Notices
Reply to Thread

Thread: Golf question

1. #1 Default Golf question 
    When talking about distance,ie how far you can hit a golf ball, are you talking about when the ball hits the ground, or when the ball stops moving?

Like if I drive a golf ball, and it hits the ground at 200 yards, but rolls aother 50 yards before it stops.

Does that mean I can drive the ball 200 yards or 250 yards?

And p.s. Is hitting. 3wood 200 yards good, and is it normal for someone to hit the ball further with a 3 wood than a driver? Ty
    Reply With Quote   Quick reply to this message   Report Post   

Think it means 250, as that is how far you can smack the ball before it lands, (i.e. if the course is 320 yards long, you know that you can leave it 70 yards from the pin, even though it'll have bounced en route).

I'm more of a golf spectator than a player though, so don't take that as gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Inamedmydogtorres View Post
    When talking about distance,ie how far you can hit a golf ball, are you talking about when the ball hits the ground, or when the ball stops moving?

Like if I drive a golf ball, and it hits the ground at 200 yards, but rolls aother 50 yards before it stops.

250. The drive is where the ball stops.

Benny-Noons-Ghost is online now First team regular
    And p.s. Is hitting. 3wood 200 yards good, and is it normal for someone to hit the ball further with a 3 wood than a driver? Ty
    Varies from player to player. I've got a mate who's exactly the same. He can also ping a 7 iron way further than a 4.

Obviously you'd probably never make it as a top pro with that kind of random game But as an amateur, do what you feel best doing.

Don Cumbrian is offline First team regular
    If you can hit your 3 wood further than your driver you need to practice using a driver.

Where the ball stops....... if you calculate the distance to green from where the ball first bounced rather than where it stops your approach shot will be very WRONG.

If your hitting a 3 wood further than your Driver your doing something wrong........ its not un-usual for new players to have this problem....... same with Irons off the fairway....... lower the club number the harder it is to get a decent contact/ get the ball off the ground.

Without seeing you grip/swing I can't really offer any advice.......... 15mins in the nets with a club pro will pin point the problem....... more than likely you need a minor adjustment to your grip or feet position....... I line up with a driver differently to any other club as I allways used to struggle to get the *********** ball in the air with it........ now I got that stance/grip right it aint a problem to get it flying even off the fairway or light rough.

WirralRiddler is online now These posts brought to you by Dr Dre & Only Fools & Horses appreciation society

No.

Redhead is offline Luvvy of the year (Or Recognition if you must)...
    It is where the ball stops, ie: the total distance travelled.

The term used for the ball in the air to the point of landing is 'carry', ie: he's carried that 250 yards.

In relation to your driver, obviously you are meant to hit it further than your 3 wood, but there could be a couple of reasons why you don't. Firstly the loft of the club could be very low (eg: 7.5 degrees), these clubs are very difficult for novice players to hit. More often than not it results in the ball slicing off to the right (presuming you are right handed) at a low height. For this reason a three wood is easier to hit, builds up your confidence and consistency.

There are other reasons like your set-up, shaft of the club and things like swing speed but impossible to tell on a forum

Is your driver a different brand/model to your 3 wood just out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
    It is where the ball stops, ie: the total distance travelled.

The term used for the ball in the air to the point of landing is 'carry', ie: he's carried that 250 yards.

In relation to your driver, obviously you are meant to hit it further than your 3 wood, but there could be a couple of reasons why you don't. Firstly the loft of the club could be very low (eg: 7.5 degrees), these clubs are very difficult for novice players to hit. More often than not it results in the ball slicing off to the right (presuming you are right handed) at a low height. For this reason a three wood is easier to hit, builds up your confidence and consistency.

There are other reasons like your set-up, shaft of the club and things like swing speed but impossible to tell on a forum

Is your driver a different brand/model to your 3 wood just out of interest?
    Morning all, and Ty for your input. My 3 wood is a tailor-made burner and me driver is a Nike sq dymo so ya they are completely different. The driver is like a square head, that must be what the sq is for I just got that. Also I hit the ball then 250 yards with my. 3 wood is that good and if it is then is there a need to improve on mu driver

Redhead is offline Luvvy of the year (Or Recognition if you must)...
    Morning all, and Ty for your input. My 3 wood is a tailor-made burner and me driver is a Nike sq dymo so ya they are completely different. The driver is like a square head, that must be what the sq is for I just got that. Also I hit the ball then 250 yards with my. 3 wood is that good and if it is then is there a need to improve on mu driver
    Mate, if you're hitting your 3 wood consistently 250 yards there is no real need to be using a driver. Put it this way, I'd rather be 250 yards off the tee down the middle of the fairway, than 280-300 yards off the tee but that erratic I'm either knee high in grass or stuck in woodland with an impossible shot!

Mate, if you're hitting your 3 wood consistently 250 yards there is no real need to be using a driver. Put it this way, I'd rather be 250 yards off the tee down the middle of the fairway, than 280-300 yards off the tee but that erratic I'm either knee high in grass or stuck in woodland with an impossible shot!
    I agree, i play with low single figure handicap players and few of them hardly use the driver! 3 wood down the middle most of the time, even ive resorted to using a 3 wood instead of the driver on my local course and im off handicap of 16

Thanks man, I think I might just put the driver to the side for a while, it's just you know so tempting pull it out and have a go, although it 9 times out of 10 let's me down

The distance is where the balls ends up. You should hit a drivwer further than a 3wood but it doesnt matter either way as an amateur.

Edit: And if your drives are really going 250 yards then I wouldnt change a thing!!
    Last edited by xRedmanLFCx; 15-4-12 at 17:54.

Quote Originally Posted by xRedmanLFCx View Post
    The distance is where the balls ends up. You should hit a drivwer further than a 3wood but it doesnt matter either way as an amateur.

Edit: And if your drives are really going 250 yards then I wouldnt change a thing!!
    Ya man, they are, last year I had no bother with me 3 wood hitting it that distance, then this year I concentrated on my irons ( I had hybrids last year ) so when I went to the course my drives were crap, and what was worse is my father in law to be, his drive was unreal. He's been golfing since he was 11 and he is now late 50s, I've been on a course well less than 20 times in 3 years. Anyways, I've been out hitting him with my 3 wood and his driver up until this year. So I've been back at the driving range practicing my drives, and at last I can say I. Getting back to where I was before.

I love it to hear that 250 is a good range,, but is that below average, average or above average for an amateur golfer, also can people improve on distance or not

Captain Mauser is offline Charm School Teacher
    I've had a hole in one.

Bit off-topic I know, but any excuse to ******* tell someone.

Quote Originally Posted by PauloMossy View Post
    I've had a hole in one.

Bit off-topic I know, but any excuse to ******* tell someone.
    Crazy golf doesn't count.

I'm better, and more consistent, with my 3 wood than I am my driver to be honest.

You may, like me, need a new driver to rectify that.