PDA

View Full Version : Gerrard 'suggests Keane could leave'- Setanta

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 10:33
http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2008/12/16/Prem-Gerrard-hints-that-Keane-could-leave/gnid-31774/

Gerrard 'suggests Keane could leave'

Steven Gerrard fears that Ireland international Robbie Keane could very well leave Liverpool during the January transfer window, according to former Reds legend Mark Lawrenson.

Keane has had a tough time at Anfield since he joined the club from Tottenham over the summer - only scoring four goals - and was left on the bench for the 2-2 draw with Hull over the weekend.

And Lawrenson, speaking on Today FM’s ‘The Last Word’, has revealed that Gerrard told him that he expects a move to materialise for the striker next month.

“I had a drink with Steve at a function on Saturday night,” Lawrenson explained. “He said they share the same agent and he thinks something’s going to happen with Robbie Keane in January.

“It sounds like he might be moved on.”

The Reds have reportedly only paid a quarter of the €23 million due to Spurs for the player, which could facilitate a return to White Hart Lane in the near future, Lawrenson added.

OK so IF he leaves, and basically we recoup/still have the £20 odd mill to spend in January, who could we realistically replace him with in January?

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
16-12-08, 10:35
I don't believe it, but David Suazo.

Hoogle
16-12-08, 10:37
A real shame if this happens. Not nice to be rejected by your boyhood heroes.

Seanosdelgardo
16-12-08, 10:37

Very fast and underated....... Would still like to see keane get a fair crack of the whip tho.

Shame we dont have the money for Villa.

Donaldo
16-12-08, 10:41
I don't always agree with Lawros opinions but in this case he seems to be relaying a conversation however how would Gerrard feel to see his private comments to a former player over a drink "quoted" in this way.

Either way, I think Robbie should be given to the end of the season to prove his worth or otherwise.

GarraGharrua1892
16-12-08, 10:42
Find it strange that Gerrard would talk out of school like that.

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 10:42

What makes you think Suazo, who has been loaned out to Benfica because he wasn't really cutting the mustard in Serie A, would be a success here?

I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, but I'm interested in your logic?

He’s not exactly young either.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
16-12-08, 10:44
What makes you think Suazo, who has been loaned out to Benfica because he wasn't really cutting the mustard in Serie A, would be a success here?

I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, but I'm interested in your logic?

He’s not exactly young either.

He wasn't cutting the mustard in Serie A? He was one of the hottest properties in that division, before getting caught up in the Inter Milan striker merry go round.

His loan move to Benfica has been instrumental in them being one of the most improved teams in Europe this season.

Look, i'm not saying he's right up there with the best, but if you are looking for a player available at a decent price, then he is a good option - especially as he can play the Torres role.

Jannno
16-12-08, 10:48
This is a bizarre story. Rafa has been much more patient with those needing time to settle in - Crouch and Kuyt, and he is supportive of Lucas. Perhaps it is an attitude thing. Can't believe that the manager would give up on a player so easily for any other reason.

Also, agree, if Stevie told Lawrenson this it was either a deliberate leak or Lawro will probably never be told anything again!

Matt-CM
16-12-08, 10:51
I don't always agree with Lawros opinions but in this case he seems to be relaying a conversation however how would Gerrard feel to see his private comments to a former player over a drink "quoted" in this way.

Betrayed? I don't think the article reflects well on Lawro. He comes across as a gossip.

IstanbulDreams
I've got a soft spot for Saviola. Limited chances at Real, a very intelligent footballer, i think he'd be excellent with Torres.

Not the popular choice i know, but i think he'd be a decent buy, could even get a loan deal until the end of the season.

HyppHyppHurray
Surely to God you give a player longer than five months to settle in. :( How many games has Keane played with Torres? Wasn't that the whole point of buying him?

To quote Victor Meldrew . . . . . "I don't believe it!"

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
16-12-08, 10:52
if gerrard really said that then what the **** is lawrenson doing making it public, surely it would have been said in confidence, would have thought that's going to **** gerrard off a bit

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 10:53
He wasn't cutting the mustard in Serie A? He was one of the hottest properties in that division, before getting caught up in the Inter Milan striker merry go round.

His loan move to Benfica has been instrumental in them being one of the most improved teams in Europe this season.

Look, i'm not saying he's right up there with the best, but if you are looking for a player available at a decent price, then he is a good option - especially as he can play the Torres role.

8 goals in 36 games last season, and a string of unimpressive performances meant he was loaned out to Benifca. Benifca may be decent and he may have had an impact, but it's not the best league, and if you judge him on his European record, even this season, it's nothing special. In fact his career goals record is pretty average at best.

I know you are being realistic, but for £20 odd million I think we could definitely find someone better than him. I know we can't go sign Eto, Villa etc but I believe we should aim slightly higher.

foreverscouser
16-12-08, 10:53
If true.. that will be the last drink Lawro has with Stevie..

So i doubt its true at all...

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
16-12-08, 10:56
I know you are being realistic, but for £20 odd million I think we could definitely find someone better than him. .

Where's "£20 odd million" coming from?

RickJC
16-12-08, 11:07
Lets remember Keane wasn't bought in as a top scoring striker but as a link up man for Torres, things were looking good when they were playing together but then Torres got injured then the pressure went on Keane because we paid £20m on him.

Give the lad time and he'll do what Rafa bought him for, to help the lads out and get some assists. I still think we should get Owen though but Rafa rubbished that a week or two ago.

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 11:12
Where's "£20 odd million" coming from?

Well thats the reported fee for Keane, and even if we haven't paid it yet, we were/are going to eventually.

Lets remember Keane wasn't bought in as a top scoring striker but as a link up man for Torres, things were looking good when they were playing together but then Torres got injured then the pressure went on Keane because we paid £20m on him.

Give the lad time and he'll do what Rafa bought him for, to help the lads out and get some assists. I still think we should get Owen though but Rafa rubbished that a week or two ago.

Nono no please not Owen, please!!!

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
16-12-08, 11:13
Well thats the reported fee for Keane, and even if we haven't paid it yet, we were/are going to eventually.

But we ain't going to get that back for him are we. Half that at best.

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
16-12-08, 11:14

indeed, if we sell him it's going to be a joke of a loss.

JoeRedLabo
16-12-08, 11:15

by Niamh O'Mahony , 16 December 2008 RELATED NEWS

Liverpool: Benitez to undergo surgery 9Bologna: Opta's European MVP Arsenal: Are the big four still shooting stars? 6read comments | have your say
Steven Gerrard fears that Ireland international Robbie Keane could very well leave Liverpool during the January transfer window, according to former Reds legend Mark Lawrenson.

Keane has had a tough time at Anfield since he joined the club from Tottenham over the summer - only scoring four goals - and was left on the bench for the 2-2 draw with Hull City over the weekend.

And Lawrenson, speaking on Today FM’s ‘The Last Word’, has revealed that Gerrard told him that he expects a move to materialise for the striker next month.

“I had a drink with Steve at a function on Saturday night,” Lawrenson explained. “He said they share the same agent and he thinks something’s going to happen with Robbie Keane in January.

The Reds have reportedly only paid a quarter of the transfer fefe due to Spurs for the player, which could facilitate a return to White Hart Lane in the near future, Lawrenson added.

However, Premier League rules forbid a player going back to a club within 12 months of being transferred or having their registration cancelled.

stano123
16-12-08, 11:16
http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=80347

KloppBoy

:rolleyes:

nuggs

Either way, I think Robbie should be given to the end of the season to prove his worth or otherwise.

agreed on both points

LordJamieOfCarragher
16-12-08, 11:17

Jodzo
16-12-08, 11:18
Martins?

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
16-12-08, 11:19
you got told.....

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 11:20

indeed, if we sell him it's going to be a joke of a loss.

It's been reported on numerous occasions, that we haven't actually paid £2OM for him yet, and apparently we have only actually paid about a quarter of that.

I don't honestly believe we would sell him at a huge loss. Rafa may be some things, but stupid he aint.

If he went back to Spurs for example, we probably would recoup most of the money, and if not we would probably have a loss of about £5M. All speculation I know, but this seems to be the case.

If it is the case, no massive loss, and money to spend no?

aylesbyred
16-12-08, 11:21
Owned !!!

Jodzo
16-12-08, 11:23
Owned !!!

pwned!!!!!1!!!6!!!17!!!!!7

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
It's been reported on numerous occasions, that we haven't actually paid £2OM for him yet, and apparently we have only actually paid about a quarter of that.

I don't honestly believe we would sell him at a huge loss. Rafa may be some things, but stupid he aint.

If he went back to Spurs for example, we probably would recoup most of the money, and if not we would probably have a loss of about £5M. All speculation I know, but this seems to be the case.

hmmm, if that's the case then it obviously wouldnt be anywhere near as bad, i'd have to see it to believe it though

Seanosdelgardo
Owned !!!

I think you'll find its "Pwned!" ;)

JoeRedLabo
move on and ignore it then ffs. its from setanta today and as there is like 5 threads open today i assumed it hadnt benn done, and one of the threads was started by me anyway.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast

Yes, if he went back to Spurs then the loss could be marginal, if reports are to be believed. But that is the only chance of such a result.

You do realise if we sell him to, say, Newcastle, then we still have to settle up with Spurs don't you?

Spurs is the only option, or it's a huge loss.

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
16-12-08, 11:24
move on and ignore it then ffs. its from setanta today and as there is like 5 threads open today i assumed it hadnt benn done, and one of the threads was started by me anyway.

StrawberryMilkshake
16-12-08, 11:26
If we sell him in Jan then as already said, we are going to make a big loss which is why I don't think we will have anywhere near around £15-20mil to spend on a new striker like some on here seem to think, more like £0-5mil.
Heskey at £3mil?

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 11:27
hmmm, if that's the case then it obviously wouldnt be anywhere near as bad, i'd have to see it to believe it though

To be honest, I don't want him to leave and I am merely speculating. I believe Keane to be FAR from any problems we may have.

Keane IMO is a far superior player to Kuyt, and has been slightly mistreated by LFC. I don't really like to comment too much on issues like these because we don't always see what goes on behind the scenes, in training etc, but Keane seems to be someone who always gives 100%, and we have all seen firsthand, over a number of years the quality he possesses.

Top of the kop
16-12-08, 11:31
http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=80355

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 11:31
Yes, if he went back to Spurs then the loss could be marginal, if reports are to be believed. But that is the only chance of such a result.

You do realise if we sell him to, say, Newcastle, then we still have to settle up with Spurs don't you?

Spurs is the only option, or it's a huge loss.

OK, well consider this thread based on the fact that we don't lose £20 on him. I cannot for one minute see Rafa, or the club allowing that to happen, in no way shape or form. It would make much more sense to keep him and keep faith than ship him off with a huge loss.

I only think he will go if we aren't gonna lose big money.

If we sell him in Jan then as already said, we are going to make a big loss which is why I don't think we will have anywhere near around £15-20mil to spend on a new striker like some on here seem to think, more like £0-5mil.
Heskey at £3mil?

I can't make my mind up about Heskey. Part of me says yes, if he is happy playing bit part role in general. Part of me says don't waste the time or money. Bruce did say he would't let him go unless it was silly money offered anyway, and £3m aint silly money.

StrawberryMilkshake
16-12-08, 11:32

Sneets
16-12-08, 11:32
I don't get this whole Keane thing unless there is more than meets the eye. He hasn't played that badly, yes he has missed a few soft chances but so have many others including Gerrard and Torres and as for Kuyt the less said the better. He has hardly played in a settled formation all season, he was beginning to click with Torres then Torres got injured, since then he has had to cope with numerous different permutations and often up front on his own which doesn't suit him. On the surface it looks like he had a rough deal, maybe there is more to it than we know.

As for Lawrenson, whether Gerrard said anything or not it reflects very badly on the big mouthed

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 11:36
I don't get this whole Keane thing unless there is more than meets the eye. He hasn't played that badly, yes he has missed a few soft chances but so have many others including Gerrard and Torres and as for Kuyt the less said the better. He has hardly played in a settled formation all season, he was beginning to click with Torres then Torres got injured, since then he has had to cope with numerous different permutations and often up front on his own which doesn't suit him. On the surface it looks like he had a rough deal, maybe there is more to it than we know.

As for Lawrenson, whether Gerrard said anything or not it reflects very badly on the big mouthed .

Agree

LordJamieOfCarragher

Your headline was better to be fair!

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
OK, well consider this thread based on the fact that we don't lose £20 on him. I cannot for one minute see Rafa, or the club allowing that to happen, in no way shape or form. It would make much more sense to keep him and keep faith than ship him off with a huge loss.

Unless City are interested, no club in the world is going to pay anything like £15m for him.

Only we are mad enough to do that.

StrawberryMilkshake
16-12-08, 11:37

I can't make my mind up about Heskey. Part of me says yes, if he is happy playing bit part role in general. Part of me says don't waste the time or money. Bruce did say he would't let him go unless it was silly money offered anyway, and £3m aint silly money.

But if Liverpool made a £3mil bid for Heskey and Heskey said that he wants to leave...

RickJC
16-12-08, 11:39
But if Liverpool made a £3mil bid for Heskey and Heskey said that he wants to leave...

Didn't Heskey say he was happy to wait until the end of the season?

StrawberryMilkshake
16-12-08, 11:40

As for Lawrenson, whether Gerrard said anything or not it reflects very badly on the big mouthed .

I know, he's scored some very good goals in the Prem this season, how annoying...

If it wasn't for Kuyt we wouldn't have beaten Wigan or Man City, we would now be 5 points BEHIND Chelsea as apposed to 1 point ahead of them. We also may not have beaten Liege and would currently not be in the CL.

God I hate Kuyt.

dreams-come-true
16-12-08, 11:41
Miro Klose
Samuel Eto'o
Thierry Henry
Henrik Larsson
David Villa

OK. None of those are realistic possibilities. Just a thought though. I wont waste any time dreaming of Henry anyway. That is a story which will never happen. Especially as he has an "obligation" to the Arsenal fans.
David Villa .... we wont have the money for him. Definitely not!

EssexTony
16-12-08, 11:43
I don't believe a word of it. Benitez has said Keane's goin nowhere. Lawro wouldn't be stupid enough to relay Gerrard's private comments out. Setanta cooking up a fat :fishing trip here.

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
16-12-08, 11:43
I know, he's scored some very good goals in the Prem this season, how annoying...

If it wasn't for Kuyt we wouldn't have beaten Wigan or Man City, we would now be 5 points BEHIND Chelsea as apposed to 1 point ahead of them. We also may not have beaten Liege and would currently not be in the CL.

God I hate Kuyt.

kuyt hasnt always played well, mate. i think what sneets meant is kuyt can play like a complete and utter donkey for 3 games running and still walk back into the team

Sneets
16-12-08, 11:44

God I hate Kuyt.

Seven PL goals in one and a half seasons and numerous chances missed, that is Dirk Kuyt, one of the least skilled footballers to ever wear a red shirt.

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
16-12-08, 11:44
I don't believe a word of it. Benitez has said Keane's goin nowhere. Lawro wouldn't be stupid enough to relay Gerrard's private comments out. Setanta cooking up a fat :fishing trip here.

hmmm, that's a hell of a risk mate, sententa arent just some small internet blog. they've really sat there and decided to make up some quotes about something completely untrue and then pretend two big names have said it? Im not so sure

StrawberryMilkshake
16-12-08, 11:46
kuyt hasnt always played well, mate. i think what sneets meant is kuyt can play like a complete and utter donkey for 3 games running and still walk back into the team

I realise that Kuyt hasn't always played well, far from it, but is he not currently one of our two top scorers so far this season? (only behind Gerrard)

johnlfcynwa11
16-12-08, 11:47
I'd love to see Miroslav Klose in a red shirt. Were missing a player of his calibre up there at the moment and I could see him banging the goals in against the likes of Hull and West Ham in them type of games. Hell I'd even lose to see Owen at the moment!

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 11:48

God I hate Kuyt.

If Benitez didn't sign Kuyt for £12 M and signed Ronaldo instead we would have won the league by now. All ifs and buts ;)

This isn't a Kuyt debate, but at the end of the day though.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
We've got two chance of signing Klose.

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
I realise that Kuyt hasn't always played well, far from it, but is he not currently one of our two top scorers so far this season? (only behind Gerrard)

is he? good for him, he still doesnt get treated the same as most over players in the squad.

Sneets
16-12-08, 11:49

Whoopee! Five goals, he hardly figures on the PL scoring charts. How many has he missed?

Fowi
16-12-08, 11:50
I don't think it would happen. Rafa would want to avoid all the circus that would appear if he sold him this soon. I think he'll wait until the summer at least.

StrawberryMilkshake
16-12-08, 11:52
Whoopee! Five goals, he hardly figures on the PL scoring charts. How many has he missed?

It was a question not a statement, hence the question mark, so don't get defensive.

dreams-come-true
I hope Keane stays and that it comes good for him.

Chris-Ninis

Not for me. For one he's older than Keane, and apart from his pace I'm not a big fan. I think the lad below is a better shout if you're looking for that type of player.

Martins?

johnlfcynwa11
16-12-08, 11:55
If Benitez didn't sign Kuyt for £12 M and signed Ronaldo instead we would have won the league by now. All ifs and buts ;)

You do realise Kuyt was 10M and Ronaldo was already at Man.Utd.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
16-12-08, 12:00
Not for me. For one he's older than Keane, and apart from his pace I'm not a big fan. I think the lad below is a better shout if you're looking for that type of player.

Martins is older than Suazo. ;)

Chris-Ninis
16-12-08, 12:04
Martins is older than Suazo. ;)

Well not according to his papers so you can sell him on if need be ;)

But basically I think Martins is a better player. I've never overly rated Suazo. I thought he was good at Cagliari but another one of those players (maybe Keane?) that do well in smaller teams.

LFCToM
16-12-08, 12:04

Fowi
16-12-08, 12:08
Suazo is a Wiltord clone. They even have the same flat head. I don't know if it was possible but we should have signed him in the summer and we would have had someone to replace Torres when he is out. It would have saved us a lot of money and actually made us effective.

I guess it all depends on what we would be looking for if Keane was gone in January. Do we want a short term stop gap or do we really go for it?

Argenta
16-12-08, 12:09
http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2008/12/16/Prem-Gerrard-hints-that-Keane-could-leave/gnid-31774/

Keane has had a tough time at Anfield since he joined the club from Tottenham over the summer - only scoring four goals - and was left on the bench for the 2-2 draw with Hull over the weekend.

The Reds have reportedly only paid a quarter of the €23 million due to Spurs for the player, which could facilitate a return to White Hart Lane in the near future, Lawrenson added.

OK so IF he leaves, and basically we recoup/still have the £20 odd mill to spend in January, who could we realistically replace him with in January?This is B****** Stevie would not make comments like this espacially to a **** like lawrenson who is always knocking Lfc down its all rubbish:mad:

Chickenliver
16-12-08, 12:11

I agree with that since torres got injured it's been a mare for robbie, he didn't play as an out and out striker at spurs and like you said wasn't bought as one for us.

PillBoxHat
16-12-08, 12:12
we never needed keane in the first place, its the strangest signing, he doesn't fit into the team. Gerrard is better in his off the striker position and he (Keane) cant lead the line.

£20million was far too much money.

bondred
16-12-08, 12:12
Hopefully Gerrard has already made the phonecall to Lawro.

bondred
16-12-08, 12:14
we never needed keane in the first place, its the strangest signing, he doesn't fit into the team. Gerrard is better in his off the striker position and he (Keane) cant lead the line.

£20million was far too much money.

£20m was not too much at all, before we signed Keane, about 90% of this board WANTED rafa to sign Keane.

A proven prem goal scorer who nets on average 20 times a season.

£20m was a good price, and it just hasn't worked yet, doesn't mean to say it wont work.

Fowi
16-12-08, 12:15
£20m was not too much at all, before we signed Keane, about 90% of this board WANTED rafa to sign Keane.

An even bigger percentage wanted Curbishley instead of Rafa. :)

bondred
16-12-08, 12:17
An even bigger percentage wanted Curbishley instead of Rafa. :)

Well Curbishley single handedly broke up the monopoly of the top 2, and won european tophies

Jaythered
16-12-08, 12:17
Anyone wanna buy a Euro away Keane 7 Kit?

:crying

bondred
16-12-08, 12:18
Anyone wanna buy a Euro away Keane 7 Kit?

:crying

I'll give yer £20 for it

PillBoxHat
16-12-08, 12:19

£20m was a good price, and it just hasn't worked yet, doesn't mean to say it wont work.

he has never got more than 20 goals in the league, 16 is his top return for spurs in the 05/06 season.

bondred
16-12-08, 12:20
he has never got more than 20 goals in the league, 16 is his top return for spurs in the 05/06 season.

I didnt say league

PillBoxHat
16-12-08, 12:22
I didnt say league

you said proven prem scorer ;)

bondred
16-12-08, 12:24
you said proven prem scorer ;)

He is a proven prem scorer who gets an average of 20 goals a season.

Not 20 league goals! ;)

PillBoxHat
16-12-08, 12:27
He is a proven prem scorer who gets an average of 20 goals a season.

Not 20 league goals! ;)

career record of 173 goals in 463 appearances over 13 seasons gives an average of 13 goals a season :D ;)

dreams-come-true
16-12-08, 12:27
Not surprised bond gets a bit grumpy sometimes. :D
English is a difficult language and when people start getting pedantic ..... whoooosh!
Come on Keane! Show us what you are about mate! We want you to do well!
I hope he comes good. I also hope Rafa picks him and lets him play the whole game.

waittillmay
16-12-08, 12:28
Are Palermo, Palacio or Figueroa worth a gamble? I know two are injured but Palermo would seem a decent buy for hopefully a small(er) investment.

Matt-CM
16-12-08, 12:28
I'll give yer £20 for it

For symmetry you should probably give him £20.3

Then we can speculate on the resale value :D

Just a comment on the Setanta story and the rush to shoot the messenger. The Setanta journalist references a radio program on which Lawro made the alleged remarks. It would take a very foolhardy journalist to misrepresent someones remarks when they can so easily be reviewed from tape.

Fowi
16-12-08, 12:30
Are Palermo, Palacio or Figueroa worth a gamble? I know two are injured but Palermo would seem a decent buy for hopefully a small(er) investment.

Palermo is 35 though. I think he'd suck at a big club now.

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
16-12-08, 12:31
Just a comment on the Setanta story and the rush to shoot the messenger. The Setanta journalist references a radio program on which Lawro made the alleged remarks. It would take a very foolhardy journalist to misrepresent someones remarks when they can so easily be reviewed from tape.

never, it's the anti-liverpool agenda within the world media i tell thee

bondred
16-12-08, 12:31
Not surprised bond gets a bit grumpy sometimes. :D
English is a difficult language and when people start getting pedantic ..... whoooosh!
Come on Keane! Show us what you are about mate! We want you to do well!
I hope he comes good. I also hope Rafa picks him and lets him play the whole game.

Whooosh indeed ???

For symmetry you should probably give him £20.3

Then we can speculate on the resale value :D

£20.3 it is, with a resale value of £4.

I'm sure we will here another part of the story by the end of the day

waittillmay
16-12-08, 12:32

Yeah, just disregarding age though, I haven't seen too much of him. Mainly clips and he seems quite decent, any thoughts on the other two?

Failing that what do you think about Mido (forgetting attitude problems of him, Adriano, Ibra etc...)

:D

dreams-come-true
16-12-08, 12:36

Its also very difficult to think of a good / very good striker of a youngish sort of age who wont be too expensive!
Podolski may be. But he is off and on at Bayern and just cant get past the two oldies .... Klose and Toni.
Villa would be too expensive too.
Henry and Larsson are also well over 30.

I suppose if you are going to bring in someone who we could afford, then it will have to be someone who has the experience, is over 30, and is still quick enough and clever enough to deal with the football played in the Premier League...... I wouldn't mind Larsson as a stop-gap measure. At least he might be affordable if only for a short term.
Remember, King Kenny played until he was 35?

Fowi
16-12-08, 12:37
Yeah, just disregarding age though, I haven't seen too much of him. Mainly clips and he seems quite decent, any thoughts on the other two?

Failing that what do you think about Mido (forgetting attitude problems of him, Adriano, Ibra etc...)

:D

Depends on what we want. I think if we sell Keane then we go for the real deal and not look for a stop gap. Palacios is a good player. Figureoa has struggled in his career so I'm not sure. Mido would be a typical short term player I think.

However I don't think Keane will leave in January. If he does it will be in the summer.

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 12:38
You do realise Kuyt was 10M and Ronaldo was already at Man.Utd.

Err yeh, I'm not COMPLETELY stupid lol

paddywhackery
16-12-08, 12:41
the sooner the better and good riddance!!. might be a good spurs player but way out of his league at liverpool. £20m -almost as much as fernando!! there's no comparison other than a donkey & a thoroughbred!!. I say get shut of him asap, minimise the losses and chalk it down as a rush of blood to Rafa's head!.

Keane is an average player-no more than that. Never was and never will be any more than that. He's captain of Ireland(my country) and he's ***** with a green jersey on him as well. His attitude to being substituted speaks volumes. He believes he has a divine right to be on the park even when clearly he's not capable of delivering.

While he's packing up he might just take Dossena with him. The guy is a turkey- the worst I've seen for many years in a red Jersey.

PillBoxHat
16-12-08, 12:43
the sooner the better and good riddance!!. might be a good spurs player but way out of his league at liverpool. £20m -almost as much as fernando!! there's no comparison other than a donkey & a thoroughbred!!. I say get shut of him asap, minimise the losses and chalk it down as a rush of blood to Rafa's head!.

Keane is an average player-no more than that. Never was and never will be any more than that. He's captain of Ireland(my country) and he's ***** with a green jersey on him as well. His attitude to being substituted speaks volumes. He believes he has a divine right to be on the park even when clearly he's not capable of delivering.

While he's packing up he might just take Dossena with him. The guy is a turkey- the worst I've seen for many years in a red Jersey.

keane is Irelands all time top goal scorer, i'd hardly call him ***** in the green jersey.

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 12:45

I wonder how bad your first 22 posts were...:rolleyes:

johnlfcynwa11
16-12-08, 12:49
Err yeh, I'm not COMPLETELY stupid lol

So why write it?

PillBoxHat
16-12-08, 12:50
irish international teams are hardly world class to be honest now are they? I'm irish and dont like admitting that. the beat team we had in the last 30 years was that under jack charlton!!. Kick the ball as far up the park and run after it with your head down like school boys. This is hardly a yardstick with which to measure any liverpool striker.

dont be daft, its international football we are talking about, Aldridge played in one of the most exciting if not the most exciting liverpool team ever and played for Ireland during the 'jack' era and never got near Keane's goal tally.

Chris-Ninis
16-12-08, 12:51

Palacio has pure blistering speed which is his best attribute, but he also has the technical ability to be fantastic. He also plays more as a forward than a striker so he is a little more diverse in the roles he can play. The only thing that worries me is that he's 26 and never left Argentina, so is there something that we don't know?

As for Figureoa, like Fowi said he's struggled most of his career outside of South America. He's only on loan at Boca at the moment but this is what happened when he went to Villareal - they loaned him to River Plate as he wasn't cutting the mustard. If he can't get a start at Genoa (admittedly Milito is on fire) then I don't see how he could help us out here.

You mentioned Adriano. I would definitely take a gamble on him. Even on a 6 month loan with an option to buy.

Tickler
16-12-08, 12:52
This is a strange one
as it stands now, stevie and torres are the 1st choice front 2
kuyt is the replacement for torres and i am guessing keane is the replacement for gerard which looks like very little game time for keane.
This formation is very dependent on the main striker being prolific which torres was last season
I would be shocked if heskey comes in January as he does not score enough goals to work in this formation as he would be cover for torres
As for keane i would be surprised if we managed to offload him in january.
The more i think about this move it seems to me that rafa was banking on signing barry and offloading alonso and playing gerard in midfield.
this has not happened and alonso is playing well so keane loses out

paddywhackery
16-12-08, 12:53
getting back to keane, do we really think he's good enough to play for liverpool? honestly honestly honestly???

aylesbyred
16-12-08, 12:56
Gerrard 'suggests Keane could leave'- Setanta

I left Setanta the other month - ******* murder it was ringing me every other day.

****** Irish.

obriendj
16-12-08, 12:57
His attitude to being substituted speaks volumes. He believes he has a divine right to be on the park even when clearly he's not capable of delivering.

There is nothing wrong with being **** when being subbed!! it shows that he wants to play - he is **** because he is not delivering and knows he is a better player than how he is playing.

Its worth noting that if Keane played instead of Kuyt on Saturday and played half as bad he would be off - why wasnt kuyt subbed?

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 12:57

So why write it?

I think you missed the point mate. This guy said:

God I hate Kuyt.

So I responded by saying:

My point was, he/she is saying without Kuyt we would be 5 points behind the leaders and possibly not in the champs league. I personally saw that as a poor point however, considering if Kuyt wasn’t playing, someone else would have been, and therefore the game would have been different ... hence the “all ifs and buts” statement. I just don’t agree Kuyt should get too much praise, merely for scoring a couple of goals and working hard because if someone else had been playing in his place, I think we could be doing a lot better.

Sneets
16-12-08, 12:58
getting back to keane, do we really think he's good enough to play for liverpool? honestly honestly honestly???

He is a better footballer than Kuyt who gets 90 minutes every game.

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
without Kuyt we would be 5 points behind the leaders and possibly not in the champs league.

how do you know someone else wouldnt have scored?

obriendj

Yes, yes YES!!!!

waittillmay
Palacio has pure blistering speed which is his best attribute, but he also has the technical ability to be fantastic. He also plays more as a forward than a striker so he is a little more diverse in the roles he can play. The only thing that worries me is that he's 26 and never left Argentina, so is there something that we don't know?

Cheers for that. I always though Palermo was the stronger of the two but it doesn't seem to be that way reading what you and Fowi have said. Again, my viewing of all three has been limited :)

For the record I would also gamble on Adriano, however I'm not too sure what he is like aerially which is what we lack. Most of the time I see him it's usually a 20 yard run and whack at/in goal. I don't know how good his box play is or if he would make runs into the box to attack balls? Any comments?

johnlfcynwa11
16-12-08, 12:59
I think you missed the point mate. This guy said:

So I responded by saying:

My point was, he/she is saying without Kuyt we would be 5 points behind the leaders and possibly not in the champs league. I personally saw that as a poor point however, considering if Kuyt wasn’t playing, someone else would have been, and therefore the game would have been different ... hence the “all ifs and buts” statement. I just don’t agree Kuyt should get too much praise, merely for scoring a couple of goals and working hard because if someone else had been playing in his place, I think we could be doing a lot better.

Cool man.

Sneets
16-12-08, 13:01
Cheers for that. I always though Palermo was the stronger of the two but it doesn't seem to be that way reading what you and Fowi have said. Again, my viewing of all three has been limited :)

For the record I would also gamble on Adriano, however I'm not too sure what he is like aerially which is what we lack. Most of the time I see him it's usually a 20 yard run and whack at/in goal. I don't know how good his box play is or if he would make runs into the box to attack balls? Any comments?

Adriano is a walking disaster. Ill disciplined, a playboy and a nutcase. Just perfect for Rafa.

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 13:03
Its worth noting that if Keane played instead of Kuyt on Saturday and played half as bad he would be off - why wasnt kuyt subbed?

Indeed. Keane is so much better than Kuyt, yet gets so much more criticism on here. Makes absolutely NO sense at all.

johnlfcynwa11
16-12-08, 13:04
Adriano seems to have gotten worse as he's matured, well should have matured anyway.

paddywhackery
16-12-08, 13:05
Yes, yes YES!!!!

never never never!!

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 13:05
how do you know someone else wouldnt have scored?

Are you unable to read my friend?

You have misquoted me completely, and just made EXACTLY the same point I made whilst doing so.

FlabbyAlonso
16-12-08, 13:06
http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/12/16/mark-lawrenson-i-m-not-sure-liverpool-will-keep-robbie-keane-64375-22483829/

Our very own local paper is also quoting Lawro without anything being attributed to speaking to Gerrard. Although Lawro was in Liverpool on sunday for the BBC Sports personality 2008 awards. Struan Marshall is also Robbie Keane's and Steven Gerrrard's agent (nice work if you can get it). So there you have the pieces of the jigsaw. What is the truth ? Maybe Struan Marshall is trying to make something out of the situation. Maybe Robbie simply threw a bit of a tantrum after not getting picked and moaned at his agent about wishing he'd never come here....who knows. Surprised no one has come up with a conspiracy theory that the owners simply haven't the cash to pay the balance on a transfer that simply isn't working out and want some of their money back !!!

Sneets
16-12-08, 13:06
Adriano seems to have gotten worse as he's matured, well should have matured anyway.

Sorry to use the word "nutcase" above in case it caused you any offence. Very PC on here you know.

obriendj
16-12-08, 13:07
Indeed. Keane is so much better than Kuyt, yet gets so much more criticism on here. Makes absolutely NO sense at all.

To make things clear I am not having a go at Kuyt I think he is a strong worker and has scored some very important goals. I think that Keane needs a break - he played great against PSV so why is he (or Babel) not rewarded?

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
16-12-08, 13:07
Are you unable to read my friend?

You have misquoted me completely, and just made EXACTLY the same point I made whilst doing so.

:D i did indeed, my mistake

Chris-Ninis
16-12-08, 13:08

He is good aerially, but the thing that's great about him is his technique. On his day he is/was one of the best players in the world. He'll also be a front man that can do what Stevie does - get a goal out of nothing from 25 yards. Also a fantastic set piece taker (and he'd want to take them too ;)).

His problem is his attitude. It looks like he may have cleared his head a bit after being loaned back to Brazil last year, but how long that will last no one knows. Like I said - a 6 month loan with an option to buy - I can't see that as too big a gamble. Rafa would know after 6 months if he can keep him happy.

Saigrin
16-12-08, 13:09
http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/12/16/mark-lawrenson-i-m-not-sure-liverpool-will-keep-robbie-keane-64375-22483829/

Our very own local paper is also quoting Lawro without anything being attributed to speaking to Gerrard. Although Lawro was in Liverpool on sunday for the BBC Sports personality 2008 awards. Struan Marshall is also Robbie Keane's and Steven Gerrrard's agent (nice work if you can get it). So there you have the pieces of the jigsaw. What is the truth ? Maybe Struan Marshall is trying to make something out of the situation. Maybe Robbie simply threw a bit of a tantrum after not getting picked and moaned at his agent about wishing he'd never come here....who knows. Surprised no one has come up with a conspiracy theory that the owners simply haven't the cash to pay the balance on a transfer that simply isn't working out and want some of their money back !!!

hmmm - wouldnt be surprising

KloppBoy
16-12-08, 13:12
To make things clear I am not having a go at Kuyt I think he is a strong worker and has scored some very important goals. I think that Keane needs a break - he played great against PSV so why is he (or Babel) not rewarded?

I understand. Athough Kuyt does seem to have become somewhat immune to criticism now Keane has arrived.(Yes I know he does still get some stick) Fans are very fickle. Kuyt scores a few goals and suddenly he is great again to some and his defence is justified. Well he isn't great, far from it, and is a big problem as to why our play is not very fluid going forward most of the time IMO.

Saying this, I will always support him no matter what, cus he sweats blood for the cause and loves the club. I just don't, and never will, think he is LFC quality.

johnlfcynwa11
16-12-08, 13:13
Sorry to use the word "nutcase" above in case it caused you any offence. Very PC on here you know.

Haha. Nopes think thats Ok pal. Or is it?!?! :@

johnlfcynwa11
16-12-08, 13:17
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11854_4653500,00.html

Talk of the devil. Flamengo after Adriano.

king-Carra
16-12-08, 13:26
This is getting ridiculous. Keane should be given a fair crack of the whip and that in football terms means at least a season.

And the club should confirm he is staying too. Getting very sick of rafa and his inability to give a straight answer and stop this " iwe are focusing on the game" and i thought the team............." crap. If he would just answer the question one way or the other then he could focus on the game and stop this speculation. That in itself is enough to damage a players confidence.

timchat
16-12-08, 13:35
Heskey would be a decent replacement for Keane as a value for money / short term option

But I've been told that Guillem ballague is saying that were getting Villa at £30m in Jan - a total surprise to me but if Keane and Babel go then that will virtually pay for it.

I've tried googling it but cant find any reference to a Villa/Liverpol deal

can anyone else shed any light on the situation

slimman
16-12-08, 13:36
Not sure who said what to whom and quite frankly i don't care.

I think if anything happens and it';s a massive IF for me, it'll be the summer.

Rafa knows he hasn't given him the chance yet and it'll come in the second half of the season with him starting more games.

The rest is just speculation. Well, that's my 2 pennies worth anyway :shrugs:

Fowi
16-12-08, 13:36
He is good aerially, but the thing that's great about him is his technique. On his day he is/was one of the best players in the world. He'll also be a front man that can do what Stevie does - get a goal out of nothing from 25 yards. Also a fantastic set piece taker (and he'd want to take them too ;)).

His problem is his attitude. It looks like he may have cleared his head a bit after being loaned back to Brazil last year, but how long that will last no one knows. Like I said - a 6 month loan with an option to buy - I can't see that as too big a gamble. Rafa would know after 6 months if he can keep him happy.

Yea Adriano has no apparent weakness apart from his off the field problems. On the pitch he always produces, even when he's been drinking the night before. He's had so many incidents in the past 2 years but he still plays really well every time he's given the chance. He is just so talented it's scary.

Chris-Ninis
16-12-08, 13:37
Heskey would be a decent replacement for Keane as a value for money / short term option

But I've been told that Guillem ballague is saying that were getting Villa at £30m in Jan - a total surprise to me but if Keane and Babel go then that will virtually pay for it.

I've tried googling it but cant find any reference to a Villa/Liverpol deal

can anyone else shed any light on the situation

Mate I haven't heard Balague say anything like that at all. But then again I don't pay attention to him regarding transfer speculation. He seems to revel in it too much.

waittillmay
16-12-08, 13:37

I think the Heskey boat won't revisited.

That could be rehashed from at any time over the last three years unfortunately.

Chris-Ninis
16-12-08, 13:38
Yea Adriano has no apparent weakness apart from his off the field problems. On the pitch he always produces, even when he's been drinking the night before. He's had so many incidents in the past 2 years but he still plays really well every time he's given the chance. He is just so talented it's scary.

Do you think he's a little more settled now Fowi? I know that he and Mourinho have known each other for years.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
16-12-08, 13:39
Do you think he's a little more settled now Fowi? I know that he and Mourinho have known each other for years.

He got sent home last week for turning up to training drunk.

Fowi
16-12-08, 13:41

Actually it seems like he's had more run ins with Mourinho than Mancini. Mourinho REALLY wants Adriano to do well. He keeps picking him in big games but the very next day Adriano does something stupid again. It seems he is not the brightest and hangs out with problematic people.

FlabbyAlonso
16-12-08, 13:42
Interviewer: "So Rafa is there any truth that Robbie Keane will be leaving in January?"

Rafa:"Robbie has a lot of kwality and possibilities for the club, no?"

Interviewer; "But it's rumoured that Stevie G gave the nod and the wink to Mark Lawrenson the other night"

Rafa:"Mark Lawrenson, the Football Focus guy, ahh yes he is man of the merr-ment. I am only thinking of my kidney stones"

Interviewer:"So are you saying that Robbie Keane will still be at Liverpool for the rest of this season."

Rafa:"Robbie is a fine player and as I said he is a great guy to have in the sqwuad. So there are many possibilities for Robbie. But now I have to rotate myself so I can allow the doctor to get up front and move deeper outside the box and round the back"

PillBoxHat
16-12-08, 13:42
how old is Adriano now?

Fowi
16-12-08, 13:44
Adriano is 26.

PillBoxHat
16-12-08, 13:48
Adriano is 26.

its about time he got himself together, cant see Mourinho putting up with him for long

Chris-Ninis
16-12-08, 13:49
its about time he got himself together, cant see Mourinho putting up with him for long

Apparently Mourinho has already said he can go.

PillBoxHat
16-12-08, 13:51
Apparently Mourinho has already said he can go.

a quiter smaller city might be what he needs, or it could completely drive him up the wall :D worth a gamble

Fowi
16-12-08, 13:53
I think he'd find a bottle of something wherever you sent him. He won't sort it out unless he either has to or wants to. He doesn't have to so we can only wait until he realises he wants to be a great player again.

Chris-Ninis
16-12-08, 13:57
I think he'd find a bottle of something wherever you sent him. He won't sort it out unless he either has to or wants to. He doesn't have to so we can only wait until he realises he wants to be a great player again.

So you wouldn't take a gamble on him like I described above?

Kello26
16-12-08, 14:02
It would be ridiculus to sell keane after only five months. Even when he was playin well he was still being subed which is going to effect anyones confidence. Even stevie g would not preform well if he was subbed nearly every game. I think rafa should get a clue, it took him four years to figure out that rotating the team doesent work. He stands by kuyt who is one of the worst players to wear a red shirt, he has no skill level at all he may work hard but that is only going to get us so far.

Fowi
16-12-08, 14:03
So you wouldn't take a gamble on him like I described above?

I would actually take him.

-Gola-
16-12-08, 14:04
cant believe this and in fact im gutted for keane. cant believe rafa would give up on him so quickly

PillBoxHat
16-12-08, 14:06
cant believe this and in fact im gutted for keane. cant believe rafa would give up on him so quickly

i'd seriously doubt he has, there is no way he will be going in January unless spurs get ridiculous.

bondred
16-12-08, 14:13
i'd seriously doubt he has, there is no way he will be going in January unless spurs get ridiculous.

Spurs can't buy him until next August

PillBoxHat
16-12-08, 14:15
Spurs can't buy him until next August

there you go then, he will definetely be here come the end of the season. the only way is up really for Keane, but I just cant see him getting the kind of game time he wants unless rafa starts to drop either masch or alonso and play gerrard in central midfield.

slimman
16-12-08, 14:20
there you go then, he will definetely be here come the end of the season. the only way is up really for Keane, but I just cant see him getting the kind of game time he wants unless rafa starts to drop either masch or alonso and play gerrard in central midfield.

I can't believe what people are saying, because Lawro said it it must be true.

For me, anytime one of our players is out and apparently said something to someone then it's speculation. I don't care if Gerrard told Dalglish something -- it's speculation, there is spin that can be worked and the person can jazz it up or down anyway they want it....it's not worth believing.

For things like this an official word has to come from the club or from Rafa himself.

waittillmay
16-12-08, 14:20
The thing about Keane is that even with his best performances he was not a £20 million player.

Gerrard and Torres are worth probably £80 million between them. How can anyone expect a £20 million player to break up that partnership which is superb.

It is frustrating because that £20 million could have been spent on players who could walk into their respective positions. Keane and Dossena are both suffering because of this, although Dossena had only Aurelio in front of him.

The price tag isn't Keane's fault, but the cash is a little too much too swallow given that certain positions are really threadbare. However, the point remains, even if Keane does hit his high point he is simply not worth £20 million to our club, and we don't have time to see if 28 year old players can eventually come good.

DeisePaddy
16-12-08, 14:21
Betrayed? I don't think the article reflects well on Lawro. He comes across as a gossip.

he comes across as a woman

which is what he is like anyway.

Would not be suprised if Keane goes, he spends all his time sulking, which is not the Liverpool way.

Keane imo would not have made any difference if he had come on in the last two league games, he offers no threat whatsoever.

Thespian
16-12-08, 14:22
Adriano is available bit of a mental case but very very talented.

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
16-12-08, 14:23
i think we can all agree that rafa made a monumental **** up by signing him.

-Gola-
16-12-08, 14:26
i'll post this in here cos im getting ignored on the other keane thread, maybe im talking crap, this has no relevance to what were talking about on here but still would like to know what others think. :D

the problem for keane is we have no width and the space he usually operates in is dominated by gerrard whether he is playing centre mid or not. playing with the like of benayoun and kuyt also eats up the space for keane. we seen the best of keane during the psv game in which his position of dropping off the main striker worked well. this was because we had players in babel and riera that at least held there positions out wide and no gerrard taking his space.

keane will never be a success here with gerrard and our lack of width, and our we gonna get rid of gerrard to accomodate keane, no chance in hell, so he's gonna have to leave. which is sad because he is a really good player but we'll never get to see this.

makes me wonder how a top coach in rafa couldn't see this before spending £20m on the player.

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
16-12-08, 14:27
everyone ignore Golazodetorres

Sneets
16-12-08, 14:27
i think we can all agree that rafa made a monumental **** up by signing him.

There is more to this whole thing than any of us know. It may be no more than the two of them ( Keane and Rafa) instinctively disliking each other, it sometimes happens.

-Gola-
16-12-08, 14:32
everyone ignore Golazodetorres

you ******* craig :crying

you do make me laugh

what do you think, or are you just gonna ignore me, if you do i'll scream and stomp my feet untill you answer me :D

Thespian
16-12-08, 14:37
Let's be honest here the problem has nothing to do with Keane, Liverpool or Rafa.

It is the No 7 shirt that is the main culprit here

Quite simply it is cursed.

Ever since Kenny Dalglish the No 7 shirt has been the death knell of many a talented player.

No matter who has worn the famous shirt not one of them has been a success.

Change Keane's squad number and then we will see his true potential.

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
16-12-08, 14:37
you ******* craig :crying

you do make me laugh

what do you think, or are you just gonna ignore me, if you do i'll scream and stomp my feet untill you answer me :D

i do agree, it was confusing when he signed him and still is, gerrard and torres had just created a nearly unrivalled partnership and understanding only for that to be broken up. why rafa did this is beyond me and beyond most people it seems.

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
16-12-08, 14:38
There is more to this whole thing than any of us know. It may be no more than the two of them ( Keane and Rafa) instinctively disliking each other, it sometimes happens.

it could well be that, mate. i do get the impression that rafa isnt the best of people to work with

waittillmay
16-12-08, 14:42
the problem for keane is we have no width and the space he usually operates in is dominated by gerrard whether he is playing centre mid or not. playing with the like of benayoun and kuyt also eats up the space for keane. we seen the best of keane during the psv game in which his position of dropping off the main striker worked well. this was because we had players in babel and riera that at least held there positions out wide and no gerrard taking his space.

Our players just get in the way of each other because they are drawn to what they consider their 'natural position'. It took ages for Gerrard to build up discipline to stop trying to run everywhere.

When we play Yossi he gets in Keanes way, when we play Keane he gets in Gerrards way, when he is up front he gets in Torres' way.

No manager gets it right 100% of the time, and usualyl when he buys big he does get it right, this time he didn't. We have to accept it and either:

(i) wait and hope he delivers second half of the season;
(ii) cut our losses;
(iii) Accept this season will be under par and give him a couple of seasons which we did for Alonso;

The way Rafa talks about him having most of his goals and influence in the second half of the season suggests he will still be here end of the season, but I don't think we or Robbie have the time for (iii).

Chris-Ninis
16-12-08, 14:42

Possibly, but I think if I spent £20 million of my employers money on something or someone I'd make sure I learnt to love it

Well then you sir are a stupid *****.

You should be proud to be Irish.

Random stuff like this is why I love these boards...

Sneets
16-12-08, 14:44
i do agree, it was confusing when he signed him and still is, gerrard and torres had just created a nearly unrivalled partnership and understanding only for that to be broken up. why rafa did this is beyond me and beyond most people it seems.

Many of us thought that the set up would be Torres up front supported by Gerrard, Keane and Babel playing a fluid interchanging game much like United do. But it seems we were wrong as even with Torres available this has not been the set up. So as you say where does Keane fit and why was he bought?

Jay-Cutlers-Thumb
Possibly, but I think if I spent £20 million of my employers money on something or someone I'd make sure I learnt to love it

Random stuff like this is why I love these boards...

Yeah sorry completely off topic I know but had to respond :D

KloppBoy

I understand what you guys are saying, but this is assuming we play 4-3-3/4-5-1 every game. I'm assuming Rafa brought Keane with the intention of playing 4-4-2 against lesser opposition, particularly in home games, so that he can play Gerrard in CM (where he wants to play) and Torres and Keane upfront together.

How many times has this actually happened this season? Has it actually happened this season?

You can find negatives in Rafa's decision to sign Keane if you want, but it is only a bad signing - to some - in hindsight, looking at his start to his Anfield career.

Personally, I don't think he has done too badly at all, and I think there has been worse performers, who are receiving less stick for one reason or another.

peej1969
16-12-08, 14:45
Keane wont be the first striker to come to LFC and not fulfill their potential but I think its far too early to judge. Crouch took 17 odd games to score his first goal.

Thespian
16-12-08, 14:47
Well then you sir are a stupid *****.

You should be proud to be Irish.

With a user name like 'nuttyGAELICred' its not as if the original guy was hiding the fact is it???

Jay-Cutlers-Thumb
16-12-08, 14:57
With a user name like 'nuttyGAELICred' its not as if the original guy was hiding the fact is it???

true that's why I was suprised he said it :confused:

PillBoxHat
16-12-08, 15:00
forget it Foro, the lad hasn't a clue

Kello26
16-12-08, 15:26

Maybe rafa is the problem with his rush of blood to the head more than that my friend, look at the players hes bought who are simply not lfc quality. nunez, hosami, zenden, gonzalez, pelligrino, kuyt , benayon, ngog, lucas elzhar dossena, and thats just off the top of my head, how much did it cost for that pile of *****

jonoway
16-12-08, 15:30
[url]The Reds have reportedly only paid a quarter of the €23 million due to Spurs for the player

If this is indeed the case get shot immediately in my humble opinion.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
16-12-08, 15:31
If this is indeed the case get shot immediately in my humble opinion.

To Spurs you mean?

Andyfagan
16-12-08, 15:32
Maybe rafa is the problem with his rush of blood to the head more than that my friend, look at the players hes bought who are simply not lfc quality. nunez, hosami, zenden, gonzalez, pelligrino, kuyt , benayon, ngog, lucas elzhar dossena, and thats just off the top of my head, how much did it cost for that pile of *****

Grow up. You can pick awful buys for any manager, and the fact you've classified Kuyt, 3 youngsters and a defender who's had all of 3 months to prove himself says words about how ignorant you're being. Also, why isn't Keane on that list? Kuyt's form has been FAR superior to Keane's this season. Hell, I'd probably say El Zhar's shown better form than Keane for most of the season...

festinho
16-12-08, 15:38
Find it strange that Gerrard would talk out of school like that.

Stranger that Lawro should quote him outrightly like that. It looked like a private, 'off-the-record' conversation to me. I hope Lawro was drunk and didn't understand what Stevie was saying to him.:D

jonoway
16-12-08, 16:02
To Spurs you mean?

We can't do that until the end of the season.
I'm sure there are a number of loopholes we can use.

For instance I am sure the fee was "performance and/or appearence related"
Keane can be loaned for 6 months somewhere else with a view to returning to Spurs.

Until Spurs are paid in full I would assume Keane remains their property to a certain extent even though we currently hold his player registration.

If we are liable to paying the remaining £15m I am sure it could be better spent elsewhere & like I said I am sure there are ways to end this deal prior to paying anymore of what has got to be one of the most outrageous transfer fees ever paid by LFC.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
16-12-08, 16:04
We can't do that until the end of the season.
I'm sure there are a number of loopholes we can use.

For instance I am sure the fee was "performance and/or appearence related"
Keane can be loaned for 6 months somewhere else with a view to returning to Spurs.

Until Spurs are paid in full I would assume Keane remains their property to a certain extent even though we currently hold his player registration.

If we are liable to paying the remaining £15m I am sure it could be better spent elsewhere & like I said I am sure there are ways to end this deal prior to paying anymore of what has got to be one of the most outrageous transfer fees ever paid by LFC.

Only a small amount of the fee will be appearence/achievement related.

It's not like we can flog him to Newcastle and actually come out with a profit.

festinho
16-12-08, 16:49
8 goals in 36 games last season, and a string of unimpressive performances meant he was loaned out to Benifca. Benifca may be decent and he may have had an impact, but it's not the best league, and if you judge him on his European record, even this season, it's nothing special. In fact his career goals record is pretty average at best.

I know you are being realistic, but for £20 odd million I think we could definitely find someone better than him. I know we can't go sign Eto, Villa etc but I believe we should aim slightly higher.

If this is true, we don't need no one else up top - he should use Babel. Use the money to bring in Heinze, but i seriously doubt this story

festinho
16-12-08, 16:53

He wanted to drop Gerrard back to CM as he was being advised by fans and the media who know much more than him about football:rolleyes:

gav977
16-12-08, 16:59
Reckon he needs to lose the No.7 shirt, think its become a bit of a jinx since kenny.......

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
16-12-08, 17:01
He wanted to drop Gerrard back to CM as he was being advised by fans and the media who know much more than him about football:rolleyes:

are you suggesting rafa was going to give into media and fan pressure? not a chance.

festinho
16-12-08, 17:08
are you suggesting rafa was going to give into media and fan pressure? not a chance.

No I'm not. My point is Rafa is damned if he did and damned if he didn't. The guy can't win in some people's eyes. If we want to be champions of England, we need to start feeling comfortable with the fact that players worth £20m will be on the bench - that's an indication of strength in depth. If Keane doesn't deserve to be a first team player based on his performances, so be it, let him be a squad player until he can turn things around.

Keverson
16-12-08, 17:10

If this was true then Lucas would've been sold off by now, Keane would have came on at the weekend and Babel would have been given more of a chance.

Rafa give in to fan pressure? You must be joking.

festinho
16-12-08, 17:13
If this was true then Lucas would've been sold off by now, Keane would have came on at the weekend and Babel would have been given more of a chance.

Rafa give in to fan pressure? You must be joking.

I was being sarcastic.

Keverson
16-12-08, 17:22
I seen your reply to Craig and agree with what you say, some people just have an inferiority complex - I've lost count the number of matches that are being used as "title-credential" indicators.

It's sad that we haven't been able to take advantage of Chelsea's/Man Utds/Arsenals poor results given our home fixtures, but that's football I guess.

tobitrice
16-12-08, 17:22
If we can get in another good striker, i wont shed a tear. keane is really starting to stink up the place! that said rafa could have done a better job of showing keane some support!

festinho
16-12-08, 17:31
I seen your reply to Craig and agree with what you say, some people just have an inferiority complex - I've lost count the number of matches that are being used as "title-credential" indicators.

It's sad that we haven't been able to take advantage of Chelsea's/Man Utds/Arsenals poor results given our home fixtures, but that's football I guess.

Yes, I expected better from us as well. If we deal with the facts however, we seem to be playing better away from home. I have never been more confident in our ability to win matches away from home as I have been this season. I bet Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal are thinking the same as us - the comforting thing for us is we've got something they haven't - pole position.

The media can say whatever they like. I don't think Scolari, Fergie or Wenger are thinking that our title challenge will fizzle out, they will be rightly taking our challenge seriously. The one thing that gives me hope above all else, we as fans don't think we're playing well but look at where we are. When we do play well....

LIVERBIRDMX
16-12-08, 17:49
In the following priority order:

1. Michael Owen
2. Javier Saviola
3. Hernán Crespo
4. Lucas Podolski

sfsanj
16-12-08, 17:55
IF this does happen, then I would think Owen will be on the shopping list. I wonder how much this has to do with the financial issues with us. 15m wipped off the books that we would have owed.

LIVERBIRDMX
16-12-08, 17:59
4-4-2

-------------------------------Reina---------------------------
--Arbeloa-----------Agger-------------Carra-----------Aurelio---
----Babel-----------Gerrard------------Alonso---------Riera----
--------------------Owen------------Torres-------------------

-------------------------------Reina---------------------------
--Arbeloa-----------Agger-------------Carra-----------Aurelio---
----Babel-----------Gerrard------------Alonso---------Riera----
--------------------Podolski------------Torres-------------------

4-2-3-1

-------------------------------Reina-----------------------------
--Arbeloa-----------Agger--------------Carra--------------Aurelio-
----------------------Masch-------Alonso------------------------
----Babel--------------------Gerrard-----------------Riera-------
---------------------Owen------------------------------------

king-Carra
16-12-08, 18:12
Keep Keane.Taking the decision to sell him will either make or break rafa.

Gibz
16-12-08, 18:38
If Rafa will spend £10m on Kuyt and persist to play him though bad spells I'm sure he will do the same for a player he spent £20m on.

This whole Keane thing has been blown way out of proportion anyway.

king-Carra
16-12-08, 18:40
If Rafa will spend £10m on Kuyt and persist to play him though bad spells I'm sure he will do the same for a player he spent £20m on.

This whole Keane thing has been blown way out of proportion anyway.

Finally someone not getting caught up in the frenzy. well done;)

petpiranha
16-12-08, 18:59
As fans we can debate all we want. Ultimately, the dtake care see you
If we don't win this season there will be a split among fans between those who were glad we finally challenged and know that our overall progress is continuing steadily VS those who are fed up of waiting for our next domestic league title and are prepared to risk rebuilding the squad with a new manager to make it happen.

Many of us would give Rafa a new contract. Others however would probably prefer to see how this season pans out before doing so. I wonder if that's what the owners are thinking?

Most of us, including Rafa, did not expect Alonso to find his best form this season. That has changed things considerably because either Mascherano or Keane were going to suffer depending on where Gerrard played.

As it turns out, Rafa has given Keane as much playing time as he feels he can (just look at Blackburn & Ince to see what PL pressure is) in these circumstances. If Alonso, Gerrard and Torres are now first in the spine, then either Keane or Mascherano will be on the bench and unhappy.

Leaving money aside, Mascherano is a better asset to the team given his age and talent. If Keane is unhappy with this - and he is - then he has to go.

I don't envy trying to manage a squad of 22+ male egos who are all paid outrageous sums of money. Rafa does it well and now we can thank Sammy for the man-management skills.

If Keane truly loves his childhood club, as a millionaire, he should realise that he must sacrifice his own personal ambitions THIS SEASON to help give Liverpool their first title since 1990. He must lead by example to others, not scowling for playing or not playing.

If he can't do that and is disrupting the dressing room, then he has to go.

Life isn't fair, so saying Keane should get "a fair chance" is nonsense.

Rafa has to do whatever it takes to win. No-one is bigger than the club.

con1982
16-12-08, 19:18

give him time its that clown benitez who should be giving him time, like 90 minutes run out in a few games would help the lad.

Hoogle
16-12-08, 19:36

I agree. Not only that but Keane loves Liverpool and I can only see him having a good attitude and therefore rafa would be happy with him. I also don't believe the original story. I don't believe that Gerrard would say that sort of thing, but even if he did I don't believe that Lawro would pass it to the press.

Hoogle
16-12-08, 19:54
Let's be honest here the problem has nothing to do with Keane, Liverpool or Rafa.

It is the No 7 shirt that is the main culprit here

Quite simply it is cursed.

Ever since Kenny Dalglish the No 7 shirt has been the death knell of many a talented player.

No matter who has worn the famous shirt not one of them has been a success.

Change Keane's squad number and then we will see his true potential.

I reckon you could be on to something.

king-Carra
16-12-08, 20:15
All he needs is the support we gave crouch. i reckon on sunday we should sing his song the same we got behind alonso in the early part of the season. it would boost his confidence and also let all the muppets stirring stuff in the press know that we have every belief in him.

I can see him scoring against arsenal if he plays and he should play. What a difference a goal or two there would make for him and us.

dave1979
16-12-08, 20:42

Give the lad time and he'll do what Rafa bought him for, to help the lads out and get some assists.

Spot on.

TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel
16-12-08, 20:50
Surprised is Stevie did say that to a BBC journalist, and Keane is not a quitter. I believe he would rather stay and fight for his position. but if he did and with the money stilled owed to Tottingham, and dealing with Harry Redknapp, the deal would probably be something silly like Keane, Benayoun and Babel to move to Spurs and Aaaron Lennnon moving this way, with all debt quashed.

dave1979
16-12-08, 20:54
As fans we can debate all we want. Ultimately, the dtake care see you
If we don't win this season there will be a split among fans between those who were glad we finally challenged and know that our overall progress is continuing steadily VS those who are fed up of waiting for our next domestic league title and are prepared to risk rebuilding the squad with a new manager to make it happen.

Many of us would give Rafa a new contract. Others however would probably prefer to see how this season pans out before doing so. I wonder if that's what the owners are thinking?

Most of us, including Rafa, did not expect Alonso to find his best form this season. That has changed things considerably because either Mascherano or Keane were going to suffer depending on where Gerrard played.

As it turns out, Rafa has given Keane as much playing time as he feels he can (just look at Blackburn & Ince to see what PL pressure is) in these circumstances. If Alonso, Gerrard and Torres are now first in the spine, then either Keane or Mascherano will be on the bench and unhappy.

Leaving money aside, Mascherano is a better asset to the team given his age and talent. If Keane is unhappy with this - and he is - then he has to go.

I don't envy trying to manage a squad of 22+ male egos who are all paid outrageous sums of money. Rafa does it well and now we can thank Sammy for the man-management skills.

If Keane truly loves his childhood club, as a millionaire, he should realise that he must sacrifice his own personal ambitions THIS SEASON to help give Liverpool their first title since 1990. He must lead by example to others, not scowling for playing or not playing.

If he can't do that and is disrupting the dressing room, then he has to go.

Life isn't fair, so saying Keane should get "a fair chance" is nonsense.

Rafa has to do whatever it takes to win. No-one is bigger than the club.

Superb post

dave1979
16-12-08, 21:14
If this is true, we don't need no one else up top - he should use Babel. Use the money to bring in Heinze, but i seriously doubt this story

Agree with that. In fact, if Benitez had got his way we'd have a left side of Heinze and Barry, both players publicly stated they wanted to come. Shame.

Also makes me wonder what might have happened if we'd have had Heinze instead of Riise in last yes CL semi vs Chelsea, if you know what I mean ;)

sfsanj
16-12-08, 21:15
Good post, it's simple, if Keane is not working and Rafa believes there is another player he can use/bring in that would get us the goals...then we have to execute to that...Simple. Liverpool FC always comes first....

ManOfSteel
16-12-08, 22:29
I read on the internet tonight that Lawrenson gave an interview today to Irish radio suggesting Keane may be off:

Source:Times Online

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5352386.ece

I hope that it is just a rumour...........:mad:

YesWeCan
16-12-08, 22:30

ManOfSteel
16-12-08, 22:32

Oops..didnt see that thread..only just got home..thanks

YesWeCan
16-12-08, 22:34
no probs mate :)

anfieldbound
16-12-08, 22:36
If Stevie G indeed said what Mark claimed, then Stevie G does not deserve to be the captain of this great club. As he should know better than unsettling the team by being loose with his mouth.

YNWA

Cullenator
16-12-08, 22:36
Oops..didnt see that thread..only just got home..thanks

No worries, ManOfSteel. You are in an exclusive club of people who are simply too cool to have to bother searching on the forum.

ManOfSteel
16-12-08, 22:40
No worries, ManOfSteel. You are in an exclusive club of people who are simply too cool to have to bother searching on the forum.

what a compliment! cheers for that mate..but you know at this precise moment I am seething to be honest at Lawrenson for revealing details of a private conversation he had with Gerrard. Really hoping Stevie-G comes out and rubbishes it all - I don't like to think of our captain as someone who breaks a confidence :mad:

hold51
16-12-08, 23:03
what a compliment! cheers for that mate..but you know at this precise moment I am seething to be honest at Lawrenson for revealing details of a private conversation he had with Gerrard. Really hoping Stevie-G comes out and rubbishes it all - I don't like to think of our captain as someone who breaks a confidence :mad:

mind you seems like lawro does!:rolleyes:

--Tom--
16-12-08, 23:04
KEANE :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

FlabbyAlonso
16-12-08, 23:06
Apparently Lawro took a merr-ment at the Echo Arena to speak to 2 local reds fans Steve & Gerard about Robbie Keane. He hasn't been misquoted just misunderstood :D

Sunraged
16-12-08, 23:07
lf Lawro has said this, he's a sell out and this is a disgrace.

He should have his Shirley Bassey records and Gok Wan DVD's confiscated immediately.

Oh and his favourite clutch handbag.

The big jessie.

LuisGarciasLittleMan
16-12-08, 23:47
I reckon you could be on to something.

100% spot on

Been thinking that for ages!!

Argenta
17-12-08, 12:08
If Gerrard didn't say to Lawrenson that Keane is leaving then why has he not denied it? Silence is a dangerous thing dont you think,and only adds to all the speculation:cool:

-Gola-
17-12-08, 12:11
If Gerrard didn't say to Lawrenson that Keane is leaving then why has he not denied it? Silence is a dangerous thing dont you think,and only adds to all the speculation:cool:

very true, they denie everything thats said in the press usually, no word from the player would suggest that its true

Argenta
17-12-08, 12:14
very worrrying could mean theres a clash of temprments here Keane being an ex captain and all.:fishing

festinho
17-12-08, 12:14

It's so ridiculous it doesn't deserve a denial. Keane and Benitez have spoken on the subject and that's the end of it, I suspect.

GarraGharrua1892
17-12-08, 12:15
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=mark-lawrenson-says-robbie-keane-may-leave-liverpool-not-steven-gerrard&method=full&objectid=22495901&siteid=50061-name_page.html

Maybe Gerrard has been told by LFC to be quiet on the matter. Too much talk & all gets blown
out of proportion, sadly. Lawrenson made the trouble that's for sure.

YesWeCan
17-12-08, 12:15
Keane needs some anger management, the little angry sod. Then he might start producing the goods on the field.

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
17-12-08, 12:16
It's so ridiculous it doesn't deserve a denial.

not so sure about that, the club have a very odd policy when it comes to denials, they stress the fact they dont waste their time denying press stories only to come out and deny certain press stories but not others. usually it's when parry is squirming.

radders33
17-12-08, 12:17
Apparently the club released a statement according to Sky Sports:

However the club have hit back and released a statement denying that Keane was set to be sold.

"Mark Lawrenson's remarks are his interpretation of a private chat between the two of them," read the statement.

"They do not accurately reflect Steven's opinion of Robbie Keane and they certainly do not tally with Steven's recollection of the conversation itself."

John-Pantsil-My-Lord
17-12-08, 12:18
Is this, therefore, unture & a rebuffal?

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=mark-lawrenson-says-robbie-keane-may-leave-liverpool-not-steven-gerrard&method=full&objectid=22495901&siteid=50061-name_page.html

that backtracking is actually embarrassing, he was recorded saying it for **** sake.

festinho
17-12-08, 12:23
Apparently the club released a statement according to Sky Sports:

See, I knew Lawrenson was drunk :D. He must have been hearing things. I bet he wasn't even sitting next to Gerrard, it must have been Andy Gray :rolleyes: Sod!

slimman
17-12-08, 13:03
that backtracking is actually embarrassing, he was recorded saying it for **** sake.

Glad our former greats are on our side....it's great to see :rolleyes:

johnlfcynwa11
17-12-08, 13:05
Heard on the radio that Lawrenson has since said Gerrard didnt say that.

SaltAndPepe
17-12-08, 13:12
Lawrenson's a muppet. Can't stand his punditry. Hansen is so much better.

gedzredz
17-12-08, 13:17
The chain of events..
-Stevie meets big mouth
-big mouth inquires about Robbie
-Stevie assumes it's private and gives honest ans
-big mouth thinks Irish radio goes out 5 people and tries to be clever by name dropping (which he hates:rolleyes:)
-Stevie is well upset
-big mouth back tracks quicker tha Dossena faced with a tricky winger

End result
Robbie leaves in Jan.

FistofRage
17-12-08, 13:45
Lawrenson is a tool of the highest order

Andyfagan
18-12-08, 20:59
big mouth back tracks quicker tha Dossena faced with a tricky winger

You couldn't have picked a worse analogy to be honest.

Daymo68
18-6-13, 19:58
I have a feeling Lawro could be right this time :D

mkd
18-6-13, 20:09

??

Kenny-Rodgers
18-6-13, 20:10
What a strange thread to bump.

L1verFC

On what ?

AnfieldPoots

Why are we bumping a 5 year old thread today?

Redhead
18-6-13, 20:13

What parallel universe do you live in? Don't you remember Keane's goals being the driving force to us winning number 19 and 20?

Lawro couldn't have been more wrong and me and my brain could not be more stable and happy.