PDA

View Full Version : Now the transfer window is closed, just how much can we achieve this season?

shody1976
1-9-11, 09:34
Now that silly season is over again for a few months and the squad is looking in great shape, I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were as to what we can achieve this season. Although losing Raul at the last minute yesterday was disappointing, it's not the end of the world and we must trust Kenny's judgement on that one.

There's very little limit to what this squad can achieve. We have strength in depth in all key areas, have a lovely balance of different styles and strengths and most importantly, a selection of world-class performers who can turn a game on it's head at a moments notice.

Whilst most eyes will be on Old Toilet, Rancid Bridge and The City of Manchester Stadium, I see no reason why we can't sneak under the radar and compete with those teams for the title. There is little pressure on the players or staff at the moment which means we can get on with things out of the glare of the media spotlight.

TheKarlHeinzeRiddler
1-9-11, 09:36
I think 3rd place is achievable and more than acceptable, we've a lot of new players that need to settle in. I expect we'll get stronger as the Season progresses.

Fowi
1-9-11, 09:37
I don't our squad is all that, but I do think that Kenny has shown he can turn doodoo into hamburgers. He can probably squeeze more out of or players than some other manager.

LLS
1-9-11, 09:40
I think we'll be battling it out with Chelsea for 3rd to be honest. But we've got 7 out of 9 points so far, and haven't even gelled yet.

If we can keep putting points on the board and we're only 4-5 points off the top when our rivals go back into Europe around February, anything could happen with our squad hopefully settled, Gerrard fit, and the whole squad feeling fresh in comparison to the others. The likes of Suarez, Bellamy and Gerrard will be relishing such a fight too.

Think it might just be a step too far for now, but then again we have a bit of cash to spend in January if we feel we need reinforcements; for example Gary Cahill will be available on the cheap.

Whoever Kenny and Comolli have in mind for the number 10 shirt next summer could even be available in January depending on how their team's season progresses.

So I think for now we're heading to 3rd/4th, but if we stay efficient for now, and have a run in like 2008/09, we could conceivably run it close. Would need a fair few things to fall our way though.

:scarf

shody1976
1-9-11, 09:43
I don't our squad is all that, but I do think that Kenny has shown he can turn doodoo into hamburgers. He can probably squeeze more out of or players than some other manager.

Did you like my fake Gignac tweet in the ITK thread last night? That one was especially for you.

:D

Fowi
1-9-11, 09:43
Did you like my fake Gignac tweet in the ITK thread last night? That one was especially for you.

:D

It did look real. Thank God it wasn't.

pete752
1-9-11, 09:55
I think we are still in the hunt for 3rd with Chelsea and Arsenal running us pretty close too. We need to build some momentum and put some more daylight between ourselves and Arsenal going into Christmas..if we can do that, we'll be in pole position to take advantage of any slip ups from the manc clubs.

Not worried about spurs at all and I think they are not even going to be close to finishing in the top 4 this season.

Andyfagan
1-9-11, 09:57
Optimistically we should be looking at 3rd.

But top 4 is an absolute must. Then we'll see what kind of talent we can attract.

SirShankly
1-9-11, 10:17
Top 4 with what we have got it is a must but i think we are on the right path to be there :D

LiE
1-9-11, 10:19
3rd place is realistic and it can be better in case of a tight run-in.

ScotMercer
1-9-11, 10:21
Agreed. Third is very achievable and a good reduction in points deficit from first meaning we are in with a realistic shout of a title bid the season after.

--Craig--
1-9-11, 10:22
I just want top 4. The claims of a title challenge are madness to be honest. If we don't get top 4 though, that'll be a massive failure. Or a "huge disappointment" as the owners put it. The thing is, I'm less confident now, than I was at the end of last season before the transfer window opened but that'll hopefully change as the season goes on.

lauriantero
1-9-11, 10:23
Realistically we should be fighting for 3rd with Chelsea. I'll be happy with top 4 this season. Anything above that is a bonus.

Fowi
1-9-11, 10:24
Don't disregard Arsenal and Spurs. Getting into top 4 will be an epic uphill battle.

Luis Suarezz
1-9-11, 10:25
we finished 20 odd points off top kenny came in Jan id like to think by Jan wed be around the top of the league or in the top 4 if were 5-7 points off top spot or around there the club most likely buy a marquee player for us to challenge second half of the year. Lets not rule out the title just yet lets just get to january close to the top.

Andyfagan
1-9-11, 10:28
Don't disregard Arsenal and Spurs. Getting into top 4 will be an epic uphill battle.

Spurs?

What makes you think they'll challenge? As far as I can see they've declined in the window.

As for Arsenal, they'll always be able to put out a good side but once again they've almost definitely gotten worse since June. We, on the other hand, have gotten a hell of a lot stronger.

Personally I can see a good season resulting in us battling Chelsea for 3rd and an acceptable one resulting in us beating Arsenal to 4th.

Fowi
1-9-11, 10:43
Spurs?

What makes you think they'll challenge? As far as I can see they've declined in the window.

As for Arsenal, they'll always be able to put out a good side but once again they've almost definitely gotten worse since June. We, on the other hand, have gotten a hell of a lot stronger.

Personally I can see a good season resulting in us battling Chelsea for 3rd and an acceptable one resulting in us beating Arsenal to 4th.

I think we're basing a lot of this on the first 3 games. Spurs won't play Man Utd and Man City every week. Arsenal too won't play Liverpool and Man Utd every week. These teams are still strong teams and if we get ahead of them in the table it will be a massive achievement.

Andyfagan
1-9-11, 10:47
I think we're basing a lot of this on the first 3 games. Spurs won't play Man Utd and Man City every week. Arsenal too won't play Liverpool and Man Utd every week. These teams are still strong teams and if we get ahead of them in the table it will be a massive achievement.

But look at their actual squads - do you not think we have a better squad than them now?

Fowi
1-9-11, 10:49
But look at their actual squads - do you not think we have a better squad than them now?

That's a tough one. It will show on the pitch. I think we see our squad being very strong and their weaker based on the first 3 games.

pete752
1-9-11, 10:50

Spurs have a poor back four to even think of getting up there for 4th..a perma crocked King, Kaboul, Bassong and Dawson plus the Europa fixture congestion should work nicely in our favor.

Arsenal on the other hand will be right up there with us competing for the 3rd-4th positions.

myhomeisskrtbysea
1-9-11, 10:54

This.

On paper, we will finish fourth.

We will need to play above ourselves and have one of Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City have a down patch to finish higher than that.

Andyfagan
1-9-11, 10:54
That's a tough one. It will show on the pitch. I think we see our squad being very strong and their weaker based on the first 3 games.

Tottenham:

Keeper: Friedel, Gomes, Cudicini

RB: Walker, Corluka, Kaboul
CB: Dawson, Bassong, King, Gallas
LB: Assou-Ekotto

LM: Bale, Pienaar, Krancjar, Rose
CM: Huddlestone, Modric, Sandro, Parker, Livermore
RM: Lennon

ST: Adebayor, Defoe, Pavlyuchenko, VDV

That's a weak squad, Fowi. They're short of real quality in a hell of a lot of positions.

Fowi
1-9-11, 10:58
Tottenham:

Keeper: Friedel, Gomes, Cudicini

RB: Walker, Corluka, Kaboul
CB: Dawson, Bassong, King, Gallas
LB: Assou-Ekotto

LM: Bale, Pienaar, Krancjar, Rose
CM: Huddlestone, Modric, Sandro, Parker, Livermore
RM: Lennon

ST: Adebayor, Defoe, Pavlyuchenko, VDV

That's a weak squad, Fowi. They're short of real quality in a hell of a lot of positions.

Look at their starting 11 though. The best midfield 5 in the league IMO. Defence is so so , but it's not terrible either. If Adebayor settles it can be a frightening team.

SixYardBoxer
I reckon the top four won't be far from where it stands today, so 3rd for us. Which would be fine.

-Rianaldo-
3rd or 4th.

Andyfagan

Arsenal:

GK: Szczesny, Fabianski, Almunia

RB: Sagna, Jenkinson
CB: Vermaelen, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Djourou, Squillaci
LB: Santos, Gibbs

LM: Gervinho, Arshavin
CM: Arteta, Diaby, Rosicky, Wilshere, Ramsay, Song, Frimpong
RM: Walcott, Benayoun, Chamberlain

CF: RVP, Park, Miyaichi, Chamakh.

Weak in goal, weak at CB, weak on the flanks and weak up front.

keadyboy
1-9-11, 10:59
we can win the heap, I think if you compare our squad to all the others we are pretty strong, stronger than we have been in years and definetly more balanced.

Sky is the limit.

Andyfagan
1-9-11, 10:59
Look at their starting 11 though. The best midfield 5 in the league IMO. Defence is so so , but it's not terrible either. If Adebayor settles it can be a frightening team.

Best midfield 5 in the league? You think?

I'm assuming you're going off Sandro, Modric, Bale, VDV, Lennon?

Personally I wouldn't swap that for ours.

Fowi
1-9-11, 11:01
Best midfield 5 in the league? You think?

I'm assuming you're going off Sandro, Modric, Bale, VDV, Lennon?

Personally I wouldn't swap that for ours.

Yea those 5. For me it's the best midfield in the league. I'm a big fan of all those players. Frankly, for me, Harry is the problem. If they had a top manager they would be an awesome team. Rafa in charge of those players? Frightening.

Al87
1-9-11, 11:01
I've been hugely encouraged by our start to the season, ok Sunderland was disappointing but we played some great stuff first half. Arsenal we were clinical at just the right time having bossed the game, and we were very good against Bolton. I think a lot depends on whether we can keep evryone fit for most of the season, find a way to integrate Carroll without disrupting our playing style, and i think we'll learn a lot about the group in the next 5 games. If we get 10-15 points, then i'll start believing we can match anybody.

Impressive start, good transfer window, onwards and upwards imo.

Yehez
1-9-11, 11:03
A battle for 3rd.

We have an excellent squad.

shody1976
1-9-11, 11:03

Bottom line, this team got comprehensively whacked by both Utd & City. They capitulated in both games whereas last season, they would have put up a real fight. There's something not quite right at Spurs and Adebayor is as disruptive an influence as you could find anywhere in football. Add to the mix a **********-off Modric and there potentially problems ahead. Whilst you are right to point out that they won't play Utd and City every week, you can't simply gloss over a 5-1 loss at home in any league.

Fowi
1-9-11, 11:05
Bottom line, this team got comprehensively whacked by both Utd & City. They capitulated in both games whereas last season, they would have put up a real fight. There's something not quite right at Spurs and Adebayor is as disruptive an influence as you could find anywhere in football. Add to the mix a **********-off Modric and there potentially problems ahead. Whilst you are right to point out that they won't play Utd and City every week, you can't simply gloss over a 5-1 loss at home in any league.

We got dicked on 1-4 at Anfield by Chelsea in a good season. These things happen. Spurs will always lose to Man Utd because Harry is scared of such teams. Man City played a brilliant game too. This won't go on at Spurs, but if it does it won't be because they don't have a really strong team.

Don't worry about Modric. He will play as usual. He's that sort of man.

keviv6
1-9-11, 11:07
If we kept raul honestly title.. people think its far fetched and all but it actually isnt considering we have a massive advantage not having to play CL football.. We DONT need a squad as strong as city's because of this.. now i think we will comfortably finish 4th..

shody1976
1-9-11, 11:13
We got dicked on 1-4 at Anfield by Chelsea in a good season. These things happen. Spurs will always lose to Man Utd because Harry is scared of such teams. Man City played a brilliant game too. This won't go on at Spurs, but if it does it won't be because they don't have a really strong team.

I'm not arsed about Modric. He'll need to continue to play well if he wants a move in January or next summer. But turning down £40 million for him, if true, seems like a foolish move to me. Spurs won't struggle, but neither can I see them finishing in the top 4. I don't think Arsenal will struggle either and both Arteta and Benayoun will turn out to be very astute signings. But I'd fancy us to finish above both of them.

pouldh
Based on the squads after the window has shut, in my view ManU still has the best squad overall, but they are weak on he GK post with too little expereince. This could be their downfall this season.

City has a very good starting eleven and very good first seven replacements. Question is, can Mancini get them to gel, when the big stars like Tevez and Balotelli will not start the game.

Chelski has still a good squad and Mata could be good for them. They look a little thin in midfield, especially if Essien does not recover and a big question is how they play their front.

Gunners have done some last minute deals that will help them, but they still have a very injury prone mid of defense and I am not convinced about Mertesacker. They have no backup striker to RVP.

Spurs defense will be their big problem in my view, but maybe Parker can rescue some of their weaknesses. Their starting midfield and attack with Parker, Modric, Lennon, Bale, Ade and one of Defoe or VDV is defo. not bad.

We have improved so much compared to last season. The question is how many games Gerrard can play and can he keep fit. Same for Agger. Also can we get the best out of Carroll? I feel that we are maybe 2 or 3 players from having the near perfect squad.

So, all in all, I see it that each of those teams that I consider top six have their weaknesses and hopefully it will make for a exciting season with us ultimately qualifying for CL in 3rd or 4th position.

Other teams to watch out for is Stoke and Sunderland if Bruce can make the team gel. Everton and Barcodes will be in trouble.

TomHighwaysM16
Our fans have gone from apathy to overconfidence in 3 months. The battle for 4th place will still be a hard one. It's not like we have Barcelona or Real Madrid players to be pretty much safe on our CL qualifications.

Don't be fooled by Tottenham and Arsenal bad start. 35 games to go.

Fowi
1-9-11, 11:14
I'm not arsed about Modric. He'll need to continue to play well if he wants a move in January or next summer. But turning down £40 million for him, if true, seems like a foolish move to me. Spurs won't struggle, but neither can I see them finishing in the top 4. I don't think Arsenal will struggle either and both Arteta and Benayoun will turn out to be very astute signings. But I'd fancy us to finish above both of them.

Yea, I'm not saying we will or won't finish above them, but I'm seeing people having us in 3rd place comfortably and for me it's a tad premature. Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal have not become bad teams overnight.

Tooks-YNWA
1-9-11, 11:15
I'll always say we can win the league till it looks extremely unlikely or mathmatically impossible!!!
I'm no longer worried about what the other teams do, as i think were good enough now to keep everything in our own hands and make our own destiny in the league.

Let everyone else worry about us, were the rising force in this league!

Themessangernr1
1-9-11, 11:16
it will be a tough battle for top4, our squad still not good enough to be a title challenging team, having spearing and shelvey as backuos again was a poor decision by kenny and the owners. for 10m we have lost very important potential depth. i guess the table will tell us wether we need to spend in january or not,

Mike-91
1-9-11, 11:17

Harry said he is the sort of bloke that not going to Chelsea wont affect him.

I think he was talking rubbish. He has asked Harry twice now, not to play him.

He wont be the same player this season.

Fowi
1-9-11, 11:18
Harry said he is the sort of bloke that not going to Chelsea wont affect him.

I think he was talking rubbish. He has asked Harry twice now, not to play him.

He wont be the same player this season.

It might affect him, but also because he was on a high last season and is bound to come crashing for a while. But it won't be because he'll stop caring. He'll do his best for them.

shody1976
1-9-11, 11:20
Yea, I'm not saying we will or won't finish above them, but I'm seeing people having us in 3rd place comfortably and for me it's a tad premature. Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal have not become bad teams overnight.

It won't be comfortable at all. I don't think anyone should expect it to be either. But I now see us as less likely to drop points at home against the weaker sides like we've been doing for the last 15 years. Dropping points to teams like Wigan, Birmingham City, Fulham, Middlesborough etc has cost us season in, season out and I don't think that will be as much of an issue based on what I've seen so far.

Mike-91
1-9-11, 11:21
It might affect him, but also because he was on a high last season and is bound to come crashing for a while. But it won't be because he'll stop caring. He'll do his best for them.

When footballers want moves and don't get them, they become right sulks. Modric will be no different. imo.

He will see Chelsea winning games and getting back into the CL, while Spurs finish outside of it again.

And by the end of next season, Chelsea will have moved on and Modric will be stuck at a club he wanted to leave 12 months before.

Yehez
1-9-11, 11:21
Spurs have a good squad. Same with Arsenal. It won't be easy. But I'm confident.

Fowi
1-9-11, 11:22
It won't be comfortable at all. I don't think anyone should expect it to be either. But I now see us as less likely to drop points at home against the weaker sides like we've been doing for the last 15 years. Dropping points to teams like Wigan, Birmingham City, Fulham, Middlesborough etc has cost us season in, season out and I don't think that will be as much of an issue based on what I've seen so far.

I think the real test will be those away games. Like Stoke away, Wigan away, Sunderland away etc. If we have found a way to dominate those teams at their own ground instead of being scared on hoofing the ball from the back then we'll be fine.

--Craig--
1-9-11, 11:24
When footballers want moves and don't get them, they become right sulks. Modric will be no different. imo.

Well, not really. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Ronaldo, Tevez and Cesc have all played perfectly well after they've made it clear they want to leave the club. It's not as absolute as "Wants to leave = will sulk and play crap"

Fowi
1-9-11, 11:24
Well, not really. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Ronaldo, Tevez and Cesc have all played perfectly well after they've made it clear they want to leave the club. It's not as absolute as "Wants to leave = will sulk and play crap"

Indeed. There is really no rule to this. If anything more players have played well after being denied a move. Players like Modric didn't go from playing in a relegation fighting team in the Bosnian league to Tottenham by not caring deeply about their careers.

Mike-91
1-9-11, 11:25

Ronaldo ect didn't ask the manager not to play them in games.

--Craig--
1-9-11, 11:27
Ronaldo ect didn't ask the manager not to play them in games.

:confused: So? That's not what my post was about.

You said "When footballers want moves and don't get them, they become right sulks".

And it isn't really true.

TomHighwaysM16
1-9-11, 11:34
We can expect a hard, long, marathon battle for CL spot. Hard and long.

cbetofop
1-9-11, 11:37
TBH I don't think the squads of the top 4; 5; 6 matter.

What matters is we stop producing draws against teams like Sunderland. We could lose home and away to United; City; Chelsea and Arsenal - win all the other games and easily win the league.

For me it's not the squads....it's finishing off the so called 'lesser' teams and not letting in soft soft goals against them.

That's this seasons challenge - that's where it's gone wrong in recent 'good' seasons

beatlesmith
1-9-11, 11:38
I think the real test will be those away games. Like Stoke away, Wigan away, Sunderland away etc. If we have found a way to dominate those teams at their own ground instead of being scared on hoofing the ball from the back then we'll be fine.

For me this is also the acid test. If we can extract maximum points from both Stoke and Spurs by outplaying both those teams (as opposed to a lucky win against the run of play etc.) I'll be a bit more convinced.

We drew at home to Sunderland, beat an Arsenal youth team (when they were reduced to ten men) and gave a footballing lesson to Bolton who have lost some of the toughness they had as a side under Allardyce and are without the real talent to play top class football.
I think our first three games (glad as I am at the accumulation of 7 points) are not enough to start imagining this team is the finished article just yet.

I'm optimistic as I feel we have better strength in depth than in previous seasons but the task of finishing in the top four is certainly not as assured as some appear to believe, in my opinion.

Better to feel the way I do now however than how I felt 12 months ago under the start of the previous Manager's reign. phew! Steady the ship my foot.

YNWA :scarf

shody1976
1-9-11, 11:40

Agreed. You'll find that aimless hoofing is something that will be quickly ironed out of this team. Kenny never hoofed the ball, he never played in teams that hoofed the ball and he hasn't managed teams that hoof the ball. Expect the team to impose itself on games far more away from home.

Ellibertador
1-9-11, 11:44
I think we can achieve anything we want.

The King knows what he is doing.

Daymo68
1-9-11, 11:46
I feel confident that Liverpool FC can challenge for a top 4 spot again. A good run in any of the cups would be a bonus. There will be some ups and downs during the season especially with a new group of players coming together quickly. However we now have a squad that can compete on all levels. With a bit of luck along the way, this could be a very good season.

-suarez94-
1-9-11, 11:48
I believe we can get in the top 4, although it's only the first 3 games, arsenal and spurs have been all over the place, chelsea to for that matter, but they've managed to grind out results whilst not being on form, which I want to see if this new squad of ours is capable of.

united, chelsea and city will all be up there, due to the fact they will grind out results whilst not being on top form. at the moment I would say we have been in great form, but it will be interesting to see if we can get better, and how much better can we get? Lets remember this team hasnt gelled properly, and we still have gerrard to come back, so I'm guessing we havent even seen the best yet.

In the 08/09 season we were able to come back from being goals down countless number of times, not to mention the amount of late winners. That squad had a never say die attitude, which I can see glimpses of in this squad.
I just hope we see similar results.

Gazza74
I still think we can get top 4 and where we finish within that top is open to question.

With Kenny at the helm you'd never rule anything out in the league and a cup is also on the cards to.

PeaTearGryphon
I'd really hope that getting into the top 4 is our ambition.

Without European football, and with the team we have assembled, i think that should be what we achieve

--Craig--
1-9-11, 11:50
I still think we can get top 4 and where we finish within that top is open to question.

I'm almost certain you thought we could challenge this season? Why have you reigned in your optimism now the transfer window has closed and you're happy with the signings/sellings? Sorry if I've got that wrong, but I'm pretty sure you thought we'd at least get 2nd.

LLS
1-9-11, 11:56
To the people posting Arsenal and Spurs squads, the problem is that yes they're squads may seem weak, but as isn't that much stronger.

Yes, we've improved a lot, but lets not forget where we once were. Spurs and Arsenal still have better wingers for example, and Lucas and Adam may not be as good as Sandro and Modric too as a partnership too.

But the difference is that we have a better manager in Kenny, higher morale, and Luis Suarez.

I think it comes down to luck with injuries, and with us playing at least 10 less games this season, I think we'll see off those 2.

Gazza74
1-9-11, 11:57
I'm almost certain you thought we could challenge this season? Why have you reigned in your optimism now the transfer window has closed and you're happy with the signings/sellings? Sorry if I've got that wrong, but I'm pretty sure you thought we'd at least get 2nd.

Yes you have got it wrong and i explained this last time you got it wrong when asking me the same question.

I said with Kenny back in charge i automatically expect title challenges as a default due to last time he was here, i can't halt that and that's my opinion of him as a manager, anything is possible.

But, realistically i will be happy with top 4 and a cup this year and of course showing progress from the previous 2 years. I also never gave any position prediction as i just said i'd be happy with top 4 and that includes all 4 positions.

redjonn
1-9-11, 12:00
Our squad has significantly improved taking account of January and this transfer window. But we are still re-building with some of the younger buys still developing and I would suspect a couple of major signing next window or two depending upon how we perform. Then we will be able to sustain realistic hopes of challenging on many fronts for silverware.

Having seen us rebuild many times since I first started going to Anfield in 1959 I still expect ups and downs and hence I suggest a degree of caution before shouting about what we are going to do and writing off our main competitors. We fans will still need patience and understanding. This is the best situation we have been in for a few years but itís still a significant gap to get to the top of the tree and the sustained success we use to have. I like Kenny approach, he doesnít shout about what success we will achieve nor disrespect opponents capabilities or as with some fans write off the Arsenals or Spurs of the world. I also note that Wolves are unbeaten in PL, have same number of points and two of their 3 games have been away and I expect them to be fighting relegation... in other words it is early days...

Gazza74
1-9-11, 12:00
I think it comes down to luck with injuries, and with us playing at least 10 less games this season, I think we'll see off those 2.

Don't forget we can buy again in January to, if the players we want are available.

We're rebuilding again and it'll continue in January i'm sure and then next summer.

The squad we have today will most likely be the one to get us through to January and then if we can add one or 2 quality players in January we will and it'll get stronger.

--Craig--
1-9-11, 12:13
Yes you have got it wrong and i explained this last time you got it wrong when asking me the same question.

I said with Kenny back in charge i automatically expect title challenges as a default due to last time he was here, i can't halt that and that's my opinion of him as a manager, anything is possible.

But, realistically i will be happy with top 4 and a cup this year and of course showing progress from the previous 2 years. I also never gave any position prediction as i just said i'd be happy with top 4 and that includes all 4 positions.

You expect title challenges as a default so I'm wrong in thinking you said you expect a title challenge? Okay, mate. My mistake.

It seems like you're just covering both bases to be honest. You expect a title challenge but realistically you'd be happy with 4th. I agree, I'd be happy with 4th.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making a prediction. Based on our transfers, and the other clubs, where do you predict we'll finish? Nothing wrong with answering that surely?

Gazza74
1-9-11, 12:36
You expect title challenges as a default so I'm wrong in thinking you said you expect a title challenge? Okay, mate. My mistake.

It seems like you're just covering both bases to be honest. You expect a title challenge but realistically you'd be happy with 4th. I agree, I'd be happy with 4th.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making a prediction. Based on our transfers, and the other clubs, where do you predict we'll finish? Nothing wrong with answering that surely?

Christ almighty, it's not hard to grasp.

Months ago, and BEFORE any players were brought in there were threads about the excitement of Kenny being back as full time manager and what to expect in the new season and in them i said that as a default i expect title challenges with him, even if realistically they may not happen.

In other words, for THIS season, i'll expect it but if it doesn't happen i'm ok with it as it's his first season back and despite my default mode with him being manager this isn't 1988 and we're not the best team in the country so it may take a season to rebuild and get to the level of challenging.

Realistically, i do expect a top 4 finish and that doesn't mean 4th place, it means top 4 and that can be 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th, i don't mind for this season aslong as we get top 4 and show progress.

It's not covering anything, i am happy if we don't quite challenge this season aslong as we get top 4 and show progress. This is inspite of my excitement of seeing my hero and idol back in the hotseat and believing with him anything is possible.

Next summer, and with more signings i'm sure, my expectations will still be that default title challenge but then i'll be truly expecting and wanting a title challenge and just top 4 won't be good enough then.

TheBestIsLFC
1-9-11, 12:50
I think we can get 3rd spot this season fingers crossed :scarf

--Craig--
1-9-11, 13:02
Christ almighty, it's not hard to grasp.

Months ago, and BEFORE any players were brought in there were threads about the excitement of Kenny being back as full time manager and what to expect in the new season and in them i said that as a default i expect title challenges with him, even if realistically they may not happen.

In other words, for THIS season, i'll expect it but if it doesn't happen i'm ok with it as it's his first season back and despite my default mode with him being manager this isn't 1988 and we're not the best team in the country so it may take a season to rebuild and get to the level of challenging.

Realistically, i do expect a top 4 finish and that doesn't mean 4th place, it means top 4 and that can be 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th, i don't mind for this season aslong as we get top 4 and show progress.

It's not covering anything, i am happy if we don't quite challenge this season aslong as we get top 4 and show progress. This is inspite of my excitement of seeing my hero and idol back in the hotseat and believing with him anything is possible.

Next summer, and with more signings i'm sure, my expectations will still be that default title challenge but then i'll be truly expecting and wanting a title challenge and just top 4 won't be good enough then.

Why can't you just make a prediction? I think we'll finish 5th. What about you, Gaz? Unless you're really superstitious and think it'll some how effect how well we do, I don't see the problem with a harmless finishing place prediction? I get that you think we could finish 1st, or that we could finish 4th. But where do you predict we'll finish?

kk007
1-9-11, 13:05
Target should be top 3 and one of the cups.

LFC can challenge for the league this season. Going to surprise a few folks come May. We don't have any European distractions this season.

foreverred-1973
1-9-11, 13:08
Next game is Stoke away! We'll see on the 13th of May 2012 at 4:50pm what we have achieved.

Gazza74
1-9-11, 13:09
Why can't you just make a prediction? I think we'll finish 5th. What about you, Gaz? Unless you're really superstitious and think it'll some how effect how well we do, I don't see the problem with a harmless finishing place prediction? I get that you think we could finish 1st, or that we could finish 4th. But where do you predict we'll finish?

I have made a prediction, we'll finish in the top 4.

But if it means that much to you i will say, erm,......3rd.

--Craig--
1-9-11, 13:10
I have made a prediction, we'll finish in the top 4.

But if it means that much to you i will say, erm,......3rd.

Thanks, 3rd it is. It means a lot to me.

smokintony
1-9-11, 13:12
Top 4, 3rd at a push, finishing 5th or 6th a possibility, any lower unlikely

WIseking
1-9-11, 14:01
We Can win the league

sjcrosby
1-9-11, 14:03
PL title. simples ;)

Stevie Jesus
1-9-11, 14:05
Yea those 5. For me it's the best midfield in the league. I'm a big fan of all those players. Frankly, for me, Harry is the problem. If they had a top manager they would be an awesome team. Rafa in charge of those players? Frightening.

Their midfield is immense, but defence and up front they are too average. If they signed Cahill and a top class striker (to add to Adebayor) they would be an excellent team. Adebayor adds to it but he's not prolific enough imo.

Alon1
1-9-11, 14:30
I would say 4th, don't think we are going to beat Chelsea or City for Top 3.
Arsenal has made some decent signings but it's going to take time for them, as they have a very defined style.

As for Spurs, i think is going to be difficult for them to keep Modric and VdV happy without CL prospects, a bad start and the noises will start again

purejam
1-4-12, 19:08
Top 4, 3rd at a push, finishing 5th or 6th a possibility, any lower unlikely

This has to be the all time best prediction, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th, whilst still hedging bets for the unlikely lower.

I'd defintely rep you if I could.

;)