In the last 20 minutes of the Aston Villa game we applied or at least seemed to apply more pressure. This and determination are the 2 most probable reasons that lead to us getting our goal. This, I believe is what we've been lacking all season in the league. We need more of this and I'll try and show my ideas of how we can do that in this thread;
I was also watching Man Utd today, hoping (though bleak) that QPR would thwart them. However, the pressure they applied was brilliant (though I'd hate to admit it). Yes the ref was pathetic too, but that's not the point. They were dominant through out the game.
The factors for this in my opinion are:
-QPR were weakened by the red card, and they were probably a bit apprehensive.
-United came in waves unlike us who just seem to arrive like 1 big tsunami at times and waste the chances. What I mean by this is, United formed something like a circle around the QPR attacking area. This prevented QPR from venturing into United's third and also allowed United to get the ball back easily when QPR cleared the ball...
-Though some scum fans criticize them for not shooting enough, I believe this is actually a good thing. Our statistics can be slightly misrepresenting considering the number of non-clear cut chances (If you could put it that way) we've tried to take on. They seemed to be far more patient than us, compared to how we played Villa in the first half.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to model our team behind the scum. Definitely not, I'm a red through and through, but what I'm trying to say is they demonstrated how to put pressure on certain teams today, we have been failing to do this and this can be something we can work on to end our poor run of form in front of goal.
So what I think could help us is;
- Getting more men, in and around the D.
- When one of our players moves forward, another 3 at least should follow immediately to support him. E.g. as RossMosh suggested when players like Suarez and Gerrard are on the ball we need other players making runs and offering themselves as options to pass to. This will either free up some space or drag a defender or two away from the person on the ball. We played like this once Kenny returned(last season), why revert now?
- We must be more patient in our decision making. If you shoot you donít score, yes. But that doesnít mean we shoot just for the sake of shooting or out of frustration.
- We need to go at the opposition in waves and for that to happen we need our full-backs to be over lapping more. While Enrique does that quite often and enough, when Johnson is not around, Kelly (& Flanno) donít do likewise and thatís part of what they have to work on a bit more.
- Playing Henderson on the right hand side just doesnít work. Play Stevie or Downing there as someone else suggested to get real width and Bellamy or Maxi on the left. Because Kuyt and Bellamy both have a tendency cut in or get into striking positions when theyíre played as wingers. (Bellamy especially on the right hand side).
- I may have missed out on a few points I had in mind considering this was a longish article, and I will add that through the course of this thread if I have to. I thank everyone who has taken the patience to read this including the mod who approved this