Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 126

Thread: Lest We Forget

  1. #91  
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,551
    We will remember them.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #92  
    Coutinho_to_Greatness is offline Directors Box
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,077
    On the eve of the 100 year anniversary of the Somme , we stand here wondering about a what life will be like after the EU referendum, crying that some didn't get the result we wanted, others elated that they did, but through it all we should remember that if it was not for these men, we wouldn't even have a right to freedom, a right to vote!

    For these men laid down their lives in one of the bloodiest conflicts in the worlds history and they will never be forgotten!

    Never forget them.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #93  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,285
    We owe them a debt of gratitude that could never be repaid, their sacrifice puts our modern lives and worries into sharp perspective.

    We will always remember them, may they rest in peace.

    YNWA
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #94  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,950
    I was listening to Radio 5 Live this morning and they had relatives of people in the war reading sections of their diaries. It was very emotional.

    Never Forget
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #95  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    26,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    I was listening to Radio 5 Live this morning and they had relatives of people in the war reading sections of their diaries. It was very emotional.

    Never Forget
    Battle of the Somme - 100 years old today
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/te...-of-the-somme/
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #96  
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Battle of the Somme - 100 years old today
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/te...-of-the-somme/
    Youth lost to senseless slaughter - literally walking to their deaths.

    We shall always remember. Lest we Forget.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #97  
    Coutinho_to_Greatness is offline Directors Box
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,077
    I stood an watched the ceremony this morning at and the tears streaming down my face. These boys 'going over the top' to their inevitable death, horrifying!



    They will never be forgotten.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #98  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    24,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Coutinho_to_Greatness View Post
    I stood an watched the ceremony this morning at and the tears streaming down my face. These boys 'going over the top' to their inevitable death, horrifying!



    They will never be forgotten.
    This .

    RIP
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #99  
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    8,502
    Puts many of our modern day gripes into perspective.photos of soldiers from back then on the front line. All of them smiling and getting on with things.taking it all in their stride. Many volunteered to fight.
    How lucky are we!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #100  
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,911
    One of the greatest tragedies when a country loses a soldier, is the family behind that soldier, and the son or daughter who loses their hero.
    We honour all the soldiers who gave their lives in service to their country.
    We remember these brave men and women for their courage and their devotion to ideals.
    For one brief moment of our life, we remember why we must work for peace every day of the year.
    God bless every soldier that risked his life so for us to remain free.
    For us to express our thoughts and speak with freedom.

    Nobody dies that is remembered.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #101  
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    16,032
    Quote Originally Posted by -Joey- View Post
    One of the greatest tragedies when a country loses a soldier, is the family behind that soldier, and the son or daughter who loses their hero.
    We honour all the soldiers who gave their lives in service to their country.
    We remember these brave men and women for their courage and their devotion to ideals.
    For one brief moment of our life, we remember why we must work for peace every day of the year.
    God bless every soldier that risked his life so for us to remain free.
    For us to express our thoughts and speak with freedom.

    Nobody dies that is remembered.
    My great great parents both died in thessaloniki, and left my great grand mother with 6 sisters and brothers to raise.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #102  
    Coutinho_to_Greatness is offline Directors Box
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,077
    Fifa are a disgrace!! <Removed by mod, lets keep it to remembrance please.>
    Last edited by kickthetyres; 6-11-16 at 16:05.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #103  
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    24,163
    Some touching moments witnessed today on our grounds .

    The non British posters on here can stuff their views on this up their collective body parts .

    Lest We Forget . RIP.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #104  
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,768
    Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post
    Some touching moments witnessed today on our grounds .

    The non British posters on here can stuff their views on this up their collective body parts .

    Lest We Forget . RIP.
    Well said mate 100%
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #105  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    61,349
    Quote Originally Posted by redhoops View Post
    Some touching moments witnessed today on our grounds .

    The non British posters on here can stuff their views on this up their collective body parts .

    Lest We Forget . RIP.
    Did you move to the US finally?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #106  
    kickthetyres is online now LFC Forums Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    22,415
    Wow, well done Leicester City!

    The mosaic in the stand I mean, not the idiots who can't shut up.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #107  
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,768
    Quote Originally Posted by kickthetyres View Post
    Wow, well done Leicester City!

    The mosaic in the stand I mean, not the idiots who can't shut up.
    Yes it was a nice mosaic by Leicester fair dues..
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #108  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    61,349
    <Removed>
    Last edited by kickthetyres; 6-11-16 at 20:17. Reason: When I want your opinion on my moderating skills I'll ask for it
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #109  
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    26,960
    Its 98 years ago now that, On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918, the guns of the Western Front fell silent after more than four years of continuous warfare during the First World War.

    Because of you, we do the things we do
    The tears we shed today are not tears of weakness
    But, tears of Remembrance, They died for freedom - they died for us.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #110  
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    My great great parents both died in thessaloniki, and left my great grand mother with 6 sisters and brothers to raise.
    My Great Uncle John died at Gallipoli. Buried in a small Consular Cemetery over there. A few years back the War Graves Commission (for a small standard fee) managed to track it, and sent me photographs of the headstone.

    It was surprisingly emotional to see his last resting place. Almost like a large tree-shaded garden, with several British soldiers buried there, and a number of New Zealand's Wellington Mounted Rifles.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #111  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Coutinho_to_Greatness View Post
    Dedicated to the men and ladies that have fought in wars for Britian and it allies since WWI to Libya. Always remembered.





    Lest we Forget

    PS can we have a poppy smiley?
    Absolutely. Completely agree. Good thread.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #112  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteron View Post
    Its 98 years ago now that, On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918, the guns of the Western Front fell silent after more than four years of continuous warfare during the First World War.

    Because of you, we do the things we do
    The tears we shed today are not tears of weakness
    But, tears of Remembrance, They died for freedom - they died for us.
    Good post. Agree. Those who gave their lives should never be forgotten.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #113  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,640
    Elgar's Enigma variations: Nimrod. A piece that is traditionally played on Remembrance Day
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #114  
    'Stim is offline First team regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    42,422
    We Will Remember Them
    " The Dude Abides "
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #115  
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,768
    I am not a badge of honour,
    I am not a racist smear,
    I am not a fashion statement,
    To be worn but once a year,
    I am not glorification
    Of conflict or of war.
    I am not a paper ornament
    A token,
    I am more.

    I am a loving memory,
    Of a father or a son,
    A permanent reminder
    Of each and every one.

    I'm paper or enamel
    I'm old or shining new,
    I'm a way of saying thank you,
    To every one of you.

    I am a simple poppy
    A Reminder to you all,
    That courage faith and honour,
    Will stand where heroes fall.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #116  
    aylesbyred is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    49,891
    I was surprised the forums didn't close for a short period
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #117  
    Coutinho_to_Greatness is offline Directors Box
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,077
    Never forgotten.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #118  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,640
    Beautiful service and commemoration of Passchendaele on BBC2 from Ypres.

    I have a personal connection with this battle as my Grandfather's uncle is one of the 1/4 million who did not grow old after being on the end of a German Artillery Shell
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #119  
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14,125
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Beautiful service and commemoration of Passchendaele on BBC2 from Ypres.

    I have a personal connection with this battle as my Grandfather's uncle is one of the 1/4 million who did not grow old after being on the end of a German Artillery Shell
    Yes same here. As my Passchendaele thread says it was a battle of futility. A ****** muddy hell.
    Never forget them.
    Mods-please merge my thread with this.

    As a relative of one said, "Those who cant remember the past are condemned to repeat it" Poignant words indeed. Furthermore, "I just hope we remember we need to work together in Europe."
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #120  
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    29,080
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Beautiful service and commemoration of Passchendaele on BBC2 from Ypres.

    I have a personal connection with this battle as my Grandfather's uncle is one of the 1/4 million who did not grow old after being on the end of a German Artillery Shell
    I think many people forget that the people on the other side are just like your Grandfather's Uncle, just ordinary people churned up by the machine of war created on all sides by donkeys pretending to be lions with the poor sods on the streets paying the price.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •