Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 262 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Sehwag the great flat track bully.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Phuzz View Post
    When did Sehwag steal that title from Summeraweera and Inzamam?

Quote Originally Posted by manbat22 View Post
    you seemed very optimistic yesterday

where's mashrafe mortaza?
    Yeah, I was. And I still am, Tamim to score a triple century!

Mash was injured and is on stand-by. Shafiul is so inconsistent, he seems so good at times.

Quote Originally Posted by banglared View Post

Mash was injured and is on stand-by. Shafiul is so inconsistent, he seems so good at times.

ZonalMarked is online now Community Moderator
    reported for creating a thread that already exists

really ZM?

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=234742
    Apologies Manbat, threads merged.

BTW, SA is going to win it. Now that the chokers have gone (well most if them) we have a chance. Also, it's the first time we go in as underdogs.

Anyway, if SA are chokers, then what would that make India and Pakistan? Since SA have been better that both of them over the last 3 world cups. It would just make them rubbish I suppose Just joking.

Afraid I don't agree with that..he's scored centuries everywhere in the world including Australia and South Africa. One of the best test innings by an Indian in Australia was his 195 at Perth in 3 sessions against a great Aussie bowling attack in 2004. It's the second best test century by an Indian in Australia, second only to Sachin's 119 at Perth in 1992 at 19 yrs of age.

There are loads of Indian batsmen you can call a flat track bully, but Sehwag ain't one of them.

changeaname is online now Academy prospect
    wonder how long it will be before the western teams are all out with diarrhea

Quote Originally Posted by vis1984 View Post
    Afraid I don't agree with that..he's scored centuries everywhere in the world including Australia and South Africa. One of the best test innings by an Indian in Australia was his 195 at Perth in 3 sessions against a great Aussie bowling attack in 2004. It's the second best test century by an Indian in Australia, second only to Sachin's 119 at Perth in 1992 at 19 yrs of age.

There are loads of Indian batsmen you can call a flat track bully, but Sehwag ain't one of them.
    Most of his notable innings have come in Asia and on flat tracks. Put him on a seaming green top and he won't last very long.

India off to a winning start, looks like it was a good game - might catch the highlights later on

why is everyone saying australia don't have a chance?

Most of his notable innings have come in Asia and on flat tracks. Put him on a seaming green top and he won't last very long.
    How many batsmen in the world play well on seaming tracks? I was looking through his stats just now and he's played only 8 tests in total in England and New Zealand, the two countries I consider where seaming wickets are common. He doesn't have a great average in these 8 tests but I wouldn't judge him on these 8 tests alone surely.

He's played 8 tests in Australia averaging 60 and I would say that it's not bad for a man who can't play on seaming and bouncing tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by changeaname View Post
    why is everyone saying australia don't have a chance?
    It's because this is their weakest team in ages to feature in a WC and other teams have improved while their squad has declined. Plus, they are playing in the sub continent and they were never great players of spin and more importantly, they don't have a Warne in their team to take advantage of the conditions.

Bnaglared, what happened to Ashraful? I tuned in late to watch the game and was surprised to learn that he wasn't playing. Is he injured?

Have you not tuned in for the last 3 years? He's ****. Anyway, our top 6 batted quite well today.

Have you not tuned in for the last 3 years? He's ****. Anyway, our top 6 batted quite well today.
    Isn't that being a little too harsh? I thought he was the most talented batsman of his generation when he came on to the scene at the very beginning. His career seems to have fallen away after that but I haven't tracked his progress much lately.

Shakib has lately been the best player for you guys imo. Very impressed by his recent performances especially.

Bangladesh will definitely give the Aussies and the English a good run for the money and I'm tipping them to beat England who have struggled after the impressive Ashes campaign.
    Last edited by pete752; 19-2-11 at 18:01.

Bangladesh won't be easy to beat. England and West Indies need to be careful

Quote Originally Posted by ZonalMarked View Post
    Apologies Manbat, threads merged.

BTW, SA is going to win it. Now that the chokers have gone (well most if them) we have a chance. Also, it's the first time we go in as underdogs.

Anyway, if SA are chokers, then what would that make India and Pakistan? Since SA have been better that both of them over the last 3 world cups. It would just make them rubbish I suppose Just joking.
    well i would certainly concur that india are rubbish

and i don't think you are underdogs,you are the favourites along with india and sri lanka

it's okay about the thread...you can change the name of the thread to yours since it was more eye catching

How many batsmen in the world play well on seaming tracks? I was looking through his stats just now and he's played only 8 tests in total in England and New Zealand, the two countries I consider where seaming wickets are common. He doesn't have a great average in these 8 tests but I wouldn't judge him on these 8 tests alone surely.

He's played 8 tests in Australia averaging 60 and I would say that it's not bad for a man who can't play on seaming and bouncing tracks.
    the australian tracks are not what they used to be...yes he has a good record in australia but and i may be wrong,in one of the series australia had a second string bowling attack and i clearly remember the pitches being quite docile

sehwag also has a poor record in south africa,one of the few countries where the pitches are bowler friendly

to give credit where it's due,sehwag has brilliant hand and eye coordination and has good shot selection but his faulty technique will invariably lead him to failure in seaming conditions as can be seen from his record

having said that the way cricket is changing,bowler friendly pitches are now a rarity so it is very likely that even some of the better batsmen in terms of technique will still struggle on difficult conditions because they are not used to them

Damn, all our group games are on weekdays... I won't get to watch any of them, apart from half of one of them, the only day match (I'll have to wake up at 0400 though).

Damn, all our group games are on weekdays... I won't get to watch any of them, apart from half of one of them, the only day match (I'll have to wake up at 0400 though).
    you conceded too many today

could've won on a different day

I'm not really that happy with our batsmen either TBH... we needed to score as many as possible, but our run-rate in the last 10 overs was ****. Powerplay was taken too late and then the last 5 overs were played with no intent. If we go out through NRR, then I know who I'll be blaming (apart from the bowlers).

I'm not really that happy with our batsmen either TBH... we needed to score as many as possible, but our run-rate in the last 10 overs was ****. Powerplay was taken too late and then the last 5 overs were played with no intent. If we go out through NRR, then I know who I'll be blaming (apart from the bowlers).
    you should be targeting the windies

well i would certainly concur that india are rubbish

and i don't think you are underdogs,you are the favourites along with india and sri lanka

it's okay about the thread...you can change the name of the thread to yours since it was more eye catching

the australian tracks are not what they used to be...yes he has a good record in australia but and i may be wrong,in one of the series australia had a second string bowling attack and i clearly remember the pitches being quite docile

sehwag also has a poor record in south africa,one of the few countries where the pitches are bowler friendly

to give credit where it's due,sehwag has brilliant hand and eye coordination and has good shot selection but his faulty technique will invariably lead him to failure in seaming conditions as can be seen from his record

having said that the way cricket is changing,bowler friendly pitches are now a rarity so it is very likely that even some of the better batsmen in terms of technique will still struggle on difficult conditions because they are not used to them
    My only concern about SA's team is the lack of a clean hitter towards the end of an innings, which will put more pressure on the top order. Not sure if you heard of him, but Pakistani spinner Imran Tahir is in the SA squad, could be a surprize package.

My only concern about SA's team is the lack of a clean hitter towards the end of an innings, which will put more pressure on the top order. Not sure if you heard of him, but Pakistani spinner Imran Tahir is in the SA squad, could be a surprize package.
    i have heard but not seen him play

is he any good?

i thought botha was your first choice spinner

i have heard but not seen him play

is he any good?

i thought botha was your first choice spinner
    Tahir has been taking far more wickets domestically than Botha has ever taken, he has done quite well at county cricket as well apparently.

Botha is first choice, only because we don't have many spinners to brag about. I would rather have Piyush Chawla has a first choice (that's saying a lot).

Regarding a comment you made earlier about pitches in SA being bowler friendly, it couldn't be further from the truth mate. The only pitched which are bowler friendly are Durban and Port Elizabeth. The reason why Asian teams struggle here is because the pitches are more quicker and flatter, more suited for fast bowlers. Asian teams struggle as a result.

It is a bit unfair on Sehwag to be called flat track bully.

There are lots of 'greats' from Asia like Ganguly, Inzamam, Jayawardene, Jayasuriya, Mohd Yousuf who dont have similar / worse record in Australia and South Africa (two of the best teams of last decade). Not every batsman can play everywhere. Even the great Ponting struggles a bit in sub continent

most of the canadian team are actually indian, some of these early games are so crap, especially the kenya vs kiwis one.

Tahir has been taking far more wickets domestically than Botha has ever taken, he has done quite well at county cricket as well apparently.

Botha is first choice, only because we don't have many spinners to brag about. I would rather have Piyush Chawla has a first choice (that's saying a lot).

Regarding a comment you made earlier about pitches in SA being bowler friendly, it couldn't be further from the truth mate. The only pitched which are bowler friendly are Durban and Port Elizabeth. The reason why Asian teams struggle here is because the pitches are more quicker and flatter, more suited for fast bowlers. Asian teams struggle as a result.
    i did say that now pitches all round the world are becoming flatter and batsmen friendly. it may have something to do with ICC and their idea of bringing in crowds by having high scoring matches but personally i would much rather watch a 250 chase than a 320 chase since the former will be a much more balanced contest between bat and ball

bowler friendly wickets in my opinion could be of 4 major types. they may contain one or more of the following
    1.bounce
    2.lateral movement
    3.quickness
    4.turn

even if pitches there have become flatter they are still as compared to pitches in the sub continent more conducive to bowling and if you can have 2-3 grounds out of say around 10 which support the quicks, then thats not bad going

ideally,a pitch should be sporting i.e. helps fast bowlers the first couple of days,eases out for the batmen after that and breaks up for the spinners during the last day or two. however this is ideal

as for botha,i wasn't too impressed with him when i saw him the first time but he has improved and is hard to score and effective in limited overs cricket as he can bat as well. not saying he is better than tahir since i've not seen him to make a comparison

Quote Originally Posted by changeaname View Post
    most of the canadian team are actually indian, some of these early games are so crap, especially the kenya vs kiwis one.
    some here might not agree but i am of the opinion that the minnows should not play the world cup

Tahir was quality for Hampshire a few seasons ago.

Sri Lanka are owning, fantastic partnership.

i did say that now pitches all round the world are becoming flatter and batsmen friendly. it may have something to do with ICC and their idea of bringing in crowds by having high scoring matches but personally i would much rather watch a 250 chase than a 320 chase since the former will be a much more balanced contest between bat and ball

bowler friendly wickets in my opinion could be of 4 major types. they may contain one or more of the following
    1.bounce
    2.lateral movement
    3.quickness
    4.turn

even if pitches there have become flatter they are still as compared to pitches in the sub continent more conducive to bowling and if you can have 2-3 grounds out of say around 10 which support the quicks, then thats not bad going

ideally,a pitch should be sporting i.e. helps fast bowlers the first couple of days,eases out for the batmen after that and breaks up for the spinners during the last day or two. however this is ideal

as for botha,i wasn't too impressed with him when i saw him the first time but he has improved and is hard to score and effective in limited overs cricket as he can bat as well. not saying he is better than tahir since i've not seen him to make a comparison

some here might not agree but i am of the opinion that the minnows should not play the world cup
    I agree that minnow nations should not be playing in the WC but ICC should take a good hard look at the way it functions. There are about 10 countries where cricket is generally followed well and about 3-4 countries in the sub continent where people are crazy about the sport. Other sports are slowly but surely catching up even in these countries and the ICC would do well to find some way to popularize cricket in other places.

The minnow nations should be encouraged to have proper infrastructure in the first place and get up to scratch in terms of playing standards before being given a crack at the biggest tournament. At the same time, the ICC should be organizing some regular cricket schedule for the minnows and try to encourage them to improve their standard by playing amongst themselves.

I agree that minnow nations should not be playing in the WC but ICC should take a good hard look at the way it functions. There are about 10 countries where cricket is generally followed well and about 3-4 countries in the sub continent where people are crazy about the sport. Other sports are slowly but surely catching up even in these countries and the ICC would do well to find some way to popularize cricket in other places.

The minnow nations should be encouraged to have proper infrastructure in the first place and get up to scratch in terms of playing standards before being given a crack at the biggest tournament. At the same time, the ICC should be organizing some regular cricket schedule for the minnows and try to encourage them to improve their standard by playing amongst themselves.
    precisely what i had in mind

the icc could make it compulsory for the test playing nations to play a certain number of matches against the minnows or something to this effect so they get regular exposure instead of being thrust into the world cup where heavy defeats is not likely to achieve anything

having a bigger tournament(in terms of teams) will not automatically make it a bigger or popular sport.it may rake in the moolah but the quality will suffer