Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Losing Fat/Gaining Muscle' Thread

BilbaoBaggins is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by -IAmTheWumAndOnly- View Post
    This is where i get lost , i have just been eating fruit and veg ,potatos ,rice ,fish ,red top milk ,brown bread ,special k ,and low fat soups , and i have almost lost a stone in a month , 3/4 of a stone in total ,i just go on asda website online and order my food in the new year new you section
    Different people, different affects.
    Well done though mate.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

-SilkySkills- is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyandtheHenderson View Post
    Different people, different affects.
    Well done though mate.
    thanks ,also gave up smoking over a year ago december and stopped drinking only on the rare do's , only reason i managed to do all of this is because i moved out of my local area where all my friends live.

Quote Originally Posted by Reina-the-Monk View Post
    Started off at 189lbs, standing at a standard 5ft 9" at the age of 22. Obviously wasn't happy with this and my really high aim is to get to around 150

Now on 175lbs and it all seems to be fat! Absolutely love it and everyone can tell the difference (kind of an insult to be honest, everyone pretty much saying I was a right tub of lard ).

Week by week I was losing:

First week - 7lbs
    Second week - 3 lbs
    Third week - 2lbs
    Fourth week - 1lb

Started off really well and was dropping it like mad, but gradually it's decreasing and I haven't really changed much in what I was doing, in fact, I'm going to the gym a couple more times a week (could possibly be muscle I'm putting on while losing the fat) and I'm also playing football and extra 2 times a week. Kind of confusing really.

Been eating all the right stuff, not been drinking, quit smoking, no junk food, plenty of salads, fruit and veg.

Problem is I think I'm just going to stop losing weight somehow as it doesn't seem to be going as quickly!

Anyone got any tips for losing it, anything will do really
    You are doing well mate. Keep it up but trick your body!

When you diet your body goes into starvation mode that’s why you lose lots of weight at first and then it steadies itself out! Lots of water is the key, plus a varied exercise of fast cardio and weights.

The best form of exercise (my opinion) is interval training. I run every other day and sprint and weight train between the slow cardio

I was in the army and used to train squaddies this way. (A black bag and a sauna, or drying room as we called it also did the trick. Ah the good old days ) but if you keep to the same old routine then your metabolism starts to crash and it gets harder to create a deficit.

Have a look at this site: http://www.shapefit.com/ some good stuff on there

Good luck mate

I've been trying to lose weight recently. I'm 19, but very chubby!

I've been going to the Gym every day for the last two weeks and only lost like 2 pounds. I have been running loads, doing a lot of weights, and nothing seems to be happening! on top of this I'm eating well and only drinking water.

I'm still keeping at it, but It just seems like it's going to be a struggle!

what i found has helped me is that i have a year planner up on my wall and every day i weigh myself and fill my weight in and give it a tick if i have ate the good things , so far this month only 1 cross from a cream cake that was forced on me at work because a mate brought them in on his b-day and said i had to eat it even though i refused at first lol

thanks ,also gave up smoking over a year ago december and stopped drinking only on the rare do's , only reason i managed to do all of this is because i moved out of my local area where all my friends live.
    Well, I've never smoked so I don't know how hard it is to quit, drinking though, I can't even contemplate quiting drinking, that sounds really bad, especially considering I'm not even 18 yet. :FP:

'Stim is online now First team regular
    This is where i get lost , i have just been eating fruit and veg ,potatos ,rice ,fish ,red top milk ,brown bread ,special k ,and low fat soups , and i have almost lost a stone in a month , 3/4 of a stone in total ,i just go on asda website online and order my food in the new year new you section

also low fat microwave meals

what would be the best winning formula ?
    3/4 stone in 1 month is good,dude. Well done
    There are good & bad in each food group,some types of bean, and especially wholegrain carbs are good-if not too many are taken in,bad carbs like white bread & potato are not so good,pastries are just awful. Try wholegrain rice instead of normal white rice,I'd be giving the "Low Fat" micro-ready meals the miss personally,it will contain processed ingredients,they're all made to a price and mass produced,there are just better thing to eat than them in my opinion. Drop in to see your local nurse,get some advice on Diet,what works,what doesn't & what makes things worse,it's free,there'll be loads of free info that you can take home with you,and you'll have a wider scope of foods knowing what you can have & what you can't,piece of mind. If it helps make things easier,why not try it.

caspertheghost is offline Academy prospect
    I recommend a good dose of Gastro-enteritis.

Caught it off a patient in work and shed 1 1/2 stone in a week, but it really was a **** yourself thin "diet".

Effective but not really ideal......

Well, I've never smoked so I don't know how hard it is to quit, drinking though, I can't even contemplate quiting drinking, that sounds really bad, especially considering I'm not even 18 yet. :FP:
    Im 31 and always said i would knock it all on the head when i hit 30 , i have drunk like the best of em

Quote Originally Posted by caspertheghost View Post

Caught it off a patient in work and shed 1 1/2 stone in a week, but it really was a **** yourself thin "diet".

Can you bottle that! Be worth a mint

Mmmm,that's one "nasty pasty". I do not want that,I saw a chap in the hospital with it,he was messed up properly,he was on the verge of being seriously poorly. Not good.

LukasBrodolski is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicalTom View Post
    I've been trying to lose weight recently. I'm 19, but very chubby!

I've been going to the Gym every day for the last two weeks and only lost like 2 pounds. I have been running loads, doing a lot of weights, and nothing seems to be happening! on top of this I'm eating well and only drinking water.

I'm still keeping at it, but It just seems like it's going to be a struggle!
    You shouldn't be going to the gym every day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by King-Luis-the-Second View Post
    Can you bottle that! Be worth a mint
    It was a hell of a long time ago but I do remember feeling like death warmed up.

I was scared to cough / fart.

Quote Originally Posted by Stim View Post
    3/4 stone in 1 month is good,dude. Well done
    There are good & bad in each food group,some types of bean, and especially wholegrain carbs are good-if not too many are taken in,bad carbs like white bread & potato are not so good,pastries are just awful. Try wholegrain rice instead of normal white rice,I'd be giving the "Low Fat" micro-ready meals the miss personally,it will contain processed ingredients,they're all made to a price and mass produced,there are just better thing to eat than them in my opinion. Drop in to see your local nurse,get some advice on Diet,what works,what doesn't & what makes things worse,it's free,there'll be loads of free info that you can take home with you,and you'll have a wider scope of foods knowing what you can have & what you can't,piece of mind. If it helps make things easier,why not try it.
    cheers mate , i cant believe the potato is bad for ya , i love my potato's !!!

Im 31 and always said i would knock it all on the head when i hit 30 , i have drunk like the best of em
    Again, well done on quitting, I've also said I'll quit when I get married & have kids, long time to go yet though, hopefully.

It was a hell of a long time ago but I do remember feeling like death warmed up.

is that how you got your username lol

Beer is mostly the main culprit of that common sight,the beer belly. I was always battling to stop the appearence of one,I stopped beer,now drink wine instead,have a tight belly now,it really made alot of difference with me,and I didn't never drink loads of pints just one an evening and 3-4 on the weekend.

The only time I have ever drunk was when I was 16 and had almost a whole bottle of Jack. That experience was not what caused me not to drink anymore though.

Again, well done on quitting, I've also said I'll quit when I get married & have kids, long time to go yet though, hopefully.
    my family smoked and the nan and grandad cough all the time , that made me realise i didn't want to have all these health problems you get from drinking and smoking

is that how you got your username lol
    nope - not telling

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you are well shot of it! I have felt like that many a time, but most of the time it was self-inflicted!

Quote Originally Posted by Yowa View Post
    The only time I have ever drunk was when I was 16 and had almost a whole bottle of Jack. That experience was not what caused me not to drink anymore though.
    That was my problem i got ill at first but carried on going , silly really

nope - not telling

cheers mate , i cant believe the potato is bad for ya , i love my potato's !!!
    I love a baked potato or chips or mash too, but they aren't great from what I've heard-just the wrong kind of carb that isn't as easily broken down,and if it doesn't get broken down & burnt off,it gets stored-yep as bodyfat. If you do eat potato don't have alot,keep the amount/portion small as poss.

Quote Originally Posted by King-Luis-the-Second View Post
    Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you are well shot of it! I have felt like that many a time, but most of the time it was self-inflicted!
    Oh hell it was way way back in 1997 I think but Christ almighty it scared the **** out of me - literally. It was in the days when hospital infections were rife.

Quote Originally Posted by Stim View Post
    I love a baked potato or chips or mash too, but they aren't great from what I've heard-just the wrong kind of carb that isn't as easily broken down,and if it doesn't get broken down & burnt off,it gets stored-yep as bodyfat. If you do eat potato don't have alot,keep the amount/portion small as poss.
    I bought a bag of potatoes today and now i have to try and eat them in moderation just to get rid
    Last edited by -SilkySkills-; 31-1-12 at 00:44.

Sleep! Sleep is good for dieting too,it helps establish a good rhthym for the body,muscle repair & metabolism,getting good sleep helps build a healthier body and mind-definately. Not much effort required doing it either... Whoooo! talking of which,it's that time......

Quote Originally Posted by Reina-the-Monk View Post
    Started off at 189lbs, standing at a standard 5ft 9" at the age of 22. Obviously wasn't happy with this and my really high aim is to get to around 150

Now on 175lbs and it all seems to be fat! Absolutely love it and everyone can tell the difference (kind of an insult to be honest, everyone pretty much saying I was a right tub of lard ).

Week by week I was losing:

First week - 7lbs
    Second week - 3 lbs
    Third week - 2lbs
    Fourth week - 1lb

Started off really well and was dropping it like mad, but gradually it's decreasing and I haven't really changed much in what I was doing, in fact, I'm going to the gym a couple more times a week (could possibly be muscle I'm putting on while losing the fat) and I'm also playing football and extra 2 times a week. Kind of confusing really.

Been eating all the right stuff, not been drinking, quit smoking, no junk food, plenty of salads, fruit and veg.

Problem is I think I'm just going to stop losing weight somehow as it doesn't seem to be going as quickly!

Anyone got any tips for losing it, anything will do really
    Losing weight really depends on the person and what works for the specific individual, sounds like your doing a great job anyway
    But i'll give you an insight on what i have had to do in the past

Its not so much about the qauntity of food, its obviously whats in the food and what you intake.

I have spent 12-15 years in the Amateur boxing scene and also a good stint in the Infantry (where weight and fitness is a focul point), Im very close to 30 now and i put weight on for fun these days, hence in september i had to get down from a hefty 91 kgs for a bout at my fight weight of 79kgs and i had 23 days to make the weight, Straight away i had to suffer, so i cut out all bread and carbs instantly, I stocked up on masses of Fruit and i only ate Porridge, (this has an immediate effect on your well being and mental strength) I hit the weight with 3 days to spare, (but i had left it too late, my stamina suffered and my strength suffered)

The point is, the body will adapt, pretty soon you will level out, as you seem to be doing now. I now live comfortably around 82 kgs because my body is used to the food intake and level of training i apply, My body has learned to store the right levels of fat and to burn excess fat more quickly, the muscular you get the more it uses the fat as an energy source rather than a hindrance! Hence the reason your weight loss slows but your physical appearance becomes more lean

Seems to me your doin everything right as you are, so if you want to get down to 150, all you need to do is take your level of exercise up a notch....Running is boring but it is the most effective form of losing weight while dieting, Also rather than doing weights that may build your bmi, you can go for just doing lighter weights with more repetitions, so if you say bench 60kg at 10 reps, do 40kgs at 20 reps ect, you will rip up but wont bang on the muscle weight as much Best of luck and kep us informed.

Nice work mate. About two years ago I decided I wanted to drop about 10kgs - and I did.

Different things work for different people, but I think it's all about finding a routine/lifestyle that suits you that works. It's hard to stick to it, but once you see that it is working it gives you extra motivation to stick to what you're doing.

If I had to give one tip, I'd say do not eat anything after dinner!

Anyway, congratulations on your progress so far! When I made the decision to drop the weight and became aware of calories etc and what I was eating, I was mortified!! Some things I used to eat... my god. I'll never eat the same again now that I'm aware of what is going in and out. I was at about 90kg (I'm about 6' 1'') and wanted to be at 80 - and that's where I've been ever since.

Keep it up!

bondred is online now First team regular
    Oh hell it was way way back in 1997 I think but Christ almighty it scared the **** out of me - literally. It was in the days when hospital infections were rife.
    You mean last week then?