Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Christmas Truce: Germany-3 Britain-2

Liverpoolforme is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tweepie View Post
    Actually, after the Christmas truce many platoons got moved to a different section of the front precisely because those in authority had the same 'fears'. How can you kill your enemy if he is your friend?

I know much is made in Britain these days about respecting the situation the troops out in Afghanistan are going through, but when you put into perspective what these millions of men and boys went through nearly a century ago it just does not compare.

The closer we get to the centenary of the start of WW1, the more I feel we should all educate ourselves about it. God forbid that humankind goes through that madness again.
    Ahhh right never knew that....

Indeed the conditions were dreadful and at least the people in Afghanistan are trained soldiers who are there by choice and know what there in for.

Back then you didn't get a choice and you were more then likely not going to survive....:sad:
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Kloppstachio is online now Academy prospect
    I've heard of 'The Guns of August' when I was in University. I never read it though. I think I just saw the title mentioned in the context of other reading I may have done.

I've never heard of 'White War' it would be interesting to read about the war from the Italian perspecitive. Theirs is an interesting story, given that they changed sides in 1915.

A book I read last year, that in fact inspired me to write this article was a book about the Irish soldiers who fought in the war.
    Called 'A Coward if I return, A hero If I fall' I found it full of some inspiring and heartwrenching stories.
    A book I believe all Irish people should read, especially those who still like to conveniently ignore those thousands who suffered in the trenches in favour of remembering those who fought their own cause closer to home at the same time.
    GoA is more of a pop tome but the White War is poignant because it was really the first time I'd read of the Austria-Hungarian side's stories from the Italian front. As forgotten and lost in history as the Southern front was, the human toll was gargantuan. But there were some wonderful anecdotes in the book and some background to the Italian involvement that I honestly was only peripherally aware of.

The book that I'm still reading several months since I bought it is 1918: A Very British Victory. Its an exhaustively detailed account of the last year of the war on the British sector of the Western front. It interestingly and controversially ascribes the final victories on the Western Front to the British command on the Western front and the Empire for first blunting the force of the early 1918 German offensives and then overrunning the German lines with the All-Arms strategy of much maligned General Douglas "The Butcher of the Somme" Haig.

As much as the viewpoint makes tactical sense and I love the attention to detail and anecdotes Peter Hart's included, perhaps I'm just clouded by my 21st Century thinking in having some disdain for Haig for showing severe disregard for the lives of his men; costing over 2 million casualties by the time his command and the war was done.

The British expeditionary forces in France and the Middle East consisted of soldiers from Canada to ANZAC to the undivided India - a true global army.

Thanks for the book recommendation, its next on my war books list as soon as I get past Remembrance Day 1918 on my current book.
    Last edited by Kloppstachio; 17-12-11 at 06:54. Reason: Thanks for the book recommendation!

tweepie is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushtachio View Post

Thanks for the book recommendation, its next on my war books list as soon as I get past Remembrance Day 1918 on my current book.
    Hopefully if you get to read it, you'll like it.

AND THE WIND BLOWS RIGHT THROUGH YOU,ITS NO PLACE FOR THE OLD.

MY OTHER FAVORITE XMAS BIT.

Kenny v beckenbaur......

Joyeux Noel just starting on BBC2 now.

Wow, I can't believe it's over two years since I wrote this.

Bump for Christmas.
    YNWA

A little seasonal bump to remember those who 99 years ago saw such horrors we can only hope the world will never witness again but put all conflict aside for a small time to focus on football.

YNWA
    YNWA

Socratease is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    A superb OP tweepie, Merry Christmas!
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates.

Just read through this thread for the first time. A book I would recommend is 'through German eyes' by Christopher Duffy. It tells the story of the British and Imperial armies on the Somme from German archives, interviews and military records. It's fascinating to read the history in this way. Some fascinating facts such as the Germans referring to a foxhole as an 'Englischernest'. Summary is the Germans admired our equipment but not out tactics, respected our bravery but not our leadership or command structure which in their assessment was too rigid, respected our ability to dig fast, and saw an awful lot in common with their enemy. A good read.

Incredible courage and honor shown by all involved, if the generals and politicians had followed their lead millions of lives would have been saved, and the second world war might never have happened.

The closer we get to the centenary of the start of WW1, the more I feel we should all educate ourselves about it. God forbid that humankind goes through that madness again.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by ALLRED64 View Post
    Incredible courage and honor shown by all involved, if the generals and politicians had followed their lead millions of lives would have been saved, and the second world war might never have happened.
    Politicians and diapers are the same.
    You need to often change them and for the same reason.

FistofRage is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by -Joey- View Post
    Politicians and diapers are the same.
    You need to often change them and for the same reason.

My way to honour The Christmas Day Truce is with this music video, link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ErrZ-ipoE

Merry Festive Time everyone on the forum with family and friends at this time of year.

All the best

Elfrates aka Derrick :hohoho::hohoho:
    Last edited by 10Elfrates; 26-12-16 at 13:22.
    Mourinho's the special one, Klopp's the normal one, I am the weird one!

Stevie's Sissi is offline Armchair supporter
    Though late, but never too late, we wish you a year full of lovely moments always. I love you Vater and I miss you so much. I'm tired now :'( Need your support..
    Neema Seegoolam Mauritius 51604