PDA

View Full Version : Why Aquilani the artist makes a mockery of our memories

baglanboy
9-8-11, 14:40
I like this article:

THERE is a mantra which swirls around English football these days, one of those phrases that has been repeated often enough to make itself a truth.

It pays no heed to evidence, requires no proof. It simply is. It has always been.

It goes like this: you can only win the Premier League title if you attack; recklessly, ceaselessly, pouring forward like a gusting wind, swarming into the opposition half with wild abandon, forgetting defensive duties, dirty things, and caring for nought but the adrenaline punch, that zesty kick, flying at the opposing goal gives you.

That is how you win titles, the refrain goes.

It is nonsense, of course, but it is a nonsense which explains football’s most enduring hypocrisy. The reason we think it is impossible to win titles in any other way than the most blood-pumping, fist-clenching manner possible is because we have forgotten all of those teams who ground their way to victory, who remembered that football is not theatre or art; it is not an attempt to entertain, but an endeavour to win.

Football is business; not as sponsors or corporates or TV executives see it – that is too crude, too base – but it is like any other business in that each company’s aim is primacy.

But that does not appeal to sport’s nostalgia, and so we forget that for years, Italian sides dominated European football with a system named after a padlock because its great tactical innovation was playing, effectively, a sweeper and two centre-backs.

Fine, we say: you can win in Europe with such cynicism, but in England, never. This is the land of blood and glory, of thunder and fire, and here you must attack.

George Graham’s Arsenal, of course, were a famously exciting side to watch. Likewise Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea. And, though few fans would admit it, many of those teams from Liverpool’s heyday, those sides who racked up the titles and the cups and who conquered Europe. They were efficient, not attractive. That was a by-product, if it was a product at all.

All were teams built not to be admired but to be victorious. We remember the victories as numbers alone, occasionally lionising one of the men deemed to have forged them, masterminded them. All else is forgotten. Individual games enter the collective consciousness, but often more for circumstance, for drama, than for aesthetic appeal.

And we remember the exceptions. We remember Kenny Dalglish’s team of 1987/88, the best ever to have graced this country. We are more likely to remember the heroic failure of Arsene Wenger’s sides than the success of Graham’s. That is what fans are. Idealists.

But there is a beauty in the other side, the dark side. There is a dangerous fascination with brutal, bloodthirsty, cynical ruthlessness. There is a forbidden pleasure in seeing a team absolve itself of ideals and simply set out to win. There is beauty in that, too. We just do not like to admit it.

But it manifests itself, and possibly in England more than in any other country. It manifests itself in the language of football – all of it, from midfield combat upwards, synonymous, evocative of war – and it manifests itself in our assessment of players.

Take Alberto Aquilani.

Alberto Aquilani is a footballing aesthete. He possesses more style, more grace, than any other Liverpool player. He caresses a ball to bring it under his spell. He arcs his leg, twists his back, a model of human motion, to play a pass.

He moves, constantly, and he tries things he ought not to do. He ignores that mantra of childhood – if in doubt, kick it out – and he attempts to dazzle, to entertain. He looks like a footballer. He does the things footballers enjoy doing, and he boasts that rare vision to do it. He is fragile, yes, and that is a substantial drawback in his line of work, but it is a fragility that should be indulged. Cherished, almost.

And yet listen to what happens when Alberto Aquilani plays. A simple pass: nothing. A clever reverse ball: a ripple of appreciation. A ducked tackle: a wail of discontent, blood-curdling screams questioning his manhood.

That is football’s great hypocrisy, English football’s great hypocrisy.

Our minds, as fans, crave only beauty, and elegance, and ingenuity. Our hearts, our souls, want nothing but the dark arts. We will tolerate an artist, as long as, when he is not at his easel, he gets stuck in.

We want warrior-poets. In that order. That is why Aquilani will be hounded from the Premier League, caricatured as a failure. Because he is too much poet, too little warrior. He is the sort of player that makes a mockery of our memories, of our collective wisdom. You can only attack to win titles? Nonsense.

You have to get stuck in, first.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2011/08/why-aquilani-the-artist-makes-a-mockery-of-our-memories/

-tattybojangles-
9-8-11, 14:42
I like

Chickenliver
9-8-11, 14:45
Poor Aqua! I mean that, he's a wonderful player and one of the best footballers our club has, but he will be sold because he doesn't fit English football :(

When will we ever learn?

BoDiddley
9-8-11, 14:45
Waffle for me I'm afraid

BoDiddley
9-8-11, 14:48
Poor Aqua! I mean that, he's a wonderful player and one of the best footballers our club has, but he will be sold because he doesn't fit English football :(

When will we ever learn?

He isn't being sold because he doesn't fit English football. The article is crap

In fact he isn't being sold at all because nobody wants to buy him, in England or anywhere else for that matter

RedRob67
9-8-11, 14:51
He isn't being sold because he doesn't fit English football. The article is crap

In fact he isn't being sold at all because nobody wants to buy him, in England or anywhere else for that matter

Aw c´mon he isnt being sold coz we dont want to sell him

baglanboy
9-8-11, 14:52

I'd take this "That is why Aquilani will be hounded from the Premier League, caricatured as a failure. Because he is too much poet, too little warrior." over your blind faith over Spearing and his (no pun intended) shortcomings. Just because a player runs a lot showing this alleged 'passion' does not negate the lack of technique and game intelligence we must require from our players.

IMHO of course!

Seanosdelgardo
9-8-11, 14:52

Apart from Milan Fiorentina and Juventus.......there;s a big difference between teams not wanting to buy him, and teams not wanting to pay what we want for him.

SweetSilverSeven
9-8-11, 14:57
I'd take this "That is why Aquilani will be hounded from the Premier League, caricatured as a failure. Because he is too much poet, too little warrior." over your blind faith over Spearing and his (no pun intended) shortcomings. Just because a player runs a lot showing this alleged 'passion' does not negate the lack of technique and game intelligence we must require from our players.

IMHO of course!

Aquilani and spearing play in different positions

Course I think we can do better in DM positions, but you're not gonna play Aqua in DM position are you

Spearing is almost a stop gap

RedBaros
9-8-11, 14:59
Waffle for me I'm afraid

A lot of waffle in there I agree.

Fair bit in here too :p

I-SEE-red-PEOPLE
9-8-11, 15:00
He has become so hugely over rated he will never live up to his own hype. He is a decent player with some nice skills that's all. I can't wrap my head around this adulation of him, where does it come from. Albert Riera showed glimpses of sheer class but when given enough opportunity it turns out it's not enough to just have skill. Aquilani will make good cameos but I don't see him as a star player.

baglanboy
9-8-11, 15:01
Aquilani and spearing play in different positions

Course I think we can do better in DM positions, but you're not gonna play Aqua in DM position are you

Spearing is almost a stop gap, for when Coady comes through IMO. And who knows, Flanno might get a chance there too

I was addressing Bo's almost religious zeal for Spearing at the expense of any other midfielder rather than comparing Aqua vs Spearing in a DM role.

I personally will always go technique & ability over a supposed 'passionate' player.

Fowi
9-8-11, 15:09
I don't think the English game asks you to get stuck in. They didn't ask that of Bergkamp, Zola, Pires and many others. The one thing English football doesn't tolerate is lack of "effectiveness". If you're a ball player you have to score and assist. The numbers have to be there. You can have a great first touch, pass the ball well and be elegant but if the bottom line doesn't show numbers you're dead.

If Aquilani is sold it won't be because he doesn't tackle much.

PrideOfPaisley
9-8-11, 15:11
Aquilani won't be sold because there is no club yet willing to meet our valuation of him.

YNWA.

RedInferno74
9-8-11, 15:26
The fact his incredibly annoying agent has gone quiet suggests he is indeed staying.

In a way I want him to stay here for this season and prove he can deliver over a full season, which can be good for all parties (meaning we could actually get decent money for him in January or next summer).

LucasAintDancin
9-8-11, 15:33
I don't think the English game asks you to get stuck in. They didn't ask that of Bergkamp, Zola, Pires and many others. The one thing English football doesn't tolerate is lack of "effectiveness". If you're a ball player you have to score and assist. The numbers have to be there. You can have a great first touch, pass the ball well and be elegant but if the bottom line doesn't show numbers you're dead.

I would be inclined to agree with this but there are so many examples of players who succeeded while there numbers did not look great, such as Modric or Alonso.

kopitecrash
9-8-11, 15:36
I think it is tremendously detrimental if he doesn't tackle properly - which can completely undermine the entire defensive structure of your side. While he is very good in the attacking sense I don't want us being exposed through the middle because he misses too many tackles - at the same time when he played in attack midfield against Valencia he was non-existent. Personally, I'd rather play Miereles there - who has the mobility and versatility a central attack mid player needs, which Aquilani didn't show.

That said, it's only pre-season. And I still want to keep Aquilani. I just don't think someone so essentially frail should be in our centre two.

LucasAintDancin
9-8-11, 15:39

I would be inclined to agree with this but there are so
Many examples of players who succeeded while there numbers did not look great, such as Modric or Alonso.

Shajan
9-8-11, 15:44

I have to agree with this but there are exceptions. Lucas for example doesn't boast the best passing stats, assist stats nor goals BUT his tackling stats are impressive so that makes your point even more valid.

But players like, for example, Alonso, didn't get many assist or goals or tackles. But he was the one who passed the player who gave the assist. Those things don't usually show up in stat reviews but we all still know how good he was, but that still falls under what you desribed as effectiveness so I guess you're still right :)

EDIT: LucasIsDancing was quicker than me.

Luises-Finger
9-8-11, 15:46
I don't think fans care what style of player a team member is, so long as it's effective and useful. So to that extent the author is wrong. We do care about effectivness - good enough for a title. If it's pleasing on the eye as well then all the better.

Arsenal fans are a proof of this I think. Lovely football and they love it but they're getting impatient. They want effective more than pretty.

I'd guess Liverpool fans want the same at this point - but once we get effective, we'll then want pretty as well. Least I will.

SweetSilverSeven
9-8-11, 15:47
I was addressing Bo's almost religious zeal for Spearing at the expense of any other midfielder rather than comparing Aqua vs Spearing in a DM role.

I personally will always go technique & ability over a supposed 'passionate' player.

So you don't think the attitude, the mentality and the character of a player is important?

Course it is! Coz if you're players don't have players with strong characters, you simply won't win anything, in under pressure situations when we make it to finals or head into a title run in. I'm not saying Aqua lacks this, but just a stating a point

Just look at the way UTD came from 2-0 down against City, and go on and win 3-2

For me, you need a bit of both. And if you're going for the title, of which the SQUAD is the most important, having players like spearing with the mentality that he has could be crucial. Someone who doesn't moan if he isn't starting, keeps his head down, keep working hard, and gives it his all when he does get his opportunities

All I meant before was, in the position spearing plays, I'm not expecting him to have the most amazing passing skills. He's decent at it, but his energy, athleticism, tackling are important attributes in his role to protect the back four. And at the end of the day, he is just a squad player

GottaWearShades
9-8-11, 15:52

Well it can hardly be on scores and assists, either, because he stacks up pretty well in what he has done for us in that department to date.

Amongst all the talk of who doesn't want to buy him and whether he is suited to the Prem, he's done pretty well for us when he has actually played.

I-see-Red talks about adulation but this is a guy who set up 5 goals in 45 minutes only to be panned by an ex-LFC player in the after match. I'm willing to bet that has never ever happened before.

MignoLetItBe
9-8-11, 15:53
Far too wordy for my liking. It is good to have some eloquence in your writing but this stuff is OTT. Hence why I don't like that LFCTV columnist Kristian Walsh.

baglanboy
9-8-11, 15:59
So you don't think the attitude, the mentality and the character of a player is important?

Course it is! Coz if you're players don't have players with strong characters, you simply won't win anything, in under pressure situations when we make it to finals or head into a title run in. I'm not saying Aqua lacks this, but just a stating a point

Just look at the way UTD came from 2-0 down against City, and go on and win 3-2

For me, you need a bit of both. And if you're going for the title, of which the SQUAD is the most important, having players like spearing with the mentality that he has could be crucial. Someone who doesn't moan if he isn't starting, keeps his head down, keep working hard, and gives it his all when he does get his opportunities

All I meant before was, in the position spearing plays, I'm not expecting him to have the most amazing passing skills. He's decent at it, but his energy, athleticism, tackling are important attributes in his role to protect the back four. And at the end of the day, he is just a squad player

I agree with you, players need that mental strength - but having lived through the horror of Welsh rugby in the late 80's/90's and watching players playing purely because "They had passion" is something I dont want to see with Liverpool - players, you hope, have it all. That's what I was trying to say, very badly and not very eloquently obviously!!:rolleyes:.

TheWalkingRed
9-8-11, 16:00
Well he's a decent player but this Aquilani love-in is getting a tad ridiculous now.Was the article written by Mills & Boon?If he's stays the weight of expectation will be so immense he'll have to make Fabregas look like Poulsen to live up to it.I find it all a bit baffling.

Seanosdelgardo
9-8-11, 16:02
Far too wordy for my liking. It is good to have some eloquence in your writing but this stuff is OTT. Hence why I don't like that LFCTV columnist Kristian Walsh.

Its being wordy for the sake of it to try and act intelligent, when most of the time, if its a spade, calling it a spade will do.

Fowi
9-8-11, 16:05
I have to agree with this but there are exceptions. Lucas for example doesn't boast the best passing stats, assist stats nor goals BUT his tackling stats are impressive so that makes your point even more valid.

But players like, for example, Alonso, didn't get many assist or goals or tackles. But he was the one who passed the player who gave the assist. Those things don't usually show up in stat reviews but we all still know how good he was, but that still falls under what you desribed as effectiveness so I guess you're still right :)

Yea, I agree with both of you. There are exceptions and thankfully so. I just think the English game is too much into stats and bottom lines. It's probably why Lucas is underrated and people question Modric.

goanirish
9-8-11, 16:05
Stopped reading after the initial B.S. "It goes like this......" as this is complete nonsense that i have never heard any respected football supporter state or bandy around. It is clearly wrong, lazy journalism that prevented me from going further.

Venks
9-8-11, 17:07

There is a stat called Key passes.

'Stim
9-8-11, 18:05
I won't hide the fact that I've criticised Alberto,I've voiced my frustration at his reluctance to resist a physical challenge whether in possession or an attempt to get possession,and questioned his will to get back & defend/generally roll his sleeves up & graft towards the cause,but I also have to add & I'm glad to add,there is no doubt that Alberto Aquilani-the Attacking Midfielder has some real impacting silky quality to him,he wants the ball,he wants players running off him so he can play them in and run off them in turn,there's an awful lot of good in Alberto's style & general play,but at the moment our Team in our League cannot afford such a "Luxury Player" that's lacking without the ball. If he was just slightly better at putting himself about & going after the game instead of waiting for the game to come to him,maybe he wouldn't go anonymous & quiet in games so often & I'd have much less concern with Alberto. So for me,this is the only aspect of his game that he needs to improve upon,which is more than achievable for him,it's an easier aspect to improve with,in my opinion. There are plenty of the "Grafter" type midfield players out there,who no matter how much they try,will never have the playmaking ability that Alberto currently possesses. I just plead,will & implore Alberto to not alter his passing game at all,but look to improve in his physical presence in a challenge,resilience in possession and get back & help break up opponents play,just more commitment. Look to what Jay Spearing does in his tenacity for example,even dear Xabi wouldn't shirk a challenge up against Mr Essien. Go for it Alberto adopt some toughness of past Liverpool Midfielders,if you can do this,you could become a Liverpool F.C. Legend.:scarf

Y.N.W.A.

Batchy123
9-8-11, 18:31
You can do both two words Steven Gerrard

Red-And-Proud
9-8-11, 18:51
Mourhinios Chelski side was exciting to watch? Really? How many 1-0 wins did they have?

keviv6
9-8-11, 19:12
This article is by someone who has never kicked a ball nevermind played football.. its not MORE important to get stuck in as they put it.. but you have to win the right to play your football first, to play football you need to win the ball and you dont win the ball shirking away from tackles.. all the greatest players in the world, from messi,ronaldo, totti, suarez,xavi,iniesta, etc etc.. they can all take a tackle.. they wont duck away.. yes some of them lie on the floor like they have been shot trying to get the opposition a card.. but they wont hide and will get tackled again .. You dont have to be john terry and make a living by simply putting your body on the line.. but you cant play professional football being a chicken.. yes in italy and spain you can get away with having a passenger in midfield in terms of DEFENSIVE DUTIES.. but in england its very very difficult.. Doesnt mean Aquilani wont adapt.. cesc started off being a cat and he adapted.. and with aquilani's pre season we ought to give him another chance.. but he cant be a great player in the premier league if he is scared to get tackled..

Mullerbugs
9-8-11, 19:57
Nasri, Schnieder and Moderic are hardly players that get stuck in, Aquilani is a decent footballer but unfortunately he was unfairly targeted as a scapegoat for the woes that were taking place at our football club. A target for the press as a way of ridiculing Rafas transfer policy and disliked by the fans as he was identified as being Alonsos replacement by the club and ofcourse it didn't work out immediately so god forbid he's given a real chance, injury free.

He's been one of our better players in pre season, if he were playing for someone else on that based alone you'd be you tubing him and screaming for us to buy him. Nasri, Schnieder, Moderic and Pastore are all 30 odd million players with as much chance of succceeding as he has so why not perserve for one season instead of giving him away for peanuts.

I sincerely hope he does a Lucas and turns it around.

Kloppette
9-8-11, 20:03
I'm female and an ex player, the stuff you I here from guys about it being a mans game blah blah blah, it was annoying.
Now I read this OP and I'm like whaaa, Football is a physical game the rules and regulations mean it is less rough than the past but its still supposed to be a physical game.
I'm not being funny but some people make it sound like a sport for complete wimps

He possesses more style, more grace, than any other Liverpool player. He caresses a ball to bring it under his spell. He arcs his leg, twists his back, a model of human motion, to play a pass.

Is this a homoerotic dream or a description of a footballer and since when did England be the only country to play physical football.

The OP is just pure Waffle and embarrassing as it isn't even accurate of Aquillani's ability, what league does he need to play in where a manager will appreciate his talents, not the womans league as the soft lad will get kicked off the park.

baglanboy
9-8-11, 21:01
Mourhinios Chelski side was exciting to watch? Really? How many 1-0 wins did they have?

I think you missed the irony there, its mentioned with GG's Arsenal side isnt it.

dreams-come-true
9-8-11, 21:03
Waffle for me I'm afraid

Hmmmm. Good imagery to me. I like it. And I think we can afford someone like that in our side to get us attacking in the best way possible. Even if the article says he is probably too much of a luxury and probably not made for the Premier League. I would risk it.

baglanboy
9-8-11, 21:04
Oh and for the loon that redded me for posting an article I thought was interesting

A: I didnt write it

B: Grow up or tell me why you redded me for posting it, dont hide behind the veil of anonymity!.

I thought it was a good piece, interesting, yes a bit flowery but interesting and I thought Id post it as this, apparently is a forum for debate.....allegedly.

-SilkySkills-
9-8-11, 21:04
overrated hype over a average player being hyped by the few and followed by the blind

GottaWearShades
9-8-11, 21:06
The OP is just pure Waffle and embarrassing as it isn't even accurate of Aquillani's ability, what league does he need to play in where a manager will appreciate his talents.

Ah, how about the Italian league, which has led to him nailing down a starting position in the national team?

not the womans league as the soft lad will get kicked off the park.

Course he would.

Snippes
9-8-11, 21:08
Easily one of the best articles I have ever seen here - yet it won't get as much pub here as other more worthless articles because people just don't want to hear the truth. But this article perfectly captures what I have thought and tried to say here a million times, at the risk of incurring the wrath of the "English foorball's great hypocrisy" as he puts it, brigade.

The only way you have a section of fans completely incapable of properly appreciating the graceful talent of a class player like Aquilani but then have those same people desperately hang on to the fantasy island where Jay Spearing's tenacity and work rate actually means he a whole heck of a lot for a club of this magnitude.

Its the same prisms from which on the one hand, Flannagan and Kelly's every crunching tackle at RB is greeted with a standing ovation, yet on other, play Glen Johnson at LB or sell him cause he can't defend very well from RB.

They are more or less the same folks who had to be goaded, pleaded with, begged, to look beyond the injuries and properly appreciate the world class talent that Xabi Alonso brought to the club, yet the same people would turn around and tell you Gareth Barry was fit to lace Alonso's boots - which was is and will always be pertently absurd.

I can tell you without even looking which posters on this forum would read this and immediately label it bushleague - bo diddley, graggy, naturalskill for example....and posters who might actually understand what the author is talking about - am guessing Fowi, Em, Lucasisdancing among some others. Its interesting watching how you can have fans of the same side looking at the team/players/the game from such distinct vantage points am guessing as a result of the fact that we are by-products of how we were raised to appreciate/watch/love this game.

Fantastic article...Aquilani is the perfect illustration of the" English football's great hypocrisy" - by the way, great phrase!

dreams-come-true
9-8-11, 21:19
I've said it a few times on here that we weren't always great. We ground out wins at the expense of pass and move. It wouldn't surprise me if it happens again under Kenny this time round. But we also did play pass and move quite a few times. And when we did, there were not just the tough tackling McMahons of this world, there was also a John Barnes and a Beardsley. OK. They might have be individually tougher than Aquilani is now, but they weren't known as being tough tacklers.
No. We didn't always used to win 5-0 against the Nottingham Forests of this world, nor against Everton ..... we used to also win 1-0 and close up to the end. But we still won. (I will have to look up the stats for those years now I suppose...... Yeah shame I didn't before I wrote this eh?) And yeah ... we won League Titles doing it.
I still think we can afford someone like Aquilani. He would do great with the quality we have in this side at the moment. Think about the positives and not always about the negatives. Which I dont think outweigh anything.

BoDiddley
9-8-11, 21:21
I'm female and an ex player, the stuff you I here from guys about it being a mans game blah blah blah, it was annoying.
Now I read this OP and I'm like whaaa, Football is a physical game the rules and regulations mean it is less rough than the past but its still supposed to be a physical game.
I'm not being funny but some people make it sound like a sport for complete wimps

Is this a homoerotic dream or a description of a footballer and since when did England be the only country to play physical football.

The OP is just pure Waffle and embarrassing as it isn't even accurate of Aquillani's ability, what league does he need to play in where a manager will appreciate his talents, not the womans league as the soft lad will get kicked off the park.

On the button
You have risen several notches - go straight to the boot room - do not pass GO

SomeKloppo
9-8-11, 21:24
Oh and for the loon that redded me for posting an article I thought was interesting

A: I didnt write it

B: Grow up or tell me why you redded me for posting it, dont hide behind the veil of anonymity!.

I thought it was a good piece, interesting, yes a bit flowery but interesting and I thought Id post it as this, apparently is a forum for debate.....allegedly.

I'm repping you because i think it's a brilliant article. Thanks for posting.

'Stim
10-8-11, 00:28

Is this a homoerotic dream or a description of a footballer and since when did England be the only country to play physical football.The OP is just pure Waffle and embarrassing as it isn't even accurate of Aquillani's ability, what league does he need to play in where a manager will appreciate his talents, not the womans league as the soft lad will get kicked off the park.

:D Ha ha ha! Alberto does need to harden up a bit that's for sure.
As a Liverpool Fan since the 70's I have come to expect any player from any position to be more than willing to get stuck in,I'm not asking for Graeme Souness/Steve McMahon X10 or anything like that,but I do expect whoever-in this case Alberto Aquilani to go in search of the game to get himself involved,and I do realise the ball will bypass our midfield more often & go out to the side with Stewart to bomb on,but this is even more reason why Alberto should get himself involved more & get stuck in. If he fails to even try, just having the right length hair,will not be enough to get into a Women's Team either.

Fowi
10-8-11, 00:57
Now I read this OP and I'm like whaaa

You go, girlfriend.

Liverdinner
10-8-11, 01:02

He'd rip you all to shreds.

'Stim
10-8-11, 01:11
He'd rip you all to shreds.

I'm not so sure to be honest! :D

Liverdinner
10-8-11, 01:11
I'm not so sure to be honest! :D

You don't think Aqua would rip up the women's teams?

They're horrific.

HadiaLFC92
10-8-11, 01:36
All I know is it looks like he has a squad number (Had the #15 with Aquilani on the back) so hopefully he's staying :scarf

He has the ability to unlock defences. The thing I think relates most to the current situation is the question:

If he doesn't get stuck in as much as he should, can we afford to have that 'sneijder-esque' player that sits and waits for an attack?

IMO I think we can, we have enough quality about us behind the CAM role to cater for a player like Il Principino.

:scarf

At the end of the day you can discuss as much as you like. We can pretend that we do but I doubt we know more than those who are actually coaching and managing the players - After all, there's a reason why they get paid.

Warbi
10-8-11, 01:54
Article is hilarious. However, Aquilani made more tackles than any other Juve midfielder last season. He also averaged more tackles & interceptions per game than Spearing.

Venks
10-8-11, 04:55
overrated hype over a average player being hyped by the few and followed by the blind

Your username kind of contradicts what you say. :D

Danny IngsBred
10-8-11, 13:13
I think Aquaman is a another great asset to the team. The broader types of players and increased depth should be welcomed by all fans, doesn't matter if you like their style or not.

tonylet
10-8-11, 13:22
I don't want to get into a debate if Aquillani should stay or go. If Kenny wants him or not. Or if he wants to stay or go.

Only thing I want to say is that Aquillani knows how to get stuck in and I've seen him do it. For me it's utter ****** that people talk as if he is afraid of a tackle only because didn't go into a few 2 season ago. Without mentioning he was back from a long long injury. I've seen Gerrard afraid of a tackle after he has come back from an injury. Torres. Everyone does it.

The boy is a proper midfielder and knows how to defend. I hope he stays and proves everyone wrong just like Lucas did.

Then we'll see what he offers in attack and we'll together make him MOM at every opportunity.

radders33
10-8-11, 13:50
I want Aquilani to stay and think he'll do well, but the article in the OP is going WAY over the top.

It's ironic that it complains about generalisations that people make, yet that is exactly what the article is doing by generalising everyone's opinions, making out he is the only one who can see what Aquilani has to offer

Mabsy
5-6-12, 00:15

In fact he isn't being sold at all because nobody wants to buy him, in England or anywhere else for that matterhe played for ac milan in the CL, and they dont want to take him only cos he is a crock! i dont think charlie adam or spearing would play for ac milan or juventus, and they're fully fit.

i think it is true he didnt geta chance to settle in, and became a reluctant harry kewell. tbh, i dont think harry wanted to spend 4 years in hospital either!

RedKite
5-6-12, 10:16
Aquilani won't be sold because there is no club yet willing to meet our valuation of him.
YNWA.

Our valuation means the price we ask. Eventually he will probably go for less.

MiraclesArePossible
5-6-12, 10:17
he played for ac milan in the CL, and they dont want to take him only cos he is a crock! i dont think charlie adam or spearing would play for ac milan or juventus, and they're fully fit.

i think it is true he didnt geta chance to settle in, and became a reluctant harry kewell. tbh, i dont think harry wanted to spend 4 years in hospital either!

They didn't take him because they got Montolivo on a free.

DiscoDjimi
5-6-12, 10:20
I will never understand this Aquilani saga, how we cannot seemingly give him away for free.

I'd be willing to give him another shot myself, rather him than Joe ******* Cole the lazy ****.

MiraclesArePossible
5-6-12, 10:23
I will never understand this Aquilani saga, how we cannot seemingly give him away for free.

I'd be willing to give him another shot myself, rather him than Joe ******* Cole the lazy ****.

He's been the victim of circumstance a couple of times - did very well for Juve then a new manager came in and decided to play a system that he wouldn't work in. Did well for Milan but they decided not to complete the transfer as they had the option of a similar player for nothing. He's a very good player and I hope he gets his chance in the team, he'd certainly improve us.

KeemI
5-6-12, 10:32
He's been the victim of circumstance a couple of times - did very well for Juve then a new manager came in and decided to play a system that he wouldn't work in. Did well for Milan but they decided not to complete the transfer as they had the option of a similar player for nothing. He's a very good player and I hope he gets his chance in the team, he'd certainly improve us.

Stop speaking sense.

MiraclesArePossible
5-6-12, 10:33
Stop speaking sense.

Sorry mate, I just can't help myself.

Fowi
5-6-12, 10:35
It is quite inexplicable how he can't get a game at Liverpool while the likes of Spearing and Henderson play every week. He's 27 and will be 28 this summer. He has spent the last two seasons playing for Juventus and Milan. OK, he hasn't been brilliant but he's been quite decent. If he can be decent for top teams in Italy then why can't he get a game for a mid table team in England? He seems fit enough to play and I really don't think it's about not settling in England.

The only explanation is if he has told everybody at the club to **** off.

MiraclesArePossible
5-6-12, 10:39
It is quite inexplicable how he can't get a game at Liverpool while the likes of Spearing and Henderson play every week. He's 27 and will be 28 this summer. He has spent the last two seasons playing for Juventus and Milan. OK, he hasn't been brilliant but he's been quite decent. If he can be decent for top teams in Italy then why can't he get a game for a mid table team in England? He seems fit enough to play and I really don't think it's about not settling in England.The only explanation is if he has told everybody at the club to **** off.

I would have thought that was the obvious answer.

Fowi
5-6-12, 10:41
I would have thought that was the obvious answer.

But what does it mean? It has to be off the pitch because on it he's not been given a chance and in the few games he has played he's looked quite good. And if it is an off the pitch problem I really can't see why he or the club just wouldn't come out and say it. It's not like we're hoping for offers from English clubs.

MiraclesArePossible
5-6-12, 10:43
But what does it mean? It has to be off the pitch because on it he's not been given a chance and in the few games he has played he's looked quite good. And if it is an off the pitch problem I really can't see why he or the club just wouldn't come out and say it. It's not like we're hoping for offers from English clubs.

Indeed, he has looked good, and that's why I imagine it is an off the pitch problem. The fact that he's spent the past two seasons in Italy suggests to me he can't settle in England despite being a very creative midfielder who has shown flashes of brilliance in our team. Perhaps the club just want to respect his privacy by not telling everyone he can't settle down in the UK.

ElAlonso
5-6-12, 11:01
I don't agree with that article at all. If we had an entire team of Aquilanis then sure. You need a mixture.

-Cactus-
5-6-12, 11:24

Didn't Rodgers recently talk about Aqua struggling to settle? Tbh, if that's the case I'd be tempted to tell him to just get over it and play for us, or else sign a two-year deal on massively reduced wages so we can ship him off to Italy for good.

He looked happy enough last pre-season so maybe he'd be happy playing for us if he were just guaranteed a fair bit of game time. Then again, maybe he was just happy because he knew he'd be loaned out to Milan...

ElAlonso
5-6-12, 11:34
And yet listen to what happens when Alberto Aquilani plays. A simple pass: nothing. A clever reverse ball: a ripple of appreciation. A ducked tackle: a wail of discontent, blood-curdling screams questioning his manhood.

Our minds, as fans, crave only beauty, and elegance, and ingenuity. Our hearts, our souls, want nothing but the dark arts. We will tolerate an artist, as long as, when he is not at his easel, he gets stuck in.

We want warrior-poets. In that order. That is why Aquilani will be hounded from the Premier League, caricatured as a failure. Because he is too much poet, too little warrior. He is the sort of player that makes a mockery of our memories, of our collective wisdom. You can only attack to win titles? Nonsense.

You have to get stuck in, first.[/I]

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2011/08/why-aquilani-the-artist-makes-a-mockery-of-our-memories/

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/video/premier-league/liverpool-vs-portsmouth-2010-3-15-20-00-00/1716-lfcctv-aquilani-v-pompey

welshypool
5-6-12, 11:44
I think its clear isn't it?

The manager has said he's struggled to settle in England, previous manager's here and abroad all have passed on him after working with him daily. Tells you all you need to.

I don't quite buy this he was unlucky at Juve thing either. They changed their system yes when he was doing ok, just ok mind you, but he obviously wasn't able to adapt or again not rated highly enough but yet another manager to fit that system.

If he's an answer and can do a top job for the team, I'd love it, anything for the team improving but if history is anything to go by, won't happen

ElAlonso
5-6-12, 11:56
I think its clear isn't it?

The manager has said he's struggled to settle in England, previous manager's here and abroad all have passed on him after working with him daily. Tells you all you need to.

I don't quite buy this he was unlucky at Juve thing either. They changed their system yes when he was doing ok, just ok mind you, but he obviously wasn't able to adapt or again not rated highly enough but yet another manager to fit that system.

If he's an answer and can do a top job for the team, I'd love it, anything for the team improving but if history is anything to go by, won't happen

The fact that he only played half a game less than was required for them to permanently sign him says something too.

welshypool
5-6-12, 12:05
The fact that he only played half a game less than was required for them to permanently sign him says something too.

Yes it does, he did them job but not one they valued quite enough unfortunately

SweetSilverSeven
5-6-12, 12:23
Under Rafa he had injury problems, and I also felt he didn't quite fit the "holding" role Rafa wanted (he's a bit more of a free spirit) which is why he chose Lucas/Mascherano together instead

Roy wanted to play a very defensive style, and Aqua didn't fit into that
Whilst he didn't suit Kenny's 4-4-1-1 system neither

Looking at the way Rodgers would like to play, I think he will suit it well - even if it's just for the short-term (not sure whether he can settle down long-term). I always felt Aqua's best fitted into a 4-3-3, rather than a 4-2-3-1, as he was not a holding midfield, nor a number 10 (nor a DM!). But Rodgers will want his team fit around both systems.

When we keeping possession and attacking, we will move in a more 4-3-3 formations (based on his idea on the 7 zones on the pitch). Both Aqua/Stevie (who I would like to play in the more attacking midfield roles in zone 5) have the ability to play defense-splitting passes, those throughballs, intricates passes, and create good movement.

That would allow us to become a very penetrative team. This is with Suarez on one wing, and hopefully we buy another quality wideman for the other side. We'll also need another striker.

Add this type of attack, to the possession-based team who can control the game to their command.... we can challenge for a Top 4 position.

We will drift into a 4-2-3-1 formation as a default system, mainly when we're in a comfortable lead. In that type of situation, I'll be comfortable with Aqua being in a deeper-holding role :)

First Choice Midfield...

==LUCAS==
GERRARD--AQUILANI

Second Choice Midfield...

==HENDERSON==
SUSO/TEIXEIRA--SHELVEY

-Cactus-
5-6-12, 12:31
Under Rafa he had injury problems, and I also felt he didn't quite fit the "holding" role Rafa wanted (he's a bit more of a free spirit) which is why he chose Lucas/Mascherano together instead

Roy wanted to play a very defensive style, and Aqua didn't fit into that
Whilst he didn't suit Kenny's 4-4-1-1 system

Looking at the way Rodgers would like to play, I think he will suit it well - even if it's just for the short-term (not sure whether he can settle down long-term). I always felt Aqua's best fitted into a 4-3-3, rather than a 4-2-3-1, as he was not a holding midfield, nor a number 10 (nor a DM!). But Rodgers will want his team fit around both systems.

When we keeping possession and attacking, we will move in a more 4-3-3 formations (based on his idea on the 7 zones on the pitch). Both Aqua/Stevie (who I would like to play in the more attacking midfield roles in zone 5) have the ability to play defense-splitting passes, those throughballs, intricates passes, and create good movement.

That would allow us to become a very penetrative team. This is with Suarez on one wing, and hopefully we buy another quality wideman for the other side. We'll also need another striker.

Add this type of attack, to the possession-based team who can control the game to their command.... we can challenge for a Top 4 position.

We will drift into a 4-2-3-1 formation as a default system, mainly when we're in a comfortable lead. In that type of situation, I'll be comfortable with Aqua being in a deeper-holding role :)

First Choice Midfield...

==LUCAS==
GERRARD--AQUILANI

Second Choice Midfield...

==HENDERSON==
SUSO/TEIXEIRA--SHELVEY

I'd be happy with those midfields!

MignoLetItBe
5-6-12, 12:33
Rodgers hadn't talked to him by the time he did that interview, he said that he assumed that Aquilani couldn't settle.

Luises-Finger
5-6-12, 12:45

When will we ever learn?

Apparently he doesn't suit italian football either. Two clubs now had the opportunity to land this 'wonderful warrior-poet' of a player. And yet ........

And I'm not saying we shouldn't give him another go. But just open your eyes ... 3 Liverpool managers and twol Italian clubs have had problems about bringing the guy in as a full-time member of the squad.

You're saying it's everyone else but him? He's got to be part of the problem. He has to change something about himself as well.

foreverred-1973
5-6-12, 12:46
:sleepy:

You forgot to mention, that nobody wants him, because Rafa bought him :IN:

SalahDressing
5-6-12, 12:50
Galliani: "Aquilani already has such a good contract with Liverpool (€4m per year), so why should he give that up?"

Galliani: "If Flamini stays, then the Aquilani-discussion is over. And if Flamini doesn't stay then somebody else could arrive."

Luises-Finger
5-6-12, 12:51

So what's he going to do to change his luck?

ElAlonso
5-6-12, 13:08
Yes it does, he did them job but not one they valued quite enough unfortunately

They had much better first choice midfielders than Henderson, Adam, Spearing and Shelvey.

Jaythered
5-6-12, 13:11
You can do both two words Steven Gerrard

This fact is lost on the majority of people. This is why I have always disliked the idea of players being DM's or AM's. To be a top flight CM (for me) means you can do both equally well. These are the players that should be sought out. Granted they are few and far between nowadays but that doesn't mean you should stop looking for them.

welshypool
5-6-12, 13:13
They had much better first choice midfielders than Henderson, Adam, Spearing and Shelvey.

I guess we'll have to see what Rodgers thinks and does.

Don;t get me wrong, I want any player who plays for this club or belongs to this club, to be a success.

History though is not with Aqua and he never seems to quite fit anywhere, so while he may be individually a better player than those you mention, whether he can fit our team is a different matter.

Luises-Finger
5-6-12, 13:18

And yet even so, managers keep finding problems bringing him on board. Nobody in the premiership seems to want to take him - on loan or otherwise. Itallian clubs seem to want him as a squad filler and no more than that.

Will one of you please explain WHY, if he's so good no one seems to want him? I mean I like what he did for us last pre-season. He looked really useful. But 5 managers have now not wanted him enough. And no one from the UK or abroad seems to want to take him on. We almost gave him away last season. What do they know that we don't?

One of you explain why that might be? Why no one want's him?

MiraclesArePossible
5-6-12, 13:20
And yet even so, managers keep finding problems bringing him on board. Nobody in the premiership seems to want to take him - on loan or otherwise. Itallian clubs seem to want him as a squad filler and no more than that.

Will one of you please explain WHY, if he's so good no one seems to want him? I mean I like what he did for us last pre-season. He looked really useful. But 5 managers have now not wanted him enough. And no one from the UK or abroad seems to want to take him on. We almost gave him away last season. What do they know that we don't?

One of you explain why that might be? Why no one want's him?

I explained that before.

Luises-Finger
5-6-12, 13:24
I explained that before.

I don't think so. You seem to put it down to bad luck/timing. There are lots of other clubs out there who aren't making a move for him. He doesn't seem wanted.

Whatever he has to offer is either not valued enough or he comes with baggage. I don't know. But they seem to know something.

RoflKloppter
5-6-12, 13:24
Can this sordid little saga come to a close already.

Sick of hearing his name.

MiraclesArePossible
5-6-12, 13:28
I don't think so. You seem to put it down to bad luck/timing. There are lots of other clubs out there who aren't making a move for him. He doesn't seem wanted.

Whatever he has to offer is either not valued enough or he comes with baggage. I don't know. But they seem to know something.

I'm not sure, considering Juve and Milan, two massive Italian teams, both gave him a chance I think they probably rated him. Juve wanted him until Conte came in and changed the system so that Aquilani couldn't fit into it, Milan took him on but had the option to sign Aquilani for 6 million or sign Montolivo for nothing.

KoppityKloppity
5-6-12, 13:30
I reckon hes a bit of a wuss really, hasn't he said previously that the PL was too rough and he was scared he might get injured.

Its his head that's the problem not his footballing ability, hes perfect for Italian football as he can fall over before being tackled.

Having said that hope he gets the chance to prove himself for us but i cant see it to be honest.

SweetSilverSeven
5-6-12, 13:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z30mR9cq4RA

Skip Bayless
5-6-12, 13:35
Why haven't we got rid of this coward yet?

MiraclesArePossible
5-6-12, 13:37
Why haven't we got rid of this coward yet?

What the hell? :FP:

Luises-Finger
5-6-12, 13:38
I'm not sure, considering Juve and Milan, two massive Italian teams, both gave him a chance I think they probably rated him. Juve wanted him until Conte came in and changed the system so that Aquilani couldn't fit into it, Milan took him on but had the option to sign Aquilani for 6 million or sign Montolivo for nothing.

I accept that. But what of all the other teams in Europe and England? Talent isn't usually that hard to shift. And he has looked gifted enough in previous pre-seasons. How come his loan/sales are to Italian clubs? Does he discount German/Spanish/French/Dutch? Good football in all those countries. Why has his talent been so hard to shed?

Something's not right in all of this and it's not just about our managers making bad decisions. There's more to it imo. Therefore it's unfair to keep beating up on previous club managers.

vecchio47toes
5-6-12, 13:38
he is a perfect example of why we haven't been successful for awhile. like you say, we prefer Spearing to Aquilani. it's why we have half our former team playing for 3 of the top clubs in europe while we keep reaching for players who will "die for the shirt"... keep saying we want this pass & move style of yesteryear, but when the players that can deliver it are sitting in our lap we ship them out over some weird british nonsense about toughness etc

we could work hard to figure out how to make aquilani be an integral part of our team... or we could just sit around and do nothing and hope maybe he comes good like we have been. i know which one makes more sense if we really want to 'win' again

JohnBarnesJnr
5-6-12, 13:39
Typically overwritten purple prose from Kristian Walsh again. Guff.

welshypool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z30mR9cq4RA

well that proves conclusively he is an incredible player............

just like this under rated great:

http://youtu.be/6xV0lJbz-KA

MiraclesArePossible
I accept that. But what of all the other teams in Europe and England? Talent isn't usually that hard to shift. And he has looked gifted enough in previous pre-seasons. How come his loan/sales are to Italian clubs? Does he discount German/Spanish/French/Dutch? Good football in all those countries. Why has his talent been so hard to shed?

Something's not right in all of this and it's not just about our managers making bad decisions. There's more to it imo. Therefore it's unfair to keep beating up on previous club managers.

The simple answer here is that he won't settle in a foreign country, and wants to play in Italy. Then when you narrow the big Italian clubs down, you see that they all have quite easily explicable reasons for not signing him. There's more evidence to say that than some unexplained, intangible sense of "something not right".

SweetSilverSeven
5-6-12, 13:40
This fact is lost on the majority of people. This is why I have always disliked the idea of players being DM's or AM's. To be a top flight CM (for me) means you can do both equally well. These are the players that should be sought out. Granted they are few and far between nowadays but that doesn't mean you should stop looking for them.

It's about having specialist players who are exceptionally good at particular role

Luckily, Gerrard is exceptionally good at that number 10 role where he just concentrates on the attacking creative-side
He plays better there, than as a box-to-box player, which disrupts the team shape

Let's have players in different parts of of the team doing fufilling their specialist role, contributing towards the teams success, rather than others being selfish and running around like headless chickens. The personnel you have within the team has to have balance also. Certain players will have defensive, creative, or attacking responsibilities (or a merge of two).

That's the most efficient way to do it

Alonso was creative player with defensive discipline. He may have not been an attacker, but he is exceptional at his specialist role.

slimman
5-6-12, 13:47
he is a perfect example of why we haven't been successful for awhile. like you say, we prefer Spearing to Aquilani. it's why we have half our former team playing for 3 of the top clubs in europe while we keep reaching for players who will "die for the shirt"... keep saying we want this pass & move style of yesteryear, but when the players that can deliver it are sitting in our lap we ship them out over some weird british nonsense about toughness etc

we could work hard to figure out how to make aquilani be an integral part of our team... or we could just sit around and do nothing and hope maybe he comes good like we have been. i know which one makes more sense if we really want to 'win' again

I couldn't agree more.

In fairness to the Aquilani situation, it had to do with not settling but then on the flip-side to that it's difficult to settle when you know the manager would rather pick someone else so why wouldn't he want to go back home.

It drives me mad that a genuine talent like Aquilani and someone we should try to get into the team gets overlooked because he doesn't "get stuck in enough". It's precisely this sort of attitude why the England team will continue to chase shadows to teams who can keep the ball and play the penetrating passes at the right times.

Luises-Finger
5-6-12, 13:50
The simple answer here is that he won't settle in a foreign country, and wants to play in Italy. Then when you narrow the big Italian clubs down, you see that they all have quite easily explicable reasons for not signing him. There's more evidence to say that than some unexplained, intangible sense of "something not right".

But that means he doesn't want to apply his trade in the UK and explains why previous LFC managers wouldn't bring him on board. Which is what I think is at the root of the problem. Yet previous LFC managers have been berrated for not keeping him playing for Liverpool. And the way this thread is going, so might BR if he doesn't some how magically get him to stay.

Personally I would like to see him given a go. But I'm expecting more of the same. I just want supporters on here to stop behaving as if our managers are too dumb to see the talent and just accept that there are probably other issues at play.

MiraclesArePossible
5-6-12, 13:51
But that means he doesn't want to apply his trade in the UK and explains why previous LFC managers wouldn't bring him on board. Which is what I think is at the root of the problem. Yet previous LFC managers have been berrated for not keeping him playing for Liverpool. And the way this thread is going, so might BR if he doesn't some how magically get him to stay.

Personally I would like to see him given a go. But I'm expecting more of the same. I just want supporters on here to stop behaving as if our managers are too dumb to see the talent and just accept that there are probably other issues at play.

I just realised, we actually agree on this. :D

welshypool
5-6-12, 13:51

Thats the crux of it for me, nicely put

GottaWearShades
5-6-12, 13:55

I only think that about one of our managers.

Luises-Finger
5-6-12, 13:56
I just realised, we actually agree on this. :D

:D. I guess I woke up feeling fiesty. (And no FIESTY IS not the wife's or any other persons name) :D

Luises-Finger
5-6-12, 13:59
I only think that about one of our managers.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

GottaWearShades
5-6-12, 14:01
It has to be off the pitch because on it he's not been given a chance and in the few games he has played he's looked quite good.

That's the frustration for me, and I think a lot of people. Before we ship out a player for peanuts who cost 18m, I'd like to see him given a proper chance on the pitch.

KoppityKloppity
5-6-12, 14:03
I couldn't agree more.

In fairness to the Aquilani situation, it had to do with not settling but then on the flip-side to that it's difficult to settle when you know the manager would rather pick someone else so why wouldn't he want to go back home.

It drives me mad that a genuine talent like Aquilani and someone we should try to get into the team gets overlooked because he doesn't "get stuck in enough". It's precisely this sort of attitude why the England team will continue to chase shadows to teams who can keep the ball and play the penetrating passes at the right times.

I don't think the problem is that he wont get stuck in, there's loads of players that don't in the PL and are successful, its more that he thinks the PL is a rough league and worries about getting injured, and this might be affecting him and managers might be picking up on it.
He has the talent and i still hope he gets a chance with us, even if its half a season to see if he can adapt to the PL.

Destry
5-6-12, 14:16
I like this article:

[I]THERE is a mantra which swirls around English football these days, one of those phrases that has been repeated often enough to make itself a truth.

It pays no heed to evidence, requires no proof. It simply is. It has always been.

It goes like this: you can only win the Premier League title if you attack; recklessly, ceaselessly, pouring forward like a gusting wind, swarming into the opposition half with wild abandon, forgetting defensive duties, dirty things, and caring for nought but the adrenaline punch, that zesty kick, flying at the opposing goal gives you.

/[/URL]

I like the Anfield Wrap but in this case the writer has created a strawman. I've never heard one person call for reckless, ceaseless attack. If as BR says, Aquilani might not be able to settle in the UK but if that's not the case he thinks him a talented, gifted player. He be a plus at LFC

InsomniacOlympics
5-6-12, 14:21
I think Aquilani hates England, he's desperate to get away.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
5-6-12, 14:22
It's a ridiculous article.

vecchio47toes
5-6-12, 15:11
I think Aquilani hates England, he's desperate to get away.

do you think Tevez or 95% of anyone prefers england to italy/spain/south america? probably not, at least not footballers with the means... you heard BR going on and on about how being the first choice was what made him change his mind. If BR calls up Aquaman and says listen dude I want you in my first team, with you we can win things, I love you man, blah blah...

SuperSpeedy
5-6-12, 15:36
Wages need trimming and he fits the bill, if he desperately wanted out the club would have told us like they did when others wanted out.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
5-6-12, 15:39
Wages need trimming

Again?

It's already been slashed considerably.

They need to spend more, not less.

Or realign their expectations accordingly.

Kellydoscope
5-6-12, 15:53
Again?

It's much more a case of needing to spend smarter than more or less. If Aquilani is on a bucketload and isn't in the manager's plans, then getting rid of him is the most sensible thing.

MickMackPaddyWack
5-6-12, 16:00
Waffle for me I'm afraid

probably because of all the words of more than 2 Syllables

snowkot
5-6-12, 17:02
Aqua with Suarez seems a no-brainer to me.

A midfielder who excels at distribution to a player whose first touch is impeccable. Do we have anyone - other than Stevie - who can distribute better than Aqua?

As for whether or not he can settle - who really knows?!? The only actual quotes from Aquilani himself about England have been positive. So nobody outside the club truly knows - it's all just conjecture.

Same as all the comments declaring him frail and injury prone - despite remaining healthy for the better part of the past 2 seasons.

Fact is - he looked fine off last year's friendly's. I'd like to see him at least get a fair chance to perform with us for real.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
5-6-12, 17:05
Same as all the comments declaring him frail and injury prone - despite remaining healthy for the better part of the past 2 seasons.

Missed two months of this season.

slimman
5-6-12, 17:19
I don't think the problem is that he wont get stuck in, there's loads of players that don't in the PL and are successful, its more that he thinks the PL is a rough league and worries about getting injured, and this might be affecting him and managers might be picking up on it.
He has the talent and i still hope he gets a chance with us, even if its half a season to see if he can adapt to the PL.

Yeah i couldn't agree more.

After spending 18 million on him it's absolutely criminal how he's been mis-managed and how we have mad a mess of this transfer and his career at this point. Would love to actually see him being given a genuine shot here. Actually tell him, you'll be staying in England and you'll get games, because when he did play he played pretty well IMO.

slimman
5-6-12, 17:20
Again?

:clap:

KingLuisNo7
5-6-12, 17:31
Aquilani is the player with that killer pass we are so desperately in need of.. Stick him in midfield infront of Gerrard and Lucas and watch him shine...

baglanboy
5-6-12, 17:37
Out of interest Rodgers, on the Talksport interview, says only that he "may have had an issue with settling", may being the operative word.

from my point of view, we saw for the brief moment how good Aquilani was in pre-season, even though we knew and he knew that he wasnt it Dalglish's plans. At the time a lot of people covered this up by saying it didnt matter that he was head and shoulders above the new buys at the time because "we were only playing part timers and the like" - my issue always was that if Downing & Adam et al couldnt look good against them then we had a problem, rather than Aquilani being it.

I hope he gets a shot, an honest to goodness shot at being in this team, I hope people are straight with him and all that, if not, the it's bye bye Alberto and sorry we messed you around so much!. Obviously that's just my POV on it all of course!!

johnamiri
5-6-12, 18:37
Rodgers likes players who press and can pass the ball. If Alberto comes back this summer Rodger will for sure have a look at him. It could well be that he sees something in him and can fit him in to his passing game. All will be revealed in the next 8 weeks or so

Ganymede
5-6-12, 18:38
Out of interest Rodgers, on the Talksport interview, says only that he "may have had an issue with settling", may being the operative word.

from my point of view, we saw for the brief moment how good Aquilani was in pre-season, even though we knew and he knew that he wasnt it Dalglish's plans. At the time a lot of people covered this up by saying it didnt matter that he was head and shoulders above the new buys at the time because "we were only playing part timers and the like" - my issue always was that if Downing & Adam et al couldnt look good against them then we had a problem, rather than Aquilani being it.

I hope he gets a shot, an honest to goodness shot at being in this team, I hope people are straight with him and all that, if not, the it's bye bye Alberto and sorry we messed you around so much!. Obviously that's just my POV on it all of course!!

We messed him around??

baglanboy
5-6-12, 21:13
We messed him around??

yeah I think we did.

A lot is made of Rafa not playing him but I've always thought that they waited until he was 100% fit before playing him> When we did, he was very good the end of that season. If Benitez had stayed, I believe he would have been a starter in the 10/11 season.

As it is, Hodgy came in and didnt fancy a creative player in the centre of the 442 he wanted to play so off he went to Juve, where he cannot have been to bad as his performances got him recalled to the national side.

He came back for another pre-season to find that whilst making noises that he would be given a fair crack, it was pretty obvious that he was a long choice behind some newly bought players and some other homegrown ones and that no matter what his form that pre-season, we were looking to get rid.

Now I'm not excusing the agent and his nonsense but bar the one time I think Aquilani said he'd like to stay in Italy ( which i believe he said in his first presser after signing for Milan, the second year he's been sent on loan by a club that plainly didnt want him) he's never ever come out and panned us as a team, a club, supporters, not a sound - yet plenty of supporters feel it right to bag a player that to me has done little wrong to the club and could , i feel, be a bit aggreived at his treatment.

But as I say, that's my take on it.

GottaWearShades
5-6-12, 21:15
yeah I think we did.

A lot is made of Rafa not playing him but I've always thought that they waited until he was 100% fit before playing him> When we did, he was very good the end of that season. If Benitez had stayed, I believe he would have been a starter in the 10/11 season.

As it is, Hodgy came in and didnt fancy a creative player in the centre of the 442 he wanted to play so off he went to Juve, where he cannot have been to bad as his performances got him recalled to the national side.

He came back for another pre-season to find that whilst making noises that he would be given a fair crack, it was pretty obvious that he was a long choice behind some newly bought players and some other homegrown ones and that no matter what his form that pre-season, we were looking to get rid.

Now I'm not excusing the agent and his nonsense but bar the one time I think Aquilani said he'd like to stay in Italy ( which i believe he said in his first presser after signing for Milan, the second year he's been sent on loan by a club that plainly didnt want him) he's never ever come out and panned us as a team, a club, supporters, not a sound - yet plenty of supporters feel it right to bag a player that to me has done little wrong to the club and could , i feel, be a bit aggreived at his treatment.

But as I say, that's my take on it.

And mine.

SureShanksRedemption
5-6-12, 21:19
I like this article:

[I]THERE is a mantra which swirls around English football these days, one of those phrases that has been repeated often enough to make itself a truth.

Haven't really heard many people say this 'mantra' to be honest. Most people talk about needing to have a decent defence but also accept that gambling on going for a win is generally worthwhile over a season, after all it is how many games that you don't win rather than how many you lose that can decide if you win the league or not (see Liverpool in 2008/09). Newcastle were all out attack in the mid 90s and the general feeling was that was never going to win a title as you need a solid base as well, so I don't really recognise this "mantra which swirls around English football these days" that you refer to :confused:

baglanboy
5-6-12, 21:24
Haven't really heard many people say this 'mantra' to be honest. Most people talk about needing to have a decent defence but also accept that gambling on going for a win is generally worthwhile over a season, after all it is how many games that you don't win rather than how many you lose that can decide if you win the league or not (see Liverpool in 2008/09). Newcastle were all out attack in the mid 90s and the general feeling was that was never going to win a title as you need a solid base as well, so I don't really recognise this "mantra which swirls around English football these days" that you refer to :confused:

Hmm maybe though Spurs are venerated by a lot of teh football media for having tactics of little more than attack attack. When I posted that near a year ago I liked the article and spoke of how footballers who posses intelligence are hounded far more than those who go flying into tackles and who seem to be "giving it all" so to speak.

BundyRed
5-6-12, 21:29
I wouldn't blame Aqua for wanting to go, he was already on the loosing side before he kicked the ball after being dubbed as Alonsos replacement.

What i find hilarious is that every one is so keen to right him off and he's never had a consistent run of games in the team. He's played just over a handful of games and i'll be surprised if he's ever had a run of starts yet you would have thought he was the worst player on the planet.

The treatment of this lad by the press is disgraceful and the waffle in the OP only highlights that. We don't know enough about him to judge him and in the games he played he wasn't obviously weak in the challenge or the cause of our defeats yet we have been consistently patient with the likes of Carroll and Adam, Hendo.

I can accept if a player is criticised given a proper chance but Aqua was made a target for other reasons, mainly because of the hatred of Rafa and unfortunatley it's stuck. I'd love nothing more than to see him come back and for Rodgers to give him the chance to show his qualities if only to stick two fingers up at the doubters and for the peanuts the likes of AC want to give us what would we loose.

KingLuisNo7
5-6-12, 21:32
I really do hope Rodgers gives him a season. He's a class act. The thought of him and Suarez linking up is mouth watering.

SureShanksRedemption
5-6-12, 21:32
Hmm maybe though Spurs are venerated by a lot of teh football media for having tactics of little more than attack attack. When I posted that near a year ago I liked the article and spoke of how footballers who posses intelligence are hounded far more than those who go flying into tackles and who seem to be "giving it all" so to speak.

I can see that baglanboy, a good example being 'Super Scottie' Parker who runs around in circles, chasing like a mad dog, whereas what England really need in midfield is someone who can put his foot on the ball and pick an intelligent pass, keeping possession (as much as I hate to say it), like Scholes or Carrick could offer

BundyRed
5-6-12, 21:49

I do think that defending is an something of an artform though. I love the aggressive nature of the game nothing stirrs up motivation than a well timed crunching tackle in a midfield battle or a last ditch tackle to prevent a goal. A show of skill but also domination, machoism probably at it's very best but in a battle it stirs up the mental and physcological aspect of the game.

As more new rulings come in tackling is almost becoming a lost art, now pretty much every tackle is scrutinised ie Gerrards recent one for England one but the basics haven't changed. To be a good tackle the timing has to be perfect and it's not an easy thing to get right.

I know personally i'm not impressed by bad tackling ,reckless tackling or just sheer thuggery. Tackling is an attribute which is highly under rated and so to see players execute well timed challenges to me is just as important, no doubt it shows courage bravery but skill and timing and understanding of the game as well so to suggest its not intelligence is somewhat blinded.

Defensive players that stand out possess intelligence in the ability to read the game well, positioning and timing. Knowing where to be at the right time and execute a perfectly timed challenge which could win or cost you the game believe me requires some form of intelligence, those who get it right are correctly appluaded but like any shot that hits the bar or post or where the keeper makes an outstanding save for every mistimed challenge they'll be those who appreciate the effort and intention.

Kloppette
6-6-12, 01:46
I like this article:

THERE is a mantra which swirls around English football these days, one of those phrases that has been repeated often enough to make itself a truth.

It is nonsense, of course, but it is a nonsense which explains football’s most enduring hypocrisy. The reason we think it is impossible to win titles in any other way than the most blood-pumping, fist-clenching manner possible is because we have forgotten all of those teams who ground their way to victory, who remembered that football is not theatre or art; it is not an attempt to entertain, but an endeavour to win.

Football is business; not as sponsors or corporates or TV executives see it – that is too crude, too base – but it is like any other business in that each company’s aim is primacy.

But that does not appeal to sport’s nostalgia, and so we forget that for years, Italian sides dominated European football with a system named after a padlock because its great tactical innovation was playing, effectively, a sweeper and two centre-backs.

Fine, we say: you can win in Europe with such cynicism, but in England, never. This is the land of blood and glory, of thunder and fire, and here you must attack.

George Graham’s Arsenal, of course, were a famously exciting side to watch. Likewise Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea. And, though few fans would admit it, many of those teams from Liverpool’s heyday, those sides who racked up the titles and the cups and who conquered Europe. They were efficient, not attractive. That was a by-product, if it was a product at all.

All were teams built not to be admired but to be victorious. We remember the victories as numbers alone, occasionally lionising one of the men deemed to have forged them, masterminded them. All else is forgotten. Individual games enter the collective consciousness, but often more for circumstance, for drama, than for aesthetic appeal.

And we remember the exceptions. We remember Kenny Dalglish’s team of 1987/88, the best ever to have graced this country. We are more likely to remember the heroic failure of Arsene Wenger’s sides than the success of Graham’s. That is what fans are. Idealists.

But there is a beauty in the other side, the dark side. There is a dangerous fascination with brutal, bloodthirsty, cynical ruthlessness. There is a forbidden pleasure in seeing a team absolve itself of ideals and simply set out to win. There is beauty in that, too. We just do not like to admit it.

But it manifests itself, and possibly in England more than in any other country. It manifests itself in the language of football – all of it, from midfield combat upwards, synonymous, evocative of war – and it manifests itself in our assessment of players.

Take Alberto Aquilani.

Alberto Aquilani is a footballing aesthete. He possesses more style, more grace, than any other Liverpool player. He caresses a ball to bring it under his spell. He arcs his leg, twists his back, a model of human motion, to play a pass.

He moves, constantly, and he tries things he ought not to do. He ignores that mantra of childhood – if in doubt, kick it out – and he attempts to dazzle, to entertain. He looks like a footballer. He does the things footballers enjoy doing, and he boasts that rare vision to do it. He is fragile, yes, and that is a substantial drawback in his line of work, but it is a fragility that should be indulged. Cherished, almost.

That is football’s great hypocrisy, English football’s great hypocrisy.

You have to get stuck in, first.

AGAIN !!!!!

What is it with Aqua, it happens almost once a week where someone writes about him and it includes something that is **** erotic.

Is Aqua a gay icon for straight men !!!

caresses a ball to bring it under his spell. He arcs his leg, twists his back, a model of human motion

Jeeeez, you could take that out of gay porno mag.

CorkDork
6-6-12, 02:55
He has become so hugely over rated he will never live up to his own hype. He is a decent player with some nice skills that's all. I can't wrap my head around this adulation of him, where does it come from. Albert Riera showed glimpses of sheer class but when given enough opportunity it turns out it's not enough to just have skill. Aquilani will make good cameos but I don't see him as a star player.

Name one game he played for Liverpool, when he wasn't the best player on the field. I've only seen him in about a dozen games in 2009/10 season, and another 6-7 pre-season games in the last two summers, but he didn't show "glimpses" - he was man of the match in at least half the games i've watched him in a red shirt. THAT is why most LFC fans are in complete ignorance as to why he hasn't been involved for the last two seasons. I would LOVE to see him get a full season. Look there's a reason the man that brought us Alonso, also picked aqua as his replacement.

jmbk27
6-6-12, 03:07
Name one game he played for Liverpool, when he wasn't the best player on the field. I've only seen him in about a dozen games in 2009/10 season, and another 6-7 pre-season games in the last two summers, but he didn't show "glimpses" - he was man of the match in at least half the games i've watched him in a red shirt. THAT is why most LFC fans are in complete ignorance as to why he hasn't been involved for the last two seasons. I would LOVE to see him get a full season. Look there's a reason the man that brought us Alonso, also picked aqua as his replacement.

This. He dominated the MOTM voting on the official site towards the end of the 09/10 season. Last 5 league games he started he was our MOTM in 3 of them and came 2nd in the other 2. What I remember noticing from back then was how much better we seemed to play as a team when he was on the pitch.

Kloppstachio
6-6-12, 03:49
While some of us do rate him, the article in the OP is way OTT. Its obvious that B-Rod will make a decision. If Aqua isn't here next season, that'll be 3 managers who didn't wish to keep him (Rafa would have kept him on). And if he's here come August, I'm confident he'll contribute as a creative midfield option.

And this annual summer saga of "will he, won't he" will come to an end in any case.

old-school
6-6-12, 04:47
I don't see the problem in playing this triangle.

Aquilani

Lucas Gerrard

DiscoDjimi
6-6-12, 04:49
I don't see the problem in playing this triangle.

Aquilani

Lucas Gerrard

That is an insanely good midfield, It would give the mancs a run for their money midfield wise tbh. Though Obviously not as great in depth.

old-school
6-6-12, 04:53
AGAIN !!!!!

What is it with Aqua, it happens almost once a week where someone writes about him and it includes something that is **** erotic.

Is Aqua a gay icon for straight men !!!

Jeeeez, you could take that out of gay porno mag.

haha so true. Stop it, you gay mofos

old-school
6-6-12, 04:58
That is an insanely good midfield, It would give the mancs a run for their money midfield wise tbh. Though Obviously not as great in depth.

Carroll

Suarez......................Bellamy
Aquilani

Lucas....... Gerrard

Without signing anyone!! that looks like a dangerous team. I honestly don't understand why King Kenny allowed Aqua and Cole to leave.

-Monk-
6-6-12, 07:31

Whenever he's played for us, he has been extremely effective.

GottaWearShades
6-6-12, 07:37
While some of us do rate him, the article in the OP is way OTT. Its obvious that B-Rod will make a decision. If Aqua isn't here next season, that'll be 3 managers who didn't wish to keep him (Rafa would have kept him on). And if he's here come August, I'm confident he'll contribute as a creative midfield option.

And this annual summer saga of "will he, won't he" will come to an end in any case.

I agree with all of this other than to say that we can hardly place much store in Hodgson's judgement while he was here, given he was 1 for 7 on transfers, and the 1 only lasted a season. IF KD and BT both let him go that will be enough for me.

Em-inLeam
6-6-12, 08:51
Carroll

Suarez......................Bellamy
Aquilani

Lucas....... Gerrard

Without signing anyone!! that looks like a dangerous team. I honestly don't understand why King Kenny allowed Aqua and Cole to leave.

I don't understand why he let Aquilani leave, but Joe Cole was another matter. Cole looked off the pace for us and to let him go wasn't a surprise.

TaylorL4
6-6-12, 11:31
Bring back aqua!!!!!!!!!!!!

GottaWearShades
6-6-12, 12:50
For what is worth I have a mate who is a mad Roma fan to the point of most things in his house being Roma colours. I finally asked him about Aquilani and was expecting him to say something like "ha, ha, we really saw you coming".

I'm summarising his response a bit as I don't think he meant to say Aqua has a problem with mussels, but basically he said that Aqua is not in fact a head-case but likely too conscious of the injuries that have blocked him (hence an understandable reluctance to play in the Prem - you would have thought we could have sussed that out before spending 18m).

On the plus side he compared him to "de Rossi with far better feet". So, get him back, hire a good shrink, play him when we need him, including off the bench against teams with buses, and let him sit out Stoke away.

Either that, or try to sell him back to Roma. Get Dave Whelan to say he's available and the fans to demand it.

Alpha Papa
6-6-12, 12:59
Milan don't want to part with £7m for a player in the peak of his career. That pretty much says all that I need to know.

stevensuarez
6-6-12, 13:05
Milan don't want to part with £7m for a player in the peak of his career. That pretty much says all that I need to know.

Two years in arow both clubs juventus and milain have been able to bring in two quality midfielders on a free

Ganymede
6-6-12, 13:09
Aqua has a problem with mussels

Is he allergic to seafood?

Alpha Papa
6-6-12, 13:28
Two years in arow both clubs juventus and milain have been able to bring in two quality midfielders on a free

That's pretty much irrelevant. If they'd wanted him they could have gone for him. Pirlo will give them 1-2 years and no re-sale. If Aqua was anything like as good as people claim he is, they could easily have got 2 years from him and sold him, age 29 for just as much.

GottaWearShades
6-6-12, 14:17
Is he allergic to seafood?

He meant muscles but maybe we are onto something.

RedMan69
6-6-12, 16:21
What has Aquilani ever done in a Liverpool shirt to suggest he is the answer to all our problems and such a great player? He's like Keyser Soze from The Usual Suspects - the myth just keeps becoming bigger.

Andyfagan
6-6-12, 16:24
What has Aquilani ever done in a Liverpool shirt to suggest he is the answer to all our problems and such a great player? He's like Keyser Soze from The Usual Suspects - the myth just keeps becoming bigger.

To be fair, on the rare occasions he's actually played for us he's looked an excellent player.

The problem is that you're probably talking about maybe 20 games, some of which were in pre-season.

stevensuarez
6-6-12, 16:41
That's pretty much irrelevant. If they'd wanted him they could have gone for him. Pirlo will give them 1-2 years and no re-sale. If Aqua was anything like as good as people claim he is, they could easily have got 2 years from him and sold him, age 29 for just as much.

So have aquilani for two years or pirlo for two years and still make no money either way as you suggest they would only make their money on aqua pirlo is the same even if he just retires

markusB
6-6-12, 18:00
Aquilani was another rolls royce of a player. I watched in games when very few of his team mates knew what he was going to do. Yes, because he thought like an artist, yes an artist. When he played with better players he looked better. Still remember the Portsmouth game, he really was quality. Yes, he needed to add to his phyiscallity to improve in the Premier League, and I'm hoping he comes back because you can see he's quality.

If he could adapt he's game, he would be a regular in the Italy national team. Not too sure if its too late for him to improve, but would love for things to work out in our side.

You don't have to knock someone over to close down, just look at some of the swansea players Joe Allen, Nathan Dyer, not the biggest or strongest, but they do their jobs well. So why can't Aquilani?

GottaWearShades
8-6-12, 11:50

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z30mR9cq4RA&feature=relmfu). There is a moment in "The Move' around the minute mark where instead of the obvious turn and pass to the wing he flicks it back to Gerrard - just look at where the defender is when he does that and where he is when the ball eventually goes to the wing. He is not the answer to all our problems but surely he would fit the the BR style and who doesn't enjoy watching him play.

Forget all the Milan this Pirlo that and just give him a run in the side - not much to lose.

NJNorm
8-6-12, 11:58
Waffle for me I'm afraid

Me too.

This great artistry of Aquilani when has anybody seen it? He never showed much at Liverpool even the odd time he was fit. Yes he was skilful but the OP talks of him like he was a Platini or Zizu.
Aquilani is at his best decent not great not an artist but a decent midfield player. He does not excel in any league.