PDA

View Full Version : Carlton Cole

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Taribo-West
11-2-09, 11:36
He looks like a gem of a player and being called into the English team has proved he's the in-form striker all across the league...He reminds me of a cross between Toni and Villa...What do you guys think?Should we make a bid this summer?:scarf

Fowi
11-2-09, 11:38
Bankrupt man's Heskey.

LFC_Fan_1_2
11-2-09, 11:39
I think we need someone like him, a hold up striker. We just don't have any options like that anymore and I think Rafa recognises this. Didn't actually think of Cole but its a pretty good shout to be fair. Wouldn't be that expensive.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
11-2-09, 11:42
Average striker on a hot-streak.

Plus we've got N'Gog.

Taribo-West
11-2-09, 11:42
Fowi you're not English,your opinion doesn't count!!!;)

Newname
11-2-09, 11:43
I just do not think he Liverpool quality we need more than somebody who can hold the ball up.

Peter Crouch done that job well.

ThirdPaul
11-2-09, 12:37
Worse goals to chances ratio than Pavlyuchenko. Cole in the England squad is a refelection on the paucity of fit, decent English strikers.

Liverdinner
11-2-09, 12:37
Bankrupt man's Heskey.

gave ferdinand and vidic the runaround

LFC_Fan_1_2
11-2-09, 12:43
Worse goals to chances ratio than Pavlyuchenko. Cole in the England squad is a refelection on the paucity of fit, decent English strikers.

To be fair goalscoring strikers really isn't the theme of this season.

-Gola-
11-2-09, 12:50

whats even funnier is that michael owen is behind him in the pecking order of english strikers and many would like to see him return here in the summer :D

-Gola-
11-2-09, 12:53
cole has been awful for most of his career considering all the attributes he has. he was really annoying me at the start of the season for his ineptness, jenas also gets me annoyed when watching them play.

he has done well since zola took charge and he seems to be getting the best out of him, west ham is a good club for cole, i dont think he could go to a bigger club to be honest.

Liverdinner
11-2-09, 12:54
cole has been awful for most of his career considering all the attributes he has. he was really annoying me at the start of the season for his ineptness, jenas also gets me annoyed when watching them play.

he has done well since zola took charge and he seems to be getting the best out of him, west ham is a good club for cole, i dont think he could go to a bigger club to be honest.

we live in the now, not the past in terms of call ups

SuperSi
11-2-09, 12:55
A few half decent goals and tap-ins does not a great player make.

His vision and movement seems good, his touch and bodily positioning on receiving the ball can be very poor.

Nearly every time he got the ball in the Man United area he had his back to goal, tried to turn and Vidic happily freed him of the ball. That must have happened 3 or 4 times.

IMHO

-Gola-
11-2-09, 12:57

no entiendo!

Finnyfnar
11-2-09, 12:57
And who says supporters are becoming more and more short-termist...?? :P

jambags
11-2-09, 12:58
lol, cant believe what im reading! the minute a player is in good form theres shouts on here to sign him, yet owen consistently scores but is slated for what he might or might not bring!
iv watched calrton cole have at least 6 years of mediocrity, starting at chelsea, yet he has 6 good games in a row and we should buy him!!
law of averages says you have got to be good at some point, and in these games, im pretty sure di michele was actually the better of the 2, mainly scrappy tap ins coles scored!!
and guess what, if rafa bought hi, it would be the same people who said this that would be slating him next year for buying such a crap player!
what happened to our standards, carlton ****** cole!!
yeh he is in the england squad, because he is the inform striker, but hey, hasnt bent and beattie been in there 2, international football is all about the in form players at the time, thats how to win at international level, pick in form players at the time, its why sven went wrong, he picked his best 11 as oppose to in form for that one game a month!!!
carlton cole, do me a favour, seriously would you want to go watch him next year, i certainly wouldnt!!

Liverdinner
11-2-09, 12:58
no entiendo!

schnurrbart

-Gola-
11-2-09, 12:59
schnurrbart

que?

Fowi
11-2-09, 12:59

Not really. He sprinted past Ferdinand once and then showed both his inability and stupidity. Other than that he was your average furniture carrier footballer. A lot of height and strength but when the ball comes to him he might as well boot it out of play.

Liverdinner
11-2-09, 13:01
que?

j ne comprende pas

and fowi he was one of the few strikes who physically matched vidic regularly -he caused problems for them just a shame the rest of his side didnt

SuperSpeedy
11-2-09, 13:02
Can’t believe people would actually consider him

Shocking

christhered

When?

Fowi
and fowi he was one of the few strikes who physically matched vidic regularly -he caused problems for them just a shame the rest of his side didnt

I'm sure Dean Windass would cause physical problems for Vidic. So would Arnold Schwarzenegger. Luckily football is not about that.

Liverdinner
11-2-09, 13:04
I'm sure Dean Windass would cause physical problems for Vidic. So would Arnold Schwarzenegger. Luckily football is not about that.

dean windass? his back would give way

you know perfically well what i meant-he won headers and outstrength him, holding te ball up against the best defence in the world

Fowi
11-2-09, 13:05
dean windass? his back would give way

you know perfically well what i meant-he won headers and outstrength him, holding te ball up against the best defence in the world

And that's all fine and well if you're West Ham, a team that has no ambition to beat Man Utd. If you however want to win games you buy players who can do what Giggs did.

ben1770
11-2-09, 13:07
He looks like a gem of a player and being called into the English team has proved he's the in-form striker all across the league...He reminds me of a cross between Toni and Villa...What do you guys think?Should we make a bid this summer?:scarf

Absolutely not. Carlton Cole makes Darren Bent look like Thierry Henry.

Liverdinner
11-2-09, 13:08
And that's all fine and well if you're West Ham, a team that has no ambition to beat Man Utd. If you however want to win games you buy players who can do what Giggs did.

i yeah im not saying we should buy him or anything-but good performances at club level deserve international recognition

-Gola-
11-2-09, 13:09

lets get back to this, what the hell did this post mean and what relevance does it have to my post

Fowi
i yeah im not saying we should buy him or anything-but good performances at club level deserve international recognition

Sure, call him up for England or even play him if you must. Just don't let him anywhere near our club.

langersandmash
He's perfectly at his level. Top striker in a poor/average team. Would sink at a bigger club.

Liverdinner
Sure, call him up for England or even play him if you must. Just don't let him anywhere near our club.
i agree

by the way you are needed on a danish themed thread

Fowi
11-2-09, 13:11
i agree

by the way you are needed on a danish themed thread

I responded to that one.

Liverdinner
11-2-09, 13:13
I responded to that one.

good man mr fowi

SweetCarrollNine
11-2-09, 14:00
He's a Chelsea reject and has a decent game now and then. A very average PL player who probably thinks he's better than he is.

An ideal Parry signing

Ihaveadream
11-2-09, 14:06
If he was white he would still be in the conference, its his size and stature that get him games not his finishing finesse!

Please dont think im racist by that comment it is the way football is right now!

If your 6'7 and white your a freak if your 6'4 and black your gonna make it in football!!!!

:scarf

Taribo-West
11-2-09, 14:12
RACIST!!!!Carlton Cole is the real 'King Cole"...I would be chuffed if Rafa got him this summer...He reminds me of a cross between Henry and Eto'o in their prime...:scarf

Ihaveadream
11-2-09, 14:14
Money would be better spent on Bent, Defoe, Heskey, Gabbi, Bellars or Sturridge!

Carlton needs to many chances to finish!

Has found his level at west ham and will not get a better club!!!!!

:scarf

nuggs
11-2-09, 14:22
RACIST!!!!Carlton Cole is the real 'King Cole"...I would be chuffed if Rafa got him this summer...He reminds me of a cross between Henry and Eto'o in their prime...:scarf

:fishing:fishing:fishing:fishing:P

hairybloke
11-2-09, 14:53
If he used the ball more intelligently I could happily ignore his ineptitude in front of goal, but he's not, his decision making is appalling, so it's a thanks but no thanks from me.

xabiheaven
11-2-09, 16:21
He plays like a donkey! I think he's rubbish and has found his level with West Ham

Simo429
11-2-09, 16:23

are you taking the p!55? he's useless

ben1770
11-2-09, 16:29

You're surely having a laugh.

Graggster
11-2-09, 16:46
Yet another English player that is not rated on these boards.. If he was showing the same form in lesser league´s across europe and wasnt English then poeple would be saying worth a try.. Great young player:rolleyes:

The boards are as predictable as Andy Gray!

Simo429
11-2-09, 16:51
Yet another English player that is not rated on these boards.. If he was showing the same form in lesser league´s across europe and wasnt English then poeple would be saying worth a try.. Great young player:rolleyes:

i cant tell if your being sarky or not!

if you are sorry however

in 150 games he's scored 26 goals a goal nearly every 6 games

i cant imagine that anyone would be raving about a foreign player who had that sort of record

and as for him being young he's 25 since when is that young

Liverdinner
11-2-09, 16:51

no he just is not that good?

but of course you aim to have the opposite views to the majority in order to maximise chance of arguement

Graggster
11-2-09, 16:57
i cant tell if your being sarky or not!

if you are sorry however

in 150 games he's scored 26 goals a goal nearly every 6 games

i cant imagine that anyone would be raving about a foreign player who had that sort of record

and as for him being young he's 25 since when is that young

I´m not saying hes a top player but in his current form his playing very well and looks a good player and deserves to be in the England squad. Time will tell if he can keep it up.

To just disregard him because of his past is nonsense!

Simo429
11-2-09, 16:59
I´m not saying hes a top player but in his current form his playing very well and looks a good player and deserves to be in the England squad. Time will tell if he can keep it up.

To just disregard him because of his past is nonsense!

he wont keep it up

time wont need to tell

he's not that good!

his past has shown that he isnt good enough, he's had his chances

Graggster
11-2-09, 17:00
no he just is not that good?

but of course you aim to have the opposite views to the majority in order to maximise chance of arguement

No not at all.. i judge players for current form and hes playing very well and is looking a good player the past 10-15 games. If he keeps it up then England have another good option in the future so Capello is right to bring him into the squad to get a look at him.

Graggster
11-2-09, 17:01
he wont keep it up

time wont need to tell

he's not that good!

his past has shown that he isnt good enough, he's had his chances

OK:rolleyes:

Thankfully Capello doesnt think like that!

Simo429
11-2-09, 17:03
OK:rolleyes:

Thankfully Capello doesnt think like that!

i dont care what capello thinks he can keep his average squad with his very average strikers such as cole

cookpassbabtridge
11-2-09, 17:04
Iv my doubts about him.

Nothing wrong with calling him up to the England squad though.It must be good for players moral. When they see Cole getting called up on the back of form ,they know if they play well they are in the managers thoughts.

Liverdinner
11-2-09, 17:05
No not at all.. i judge players for current form and hes playing very well and is looking a good player the past 10-15 games. If he keeps it up then England have another good option in the future so Capello is right to bring him into the squad to get a look at him.

i think he deserves his chance no doubt about it, for playing well and i think it has long been ignored to promote similar players on form by previous managers

however i would never sign him for us

Graggster
11-2-09, 17:07
i dont care what capello thinks he can keep his average squad with his very average strikers such as cole

That average squad will give Spain a good game tonight even with out Gerrard & Rooney;)

Graggster
11-2-09, 17:09
i think he deserves his chance no doubt about it, for playing well and i think it has long been ignored to promote similar players on form by previous managers

however i would never sign him for us

People said the same about Crouch and Rafa bought him of the back of his form in 10-15games towards the end of the season before he came here!

Fowi
11-2-09, 17:09
If Gavin McCann was called up for England then anybody should. That's not what it's about.

Liverdinner
11-2-09, 17:13
People said the same about Crouch and Rafa bought him of the back of his form in 10-15games towards the end of the season before he came here!

and?

there is no correlation between the two

Graggster
11-2-09, 17:15
If Gavin McCann was called up for England then anybody should. That's not what it's about.

Its about picking the best players not going on past history..

Cole is playing very well lately.. anybody can see that. Well you cant Carrick is playing very lately.. so it doesnt surprice really!

Fowi
11-2-09, 17:16
Its about picking the best players at the time not going on past history..

Cole is playing very well lately.. anybody can see that. Well you cant see Carrick is playing very lately.. so it doesnt surprice really!

As I said you can pick Cole for England. It doesn't really matter. England won't stand or fall with Cole. Just don't bring him anywhere near Liverpool.

Simo429
11-2-09, 17:18
Its about picking the best players at the time not going on past history..

Cole is playing very well lately.. anybody can see that. Well you cant see Carrick is playing very lately.. so it doesnt surprice really!

so if stevie is in a poor vein of form you dont think he should get a call up?

its about picking your best side not the players who are in the top form

if you had a top striker who was in poor form for his club side id still pick him over carlton cole

YesWeCan
11-2-09, 17:22
He is a better player than Heskey.

Gazza74
I don't really rate Cole much and think he lacks basic intelligence to play for a top team and at the top level. I'm surprised Capello has picked him but then there is a shortage of strikers currently so therefore he gets a chance.

I do rate quite a few English players and do feel they get unfairly treated compared to foreigners but Cole isn't one of them for me and i've never really been impressed with him when i've seen him and i wouldn't have him come to us no way.

In terms of Crouch, we bought him for a reason at that time back in 2005 whereas there is no current reason we would bring in someone as limited as Cole as we're now challenging for the league.

Graggster
and?

there is no correlation between the two

Why not??.. Rafa signed crouch because of the form he was showing in the last 10-15games towards the end of that season. It would be the same if Cole carried on his currenty form then Rafa went in for him at the end of the season.

People are saying hes crap because hes underperformed in the past.. now hes playing well people are still not convinced because its been a short time hes showed this form, i can understand this but "if" he can keep his current form then he will prove people wrong.

On current form hes a good player.. on past form hes not. It will take some time for him to prove the doubters wrong but he will need to keep up his current form to do that!

Liverdinner
11-2-09, 17:25
Why not??.. Rafa signed crouch because of the form he was showing in the last 10-15games towards the end of that season. It would be the same if Cole carried on his currenty form then Rafa went in for him at the end of the season.

People are saying hes crap because hes underperformed in the past.. now hes playing well people are still not convinced because its been a short time hes showed this form, i can understand this but "if" he can keep his current form then he will prove people wrong.

On current form hes a good player.. on past form hes not. It will take some time for him to prove the doubters wrong but he will need to keep up his current form to do that!

yes he is a good player, nothing more-we need more
just because we signed in form crouch doesnt mean we should sign in from cole

king-Carra
11-2-09, 17:26
Get real people. Carlton cole is having a decent run of form in a below average career. Nothing more.

YesWeCan
11-2-09, 17:29
Get real people. Carlton cole is having a decent run of form in a below average career. Nothing more.

I wouldn't call playing top flight football and being called up to the England squad a "below average career"

Still though i agree we shouldn't sign him. I still think he is a good player though.

Graggster
11-2-09, 17:29
I don't really rate Cole much and think he lacks basic intelligence to play for a top team and at the top level. I'm surprised Capello has picked him but then there is a shortage of strikers currently so therefore he gets a chance.

I do rate quite a few English players and do feel they get unfairly treated compared to foreigners but Cole isn't one of them for me and i've never really been impressed with him when i've seen him and i wouldn't have him come to us no way.

In terms of Crouch, we bought him for a reason at that time back in 2005 whereas there is no current reason we would bring in someone as limited as Cole as we're now challenging for the league.

we bought crouch because of his form towards the end of that season.. That was the main reason. Everybody at that time was questioning why Crouch?? he certainly didnt deserve it on his past.. it was 10-15games and he was very very good in those 10-15. If he wasnt Rafa would not of went for him.

At the end of the day.. Cole is playing well at the moment.. now its up to him to keep it up.

Yet.. theo, defoe & rooney are ahead of him in the pecking order. If he keeps imroving then its good competition and thats good for england!

Simo429
11-2-09, 17:30
I wouldn't call playing top flight football and being called up to the England squad a "below average career"

Still though i agree we shouldn't sign him. I still think he is a good player though.

so you think a striker who scores one in six is having at least an average career?

the main question is why do clubs keep taking a chance on him

Graggster
11-2-09, 17:32

if you had a top striker who was in poor form for his club side id still pick him over carlton cole

If stevie is a poor vein of form then he shouldnt even be in the liverpool team.. but hes hardly ever out of form for more than a couple of games so i dont get your point.

YesWeCan
11-2-09, 17:35
so you think a striker who scores one in six is having at least an average career?

the main question is why do clubs keep taking a chance on him

West Ham are reaping the benefits of his good performances, he is a good player when he plays week in week out and has some confidence going. Think he has 5 goals in 6 games for West Ham at the moment.

Playing for England and a top 10 club in the PL certainly isn't a average career.

king-Carra
11-2-09, 17:36

David nugent was called up to the england squad before so that is hardly the measure of success especially when its a friendly. Cole wont be in the next squad.

Up until ten games ago, most west ham fans wanted rid of him. Nothing against the lad but he is average at his best and that isnt often

Gazza74
11-2-09, 17:38
we bought crouch because of his form towards the end of that season.. That was the main reason. Everybody at that time was questioning why Crouch?? he certainly didnt deserve it on his past.. it was 10-15games and he was very very good in those 10-15. If he wasnt Rafa would not of went for him.

At the end of the day.. Cole is playing well at the moment.. now its up to him to keep it up.

Yet.. theo, defoe & rooney are ahead of him in the pecking order. If he keeps imroving then its good competition and thats good for england!

Yes, we bought Crouch due to his form in the 2nd half of the season in 04/05, but the reason he was brought here is because Rafa was looking for a player who could hold the ball up and keep possession upfront, especially in away games.

Crouch caught his eye against us in the league game against Southampton at St Mary's and he said that the main reason was how he held the ball up and brought others into the game which is something we struggled with due to Baros, Cisse, Sinama etc not being very good at this.

So, as i say, there was a massive reason Crouchy was identified at that time as a player for us in our early rebuilding programme and thats why we went and got him, but as it stands now there is no reason to look at Cole as he doesn't have anything like this to give us and isn't good enough to be considered over many many others strikers if we are looking for one this summer.

He is not someone i would personally want and not someone any title chasing team would want and thats why Chelsea got rid of him even when they had a shortage of strikers, because he wasn't good enough at that level and still isn't.

He's good for the likes of West Ham and that level, but not any higher and unless he suddenly becomes a different player that will continue. Nothing wrong with that but when everyone is fit he wouldn't make a world cup squad 23.

YesWeCan
11-2-09, 17:39
David nugent was called up to the england squad before so that is hardly the measure of success especially when its a friendly. Cole wont be in the next squad.

Up until ten games ago, most west ham fans wanted rid of him. Nothing against the lad but he is average at best.

He wasn't getting played though, like i said before when he is confident and starting week in week out he is a good player. Hmmm 'average at best' So why did Capello call him up then? :rolleyes:

Graggster
11-2-09, 17:41
To judge a player just because of his past is nonsense.

Cole has to keep on improving he has a long way to go yet, no doubt about that but hes currently playing very well and deserves his call it up.

Yet i´prefere Agbon before cole but i hope Cole keeps on playing like he is and hopefully Agbon will keep on improving aswell.. the competition is good for England.

Simo429
11-2-09, 17:41

Up until ten games ago, most west ham fans wanted rid of him. Nothing against the lad but he is average at his best and that isnt often

excellent post well summed up

Graggster
11-2-09, 17:45
How about Agbon.. would anybody be happy if Rafa tried to sign him??

king-Carra
11-2-09, 17:45
He wasn't getting played though, like i said before when he is confident and starting week in week out he is a good player. Hmmm 'average at best' So why did Capello call him up then? :rolleyes:

Defoe and rooney being injured might be one reason for his call up.:rolleyes:

You say when he is confident and starting every week, which is fair enough but whats his goals to game ratio like? Somehow i doubt its that good.

We all know Capello picks players on form which explains given the injuries why he opted for cole who is on his first decent run of form that i can remember.

I said average at best and i stand by that.

Gazza74
11-2-09, 17:49

100% yes.

He is 10 times better than Cole will ever be because he not only scores more goals but has great intelligence on and off the ball and has shown that he can play at the high level as Villa are at this season.

He would come to us and fit in perfectly within our team and be able to adapt to any differences we have to that of Villa.

Agbonlahor is a top level talented player, whereas Cole isn't, though looked like he might when he was younger. It was deception as whereas Agbon has progressed up and up, Cole has gone sideways.

Liverdinner
11-2-09, 17:53

no wouldnt want him-all pace litte substance imo

Graggster
11-2-09, 17:53
100% yes.

He is 10 times better than Cole will ever be because he not only scores more goals but has great intelligence on and off the ball and has shown that he can play at the high level as Villa are at this season.

He would come to us and fit in perfectly within our team and be able to adapt to any differences we have to that of Villa.

Agbonlahor is a top level talented player, whereas Cole isn't, though looked like he might when he was younger. It was deception as whereas Agbon has progressed up and up, Cole has gone sideways.

Atleast we agree on something.. but IMO Agbon is far from the finished product, he also needs to improve alot but the signs are all their that he will. He will probably make the final world cup squad along with Walcott. Yet dont be surpriced if Cole makes the squad aswell if he carries on improving!

brummiered01
11-2-09, 17:56

Still not convinced about him, think he relies on his pace far too much and doesn't have much else to his game.

I doubt he would join us anyway so think that ones definitely a non-starter anyway

Gazza74
11-2-09, 17:58
Atleast we agree on something.. but IMO Agbon is far from the finished product, he also needs to improve alot but the signs are all their that he will. He will probably make the final world cup squad along with Walcott. Yet dont be surpriced if Cole makes the squad aswell if he carries on improving!

I've agreed with you on Milner aswell by the way, who i think is a very talented player though needs to score and create more.

On Agbon, he isn't the finished product but he is far better than Cole despite it so when he does develop further he'll be excellent, whereas Cole for me just hasn't enough about his game to go any higher.

Disagree about Cole making the squad aswell. We usually take maximum 5 strikers and Rooney, Walcott, Agbon, Heskey and Crouch could well be the 5 unless Walcott goes as a midfielder in which case Defoe will go. Then there is Owen to if he can get fit and stay fit, he may be considered to.

To many players ahead of Cole and others i haven't even mentioned to as i don't think with everyone fit Cole will get in as one of 5 strikers for a World Cup squad.

hairybloke
11-2-09, 17:59

This though is the attitude that lead to us carrying Beckham from 2002 til 2005, and why we're currently stuck with John (found out when no one wipes his arse) Terry to this day.

Graggster
11-2-09, 18:03
I've agreed with you on Milner aswell by the way, who i think is a very talented player though needs to score and create more.

On Agbon, he isn't the finished product but he is far better than Cole despite it so when he does develop further he'll be excellent, whereas Cole for me just hasn't enough about his game to go any higher.

Disagree about Cole making the squad aswell. We usually take maximum 5 strikers and Rooney, Walcott, Agbon, Heskey and Crouch could well be the 5 unless Walcott goes as a midfielder in which case Defoe will go. Then there is Owen to if he can get fit and stay fit, he may be considered to.

To many players ahead of Cole and others i haven't even mentioned to as i don't think with everyone fit Cole will get in as one of 5 strikers for a World Cup squad.

Agree all those players are ahead of him right now but competition is good and he keeps playing well then he will keep those other players on their toes which is a good thing.. I also dont think Capello will pick both Heskey & crouch for his final squad.

MoyneVilla
30-8-09, 14:01
I know this is another 'if we had money thread'

But looking at Carlton Cole this season, he looks like the perfect understudy to Torres.
He can play up front by himself and he's English.

Has anyone else seen this guys potential this year?
He'd be a great addition before the deadline.

U-Know-Who
30-8-09, 14:01
Talented but inconsistent finishing.

rutilus
30-8-09, 14:02
Talented but inconsistent finishing.

Just like Torres then... :fishing

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
30-8-09, 14:02
N'Gog is the perfect understudy to Torres.

christhered
30-8-09, 14:03
And cost twelve times less what Cole would.

PeaTearGryphon
30-8-09, 14:03
West Ham would never let him go as they would have no strikers

U-Know-Who
30-8-09, 14:05
Just like Torres then... :fishing

On recent showing yes.:D

At least Cole is "strong like a gorilla".

Hence Cole >>> Torres:fishing

MoyneVilla
30-8-09, 14:08
West Ham would never let him go as they would have no strikers

I know the Hammers wouldnt let him go but he really has impressed me this year.
I think he is more of a presence up front than Egg Nog (I luv calling him that) who IMO cannot plat up front by himself.

jonsonos
30-8-09, 14:09
The thing is with Cole i feel you only get the best out of him when he plays reguly and maybe feels like he is the main man, dont see him as a player who could be called on to do a job from time to time, good player but not really ideal imo.

kopitecrash
30-8-09, 14:10
we have ngog to shadow torres.

charlton cole has lots of potential, and theres no better club for him to improve then at west ham.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
30-8-09, 14:15
I know the Hammers wouldnt let him go but he really has impressed me this year.
I think he is more of a presence up front than Egg Nog (I luv calling him that) who IMO cannot plat up front by himself.

Ngog has as much presence as Cole had when he was that age.

Stop talking rot.

-Tintin-
30-8-09, 14:17
N'Gog has more natural flair than Cole.

I'd rather have someone unpredictable like N'Gog up front than a battering ram who occasionally scores a few goals. Cole is not prolific, nor will he ever be.

He's a glorified Heskey and is in his purple patch at the moment.

Cossey
27-10-09, 13:31
Would anyone like to see him at Anfield come January? I think he's been great since last season and this. Was excellent again on Sunday V Arsenal. Would be an excellent squad player, all depending on his price though. How much do you think he'd cost?

fernandothelegend
27-10-09, 13:32
Yes and 15 million.

SaltAndPepe
27-10-09, 13:34
Yes without a seconds hesitation.

And yeh as above - prob in the £12-15m bracket I'd say, if not more.

KarlAgathon
27-10-09, 13:43
sounds like he might be out of our range then considering we will prob have nothing to spend and will have to sell to gain funds. doubt we will get that much from selling voro and babel, who by the looks of it are on their way out. but yeah, would be a very nice backup to nando..

Goalrush09
27-10-09, 13:49
Good player but would he be content coming to us to be Nando's understudy?

Paullfc1976
27-10-09, 13:54
He has aspirations of getting into the England squad for the World Cup; he'd want a guaranteed 1st team place, with our formation and the fact that Nando is simply head and shoulders above Carlton Cole, then from a realistic point of view, it would have to be a no.

YYH
27-10-09, 14:13
I seriously doubt we will be buying any player in January unless we can sell first as i don't think Rafa will get any moolah from the G & H.

But who will want to buy players like Philip Degen and Voronin? Even if there are i doubt they will fetch much.

KloppBoy
27-10-09, 14:14
Good player, but as people have said he wouldn't be happy being 2nd choice.

If we are going to play 4-4-2 on a more regular basis however, he would be an excellent signing, and possibly the perfect foil for Torres.

RedBaros
27-10-09, 14:14
I'd swap him for Babel and a few quid.

Liverdinner
27-10-09, 14:16

:eek:

Andyfagan
27-10-09, 14:19
Good player, but as people have said he wouldn't be happy being 2nd choice.

If we are going to play 4-4-2 on a more regular basis however, he would be an excellent signing, and possibly the perfect foil for Torres.

Hahahahahahahaha. :D

RedBaros
27-10-09, 14:27
:eek:

I'm losing faith in the lad. Defended him to the hilt on here but will he ever be a regular? When will he ever give Rafa the faith?
I said at the start of the season give him until January to prove himself.
It's November now and it's not looking good. He joined the same time as Benny, and look at the difference..

Thespian
27-10-09, 14:28
I still have a few doubts about him.

At times he looked like a sunday league player against Arsenal and spooned a number of good chances high and wide before his header. But then again, in the end he did score.

So I don't know:confused:

Andyfagan
27-10-09, 14:30
I'm losing faith in the lad. Defended him to the hilt on here but will he ever be a regular? When will he ever give Rafa the faith?
It's November now and it's not looking good. He joined the same time as Benny, and look at the difference..

It's pretty much all down to effort. Benayoun recognised that he wasn't good enough and worked his arse off to make himself stronger and better at picking out a pass earlier (he's still not fully remedied this). Babel sat there and flipped his flow.

The result? Benayoun's a regular first teamer and Babel's on his way out.

Paullfc1976
27-10-09, 14:32
It's pretty much all down to effort. Benayoun recognised that he wasn't good enough and worked his arse off to make himself stronger and better at picking out a pass earlier (he's still not fully remedied this). Babel sat there and flipped his flow.

.+

Liverdinner
27-10-09, 14:34

Mate, I was saying what a shocking statement that was sarcastically-even i would swap.

KloppBoy
27-10-09, 14:35
Hahahahahahahaha. :D

I'm not sure why that was so funny... but now I'm laughing ...:D

nuggs
27-10-09, 14:35

me too but sadly with West Ham being in the mire the last kind of player they want is babel.

Cole for Babel would certainly improve our squad were he happy to be an understudy which is a key question to consider.

LordJamieOfCarragher
27-10-09, 14:37
Good player but would he be content coming to us to be Nando's understudy?

He won't leave 1st team football at West Ham to sit on our bench, not 6 months before a World Cup anyway.

RedBaros
27-10-09, 14:37

It's a such a shame because I thought he'd be great for us once he sorted his head out. The only question is how long do you keep the faith before admitting defeat and moving him on?
He should be a no brainer sub for Torres and could have been the difference last season when we were struggling, but had to put our trust in a young reserve, who did well, but you'd think Babel was a level above by now.

If West Ham and Cole were interested I'd do the deal in January.

fernandothelegend
10-11-09, 23:18
Liverpool are among the clubs planning a raid on West Ham to sign Carlton Cole in January.

With Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard struggling through injuries, manager Rafa Benitez has been forced to rely on back-up strikers David Ngog and Andriy Voronin.

Barcelona’s interest in Javier Mascherano could finance a move because Liverpool want £32 million. That fee would also fund a replacement for the Argentina midfielder.

Cole’s outstanding form has generated interest from home and abroad, particularly in view of the financial problems at Upton Park.

West Ham fought off bids for their top players in the summer but are braced for more pressure when the transfer window re-opens.

Cole, who is 26 tomorrow, has scored six in 11 Premier League games this season, including one against Liverpool in September.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1226755/Liverpool-join-Carlton-Coles-suitors-West-Ham-braced-January-Kop-raid.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0WV9uUJMd

MickeyLove
10-11-09, 23:21
Written on the back of a packet of fags.

Just do not see there being a grain of truth in this article......

jamiechloe
10-11-09, 23:21
Liverpool are among the clubs planning a raid on West Ham to sign Carlton Cole in January.

With Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard struggling through injuries, manager Rafa Benitez has been forced to rely on back-up strikers David Ngog and Andriy Voronin.

Barcelona’s interest in Javier Mascherano could finance a move because Liverpool want £32 million. That fee would also fund a replacement for the Argentina midfielder.

Cole’s outstanding form has generated interest from home and abroad, particularly in view of the financial problems at Upton Park.

West Ham fought off bids for their top players in the summer but are braced for more pressure when the transfer window re-opens.

Cole, who is 26 tomorrow, has scored six in 11 Premier League games this season, including one against Liverpool in September.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1226755/Liverpool-join-Carlton-Coles-suitors-West-Ham-braced-January-Kop-raid.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0WV9uUJMd

ha ha daily mail eh?? I guess it is an international break so news is slow

fernandothelegend
10-11-09, 23:23
Yes i know lads they are prety useless but i found it interesting as i think carlton cole would be a great addition to our squad for the right price. He has come onto some game and woul;d give us a different dimension.

christhered
10-11-09, 23:25
Im worried he will be a flash in the pan and we could be stuck with another Heskey on our hands.

fernandothelegend
10-11-09, 23:26
Im worried he will be a flash in the pan and we could be stuck with another Heskey on our hands.

At the moment he is playing more like drogba than heskey.

jezthered82
10-11-09, 23:28
Yes i know lads they are prety useless but i found it interesting as i think carlton cole would be a great addition to our squad for the right price. He has come onto some game and woul;d give us a different dimension.

No doubt he's come on leaps and bounds and could improve further to be a right handful. With Heskey's poor form, he could be starting for England at the WC if he carries on in the form he's in.

That would make him more expensive in summer rather than January.

Still, we don t have the money and it's the daily mail. Which makes it only true to anyone who believes in fiction as fact...:scarf

christhered
10-11-09, 23:30
At the moment he is playing more like drogba than heskey.

Just as Heskey played like drogba at times when he was at Leicester, well not as good as Drogba, but he looked awesome at times.

MickeyLove
10-11-09, 23:32
West Ham would demand in the region of 15/20 million for him?
According to them that would leave us 12 mill to replace Javier..... N'Gog has done enough for Rafa to stick with him while Torres is out injured.

Anyone know goals per mins on the pitch comparison of Cole and N'Gog this season? I reckon young David will be ahead on that one.....

KeemI
10-11-09, 23:38
If we want a cheap back up,there are many in lesser leagues who would be happy sitting on the bench.Cole wants to go the world cup and his fee would be nothing less than 15mill.

LordJamieOfCarragher
10-11-09, 23:39
Cole won't jepordise his World Cup chances with a move in January.

Professor_of_Cunning
11-11-09, 00:16
Given Benitez's previous (reported) interest in Emile Heskey an approach for Carlton Cole wouldn't be overly surprising, but are we likely to be able to afford him? I'd be far more keen to try and tempt Pavlyuchenko on loan until the end of the season, or take advantage of Benni McCarthy's unrest at Blackburn. Hell, I'd even consider bidding for Kevin Phillips at this point - at least he has a track record of coming on and scoring when required.

If we do lose Mascherano - and I sincerely hope that we don't - then a move for Tom Huddlestone has to be considered. I don't think it would take much more than £20m to prize him away from White Hart Lane and the switich certainly wouldn't harm his international aspirations. We'd then be in a reasonable position to bring in an experienced, proven goal-scorer for around £10m.

NJNorm
11-11-09, 00:16
Its Upson we need well we need any defender worthy of the name

Paullfc1976
11-11-09, 00:18

True.

We need more decent CB cover.

Andyfagan
11-11-09, 00:32

Agree with the last part but not the first.

KeemI
11-11-09, 01:00
I have always rated Upson and Woodgate.I feel they are the finest of their generation,only playing at the wrong clubs.

Paullfc1976
11-11-09, 01:19
I have always rated Upson and Woodgate.I feel they are the finest of their generation,only playing at the wrong clubs.

Woodgate is far to injury prone and Upson aint that good buddy.

He was at Arsenal was Upson and failed to make an impact.

Woodgate has played for a few clubs, but injuries have taken their toll and he has never fulfilled his potential.

Jayfire
11-11-09, 10:15
West Ham would demand in the region of 15/20 million for him?
According to them that would leave us 12 mill to replace Javier..... N'Gog has done enough for Rafa to stick with him while Torres is out injured.

Anyone know goals per mins on the pitch comparison of Cole and N'Gog this season? I reckon young David will be ahead on that one.....

Just spent last 20 minutes working that one out. In all competitions this season (competitive) the stats are:

Ngog 1 goal every 93.75 minutes
Cole 1 goal every 181 minutes

Not that i have plenty of time on my hands :D

stano123
11-11-09, 10:21
i think he would be a good buy, and something different upfront, Ngog had one of the best games ive seen from him but his not the answer to our striking problems yet.

I see cole as Heskey who can finish.

Liverpoolforme
11-11-09, 10:23
how old is cole?

Jayfire
11-11-09, 10:25
how old is cole?

-Deano-
11-11-09, 10:26
Just spent last 20 minutes working that one out. In all competitions this season (competitive) the stats are:

Good effort repped

-Deano-
11-11-09, 10:27
One question do we need Cole especially for 15-20mil

Newname
11-11-09, 10:29
Cole won't jepordise his World Cup chances with a move in January.

Yes but it is a move that could give him a starting place come the world cup.

Jayfire
11-11-09, 10:32
Good effort repped

Thanks mate ;)

jambags
11-11-09, 10:37
a move for cole to us from relegation threatened hammers would improve his world cup chances!
cant see him costing more than 10m if he pushes for the move because the other top clubs wont be in for him, they dont need him.
my concern is if this is his ceiling, as everyone is raving on about him, i dont think hes brilliant, i think hes been good,but if thats as good as he gets, hes not good enough.

jambags
11-11-09, 10:37

great effort, now do just league please? itl be even better for ngog then i reckon!!

Jayfire
11-11-09, 10:39
a move for cole to us from relegation threatened hammers would improve his world cup chances!
cant see him costing more than 10m if he pushes for the move because the other top clubs wont be in for him, they dont need him.
my concern is if this is his ceiling, as everyone is raving on about him, i dont think hes brilliant, i think hes been good,but if thats as good as he gets, hes not good enough.

I agree, i think in some games he can be very good, but then the next few games he looks like bambi on ice. If we was going to spend 10-15 million i think there would be better options available.

steviedogleash
11-11-09, 10:46
Given Benitez's previous (reported) interest in Emile Heskey an approach for Carlton Cole wouldn't be overly surprising, but are we likely to be able to afford him? I'd be far more keen to try and tempt Pavlyuchenko on loan until the end of the season, or take advantage of Benni McCarthy's unrest at Blackburn. Hell, I'd even consider bidding for Kevin Phillips at this point - at least he has a track record of coming on and scoring when required.

If we do lose Mascherano - and I sincerely hope that we don't - then a move for Tom Huddlestone has to be considered. I don't think it would take much more than £20m to prize him away from White Hart Lane and the switich certainly wouldn't harm his international aspirations. We'd then be in a reasonable position to bring in an experienced, proven goal-scorer for around £10m.

huddlestone in ared shirt?

AnfieldFaithFul
11-11-09, 10:49
Not entirely sure £32million would fund a move for Cole and a decent back up for Masch, but I don't believe that to be the point in the article anyway.

However what would be the point in having Cole, when hopefully by Janurary we should have people running around and fit again. I am of course talking about Gerrard and Torres.

L1verFC
11-11-09, 11:06
with the world cup comeing up he is not gonna go somewhere he will play seond striker he knows the situation here and i couldnt see him looseing out on south africa to join us or chelsea,man u,arsenal he will only go some were he will be 1st striker

Jayfire
11-11-09, 11:15
great effort, now do just league please? itl be even better for ngog then i reckon!!

League only:

Ngog 1 goal every 43 minutes :eek:

Cole 1 goal every 155.83 minutes :D

Dousty
11-11-09, 11:19
Make no bones about it he would be a great asset to have at this club. He is strong, fast and knows where the goal is, though even at 26 he strikes me as still a bit raw and unpredictable, which might make him a gamble.

Could we switch our formation to include both Cole and Torres - a tasty front-line I think you'd agree? I'm not sure. The last thing we want to do is mess up the Gerrard-Torres axis that drives our team forward so well (well maybe not so far this season... ahem injuries ;)).

We're stuck really because we all want strength in depth yet it appears that we can only play 1 striker in our formation, and no-one who is the focal point of one side would come here to sit on the bench? Could Cole be converted into a right-sided attacker, aka Kuyt? He certainly has the pace and power for the role but does he have the subtlety??

I've been very impressed with him this season and feel there's even more to come and it'd be great to have a 2nd striker of his quality in our ranks however with our money situation I just don't see it happening.

RedBaros
11-11-09, 11:38
Daily Mail should be banned on here same as the Sun.
How lazy is that journalism?

Rafa might sell Masch in January, somehow replace him and use most of the money on Cole.

Would make more sense if we really have that reported £12m and just buy him.
http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/rafa-benitez-to-spend-big-again-

There's also reports that we have no money, and someone on here said that Purslow's already said there will be no spending.

Alonso and Crouch paid for our summer transfers and then we were completely let down in thinking there should be other money to buy a forward.
Not getting any hopes up for January, would be nice to think we'll get a forward but I'll believe it when I see it.

sorry :(

nuggs
11-11-09, 11:46
Make no bones about it he would be a great asset to have at this club. He is strong, fast and knows where the goal is, though even at 26 he strikes me as still a bit raw and unpredictable, which might make him a gamble.

Could we switch our formation to include both Cole and Torres - a tasty front-line I think you'd agree? I'm not sure. The last thing we want to do is mess up the Gerrard-Torres axis that drives our team forward so well (well maybe not so far this season... ahem injuries ;)).

We're stuck really because we all want strength in depth yet it appears that we can only play 1 striker in our formation, and no-one who is the focal point of one side would come here to sit on the bench? Could Cole be converted into a right-sided attacker, aka Kuyt? He certainly has the pace and power for the role but does he have the subtlety??

I've been very impressed with him this season and feel there's even more to come and it'd be great to have a 2nd striker of his quality in our ranks however with our money situation I just don't see it happening.

You hit several nails there Dousty

If we are to persist with 1 up top then I don't see any decent player coming here to shine the bench with his backside.

If however we played a similar system that say manure or Chelsea do with more often than not two top drawer forwards on the pitch at once then fine. Only I wouldn't consider cole a top drawer player despite the fact I'd be happy to see him in the squad at the right price. Then of course we need to consider budget constraints and so on. I also share some concerns he may become another heskey.

I don't see him as a player we should convert though a la Kuyt, we should learn our lesson there and find a genuine attacking right sided player with pace and a touch, no offence dirk but i agree with Tony barrett in the Times today - you need a place on the bench for a while.

Back to Cole anyway - Maybe it could work if we played a diamond like Chelsea with these 6?

..................................Masch........... ...............................

..........gerrard................................. .........Aquilani.............

.................................Yossi............ ................................

.................Cole.......................Torres ..............................

Possibilities?

I can see that causing teams some trouble.

ThirdPaul
11-11-09, 11:52
If we do lose Mascherano - and I sincerely hope that we don't - then a move for Tom Huddlestone has to be considered

:D

Good one.

Mullerbugs
11-11-09, 12:00
Carlton Cole could provide the perfect foil for Torres. Its not often you get a strike partnership where both players are prolific as one usually has to be a little less selfish in order for the partnership to work. Hence why Stevie and Torres has flourished. Stevie not being a typical striker with only goal on his mind is much more creative.

Cartlon Cole could give us another dimension upfront. He would win plenty of phsycial challenges and both Torres and Gerrard could feed well off him. He's not bad at getting his fair share of goals but i could imagine not many top defenders enjoy playing against him.

Probably not the most mobile but has shown enough promise to be a surprise call up for England and when given the opportunity has taken it well.

I'd be happy to see the lad at Liverpool, ok he's not David Silva but then we cant afford Silva so realistic alternatives need to be targeted. With premiership experience he could be just what we need and theres no doubting Rafa has always like a big player up front, hence Crouchie and Carew at Valencia.

Could be an idea to buy him before the world cup as if he gets a chance and takes it he'll be double the price on his return.

Jayfire
11-11-09, 18:30
Sorry, i just don't think he is really that good, one game every now and then he does well but then goes back to being a donkey. I don't think he belongs at this club.

fernandothelegend
11-11-09, 18:39
Sorry, i just don't think he is really that good, one game every now and then he does well but then goes back to being a donkey. I don't think he belongs at this club.

If you watch him you will realsie he has no service at west ham. He is a beast was holding the ball up against our back four and even mascherano and has become a very talented player. The ball sticks and against us and arsenal he was very impressive. He also should be leading england into the world cup ahead of heskey. He would give us a different dimension and would be a great signing.

cookpassbabtridge
11-11-09, 18:41
This wont happen.

He is in possesion of one of the best first touches in the premier league. If the finishing side of his game ever clicks he will be devastating.

Liverdinner
11-11-09, 18:46
This wont happen.

He is in possesion of one of the best first touches in the premier league. If the finishing side of his game ever clicks he will be devastating.

Eh:confused:

cookpassbabtridge
11-11-09, 18:48
Eh:confused:

Watch him play football instead of saying "lol he is tall and plays for West ham"

Liverdinner
11-11-09, 18:52
Watch him play football instead of saying "lol he is tall and plays for West ham"

You think he has one of the best touches in the league? He doesnt even have the best touch in his team.

cookpassbabtridge
11-11-09, 18:57
You think he has one of the best touches in the league? He doesnt even have the best touch in his team.

I should of added for a striker really. Small midfielders control the ball better than big centre forwards, shock horror.

Liverdinner
11-11-09, 19:08
I should of added for a striker really. Small midfielders control the ball better than big centre forwards, shock horror.

You should have yes.

I would say Crouch and Adebayor have a better touch for big men-Drogba too probably.

cookpassbabtridge
11-11-09, 19:19
You should have yes.

I would say Crouch and Adebayor have a better touch for big men-Drogba too probably.

Crouch probably does then stuggles to get the ball from under his long legs. Adebeyor has a better one too as does Berbatov. Drogba same type of technique based on power as Cole he just finishes a a whole of alot better.

For example you tell Crouch with his better touch to ram into someone while he takes it. Not going to happen for him.

Liverdinner
11-11-09, 19:23
Crouch probably does then stuggles to get the ball from under his long legs. Adebeyor has a better one too as does Berbatov. Drogba same type of technique based on power as Cole he just finishes a a whole of alot better.

For example you tell Crouch with his better touch to ram into someone while he takes it. Not going to happen for him.

But they do all have a better touch. In terms of power combined i'd say maybe Cole was the best.

greatchinu
11-11-09, 19:26
You hit several nails there Dousty

..................................Masch........... ...............................

..........gerrard................................. .........Aquilani.............

.................................Yossi............ ................................

.................Cole.......................Torres ..............................

Possibilities?

I can see that causing teams some trouble.

dude, remember

.....keane.....torres.....

that looked the deadliest poacher combination, though i must admit when they played together they did create a lot of chances.
everton game springs to mind.
i wish rafa had stuck with keane till the end of the season. but it just didn't work out for him and rafa. :(

anyways, i'd probably say ngog is a damn good goal-scoring threat, and his finishing is really good ever since i saw him in the red jersey.

The Kloppster
11-11-09, 19:26
The Daily Mail is a trashy tabloid and a Manc paper to boot.

I wouldn't believe anything coming out of it, except when it's bad news. They never write anything nice about us.

Lowlife stinking pile of sewage jerkoffs! :D

Pedagogue
11-11-09, 20:59
We need more variety up front, and Cole as a big bustling and strong striker, with height and a good touch fits the role; him, Torres and N'gog will provide with us more options offensively and keep opposing teams' defences on their toes.

We're deffo struggling for more dimensions going forward. and in the opposition's box. apart form Nando. we don't look like finishing with any penetration or conviction.

I think in our own box defensively we also need to invest on a solid, young CB to eventually replace Carra or cover for Agger; at this end we've not been resilient and focused enough either.

In truth, I don't see either happening in Jan cos of tight finances and Purslow's previous announcement, unless Rafa can off-load Babel, Dosser and Vronin; but I would go for Cole before the WC cos his price will double if he makes an impact with Shrek.

shabbakop
11-11-09, 21:39
No denying he is quality but £15-20 million would be better spent on improving other areas of the team. Especially when we have a back up striker who scores 1 in every 43 minutes of league football ;)

Seanosdelgardo
11-11-09, 21:50

Thee service he'd get here would be significantly better than at Upton Park tho.

I like Cole, but we couldnt afford him.

As usual the problem with signing a striker of significant talent tho is the fact any decent striker will not come here to sit on the bench in a one striker system

DEEKY
12-11-09, 00:11
Thee service he'd get here would be significantly better than at Upton Park tho.

I like Cole, but we couldnt afford him.

As usual the problem with signing a striker of significant talent tho is the fact any decent striker will not come here to sit on the bench in a one striker system

If any decent striker was here he would have had his fair share of chances over the past two seasons. Nando is excellent but injury prone so this nonsense about only having room for one world class striker is precisely that. Rafa should maybe shock horror play two up top in matches where we need a goal.

I two like Cole he was excellent against holland in a recent friendly and I think he would fit in nicely at anfield.

j0nnybarnes
12-11-09, 13:36
What do people think of the rumours re: Rafa's interest in C. Cole.
"IF" there's any truth in it. i personally am not a fan of Cole, especially not at the prices being quoted already.

Thoughts?

Ganymede
12-11-09, 13:38
He's a big donkey.

For Cole read Heskey!

However, cool you jets sunshine it will never happen as we couldn't not afford him. Thank God/Allah for being skint!! G&H have come in useful after all!! :D

Seanosdelgardo
12-11-09, 13:42
If any decent striker was here he would have had his fair share of chances over the past two seasons. Nando is excellent but injury prone so this nonsense about only having room for one world class striker is precisely that.

Any striker who comes here knows he's second choice. He knows that when Torres is fit, Torres plays. In a one striker system you wont get many decent strikers taking up that offer, period.

IstanbulDreams
12-11-09, 13:45
I'd take him, and think he's a cracking player. Big, strong, pacey and has started to add goals to his game.

Nine-Eight-Nine
12-11-09, 14:16
Read somewhere the hammers now want 20 mill for him? 20 mill for a (most of the time) tap in goal scorer. Surley there is much better out there for that kind of money? :confused:

RedBaros
12-11-09, 14:54
Read somewhere the hammers now want 20 mill for him? 20 mill for a (most of the time) tap in goal scorer. Surley there is much better out there for that kind of money? :confused:

Lavezzi, Luis Suarez, maybe Villa with some vision from the Yanks..

Cole would be a good buy for us, and might be worth £20m soon, especially if he has a good World Cup. I wouldn't really mind that much as long as he worked out for us. Rafa has to get the next one right.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-must-pay-20million-for-carlton-cole?

RedKite
12-11-09, 15:23
£20 million asked is ridiculous.

RedBaros
12-11-09, 15:28
£20 million asked is ridiculous.

They have financial troubles and losing Cole would be massive for them, so it's understandable.
Same way we wanted over £30m for Alonso when he was realistically worth around 20-25m.

Cole could make a big difference for us, and if Rafa played 2 strikers then defences would have a nightmare dealing with them.

We paid 20m for Keane after all. I think it's worth the gamble, or maybe Babel plus cash.

All depends on the Yanks though. :(

IstanbulDreams
12-11-09, 15:30

Cole would be a good buy for us, and might be worth £20m soon, especially if he has a good World Cup. I wouldn't really mind that much as long as he worked out for us. Rafa has to get the next one right.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-must-pay-20million-for-carlton-cole?

I agree, the fee is pretty insignificant if the buy works out. If in some magical way Rafa is given £20 million pound to buy a striker in January, then he should buy the player he wants. Keane cost £20 million and personally I feel Cole would offer far more to our team than Keane ever could or did.

RedBaros
12-11-09, 15:37
I agree, the fee is pretty insignificant if the buy works out. If in some magical way Rafa is given £20 million pound to buy a striker in January, then he should buy the player he wants. Keane cost £20 million and personally I feel Cole would offer far more to our team than Keane ever could or did.

Exactly.

After Torres we don't have anyone for the fear factor up front.
Cole would give us that, and I think both up front would be too much for most teams to deal with. Torres & Cole >> Drogba & Anelka imo.

IstanbulDreams
12-11-09, 15:45
Exactly.

After Torres we don't have anyone for the fear factor up front.
Cole would give us that, and I think both up front would be too much for most teams to deal with. Torres & Cole >> Drogba & Anelka imo.

Definitley. People are bemoaning the suggested fee, but seem to forget the fee paid for Fernando Torres- A striker who at the time wasn't seen as a goal scorer, or a player reaching his full potential. A player playing for an average Athletico side, and starved of any real decent service. I think Cole is a beast of a player, and over the last 2 seasons has gradually improved to a point where he could be on the plane to South Africa next year.

jamiechloe
12-11-09, 16:06
I think there's another fact we are overlooking..he's as injury prone as Torres!!!

RedBaros
12-11-09, 16:35
Definitley. People are bemoaning the suggested fee, but seem to forget the fee paid for Fernando Torres- A striker who at the time wasn't seen as a goal scorer, or a player reaching his full potential. A player playing for an average Athletico side, and starved of any real decent service. I think Cole is a beast of a player, and over the last 2 seasons has gradually improved to a point where he could be on the plane to South Africa next year.

He should get even better with us with more quality around him.
He's improved a lot and I remember watching part of a show about him and his development, last year maybe.
Maybe we'll manage to sign him, considering we've done good business with the club for Masch and Benny, Cole might be next.

Capello seems to have made his mind up about him, and all it takes is a good performance in SA and his value will rocket anyway, so if we're going to do it then now would be the time, might be too late in the summer.

I think there's another fact we are overlooking..he's as injury prone as Torres!!!

I don't know the figures but can you expand on that?

He seems to be doing alright now.

jamiechloe
12-11-09, 16:44
I don't know the figures but can you expand on that?

He seems to be doing alright now.

Nor do i but he's just come back from an injury has he not?,he's missed 1 or 2 england squads due to injury and im sure im right in thinking that he spent quite a bit of time lat season injured.

Personally i cant have him for Liverpool

RedBaros
12-11-09, 16:49
Nor do i but he's just come back from an injury has he not?,he's missed 1 or 2 england squads due to injury and im sure im right in thinking that he spent quite a bit of time lat season injured.

Personally i cant have him for Liverpool

Every player gets injured, if he's fit then there's no reason he couldn't sign for us. Just have to deal with the injuries when they happen and get on with it.

For the way we set up the Cole is ideal, big target man with strength but with an eye for goal, unlike Heskey.
I see him as a stronger, better version of Crouch.

Might check the stats on his injuries again..
(signing out)

Liverdinner
12-11-09, 16:55

The thing is with Cole, is that he offers a plan B-an aerially dominant powerhouse is not in our armoury right now at all. The others are all top players, but as back-up and in the English league, maybe Cole is a safer bet.

jamiechloe
12-11-09, 17:39
Every player gets injured, if he's fit then there's no reason he couldn't sign for us. Just have to deal with the injuries when they happen and get on with it.

For the way we set up the Cole is ideal, big target man with strength but with an eye for goal, unlike Heskey.
I see him as a stronger, better version of Crouch.

Might check the stats on his injuries again..
(signing out)

Unless we change the way we setup then paying £20mill for a striker to come in as a plan b dont make sense and lets not forget we have had alot of forwards come and go recently, im not so sure a striker would want to come to us after the debarcle of the keane episode. Torres will always be no 1 and rafa is going to have to convince a suitable player that he is gonna change his formation otherwise why is he coming

KeemI
12-11-09, 17:40
If Cole is 20mill,then Bent is priceless!

ynwa-robbieGod
12-11-09, 17:49
Please Reject this offer.

Obviously expensive.

I'd prefer to save £20 million for Mata or Villa for future.

Jayfire
12-11-09, 19:36
If Cole is 20mill,then Bent is priceless!

League Only Stats:

Bent - 1 goal every 132.75 minutes

Ngog -1 goal every 43 minutes

Cole - 1 goal every 155.83 minutes

;)

jamiechloe
12-11-09, 20:27
Its a sad sad day when this great club of ours is being mentioned with the players of the calibre of carlton cole and Roman Pavylechenko..and some of us on here are actually championing buying carlton cole for 20mill...:crying :crying

stano123
12-11-09, 20:30
League Only Stats:

Bent - 1 goal every 132.75 minutes

Ngog -1 goal every 43 minutes

Cole - 1 goal every 155.83 minutes

;)

Would Ngog get the same amount of goals at Westham?

Jayfire
12-11-09, 20:45
Its a sad sad day when this great club of ours is being mentioned with the players of the calibre of carlton cole and Roman Pavylechenko..and some of us on here are actually championing buying carlton cole for 20mill...:crying :crying

So True

stevieNnandoNpepe
12-11-09, 22:57
i think tomkins asked rafa about cole and he said that maybe hes one of those players who needs to play regularly to have confidence, and that we have nando....:)

cookpassbabtridge
12-11-09, 23:45
Not for 20 million. 14 was steep.

I like him too, but no.

RedKite
13-11-09, 00:21

Pavylyuchenko would probably meet our needs. We might only get 'Chenko' on the back of the shirt though.

Pedagogue
13-11-09, 02:46
Where does the maths come in for N'gog's goals per mins?

Warra load of $hite.

N'gog's played bits and pieces of games as a sub, and rarely a full 90 like on Monday. So his total mins are not as large as a divisible in comparison to a full-time forward who plays 7 or 8 games x 90mins.

If you scored say 15 goals in 25 games, that sounds a really good ratio until you divide it by 25 games x 90 mins = 2250. Then divided it by 15 goals scored = 1 goal per 150mins!!:confused::confused::eek:

What's all that about? Statistics and more damned statistics. What's the agenda and purpose here, it's like a political manifesto.

Therefore, do we judge a striker's contribution as a raw stat, including Torres!!

Get the calculators out.....:D

Desciple
13-11-09, 08:58
20mil for Cole would be madness,Ngog is coming on leaps and bounds,now is the time to show faith in him,build his confidence not knock it.

Martin Kelly Motm imo against lyon at right back,an u19 cb for england,went out on loan to Huddersfield played several games,scored a goal Terry Mac was impressed by the lad,would he be more of risk than Kyrgiakos?

Imo putting fresh legs into the team,young hungry players,can only benefit the club Martin and David have shown promise let's build on it.

I dont think we'll have any money to spend in Jan anyway.

Dousty
13-11-09, 09:26
Pavylyuchenko would probably meet our needs. We might only get 'Chenko' on the back of the shirt though.

Probably more like 'Pav' with an option to pay for the extra letters yourself :D

IstanbulDreams
13-11-09, 09:49

Just out of interest, what were your thoughts on £20 million for Keane?

RedBaros
13-11-09, 11:20
The thing is with Cole, is that he offers a plan B-an aerially dominant powerhouse is not in our armoury right now at all. The others are all top players, but as back-up and in the English league, maybe Cole is a safer bet.

Definitely need that. When was the last time we headed in a corner?
Even though Prem proven is a bit of a dodgy phrase, it does come in handy if you're joining halfway through a season.

Unless we change the way we setup then paying £20mill for a striker to come in as a plan b dont make sense and lets not forget we have had alot of forwards come and go recently, im not so sure a striker would want to come to us after the debarcle of the keane episode. Torres will always be no 1 and rafa is going to have to convince a suitable player that he is gonna change his formation otherwise why is he coming

It's more of a plan AB. Vast improvement on what we already have as back up, and could give Rafa the option of playing both up front for some games.
Cole is good enough to lead the line when Torres isn't on top form.
No harm in Torres being a sub sometimes, take some weight off his shoulders.

We have to get away from this idea that any new striker would simply be plan B. If Torres isn't on top form he should rest. Also, how good would it look for us having Torres on the bench? United can bring on a £30m striker as a sub, we need that, adds to the fear factor.

Jayfire
13-11-09, 11:24
Where does the maths come in for N'gog's goals per mins?

Warra load of $hite.

N'gog's played bits and pieces of games as a sub, and rarely a full 90 like on Monday. So his total mins are not as large as a divisible in comparison to a full-time forward who plays 7 or 8 games x 90mins.

If you scored say 15 goals in 25 games, that sounds a really good ratio until you divide it by 25 games x 90 mins = 2250. Then divided it by 15 goals scored = 1 goal per 150mins!!:confused::confused::eek:

What's all that about? Statistics and more damned statistics. What's the agenda and purpose here, it's like a political manifesto.

Therefore, do we judge a striker's contribution as a raw stat, including Torres!!

Get the calculators out.....:D

Never have I known someone who actually thought stats told a true story of a player or team :rolleyes:

Alon1
13-11-09, 12:18
Definitely need that. When was the last time we headed in a corner?
Even though Prem proven is a bit of a dodgy phrase, it does come in handy if you're joining halfway through a season.

It's more of a plan AB. Vast improvement on what we already have as back up, and could give Rafa the option of playing both up front for some games.
Cole is good enough to lead the line when Torres isn't on top form.
No harm in Torres being a sub sometimes, take some weight off his shoulders.

We have to get away from this idea that any new striker would simply be plan B. If Torres isn't on top form he should rest. Also, how good would it look for us having Torres on the bench? United can bring on a £30m striker as a sub, we need that, adds to the fear factor.

We will never pay that money for him, I doubt the owners will give that money to Benitez in the current situation even if we have it, Pavlyuchenko on loan or for a few millions, maybe, 20 million for Cole? That will be a desperate buy…and what for? Trying to secure the 4th spot for the CL? If someone tell us this at the beginning of the season I would have thought it was joke.

slimman
13-11-09, 12:25
While i feel he would offer something different to what we have already i just don't think the price quoted is realistsic and we're not exactly flush with cash afterall.

Just doesn't have too much legs to actually get done. He also seems to pick up little niggly injuries.

RedBaros
13-11-09, 12:59
I think our best option so far is Luis Suarez for Babel and cash, if possible.

If we could manage to raise £20m then I'd send that and Dossena to Napoli for Lavezzi.

Carlton Cole is improving all the time, and a good performance in SA would probably take his value to £20m.

It does seem overpriced right now but that's the way things are, and from West Ham's point of view, I wouldn't take anything less than £20m for him.
He'd be a massive loss for them and they'd be looking for good money, fair enough, we did that with Alonso.

@Alon1: You're post was a bit short sighted there mate, we wouldn't just be spending £20m to try and secure 4th spot, the race isn't over yet.
Take a look at our fixtures, there's a good chance of going on a long run of wins now, starting with a confidence boosting win against City.
By the time we play Arsenal, Utd and Chelsea again we should be back to full strength, with this poor form hopefully behind us.
They haven't hit a bad patch yet, it can happen and we can catch up.

I don't think we'll do it unless there's adequate cover for Torres, or someone good enough to play alongside him if we play two up front.
If we do finish 4th then at least we'll have our strikers ready to go for next season. We just need a striker now, that's obvious, if Rafa spends £20m on Cole then that's fine with me, just get a striker asap.

KopWaa
13-11-09, 13:08
Suarez is v.good striker,Good finisher,Like to keep Babel Personally he offers bigger threat than few others but he's not happy been squad player.Carlton Cole Not sure i can see another Heskey in him.Lavessi be good option too Dossena's on the way out i'd say,so if Babel,Dossena and Voronin leave in Jan and we can get direct replacements for at least 2 preferrably 2 new attackers i'd be happy once we've a fully fit squad,2nd half of season would be something to look forward too.Come On Redmen:scarf

RedBaros
13-11-09, 13:12
Suarez is v.good striker,Good finisher,Like to keep Babel Personally he offers bigger threat than few others but he's not happy been squad player.Carlton Cole Not sure i can see another Heskey in him.Lavessi be good option too Dossena's on the way out i'd say,so if Babel,Dossena and Voronin leave in Jan and we can get direct replacements for at least 2 preferrably 2 new attackers i'd be happy once we've a fully fit squad,2nd half of season would be something to look forward too.Come On Redmen:scarf

That's the thing, for the quality we need we'd have to sell Babel, Dossena and Voronin first, to buy Suarez, Cole or Lavezzi.

Getting money from the Yanks seems to be a fantasy. :(

Fowi
13-11-09, 13:21
I don't think we need him.

Finnyfnar
13-11-09, 13:24
Luis Saha anyone? Seems to be over his troublesome injuries (unless I'm out of date). Wouldn't be the first to move across the park, and a decent back-up to Torres. May also extend his career to not have to play every game, and gets the opportunity to play at the top again...

Alon1
13-11-09, 13:27
I think our best option so far is Luis Suarez for Babel and cash, if possible.

If we could manage to raise £20m then I'd send that and Dossena to Napoli for Lavezzi.

Carlton Cole is improving all the time, and a good performance in SA would probably take his value to £20m.

It does seem overpriced right now but that's the way things are, and from West Ham's point of view, I wouldn't take anything less than £20m for him.
He'd be a massive loss for them and they'd be looking for good money, fair enough, we did that with Alonso.

@Alon1: You're post was a bit short sighted there mate, we wouldn't just be spending £20m to try and secure 4th spot, the race isn't over yet.
Take a look at our fixtures, there's a good chance of going on a long run of wins now, starting with a confidence boosting win against City.
By the time we play Arsenal, Utd and Chelsea again we should be back to full strength, with this poor form hopefully behind us.
They haven't hit a bad patch yet, it can happen and we can catch up.

I don't think we'll do it unless there's adequate cover for Torres, or someone good enough to play alongside him if we play two up front.
If we do finish 4th then at least we'll have our strikers ready to go for next season. We just need a striker now, that's obvious, if Rafa spends £20m on Cole then that's fine with me, just get a striker asap.

Ok, I am very short sighted yes, we are 11 points behind Chelsea after 12 games, there are another 5 teams ahead to us at the moment, and you tell me we are challenging for the title…well, I am sorry but I am not seeing it that way, if after a run of games we are 6-7 points behind then we can talk, but before that we better set realistic targets.

About Cole, i really don’t see how the WC in SA is going to change his value, that,s assuming he is going there, which is not certain by any means, he is a fringe player for England and barring injuries I can,t see that changing much. I think is a decent player that could make a job for us, but the only reason someone will play 20 million for him, will be a desperate club, with CASH in their pocket, trying to buy in January what they didn,t buy in the summer, I think we tick some of the boxes but not the main one.

grevsmoker
13-11-09, 13:28
If we could get Carlton Cole on the cheap I think it would be great. He could provide us some other options upfront and would be a decent back up. Anything above 10 mill is to much though. And 20 is a joke.

RedBaros
13-11-09, 13:28
I don't think we need him.

Anyone?

Luis Saha anyone? Seems to be over his troublesome injuries (unless I'm out of date). Wouldn't be the first to move across the park, and a decent back-up to Torres. May also extend his career to not have to play every game, and gets the opportunity to play at the top again...

Ex manc ex bitter worse than Kewell and Owen and Hargreaves put together.

He's reached his level now.

Gazza74
13-11-09, 13:30
I prefer David Ngog thanks.

Finnyfnar
13-11-09, 13:30
Anyone?

Ex manc ex bitter worse than Kewell and Owen and Hargreaves put together.

He's reached his level now.

Players like Beardsley and Barmby should be vilified with that criteria, and of course Ince. Also, David Johnson, going back a few years.

RedBaros
13-11-09, 13:38
Ok, I am very short sighted yes, we are 11 points behind Chelsea after 12 games, there are another 5 teams ahead to us at the moment, and you tell me we are challenging for the title…well, I am sorry but I am not seeing it that way, if after a run of games we are 6-7 points behind then we can talk, but before that we better set realistic targets.

About Cole, i really don’t see how the WC in SA is going to change his value, that,s assuming he is going there, which is not certain by any means, he is a fringe player for England and barring injuries I can,t see that changing much. I think is a decent player that could make a job for us, but the only reason someone will play 20 million for him, will be a desperate club, with CASH in their pocket, trying to buy in January what they didn,t buy in the summer, I think we fit some of the boxes but not the main one.

Don't give up, it can happen, and if anyone can claw this kind of thing back it's us.

If players play well at the WC it usually attracts a lot of interest and their value rockets. I'd put money on Cole going, Capello seems to be impressed with him, and he's doing very well at West Ham, showing quality above that standard.

We are desperate for a good striker, all we have after Torres is a free transfer stocking filler and a reserve who's just stepped up, does well but has a long way to go.

The gap between Torres and what's next is phenomenal, that has to be addressed or we'll get nowhere, especially with all the injuries.

After last season I thought there was no way in hell we'd suffer the same problems again, nobody could be that unlucky, but here we are again in the middle of it, so imo we are desperate, but as you say, a club with CASH.

The only answer to that is to sell Dossena, Babel and Voronin to raise money for the new player.

Dossena and Voronin wouldn't be missed anyway, so we're only really looking at improving on Babel.

My first vote is for Luis Suarez, seems to be more realistic than Lavezzi.

I doubt very much anyone would be unhappy seeing Cole join us, however Rafa managed to do it.

RedBaros
13-11-09, 13:42
Players like Beardsley and Barmby should be vilified with that criteria, and of course Ince. Also, David Johnson, going back a few years.

Was thinking more he wasn't good enough for Utd, a long time ago, and he's just about right for the Everton level, so not quite good enough for us.

Didn't really mean it in a villain sense. I'd accept Ryan Giggs or Beckham for a season if it was an option.

TheBestIsLFC
13-11-09, 14:20
If he replaces voronin i will do a collection for funds myself.:scarf

Alon1
13-11-09, 15:58
Don't give up, it can happen, and if anyone can claw this kind of thing back it's us.

If players play well at the WC it usually attracts a lot of interest and their value rockets. I'd put money on Cole going, Capello seems to be impressed with him, and he's doing very well at West Ham, showing quality above that standard.

We are desperate for a good striker, all we have after Torres is a free transfer stocking filler and a reserve who's just stepped up, does well but has a long way to go.

The gap between Torres and what's next is phenomenal, that has to be addressed or we'll get nowhere, especially with all the injuries.

After last season I thought there was no way in hell we'd suffer the same problems again, nobody could be that unlucky, but here we are again in the middle of it, so imo we are desperate, but as you say, a club with CASH.

The only answer to that is to sell Dossena, Babel and Voronin to raise money for the new player.

Dossena and Voronin wouldn't be missed anyway, so we're only really looking at improving on Babel.

My first vote is for Luis Suarez, seems to be more realistic than Lavezzi.

I doubt very much anyone would be unhappy seeing Cole join us, however Rafa managed to do it.

To be honest, people are focusing on finding an alternative to Torres but the fact is that we are losing games cause of our defense, if we were defending properly we should beat the likes of Birmingham with or without Torres, our problem is in defense not in attack, till we don't resolve that there is not way we will go on a run of games winning.

Ngog is still a bit raw, but his goal ratio per games it,s better than Cole,s

IstanbulDreams
13-11-09, 16:03
To be honest, people are focusing on finding an alternative to Torres but the fact is that we are losing games cause of our defense, if we were defending properly we should beat the likes of Birmingham with or without Torres, our problem is in defense not in attack, till we don't resolve that there is not way we will go on a run of games winning.

Why does everyone keep focusing on this? It's a false perspective.

Ngog's goal to game ratio this season is better than the likes of Anelka, Tevez and Berbatov. But I wouldn't say he's better than these players.

Don't get me wrong I like Ngog, but this goals to game ratio is gash.

Jayfire
13-11-09, 16:07

Ngog's goal to game ratio this season is better than the likes of Anelka, Tevez and Berbatov. But I wouldn't say he's better than these players.

Maybe i should work out his career goals/game ratio ;)

Alon1
13-11-09, 16:13

It,s obviously not everything, but it,s very important when is coming to judge the performance of the second choice striker, which is the case of Ngog.

Look, Cole would never play together with Torres, when this one is fit, there is not way Cole can challenge Torres, even he is off form, like at the beginning of the season, cause they are simply in a different galaxy, so if Cole would come here he would be judged on that basis too.

KopWaa
13-11-09, 16:43
That's the thing, for the quality we need we'd have to sell Babel, Dossena and Voronin first, to buy Suarez, Cole or Lavezzi.

Getting money from the Yanks seems to be a fantasy. :(Lose 3 squad players for 1 Good striker with Squad been hit by injuries we'd need fully fit squad before selling 3 players of any quality.

Snippes
13-11-09, 16:54
Am not saying we don't need a new striker cause clearly we do. Am saying we don't need that striker. Because we have David Ngog, I see absolutely no reason why we need Cole and I hope we don't go for him.

Better to focus on a different type of striker, maybe a quicker, trickier type with pace to burn to compliment the more target type that Ngog brings to our team. Pace is the key...we need variety. We have Torres who is basically God. We have Dirk...who is Dirk. We have Ngog, the target man in the making. Now we need that little zinger type striker who can create headaches for teams and take some of the pressure off Nando.

Dousty
13-11-09, 17:11
Now we need that little zinger type striker who can create headaches for teams and take some of the pressure off Nando.

Someone like Sergio Aguero perhaps?

I know he's expensive ;) and by all accounts if you believe the papers (which I don't) he's heading off to Chelsea in January, but that aside, he would be ideal yes :D. And he's already confessed to being a Liverpool fan (during "Istanbul"). Maybe the Yanks are holding back all that profit Rafa made on transfers in 2009 to blow it on Kun! :fishing

Stranger things have happened :eek:

jamiechloe
13-11-09, 17:25
I cannot beleive that there's even a thread about the possibility of signing him. Its laughable that Carlton Cole is being considered...I live in near romford so west ham fans are all over the place and this man was a figure of fun not so long ago and just because he has a half decent season, played the odd game for england, he 's touted to play for one of the world biggest clubs...it makes me wanna cry i tell ya!!!! Been a supporter for over 30 years and it feels very grim just like the souness years when we had Julian dicks etc in our team

sloveniankopite
13-11-09, 17:29

I know he's expensive ;) and by all accounts if you believe the papers (which I don't) he's heading off to Chelsea in January, but that aside, he would be ideal yes :D. And he's already confessed to being a Liverpool fan (during "Istanbul"). Maybe the Yanks are holding back all that profit Rafa made on transfers in 2009 to blow it on Kun! :fishing

Seeing Aguero playing for us? ... I think I'd orgasm :eek: :D

Seriously, with NGog on current form I don't think it's smart to spend 10mil. + on Cole for being backup. Also as someone already said, aprox. 3 players would have to be sold to fund this move, which is IMO not an option, our squad is already thin enough.

Snippes
13-11-09, 17:43

That's brilliantly perceptive, mate :D That is precisely who I was thinking of when I wrote that post. I just didn't dare write his name down given the little chance we have of singing the guy.

You would be surprised at the number of people here who doubt Kun for Liverpool but I have thought for quite some time that outside of the obvious Gerrard, Kun Aquero might be the perfect partner for Torres in our set up. Slow thinkers and movers (like Dirk or Crouch) just aren't good strike partners for Nando. Kun is short where Torres is tall - perfect compliment for each other in that defenders can't get comfortable in any certain way to defend both. One second you are dealing with a beast in Torres, the next you are trying to figure out this low center of gravity thing that moves like a cursor on a computer screen.

And while Kun is both quick and fast physically, more importantly he is a very intelligent striker. He knows how to read his runs very well, he is highly skillfull and he can score all types of goals as we say at Anfield in pre-season.

I think he'd be perfect...both with Torres and when Nando is not on the pitch. Its too bad he costs three times as much as anything we can afford. Otherwise I think he'd love to come to Liverpool. And still so young. It would really suck if he went to Chelsea. Or United.

Graggster
13-11-09, 17:53
Why cant their be rumours that we are after Pandev:(.. its depressing that their are always rumóurs about second rate players LFC maybe after.

kopitecrash
13-11-09, 21:16
wouldnt mind carlton cole at all. not for 20 mill though.

Kev-is-Red
14-11-09, 02:18
Rodallega is good, if not better. He would also be cheaper.

However I am all for loaning a striker (Pavlyuchenko??) for the second half of the season, and then having Nemeth & N'gog as cover next season.

RedBaros
14-11-09, 11:28

Rafa's bought Kyrgiakos to replace Sami, Kjaer would have been better but we've no money, and if we do have money for January we can't be spending it on another defender. They just have to sort it out. You could also say we've got two Ngogs in Kelly and Ayala. There's nobody to wear the no.7 shirt at Liverpool, Babel and Voronin let us down too often, it needs fixing otherwise we only really have Ngog if Torres is out, Kuyt's on the wing.

Depends how much we want to compete with the other top teams. Torres and Ngog isn't enough, there's no argument there.

It,s obviously not everything, but it,s very important when is coming to judge the performance of the second choice striker, which is the case of Ngog.

Look, Cole would never play together with Torres, when this one is fit, there is not way Cole can challenge Torres, even he is off form, like at the beginning of the season, cause they are simply in a different galaxy, so if Cole would come here he would be judged on that basis too.

How can you say he'd never play with Torres?

It hasn't been tried and I'm pretty sure it would cause havoc for defences, say if Rafa tried the diamond for a game.
The point is Torres should be rested when he isn't top form, otherwise he ends up injured like he is now.

I hate this micro analysing any time there's debate about a new striker joining Liverpool, going in to stats etc etc.

The simple fact is, we need a new striker, and if he can play the wings as well then that's a bonus.

Torres needs help, end of story.

RedBaros
14-11-09, 11:34
Lose 3 squad players for 1 Good striker with Squad been hit by injuries we'd need fully fit squad before selling 3 players of any quality.

Yes exactly, lose three squad players to buy one striker.
Unfortunately that's the only way it can happen with G/H in charge.
Dossena hardly ever plays anyway, and seems desperate to leave.
We finished 2nd last season without Voronin in the squad.
Babel hardly ever plays, and when he does he hardly ever does anything, one wonder goal every blue moon isn't very exciting.
All depends how much faith Rafa has left with him.

I'd rather we signed someone who could play regularly and make a difference to the team,.

Am not saying we don't need a new striker cause clearly we do. Am saying we don't need that striker. Because we have David Ngog, I see absolutely no reason why we need Cole and I hope we don't go for him.

Better to focus on a different type of striker, maybe a quicker, trickier type with pace to burn to compliment the more target type that Ngog brings to our team. Pace is the key...we need variety. We have Torres who is basically God. We have Dirk...who is Dirk. We have Ngog, the target man in the making. Now we need that little zinger type striker who can create headaches for teams and take some of the pressure off Nando.

I've reached the stage Snipes that I'll be happy to see anyone join as long as they have some quality.
Some people on here were even turning their noses up at Anelka joining us!
If it ends up being Cole who joins us then I'll be happy with that, because at least he's good and can cause trouble for other teams.
I'd rather Luis Suarez or Lavezzi or someone like that, but just get us a good forward Rafa please!!!

Pedagogue
14-11-09, 14:36
Latest developments would confirm a more typically pragmatic, low profile approach from Rafa. Being cash strapped this Jan a loan deal to refresh out attacking edge with a temporary move for Van der Vart or Spurs' Panyenchenko more likely.

Have we ever known Rafa to panic mid-season and bring anyone in? His transfer deals are both circumspect and slow in delivery during close season; we all seem to be waiting tortuously for deals to be concluded in the summer.
I honestly don't think he'll get anyone until the summer; he's loyal to his squad during a season and will prefer to get everyone fit again and maintain stability.

GordonBennett
14-11-09, 14:39
That's brilliantly perceptive, mate :D That is precisely who I was thinking of when I wrote that post. I just didn't dare write his name down given the little chance we have of singing the guy.

You would be surprised at the number of people here who doubt Kun for Liverpool but I have thought for quite some time that outside of the obvious Gerrard, Kun Aquero might be the perfect partner for Torres in our set up. Slow thinkers and movers (like Dirk or Crouch) just aren't good strike partners for Nando. Kun is short where Torres is tall - perfect compliment for each other in that defenders can't get comfortable in any certain way to defend both. One second you are dealing with a beast in Torres, the next you are trying to figure out this low center of gravity thing that moves like a cursor on a computer screen.

And while Kun is both quick and fast physically, more importantly he is a very intelligent striker. He knows how to read his runs very well, he is highly skillfull and he can score all types of goals as we say at Anfield in pre-season.

I think he'd be perfect...both with Torres and when Nando is not on the pitch. Its too bad he costs three times as much as anything we can afford. Otherwise I think he'd love to come to Liverpool. And still so young. It would really suck if he went to Chelsea. Or United.

although both players have matured into fine players since then, when Aguero and Torres played together at Atletico they didn't quite hit it off when they partnered eachother and this is coming from a keen spectator of La Liga.

sabretoothluis
14-11-09, 14:43
Well carlton cole is english so his price will double to 20m .. he will most likely to go to spurs as pavluchenko is likely to leave .. what about a bid for him from us 10m maybe

Pedagogue
14-11-09, 14:54
More likely a loan deal will be struck for now Zeel.

Rafa will want to see if they fit into his plans, gel with the squad rotation culture and do the biz before he'd commit serious money. The stumping-up of cash can only happen next summer after a full review and and an injection of the promised investment from our new sponsors.

My betting money would be on either Van or Pan being the likely candidates if anyone is gonna join us in Jan.

Eek, I've just intentionally written a half-rhyme!:D:D

johnamiri
2-5-10, 15:46
Christ I hope we don't sign him . He's a donkey.

GagsHillAFC
2-5-10, 15:48
Christ I hope we don't sign him . He's a donkey.

And majorly inconsistent.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
2-5-10, 15:51
He's a good player, but is injured as much as Torres.

Getafe-My-Lawn!
2-5-10, 15:55
What about Borriello or Llorente?

johnamiri
2-5-10, 15:56
He's a good player, but is injured as much as Torres.

The same player. The one who plays for West Ham? See my original comment. In my opinion he is a donkey.

AdY
2-5-10, 15:57
I really hope we don't sign a target man type player..

Jazzy-J
2-5-10, 15:58
I really hope we don't sign a target man type player..

Harsh. He may not be as mobile as he used to be, but he's a damn good poster.

GagsHillAFC
2-5-10, 16:00
He's scored an og and a goal today.:D

Sunraged
2-5-10, 16:03
I agree with Higgy, he's a very good player however he's also a confidence player and may need too many games to find consistent form at a club where he may not play that many.

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
2-5-10, 16:03
The same player. The one who plays for West Ham? See my original comment. In my opinion he is a donkey.

And as i replied, in my opinion he's a good player.

Mr-Rager
2-5-10, 16:09
He's a confidence player, and he's struggled in a poor West Ham side this season. He looks a completely different player to last season, when the Hammers were safely floating in the middle of the table. Injuries obviously haven't helped his cause either.

johnamiri
2-5-10, 16:11
And as i replied, in my opinion he's a good player.

Is he good enough for us?

TheGhostOfDotTeeVeePast
2-5-10, 16:12
Is he good enough for us?

I wouldn't sign him due to his injuries. If we didn't have N'Gog i'd be happy to have him as back-up.

GagsHillAFC
2-5-10, 16:13
I wouldn't sign him due to his injuries. If we didn't have N'Gog i'd be happy to have him as back-up.

I would have zamora instead all day.

rutilus
2-5-10, 16:14
I would have zamora instead all day.

But this thread isn't about Zamora...the title is a little misleading though! :D

Carlton Facepalmer
2-5-10, 17:10
This thread is so depressing.

It brings about the realisation of where we have sunk in 12 months.

We are debating whether we would prefer Carlton Cole or Bobby Zamora, I need another big swig of Leffe!!!