will be keen to get out of the gates early, they certainly look potent with him and Rooney up front.

United will be the first team to have held the Shield three times if they can win at Goodison, Everton will he hoping they can mount their fourth defence of this tenure and take the Shield on a Birmingham tour...

if Everton can do that, next up is:
-A Villa (a)
-W.B.A (a)

If United win it it'll be:
-Fulham (h)
-Southampton (a)

herbeer
20-8-12, 22:13
Never been more delighted with an Everton win. Well in Fellaini and Toffees.

Next up is away to Villa

herbeer
25-8-12, 11:41
Everton start the first leg of their Shield tour of Birmingham at Villa Park.

A tricky one despite Villa's opening day loss to West Ham. Lambert is a clever and motivational manager, and I expect Villa to do OK over the next month and then improve.

Everton themselves have the chance to make an uncharacteristic great start to the season though after their win over Man U.
Everton are already the third most successful Shield team after Newcastle and Man U, with six successful defences over two tenures, including four not-out so far this time round.

Players to watch include Fellaini, Jelavic, Peinaar from Everton, and Bent from Villa. Moyes is yet to decide if new-boy Mirallas will be included.

If Everton retain the Shield, next up is:
-WBA (a)
-Newcastle (h)

If Villa get their hands on it for the first time, they'll face:
-Newcastle (a)
Swansea (h)

herbeer
25-8-12, 22:57
The Toffees dished out an old-fashioned thrashing in what was expected to be a close contest. Everton were 3-0 up at half-time and never in danger.
The goals came via a cracker from Pienaar, then Fellaini and Jelavic, with a 2nd-haf consolation from El Ahmadi after a Howard error.

Next up fro Everton is another trip to Birmingham to meet West Brom

herbeer
1-9-12, 20:24
The Baggies become the eleventh team to win the Ranfurly Shield, their 2-0 win over a previously red-hot Everton team maintaining their own good start to the season.

Goals in the last 25 minutes from Shane Long and Gareth McAuley gave them the win and the chance to defend the Shield against Fulham.

herbeer
16-9-12, 10:00
Fulham became the first team ever to hold the Shield three times after a great win over the weekend, sparked by Berbatov and an influencial ex-red, Kacaniklic. Up to 8th in the table, Martin Jol has them playing really well, (as were the Baggies.) Odemwingie lost the plot and deserves a slap... The Baggies fail to defend the Shield at all, and likewise Fulham have never done this so will be looking to put that right on Saturday.

herbeer
22-9-12, 09:10
Goal-happy Fulham look to defend the Shield for the first time in what will be their third attempt. If successful they'll become the first London club to do so. With ten goals this season, with Berbatov off to a flyer, and other in-form and dangerous players like Rodallega, Duff, Ruiz and Sidwell they will back themselves at the DW. Wigan themselves have a proud Shield history, relieving United of the Shield in the most unlikely result in Shield year 1.

Should Fulham manage to hold on next up for them will be:
-Man C (h)
-Southampton (a)

If Wigan can take the Shield then they will face:
-West Ham (a)
-Sunderland (a)

May the best team win...

herbeer
22-9-12, 23:55
Fulham retained the Shield for the first time, in a reasonably comfortable win at Wigan. Rodallega and Duff scored to have them leading 2 0 until the last few minutes. Fulham are now in the top four (for 24 hours at least, have the Shield and the most goals in the Premier League.

What's going on...!

herbeer
28-9-12, 22:02
Tough challenge for the Cottagers, but they bring good form into this match.

Berbatov is out which is a blow after his brilliant start for them but they still have match-winners in Ruiz, Duff and Rodallega. Man City have been below par so far this season , conceding in each game they've played, and have not won in the last four.

Any result would continue Fulham's great start to the season...

Next up for Fulham if they can hold off City are:
-Southampton (a)
-Aston Villa (h) [always challenging, never lifting the Shield...]

If City get up they'll face:
-Sunderland (h)
-W.B.A (a)

Kloppette
28-9-12, 22:08
Tough challenge for the Cottagers, but they bring good form into this match.

Berbatov is out which is a blow after his brilliant start for them but they still have match-winners in Ruiz, Duff and Rodallega. Man City have been below par so far this season , conceding in each game they've played, and have not won in the last four.

Any result would continue Fulham's great start to the season...

Next up for Fulham if they can hold off City are:
-Southampton (a)
-Aston Villa (h) [always challenging, never lifting the Shield...]

If City get up they'll face:
-Sunderland (h)
-W.B.A (a)

I have a feeling Fulham will retain the shield with a draw.

herbeer
29-9-12, 15:30
Fulham go one up...

herbeer
29-9-12, 17:02
Man City left it late, with Dzeko scoring an injury-time winner to lift the Shield for the first time.
They came from behind after losing an early goal, Aguero equalising amidst the 70% possession and 20 shots following Petric's penalty.

Next up for the blues is Sunderland at the Etihad

herbeer
6-10-12, 09:46
Man City open their Shield defence campaign at the Etihad against Sunderland.

The Black Cats have priors - they were the only team to get anything at City's home last year, the game ending 3-3 with City requiring 2 goals in the last five minutes to prevent Sunderland doing the double over them.

With Adam Johnson having a point to prove, and City off-song this might not be as comfortable as it first looks. As Aguero gets integrated back in though, City should get better soon, perhaps this weekend wil be the start of that

Next up for City if they retain are:
-W.B.A a
-Swansea h

If Sunderland can win, they'll face:
-Newcastle h
-Stoke a

herbeer
6-10-12, 18:34
Routine win for City as they eased back into form, goals coming from Kolarov early, Aguero and Milner.

Next up City go to West Brom, who will try to win the Shield for the second time this season

SalahDressing
6-10-12, 18:39
Routine win for City as they eased back into form, goals coming from Kolarov early, Aguero and Milner.

Next up City go to West Brom, who will try to win the Shield for the second time this season

I think City will hold onto it for a while, got some easier games coming up.

herbeer
8-10-12, 18:23
Hi all,

I would like to add something to the thread by asking someone to "sponsor" each winner of the Shield that manages to retain it at least once. No major committment required just the odd prediction, comment on result or perspective on that club. I think that will be interesting to readers, I'll still do my updates too

I know Man City are a bit hard to love for some, but they just defended the Shield, and did deprive United of #20, anyone prepared to be Man City's "champion" whilst they hold the Shield this time round...?

herbeer
9-10-12, 09:27
Any takers...

Eloader
9-10-12, 10:31
Any takers...

Everyone hates Manchester. :D

herbeer
9-10-12, 18:41
Good point. I 'll try again when someone more appropriate gets their hands on the Shield...!!

herbeer
20-10-12, 10:13
Man City look to continue their form improvement and retain the Shield at the Hawthorns, where no team this year has come away unbeaten in the Premier League. A tough game for them after the international break though they will fancy their chances.

Silva will be missing, though I've seen worse replacements around than Nasri.

Next up if Man City retain will be:
-Swansea h
-West Ham a

If West Brom can get up, they'll face:
-Newcastle a
-Southampton h

Can Steve Clarke get his hands on the Shield for the second time...?

herbeer
20-10-12, 21:45
Man City came from a goal and a man down after Milner was sent off in the first half, scoring twice late in the game to win 2-1 thanks to a brace from substitute Dzeko.

City's Shield run is starting to look a little ominous, two defences under the belt, with Swansea and Westham up next

herbeer
26-10-12, 20:32
City will be hot favourites to retain the Shield despite their poor performance in losing at Ajax, and questions over Mancini's tactics and support from key players.

Swanse'a Michu is still on a roll, with 6 Premier League goals already highlighting the danger he poses.
Swansea held the Shield once last year, but will do very well to make it #2 today. Lets hope they do, as Liverpool loom...

Next up for City if they retain are:
-WestHam a
-Tottenham h

If Swansea win, they'll face:
-Liverpool a
-Chelsea h

herbeer
27-10-12, 20:52
A lackadaisical win for Man city, lit up by a great Tevez goal. City and Tevez in particular were much improved in the 2nd half after a timid first.
Next up a tough away game at West Ham

-Lucas--Leiva-
27-10-12, 21:05
Love this thread, keep it up herbeer!

herbeer
28-10-12, 02:01
Thx LL, always good to get some feedback :scarf

Am keen for the Reds to get a challenge, its been a while...

ForzaAdorjan
28-10-12, 02:50
Thx LL, always good to get some feedback :scarf

Am keen for the Reds to get a challenge, its been a while...

Great idea, it makes the premier league have at least two good fixtures every week :D

herbeer
3-11-12, 09:29
City face a tough task going to the Boleyn to face a Westham team smarting after their away loss to Wigan.

City's season has seemed ready to take a turn in one direction or the other, and it hasn't happened yet. A result either way in this game might give us a clue which way its going to go.
Westham have made a very secure start, especially at hime, and look like being safe quite early in the season.

There's penty of talent on show with City's stars including supersub Dzeko, averaging a goal every 55 minutes, as well as Aguero, Tevez and Silva.
WestHam boast Andy Carroll, Noble, Diame and Winston Reid, the kiwi who has been winning lots of plaudits this year.

Next up for City if they hold is:
-Tottenham h
-A Villa h

If West Ham can grab the Shield for the first time, they'll face:
-Shield legends Newcastle a
-Stoke h

Predictions....?

herbeer
3-11-12, 22:08
Not the best 90-minute investment of time I've made in my life. What did we learn:

-Mancini took a bit of a chance with his team and got away with it
-Nolan's disallowed goal should have stood
-Man City dominated the game after the first twenty or so
-Hart was class as always
-Nastasic looks the goods
-Ballotelli looked lively enough, but missed the best chance to win it and had another minor hissy when subbed off
-Tevez busy as always
-Dzeko will head back to the subs bench
-Very little from Nasri or the midfield creatively in general
-Benayoun had a good game, as did Winston Reid

Next up, Tottenham...

herbeer
11-11-12, 08:24
Interesting one this, two teams struggling a bit. City are still unbeaten, and it's hard to bet against them at home but they just aren't right and haven't been since the start of the system, as evidenced by the fact they have scored 18 goals, just half the amount they had scrored at this time last year.

Tottenham are coming off a Barry Crocker at home to Wigan, but with their Old Trafford victory still fairly recent in their memories.

If City win, next they'll face:
-A Villa (h)
-Chelsea (a)

If Tottenham get up to win the Shield for the first time, they will face:
-Arsenal (a)
-West Ham (h)
-Liverpool (h)

herbeer
12-11-12, 01:48
City came back from 1-0 down with 25 mins left, through goals by Aguero and supersub.
Tottenham continue their chequered Ranfurly Shield career.

Next up is Villa at the Etihad. A gimme?

herbeer
16-11-12, 19:53
City face serial-Ranfurly-challenge-losers Aston Villa is what's widely (and wisely?) considered a foregone conclusion.
With Benteke and Bent they do have striking talent if they can get them the ball in the right positions, and I just can't help thinking that Lambert will have them turn the corner at some stage and they will come very good.

Then the road gets a bit tougher. Next up for City assuming they prevail is:
-Chelsea (a)
-Wigan (a)

If Villa can post a shock they'll face:
-Arsenal (h)
-Reading (h)

herbeer
17-11-12, 17:56
OK, so this was not the day Villa started to come good. A couple each from Aguero and Tevez, one from Silva. Equals the largest ever Ranfurly Shield victory, some momentum for City to take into the away game against Chelsea next week

herbeer
22-11-12, 20:21
Can Rafa win the Shield?

herbeer
24-11-12, 20:03
City have been quietly putting together a really significant Shield tenure. Whilst they've been largely unimpressive, they now have 6 successful defences in this their first time with the Shield, and threaten to run themselves into form after overwhelming Villa last week.

If City can hold firm in this difficult test they will equal the second most prolific tenure, and be just two shy of equalling Newcastle's inaugural and record-setting run of nine defences.

Chelsea meanwhile are in turmoil, but they are nothing if not interesting times. Rafa's first few weeks will be pivotal. It will be interesting to see how his Chelsea sets up. They will be sure to apply more focus to their defending, but retain some highly creative attacking players. I think we might see Ramires over Obi Mikel, one of Oscar/Hazard taking a role on the bench (probably Oscar), and Luiz also getting some well deserved bench time.

This should be full of intrigue, I must say I'm leaning toward the darker blue...

Next up if Man City retain are:
-Wigan (a)
-Everton (h)
then Man Utd at Etihad to set a new record of successful defences if they can get through those...

If Chelsea win they'll face:
-Fulham (h)
-West Ham (a)

herbeer
25-11-12, 20:32
A day for nil nils, but not a day for Rafa to receive adulation ( to say the least), interesting times ahead...

A pretty tight and even match, with City in the ascendancy in the first half, but Chelsea doing better in the second. Chelsea's poor Shield record continues, next up for City is Wigan away. Can Wigan make it a pair of Shield upsets against the Manchester clubs...?

herbeer
28-11-12, 09:26
Hard to see Wigan preventing City from rolling on, though they were very fluid in attack last time out v Reading.
Man City seem to have settled down a bit and could be on the improve.

Next up if City retain are:
-Everton (h)
-Man U (h)

tough for a couple of home games...

If Wigan pull off a surprise they'll face:
-Newcastle (a)
-QPR (h)

those would be fun but I won't hold my breath

and our poor reds are still awaiting their first challenge of the season...

herbeer
29-11-12, 20:25
City won a tight one, for their eighth successful defence, which makes it the next-best tenure after Newcastle's epic inaugural tenure.
City can equal the Geordies if they win or draw at home to Everton, and make it the best ever in the next game at home to Man United. Should be a couple of good ones, and if they get thru those it could be hard to get it off them.

Balotelli and Milner scored the goals today, both late as is City's way.
In their 8 defences to date City have scored 15 scored and conceded just a remarkable 2. So much for a team supposedly out of form.