Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Losing Fat/Gaining Muscle' Thread

175lbs at 5ft 9" is actually really fat isn't it? I use stone so I may be wrong. I do think that's borderline obese though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

bondred is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by -Craig-- View Post
    175lbs at 5ft 9" is actually really fat isn't it? I use stone so I may be wrong. I do think that's borderline obese though.
    I am 6'1" and at my heaviest weighed 228 pounds, which is around 16st.

175lb at 5'9" isn't bad at all, around 12st I think

Quote Originally Posted by bondred View Post
    I am 6'1" and at my heaviest weighed 228 pounds, which is around 16st.

175lb at 5'9" isn't bad at all, around 12st I think

Hmmm. I'd count 12st at 5"9 as a bit chubby at least, but maybe he's ripped.

Keep up the good work though, Reina-the-Monk.

Cheers for all this lads

Quote Originally Posted by -Craig-- View Post
    It's not obese, on the bmi chart it's a lot closer to normal than obese, kind of in the overweight range.

Like I said though, I do have a fair but of muscle on me and that puts on more weight, but all the fat I do have is on the tum, chest and sides. Hardly anything on my arms, shoulders, back and legs. Kind of not proportional!

RogerHuntelaar is offline First team regular
    Share your food, everyone around you will get fatter and you will look more slim and will eat less.

This advice was free, the next one will cost you.

-SilkySkills- is offline First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerHuntelaar View Post
    Share your food, everyone around you will get fatter and you will look more slim and will eat less.

This advice was free, the next one will cost you.
    That's evil ,That's why i like it.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyandtheHenderson View Post
    Good luck on you're diet mate.
    I don't think they work that well to be honest I mean cut out fruit & potatoes? how are they bad for you?
    I'm not trying to put you off, just don't go overboard on these things or you'll crave them badly.
    Good luck to the Opening Poster but I tend to agree with you. I lost two and half stone in 5months by being careful of what I eat because of high blood pressure. In fact I find Potatoes a key source of potassium which can help lower blood pressure. Of course there are other potassium rich foods but I like boiled potatoes which helps. I also suffer from gout and hence eating foods to avoid gout attacks help. So in other words I had in affect a low fat diet coupled with a low purine diet together with more cardiovascular (aerobic) exercise that made all the difference to me.

The key to me was just ensuring I understood more about foods and hence my diet as distinct from going on a formal diet. The potatoe comment being an example because lots of people will often say cut out potatoes but in my case they were my primary source of potassium. In other words educate yourself and construct your own balanced food intake allowing a treat day per week. Don't be fooled by the earlier large weight loss which is often related to loss of fluid more rather than anything else.

Got my body fat percentage measured, 16% is body fat, was 24%+ on December! Massive progress

BilbaoBaggins is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by redjonn View Post
    Good luck to the Opening Poster but I tend to agree with you. I lost two and half stone in 5months by being careful of what I eat because of high blood pressure. In fact I find Potatoes a key source of potassium which can help lower blood pressure. Of course there are other potassium rich foods but I like boiled potatoes which helps. I also suffer from gout and hence eating foods to avoid gout attacks help. So in other words I had in affect a low fat diet coupled with a low purine diet together with more cardiovascular (aerobic) exercise that made all the difference to me.

The key to me was just ensuring I understood more about foods and hence my diet as distinct from going on a formal diet. The potatoe comment being an example because lots of people will often say cut out potatoes but in my case they were my primary source of potassium. In other words educate yourself and construct your own balanced food intake allowing a treat day per week. Don't be fooled by the earlier large weight loss which is often related to loss of fluid more rather than anything else.
    Well done on losing weight mate and good luck keeping it off, that's the hard.

Reina-the-Monk you inspired me to get on an even better diet.........but
    Today I had.
    A double Mcmuffin & bannana milkshake
    A ham & lettuce sandwitch with a fanta fruit twist.
    A curry with all the trimmings.
    And a choclate muffin..... I'm a disgrace.

I have lost a stone in a month and am starting to wonder if my scales are broke

Quote Originally Posted by -IAmTheWumAndOnly- View Post
    I have lost a stone in a month and am starting to wonder if my scales are broke
    Well done mate!

'Stim is online now First team regular
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyandtheHenderson View Post
    Well done on losing weight mate and good luck keeping it off, that's the hard.

Reina-the-Monk you inspired me to get on an even better diet.........but
    Today I had.
    A double Mcmuffin & bannana milkshake
    A ham & lettuce sandwitch with a fanta fruit twist.
    A curry with all the trimmings.
    And a choclate muffin..... I'm a disgrace.
    Ha ha! Drop down and give me 500 push-ups!
    Don't worry about it KatH,just go & burn that sucker off! A two hour workout will see things evened out. That's the key,make sure you burn off what you so irresponsibly scoffed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stim View Post
    Ha ha! Drop down and give me 500 push-ups!
    Don't worry about it KatH,just go & burn that sucker off! A two hour workout will see things evened out. That's the key,make sure you burn off what you so irresponsibly scoffed!!!
    I just had cheese and crackers......but going out on the bike tonight so will pedal like **** and think of you to burn that mature cheddar off my ass.....

Sorry, I don't know the metric system well but in 2010 I was 5'6" and 205, resembled "Hurley" from lost. Don't even drink alcohol and with triglycerides over 1,600 I ended up on a hospital bed for 3 weeks, 1 1/2 of them with tubes down my throat in a medically induced coma all because of acute pancreatitis. Long story short, survived my ordeal (only 25 years old at the time) lost 40 lbs, and now I am hovering around 165. I am keeping it off by playing football with a mate, we got out 3,4 days a week for about 1 1/2 hour, We live in Hawaii so not that many to play with. I don't eat as well as I should be, better of course due to the pancreas, but I reckon if I get that taken care of as well I can reach my target goal of 145-50.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomes View Post
    I just had cheese and crackers......but going out on the bike tonight so will pedal like **** and think of you to burn that mature cheddar off my ass.....
    That's the way,Lomes! If you're sweating in these Tundra like temperatures,you must be burning it off!
    I'm about to go running(15-20mins) to the gym ,then an hour in there & then the run home into a nice warm shower!

Quote Originally Posted by moonman84 View Post
    Sorry, I don't know the metric system well but in 2010 I was 5'6" and 205, resembled "Hurley" from lost. Don't even drink alcohol and with triglycerides over 1,600 I ended up on a hospital bed for 3 weeks, 1 1/2 of them with tubes down my throat in a medically induced coma all because of acute pancreatitis. Long story short, survived my ordeal (only 25 years old at the time) lost 40 lbs, and now I am hovering around 165. I am keeping it off by playing football with a mate, we got out 3,4 days a week for about 1 1/2 hour, We live in Hawaii so not that many to play with. I don't eat as well as I should be, better of course due to the pancreas, but I reckon if I get that taken care of as well I can reach my target goal of 145-50.
    Good luck Moonman,sounds like a tough ride you've had there,as long as you don't put any on,you can take things from there,when you're well enough-best wishes Dude.

I'm 6 foot 1 and 160 pounds. I hope you all feel suitably bad.

Anyone have advice on how to get rid of those pesky love handles and general lower stomach fat? Or advice on particular workouts for my club footy season. I'm a centreback and unsure of what particularly should be worked on.

LukasBrodolski is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBabylon View Post
    I'm 6 foot 1 and 160 pounds. I hope you all feel suitably bad.

Anyone have advice on how to get rid of those pesky love handles and general lower stomach fat? Or advice on particular workouts for my club footy season. I'm a centreback and unsure of what particularly should be worked on.
    Running and then rowing machine will trim it out of you after a few weeks of hard work

Mix it up by doing some bike work too, keep the body guessing brah

Things like love handles or some moobage is when some people give up on the gym and fitness. They are used to seeing big drops and differences because they weighed a lot and when it comes down to the nitty gritty often quit because they cant seem to see a difference (even though it will be there just not as immediate or noticeable)

Awesome. Thanks buddy. It's literally just like 2 pounds of fat, probably less, that inconveniently are hiding my rockin abs

I've missed these boards.

I've been doing home exercises (supersets) and also using weights since round about last July. Also started running but then it got too cold so got a cross trainer and a rowing machine.

I am 180cm tall (6foot) and was 90kg (14½stone).

Still 180cm tall (6foot) but down to 83kg (13ish stone).

I've tried to exercise not for bulk but for tone and been really successful.

Did a body fat check recently and my body fat is down to 14%, which is only 2% off being a 'professional athlete'.

This was the best body fat checker I found: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Also here is a good blog for those wanting tips on the best exercises for toning, burning fat and building muscle at home: http://highlifeworkout.com/

There is also some real good pointers on what to eat and what not to eat to help exercise programmes. You can pay for his workoput but most of it available just through reading through the blog posts which also come with videos.

Loads of top tips and videos in his blog.
    Last edited by TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel; 2-2-12 at 20:44.

LukasBrodolski is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by NinJaSkrtel View Post
    I've been doing home exercises (supersets) and also using weights since round about last July. Also started running but then it got too cold so got a cross trainer and a rowing machine.

Did a body fat check recently and my body fat is down to 14%, which is only 2% off being a 'professional athlete'.

This was the best body fat checker I found: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Also here is a good blog for those wanting tips on the best exercises for toning, burning fat and building muscle at home: http://highlifeworkout.com/

There is also some real good pointers on what to eat and what not to eat to help exercise programmes. You can pay for his workoput but most of it available just through reading through the blog posts.

Richboy

Why didn't you get a treadmill if you wanted to run anyway? Rowing machine is a great investment. Absolute **** of a machine though, its the only workout i dont actually enjoy or look forward to, if that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Stim View Post
    That's the way,Lomes! If you're sweating in these Tundra like temperatures,you must be burning it off!
    I'm about to go running(15-20mins) to the gym ,then an hour in there & then the run home into a nice warm shower!
    Not long back, frost bite went in the shower! Jeeeeez its cold out there. I prepared myself before every downhill! Eyes streaming but a thoroughly enjoying 60 minute ride.

Jazzy-J is offline Most Amusing Forum Robson Green

There is also some real good pointers on what to eat and what not to eat to help exercise programmes. You can pay for his workoput but most of it available just through reading through the blog posts which also come with videos.

You're 5'11". Don't try to steal an inch on my watch.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyHands View Post
    Whats an inch between mates?

Quote Originally Posted by LukasBrodolski View Post
    Richboy

Why didn't you get a treadmill if you wanted to run anyway? Rowing machine is a great investment. Absolute **** of a machine though, its the only workout i dont actually enjoy or look forward to, if that makes sense
    It was the Missus that bought the Cross Trainer. She'd seen how ripped I was getting and felt a bit out of shape. She couldn't miss it to honest, I'm walking round the house in shorts only all the time now and its -9 outside.

Rowing machine I've had for years, but never properly used it. The Cross trainer is a proper sweating machine.

The one bit I'm struggling for shape in is the lower abs, so I've started doing one leg sets on a few ab exercises. I've read in a few places this really helps the lower abs.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyHands View Post

180 cm is not 6ft?.

Going to measure myself in my boots.
    Last edited by TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel; 2-2-12 at 21:09.

Just did 1000 crunches and about to go on a run for 30-60mins.

It was the Missus that bought the Cross Trainer. She'd seen how ripped I was getting and felt a bit out of shape. She couldn't miss it to honest, I'm walking round the house in shorts only all the time now and its -9 outside.

Rowing machine I've had for years, but never properly used it. The Cross trainer is a proper sweating machine.

The one bit I'm struggling for shape in is the lower abs, so I've started doing one leg sets on a few ab exercises. I've read in a few places this really helps the lower abs.
    What's a cross trainer look like/do? And could you link me to some Of these one leg sets for Ab exercises? I don't really get it, and lower Ab is part of my focus as well.

What should I focus on as a centreback? Any advice would be great

Quote Originally Posted by RyanBabylon View Post
    What's a cross trainer look like/do? And could you link me to some Of these one leg sets for Ab exercises? I don't really get it, and lower Ab is part of my focus as well.

What should I focus on as a centreback? Any advice would be great
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEv4dGriMCA for lower abs and core. Try not to fall over

Cross trainer. A cheap one too. Like with most of these types of exercise machines, you can set the resistance. I'd been running about 5km 3 or 4 time a week for about 3 month when the missus bought one of these. First Went on it, and after about 5 minutes I thought my legs were going to fall off. Its like a running machine but without high impact and you also move your arms, like power walking. Speed yourself up a bit and its really makes me sweat buckets.

http://highlifeworkout.com/ is a fantastic resource. http://highlifeworkout.com/2011/11/2...tough-workout/.

What I found on the abs was varying as many exercises as possible worked best, not counting reps but doing a set time on each and minimising breaks between sets. Jus tunfortunate for me, I didn't include any exercises for the lower part.
    Last edited by TeenageMutantNinJaSkrtel; 2-2-12 at 21:37.