Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: A question about policy

1. #1 Default A question about policy 
    Hi Matt,

I know that we have a lot of busy people who use these forums, both moderators and casual users. Oftentimes, people will not be able to read a whole thread and discern the various views of various posters - it's presumably for this reason that quote editing is a punishable offence, because it sends a falsified message about one poster to all the other posters.

What's the policy on unashamedly putting words in someone's mouth as naturalskill does so frequently, with the most recent example being in the 'Did Maxi Play Because Of John Henry' thread in the main forum? Being told you're a Kenny-hater when you've said and done nothing to give that impression?

I'm not asking for any action to be taken against any poster, I'm just curious as to whether or not anything can be done about this particular abuse of an open forum.

Thanks
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Matt doesn't respond to Kenny haters.

Ad Rock the best thing to do is report the post and explain what your concern is in the report.

However, I've looked into that car crash of a thread and on that occasion there was no breaking of the T&C as far as I can see atm. Can you point me to where a post was edited and I'll have another look?

Regarding policy -we used to ban automatically for editing another person's post in a quote, but then relaxed it a bit if was in harmless banter understood by both sides. Malicious editing of a post will still get an infraction, or a ban if really bad.
    Last edited by Jannno; 15-4-12 at 01:14. Reason: added

cravenz is online now Community Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannno View Post
    Ad Rock the best thing to do is report the post and explain what your concern is in the report.

However, I've looked into that car crash of a thread and on that occasion there was no breaking of the T&C as far as I can see atm. Can you point me to where a post was edited and I'll have another look?

Regarding policy -we used to ban automatically for editing another person's post in a quote, but then relaxed it a bit if was in harmless banter understood by both sides. Malicious editing of a post will still get an infraction, or a ban if really bad.
    Jannno, I think it is more a case of one poster putting words into another poster's mouth resulting in misrepresentation. I think that is what Ad-Rock is getting at, though I could be wrong since the thread is about quote-editing.

Ad-Rock: If it is the former, there is not much we can do about it unless the person ends up trolling and wumming in an attempt to wind you up (as it would be their opinion or interpretation of your opinions). Where that happens, I think it is best you report it as well. But make your stand clear that it is a misrepresentation so that the other person is aware, and if they continue doing it, then you have grounds for recourse as it enhances the proofing that the person is really just mentioning for an agenda.
    Last edited by Jannno; 15-4-12 at 06:13. Reason: spelled my name right!

Janno and Cravenz have summed it up. We used to have a blanket ban and we don't encourage this, but we will look at the context and if it's good humoured and not intended to deceive then we won't infract.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenz View Post
    Jannno, I think it is more a case of one poster putting words into another poster's mouth resulting in misrepresentation. I think that is what Ad-Rock is getting at, though I could be wrong since the thread is about quote-editing.

Ad-Rock: If it is the former, there is not much we can do about it unless the person ends up trolling and wumming in an attempt to wind you up (as it would be their opinion or interpretation of your opinions). Where that happens, I think it is best you report it as well. But make your stand clear that it is a misrepresentation so that the other person is aware, and if they continue doing it, then you have grounds for recourse as it enhances the proofing that the person is really just mentioning for an agenda.
    Done it with me did NaturalSkill for a month even though I was denying it. Maybe you know, Cravenz. I find no satisfaction in another poster being banned but there is not much you can do about that one. I tried with him from being respectful to laughing it off and he would not stop. If he comes back and does it again I will report it.

cravenz is online now Community Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Somethang View Post
    Done it with me did NaturalSkill for a month even though I was denying it. Maybe you know, Cravenz. I find no satisfaction in another poster being banned but there is not much you can do about that one. I tried with him from being respectful to laughing it off and he would not stop. If he comes back and does it again I will report it.
    I know mate. I'm the one that dished out the ban. He does it with several people across the boards and it serves no constructive purpose for discussion here. Best to report it and ignore it when it happens. Won't go further than this because we shouldn't be discussing a person's ban.

We/I take no joy in having to ban someone, especially when they are posters who can contribute to the forums positively. But if one persists in having a personal agenda and derailing several threads, it will be dealt with.