Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    20 years ago yes I would, it's also why I didn't enjoy Predator 2 as much as Arnie was that franchise, but times change and Arnie isn't the badass he used to be, Terminator Genysis is ample proof of that

I have also gone through 5 soon to be 6 different Star Trek TV shows, as well as 13 movies with more also to come, So I'm not averse to change as long as they get the right people in.
    Do you mean 20 days ago?

Predator without Arnie is like Game of Thrones without the Lanisters.
    Or have you just changed your stance to fit this argumemt?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
    You wouldn't object to Predator without Arnie?
    Isn't Predator (I) the only Arnie Predator film. Yes AvP was panned by critics and audiences Predator II with Glover and Busey received 25% and 44% on rotten tomatoes.

Ganymede is online now Prefers one thread per page
    Poppycock.
    I hated that Master in Tennant's last season.

Do you mean 20 days ago?

Or have you changed you just stance to fit this argumemt?
    not at all, as I pointed out then and now Arnie was that franchise, but Predator came out 30 years ago, and Arnie also got old, that doesn't mean they can't remake it though.

Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Isn't Predator (I) the only Arnie Predator film. Yes AvP was panned by critics and audiences Predator II with Glover and Busey received 25% and 44% on rotten tomatoes.
    yes he is, and it's why I never enjoyed the movies that came after anywhere near as much as the original Predator with Arnie, Carl Weathers, Jesse Ventura and the others.

not at all, as I pointed out then and now Arnie was that franchise, but Predator came out 30 years ago, and Arnie also got old, that doesn't mean they can't remake it though.
    You strongly implied it would be worse for the cast change. Yet now you say it would be fine with a female lead. How can both be true?

You strongly implied it would be worse for the cast change. Yet now you say it would be fine with a female lead. How can both be true?
    Predator 2 was worse for the change, and both AVP movies were even worse still, but more to do with being crap movies than having Arnie back in them, he has also made plenty of turkeys himself remember.

If they can find a female lead like Sigourney Weaver was for the Alien franchise then I see no problem at all.

Predator 2 was worse for the change, and both AVP movies were even worse still, but more to do with being crap movies than having Arnie back in them, he has also made plenty of turkeys himself remember.

If they can find a female lead like Sigourney Weaver was for the Alien franchise then I see no problem at all.
    You cant compare the roles.
    One was a bad ass the other scared as hell

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    You cant compare the roles.
    One was a bad ass the other scared as hell
    in the first Alien yes, but that soon changed.

I don't know, and I suspect it depends how the process worked: did they line up all possible candidates including women, or did they decide it would be a woman and then choose candidates?
    They'd already decided the next Doctor would be female.

KoppityKloppity is online now Academy prospect
    yes he is, and it's why I never enjoyed the movies that came after anywhere near as much as the original Predator with Arnie, Carl Weathers, Jesse Ventura and the others.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqDwqdSF6Ec

In terms of Jodie becoming the Doctor I think Colin Baker says it the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_BNSiKcdws

Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    In terms of Jodie becoming the Doctor I think Colin Baker says it the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_BNSiKcdws
    Colin Baker‏Verified account @SawbonesHex 4h4 hours ago
    Change my dears and not a moment too soon - she IS the Doctor whether you like it or not!

Change my dears and not a moment too soon - she IS the Doctor whether you like it or not!
    Saw that don't know if he was knowingly quoting himself.

Peter Davison didn't believe a female Doctor was appropriate. This is due to in his mind that Gallifreans will retain their gender throughout their regenerations.

He also felt that the modern take of an unsure Dr or he needed to be cajoled to do the right thing with a strong female companion but for the first female Dr to be unsure and if they keep the balance and the male companion is the strong character we may have it look like it was taking a step backwards.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/d...agrees-5065471

It's been carp for years, pretty much ended with Sylvester McCoy.

That they feel they need to do this just shows a lack of respect for the character, but the media have been all over this and other things trying to "balance it up" as if kids could only watch something because he is now a she, or because they've got a black Dr Who or whatever. Dr Who is a man, just like Bridget Jones is a woman and like Harry Potter is a boy, problem with TV and films is now what they can do is not so limited so they do what they don't need to. There's nothing chauvinist about the Dr being male, it didn't need changing but as I say my objection is not on the grounds of watch/don't watch as that won't be changing, it's the fact they decided to bring him back, make it carp and now changing the fundamentals of the character.

Might as well morph him into a dalek, or a swamp monster, or a dogturd. I wish they'd brought in something time travelling but maybe just similar but not Dr Who.

#RIPDrWho
    People will believe what they want to believe

Ah it's a cunning plan by the BBC to pay Dr Who less than her male counterparts...........

Oh and the TARDIS was long overdue a clean Maybe she'll put in some nice curtains, a few flowers around the place and a nice rug. And put in a new kitchen, perhaps have a garden outside.......... and will her doctorate now become honorary....... ?!?!

(all above comments very much tongue in cheek and mocking the BBC reTARDis' not women)
    People will believe what they want to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
    They'd already decided the next Doctor would be female.
    Then the question is why did they make that decision? It can't have been because Whittaker was the best candidate because they hadn't begun thinking of candidates.

Its been getting steadily worse for years, so it can't be any worse with this.

Capaldi I love but he didn't quite work as the Doctor for me, Tennant I didn't really like, Matt Smith was better but its become one of those things I zone in and out of and this series I lost interest all too quickly

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarknessIsCalling View Post
    It's been carp for years, pretty much ended with Sylvester McCoy.

That they feel they need to do this just shows a lack of respect for the character, but the media have been all over this and other things trying to "balance it up" as if kids could only watch something because he is now a she, or because they've got a black Dr Who or whatever. Dr Who is a man, just like Bridget Jones is a woman and like Harry Potter is a boy, problem with TV and films is now what they can do is not so limited so they do what they don't need to. There's nothing chauvinist about the Dr being male, it didn't need changing but as I say my objection is not on the grounds of watch/don't watch as that won't be changing, it's the fact they decided to bring him back, make it carp and now changing the fundamentals of the character.

Might as well morph him into a dalek, or a swamp monster, or a dogturd. I wish they'd brought in something time travelling but maybe just similar but not Dr Who.

#RIPDrWho
    No, the Doctor isn't restricted to being male like Harry Potter etc.

What a ridiculous analogy.

Then the question is why did they make that decision? It can't have been because Whittaker was the best candidate because they hadn't begun thinking of candidates.
    The new showrunner said his vision for the character was to always be female. It's therfore a story/character driven move and not just a PC one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
    The new showrunner said his vision for the character was to always be female. It's therfore a story/character driven move and not just a PC one.
    Let's hope he's the right man for the job then.

Never really liked Capaldi so happy there is a change. The Doctor has always been a man in my mind, but that's just what I've gotten used to - so that's my problem - and I am looking forward to seeing how she portrays the character. It can do with freshening up. It's not really that radical either - if they picked an older, less attractive woman, then that would have been radical!

I understand the doubters but there are bigger things to worry about. If she does it badly, don't watch anymore - plenty of great series around. And always good to get women into sci-fi - in my experience many (incl my wife) tend to stay away from it in favour of 'real life' films - makes going cinema an argument!

But really, I felt more upset when I found out they were making Starbuck female in BSG (the original 'face' was my fave character) - and Katie Sackhoff (and writers) did a fantastic job and now Starbuck is a woman in my mind...until the next remake of course

Tbh I fell off the Dr Who wagon when Tennant became the doctor but came back on to give it another chance with Matt Smith (who I loved in the role although his last year was not great) and gave Capaldi a chance (who didn't seem to fit the role well at all but I loved his co-stars so it made everything OK in the long run).

Jodie Whittaker has been in some class films/TV and I'm convinced she isn't just a lazy PC move like the butt-hurt on Twitter are suggesting and has instead won this on merit, so lets just give her a chance, yes?
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Tbh I fell off the Dr Who wagon when Tennant became the doctor but came back on to give it another chance with Matt Smith (who I loved in the role although his last year was not great) and gave Capaldi a chance (who didn't seem to fit the role well at all but I loved his co-stars so it made everything OK in the long run).

Jodie Whittaker has been in some class films/TV and I'm convinced she isn't just a lazy PC move like the butt-hurt on Twitter are suggesting and has instead won this on merit, so lets just give her a chance, yes?
    Well, she won it on merit after they decided to choose a woman.

Well, she won it on merit after they decided to choose a woman.
    Does it matter? She's been fantastic in what I've seen her in to date and, given good writing, can be a fantastic doctor who. If she's being written off by some before seeing anything other than a 1 minute clip of her as the doctor, then I think the problem here is not with her or the writers.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Does it matter? She's been fantastic in what I've seen her in to date and, given good writing, can be a fantastic doctor who. If she's being written off by some before seeing anything other than a 1 minute clip of her as the doctor, then I think the problem here is not with her or the writers.
    I don't think any real fans have written her off. They're simply wondering why the decision was made to change gender now and as yet haven't heard it.

A show taken over by the PC loving brigade. Long gone are the days of Alf G. Sad.
    Farewell my lovers.

I don't think any real fans have written her off. They're simply wondering why the decision was made to change gender now and as yet haven't heard it.
    Social progress and equality, maybe?

Just a thought.

I'm not a big Doctor Who fan but there is nothing in his character traits or storyline that means he has to be a man, other than "its always been the case". Its different, for me, to say James Bond who as a ruthless killer who relies on strength and fighting abilities, where changing gender is a bit "what?" (but not race, for example).

If the Sisterhood of the Karn are to be believed. Only McGann to Hurt was a predetermined change in the story line. The previous and probably subsequent changes have been completely randomised including changing sex.

It should also be noted that as well as the Master/Missy in the Novel "Shada" that was written by Gareth Roberts based on Douglas Adams's unfilmed story. Tom Baker's Doctor referred to the Timelord - The Corsair in both the masculine and feminine pronouns.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Corsair

So the interchangeability of a Timelord's gender is not a recent thing.

I also love the fact that there have been some mock outrage comments like "What are the BBC thinking she will sort everything out in 20mins" or the fact that the Doctor is from Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    Social progress and equality, maybe?

Just a thought.

I'm not a big Doctor Who fan but there is nothing in his character traits or storyline that means he has to be a man, other than "its always been the case". Its different, for me, to say James Bond who as a ruthless killer who relies on strength and fighting abilities, where changing gender is a bit "what?" (but not race, for example).
    You mean positive discrimination.