PDA

View Full Version : Carragher worries me

festinho
22-12-08, 15:54
Jamie Carragher hasn't been himself for a lot of this season. He seems to have lost a nanosecond in his head, which helped him make last ditch tackles or read the opponents play.

The own goals are one thing - an occupational hazard. However, he seems to be lacking confidence, which is worrying. Yesterday, for example, he was turned inside out by Adebayor and just couldn't cope with him. He also made a few dodgy passes which could have put the team in trouble.

Is he losing his edge or is it just a phase? Is it time for Skrtel and Agger?

What do you think?

AtomicBagels
22-12-08, 15:56
I would like to see the Skrtel, Agger partnership
But Carra is a great insperation to the team as is Gerrard

Luchadeer
22-12-08, 16:01
I think he's been one of our best players this season, I don't really see why you should be worried. He's still way ahead of both Skrtel and Agger.

-Pace-
22-12-08, 16:08
I think he's been one of our best players this season, I don't really see why you should be worried. He's still way ahead of both Skrtel and Agger.

I disagree. He's still a good player but no where near the level that he was 2 years ago. Next season it's Skrtel and Agger for me.

GioTheHitman
22-12-08, 16:09
Id have Skrtl and Agger and put Carra out to grass at right back, where he is better than our current options.

EssexTony
22-12-08, 16:11
Skrtel Agger will be shocking. You take Carra out of there and our back line looks terrible even with Sami in there.

He runs that back line and don't be surprised the day he stops when people wonder why our back line aren't as well organised and the classy Agger and Skrtel don't look as class as Carra makes them look by dictating where they should be.

Sneets
22-12-08, 16:12
The centre back combinations keep changing so much as do the left back selections i am not surprised he looks a little less secure. Does Terry look as good at Chelsea with their changes in defense? The answer is no.

Speshhh
22-12-08, 16:15
He remains the greatest defender this club has ever had.

Every time I see him I thank the Lord he plays for us.

geralion
He is defo not the player he was 2 seasons back. His age is a factor. We need Agger and Skirtl with Carra perhaps keeping deep and not having to challenge for speed so much - how can he against faster, younger more physically deft players? What he can do is read the game magnificently and as such direct the others and not have to make so much running. Older defenders will always lack pace but have the brains to read the game better. Maybe his training needs to lighten up now? Thinking of two excellent defenders who lasted ages - Paul McGrath, Baresi - oh - also Tony Adams - whose ability to read the game during the later years at Arsenal meant he hardly ever crossed the half way line - and neither did the opposition ball!

hairybloke
The centre back combinations keep changing so much as do the left back selections i am not surprised he looks a little less secure. Does Terry look as good at Chelsea with their changes in defense? The answer is no.

Carvalho carries Terry, that's why they don't looke so good.

MickeyLove
22-12-08, 16:16
His distribution is still as poor as ever.... Been great most of this season doing what he is in the team to do though....

LIVERBIRDMX
22-12-08, 16:20
Jamie Carragher hasn't been himself for a lot of this season. He seems to have lost a nanosecond in his head, which helped him make last ditch tackles or read the opponents play.

The own goals are one thing - an occupational hazard. However, he seems to be lacking confidence, which is worrying. Yesterday, for example, he was turned inside out by Adebayor and just couldn't cope with him. He also made a few dodgy passes which could have put the team in trouble.

What do you think?

It is called aging my friend!

When you're near 30 and your playing 19-25 year olds strikers, there's a big difference, no matter how experienced you are, Robin Van Persie will always be quicker than you...and so will Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo, Adebayor, etc....

Agger-Skrtel would work perfectly! It is time for Carra to give the lads a chance and teach them all this defensive Genius called Jaime Carragher knows!

Sneets
22-12-08, 16:21
Carvalho carries Terry, that's why they don't looke so good.

There is a lot of truth in that.

hairybloke
22-12-08, 16:23
There is a lot of truth in that.

Unlike my spelling :o

Simo429
22-12-08, 16:25
i cant remember many goals that have been his fault other than the own goals!

people will argue that yesterday was his fault but i still think agger lost his man!

trust carra everytime over agger

festinho
22-12-08, 16:45
It is called aging my friend!

When you're near 30 and your playing 19-25 year olds strikers, there's a big difference, no matter how experienced you are, Robin Van Persie will always be quicker than you...and so will Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo, Adebayor, etc....

Agger-Skrtel would work perfectly! It is time for Carra to give the lads a chance and teach them all this defensive Genius called Jaime Carragher knows!

I'm tempted by the Agger-Skrtel partnership as I believe they would do well. However, I'm loathed to lose Carragher's leadership qualities. He can teach them everything but it would be hard to teach them leadership. Having said that both Skrtel and Agger strike me as leaders anyway.

LIVERBIRDMX
22-12-08, 16:56
I'm tempted by the Agger-Skrtel partnership as I believe they would do well. However, I'm loathed to lose Carragher's leadership qualities. He can teach them everything but it would be hard to teach them leadership. Having said that both Skrtel and Agger strike me as leaders anyway.

I think Agger has the leadership qualities, but he hasn't been able to prove it since it would be like having 1 captains in the same ship

ArchieR
22-12-08, 16:57
Carra is "THE ROCK OF ANFIELD", yes he is getting older but remember he is playing with below standard full backs, Carra has no trouble reading the game it's his fellow team mates that he struggles with sometimes

Simo429
22-12-08, 16:57
I think Agger has the leadership qualities, but he hasn't been able to prove it since it would be like having 1 captains in the same ship

agger doesnt like football and constantly comes across in interviews as a mardy get, i dont see what leadership qualities he has

Chris-Ninis
22-12-08, 16:59
He has been good this year but spent most of yesterday's game marking players by yanking at their shirts. I have no idea how he stayed on the field but thank Christ he did.

festinho
22-12-08, 17:03
agger doesnt like football and constantly comes across in interviews as a mardy get, i dont see what leadership qualities he has

Did he say he doesn't like football? Leadership qualities is not only about ranting and raving (in the nicest possible sense), it's about taking the initiative, inspiring confidence and leading by example as well.

Simo429
22-12-08, 17:05
Did he say he doesn't like football? Leadership qualities is not only about ranting and raving (in the nicest possible sense), it's about taking the initiative, inspiring confidence and leading by example as well.

he's said in a couple of interviews that he doesnt have a passion for the game!

festinho
22-12-08, 17:07
he's said in a couple of interviews that he doesnt have a passion for the game!

It's hard to comment on this because I didn't know - only thing I can say is things can get taken out of context in reporting.

Simo429
22-12-08, 17:08
It's hard to comment on this because I didn't know - only thing I can say is things can get taken out of context in reporting.

i dont think it was in this case, he's not the first player to say this but i think its sad! his passion for the game should rival the fans

LIVERBIRDMX
22-12-08, 17:15
i dont think it was in this case, he's not the first player to say this but i think its sad! his passion for the game should rival the fans

so why is that? do you think Gerrard, Carragher, Torres really get nervous when Liverpool play and they're watching? or that they scream at the telly? No, they don't, they do love the club and the game, but that's their job....they get paid loads of money for playing. however, feeling a buzz for the game has nothing to do with leadership qualities.

I personally admire Gerrard, and I think he's a great skipper, however, his armband has been scrutinised very often cos he goes out missing vs big teams, especially in the League, and becasue his body language towards other squad members is crap, hence, Lucas, Keane, Kuyt, Riera, and that affects the team.

Agger has proved on several ocassiones that he doesn't need to scream all over the pitch to be heard...he just makes the tackles, marks the man, gets the passes right and he's miles a better footballer overall than Carra, and that's evident.

Have you ever seen Carra hit the 40 yard long balls Agger does? Have you ever seen him head the ball as Agger does? not to mention his left fot drives. Leading with example, that's what Agger did last night and he almost won it for us. He did it vs Chelsea in a CL semifinal, so who cares about his personal hobbies if he gets the job perfectly done and works his arse off. Don't just write people off cos they don't think like you, please! :o

Simo429
22-12-08, 17:17
so why is that? do you think Gerrard, Carragher, Torres really get nervous when Liverpool play and they're watching? or that they scream at the telly? No, they don't, they do love the club and the game, but that's their job....they get paid loads of money for playing. however, feeling a buzz for the game has nothing to do with leadership qualities.

I personally admire Gerrard, and I think he's a great skipper, however, his armband has been scrutinised very often cos he goes out missing vs big teams, especially in the League, and becasue his body language towards other squad members is crap, hence, Lucas, Keane, Kuyt, Riera, and that affects the team.

Agger has proved on several ocassiones that he doesn't need to scream all over the pitch to be heard...he just makes the tackles, marks the man, gets the passes right and he's miles a better footballer overall than Carra, and that's evident.

Have you ever seen Carra hit the 40 yard long balls Agger does? Have you ever seen him head the ball as Agger does? not to mention his left fot drives. Leading with example, that's what Agger did last night and he almost won it for us. He did it vs Chelsea in a CL semifinal, so who cares about his personal hobbies if he gets the job perfectly done and works his arse off. Don't just write people off cos they don't think like you, please! :o

you dont think carra screams at the tv?

its not just about liverpool as well its about the game of football, how can you be truly great at something you dont care about!

LIVERBIRDMX
22-12-08, 17:22
you dont think carra screams at the tv?

its not just about liverpool as well its about the game of football, how can you be truly great at something you dont care about!

It has never been said he doesn't care about it, that is really taking things out of its context!

Perhaps we didn't dream about wearing the Liverpool shirt since he was 5 years old playing kick-abouts in Toxteth.....but he cares about his job, he cares about the club and the fans.

Can't you see how hard he worked last night? or how hard he works every game? I'll say players like Babel don't care about football!!! or Pennant, but not Agger.

So what if he likes music or tatoos? That doesn't mean he'll be a tremendous players, as he already is and has been for us

festinho
22-12-08, 17:22
i think its sad! his passion for the game should rival the fans

Agreed, and I think that would make him an even better player.

Sanduskyy
22-12-08, 17:55
Id have Skrtl and Agger and put Carra out to grass at right back, where he is better than our current options.

Skrtle, Carrager and Agger at LB.....even better.

festinho
22-12-08, 17:59
It has never been said he doesn't care about it, that is really taking things out of its context!

My point exactly. Having other interests away from football doesn't mean he doesn't have the passion. In fact, it's a great way to unwind and re-charge the batteries. Fair play to him for that.

HuytonHuyton
22-12-08, 18:00
Carra's distribution is the worst I have ever seen, any defender would have been turned inside out by that van Persie turn.

PriestFish
22-12-08, 18:04
Carra is "THE ROCK OF ANFIELD", yes he is getting older but remember he is playing with below standard full backs, Carra has no trouble reading the game it's his fellow team mates that he struggles with sometimes

If you are referring to Arbeloa and Aurelio they are no such things. Both very competent defenders, excellent distribution and going forward.

-Stig-
22-12-08, 18:05
I gotta agrre with Skrtel Agger, with Jamie on RB.

He hasnt been the same this season, and all this about Agger got no passion for the game is probably nonsense thats been taken out of context.

Snippes
22-12-08, 18:18
When did Adebayor turn Carra inside out? I don't remember that....I thought outside of that impossible to stop goal from RVP that Carragher and the rest our defense were as stout as ever. How many real goal scoring chances did Adebayor and company have yesterday? Pepe Reina was hardly sweating at any point....I think we have way too many people who take for granted the job our defense does. The fact that other teams like Arsenal AT HOME can hardly get a sniff at goal is purely down to the excellent work that Carra and his fellow defenders are doing more often than not.

I think Carra - own goals notwithstanding - has been a rock as usual all season.

fernandonumber9
22-12-08, 18:20
i hope you arent basing this on the RVP goal. some goals you have to sit back and admire that was one of them, carra had no chance, if he starts going across where VP ended up going to early, VP is just gonna turn the other way where he is guaranteed to be 10n1. i think agger is a weaker link, look forrward to the return of MArtin:)

Sneets
22-12-08, 18:27
When did Adebayor turn Carra inside out? I don't remember that....I thought outside of that impossible to stop goal from RVP that Carragher and the rest our defense were as stout as ever. How many real goal scoring chances did Adebayor and company have yesterday? Pepe Reina was hardly sweating at any point....I think we have way too many people who take for granted the job our defense does. The fact that other teams like Arsenal AT HOME can hardly get a sniff at goal is purely down to the excellent work that Carra and his fellow defenders are doing more often than not.

I think Carra - own goals notwithstanding - has been a rock as usual all season.

Agree with that and even more outstanding as he has to play with and organize a continually changing line up of fellow defenders.

festinho
22-12-08, 18:30
[QUOTE=fernandonumber9;1444607]i hope you arent basing this on the RVP goal. some goals you have to sit back and admire that was one of them, QUOTE]

No I wasn't talking about VP's goal - that was kkkwality :D. It's just an observation about his demeanour and performances in recent weeks.

festinho
22-12-08, 18:31
When did Adebayor turn Carra inside out? I don't remember that....

I remember it alright - first half by the corner flag ending with a superb nutmeg.

LIVERBIRDMX
22-12-08, 18:34
I think that a striker partnership; a midfield partnership and a CB partnership needs time and can't be rotated that much. Other parts of the team as full backs, wingers, and once in a while make a change to the spine is good, but we need to develop a CB pairing once and for all.

Skrtel got injured, him and Carra were doing brilliant, however and now looking back, I think Skrtel was the stronger of the pairing. So why not ry Agger (with a lot more football than Carra) and Skrtel......?? That's also looking forward into the near future!! Still Cara can rotate as RB/LB and CB

Snippes
22-12-08, 19:54
I remember it alright - first half by the corner flag ending with a superb nutmeg.

LMAO...you mean the nutmeg that went nowhere? If you remember, we got the ball right back when he tried that nutmeg...I guess you are easily impressed with things like that but when someone says turning this guy inside out...I am assuming you mean like when Torres turned the Marsaille defense inside out....or when Torres skinned Ben Haim for his first Liverpool goal. That's inside out...when there is actually a resultant aspect to it...a nutmeg to nowhere at the corner flag that resulted in nothing means diddly squat to me.

But again...for those of you easily impressed with nonesense....whatever...I cant' be bothered to spend another minute trying to show you, a Liverpool fan, what an oustanding defender Jamie Carragher is and how lucky we have been to have him. Feel free to obsess over ball distribution and that other statistically nonesense some of you are so in love with. I will just point out to one thing that actually matters....the Liverpool defense has been an outstanding rock solid unit since Rafa has arrived...a unit that consistently ranks the highest in least goals conceded and clean sheets kept. The one constant through it all has been......Jamie Carragher. Am amazed at how a Liverpool fan needs anyone to explain this....very weird.:confused::o

ThisIsntFunny
22-12-08, 20:51
The only thing that bothers me about Carra is his hoofing upfield.

Apart from that he's as good as he's always been imo.

Navredman
22-12-08, 21:03

What do you think?

I think you should get the tapes of all our games this season, look at them, then realise how many games we would have lost if jamo wasnt there, :cool:

aylesbyred
3-2-13, 21:06
Bump

Eddes
3-2-13, 21:08
Carragher worries me too, how can somebody be that good at that age with so little football in the last 12 months ?

Even came close to scoring today .....

aylesbyred
3-2-13, 21:09
Carragher worries me too, how can somebody be that good at that age with so little football in the last 12 months ?

Even came close to scoring today .....

Twice !!

LordJamieOfCarragher
3-2-13, 21:10
Bump

Why?

-Monk-
3-2-13, 21:11
Why?

To laugh at people?

Come on, you know how these forums work, it's not your first day.

:p

SalahDressing
3-2-13, 21:12
I was worried today.

He nearly scored.

One of the signs of the apocalypse.

aylesbyred
Why?

Dunno sorry, well just irony really, how times change and all that

Don't tell me off :)

Ganymede
22-12-08

Carra was being written off in the season we finished 2nd??!

aylesbyred
3-2-13, 21:16
22-12-08

Carra was being written off in the season we finished 2nd??!

Write him off at your peril !

LordJamieOfCarragher
3-2-13, 21:21
Dunno sorry, well just irony really, how times change and all that

Don't tell me off :)

:)

digger1
3-2-13, 21:24

What do you think?

The only thing that worries me about Carra is how the hell are we going to replace him....same goes for Gerrard.

Ganymede
3-2-13, 21:25
The only thing that worries me about Carra is how the hell are we going to replace him....same goes for Gerrard.

Excellent point.

aylesbyred
3-2-13, 21:25

Ahh...oh

redhoops
3-2-13, 21:28
He's got a good 5 years left.Easy.

Ganymede
3-2-13, 21:29
He's got a good 5 years left.Easy.

Nah. 10.