PDA

View Full Version : FSG's Expectations

Colorado_Red
11-8-11, 17:48
John Henry has been quoted as saying finishing outside the top 4 would be a major disappointment, and assuming Enrique goes through, it's clear that the money keeps on coming.

My question is, just how disappointed are they going to be and what action, if any, do you think they might take? How ruthless do you think they may become if targets are not met?

Realistically, with the emergence of Man City, there are now 5 teams who could IMO equally make a claim to the top 4 and CL football as a 'minimum requirement' (6 if you want to include Spurs. I don't) so there is always going to be at least 1 team that misses out.

With all the money spent so far this summer, and I still for some reason have a feeling there will be more, just how are FSG going to react, potentially and hypothetically, to finishing outside the top 4, not just this year, but in following seasons to come?

danm77
11-8-11, 17:50
With all the money spent you would expect John Henry to say nothing less. There is more competition than ever for the top 4 places, but 4th HAS to be our absolute minimum target.

As to what action they would take if we finished 5th or 6th....it all depends on how far off 4th we finish if that happens. If we were very close then I cant see them sacking Kenny.

KennysScouseArmy
11-8-11, 17:50
Pointless speculating, we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully it won't be an issue, we'll have a good season if we narrowly miss out on top 4 they won't take any drastic action.

almino
11-8-11, 17:52
We need to adopt the mentality of one game at a time. I know we can't stop all speculation but this is the mentality that will allow us to succeed.

We'll see where we end up, but we give it our all each game and try to win.

PaddockBeanie
11-8-11, 17:52
With all the money spent you would expect John Henry to say nothing less. There is more competition than ever for the top 4 places, but 4th HAS to be our absolute minimum target.

To be fair, with the purchases made this summer.. we're streets ahead of Spurs and Arsenal now.. if they sell Nasri and Fabregas.

Why people aren't talking more about us is strange to me.

We're going to really push the current top 4 this year.. I think we're genuinely stronger than the Chavs too..

Gazza74
11-8-11, 17:54
I think they'd allow one season for Kenny maybe missing out on top 4, aslong as real progress is shown and we're not miles behind or something.

But they will only allow one, as Kenny's first full season, bedding in for new players, gelling, teething problems etc etc are taken into account.

I think we have everything in place to finish top 4 now to be honest and Kenny will be aiming for first place nevermind just top 4 and in doing that we'll probably have a good season and get one of the top 4 spots.

danm77
11-8-11, 17:54
To be fair, with the purchases made this summer.. we're streets ahead of Spurs and Arsenal now.. if they sell Nasri and Fabregas.

We're going to really push the current top 4 this year.. I think we're genuinely stronger than the Chavs too..

That could be a good thing. Let people underestimate us. The less pressure and the lower the expectations from outsiders, the better.

Colorado_Red
11-8-11, 17:59

As to what action they would take if we finished 5th or 6th....it all depends on how far off 4th we finish if that happens. If we were very close then I cant see them sacking Kenny.

To be honest, I can't see them ever sacking Kenny. If we were under-performing to the extent that was even being considered, I think Kenny would sooner step down anyway and say 'let someone else have a go'. He wouldn't be stubborn enough to cling on to the job if he genuinely thought he wasn't doing the business. He wants to see the club succeed above any individual success.

Completely agree that top 4 always has to be our minimum target, even without money spent, it should always be.

My point goes for the owners and managers of the other 4 teams too, I'm just really curious as to how they would/will each react to finishing outside the top 4, which is a distinct possibility for any of them.

RedXForever
11-8-11, 17:59
Sorry to say it, but Kenny would not even be thinking this. It is a good question, but a bit negative for me. We should concentrate on the current season, we have a lot to look forward to here and now. Such kind of thinking evolves from us not having won a title in a long time, plus the disastrous one year before Kenny arrived I think.

IMO, Kenny though he didn't say so, must be privately aiming for more than 4th. I don't think the King settles for less.

KennysScouseArmy
11-8-11, 18:00
Sorry to say it, but Kenny would not even be thinking this. It is a good question, but a bit negative for me. We should concentrate on the current season, we have a lot to look forward to here and now. Such kind of thinking evolves from us not having won a title in a long time, plus the disastrous one year before Kenny arrived I think.

IMO, Kenny though he didn't say so, must be privately aiming for more than 4th. I don't think the King settles for less.

He's got the approach of just taking each game as it comes and seeing where we end up.

slimman
11-8-11, 18:02

That's the last thing i really care about really.

We can only change people perception of us by going out there and doing the business.

It really is one game at a time and for me, It's all about Sunderland......even though i'm going to be missing the game for a golf tournament :FP:

RedXForever
11-8-11, 18:03
He's got the approach of just taking each game as it comes and seeing where we end up.

Yes very true, and in his own mind he will not aim for being 3rd, 4th or even 2nd best, although it is a tough ask.

Colorado_Red
11-8-11, 18:04

Apologies for it being a bit negative, reading it back now, I probably could have worded it slightly differently.

We've just gone from the years where the top 4 practically picked itself. Now there will always be at least one team that misses out, and I'm intrigued to see how that pans out for all teams involved, as 4th spot would be the minimum for all.

RedXForever
11-8-11, 18:06
Apologies for it being a bit negative, reading it back now, I probably could have worded it slightly differently.

We've just gone from the years where the top 4 practically picked itself. Now there will always be at least one team that misses out, and I'm intrigued to see how that pans out for all teams involved, as 4th spot would be the minimum for all.

No apologies necessary mate it is a fair point, I have had my doubts, I am just saying that with Kenny being so positive and the owners supporting him so much, we have a lot to look forward to.

LLS
11-8-11, 18:07
If we missed out on the top 4, I reckon Kenny will be the most disappointed, even angry, out of all Liverpool fans.

-SilkySkills-
11-8-11, 18:09
i think a top 4 finish is a fair ask of the man

Batteries
11-8-11, 18:10
I highly doubt FSG will sack a man who is loved and adored by all Liverpool supporters after one year..

There would be a major uproar.

TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel
11-8-11, 18:10
John Henry has been quoted as saying finishing outside the top 4 would be a major disappointment, and assuming Enrique goes through, it's clear that the money keeps on coming.

My question is, just how disappointed are they going to be and what action, if any, do you think they might take? How ruthless do you think they may become if targets are not met?

Realistically, with the emergence of Man City, there are now 5 teams who could IMO equally make a claim to the top 4 and CL football as a 'minimum requirement' (6 if you want to include Spurs. I don't) so there is always going to be at least 1 team that misses out.

With all the money spent so far this summer, and I still for some reason have a feeling there will be more, just how are FSG going to react, potentially and hypothetically, to finishing outside the top 4, not just this year, but in following seasons to come?

The thing is, is that the players bought are going to be around for 5 or 6 years, longer in the case of Henderson and Carroll.

Whilst it can be perceived as top 4 is a must, the squad is being rebuilt for longer than next season.

Saying that, I think we have bought really well and should expect a title challenge. :scarf

Colorado_Red
11-8-11, 18:24
No apologies necessary mate it is a fair point, I have had my doubts, I am just saying that with Kenny being so positive and the owners supporting him so much, we have a lot to look forward to.

Agreed. I have more genuine optimism this season, than I have had in a while.

MekizLFC
11-8-11, 18:27
I think there are now only 4 teams; Liverpool, Man Utd., Man City and Chelsea.

Arsenal, if they can't sufficiently replace Fabregas and Nasri (assuming they leave) will have weakened.
Spurs, haven't improved and haven't spend any money.

grenny158
11-8-11, 18:36
I think FSG have undoubtably kept their word, and have significantly strengthened our squad. They have a right to expect a minimum of 4th place this season, as do we the fans. I do not believe anyone in their right mind does not believe we have fantastic owners now.

What would happen if we do not achieve that is hard to say .. My genuine feeling is that it is a moot point - if Agger stays fit (or if Cahill / another quality CB is signed), not only will we make 4th, but we will challenge for the title.

We have incredible squad strength now when compared to last season, and I would go so far as to say that this is the best Liverpool first team, and squad, since Kenny last managed the club.

I have bet a significant sum on us making the top 4, and, as far as I am concerned, my money is safe.

BoDiddley
11-8-11, 19:19
I think they'd allow one season for Kenny maybe missing out on top 4, aslong as real progress in shown and we're not miles behind or something.

But they will only allow one, as Kenny's first full season, bedding in for new players, gelling, teething problems etc etc are taken into account.

I think we have everything in place to finish top 4 now to be honest and Kenny will be aiming for first place nevermind just top 4 and in doing that we'll probably have a good season and get one of the top 4 spots.

I'm with you here Gazza and I think of prime importance to FSG will be seeing a return on their not inconsiderable investment.

They will be expecting the majority of the new signings to be a success, from Carroll on.
If that is the case but there are other mitigating circumstances why we don't make top four, then I also believe that they will be supportive of Kenny

If half of them are flops though, or there's any **** like happened with Keane and Aquilani when they arrived here, then I think FSG will take a very dim view of it indeed.
In those circumstances I think Kenny would be shown the door along with Comolli

It isn't going to happen though is it
We are going to take the premier league by storm.
We are going to be explosive, and with due deference to the-las, wee Suarez will be THE DETONATOR !!!!

Alpha-kenny-wun
11-8-11, 19:41
We need to adopt the mentality of one game at a time. I know we can't stop all speculation but this is the mentality that will allow us to succeed.

We'll see where we end up, but we give it our all each game and try to win.

Someone's been watching too many Kenny press conferences!!!!

Colorado_Red
11-8-11, 21:09

:D

LiverpoolOne
11-8-11, 21:14
Please lets enjoy these joyous moments, and those that will follow when we starting winning games, before the 'what ifs'. It is going to be a great day at Anfield on Saturday and I for one cannot wait:scarf:scarf

Since January this club has simply been on the up and up. Long may it continue. YNWA

almino
12-8-11, 17:39

:D

:D Kenny in disguise ;) :scarf

Fowi
12-8-11, 17:47
Finish 5th and Kenny is gone. Then Rafa will come in and finish 6th. Then Roy will come back to steady the ship.

brummiered01
12-8-11, 17:53
We want to be in the CL, thye clubs aim is to win major trophies so its always going to be a major disappointment for anyone involved with the club if we don't get back in the CL.

I think his quote has been taken a bit out of context to be honest, with a few taking it to be a kind of threat to the manager thats its 4th place at worst or your job is on the line.

I don't think thats the case, I see it as the same comment any supporter of the club would say in that we want to be successful.

Kenny would have to have a season similar to Hodgsons for him to get the boot in my opinion.

RedXForever
12-8-11, 17:56
Finish 5th and Kenny is gone. Then Rafa will come in and finish 6th. Then Roy will come back to steady the ship.

:eek: That is a scary scenario. Really think if Suarez does what he has been doing, and someone else along the line has a good 4-5 months, we will finish 4th and with better luck, even higher.

Colorado_Red
16-5-12, 16:37
Well I guess I got my answer...

Gazza and BoDiddley got it pretty much spot on