Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
    You mean positive discrimination.
    There is nothing wrong with positive discrimination, but in this case I'm not even sure it needs to be that. What's fared better at the box office - BvS or Wonder Woman? The latter. How did Hunger Games fare? Extremely well.

These are just examples, but the fact is the world is getting to a point where people's heroes aren't defined by their gender. At the moment Doctor Who is a show watched predominantly by men, this move commercially could bring in huge numbers of new viewers. 50% of the world's population are of the other sex.

As I said, I'm not sure there is anything in the Doctor Who character or name that means they must be a male. There is certainly nothing grounded in fact that means a woman may be less capable of the job (unlike Bond, again), other than people's prejudices.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by jaredb_7 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with positive discrimination, but in this case I'm not even sure it needs to be that. What's fared better at the box office - BvS or Wonder Woman? The latter. How did Hunger Games fare? Extremely well.

These are just examples, but the fact is the world is getting to a point where people's heroes aren't defined by their gender. At the moment Doctor Who is a show watched predominantly by men, this move commercially could bring in huge numbers of new viewers. 50% of the world's population are of the other sex.

As I said, I'm not sure there is anything in the Doctor Who character or name that means they must be a male. There is certainly nothing grounded in fact that means a woman may be less capable of the job (unlike Bond, again), other than people's prejudices.
    That was my thinking.......its an alien, a super dooper timelord...though Lord suggests male, but I'm nitpicking

Timelady will do

Quote Originally Posted by welshypool View Post
    That was my thinking.......its an alien, a super dooper timelord...though Lord suggests male, but I'm nitpicking

Timelady will do
    Let's face it… Doctor Who is actually a Transformer.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, but if you have figures I'm happy to stand corrected. Don't you see that saying woman who didn't watch before will if there's a female lead is as sexist as saying men will only watch a male lead.

Also I think positive discrimination is completely wrong, so we seem to be poles apart here.

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    Let's face it… Doctor Who is actually a Transformer.
    To really help we should have a Pre-Op and Post-Op Doctor, whose gay and black and vegan and against the discrimination of any alien life forms, including Daleks, Cyber-Men and cheap ailing British actors or comedians dressed as giant slugs, all of which leads to His/Her downfall within one new episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure of that, but if you have figures I'm happy to stand corrected. Don't you see that saying woman who didn't watch before will if there's a female lead is as sexist as saying men will only watch a male lead.

Also I think positive discrimination is completely wrong, so we seem to be poles apart here.
    I'm a creative director in the branding and advertising sector, its not sexist its a simple fact that consumers (as humans) find it easier to relate to people with characteristics they view as shared. I never implied they would ONLY watch someone of the same sex.

I've just checked and "predominantly" is completely misleading - sorry about that. Females make up 51% of the UK's population, Doctor Who's audience is 47% female, so only a slight skew.

I agree we wont agree, lets leave it there. Just coming back to my own commercial background, however - I can tell you consumers are always opposed to change, in all forms. But they are also not always aware of what they want. This move absolutely would have been tested in focus groups and probably also quantitively, but the questions asked wouldn't have been as simple as "should doctor who be a woman" because its a loaded question.

Dr Who is a pretty big brand, maybe its struggling and a change was needed, who knows, but what I do know is they will be confident the change has the basis to be successful because quite simply marketers and executives no longer make decisions without numbers to back them up.

Not a guarantee of course.

To really help we should have a Pre-Op and Post-Op Doctor, whose gay and black and vegan and against the discrimination of any alien life forms, including Daleks, Cyber-Men and cheap ailing British actors or comedians dressed as giant slugs, all of which leads to His/Her downfall within one new episode.
    Brilliant synopsis.

I'd certainly watch that as a Grande Finale to the whole thing.

I suppose the poor long-suffering Tardis ends up as a Condom Vending Machine on the platform at Denbigh Railway Station… or something similar.

The wife will not start watching it.
    For her the gender of the doctor doesnt matter, she is just not interested in the show.
    Btw batman vs superman was just a crap movie.
    Last edited by Anubis; 17-7-17 at 14:24.

Brilliant synopsis.

I suppose the poor long-suffering Tardis ends up as a Condom Vending Machine on the platform at Denbigh Railway Station… or something similar.
    Its a fitting end that, I wonder whether the Condom's dispensed will be from various timelines as a quirky side effect? Whole new adventures in the offing

Its a fitting end that, I wonder whether the Condom's dispensed will be from various timelines as a quirky side effect? Whole new adventures in the offing
    Will they be bigger on the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post

Leading to much insecurity and a further set back for the male species

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    I'm a creative director in the branding and advertising sector, its not sexist its a simple fact that consumers (as humans) find it easier to relate to people with characteristics they view as shared. I never implied they would ONLY watch someone of the same sex.

I've just checked and "predominantly" is completely misleading - sorry about that. Females make up 51% of the UK's population, Doctor Who's audience is 47% female, so only a slight skew.

I agree we wont agree, lets leave it there. Just coming back to my own commercial background, however - I can tell you consumers are always opposed to change, in all forms. But they are also not always aware of what they want. This move absolutely would have been tested in focus groups and probably also quantitively, but the questions asked wouldn't have been as simple as "should doctor who be a woman" because its a loaded question.

Dr Who is a pretty big brand, maybe its struggling and a change was needed, who knows, but what I do know is they will be confident the change has the basis to be successful because quite simply marketers and executives no longer make decisions without numbers to back them up.

Not a guarantee of course.
    ok, fair post. but considering that dr who now is an overseas brand and has only just recently secured a 5 year deal with china i do wonder how it will play out now. fwiw this is just a random thought on this particular post.

lonewolf kal is online now Boot Room insider
    The wife will not start watching it.
    For her the gender of the doctor doesnt matter, she is just not interested in the show.
    Btw batman vs superman was just a crap movie.
    it wasn't good. but tbf with the amount that was cut didn't really help. watching the uncut version does help it a bit more. fwiw i thought wonder woman was a good film.

Leading to much insecurity and a further set back for the male species

Ganymede is offline Prefers one thread per page
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    If the Sisterhood of the Karn are to be believed. Only McGann to Hurt was a predetermined change in the story line. The previous and probably subsequent changes have been completely randomised including changing sex.

It should also be noted that as well as the Master/Missy in the Novel "Shada" that was written by Gareth Roberts based on Douglas Adams's unfilmed story. Tom Baker's Doctor referred to the Timelord - The Corsair in both the masculine and feminine pronouns.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Corsair

So the interchangeability of a Timelord's gender is not a recent thing.

I also love the fact that there have been some mock outrage comments like "What are the BBC thinking she will sort everything out in 20mins" or the fact that the Doctor is from Yorkshire.
    It's not a totally random change.

12 "chose" that face for a specific purpose.

In the 50th anniversary special the Curator (Tom Baker) said that the Doctor could choose to reuse old faces.

There's at least a subconscious choice when regenerating.

Brilliant synopsis.

Denbigh doesn't have a railway station.

Beeching and all that probably.

Closed prior to privatisation.

Quote Originally Posted by rhoscoch View Post
    Denbigh doesn't have a railway station.

Beeching and all that probably.

Closed prior to privatisation.
    That's the deal with the Tardis, though… goes back in time… somewhere before 1962, when the station closed to passenger traffic.

If Dr who can go back in time then Dr who will be a man again

That's the deal with the Tardis, though… goes back in time… somewhere before 1962, when the station closed to passenger traffic.
    Did they have Condom Vending machines back then?

I can recall the little chocolate bar ones...

Did they have Condom Vending machines back then?

I can recall the little chocolate bar ones...
    I seem to recall some tinny-looking white metal ones (condom machines) in the men's loos in some pubs during the 60s.

Chocolate bar machines… and the 'weigh yourself' ones, too… they had some little saying or homily on the card too, as I recall.

But, as I said, the Tardis can just go back in time anyway, and be what it wants.

I seem to recall some tinny-looking white metal ones (condom machines) in the men's loos in some pubs during the 60s.

Chocolate bar machines… and the 'weigh yourself' ones, too… they had some little saying or homily on the card too, as I recall.

But, as I said, the Tardis can just go back in time anyway, and be what it wants.
    Yes and it could go back in time and produce dud condoms to ensure geniuses that were never born....are born.

Da da daaaaaaa

That argument is not relevant at all as all that matters is how good a movie is or not. Folks and will always like good cinema and when it is good, you forget the gender.

Woman (like men) dont' do well in bad movies like Ghostbusters or Cat-woman or Aeon Flux

On the flip side, how about Lara Croft series or the lady in terminator series or Kill bill series or Furiosa in mad max?

On the subject of Dr who though, it takes nothing away from the series and most probably add a great dynamic to it so i am all for it despite all its politics.
    As the doctor was never a physical or athletic specimen and not really a womanizer so i dont see any hindrances for a woman to play it while keeping the spirit of the character intact.

Whereas if someone comes with a female James Bond, then i would give it a pass as the character exemplifies maleness to the core.

Shown myself up really haven't I?

Yes and it could go back in time and produce dud condoms to ensure geniuses that were never born....are born.

Da da daaaaaaa
    I think you'll find that it's 'da-da-da daaaaa' for the ominous and sinister note that you're striving for, there.

Shown myself up really haven't I?
    Not at all, ol' chap. Speculation is what fills the forums, after all.

I think you'll find that it's 'da-da-da daaaaa' for the ominous and sinister note that you're striving for, there.
    This why you are the producer and soundtrack composer, devil and detail you know

This why you are the producer and soundtrack composer, devil and detail you know
    Indeed.

You can handle the money side of things, as per usual.

I hear the decision came about at a tennis tournament, when discussing who should be the next doctor the answer was drowned out by an announcement of "new balls please" which was misheard as "no balls please"
    People will believe what they want to believe

kas74 is online now First team regular
    Personally I'd go with 'da-da-daaaaaaa' but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by kas74 View Post
    Personally I'd go with 'da-da-daaaaaaa' but that's just me.
    I was thinking of something along the lines of Beethoven's 5th, although slower.

Your da-da-daaaa would be something like descending notes, I suppose… full of dark foreboding (like West Wales)