Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 78 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 2314

Thread: The Gaming Thread

  1. #2071  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    Yes, it's Fantastic!

    *There are offline modes for practice etc
    No offline campaign??
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2072  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8,759
    Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    No offline campaign??
    Na, no campaign/story mode. That's been the biggest complaint against the game but I think it still works. It's simple and fun playing alongside/against other human beings.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #2073  
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    16
    World of Warcraft fan over here
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #2074  
    steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    10,649
    Recently started playing The Witcher 3, phenomenal game, I'm absolutely hooked.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #2075  
    lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    69,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Laul View Post
    World of Warcraft fan over here
    its ok, no one will hold that against you

    ex-wow here. currently plodding diablo
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #2076  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8,759
    Has anyone bought Season Passes and paid for extra DLCs to games? If yes, what game(s)?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #2077  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder87 View Post
    Recently started playing The Witcher 3, phenomenal game, I'm absolutely hooked.
    What about 1 and 2? Necessary?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #2078  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    Has anyone bought Season Passes and paid for extra DLCs to games? If yes, what game(s)?

    DLCs for Mass effect and Alan Wake.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #2079  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    Has anyone bought Season Passes and paid for extra DLCs to games? If yes, what game(s)?
    DLC for Total War games. Some of them are excellent like Peninsular campaign for Napoleon TW. Expansions like Kingdoms for Medieval 2 can add a lot to a game. I recently bought all the extra campaigns for Panzer Corps. You are fighting in the desert, on the eastern front, on the western front, and in Italy!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #2080  
    steviewonder87 is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    10,649
    Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    What about 1 and 2? Necessary?
    I haven't played 1 or 2, they are quite different in style (more traditional linear story/gameplay whereas 3 is full on open world). I will probably just read up on the story I missed out on in the meantime (the games are based on the novels btw), The Witcher 3 is one of the largest games I've ever played (in every sense) so I have plenty of time to catch up before I finish it. There are some ties to past events that I was not aware of but I wouldn't say it has detracted at all from the experience, and you definitely don't need to have played the first 2 to enjoy the game.

    Honestly though, I cannot recommend it highly enough, I am not usually into RPG type games but it is undoubtedly one of the best (perhaps the best) games I've ever played (and I've played quite a lot ) and I don't say that lightly; it's a *********** masterpiece.

    Edit: Not sure how it runs on console though, think the loading times are pretty long and might be some fps dips here and there, also think it's locked to 30fps. Definitely recommend PC for those sexy ultra settings and 60fps, SSD too if you got one to speed up the loading times, you need a pretty decent rig to run it well though, but if you do it's absolutely stunning (probably the best graphics I've seen on any game).
    Last edited by steviewonder87; 18-3-17 at 14:29.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #2081  
    Liverpoolforme is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    30,903
    Anyone on here use Steam?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #2082  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolforme View Post
    Anyone on here use Steam?
    To what extent do you mean Liverpoolforme? I've bought games through it and it sits on my PC and awakens every time I boot-up, but I usually just switch it off when I'm not playing those particular games.

    What specific use did you have in mind?
    Last edited by ever-red-e; 27-3-17 at 00:23. Reason: Changed question
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #2083  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    24,252
    Finally got Fallout 4.
    The Last of Us can take a back seat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #2084  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolforme View Post
    Anyone on here use Steam?
    I got the latest Myst from Steam at the end of last year.

    I had a game console years back, and played the original Myst on that, and it was great. But this latest effort is a bit clunky on my MacBookPro.

    I do get a bit fed up with Steam trying to connect itself to the home site whenever I switch on, though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #2085  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,707
    New Mass Effect 'Andromeda' is out!

    I will wait until the price drops though. It was 89.99 pre-release, now down to 44.99. I reckon in another few weeks it will be 25 quid and I can get as second hand one for a tenner.

    I'm a tight git me.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #2086  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    New Mass Effect 'Andromeda' is out!

    I will wait until the price drops though. It was 89.99 pre-release, now down to 44.99. I reckon in another few weeks it will be 25 quid and I can get as second hand one for a tenner.

    I'm a tight git me.
    90 quid pre-release?

    Christ.

    Not bought a game in little over a year being a new father but I ended up just buying pre-owned games for a year before that almost exclusively....unless there was something I REALLY wanted. Tight gits us.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #2087  
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    16
    I finally picked up the new Dirt game for XB1. It's really awesome but very hard! I crash every 5 seconds, but getting better.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #2088  
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    22
    Just finished the new Mass Effect. Despite the odd bug on occasion I thought it was very good.

    Suprised to see it has so many mediocre reviews.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #2089  
    WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    33,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    90 quid pre-release?

    Christ.

    Not bought a game in little over a year being a new father but I ended up just buying pre-owned games for a year before that almost exclusively....unless there was something I REALLY wanted. Tight gits us.
    I joined a site called 'Boomerang rentals', which has come in handy. Tenner a month and you get a game at a time, but you can keep it for as long as you want or send it back and have another one sent out as much as you want. It's been useful for trying those games that I think I might like but don't want to pay ridiculous money for. Had Resident Evil out the last couple of weeks, sent it back and had Horizon Zero Dawn sent out within a couple of days

    Could be handy for some gamers on here.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #2090  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    23,374
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    I joined a site called 'Boomerang rentals', which has come in handy. Tenner a month and you get a game at a time, but you can keep it for as long as you want or send it back and have another one sent out as much as you want. It's been useful for trying those games that I think I might like but don't want to pay ridiculous money for. Had Resident Evil out the last couple of weeks, sent it back and had Horizon Zero Dawn sent out within a couple of days

    Could be handy for some gamers on here.
    That sounds really really decent actually!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #2091  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    16,231
    Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    I got the latest Myst from Steam at the end of last year.

    I had a game console years back, and played the original Myst on that, and it was great. But this latest effort is a bit clunky on my MacBookPro.

    I do get a bit fed up with Steam trying to connect itself to the home site whenever I switch on, though.
    On pc you can set it up so it doesnt connect by it self somewhere in windows setup
    I am a big fan of steam. Mostly because of two laptops and a stationary gaming comp.
    You have the option where you can login where ever, and just download and play.

    Btw myst is a great game
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #2092  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8,759
    Just saw the leaked Star Wars Battlefront 2 trailer and it looks fantabulous! haven't been this excited over a game in a long while.

    My son and I are playing the Lego Star Wars game and it's great fun!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #2093  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    Just saw the leaked Star Wars Battlefront 2 trailer and it looks fantabulous! haven't been this excited over a game in a long while.

    My son and I are playing the Lego Star Wars game and it's great fun!
    Did you like the first one? If not I wouldn't get your hopes up. EA have a tendancy to want to suck every penny you have to get parts of a game. I anticipate massive hype for this and it will consist of 6 long story missions that you can complete in around 2 hours. It'll just be Battlefield again with added characters. Only way they can make this as good as possible is to bring back an online/offline conquest mode like on the original Battlefront 2. But that might lead to people enjoying the game and not wanting them to buy a different shaped gun for 6.99, or an extra 2 missions for 15.99 and 50 credits to spend in the battlefront online store for skins. Selling people an online game with like 8 modes and 8 maps for 50 was an absolute joke, and then ask for more money for new maps, the state of gaming is at a terrible low.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #2094  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    23,374
    Bought F1 2016 recently mainly due to the good reviews as there hasn't been in my opinion a good F1 game for years and so far it hasn't disappointed. I think it could do more but it has put down a solid base to build upon.

    On a related note does anyone use or have a wheel and pedal setup. I've been looking into this but most people seem to have a dedicated tv, plus chair and frame for the wheel to sit on. This is way more than im looking for. Is it possible to just get a wheel and some pedals for a more casual experience. If so does anyone have any recommendations for that? I use an XBOX one btw. Cheers!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #2095  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
    Bought F1 2016 recently mainly due to the good reviews as there hasn't been in my opinion a good F1 game for years and so far it hasn't disappointed. I think it could do more but it has put down a solid base to build upon.

    On a related note does anyone use or have a wheel and pedal setup. I've been looking into this but most people seem to have a dedicated tv, plus chair and frame for the wheel to sit on. This is way more than im looking for. Is it possible to just get a wheel and some pedals for a more casual experience. If so does anyone have any recommendations for that? I use an XBOX one btw. Cheers!
    I've been thinking about getting 'F1 2016' for a while now (on PS4 though). Would you say it's worth a purchase?

    As for the steering wheel, I've just bought one for my brother's birthday (PS4) and he definitely only has a casual set-up (he hasn't received it yet so I don't know how successful I've been with my selection). However I'd say it's worth shopping around for the right model (I got this one from Amazon for about 70).
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #2096  
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    23,374
    Quote Originally Posted by ever-red-e View Post
    I've been thinking about getting 'F1 2016' for a while now (on PS4 though). Would you say it's worth a purchase?

    As for the steering wheel, I've just bought one for my brother's birthday (PS4) and he definitely only has a casual set-up (he hasn't received it yet so I don't know how successful I've been with my selection). However I'd say it's worth shopping around for the right model (I got this one from Amazon for about 70).
    If you like racing games then 100%. Like I say it can get a lot better but its a solid base to build from and i'm really enjoying it. It gets you hooked as well. There's a lot of tweaking you can do while actually driving the car as well, like adjusting the differential, brake bias and fuel flow etc as well as having to consider managing tyres and strategy which your team will ask at certain points if you want to change etc.

    Its a really good game for an F1 fan - I got mine for around 25 of the XBOX store so I imagine it would be a similar price on PS. Well worth that kind of money.

    Let me know how he gets on with it when he gets it
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #2097  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8,759
    Quote Originally Posted by S_7 View Post
    Did you like the first one? If not I wouldn't get your hopes up. EA have a tendancy to want to suck every penny you have to get parts of a game. I anticipate massive hype for this and it will consist of 6 long story missions that you can complete in around 2 hours. It'll just be Battlefield again with added characters. Only way they can make this as good as possible is to bring back an online/offline conquest mode like on the original Battlefront 2. But that might lead to people enjoying the game and not wanting them to buy a different shaped gun for 6.99, or an extra 2 missions for 15.99 and 50 credits to spend in the battlefront online store for skins. Selling people an online game with like 8 modes and 8 maps for 50 was an absolute joke, and then ask for more money for new maps, the state of gaming is at a terrible low.
    I loved the first one. I bought the Season Pass and the Ultimate Upgrade pack I only paid a tenner for the game so I guess that helped..

    I agree though, charging extra for the levels is a bit of a rip-off but I don't mind paying for the weapons. You can unlock all the weapons for free by playing for them. You can also buy them if your a lazy player like myself (I say lazy but I just don't have the time to play for hours and hours). Having some of the 'maps' behind pay-walls is out of order but you then get the serious players in those levels and they are more stable too (I guess you can see that as a positive).
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #2098  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    I loved the first one. I bought the Season Pass and the Ultimate Upgrade pack I only paid a tenner for the game so I guess that helped..

    I agree though, charging extra for the levels is a bit of a rip-off but I don't mind paying for the weapons. You can unlock all the weapons for free by playing for them. You can also buy them if your a lazy player like myself (I say lazy but I just don't have the time to play for hours and hours). Having some of the 'maps' behind pay-walls is out of order but you then get the serious players in those levels and they are more stable too (I guess you can see that as a positive).
    I just feel like game companies are leaving parts out of games in order to sell them as part of a DLC. Remember when you got a game and it was the full thing. I didn't like it because I've been calling for a new battlefront for years and years, then it comes out for 50 with absolutely no single player modes. Battlefront 2 was amazing because of the story mode, conquest was excellent and I could play it for hours and hours. The recently released battlefront just felt like battlefield with a Star Wars theme, online games are all well and good but they should be half a game. Imagine an online conquest mode where for a week you join a faction (sort of like Mortal Kombat) Republic, rebels, federation or empire and have online battles to capture different planets with constant power struggles.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #2099  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8,759
    Quote Originally Posted by S_7 View Post
    I just feel like game companies are leaving parts out of games in order to sell them as part of a DLC. Remember when you got a game and it was the full thing. I didn't like it because I've been calling for a new battlefront for years and years, then it comes out for 50 with absolutely no single player modes. Battlefront 2 was amazing because of the story mode, conquest was excellent and I could play it for hours and hours. The recently released battlefront just felt like battlefield with a Star Wars theme, online games are all well and good but they should be half a game. Imagine an online conquest mode where for a week you join a faction (sort of like Mortal Kombat) Republic, rebels, federation or empire and have online battles to capture different planets with constant power struggles.
    Yeh, it's out of order. I like the idea of extra DLCs as the year goes on but it should be free! part of the game, it's not like they're not making money.

    The ever changing additions to GTA V Online was quite cool and you don't have to spend any RL money if you don't want either, more of that would be good (I get not all studios make the money Rockstar have but someone like EA/Dice are pretty well off).

    I never played the old Battlefront games and don't really have a lot of time to play so the simple 'pick up and play' for a few hours now and then appealed to me. I know a lot of friends had the same complaints as you so fair enough mate.

    I love the Social aspect of gaming nowadays, I've made some good friends around the globe I can chat to and have a laugh with (usually people who have kicked my ass in some way, I befriend them ) so the big online conquest you suggest sounds like great fun!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #2100  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPool Stark View Post
    Yeh, it's out of order. I like the idea of extra DLCs as the year goes on but it should be free! part of the game, it's not like they're not making money.

    The ever changing additions to GTA V Online was quite cool and you don't have to spend any RL money if you don't want either, more of that would be good (I get not all studios make the money Rockstar have but someone like EA/Dice are pretty well off).

    I never played the old Battlefront games and don't really have a lot of time to play so the simple 'pick up and play' for a few hours now and then appealed to me. I know a lot of friends had the same complaints as you so fair enough mate.

    I love the Social aspect of gaming nowadays, I've made some good friends around the globe I can chat to and have a laugh with (usually people who have kicked my ass in some way, I befriend them ) so the big online conquest you suggest sounds like great fun!
    If you like Star Wars games and ever get the chance to play battlefront 2, play it! The space battles were amazing, you could fly a rebel x-wing from your ship to a Star destroyer and destroy the ship from the inside or even steal tie fighters. The ground battles were similar and they had all the planets from each era. I think I read somewhere that EA were the worst customer service company in the world at one point, this is why I have no hope for this game, I'd like to be proved wrong though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •