PDA

View Full Version : If Chelsea win the CL...

runandjump
15-9-11, 12:02
(forget how difficult that will be for a minute).

Given the amount of pressure Abramovich puts on his managers to win the thing and his apparent obcession with it, were they to actually win it this season, do you think Ambramovich would be done with Chelsea and look to sell?

He's quite clearly a businessman and may see the fact that Chelsea have finally won the CL as his ticket out and the highest price Chelsea will be able to fetch to a prospective new buyer.

For the last couple of years (until Torres + Luiz in january) he appeared more reluctant to put his hand in his pocket to finance new players, even this summer they didn't exactly splash loads of cash despite what is widely regarded as an aging squad in need of refreshment (and not many youth prospects to come in for cheap either).

IF (big if) the above does happen and Roman the Ruble does leave, what do you think happens to Chelsea? Can they attract another mega-money owner? Their current stadium could very much do with expansion/redevelopment or the building of a new one which is another mega-money consideration...

Just interested in your thoughts..

CBB27
15-9-11, 12:06
I actually think he'll end up selling anyway. I said it as soon as Russia was announced as the World Cup host.

Elmos-Lucky-7
15-9-11, 12:09
They bought Meireles, Mata, Lukaku, Lucas Piazon (joining in January), Oriol Romeu and Thibaut Courtois this Summer, spending a considerable amount in the process.

Football is a terrible business, any money that a club makes is automatically assumed to be used to fund transfers and salaries. Despite having an abundance of financial resources, I'm sure that Abromovich will want to make as much money from a prospective sale as possible, so, I agree, he is probably going to buy another expensive player in January and push for the Champions League, the one thing that has eluded him, and then probably sell to an Arab state/consortium.

slimman
15-9-11, 12:10
I actually think he'll end up selling anyway. I said it as soon as Russia was announced as the World Cup host.

:eek:

I remember them saying a few years after he took over that by 2010 the books will be balanced and the club would essentially run itself. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

If he was to leave, they would be in a world of problems. It's crazy year after year what their financials are.

why do you think he'll leave because the WC is in Russia?

-Gola-
15-9-11, 12:13
na he loves the game and owning chelsea

he'll be wanting to win another

johnamiri
15-9-11, 12:14
Chelsea have 2 hopes of winning the Champions League No Hope and Bob Hope.

KOPGIRL1971
15-9-11, 12:16

That is still 7 years away, but there was a suggestion that the time that the country's top millionaires would be expected to dip into their pockets to fund the event, so I think you might be right

Elmos-Lucky-7
15-9-11, 12:16

Hope Solo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Solo)?

The Parish
15-9-11, 12:18

So did we, and Porto the year they won it.

Syndicato
15-9-11, 12:27
I think John Terry's penalty miss put paid to Chelski winning this cup until this crop of players goes

RedInferno74
15-9-11, 12:30
I have a feeling Abramosnitch won't give up until he gets that CL win. Won't happen this season though.

CBB27
15-9-11, 12:31
:eek:

I remember them saying a few years after he took over that by 2010 the books will be balanced and the club would essentially run itself. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

If he was to leave, they would be in a world of problems. It's crazy year after year what their financials are.

why do you think he'll leave because the WC is in Russia?

Just always have thought it. When it was announced, there were rather strong rumours that the countries richest would have to fund a lot of the World Cup.

He was also very involved in the Russia bid - and I think this was always his goal and Chelsea was nothing more but a "means to an end".

Like I said, it's only my thoughts but I'd never be surprised.

Chelsea would be in a world of trouble though, as essentially Roman has only ever "loaned" them the money they have spent.

kinetik-RED
15-9-11, 12:31
Where else can he launder his moneys? He's there for the long run imo.

CBB27
15-9-11, 12:33
That is still 7 years away, but there was a suggestion that the time that the country's top millionaires would be expected to dip into their pockets to fund the event, so I think you might be right

Yes, but relative to a World Cup, 7 years is nothing.

Ellibertador
15-9-11, 12:41
na he loves the game and owning chelsea

he'll be wanting to win another

Agree.

Plus he has spent a load of money this year.

Not the sign of a man who is thinking about selling up.

CBB27
15-9-11, 12:43
Agree.

Plus he has spent a load of money this year.

Not the sign of a man who is thinking about selling up.

I think the money he has spent was one, last ditch attempt to win the CL. He was also aware, I'm sure, that failure to invest could of ended up with them losing their CL spot.

I honestly believe he will go in the next 3-4 years.

smokintony
15-9-11, 12:47
Hes not running the club as a business, hes running it like some people have stamp collections or train sets, its a hobby he obviously enjoys and doesnt mind spending money on, he going to be there for a long time

slimman
15-9-11, 13:26
Just always have thought it. When it was announced, there were rather strong rumours that the countries richest would have to fund a lot of the World Cup.

He was also very involved in the Russia bid - and I think this was always his goal and Chelsea was nothing more but a "means to an end".

Like I said, it's only my thoughts but I'd never be surprised.

Chelsea would be in a world of trouble though, as essentially Roman has only ever "loaned" them the money they have spent.

Technically it is a loan but i think it's definately assumed that it won't be paid back. More like a gift to the club.

Where else can he launder his moneys? He's there for the long run imo.

I have always thought this was the case with him and many ultra rich Russian people. I know it's a massive sterotype but Chelsea does prove a very very very easy way to do this especially when buying so many players initially from so many vrious countries

MFJTS
15-9-11, 20:04
Can't see this Chelsea team making the semi finals, never mind winning it.

coachwatson
15-9-11, 21:08
I could see him getting out of the business because of city. His advantage has always been the ability to outspend everyone but he cant do that with city.

TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel
15-9-11, 21:09

Given the amount of pressure Abramovich puts on his managers to win the thing and his apparent obcession with it, were they to actually win it this season, do you think Ambramovich would be done with Chelsea and look to sell?

He's quite clearly a businessman and may see the fact that Chelsea have finally won the CL as his ticket out and the highest price Chelsea will be able to fetch to a prospective new buyer.

For the last couple of years (until Torres + Luiz in january) he appeared more reluctant to put his hand in his pocket to finance new players, even this summer they didn't exactly splash loads of cash despite what is widely regarded as an aging squad in need of refreshment (and not many youth prospects to come in for cheap either).

IF (big if) the above does happen and Roman the Ruble does leave, what do you think happens to Chelsea? Can they attract another mega-money owner? Their current stadium could very much do with expansion/redevelopment or the building of a new one which is another mega-money consideration...

Chelsea won't win the Champions League. End of.

Little Phil C
15-9-11, 21:10

this:D

Sunraged
15-9-11, 21:12
Whether Abramovic sells or not may depend on one of two things: either loss of disposable income, or because Chelsea have run out of washing powder causing him to need another overseas venture to do his "laundry" for him.

Snippes
15-9-11, 21:14
Winning is like an addictive drug - once you get a taste, you are not gonna want to stop.

Bottom line is, Chavs ain't winning the CL - not unless Roman hires Pep and signs every Barca play to come with him. Either that or an easier option would be hire to Rafa Benitez but I doubt he will ever do that. The plastics are too stupid to see that he would solve their biggest itch and instead would focus on all the things about Rafa they don't like. Idiots.

RedInferno74
15-9-11, 21:15

No, not with the team they have now.

In a year or two, maybe.

XabiGonzo
15-9-11, 21:30
They wont win it so the thread is pointless.. City, Barca and Real Madrid all got far more chance than Chelsea

By-Lallanas-Beard
15-9-11, 21:39
Dont understand why *** r saying chelsea cant win it

if porto and liverpool can win it with average teams...then so can chelsea.

they have a good chance.

XabiGonzo
15-9-11, 21:42

they have a good chance.

Its called my opnion. My opnion is they wont win it. They didnt win it under Jose and Ancelotti, both managers who know how to win the trophy.

TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel
15-9-11, 22:36

they have a good chance.

But then again, some things are just not meant to be. :)

smokintony
15-9-11, 22:52

they have a good chance.

Mourinho and Rafa, nuf said:scarf

TrebleChaser
16-9-11, 00:26

I think that is a great thread for debate. He is clearly obsessed and from last year it was noticable how many Chelsea players acknowledged it in interview. I think in the short term it would not make much difference because Abbramovich might well want the Chavs to go on and win the Super Cup and the World Club Championship. Success at all could be a quit cue or perhaps with the emergence of high bidding Russian clubs for players, it might become a signal to invest more in his other club CSKA Moscow. That would be interesting and assist our domestic chances whilst heightening the intrigue of the Champions League. Could be where football is going though and could happen fast too.

sjcrosby
16-9-11, 00:30
If Chelsea win the CL...

... Wenger, Mancini & Fergie will be gone.... as we will have won the league ;)

Darrren1
8-11-12, 09:45

I have a feeling Abramosnitch won't give up until he gets that CL win. Won't happen this season though.

Chelsea won't win the Champions League. End of.

Bottom line is, Chavs ain't winning the CL - not unless Roman hires Pep and signs every Barca play to come with him. Either that or an easier option would be hire to Rafa Benitez but I doubt he will ever do that.

They wont win it so the thread is pointless.. City, Barca and Real Madrid all got far more chance than Chelsea

Its called my opnion. My opnion is they wont win it. They didnt win it under Jose and Ancelotti, both managers who know how to win the trophy.

If Chelsea win the CL...

... Wenger, Mancini & Fergie will be gone.... as we will have won the league ;)

Oops

:D

LFC_Willa18
8-11-12, 09:51
Oops

Got to love when old threads reappear :D

Sunraged
8-11-12, 10:21

As long as Chelsea has enough detergent to keep his money clean, he'll stay at Chelsea.

KOPGIRL1971
8-11-12, 12:55

Yep, as soon as the bid was successful, the Russian government told its billionaires they have to do their bit - but, I don't think the chavs will necessarily fold if roman walks. The have a fairly strong squad now and a decent manager, so they may be OK - unfortunately.

NileBread
8-11-12, 12:59
Oops

Really not a big deal. To think they'd win it last year you'd want to be a loon.

smokintony
8-11-12, 13:38
Oops

:D thing is fools never learn, Another thread started saying IF Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal or City win the CL... would recieve the same replies