Notices
Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 78 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2321

Thread: The Game of Thrones TV series thread

  1. #2191  
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,384
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    GoT is back! woohooooo! It's always great to watch new material and not a repeat scene for the tenth time

    Arya's opening scene was brilliant, a bit of revenge action is always good but it's a bit underwhelming as far as 'revenge for the Red Wedding' goes. I guess there's no time for an elaborate revenge plot so it'll have to do.

    All the other bits were just setup for the next 6 episodes but it would've been nice if they'd sped it all up a bit - it just seemed a little too 'introductory' which we should've been past by now.

    We got a glimpse of 'Hightower' with the ever burning flame which was cool.

    Anyone else notice the Valyrian Steel Dagger from Season One in the book Fat-Sam was reading? Nice little touch I thought. I wonder if the Dagger has some important part to play in the future?

    I think I've worked out how Ser Jorah gets cured. Sam will bathe him in the 'slops' he empties out everyday Massage it in to the skin 3 times a day....
    Do you get the impression that maybe the maesters are up to no good?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  2. #2192  
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    28,515
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonFans View Post
    Do you get the impression that maybe the maesters are up to no good?
    No I don't think so, stands to reason they have isolation rooms for people with greyscale and other conditions like it, and they did kick out the maester who brought back the Mountain, forgot his name
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  3. #2193  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,967
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonFans View Post
    Do you get the impression that maybe the maesters are up to no good?
    I got the impression they're old farts who don't concern themselves with what's going on outside. They just record that **** in their books. I hope there is some wider conspiracy but I don't think the show will go in to it as it seems they're simplifying for the end game. Everyone's path seems to be 'set up' and you can predict what's coming already - I hope I'm wrong.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  4. #2194  
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    28,515
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    I got the impression they're old farts who don't concern themselves with what's going on outside. They just record that **** in their books. I hope there is some wider conspiracy but I don't think the show will go in to it as it seems they're simplifying for the end game. Everyone's path seems to be 'set up' and you can predict what's coming already - I hope I'm wrong.
    Yeah, that speech the arch maester have to Sam was logical but fails to take into account that it's hard to pass on historical knowledge when you have an ice lance through your belly, the realms of men might respect the order of the maesters, not sure White Walkers share that same respect though.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  5. #2195  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,967
    Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    Yeah, that speech the arch maester have to Sam was logical but fails to take into account that it's hard to pass on historical knowledge when you have an ice lance through your belly, the realms of men might respect the order of the maesters, not sure White Walkers share that same respect though.
    This thing of "the Wall has stood for blah blah Years..." has been said a few times too many now (in Jon's meeting and then the Maester to Sam) - That Wall is so coming down!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  6. #2196  
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,384
    Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    No I don't think so, stands to reason they have isolation rooms for people with greyscale and other conditions like it, and they did kick out the maester who brought back the Mountain, forgot his name
    Are you a book reader, by any chance?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  7. #2197  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,967
    Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    No I don't think so, stands to reason they have isolation rooms for people with greyscale and other conditions like it, and they did kick out the maester who brought back the Mountain, forgot his name
    Cersei's pet Qyburn (I really like him btw)
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  8. #2198  
    JurgenBelieveUs is online now Academy prospect
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    10,012
    The dialogue and pacing has really taken a nose dive since they ran out of book material to adapt.

    It's still a cracking show don't get me wrong... just a lot more one-dimensional the past season or so.

    As for last night I found Ed Sheeran's appearance jarring and gimmicky, but loved Arya's opening and Daenerys' return to Dragonstone.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  9. #2199  
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    28,515
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonFans View Post
    Are you a book reader, by any chance?
    no, only ever watched the tv show
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  10. #2200  
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,384
    Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    no, only ever watched the tv show
    Ah, gotcha. Well without going to into the weeds, there is a decent amount of evidence that the Maesters don't exactly live to serve and may be advancing their own agenda.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  11. #2201  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,478
    I think the Ed Sheeran scene is about rolling Arya back from full on Terminator mode. As she seems to be like Arnie in the first film, Sarah Connor in the second and Cromatie in the Sarah Connor Chronicles. So her story arc may develop so she is more like Arnie in the subsequent films or Cameron and even possibly Catherine Weaver in TSCC.

    As they appear to be just Lannister bannermen who are following orders of investigating some mysterious goings on at Riverrun. Showing that at the grunt level soldiers on either side are just the same. Have hopes and dreams like becoming a singer or finding out whether he has a son or a daughter.

    So the season may end up with her only going after the key players and not some random Frey or Lannister who she comes across.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  12. #2202  
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    28,515
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    This thing of "the Wall has stood for blah blah Years..." has been said a few times too many now (in Jon's meeting and then the Maester to Sam) - That Wall is so coming down!
    yep it's nailed on, probably going to be the climax of this season so episode 6 or 7 taking into account the previous seasons and the reduced episode count now.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  13. #2203  
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    28,515
    Quote Originally Posted by paul143 View Post
    I think the Ed Sheeran scene is about rolling Arya back from full on Terminator mode. As she seems to be like Arnie in the first film, Sarah Connor in the second and Cromatie in the Sarah Connor Chronicles. So her story arc may develop so she is more like Arnie in the subsequent films or Cameron and even possibly Catherine Weaver in TSCC.

    As they appear to be just Lannister bannermen who are following orders of investigating some mysterious goings on at Riverrun. Showing that at the grunt level soldiers on either side are just the same. Have hopes and dreams like becoming a singer or finding out whether he has a son or a daughter.

    So the season may end up with her only going after the key players and not some random Frey or Lannister who she comes across.
    but she has met plenty of Lannister bannermen before, like when she left Kings Landing.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  14. #2204  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,478
    Quote Originally Posted by angelYNWA View Post
    but she has met plenty of Lannister bannermen before, like when she left Kings Landing.
    true but she also knows how to play it smart. As without the help of "a man" Gendry, Hotpie and herself were never going to leave Harrenhal in an upright position.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  15. #2205  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,967
    Talking of Maesters - I wonder if the Citadel will be sending a new Grand Maester to King's Landing now that Pycell has met the Father? It can't be Qyburn as he's been struck off or will they just not mention it?
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  16. #2206  
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    28,515
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    Cersei's pet Qyburn (I really like him btw)
    he definitely has a Josef Mengele feel about him
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  17. #2207  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,478
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    Talking of Maesters - I wonder if the Citadel will be sending a new Grand Maester to King's Landing now that Pycelle has met the Father? It can't be Qyburn as he's been struck off or will they just not mention it?
    Although would Cersei declare its the Queen's wish that Qyburn not only should have his chain returned he should be made Arch Maester or the Maesters can say hello to her little friend.

    http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Gregor_Clegane
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  18. #2208  
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,384
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    Talking of Maesters - I wonder if the Citadel will be sending a new Grand Maester to King's Landing now that Pycell has met the Father? It can't be Qyburn as he's been struck off or will they just not mention it?
    I think she is beyond the point of caring.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  19. #2209  
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    8,119
    Cant read this thread as im a complete newbie thats only just started the boxset, literally on the 2nd episode.

    Ive ummed and ahhhed for ages about starting this and ive finally decided too but i need some advice is it worth doing?

    My favourite boxsets have been stuff like prison break, the sopranos and westworld, Game of thrones doesnt really strike me as something id be into but loads of people say "me neither but i love it"

    So any advice on why i should stick with it or sack it off would be appreciated.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  20. #2210  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,967
    So the book fat-Sam was reading may hold the key to Ser Jorah's grayscale cure? Dragonglass may be able to help. It's possible Dragonglass was used to cure Shireen on Dragonstone
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  21. #2211  
    WilbertoSilva is online now First team regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    31,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Baros--5 View Post
    Cant read this thread as im a complete newbie thats only just started the boxset, literally on the 2nd episode.

    Ive ummed and ahhhed for ages about starting this and ive finally decided too but i need some advice is it worth doing?

    My favourite boxsets have been stuff like prison break, the sopranos and westworld, Game of thrones doesnt really strike me as something id be into but loads of people say "me neither but i love it"

    So any advice on why i should stick with it or sack it off would be appreciated.
    It's definitely worth it. There's obviously the 'fantasy' element to it, but most of it is interaction between the characters. Murder, deceit, conniving...all the good stuff.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  22. #2212  
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,233
    Ed Sheerana and This is England was ridiculous and actually interrupted the escapism.

    But how good is the Hound! He get the best lines!
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  23. #2213  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,598
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterPoolStark View Post
    So the book fat-Sam was reading may hold the key to Ser Jorah's grayscale cure? Dragonglass may be able to help. It's possible Dragonglass was used to cure Shireen on Dragonstone
    Oooo, good pick up. She still had the scars of Greyscale though so it might just arrest the dissease and make it harmless. Imagine the progress in Jorah?
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  24. #2214  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,598
    There's a good youtube video by user "Alt Shift X" I was watching last night breaking down why Cersei is the person she is today. Worth a watch. TBH I love all his videos on Game of Thrones and he has some quite compelling theories in a well made format.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  25. #2215  
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,975
    Pretty standard for a GoT premiere, every year people complain about the slowness of the earlier episodes and I guess this season, with so few episodes remaining, there is a bit more justification in the complaints.

    However, it quite clearly laid the chess pieces on the table, setting up the season, and this theme was really rammed home in levels of metaphors and exposition I've never seen in an episode before. Jamie and Cersei literally stand on a huge map of Westeros and spell out to viewers where all the remaining key players are, while Dany too ends standing over another map and mutters the line "shall we begin?"

    Yes, we can now begin.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  26. #2216  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    20,436
    I am so glad to see it back, all be it for a very short run, having said that it will be all good if it keeps up to the quality of last nights episode.

    There was no need for that Ed sheeran cameo though, i must admit, the kid from this is england, I thought was quite good and didnt really affect me at all, its not the first time and it will not be the last.

    It was not long ago that I was expecting finchy from the office to challenge theon to a game of throwing a shoe over winterfell.

    Looking forward to more and I am even looking forward to the eventual spin offs as well.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  27. #2217  
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    17,478
    Quote Originally Posted by WilbertoSilva View Post
    It's definitely worth it. There's obviously the 'fantasy' element to it, but most of it is interaction between the characters. Murder, deceit, conniving...all the good stuff.
    Agreed what George RR Martin has done is take elements of history like the Wars of the Roses and put a fantasy spin on it. He has also created a story that on the whole there is no Good and Evil side but the shades of grey that had existed and continue to exist.

    Each character's motivations are understandable from their point of view.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  28. #2218  
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,598
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    I am so glad to see it back, all be it for a very short run, having said that it will be all good if it keeps up to the quality of last nights episode.

    There was no need for that Ed sheeran cameo though, i must admit, the kid from this is england, I thought was quite good and didnt really affect me at all, its not the first time and it will not be the last.

    It was not long ago that I was expecting finchy from the office to challenge theon to a game of throwing a shoe over winterfell.

    Looking forward to more and I am even looking forward to the eventual spin offs as well.
    Oh yes, the whole series has a rich history that could be exploited as well as source material in the dunk and egg books. I'd love to see any expansion to the series outside of the actual ASOIAF novels.
    Eat. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  29. #2219  
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    20,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Eloader View Post
    Oh yes, the whole series has a rich history that could be exploited as well as source material in the dunk and egg books. I'd love to see any expansion to the series outside of the actual ASOIAF novels.
    Yep, judging by the popularity of the series these are inevitable.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

  30. #2220  
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,967
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDilkington View Post
    Yep, judging by the popularity of the series these are inevitable.
    I'd like to see:

    (1) The Doom of Valyria

    (2) Aegon's Landing

    (3) The Dance of the Dragons

    They could put 1 and 2 in to one Series and then make 3 later on - I would love that! GoT fans will be able to relate too as most of the Great Houses will be mentioned and involved.
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   



Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •