Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Losing Fat/Gaining Muscle' Thread

1. #1 Default The 'Losing Fat/Gaining Muscle' Thread 
    EDIT: This thread is a year old now and it's good to see that it has helped those in need of it, as well as motivating them. It's not just about losing weight, it's about gaining muscle and shredding the fat. Much love x

Original Post:

Started off at 189lbs, standing at a standard 5ft 9" at the age of 22. Obviously wasn't happy with this and my really high aim is to get to around 150

Now on 175lbs and it all seems to be fat! Absolutely love it and everyone can tell the difference (kind of an insult to be honest, everyone pretty much saying I was a right tub of lard ).

Week by week I was losing:

First week - 7lbs
    Second week - 3 lbs
    Third week - 2lbs
    Fourth week - 1lb

Started off really well and was dropping it like mad, but gradually it's decreasing and I haven't really changed much in what I was doing, in fact, I'm going to the gym a couple more times a week (could possibly be muscle I'm putting on while losing the fat) and I'm also playing football and extra 2 times a week. Kind of confusing really.

Been eating all the right stuff, not been drinking, quit smoking, no junk food, plenty of salads, fruit and veg.

Problem is I think I'm just going to stop losing weight somehow as it doesn't seem to be going as quickly!

Anyone got any tips for losing it, anything will do really
    Last edited by -Monk-; 19-5-13 at 00:57.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Hobbes. is offline Bandwagon jumper of the year
    Burn more than you take in. And if your exercising, don't worry about the weight, more the body shape. Muscle weighs more than fat etc.

-SilkySkills- is offline First team regular
    I have been on a diet after xmas and have ate nothing but healthy foods , but i crave eating more so i eat loads of healthy foods

'Stim is offline First team regular
    Don't worry Reina-Monk,you're doing a brilliant job!
    To be honest you're doing all the right things,just like the old saying goes,you really are what you eat,if you excercise like you are & continue with a sensible freshfood protein-vegetable & fruit diet in time that bodyfat will be burned off,it will have no choice but to whittle away to nothing!
    Look at it the same way as you did when you gave up smoking....it has to become a way of life-committement for the better health & body. It's as simple as that. Don't become obsessed about the scales & what they say either,if you're looking at the weighing scales all the time,you get a "short time frame gain-frame of mind" ,you'll know you're putting off weight via bodyfat not necessarily weight overall because remember you're doing weights at the gym and muscle-mass adds weight too,if you want to know if you're losing weight i.e. body fat,you'll only have to look at your trouser waist size instead and the belt using the innermost holes as the bodyfat comes off-soon enough smaller trousers/clothes will be needed!. Look at it as a change in lifestyle like stopping smoking-think long term-not short term-you will get there in time if you stick to it. It's a matter of acceptance-you've accepted that you were overweight,you accepted that diet change & excercise for weight loss was needed,now accept that this could take 18 months or maybe longer to achieve that 34 or 32" waist-It will take as long as it takes and if you stick to your current plan the goal will arrive earlier rather than later. Don't worry,these things take time,and by stopping smoking and putting off weight,well that is 'kin outstanding work 'Monk,it really is. Because nearly always everbody puts on weight after stopping smoking,so a massive Gold Star for that one. Just keep doing what you're doing and in time it will come-look at it as a long term project,for the rest of your life & your health.

Go on Reina-Monk !!!

You'll Never Walk Alone
    Last edited by 'Stim; 30-1-12 at 18:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Stim View Post
    Don't worry Reina-Monk,you're doing a brilliant job!
    To be honest you're doing all the right things,just like the old saying goes,you really are what you eat,if you excercise like you are & continue with a sensible freshfood protein-vegetable & fruit diet in time that bodyfat will be burned off,it will have no choice but to whittle away to nothing!
    Look at it the same way as you did when you gave up smoking....it has to become a way of life-committement for the better health & body. It's as simple as that. Don't become obsessed about the scales & what they say either,if you're looking at the weighing scales all the time,you get a "short time frame gain-frame of mind" ,you'll know you're putting off weight via bodyfat not necessarily weight overall because remember you're doing weights at the gym and muscle-mass adds weight too,if you want to know if you're losing weight i.e. body fat,you'll only have to look at your trouser waist size instead and the belt using the innermost holes as the bodyfat comes off-soon enough smaller trousers/clothes will be needed!. Look at it as a change in lifestyle like stopping smoking-think long term-not short term-you will get there in time if you stick to it. It's a matter of acceptance-you've accepted that you were overweight,you accepted that diet change & excercise for weight loss was needed,now accept that this could take 18 months or maybe longer to achieve that 34 or 32" waist-It will take as long as it takes and if you stick to your current plan the goal will arrive earlier rather than later. Don't worry,these things take time,and by stopping smoking and putting off weight,well that is 'kin outstanding work 'Monk,it really is. Because nearly always everbody puts on weight after stopping smoking,so a massive Gold Star for that one. Just keep doing what you're doing and in time it will come-look at it as a long term project,for the rest of your life & your health.

Go on Reina-Monk !!!

You'll Never Walk Alone
    ******* love you mate

Cheers for all the top notes and what not, already on 34" waist, just really want to lose all the fat and keep the muscle I have and want to gain. To be honest I do have a fair bit of muscle on me and that takes up a lot of the weight, just want to get rid of the love handles, belly and moobs. Get those abs showing and those pecks pumping

Quote Originally Posted by Reina-the-Monk View Post
    ******* love you mate

Cheers for all the top notes and what not, already on 34" waist, just really want to lose all the fat and keep the muscle I have and want to gain. To be honest I do have a fair bit of muscle on me and that takes up a lot of the weight, just want to get rid of the love handles, belly and moobs. Get those abs showing and those pecks pumping
    You are doing just fine mate,you don't need to do anything drastic at all-if you drink Beer-maybe give wine a go instead-that will help loads-"Beer Belly" will be no more!
    I reckon if you stick to the really healthy diet & excercise like you're already doing,and with you only being a frisky young pup at 22 years old with a hearty metabolism to boot,you'll have this cracked by the summer! You'll be able to go to the beach and sport that tight physique and maybe get a few admiring glances from the lovely ladies too!

Go Reina-Monk Go !!!
    Last edited by 'Stim; 30-1-12 at 18:28.

I've also been trying to slim down. After the Christmas break I was about 175 and I'm 5,7. I've been trying to eat healthy and lower my calorie intake to about 2000 a day (it was probably closer to 3000 before. Lost about 5 pounds in the first week and just a few pounds in the last two weeks. So I'm entering my 4th week now and I'm hoping to really stick to it this week and exorcise hard and shed some more weight. My goal is to be around 155 in a few months time.

Quote Originally Posted by Saskpool View Post
    I've also been trying to slim down. After the Christmas break I was about 175 and I'm 5,7. I've been trying to eat healthy and lower my calorie intake to about 2000 a day (it was probably closer to 3000 before. Lost about 5 pounds in the first week and just a few pounds in the last two weeks. So I'm entering my 4th week now and I'm hoping to really stick to it this week and exorcise hard and shed some more weight. My goal is to be around 155 in a few months time.
    Cracking Stuff Sask!!!
    Keep it going & you'll be just fine-good for you!!!

After converting that to metrics i must say it is really not that bad. Not even close to what I was expecting

Your heigh/weight ratio is not too far from mine tbh.

Stop looking at the numbers and look in the mirror. Like Panic said, muscles weigh more than fat and so on. Just keep working out because it gives you a lot of extra energy and because being healthy is fun.

Good luck mate

I just go by stone and my scale say meteor

BilbaoBaggins is offline Academy prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Saskpool View Post
    I've cut mine down from 3000-1500/1000, most of my calories came from coke, I drank a ridiculous amount of the stuff, I now drink some D.coke and Orange squash, 2 weeks, 3 inches of waist, not brilliant but happy enough.

Started off at 189lbs, standing at a standard 5ft 9" at the age of 22. Obviously wasn't happy with this and my really high aim is to get to around 150

Now on 175lbs and it all seems to be fat! Absolutely love it and everyone can tell the difference (kind of an insult to be honest, everyone pretty much saying I was a right tub of lard ).

Week by week I was losing:

First week - 7lbs
    Second week - 3 lbs
    Third week - 2lbs
    Fourth week - 1lb

Started off really well and was dropping it like mad, but gradually it's decreasing and I haven't really changed much in what I was doing, in fact, I'm going to the gym a couple more times a week (could possibly be muscle I'm putting on while losing the fat) and I'm also playing football and extra 2 times a week. Kind of confusing really.

Been eating all the right stuff, not been drinking, quit smoking, no junk food, plenty of salads, fruit and veg.

Problem is I think I'm just going to stop losing weight somehow as it doesn't seem to be going as quickly!

Anyone got any tips for losing it, anything will do really
    Actually what you are experiencing is quite normal. Losing weight is a long term commitment. I know a trainer who calls it "peaks and valleys" for one while always have a changing weight. As long as you continue to eat healthy, exercise properly you should be okay. Do not get disinterested if one week you have a weight gain for muscle weighs more than fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stim View Post
    You are doing just fine mate,you don't need to do anything drastic at all-if you drink Beer-maybe give wine a go instead-that will help loads-"Beer Belly" will be no more!
    I reckon if you stick to the really healthy diet & excercise like you're already doing,and with you only being a frisky young pup at 22 years old with a hearty metabolism to boot,you'll have this cracked by the summer! You'll be able to go to the beach and sport that tight physique and maybe get a few admiring glances from the lovely ladies too!

Go Reina-Monk Go !!!
    Love it mate

Quote Originally Posted by KarlAgathon View Post
    After converting that to metrics i must say it is really not that bad. Not even close to what I was expecting

Your heigh/weight ratio is not too far from mine tbh.

Stop looking at the numbers and look in the mirror. Like Panic said, muscles weigh more than fat and so on. Just keep working out because it gives you a lot of extra energy and because being healthy is fun.

Good luck mate
    Thanks bud, looking in the mirror is a massive motivation for me because I really don't like what I see to be honest! But the girlfriend says I'm a anorexic girl trapped in a mans body because I'm not as fat as I make out to be, but I'm sure that's just her being nice and not wanting to get stuck in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Yowa View Post
    Actually what you are experiencing is quite normal. Losing weight is a long term commitment. I know a trainer who calls it "peaks and valleys" for one while always have a changing weight. As long as you continue to eat healthy, exercise properly you should be okay. Do not get disinterested if one week you have a weight gain for muscle weighs more than fat.
    Top man

Cut out the carbs.

No fruit, rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, red meat.
    Stick to fish, chicken, veg, omelettes for breakfast and half the yolks, salads.
    Make sure to have a day off one day per week though, reset your metabolism, build up the proteins etc & of course exercise.
    Interval training is a great way of losing the weight, use a cardio machine, the treadmill or exercise bike are perfect for interval training, really work a high intensity for one or two minutes then slow right down for a minute then up again, repeat that for 15-20mins, you'll burn of the fat in no time & if you do it right you shouldn't be able to hold a sentence when you're in your cool down minute.

Been going down a gym for the past year and a half & started on a proper training regime back in November, went from 16st to 12st7 since then in part with the help above, on top of my cardio I also do weight and ab training, again that's all good for burning off the fat but don't forget at some point your muscle weight will play a factor, I now don't worry about my weight, I'm near enough at my optimum anyway just need to keep building my muscles up and lose this flabbyness, started off at 18st in 2010 so have come along way, most my weight was due in part because of a long term injury which thankfully I'm now over.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Hawkster View Post
    Cut out the carbs.

Stick to fish, chicken, veg, omelettes for breakfast and half the yolks, salads.
    Make sure to have a day off one day per week though, reset your metabolism, build up the proteins etc & of course exercise.
    Interval training is a great way of losing the weight, use a cardio machine, the treadmill or exercise bike are perfect for interval training, really work a high intensity for one or two minutes then slow right down for a minute then up again, repeat that for 15-20mins, you'll burn of the fat in no time & if you do it right you shouldn't be able to hold a sentence when you're in your cool down minute.

Been going down a gym for the past year and a half & started on a proper training regime back in November, went from 16st to 12st7 since then in part with the help above, on top of my cardio I also do weight and ab training, again that's all good for burning off the fat but don't forget at some point your muscle weight will play a factor, I now don't worry about my weight, I'm near enough at my optimum anyway just need to keep building my muscles up and lose this flabbyness, started off at 18st in 2010 so have come along way, most my weight was due in part because of a long term injury which thankfully I'm now over.
    **** that ****!

Cut out the carbs.

Brilliant mate nice one.

Brilliant mate nice one.
    Good luck on you're diet mate.
    I don't think they work that well to be honest I mean cut out fruit & potatoes? how are they bad for you?
    I'm not trying to put you off, just don't go overboard on these things or you'll crave them badly.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyandtheHenderson View Post
    I don't think they work that well to be honest I mean cut out fruit & potatoes? how are they bad for you?
    I'm not trying to put you off, just don't go overboard on these things or you'll crave them badly.
    Usually if I have a craving I'll eat a banana or cut some salad up and chomp on a **** load

Still have potatos and all my carbs, can't kick everything out

Just tryna do it in a more healthy way to be honest

Cheers though mate!

Can't wait till I can actually see my abs for the first time

Usually if I have a craving I'll eat a banana or cut some salad up and chomp on a **** load

I have noticed that boiled egg and brown toast with a banana for afters takes away the hunger cravings

Hobbes. is offline Bandwagon jumper of the year
    Well done to anyone who is watching their food.

I just wanted to say that I am currently devouring a pack of chocolate digestives.

I agree, I lost 50lbs(22.7kg) in 3-4 months. I never went on an actual diet. I find most diets are way to extreme and actually can hurt you more than help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic-Button View Post

I just wanted to say that I am currently devouring a pack of chocolate digestives.
    You only give me strength to keep going ....with tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Panic-Button View Post

Pack of Time-Out upstairs, tempting.

Also, does anyone know how much chicken is too much chicken, cos I just can't get enough of chicken

Also, right outside Uni there's a Subway and I'm having one every day at lunch, not that bad is it? It's a low fat one

Quote Originally Posted by Yowa View Post
    I agree, I lost 50lbs(22.7kg) in 3-4 months. I never went on an actual diet. I find most diets are way to extreme and actually can hurt you more than help you.
    How the **** did you do that?

I'm not exactly on a strict diet, just trying to keep it healthy, it's a pretty good feeling to be honest.

Cheers though mate!

Can't wait till I can actually see my abs for the first time
    Just speaking from experience mate, I remember being told that diet coke would make me put on weight??
    I'm back on a diet just to lose a bit of weight off my waist want to get to around 28-30 inches before I turn 18, 32 right now, turn 18 a week on friday, so should achive my goal.

tweepie is offline LFC Forums Moderator
    Cut out the carbs.

What you're advising him to do is wrong.

You should never cut out a food group completely. Your body needs carbs.
    It's best switching to wholegrain carbohydrates as much as possible as they contain more fibre and eat more of them early in the day as opposed to late at night so that your body has time to burn them.
    What I also do is, try to balance the amount of bread I have, so if I have toast at breakfast time, I'll avoid having bread for lunch if I can.
    Also, fruit is healthy, you shouldn't cut it out it's a myth that it's bad for you because it contains sugar. The sugars it contains are of the natural variety and not the processed kind you find in sugary drinks and other sweets. Bananas especially are a good source of potassium and help to keep you full if you have one with your lunch, or even as a snack to keep you going.

There is also nothing wrong with red meat, once it's of the lean variety. Everything in moderation as they say.

To the OP, your weight loss rate is completely natural, you always have a big loss the first week and after that it tapers off. A healthy weight loss is a sustained 1 - 2 pounds per week, but even this gets less and less the longer you stay losing weight.
    In fact, the slower you take the weight off, the more likely you are to keep it off.
    Keep a good balanced diet (with all food types) drink plenty of water and limit the amount of caffeine and alcohol you take.
    That coupled with regular exercise will have you at your goal weight and shape.
    YNWA

Quote Originally Posted by tweepie View Post
    What you're advising him to do is wrong.

You should never cut out a food group completely. Your body needs carbs.
    It's best switching to wholegrain carbohydrates as much as possible as they contain more fibre and eat more of them early in the day as opposed to late at night so that your body has time to burn them.
    What I also do is, try to balance the amount of bread I have, so if I have toast at breakfast time, I'll avoid having bread for lunch if I can.
    Also, fruit is healthy, you shouldn't cut it out it's a myth that it's bad for you because it contains sugar. The sugars it contains are of the natural variety and not the processed kind you find in sugary drinks and other sweets. Bananas especially are a good source of potassium and help to keep you full if you have one with your lunch, or even as a snack to keep you going.

There is also nothing wrong with red meat, once it's of the lean variety. Everything in moderation as they say.

To the OP, your weight loss rate is completely natural, you always have a big loss the first week and after that it tapers off. A healthy weight loss is a sustained 1 - 2 pounds per week, but even this gets less and less the longer you stay losing weight.
    In fact, the slower you take the weight off, the more likely you are to keep it off.
    Keep a good balanced diet (with all food types) drink plenty of water and limit the amount of caffeine and alcohol you take.
    That coupled with regular exercise will have you at your goal weight and shape.
    Ah right cheers for that boss.

There's nothing wrong with eating Fruit,quite the contrary,it's good for you with natural easily digestable/dispersable sugars & glucose, as long as you don't eat/drink other sugary things,a Banana with a Wholegrain Cereal at brekkie is fine,1-2 apples per day is fine,handful of grapes is fine,tomatoe in salad is fine. Potatoes are worth cutting down on though,they're starchy & packed with Carbs,better to have a slice of Wholemeal bread instead. Alot of it is common sense really. Chips in a white bread buttered butty are not good,obviously,a chicken & salad lowfat veg oil spread wholemeal sandwich is better.Carbs are needed to a certain extent for energy,just not too many. If the bad things like pastry,biscuits,cakes,crisps & generally glutenous processed foods are steered clear of,your making things alot easier on one's self.
    Last edited by 'Stim; 31-1-12 at 00:04.

How the **** did you do that?

I'm not exactly on a strict diet, just trying to keep it healthy, it's a pretty good feeling to be honest.
    I played baseball, American football, hockey and some basketball when I was younger and was at a constant 220 lbs. I had a severe shoulder problem and could not afford surgery so I just quit all of them. I gained a good few lbs all in the ab region. So I never really had to work my arms, legs(been able to squat 400lbs since I was 15) and back. I just got really determined and cut out all bad food and lost all the fat and now at my 220 again I could cut down to 200-205 but I like my weight here.

Cut out the carbs.

This is where i get lost , i have just been eating fruit and veg ,potatos ,rice ,fish ,red top milk ,brown bread ,special k ,and low fat soups , and i have almost lost a stone in a month , 3/4 of a stone in total ,i just go on asda website online and order my food in the new year new you section

also low fat microwave meals

what would be the best winning formula ?
    Last edited by -SilkySkills-; 31-1-12 at 00:10.