PDA

View Full Version : 24 years ago today...

Darrren1
15-8-11, 18:19
Whenever I see the date August 15th, it always reminds me of that glorious hot day back in 1987 when we began our season at Highbury.

I was there that afternoon, to witness the debut of John Barnes and Peter Beardsley. It was also the first appearance of the new grey away kit, which many disliked, but has always been one of my favourites.

With Ian Rush now gone, there were big doubts about whether Liverpool could replace him. John Aldridge had arrived a few months earlier, but how well would he combine with the new boys Barnes and Beardsley?

Well we didn't have to wait too long for the answer. With less than 10 minutes gone, the three players all combined to create our first goal of the season. Beardsley with a menacing run to the edge of the left-hand side of the penalty area, layed it off for Barnes on the overlap and his first-time cross was headed home by Aldridge.

Arsenal did pull level through Davis, but in the dying minutes, Steve Nicol's fabulous looping header from the edge of the penalty area secured all three points for Liverpool.

It was to be the start of arguably our most entertaining season ever, as we swept everyone aside to win the title by April. The season was remarkable for so many reasons; it took 29 games before we suffered our first defeat, we beat Notts Forest 5-0 in a game dubbed the 'Match of the Century' and the BBC decided to run a Liverpool goal of the season competition instead of their normal one.

But it all began on that sunny afternoon at Highbury... 24 years ago today. :scarf

DiscoDjimi
15-8-11, 18:21
Different times for sure, lets hope the man responsible can make the same thing happen again. :scarf

LordJamieOfCarragher
15-8-11, 18:26
I was in Corfu on my first holiday without my parents, I think it's the longest I've gone without knowing a Liverpool result.

Darrren1
15-8-11, 18:27
I was in Corfu on my first holiday without my parents, I think it's the longest I've gone without knowing a Liverpool result.

We won 2-1.

SweetSilverSeven
15-8-11, 18:28
Let a new dynasty begin :scarf

LordJamieOfCarragher
15-8-11, 18:29
We won 2-1.

I know, just read your OP. :rolleyes:

SweetSilverSeven
15-8-11, 18:43
I know, just read your OP. :rolleyes:

You dopey so and so... :rolleyes:

Darrren1
15-8-11, 18:45
Im guessing LJOC must be about 41 then... just a few years older than me. :P

LiverpoolOne
15-8-11, 20:05
What would we give for season like that:D

26 league goals from Aldo in 36 starts!!

Boston-Sox
15-8-11, 20:31
ARSENAL V LIVERPOOL
LEAGUE DIVISION ONE
HIGHBURY STADIUM
15-8-1987

LIVERPOOL LINE-UP

1 Bruce Grobbelaar
2 Gary Gillespie
3 Barry Venison
4 Steve Nicol
5 Ronnie Whelan
6 Alan Hansen
7 Peter Beardsley (Paul Walsh)
8 John Aldridge
9 Craig Johnston
10 John Barnes
11 Steve McMahon

Won 2-1
Aldridge 9'
Nicol 88'

Att

From Kenny Dalglish's diary: "The sun shone at Highhury as we started the season and we knew we were in for a difficult game. Some people described this as our day of judgement in the aftermath of Ian Rush’s departure and the arrival of John Barnes, Peter Beardsley and John Aldridge, who had started only two previous senior games. It was nothing of the sort; although you could say that every day is a day of judgement in this game. It was simply the first match of another long and testing season and our only concern this afternoon was trying to win three points.

Talking of new players, Steve Nicol almost falls into that category. He played at left-back today for his first competitive match since before last Christmas, and when you welcome back someone after so long out of action it is almost akin to having a new player. It was certainly great from our viewpoint to have Steve available again because he can fill a number of positions and do a good job in each one.

Just nine minutes into the game we took the lead through John Aldridge, who beat John Lukic with a header after a move involving our two other new boys John Barnes, who supplied the cross, and Peter Beardsley. But Paul Davis headed Arsenal level just eight minutes later and, in all honesty, the game could have gone either way on a very warm afternoon.

It was still 1-1 with five minutes to go when we sent on Paul Walsh for Beardsley, who was feeling the effects of a couple of kicks he had received. With just three minutes left, Steve Nicol celebrated his return with a headed winner from the edge of the box after Tony Adams had headed away a Barnes free kick. Naturally, we are delighted to have started the season by collecting three points from a difficult away fixture but now, because of work to the Kop, we will have to wait a fortnight before our next First Division action."

Ad_Rock
15-8-11, 20:39
Im guessing LJOC must be about 41 then... just a few years older than me. :P

Old enough to be my dad.

Darrren1
16-8-11, 01:28
ARSENAL V LIVERPOOL
LEAGUE DIVISION ONE
HIGHBURY STADIUM
15-8-1987

LIVERPOOL LINE-UP

1 Bruce Grobbelaar
2 Gary Gillespie
3 Barry Venison
4 Steve Nicol
5 Ronnie Whelan
6 Alan Hansen
8 John Aldridge
9 Craig Johnston
10 John Barnes
11 Steve McMahon

Won 2-1
Aldridge 9'
Nicol 88'

Att

From Kenny Dalglish's diary: "The sun shone at Highhury as we started the season and we knew we were in for a difficult game. Some people described this as our day of judgement in the aftermath of Ian Rush’s departure and the arrival of John Barnes, Peter Beardsley and John Aldridge, who had started only two previous senior games. It was nothing of the sort; although you could say that every day is a day of judgement in this game. It was simply the first match of another long and testing season and our only concern this afternoon was trying to win three points.

Talking of new players, Steve Nicol almost falls into that category. He played at left-back today for his first competitive match since before last Christmas, and when you welcome back someone after so long out of action it is almost akin to having a new player. It was certainly great from our viewpoint to have Steve available again because he can fill a number of positions and do a good job in each one.

Just nine minutes into the game we took the lead through John Aldridge, who beat John Lukic with a header after a move involving our two other new boys John Barnes, who supplied the cross, and Peter Beardsley. But Paul Davis headed Arsenal level just eight minutes later and, in all honesty, the game could have gone either way on a very warm afternoon.

It was still 1-1 with five minutes to go when we sent on Paul Walsh for Beardsley, who was feeling the effects of a couple of kicks he had received. With just three minutes left, Steve Nicol celebrated his return with a headed winner from the edge of the box after Tony Adams had headed away a Barnes free kick. Naturally, we are delighted to have started the season by collecting three points from a difficult away fixture but now, because of work to the Kop, we will have to wait a fortnight before our next First Division action."

Kenny's report was almost as good as mine! :D

Snippes
16-8-11, 01:34
We won 2-1.

:D

Pedagogue
16-8-11, 01:41
T'wou;d be great if we had a repeat scenario this coming Saturday, with Carroll, Suarez and Downing replacing the original protagonists of Aldridge, Beardsley and Barnes?! :scarf:scarf:D:D;)

Darrren1
16-8-11, 01:49
T'wou;d be great if we had a repeat scenario this coming Saturday, with Carroll, Suarez and Downing replacing the original protagonists of Aldridge, Beardsley and Barnes?! :scarf:scarf:D:D;)

Sounds good. Flanno can get the looping header to win the game at the end...

Darrren1
15-8-12, 12:35
It's 25 years now - the silver anniversary of this classic match.

LordJamieOfCarragher
15-8-12, 13:00

Was just about to reply to this with 'SO WAS I' then I realised it was me who posted it! :FP:

Darrren1
15-8-12, 13:14
Was just about to reply to this with 'SO WAS I' then I realised it was me who posted it! :FP:

:D Brilliant!

I cant believe you've managed to go 25 years without knowing the score. Are you planning on watching the DVD later?

redhoops
15-8-12, 13:20
loved our 2-0 there,again opening day,i think 83? ish.

kenny hit a cracking second,top corner in the rather lovely yellow away strip.

redhoops
15-8-12, 13:20

bumping old threads.... tut tut.

grenny158
15-8-12, 13:45
I remember it well also .. it was my birthday and, as you said, was the beginning of arguably the best individual season in our long history. You could actually see, sense, feel something special happening that day.

FistofRage
15-8-12, 13:47

probably just about sobering up from Corfu :D

Skip Bayless
15-8-12, 13:47
Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play?

grenny158
15-8-12, 13:51
Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play?

Nah .. that was 20 years ago today.

NJNorm
15-8-12, 14:15
61 years ago today I was born. Still waiting to make my debut.

grenny158
15-8-12, 14:59
61 years ago today I was born. Still waiting to make my debut.

Seriously, Norm?? We share a birthday, bud .. happy birthday to you! Hope you are having a great day. Isn't it great to always have your birthday in the week the new season starts? I have always used it as a marker for that.

NJNorm
15-8-12, 15:56
Happy Birthday Grenny.
Yes it is great having the Birthday at this time. Spent many Birthdays as a teenager travelling to watch the reds seems Burnley was a favourite team for hte first game. Trip over to Turf moor a short run.
remember Tommy Smith scaring the SH1 T out of Leighton James one year very fuuny watching a grown man trying to hide in an open field.

grenny158
15-8-12, 16:20
Happy Birthday Grenny.
Yes it is great having the Birthday at this time. Spent many Birthdays as a teenager travelling to watch the reds seems Burnley was a favourite team for hte first game. Trip over to Turf moor a short run.
remember Tommy Smith scaring the SH1 T out of Leighton James one year very fuuny watching a grown man trying to hide in an open field.

:D Must have been hysterical .. unfortunately, that was prior to TV in South Africa so never got to see much of Tommy Smith in action - aside from '74 FA Cup Final, 77 European Cup Final etc .. he was a monster though :)

Daymo68
15-8-12, 17:25
I was there that day on a hot sunny day. Just remember how great Barnsey was and Stevie Nicols header. Great times and that season will go down as one of my favourites. Went to every home game that year and around half the away games......memories :))

NJNorm
15-8-12, 17:31
:D Must have been hysterical .. unfortunately, that was prior to TV in South Africa so never got to see much of Tommy Smith in action - aside from '74 FA Cup Final, 77 European Cup Final etc .. he was a monster though :)

It was a face to face verbal tackle and James was petrified

Red-And-Proud
15-8-12, 17:37
Happy birthday Grenny and NJNorm :)

Have some rep

Rusty44
15-8-12, 17:37
But it all began on that sunny afternoon at Highbury... 24 years ago today. :scarf

Yes, I was also there that day, I remember it being a wonderful occasion.

NJNorm
15-8-12, 17:40
Happy birthday Grenny and NJNorm :)

Have some rep

Thank you and we need the rep the old stuff is getting tarnished

gliderman
15-8-12, 18:50
Whenever I see the date August 15th, it always reminds me of that glorious hot day back in 1987 when we began our season at Highbury.

I was there that afternoon, to witness the debut of John Barnes and Peter Beardsley. It was also the first appearance of the new grey away kit, which many disliked, but has always been one of my favourites.

With Ian Rush now gone, there were big doubts about whether Liverpool could replace him. John Aldridge had arrived a few months earlier, but how well would he combine with the new boys Barnes and Beardsley?

Well we didn't have to wait too long for the answer. With less than 10 minutes gone, the three players all combined to create our first goal of the season. Beardsley with a menacing run to the edge of the left-hand side of the penalty area, layed it off for Barnes on the overlap and his first-time cross was headed home by Aldridge.

Arsenal did pull level through Davis, but in the dying minutes, Steve Nicol's fabulous looping header from the edge of the penalty area secured all three points for Liverpool.

It was to be the start of arguably our most entertaining season ever, as we swept everyone aside to win the title by April. The season was remarkable for so many reasons; it took 29 games before we suffered our first defeat, we beat Notts Forest 5-0 in a game dubbed the 'Match of the Century' and the BBC decided to run a Liverpool goal of the season competition instead of their normal one.

I was there to and loved the grey kit.
Exciting times, lets hops Saturday is as good.

Darrren1
15-8-13, 01:51
26 years now.

Happy 'Barnes and Beardsley debut' day everyone.

TheSoundLady
15-8-13, 05:18
26 years now.

Happy 'Barnes and Beardsley debut' day everyone.

Good memories :D Good thread :D

KeemI
15-8-13, 05:27
HBD Grenny and Norm.

-Cactus-
15-8-13, 05:33
Good thread.

And happy birthday norm and grenny!

JezChambers
15-8-13, 07:35
What a line up that was! I loved watching us that season.

Ganymede
15-8-13, 08:30
12 years ago to the day since I lost my virginity. Good times.

Captain Mauser
15-8-13, 08:55

Aren't you 44? :confused:

RedGeezer85
15-8-13, 08:57

How the hell would you even remember what date you lost your virginity?

Captain Mauser
15-8-13, 09:05

His boyfriend has it circled on the kitchen calendar.

RedGeezer85
15-8-13, 09:08

Cumbrian.
15-8-13, 09:08

I lost mine on the same night Ray Houghton scored that goal for Ireland during the 1994 world cup.

TheSoundLady
15-8-13, 09:12
I lost mine on the same night Ray Houghton scored that goal for Ireland during the 1994 world cup.

My goodness! I remember that day well! It was the height of summer and all the Irish and Italians were out in full force in New York City's Giants Stadium, which is actually in New Jersey, or was before it was knocked down and rebuilt across the street.

He hit a beauty from distance and it sort of arced over Pagliuca who tried to punch it and couldn't reach it. Classic moment. Houghton was at Villa then I think, part of an ex-Liverpool contingent of Staunton, Saunders and Houghton.

The really freaky thing is, mine was during a world cup too.

TheSoundLady
15-8-13, 09:13

I hope it wasn't to an OOT.

RedGeezer85
15-8-13, 09:13
Mine was at a house party.

Classy

Carlton Facepalmer
15-8-13, 09:16

Well that rules something out.

grenny158
15-8-13, 09:25
Thanks for the birthday wishes :)

Happy birthday to NJNorm, wherever he is - haven't seen him here for a long time.

grenny158
15-8-13, 09:25

Cumbrian.
15-8-13, 09:39
Well that rules something out.

Not really.

grenny158
15-8-13, 09:41
What a line up that was! I loved watching us that season.

Best season as a Liverpool supporter ever. Not just because we won the league but because of the style of football that season. It was incredible, virtually every single game. That first game at Highbury was amazing, as Darrrren said.

Cymru.
15-8-13, 09:42

My goodness! I remember that day well!

partlydave
15-8-13, 09:49
Best season as a Liverpool supporter ever. Not just because we won the league but because of the style of football that season. It was incredible, virtually every single game. That first game at Highbury was amazing, as Darrrren said.

and this is universally acknowledged as the best performance :) I make no apologies for posting it, even though weve seen it loads of times before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WENYNmI5TfA

Cumbrian.
15-8-13, 09:59

Best night of her life.

JamesMjolnir
15-8-13, 10:44
The really freaky thing is, mine was during a world cup too.

They think it's all over... It is now!

Darrren1
15-8-13, 10:59
Well this thread took an unexpected turn...

TheSoundLady
15-8-13, 12:08
They think it's all over... It is now!

Are you suggesting it was 66? lol.

grenny158
15-8-13, 12:24
and this is universally acknowledged as the best performance :) I make no apologies for posting it, even though weve seen it loads of times before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WENYNmI5TfA

I don't even have to watch the vid to know which game it was - Nott Forest. Superb, especially considering they were amongst our main competitors at the time. Beardsley through ball to Aldridge (or was it Houghton? Through ball I can see - who it went to is not so clear :) ) is imprinted on my mind.

Ganymede
15-8-13, 13:08

It's easy.

JamesMjolnir
15-8-13, 13:39

Yes... And that it was over fairly quickly.

It's a two-in-one.

Darrren1
15-8-13, 15:02
The game was kicking off now.

26 years ago to the minute, John Barnes took his first touch for Liverpool. The first of 28,397 that he would go on to have.

JamesMjolnir
15-8-13, 15:04
The game was kicking off now.

26 years ago to the minute, John Barnes took his first touch for Liverpool. The first of 28,397 that he would go on to have.

Darrren1
15-8-13, 15:10
15:09

And there it is - Beardsley to Barnes, crossed for Aldridge - 1-0 Liverpool!

TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel
15-8-13, 15:13
I started reading the OP and thought, I'm sure I've read this before.......

:)

Carlton Facepalmer
15-8-13, 15:19
Not really.

Explain.

Cumbrian.
15-8-13, 16:33
Explain.

Just because I lost my virginity in 1994 it doesn't mean I didn't sleep with Ganymede when he lost his.

Darrren1
15-8-13, 16:37
Just because I lost my virginity in 1994 it doesn't mean I didn't sleep with Ganymede when he lost his.

It rules out the possibility of you losing your virginity to Ganymede though.

Mersey Dudek
15-8-13, 16:38

More like 69.

JamesMjolnir
15-8-13, 17:02
More like 69.

I don't remember that World Cup...

Darrren1
15-8-14, 04:34
It's now 27 years since that unforgettable afternoon at Highbury and the amazing season that followed.

Although I'm not sure I'd regard it as our most entertaining season anymore. Not after last year.

Happy 'Looping Nicol Header from the Edge of the Area' day everyone. :)

Kloppstachio
15-8-14, 04:55
It's now 27 years since that unforgettable afternoon at Highbury and the amazing season that followed.

Although I'm not sure I'd regard it as our most entertaining season anymore. Not after last year.

Happy 'Looping Nicol Header from the Edge of the Area' day everyone. :)

Lost our best striker in the off-season. Made some major signings. Won the League. Turn back the clock, Please !

Darrren1
14-8-15, 13:30
It will be 28 years tomorrow.

Hopefully we can repeat the score when we play Arsenal next week...

grenny158
14-8-15, 15:48
It will be 28 years tomorrow.

Hopefully we can repeat the score when we play Arsenal next week...

Amen to that. A long looping through ball from The Cout to Benteke for 1-0. An own goal by Mignolet (don't ask how, it is tragic) for 1-1. Then a fantastic team move with Firmino ending it off for 2-1.

Darrren1
14-8-15, 16:26
Amen to that. A long looping through ball from The Cout to Benteke for 1-0. An own goal by Mignolet (don't ask how, it is tragic) for 1-1. Then a fantastic team move with Firmino ending it off for 2-1.

Sounds good to me.

Oh and happy birthday for tomorrow :)

grenny158
14-8-15, 17:09
Sounds good to me.

Oh and happy birthday for tomorrow :)

Thanks Darrren1 .. happily, my son's 8th birthday was yesterday, and his birthday party is tomorrow, which takes all the attention off me, thankfully.

And yes, I would bite my own hand off for a 2-1 win away at the Emirates.

Darrren1
14-8-15, 18:41
Thanks Darrren1 .. happily, my son's 8th birthday was yesterday, and his birthday party is tomorrow, which takes all the attention off me, thankfully.

And yes, I would bite my own hand off for a 2-1 win away at the Emirates.

You should do something though - it's not every day you turn 75.

Would you really? That sounds quite painful and a tad unnecessary too. I mean, I can't imagine Wenger agreeing to throw the match in return for your severed hand.

Makes me wonder what you'd do for a win at Old Trafford next month...

redhoops
14-8-15, 23:18
ARSENAL V LIVERPOOL
LEAGUE DIVISION ONE
HIGHBURY STADIUM
15-8-1987

LIVERPOOL LINE-UP

1 Bruce Grobbelaar
2 Gary Gillespie
3 Barry Venison
4 Steve Nicol
5 Ronnie Whelan
6 Alan Hansen
8 John Aldridge
9 Craig Johnston
10 John Barnes
11 Steve McMahon

Won 2-1
Aldridge 9'
Nicol 88'

Att

My heart jumped there !!!! Sox is back !!!! :)

But no :(

tweepie
14-8-15, 23:26
My heart jumped there !!!! Sox is back !!!! :)

But no :(

We all miss the great Sox. :(

FistofRage
14-8-15, 23:52

Glory days with mesmerizing football - Beardsley, Barnes and Aldo - dream team

Shilu
15-8-15, 18:58
Note very carefully that there was no use of the word "I" or a need to explain how "fantastic" the players were or "how wonderful were my tactics" !

This is a very good reminder of how this wonderful football club operated on strong, sound values and principles and it was always about the "we" and the collective effort and always in a matter of fact, humbly stated manner......no self promoting PR, need for playing out an agenda in the public forum or dealing with victory, draw or defeat in volatile swings of the extreme......just the same plain, understated facts, the same enthusiastic embracing of that unique bond between a football club, its owners, its manager, it's players working, playing, willing to run through a wall because they knew what the football club meant to the true LFC supporters.

I venture that the people blessed with the opportunity to look after this club, play for this club, manage the players, "own" the business and others at all levels may wish to return to these simple values and principles. Take a look, read the press briefings, note how there was always respect and humility demonstrated by and between everyone at the club.

Most importantly there was an overwhelming understanding first and foremost that LFC represented the heartbeat of the ordinary people that supported it through good and bad, and nothing else was more important.

You only have to look back as recently as 2005 to see the manifestation of those principles, values and unique bond.

If there was nothing else the manager, the coaches, the players did to improve upon the last few years, then understanding, embracing and playing, acting and behaving with those sound principles and values will earn them the respect and unquestioned support / homage of the true supporters and most likely lead to the foundations of success that this wonderful football club was built upon and for so long enjoyed so much success on and off the field.

Try it...you'll be surprised how truly effective it will be

Defo-skitso
15-8-15, 21:23
Just look at that lineup :-(. And ray houghton was signed a few weeks later. Probably the best transfers over the summer ever that.

Aldridge, Barnes, Beardsley, Houghton.

:-(

Kloppette
16-8-15, 14:56
I remember thinking why is Ian Rush still here ??? and then realised it was Aldridge. I was also really excited about seeing John Barnes.

Darrren1
15-8-16, 11:29
29 years ago today. :)

I think it's fair to say we celebrated the occasion in style yesterday.

Also the 5th anniversary of this thread.

And Grenny is 83 today.

Red-And-Proud
15-8-16, 11:51
Happy Birthday grenny :scarf

Darrren1
15-8-17, 09:17
And so we reach the 30th anniversary of this glorious match.

Mane, Salah and Firmino are special - but I'd much rather have Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge back.

At the same age as they were back then obviously.

Nicol for Moreno would be a welcome swap too. :)