Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lest We Forget

Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    Beautiful service and commemoration of Passchendaele on BBC2 from Ypres.

I have a personal connection with this battle as my Grandfather's uncle is one of the 1/4 million who did not grow old after being on the end of a German Artillery Shell
    I find all these commemorations quite poignant.

I lost three uncles in WW2, plus some mentally damaged… in WW1 my Grandad fought in France, and my Great Uncle John died at Gallipoli. My wife's family suffered similarly.

It's hard - even at my age - not to see a relative's name on a memorial remain unmoved.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Quote Originally Posted by DiddlerDave View Post
    My Great Uncle John died at Gallipoli. Buried in a small Consular Cemetery over there. A few years back the War Graves Commission (for a small standard fee) managed to track it, and sent me photographs of the headstone.

It was surprisingly emotional to see his last resting place. Almost like a large tree-shaded garden, with several British soldiers buried there, and a number of New Zealand's Wellington Mounted Rifles.
    Oh, forgotten I'd posted this last year.

Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    I think many people forget that the people on the other side are just like your Grandfather's Uncle, just ordinary people churned up by the machine of war created on all sides by donkeys pretending to be lions with the poor sods on the streets paying the price.
    Agreed - he was a Lance Corporal in one of the County Regiments and with some mates in a crater. Additionally yes there will be those who were on the other side of the wire who would be in a similar position of being expected to do their duty even if their duty is to advance an abhorrent agenda just because the politicians couldn't/wouldn't sit down together and thrash the issues out in a peaceful manner. Even up to the Admiral/General status.

Lest we forget

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    I think many people forget that the people on the other side are just like your Grandfather's Uncle, just ordinary people churned up by the machine of war created on all sides by donkeys pretending to be lions with the poor sods on the streets paying the price.
    Absolutely. The 1st WW was undoubtedly a needless war despite what some historians say and yes the poor German infantryman was cannon fodder as were our troops.

"Remembering and honouring those who have sacrificed themselves to secure and protect our freedom".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYNN-_n6NgQ
    # I Remember

dreams-come-true is online now First team regular
    Wars didn't stop though. But yes, do remember their sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by dreams-come-true View Post
    Wars didn't stop though. But yes, do remember their sacrifice.
    Never will ...... even the PC brigades war crimes witch hunts haven't slowed wars - now its splintered down to groups/organisations as well as countries

At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJq6iIfHfvU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lUpvEgJEn94

Good luck everyone
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lUpvEgJEn94

Quote Originally Posted by ghyllred View Post
    Absolutely. The 1st WW was undoubtedly a needless war despite what some historians say and yes the poor German infantryman was cannon fodder as were our troops.
    It was all about who had the biggest.
    The czar or the keiser

As my father would say when he was alive, "there is nothing good about war."
    This was the only thing he would ever say about his war service, and this from a man who was married on a Saturday in 1939, and spent his so-called honeymoon on a minesweeper in Scapa Flow.
    Never, ever forget the debt we owe them.

We should remember all who fought.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41917784

An article that while trying to remember others' contribution, ends up doing a disservice and excluding more by focussing only on muslims (as if that means non-white) rather than in this case indians. The Indian army had sikhs and hindus in majority, articles like this by the BBC try so hard to use an event to try to combat islamaphobia, it changes the story of remembrance as they omit the contribution of others who also should be remembered. Not to mention the other commonwealth countries involved.

Quote Originally Posted by DantesShadow View Post
    We should remember all who fought.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41917784

An article that while trying to remember others' contribution, ends up doing a disservice and excluding more by focussing only on muslims (as if that means non-white) rather than in this case indians. The Indian army had sikhs and hindus in majority, articles like this by the BBC try so hard to use an event to try to combat islamaphobia, it changes the story of remembrance as they omit the contribution of others who also should be remembered. Not to mention the other commonwealth countries involved.
    Agreed, take "the few" for example they are not all British. Along with Operation Chastise had members from the Australian, Canadian and New Zealander air forces including an American who was serving in the RCAF. This is because the operation needed the best crews to go and bust some dams. Then let's not forget those who now can capture whole mountains without firing a shot just by reputation alone - their badges are crossed kukris.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KLDZkypBHnw

Quote Originally Posted by liobiankopite View Post
    As my father would say when he was alive, "there is nothing good about war."
    This was the only thing he would ever say about his war service, and this from a man who was married on a Saturday in 1939, and spent his so-called honeymoon on a minesweeper in Scapa Flow.
    Never, ever forget the debt we owe them.
    My ol' Dad had some nasty times in WWII - imparted to me the 'trick' of walking over dead bodies.

It's a terrible thing for a man to experience.

Hello from a fellow Liobian, by the way!