Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Dont buy the S*N

I don't understand why some Liverpool fans still read that rag?

Surely they must know the history about Hillsborough between LFC and that rag?

It's embarassing to see. People who read the S** shouldn't have the privilege of calling themselves a Liverpool fan IMO. Educate yourselves.

JFT96.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

I'm going to become pretty unpopular on here after this post, but i'm going to stand up for myself.

I am both a Liverpool supporter AND a reader of the Sun. I am also well aware of the reason the paper is so despised by Liverpool fans. I wouldn't go into Anfield with a copy tucked under my arm, nor do I endorse the paper in any way, but its something to read on the train, and my mother buys it and if its knocking around the house I will pick it up and read it. I won't have people dictating to me what paper I should read, regardless of their views. I won't wave the paper in front of peoples faces but I will read it, like I have been doing for the last 25 or so years. It is cheap and no worse than the other Red Tops, and I like to follow the Dream Team scores.

Before anyone reading this becomes incensed, please be aware that I have my own personal issues with the paper in question. Back in 1985 there was a bus crash in Germany in which half of the 40 odd passengers, mostly RAF bandsmen, were killed. One of the people who died was my father. I was 6 at the time. In the following days the press were all over the accident, the phone was ringing constantly and journalists from various papers converged on RAF Rheindahlen, which is where I lived. I even went to school the following day, and there was press at the school. It was all rather unsettling. The press coverage in the wake of the accident was dominating all the headlines, but lots of it was pretty innaccurate, particularly in The Sun, but the same could be said of other papers too. I remember my mother being pretty upset by it all at the time. In the years after I went back through some of the cuttings and thought 'how could they print that, its just so wide of the mark', but I still read the paper because I don't wish to be consumed by anger anymore, I just want to be entertained for a few minutes while I eat my breakfast for example.

I accept though that in the case of the Hillsborough tragedy there is an on going quest for justice, and that peoples hatred towards the paper is still raw. It was easier for me to move on.

However I do agree wholeheartedly that Kelvin McKenzie is an idiot, and his column is very poor reading material. I could write a better column myself.

raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    Sorry to hear about your Dad.
    But that paper is total filth no LFC supporter would dream of reading that rubbish.

You say "It is cheap and no worse that other Red Tops"
    Is that how you select your morning paper by how much it costs?
    Yes it is worse that other papers it destroys lives daily.
    It's something to read on the train.................Try The Dandy or The Beano both cheap comics that don't ruin peoples lives.
    Do not buy that filth.

Just spotted on your post that you say "Kelvin McKenzie column" is that total ****** still working for them i thought he got sack years ago....................That man is the scum beneath my shoe
    Last edited by raybarnes; 14-2-11 at 17:01.

raybarnes is online now Football Discussion Football Poster of the Season 2013-14
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kelvin McKenzie is a total scumbag
    Murdoch is Scum

http://dontbuythesun.co.uk/site/

Never by that filthy Rag

******* embarrassing that anyone who claims to be a red would try and legitimise his reasons for buying that gutter press, that post needs binning mods. ****.

If you'd sell your conscience for the sake of twenty pence then you've never been a ******* red.

Some still buy it............Beggars belief

Quote Originally Posted by raybarnes View Post
    Some still buy it............Beggars belief
    ******* mate.

Why any **** would read the maggie loving paper without the added fact of what they said about Hillsborough is beyond me.

You have to be ******* thick to find it entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by ripe17 View Post
    I'm going to become pretty unpopular on here after this post, but i'm going to stand up for myself.

I am both a Liverpool supporter AND a reader of the Sun. I am also well aware of the reason the paper is so despised by Liverpool fans. I wouldn't go into Anfield with a copy tucked under my arm, nor do I endorse the paper in any way, but its something to read on the train, and my mother buys it and if its knocking around the house I will pick it up and read it. I won't have people dictating to me what paper I should read, regardless of their views. I won't wave the paper in front of peoples faces but I will read it, like I have been doing for the last 25 or so years. It is cheap and no worse than the other Red Tops, and I like to follow the Dream Team scores.

Before anyone reading this becomes incensed, please be aware that I have my own personal issues with the paper in question. Back in 1985 there was a bus crash in Germany in which half of the 40 odd passengers, mostly RAF bandsmen, were killed. One of the people who died was my father. I was 6 at the time. In the following days the press were all over the accident, the phone was ringing constantly and journalists from various papers converged on RAF Rheindahlen, which is where I lived. I even went to school the following day, and there was press at the school. It was all rather unsettling. The press coverage in the wake of the accident was dominating all the headlines, but lots of it was pretty innaccurate, particularly in The Sun, but the same could be said of other papers too. I remember my mother being pretty upset by it all at the time. In the years after I went back through some of the cuttings and thought 'how could they print that, its just so wide of the mark', but I still read the paper because I don't wish to be consumed by anger anymore, I just want to be entertained for a few minutes while I eat my breakfast for example.

I accept though that in the case of the Hillsborough tragedy there is an on going quest for justice, and that peoples hatred towards the paper is still raw. It was easier for me to move on.

However I do agree wholeheartedly that Kelvin McKenzie is an idiot, and his column is very poor reading material. I could write a better column myself.
    Sorry to hear about your dad, but you have twice as much reason to not buy or read that gutter rag! You need to seriously rethink ever reading that rag again!

Well surley you have twice as many reasons as to not to buy it,no L'pool fan should be buying that paper ever!

Dont buy that filthy rag

I didn't realise kelvin mckenzie was still involved with that filthy rag, he's no respect whatsover, can't beleive some shops in liverpool even sell it!

rex-hunt is offline Most Intelligent Poster of the year

Principles. Nobody is asking you to start selling the rag, but I honestly cannot believe you can even bring yourself to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by gaziano View Post
    I didn't realise kelvin mckenzie was still involved with that filthy rag, he's no respect whatsover, can't beleive some shops in liverpool even sell it!
    Pure Greed.

Scum paper

FamousInternationale is offline Directors Box
    Toilet paper. There's nothing to read in it anyway, it's mostly pictures and tool-enlargement ads. Absolute trash.

I'd sooner stick with my small "Tool"
    Last edited by raybarnes; 11-3-11 at 14:54.

The boycott dates back to 1989 when, in the aftermath of the Hillsborough disaster, The Sun published a series of lies about Liverpool fans under the headline 'The Truth'.

Editor of the time Kelvin MacKenzie, who is still a columnist for The Sun, refuses to admit he did anything wrong by publishing the damaging allegations which included unfounded claims of fans stealing from, and urinating, on dead bodies.

The story was not only extremely distressing for the families of the deceased, and fans attending the game on April 15th, it also tarnished the image of the city of Liverpool - and Liverpool supporters - and hindered the fight for justice for the 96 people that died at the disaster by incorrectly influencing perceptions of what happened that fateful day.

Liverpool fan Stuart Goodwin explained that the idea for the blimp was born when it became clear that there was a growing number of fans who were unaware of the boycott, be that because of age, ignorance or location.

He said: "Around this time last year there were obviously a lot of discussions about the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough, and inevitably when talking about that time in history, there's always the slightly nasty footnote of The Sun and 'that' headline.

"I remember talking with a number of friends and fellow fans about the boycott, and it was clear from descriptions of overheard conversations about Sun stories in the pub, Suns in back pockets on the way to the game, Suns on the Kop even, that the Don't Buy The Sun campaign needed a little bolstering.

"Don't get me wrong - as boycotts go there's no question in my mind that it's as strong as you will see about anything, anywhere. But I'm a firm believer in dealing with cracks when they start to show, not when they're suddenly gaping wide, and with an ever-growing, ever-broadening match-going fanbase coming from far and wide to Anfield, there's a very definite need for education on the subject.

"You have fans coming to the ground that know how many titles we've won, can name most of the reserve team, and can rattle off a perfectly passable rendition of Fields Of Anfield Road, but there's a lot more to our club than the Wikipedia stats and lyrics learned from watching a YouTube clip. If you're in the club, you need to know its history on AND off the pitch, and far too many sadly don't.

"Coupled with this is the fact that 20 years on there's a generation of local youngsters that maybe haven't had the history passed down, so I felt something was needed that would encourage kids to ask questions, and also to remind parents, aunts and uncles to have those kinds of conversations."

So the need to educate about the Sun boycott was identified, but why a blimp?

Stuart went on: "They've always struck me as the kind of thing that turn heads, and make people smile, and the message and the medium just seemed to be a perfect fit. Unfortunately though, it was an idea far too expensive and complicated to think too seriously about in time for the 20th anniversary, so that was that, and to be honest I pretty much forgot I'd ever mentioned it.

"A few months later I saw a blimp advertising a car showroom on my way to work, and the idea came back to me. First thing I did when I got in was jump on to the RAOTL forum and started a thread raising the idea again. Feedback was great, and a couple of people were sufficiently taken with it that they threw a tenner each into the pot. Within a day though, the thread had died away and it was back to being one of those internet ideas like all those lost flag and banner designs that get talked about for an hour and never get spoken of again.

"At this point I'd read around and got quotes, and it looked like we were talking about 1,500-2,000 for the blimp alone, quite before you'd looked at anything else such as mooring rope, banners and helium. However, somebody pointed out an eBay auction where a supplier was selling second hand blimps for a fraction of the price of a new one, and suddenly it felt doable.

"I got in touch with the guy selling it, and as luck would have it he told me that he had a slightly bigger one which he was also looking to sell that had only ever been flown for two days. White with red fins - perfect. It was occurring to me that the idea was going to stay an idea unless I actually made a demonstration that I was serious, so I went way into my overdraft and bought it.

"As soon as I put the pics of the uninflated, very limp-looking blimp up on the forum, the response was absolutely phenomenal. I'd set up a Paypal account by this point and money absolutely poured in. Within a week of the pictures going up there was over 800 in the blimp kitty, and contributions continued to come in from the UK, Spain, Australia and the US. To date the blimp fund has totalled over 1,500, and not just from Liverpool supporters - a couple of Everton fans and a Newcastle fan have also thrown in."

With a successful first flight now under its belt - "I've never felt as proud as I did when I first took my seat in the Annie Road and saw the words 'Don't Buy The Sun' bobbing over the Kop" - Stuart is co-ordinating the blimp's next outing.

He added: "While its main use is intended to be to spread the Don't Buy The Sun message, it's now envisaged to be available for both the Hillsborough Justice Campaign and Spirit of Shankly for use with any other campaigns they have in mind.

"From its first flight it was clear just how much of a head-turner it is, and in the coming months I'm sure you'll see it broadcasting other messages. It's also been suggested that we include it in parades in and around the city, which we'll definitely look at.

"At the moment we're limited to flying it at daytime home matches, but by next season we'll look at adding lights which will allow it to go up for evening kick-offs as well. The dream scenario is that it will eventually fly at every home game, but this will depend completely on keeping the kitty topped up so that we can afford the helium it runs on."

The blimps costs around 200 per flight for helium and fan donations to keep the blimp flying are welcomed. They can be made via Paypal to the address: stu@corkyball.co.uk

Stuart said: "If people want to send by any other method, or make any comments or suggestions about the blimp, feel free to email me on that address. Volunteers to help on flight days are also very, very welcome, so keep an eye on the various forums to see when it will next be up in the sky. People will have to supervise the blimp during the match, so we'll always be looking for people willing to sacrifice going to the match to help in that regard."

For pictures of the blimp, see here: http://www.photoshelter.com/c/propag...00s6B6nNR.pXQ/

Kelvin McKenzie is a total scumbag
    Murdoch is Scum

http://dontbuythesun.co.uk/site/

Never by that filthy Rag

Arent the Hillsborough Family Support Group trying to have 96 streets named after each of the victims?

Quote Originally Posted by rex-hunt View Post
    Principles. Nobody is asking you to start selling the rag, but I honestly cannot believe you can even bring yourself to read it.
    Exactly. The *** wouldn't even be a newspaper I'd want to read even if they hadn't published what they did. I had to look at some articles they'd printed (for my media a-level so I had no choice) and it was laughable the way they put things.

Speaking of which. Everyone should buy this song 'Liar, Liar, don't buy the Sun'

All profits go to HFSG etc:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/lia...65?i=427198542

Lets get it in the charts!

Justice for the 96

Quote Originally Posted by CBB27 View Post
    Speaking of which. Everyone should buy this song 'Liar, Liar, don't buy the Sun'

All profits go to HFSG etc:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/lia...65?i=427198542

Lets get it in the charts!

Justice for the 96
    And its a great song as well,

Anybody that can should buy it for a great cause

Quote Originally Posted by Rixsta View Post
    I don't understand why some Liverpool fans still read that rag?

Surely they must know the history about Hillsborough between LFC and that rag?

It's embarassing to see. People who read the S** shouldn't have the privilege of calling themselves a Liverpool fan IMO. Educate yourselves.

JFT96.
    I don't understand why anyone ever reads or read it, it's just a rubbish tabloid and good tabloids are already really **** as it is.

Every LFC is know in my family are now cancelling there Sky, everyone will follow because Ratboy is now part of the slimey setup.

Don't Buy the S*N!

And Don't buy Sky Sports!

Theres loads of streams on the internet you can use to watch any football or just go the pub or watch it at your mates.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanks91k View Post
    Every LFC is know in my family are now cancelling there Sky, everyone will follow because Ratboy is now part of the slimey setup.

Don't Buy the S*N!

Theres loads of streams on the internet you can use to watch any football or just go the pub or watch it at your mates.
    Or just go to Anfield

Or just go to Anfield
    Oh my how could I forget the best one, I'am ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanks91k View Post

Don't Buy the S*N!

There are ways of getting Sky Sports without letting Murdoch get a penny of your cash
    At least thats what i'm told?

Sorry to hear about your father.

It doesn't justify buying that rag, the hatred towards the S*n will never go away even after the family's receive the justice they deserve.

They printed lies about the fans of this club and disrespected the fans that died, these type of wounds will never heal.

By buying the S*n all you are doing is funding a bunch of lier's so they can write more rubbish that will cause others hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by redcog View Post
    Sorry to hear about your father.

It doesn't justify buying that rag, the hatred towards the S*n will never go away even after the family's receive the justice they deserve.

They printed lies about the fans of this club and disrespected the fans that died, these type of wounds will never heal.

By buying the S*n all you are doing is funding a bunch of lier's so they can write more rubbish that will cause others hurt.
    True words
    Rep for you

True words
    Rep for you

Thank you Mr Barnes,

Keep up the good work.